PDA

View Full Version : Arsene Wenger appreciation thread

GP
20-04-2018, 09:11 AM
After 22 years, Three Premier League titles, a record breaking SEVEN FA Cups and a historic Invincible season, Arsene Wenger is to leave Arsenal Football Club at the end of the season.

Lets have a positive thread to remember the good times we had under his tenure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcE2RCKXK7I

Letters
20-04-2018, 09:14 AM
:good:

He stayed a bit too long but he took us to places I never thought I'd see us go.
When I was a kid The Double was spoken about in hushed tones, to see us do it twice... :bow:
Then there was the unbeaten season.
And all with a style of football I never thought I'd see Arsenal play.

Wenger :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
20-04-2018, 09:20 AM
I’m happy he is leaving. But now that he is, I can pay more focus on the early years. I was privileged enough to be able to attend almost every home game at Highbury.

The football I witnessed during that period will never be seen again.

Gooner23
20-04-2018, 09:31 AM
I loved the fact he dared to challenge Utd and Fergie, went toe to toe with them and often came out on top.

He also put together the dreamy Bergkamp - Henry - Pires combo :cloud9:

Bumble
20-04-2018, 09:33 AM
Created the best team in the premier league
Lehmann - Lauren - Cole - Campbell - Toure - Gilberto - Vieira - Ljungberg - Pires - Bergkamp - Henry

no weakness

Marc Overmars
20-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Will always be grateful for how he transformed the club and the team he put together during his first 10 years. We were so lucky to witness such an incredible team.

I fell out of love with him in the end as did many but I will always respect what he did for us and I'm glad we can finally put this tiresome debate about his future to rest.

Cheers Arsene. :scarf:

selassie
20-04-2018, 09:41 AM
He built some fantastic teams in his early years and transformed us into a leading PL team and at one stage genuine CL challenger.

I will never forget the invincibles season and throughout most of his time here the football we played was at a very high level.

Like MO has stated, I respect what he did, but fell out of love with him at the end (past couple of years especially).

Good luck Arsene and thanks for the memories.

Marc Overmars
20-04-2018, 09:43 AM
He said he thinks Vieira has the potential to succeed him.

:popcorn:

KSE Comedy Club
20-04-2018, 09:45 AM
He said he thinks Vieira has the potential to succeed him.

Oh no :sulk:

We need some proper pedigree experience

Xhaka Can’t
20-04-2018, 09:58 AM
I wanted to be there for the last game. Why didn’t I sign in right away?

Will have to say goodbye on Sunday.

Goonermerree
20-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the memories Arsene, some of the best times as an Arsenal supporter early on.
I feel a bit emotional, but I am a woman, I'm allowed to.:d

A Gunner
20-04-2018, 10:13 AM
Haven't posted in a long time. The atmosphere was toxic, now that has been lifted, I'm back!

It's a sad day. And it is hard for him to top the unbeaten season.

I think initially we were all behind him, but somewhere along the line, losing the first match every season turn some fans against him or against the the club right away, and I think that was also due to having that unbeaten season.

Like, Niall Quinn said, it was a privileged to watch those first 10 years of his Arsenal management career. But it was also an honour to watch his last few cup wins! Hopefully, there is one more!

Marc Overmars
20-04-2018, 10:15 AM

I have tickets to the Burnley game. The last few seasons I've bought tickets to the final home game in complete hope it would be his send off.

Should be a great occasion.

The Emirates Gallactico
20-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Regardless of what happened over the past decade the remainder of the season is going to be fucking emotional for me. I got into football just about the time Wenger joined so I've known nothing but him ....... Wenger is basically Arsenal for my entire football supporting history. This is so carthetric and I don't feel I've as of yet fully processed this.

Letters
20-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Ha. I was thinking of texting you to ask if you could sort me out with a ticket. GW meetup maybe?

GP
20-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Listen to Bob Wilson here. What a tribute :crying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/43834554?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5ad9bf73ef3fb7066729b3bb%26%27I%27m%20 in%20shock%27%26&ns_fee=0#post_5ad9bf73ef3fb7066729b3bb

Bob :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
20-04-2018, 10:56 AM
I have tickets to the Burnley game. The last few seasons I've bought tickets to the final home game in complete hope it would be his send off.

Should be a great occasion.

I hope you have a great day and a sore throat.

Xhaka Can’t
20-04-2018, 11:00 AM
Ha. I was thinking of texting you to ask if you could sort me out with a ticket. GW meetup maybe?

Good idea re the meetup.

I will keep trying for tickets. If I don’t get one, it will be the first time I have been unsuccessful. That includes the final game at Highbury.

Niall_Quinn
20-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Oh no :sulk:

We need some proper pedigree experience

No, he means OUR Vieira from GW

Bloody good choice if you ask me.

I'll post my thoughts about Wenger once he is actually gone. He's not gone yet.

AFC Leveller
20-04-2018, 11:15 AM
The unbeaten season was the best Wenger produced, simply unbelievable.

Also loved the CL run and the way we beat some big sides along the way.

Marc Overmars
20-04-2018, 11:40 AM
The unbeaten season was the best Wenger produced, simply unbelievable.

Also loved the CL run and the way we beat some big sides along the way.

The team from 01-04 was incredible. If anything we underachieved, we were head and shoulders above everyone else in this country. Back then the CL wasn't the closed shop that it is these days, we should have done better.

Globalgunner
20-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Created the best team in the premier league
Lehmann - Lauren - Cole - Campbell - Toure - Gilberto - Vieira - Ljungberg - Pires - Bergkamp - Henry

no weakness

Except the manager. Yes its mean, but its true

LDG
20-04-2018, 11:50 AM
It is the right thing to do.

We can get on with celebrating his time with us. He was brilliant for many years, and I will always remember what he did for us.

Thanks Arsene. You will be missed, but not missed if you know what I mean!

Legend.

*wipes tear*

GP
20-04-2018, 11:51 AM

Fuck off with that shit.

Cripps
20-04-2018, 11:59 AM

:gp:

Bumble
20-04-2018, 12:00 PM
The team from 01-04 was incredible. If anything we underachieved, we were head and shoulders above everyone else in this country. Back then the CL wasn't the closed shop that it is these days, we should have done better.
Agree we did underachieve - best team to play in Premier League history.

Niall_Quinn
20-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Agree we did underachieve - best team to play in Premier League history.

Or is it the current gypo team?

:haha:

No comparison whatsoever.

We were the best.

That's what has made the last decade so unbearable.

Globalgunner
20-04-2018, 12:05 PM

That team man for man was as good as anything United, Bayern, Madrid or Barca had on payroll those days. They were always short in the CL though, a fucking crime.

Marc Overmars
20-04-2018, 12:06 PM

We can get on with celebrating his time with us. He was brilliant for many years, and I will always remember what he did for us.

Legend.

*wipes tear*

Not missed in the slightest but I get what you mean. :lol:
I thought this day would be tinged with sadness but it's not for me. Probably because I've been so angry, disillusioned and apathetic for so long.

Respect him for everything he's done for us but my overwhelming feeling right now is relief.

Cripps
20-04-2018, 12:08 PM
I'm absolutely delighted :dance:

Bumble
20-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Or is it the current gypo team?

:haha:

No comparison whatsoever.

We were the best.

That's what has made the last decade so unbearable.

We were the best. So had so many players who could get into any other team in the world. City have Otimendi in their first choice side!!!

Flavs
20-04-2018, 12:18 PM
There are some that stand out and not just the invincibles either

The comebacks against Spurs and Manyoo, the demolition of Middlesbro that is still my favourite game. Glenn Helder, Kanu, Chris Wreh, Frannie Jeffers and pre-injury Diaby!

dostoy
20-04-2018, 12:20 PM
I am very glad he is leaving and feel no sadness whatsoever.

If you go back many many many many many years, he did very well in the PL and the silly cup.

That is as far as I can go.

Onwards and upwards.

Flavs
20-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Also the 0-1 win at the Bernebeu on the way to the Chumps league final was mind blowing, an actual tactical approach the players carried out :ladynana:

Letters
20-04-2018, 12:25 PM

Pretty much the best club side I've seen. Was a real privilege to have a season ticket in that era and witness it.

dostoy
20-04-2018, 12:27 PM
I am very interested to see what club Wenger will go to next.

Will it be in England ?

Very interesting.

A Gunner
20-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Pretty much the best club side I've seen. Was a real privilege to have a season ticket in that era and witness it.

Didn't have a season ticket, but did see a few matches.

Was a boarding schooler when I first came to the UK, it just sort of never hit me I'm actually in the country where I could see the matches live, until a few uni friend laughed at my "arm-chair-ness". I'm glad they did laugh, and they even watched the Blackburn match, the one where Henry "scored" that goal where he stole off the keeper.

Flavs
20-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Was a boarding schooler when I first came to the UK, .

Grease the pig! Grease the pig!!

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the memories prof Wenger! What a ride it's been!

Marc Overmars
20-04-2018, 12:40 PM

I was a teenager during that period and took it all for granted, I expected to win pretty much every game. You'd attend games at Highbury knowing full well that Henry was going to comb a couple in, Pires would pop up somewhere, Bergkamp would treat everyone to some magic etc. When we lost games it took a while to process because defeats were so rare, it was a really special time.

Letters
20-04-2018, 12:50 PM
I was a teenager during that period and took it all for granted, I expected to win pretty much every game. You'd attend games at Highbury knowing full well that Henry was going to comb a couple in, Pires would pop up somewhere, Bergkamp would treat everyone to some magic etc. When we lost games it took a while to process because defeats were so rare, it was a really special time.

I remember us losing a game one time and saying to someone "...I can't remember what to do when we lose!", it had been ages :lol:
Always knew in the back of my mind that it probably wouldn't ever get better than that.
I remember this moany twat sat next to my dad, one game a ball went through but too far in front of Henry who sort of half ran for it before giving up.
The moany twat shouted "Henry, you're so lazy!" :lol:

I think this was towards the end of the Invincibles season when Henry scored 30 goals in 38 league games.

The bloke in front of the moany twat (who, for older GW members, was North Bank Nutter) stood up, turned round and said:
"Mate, shut up! It really isn't going to get better than this so if you're still not happy then stop coming!"

Happy days :dance:

A Gunner
20-04-2018, 12:53 PM
I think everything un-ravelled at the end of the unbeaten run. Honestly, I don't think we've recovered from it.

Letters
20-04-2018, 02:32 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/43834554?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5ad9bf73ef3fb7066729b3bb%26%27I%27m%20 in%20shock%27%26&ns_fee=0#post_5ad9bf73ef3fb7066729b3bb

:upset:

Wow.

Letters
20-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Premier League wins:
Arsene Wenger: 473
Tottenham: 420

:lol:

selassie
20-04-2018, 02:43 PM

That's genuinely really touching.

For all of Arsene's faults as a manager in recent times, it seems as a person he is really highly regarded. He genuinely seems like a man who cares, not just about himself but about people in general.

Goonermerree
20-04-2018, 02:47 PM
I think everything un-ravelled at the end of the unbeaten run. Honestly, I don't think we've recovered from it.

I said on another message board that he should have bought in players after 2004 and was told I wasn't a fan. Haven't won the league since! You can't rest on your success, Fergie never did. I also think Chelsea's money knocked him for 6, he was doing fine until that happened.

IBK
20-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Legend.

*wipes tear*

This. Thanks for the memories Arsene, and good timing re the announcement. Feels strange, but good to be able to celebrate Wenger without the bitterness now.

A Gunner
20-04-2018, 02:53 PM
I said on another message board that he should have bought in players after 2004 and was told I wasn't a fan. Haven't won the league since! You can't rest on your success, Fergie never did. I also think Chelsea's money knocked him for 6, he was doing fine until that happened.

To be honest, I was thinking while doing the dishes. I guess the reason I was so calmed for the past ten years, was even though he won many things, I always saw his flaws even when he was looked up to by many. So by the time everyone began to throw stone, I'm just way past the point of caring.

Like when we have comments during matches, people complain he's too late in making subs, but the fact is, Wenger rarely makes good substitutions.

Mac76
20-04-2018, 07:41 PM
Arsenal 5, tottenshite 2

Yes as recently as 2013 - the bad years - but don't forget how fun it was obliterating the smiles on the spuds fans' faces and showing up redkrapp for being the total utter f*****g c**t that he is

Mac76
20-04-2018, 07:48 PM
That's genuinely really touching.

For all of Arsene's faults as a manager in recent times, it seems as a person he is really highly regarded. He genuinely seems like a man who cares, not just about himself but about people in general.

Ferguc**t took time out of his whisky-drinking schedule to make extra sure to try to wind wenger up at every opportunity - a big compliment if you think about it

McNamara That Ghost...
21-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Sky are showing the 97/98 PL years programme at 6:30pm. :bow:

GP
21-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Sky are showing the 97/98 PL years programme at 6:30pm. :bow:

My favourite season :bow:

Marc Overmars
21-04-2018, 05:39 PM
I have such fond memories of that season. My dad took me to more games than I had previously ever been to and it culminated in the cup final which we were lucky enough to attend. :cloud9:

A Gunner
22-04-2018, 12:36 AM
I remember the Overmars goal so well. I was in a school bus, heading to a hockey game, stuck in travel towards Birmingham (unusual for Saturday), sitting next to a Manure fan.

Letters
22-04-2018, 07:22 AM
My favourite season :bow:

https://media.giphy.com/media/MrtM8kDEFPssg/giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I actually jumped so high when we scored that goal I cut my arm on the light fitting in our front room.

:cloud9:

McNamara That Ghost...
23-04-2018, 07:07 PM
Wenger v Ferguson documentary is on Channel 5 (why?!) at 10pm tonight.

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Once Fergie established his empire, Wenger was the only manager to go toe to toe with him before the Russians and the Arabs polluted the game.

Letters
28-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Wenger vs Fergie was brilliant back in the day. Wenger was the only person to get the better off him (for a while).
Ultimately, Fergie > Wenger but then Fergie > Almost anyone.
It's clear they have a lot of respect for each other despite their skirmishes back in the day.

KSE Comedy Club
28-04-2018, 03:17 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/MrtM8kDEFPssg/giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I actually jumped so high when we scored that goal I cut my arm on the light fitting in our front room.

:cloud9:

Is that back when you were slim, athletic and could jump :lol:

Letters
28-04-2018, 03:22 PM
How dare you :angry:

I was never slim or athletic :sulk:

KSE Comedy Club
28-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Oh...... and there was me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

How silly of me :dunce:

Fatty!

GP
06-05-2018, 06:46 PM
https://i.redd.it/1r2gjkdj3aw01.jpg

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Great photo.

GP
13-05-2018, 04:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RRuYr76BBE

McNamara That Ghost...
13-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Wenger. :bow:

Rest up old man.

Marc Overmars
13-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Can’t believe he’s actually gone.

All the memories. :cloud9:

I’ll try to block out the recent years where he went mental.

Letters
13-05-2018, 04:51 PM
P1235 W707 D280 L248

Win ratio 57.2

(Champman's was 49.6, Graham's 48.9)

McNamara That Ghost...
13-05-2018, 04:53 PM
17 trophies. :bow:

(Well they counted all the charity shields for Ferguson recently).

Xhaka Can’t
13-05-2018, 06:49 PM
I’d quite like to see another manager revolutionise our team. If he could leave once he has passed his peak, that would be great too.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-05-2018, 07:25 PM
I'd take a repeat for the next 22 years tbf.

However this is the appreciation thread so I don't want it to be dragged down in to the invariable discussion that follows.

Wenger. :bow: