PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Atletico Madrid (home).

McNamara That Ghost...
26-04-2018, 09:06 PM
:lol:

The Misery incoming was right.

It's a lot to ask of us not collapsing away from home.

Xhaka Can’t
26-04-2018, 09:07 PM
I feel sick to my stomach.

The Emirates Gallactico
26-04-2018, 09:08 PM
I mean technically it's not over and who knows ..... an early away goal and it's game on ... but I'm completely resigned and dejected here. We should have buried the game if not gone in as slight favourites.

As it is, it's probably 90 : 10 in favour of Atletico considering their home form.

AFC Leveller
26-04-2018, 09:10 PM
We played well for most of the game, didn’t do too much wrong but we all knew there would be errors and Kos duly obliged.

Why did he not clear it? Why try be fancy? It’s a shambles.

Gooner23
26-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Yeah we've fucked it. Player sent off after 10 minutes, we could not have wished for a better chance. Fucking morons.

Xhaka Can’t
26-04-2018, 09:13 PM
We will need a monumental performance in Madrid. And even at that, with our defence, it may not be enough. We just need to hope our strikers have the game of their lives.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Mkhitaryan to save us. :bow:

Using no subs was daft, given they had been down to ten men basically from the start.

The Emirates Gallactico
26-04-2018, 09:16 PM

Using no subs was daft, given they had been down to ten men basically from the start.

We desperately missed him tonight. We needed someone to pick the lock and Ozil struggled to do it by himself.

rodders
26-04-2018, 09:18 PM
Blown it again!!!! Typical Arsenal performance.

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 09:18 PM
Atleti played with one man up top for the whole second half. One man too many for our lot to handle. Pathetic.

Served up on a plate and chucked in the bin. If we can't win that it's absolute fantasy to think we can win in Madrid. Besides, we'll make the same mistakes all over again.

Our best chance is to get some players with a bit of fire, or at least the potential for it, into the team. Holding, AMN, Eddie, Chambers maybe. And dump those fucking tools Kos, Mustafi, Xhaka and Welbeck. Give it a go, take the hammering if it comes but at least give it a go.

Xhaka Can’t
26-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Wenger: Opportunity missed. Can only look at ourselves.

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 09:20 PM
We desperately missed him tonight. We needed someone to pick the lock and Ozil struggled to do it by himself.

I don't think so. We'd still have been playing the same system and the same ridiculous possession game. Maybe he wouldn't have been as braindead as Welbeck, but then again, maybe Le Professor would have benched Laca and started Welbeck anyway. Maybe he'll do that for the return leg. Maybe he'll do a lot of things but the one thing he won't do is sort out the defence.

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Wenger: Opportunity missed. Can only look at ourselves.

The fans all getting behind the team having been split beforehand was too much of a wild swing and it unsettled things before such a big match. The cunting fans. Again.

Xhaka Can’t
26-04-2018, 09:24 PM
At 1-0 up, it was going to be all about the defence. Now we really need to go for it because we know we won’t keep a clean sheet there. If we are not to go out we need at least 2 goals.

May as well go hell for leather.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-04-2018, 09:31 PM
I've been offered the 'opportunity' to work 12-8 next Thursday? In doing so I'd miss 60 minutes of the match.

I'm probably an idiot but I'm going to say no.

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 09:33 PM
I've been offered the 'opportunity' to work 12-8 next Thursday? In doing so I'd miss 60 minutes of the match.

You are definitely an idiot.

I had the chance to go out tonight and I said yes, and then had to ring back 5 mins later to cancel. So used to forgetting about our matches being on. I'll watch next week, but only because it's Wenger's last game in Europe and it can only get better.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-04-2018, 09:35 PM
He has somehow pubbed wins away in big stadiums before but at a semi-final stage? :sick:

Xhaka Can’t
26-04-2018, 09:35 PM

It’s my wife’s birthday.

I’ll be missing the whole game.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-04-2018, 09:38 PM
I'll come celebrate that instead.

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 09:38 PM
He has somehow pubbed wins away in big stadiums before but at a semi-final stage? :sick:

Nah. You saw their defending tonight and we don't have anyone to bring in to make a difference. And Wenger will play it exactly the same way.

Pace is what we need against that defence. And direct balls (or just balls tbf). Especially against 10 men FFS. You were right in theory, they should have tired. But the tempo of our game was too low to make it happen. We have to up that temp and take some risks, but guess who won't go for that.

selassie
26-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Bottlers

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Hearing some fans saying we were unlucky. Seriously? 80 mins against 10 men? Their manager sent to the stands? Just one "unlucky" defensive error? AGAIN? When it keeps on happening it has nothing to do with luck, does it?

The only thing we've got unlucky with is a crappy board that has taken 10 years to act.

KSE Comedy Club
26-04-2018, 09:49 PM
We actually looked more comfortable when they had a full team on the pitch.

Atletico were never going to tire when all they had to do was stand in the same spot for 45 mins, actually 80 mins

When we will learn to use pace and attack directly again....???

We put every ball out to the wing for a cross, when it doesn’t work continuously, please - for the love of god - try something fucking different!!!!!

selassie
26-04-2018, 09:49 PM

It’s over, we had our chance tonight literally handed on a plate and we still managed to screw it up.

KSE Comedy Club
26-04-2018, 09:53 PM
I think we were a little bit jaded from all the passing.

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 09:56 PM
I think we were a little bit jaded from all the passing.

1.9 million completed passes. A moral victory.

KSE Comedy Club
26-04-2018, 09:56 PM
I’m proper gutted, and dejected.

But I suppose we should all have known what to expect by now, this is why the deluded fucker was sacked finally after all.

KSE Comedy Club
26-04-2018, 09:57 PM
1.9 million completed passes. A moral victory.

‘Football should be an art form’

Fucking hipocrite if you ask me <_<

More like someone taking a big shit in the middle of a painting!

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 09:58 PM
I’m proper gutted, and dejected.

But I suppose we should all have known what to expect by now, this is why the deluded fucker was sacked finally after all.

That's the thing. Nothing has actually changed yet, not on the pitch. The fans may all be excited again, but the same git is still in charge on the training ground where he teaches our defenders to go for Cruyff turns and scorpion kicks when Griezmann is bearing down on them. Nothing will actually change until he's fucked off properly.

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 09:58 PM
‘Football should be an art form’

Fucking hipocrit if you ask me <_<

Piss art

KSE Comedy Club
26-04-2018, 10:01 PM
That's the thing. Nothing has actually changed yet, not on the pitch. The fans may all be excited again, but the same git is still in charge on the training ground where he teaches our defenders to go for Cruyff turns and scorpion kicks when Griezmann is bearing down on them. Nothing will actually change until he's fucked off properly.

I know, I know.

I want us to win the EL badly, but not for him - for the new guy coming in to save us from this eternal misery

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av836Xmz5os

Welbeck :doh:

Kos :doh:

Mustafi :doh:

Does Mustafi wear studs? He's on the ground so often that I doubt it.

Marc Overmars
26-04-2018, 10:25 PM
It doesn’t really get given to you on a plate more than that, yet we still contrived to fuck it up. So careless and pretty much sums up the second half of Wenger’s tenure; plenty of promise but not much delivered.

Koscielny is a choker, moments like that have plagued his career with us. Mustafi hilariously falling over was the icing on the shit cake.

We need huge, career-defining performances next week to get through. Atleti are one of the grittiest teams you could ever face, they will relish defending their lead and be very confident of scoring again.

*sigh*

Power n Glory
26-04-2018, 10:42 PM
Just came back from the Avengers movie. Quite entertaining.

Just seen the highlights. Kosienly...what a loser.

Cripps
26-04-2018, 10:45 PM
The most fitting end to Wenger's reign :lol:

What was his excuse tonight? Because the crowd were united and behind the team, the stadium was rocking, the ref gave no penalty or red card against us like usually happens in big European games, they even had their player and manager sent off, so what? :lol:

If there's 1 game to sum up this useless dinosaurs tenure it really is this :lol:

5 more games :patrice:

21_GOONER_SALUTE
26-04-2018, 10:48 PM
Hearing some fans saying we were unlucky. Seriously? 80 mins against 10 men? Their manager sent to the stands? Just one "unlucky" defensive error? AGAIN? When it keeps on happening it has nothing to do with luck, does it?

The only thing we've got unlucky with is a crappy board that has taken 10 years to act.

Anyone who says we were unlucky today must be having a laff... I mean the only way UEFA could have topped what they did today for AW would have been to put the ball in the net themselves seeing as we couldn't even conjure up an imaginary penalty shout.

Those who watched the Newcastle game should be glad we walked away with something here as our aimless style of attacking is fodder for any serious defensive team..

Anyway getting back to happier things, like our impending divorce, does anyone else think we might do better with a Simone instead of an Enrique? I didn't like the antics by him or his players but I couldn't help but admire the whole team defending as a solid unit and the mettle they showed.

I am honestly not convinced that Enrique and more tippy tappy would be the solution to our decline

Marc Overmars
26-04-2018, 10:54 PM
All that’s left now is to shit ourselves at Old Trafford as usual and glorious failure in the second leg of this.

Then he can have a send-off fit for a loser.

If I wasn’t going to the Burnley game with my dad I’d sell the tickets on.

Cripps
26-04-2018, 11:00 PM
The first prerequisite of any manager should be to sort the defence out. It's a shambles. And ultimately been the old goat's downfall.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
26-04-2018, 11:06 PM
It doesn’t really get given to you on a plate more than that, yet we still contrived to fuck it up. So careless and pretty much sums up the second half of Wenger’s tenure; plenty of promise but not much delivered.

Koscielny is a choker, moments like that have plagued his career with us. Mustafi hilariously falling over was the icing on the shit cake.

We need huge, career-defining performances next week to get through. Atleti are one of the grittiest teams you could ever face, they will relish defending their lead and be very confident of scoring again.

*sigh*

TBH I have reached a stage where I can't even be bothered to call out the defenders individually anymore ( besides maybe Mustafi seeing as he is so well remunerated and is total crap).

But looking beyond this tie, I am worried that our defending is so bad that we should be looking at getting a defensive minded manager as we need a complete overhaul and it has to start from the back which has been ignored for about 15 years or so.

Niall_Quinn
26-04-2018, 11:12 PM
Anyone who says we were unlucky today must be having a laff... I mean the only way UEFA could have topped what they did today for AW would have been to put the ball in the net themselves seeing as we couldn't even conjure up an imaginary penalty shout.

Those who watched the Newcastle game should be glad we walked away with something here as our aimless style of attacking is fodder for any serious defensive team..

Anyway getting back to happier things, like our impending divorce, does anyone else think we might do better with a Simone instead of an Enrique? I didn't like the antics by him or his players but I couldn't help but admire the whole team defending as a solid unit and the mettle they showed.

I am honestly not convinced that Enrique and more tippy tappy would be the solution to our decline

Simeone or Conte would be my top choices. Managers with passion for the game. Fight, spit, grind it out when you have to. We need to get back to that first, before we start talking about our exciting, technical style of play that doesn't actually exist any more. We need some fire on that sideline and a rocket fired up the players' arseholes.

But I can't see that style of manager working well with our effeminate, silver spoon board. Though I guess some of them at least discovered they have balls when the pushed the old git out the door.

Cripps
26-04-2018, 11:16 PM
We will never see Arsene Wenger manage Arsenal for a European game at the Emirates again.

:patrice:

Bumble
27-04-2018, 06:26 AM
we played fairly decent I thought. we spread the ball well. we did try to move there defenders around but the only time we got to the byline to cross we scored. Bellerin never ran at the left back. We had a lot of the ball and yet Atletico had one attack and they scored because one defender cant clear it and another fell over comedy style.

Anyway we have won in 1-0 in Madrid before so who knows.

LDG
27-04-2018, 06:32 AM
we played fairly decent I thought. we spread the ball well. we did try to move there defenders around but the only time we got to the byline to cross we scored. Bellerin never ran at the left back. We had a lot of the ball and yet Atletico had one attack and they scored because one defender cant clear it and another fell over comedy style.

We didn’t spread the ball well. We never do. Because where there should be one pass to get the ball wide quickly, we take 10 touches. It’s awful to watch.

Letters
27-04-2018, 06:43 AM
Poo. Really needed to win this one and with them down to 10 men so early we had a great chance. Mistake by Kos spoiled what was otherwise a good performance which we should have got a win out of. I can see why their 'keeper is so highly rated. The away goal makes things tough. I think we can score out there. We will almost certainly concede too. Atletico are hot favourites but it's all on the night and if we play like that again we have a chance.

Come on Arsenal :scarf:
:upset:

Cripps
27-04-2018, 07:14 AM

Bellerin was man of the match. He was excellent and was a constant threat.

Our defending for their goal was comical. Why Koscielny tries looping the ball back over Griezmann instead of sliding and hitting it away towards the by line I'll never know. As for Mustafi slipping over, well there's not much to be said about that useless idiot.

Can't wait for a new manager to come in and sort this team out tactically. And for more atmospheres like last night :bow:

Penguin
27-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Bellerin was man of the match. He was excellent and was a constant threat.

Our defending for their goal was comical. Why Koscielny tries looping the ball back over Griezmann instead of sliding and hitting it away towards the by line I'll never know. As for Mustafi slipping over, well there's not much to be said about that useless idiot.

Can't wait for a new manager to come in and sort this team out tactically. And for more atmospheres like last night :bow:
Kos kicked the ball onto his own head. The funny thing is that he's done the exact same thing before. :lol:

selassie
27-04-2018, 07:29 AM
In some ways what we saw last night was a typical “Arsenal” performance under a modern day “Wenger”, close...but not quite there.

We have a big culture / mentality issue at this club and any new Manager coming in needs to stamp it out ASAP before anything else. Winning is EVERYTHING. We lack that ruthlessness and belief, playing fairly well for 80 minutes and not finishing your chances isn’t enough, we have seen this time and time again so it’s not like a one-off.

The contrast between us and them was evident last night, they did what they always do, concede possession and put their body on the line. It helps that they have a keeper who I rate behind De Gea as one of the best in the world.

What’s done is done.

Marc Overmars
27-04-2018, 07:33 AM
Even if we had seen it out it would have been tinged with the disappointment of only scoring one goal after our dominance. Just woeful to miss out on an opportunity like that to grab the tie by the scruff of the neck.

Hopefully they can at least try to sort their lives out one last time but it's probably too much ask for such a frail team set in their ways.

Koscielny. :haha:

And you wonder why your son thinks you're shit?

Cripps
27-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Kos kicked the ball onto his own head. The funny thing is that he's done the exact same thing before. :lol:

I think he tries to go for the acrobatic interception to make himself look better because that was the harder of the options to execute :doh:

Cripps
27-04-2018, 07:54 AM
A positive was Santi training on the pitch before the game :bow:

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 07:58 AM

I was thinking that. Legs tiring on their part, get on some fresh legs, but then you look at the bench and there was noone who could have come n a made a difference. Ger rid of two strikers in January, one we have got an injury and the one we bought can't play in the EL. I wonder what Theo could have done against ten men in that first half when they were still readjusting? Or what could Giroud have done coming on from the bench? The lack of quality on that bench for an EL semi final beggars belief!

Marc Overmars
27-04-2018, 08:08 AM
At least next week the task doesn’t require much thought, we just have to put them under as much pressure as possible. I wouldn’t have trusted us to defend a lead anyway, so at least we can focus more on getting the goals.

Letters
27-04-2018, 08:09 AM
Another 1-1 and a win on pels? :pray:

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 08:10 AM

A comedy, tragic goal. I believe the ball then hit Ospina and bounced through his legs, luckily for Grizzy, it bounced to him.

We need a quick away goal to take away their advantage, then defend well and counter. Tough, but doable.

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 08:11 AM
What are the chances of Mikhy being fit? What's wrong with him?

Letters
27-04-2018, 08:12 AM
then defend well.

:haha:

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 08:40 AM
:haha:

Shut up. We did defend well against somebody recently, can't remember who though!

Cripps
27-04-2018, 09:09 AM
We defended well in 05/06 :unsure:

Letters
27-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Shut up. We did defend well against somebody recently, can't remember who though!

:lol: I think we can score out there, but we will concede. I don't think it's impossible we can go through, play like we did last night and we have a chance. Very much "second favourites" but I'm not without hope.

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 09:13 AM
:lol: I think we can score out there, but we will concede. I don't think it's impossible we can go through, play like we did last night and we have a chance. Very much "second favourites" but I'm not without hope.

All we can do is hope until all hope is lost, like them going to nil up or something!

Letters
27-04-2018, 09:21 AM
If we'd lost 2-0 last night then sod it, I probably bother wouldn't watching the second leg. As it is...we're still in the tie.
It ain't over till it's over #Rocky

Marc Overmars
27-04-2018, 09:39 AM
It's definitely doable.

Whether this team can overcome such a hurdle though? I know what my guess is but we'll see.

selassie
27-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Even if we had seen it out it would have been tinged with the disappointment of only scoring one goal after our dominance. Just woeful to miss out on an opportunity like that to grab the tie by the scruff of the neck.

Hopefully they can at least try to sort their lives out one last time but it's probably too much ask for such a frail team set in their ways.

Koscielny. :haha:

And you wonder why your son thinks you're shit?

:lol: @ the Koscielny bit.

Letters
27-04-2018, 09:42 AM
I probably bother wouldn't watching the second leg.
:blink:

:pal:

:getcoat:

Cripps
27-04-2018, 09:43 AM
The only thing I'd say is I'd much prefer us having to go out there needing to score because I don't have confidence in us sitting back and defending for 90 minutes. We're not good enough at that so there's that positive I suppose :unsure:

selassie
27-04-2018, 09:45 AM
The only thing I'd say is I'd much prefer us having to go out there needing to score because I don't have confidence in us sitting back and defending for 90 minutes. We're not good enough at that so there's that positive I suppose :unsure:

Aye I agree with this. If we would have won 2-0 last night...you know we would have gone there to try and hold the lead and probably fallen apart.

At 1-1, we know we have to score and we also know we have to keep it tight at the back.....:haha:

We don't have anything to lose really as we are massive underdogs next week.

KSE Comedy Club
27-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Personally, I would have taken Welshit off and put Kolasinac in his place - at least he is a threat.

Also would've chucked Nketiah on for 20 mins as well.

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2018, 09:53 AM
We are seeing this performance and result through Wenger lenses. Hardly a surprise given how long we've had to put up with the bloke and his pointless football (literally pointless on the road this year).

That was NOT a good performance lads. Sorry. But it just wasn't. It wasn't even a good enough performance to force a 10 man Madrid to commit Costa. Instead they emerge with an away goal and their main man waiting in the wings for the next match.

11 vs 10 for 83 mins and the Madrid players stroll off the pitch grinning, rather than crawl off it exhausted? That shows you exactly what sort of performance we put in. Another one paced, over passed, sideways, excessively complicated, inefficient farce. If lions or tigers hunted like we play they'd be extinct.

Last night was a BETTER performance BY OUR STANDARDS. Which isn't saying much I'm afraid. Yes, we had all the possession and 27 shots. One goal. Familiar story, isn't it? The lack of ruthlessness in front of goal. It doesn't matter who's up there, Theo, Bif, RvP, Ade, Arshavin, Alexis, Laca, we've got used to shouting, "Ooooh, unlucky!", every 5 minutes. We haven't been ruthless, like we used to be all those years ago, for over a decade.

It should be speed, pass, speed, pass, bang, GOAL. Like that Salah bloke we were cooing over, or that Griezemann bloke when Madrid lumped it (so vulgar but effective) and he did what he had to do to force the fucker into the net. People are saying he was lucky. Bullshit. He had to control the ball, he had to grab it again when Kos did his comedy routine (again), he had to recover it one more time when Ospina tried to outdo Kos and finally he had to hit the target while the Keystone Mustafi was sliding around as he usually does. Perseverance, getting the job done when the chance came along.

It took us 27 chances to get the job done. A hallmark of Wenger's Arsenal. We play at Wenger's tempo so we always give the opponent a chance and we always invite the opposition defenders to be comfortable. On the break, we'll stop and play it sideways and the move dies right there as the opposition get back into shape. We do it all the time. Our generosity knows no bounds. Defenders must love playing against us. There's always that stupid extra touch or that ridiculous desire to run into the congested area of the pitch. We have become masters at it.

For every pass Madrid played last night, we played 5. Tip, tap. Tip, tap. Almost all of it was played in front of their comfortable ranks of defenders who let us have the flanks, because Simeone did his homework (many managers do that) and knows that even if we get a cross in we won't have anyone in the box to meet it. The one time we broke that rule, we scored. Other than that, Madrid's wall shuffled left, shuffled right, defended the centre at a nice, leisurely stroll and watched our little triangles. Easy. Their ten could have played another 90 minutes at that pace.

In the second half Madrid had no midfield at all. Just their defensive wall and their one outlet striker stuck miles away up top. Of course we had a lot of the ball. Of course we had a lot of attempts. That's how Madrid played it. Our pea shooter and an endless supply of peas against their brick wall. I wonder will it be the same in Madrid? I'm thinking yes.

Or look at it another way. If it had been the other Madrid, or Barca, or PSG, or Bayern, or Liverpool or even the spuds, up against Atleti's 10 for 80 mins last night, would that game have ended 1-1? Honest answers only please.

It wasn't a good performance. It was Wengerball and that's the main problem the new manager faces when he comes in. How to disinfect the squad after years of exposure. Anyone who thinks that was a good performance is looking at this in a Wenger tinged light. Normal teams, normal fans wouldn't be walking away from that talking about great performances, or being unlucky. They'd be calling it like it is. We fucked up. Big time.

If Wenger decides to change EVERYTHING next week we have a chance, because we have some decent players. But he won't do that, will he? He'll do the same thing again and therefore so will Madrid. Maybe we'll get Oooooh, so close, or be really unlucky, or almost do it. But we've been there before, haven't we?

The new guy has a hell of a job on his hands.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-04-2018, 10:21 AM
I was thinking that. Legs tiring on their part, get on some fresh legs, but then you look at the bench and there was noone who could have come n a made a difference. Ger rid of two strikers in January, one we have got an injury and the one we bought can't play in the EL. I wonder what Theo could have done against ten men in that first half when they were still readjusting? Or what could Giroud have done coming on from the bench? The lack of quality on that bench for an EL semi final beggars belief!

Some People were singing and dancing when we sent Theo and a Giroud on their way.....but we could have used both of them last night. I find the lack of squad planning so infuriating at times.

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 10:49 AM
We are seeing this performance and result through Wenger lenses. Hardly a surprise given how long we've had to put up with the bloke and his pointless football (literally pointless on the road this year).

That was NOT a good performance lads. Sorry. But it just wasn't. It wasn't even a good enough performance to force a 10 man Madrid to commit Costa. Instead they emerge with an away goal and their main man waiting in the wings for the next match.

11 vs 10 for 83 mins and the Madrid players stroll off the pitch grinning, rather than crawl off it exhausted? That shows you exactly what sort of performance we put in. Another one paced, over passed, sideways, excessively complicated, inefficient farce. If lions or tigers hunted like we play they'd be extinct.

Last night was a BETTER performance BY OUR STANDARDS. Which isn't saying much I'm afraid. Yes, we had all the possession and 27 shots. One goal. Familiar story, isn't it? The lack of ruthlessness in front of goal. It doesn't matter who's up there, Theo, Bif, RvP, Ade, Arshavin, Alexis, Laca, we've got used to shouting, "Ooooh, unlucky!", every 5 minutes. We haven't been ruthless, like we used to be all those years ago, for over a decade.

It should be speed, pass, speed, pass, bang, GOAL. Like that Salah bloke we were cooing over, or that Griezemann bloke when Madrid lumped it (so vulgar but effective) and he did what he had to do to force the fucker into the net. People are saying he was lucky. Bullshit. He had to control the ball, he had to grab it again when Kos did his comedy routine (again), he had to recover it one more time when Ospina tried to outdo Kos and finally he had to hit the target while the Keystone Mustafi was sliding around as he usually does. Perseverance, getting the job done when the chance came along.

It took us 27 chances to get the job done. A hallmark of Wenger's Arsenal. We play at Wenger's tempo so we always give the opponent a chance and we always invite the opposition defenders to be comfortable. On the break, we'll stop and play it sideways and the move dies right there as the opposition get back into shape. We do it all the time. Our generosity knows no bounds. Defenders must love playing against us. There's always that stupid extra touch or that ridiculous desire to run into the congested area of the pitch. We have become masters at it.

For every pass Madrid played last night, we played 5. Tip, tap. Tip, tap. Almost all of it was played in front of their comfortable ranks of defenders who let us have the flanks, because Simeone did his homework (many managers do that) and knows that even if we get a cross in we won't have anyone in the box to meet it. The one time we broke that rule, we scored. Other than that, Madrid's wall shuffled left, shuffled right, defended the centre at a nice, leisurely stroll and watched our little triangles. Easy. Their ten could have played another 90 minutes at that pace.

In the second half Madrid had no midfield at all. Just their defensive wall and their one outlet striker stuck miles away up top. Of course we had a lot of the ball. Of course we had a lot of attempts. That's how Madrid played it. Our pea shooter and an endless supply of peas against their brick wall. I wonder will it be the same in Madrid? I'm thinking yes.

Or look at it another way. If it had been the other Madrid, or Barca, or PSG, or Bayern, or Liverpool or even the spuds, up against Atleti's 10 for 80 mins last night, would that game have ended 1-1? Honest answers only please.

It wasn't a good performance. It was Wengerball and that's the main problem the new manager faces when he comes in. How to disinfect the squad after years of exposure. Anyone who thinks that was a good performance is looking at this in a Wenger tinged light. Normal teams, normal fans wouldn't be walking away from that talking about great performances, or being unlucky. They'd be calling it like it is. We fucked up. Big time.

If Wenger decides to change EVERYTHING next week we have a chance, because we have some decent players. But he won't do that, will he? He'll do the same thing again and therefore so will Madrid. Maybe we'll get Oooooh, so close, or be really unlucky, or almost do it. But we've been there before, haven't we?

I agree, a lot of people are saying we played well, we didn't. We played most of the game against ten men and we were in their penalty area for most of the first half, but couldn't score. We had to score when we were on top like that. We weren't ruthless with our chances and we were worried that that would come back to bite us and it did. Now we'll see if this team has mental strength or not.

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Some People were singing and dancing when we sent Theo and a Giroud on their way.....but we could have used both of them last night. I find the lack of squad planning so infuriating at times.

Can't see what Theo would have added. We had enough half talent/ half fluke players out there last night, Welbeck for example.

But I agree on Bif. IF he'd have got into the box and put some pressure on and IF we didn't do what Wenger normally did when Bif was playing - have him with his back to goal tapping it backwards.

Bif in the box last night could have unsettled Madrid. We don't have that type of player now. This is the thing with Wenger. He uses a utility player like Bif as the #1 striker when plainly he's not up to it. And then, when he eventually twigs Bif is a useful player in certain situations, he won't set up the team to take advantage.

Or let's say a normal manager could have used Bif effectively last night.

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2018, 10:51 AM
I agree, a lot of people are saying we played well, we didn't. We played most of the game against ten men and we were in their penalty area for most of the first half, but couldn't score. We had to score when we were on top like that. We weren't ruthless with our chances and we were worried that that would come back to bite us and it did. Now we'll see if this team has mental strength or not.

I can save you the trouble of waiting. It doesn't.

Mac76
27-04-2018, 10:59 AM
Atleti played with one man up top for the whole second half. One man too many for our lot to handle. Pathetic.

Served up on a plate and chucked in the bin. If we can't win that it's absolute fantasy to think we can win in Madrid. Besides, we'll make the same mistakes all over again.

Our best chance is to get some players with a bit of fire, or at least the potential for it, into the team. Holding, AMN, Eddie, Chambers maybe. And dump those fucking tools Kos, Mustafi, Xhaka and Welbeck. Give it a go, take the hammering if it comes but at least give it a go.

and bring in Kolasinac too - i was really hopinng he'd get brought on for Welbeck last night but Wenger didn't even do his 70-miinute-sub routine - he has gone beyond 'lost it' now...

Mac76
27-04-2018, 11:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av836Xmz5os

Welbeck :doh:

Kos :doh:

Mustafi :doh:

Does Mustafi wear studs? He's on the ground so often that I doubt it.

What a mess - a pity about Kos but you play fools like Welbeck and Mustafi in a game like this and that is what happens

Welbeck is absolute sh*t, he has no footballing brain whatsoever, and is contstanly making the wrong decisions - that's when he even manages to control the ball in the first place...

Marc Overmars
27-04-2018, 11:04 AM
I couldn’t believe he didn’t bring a sub on. I mean the bench was pretty uninspiring but you’ve got to at least throw on some fresh legs on if you’re chasing it against 10 men defending for their lives. Kolasinac or even Iwobi would have added something given how the game panned out.

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Can't see what Theo would have added. We had enough half talent/ half fluke players out there last night, Welbeck for example.

But I agree on Bif. IF he'd have got into the box and put some pressure on and IF we didn't do what Wenger normally did when Bif was playing - have him with his back to goal tapping it backwards.

Bif in the box last night could have unsettled Madrid. We don't have that type of player now. This is the thing with Wenger. He uses a utility player like Bif as the #1 striker when plainly he's not up to it. And then, when he eventually twigs Bif is a useful player in certain situations, he won't set up the team to take advantage.

Or let's say a normal manager could have used Bif effectively last night.

I think Theo might have been effective in the first half when they were a bit more open and there was some space for him to run.

Mac76
27-04-2018, 11:07 AM
All that’s left now is to shit ourselves at Old Trafford as usual and glorious failure in the second leg of this.

Then he can have a send-off fit for a loser.

If I wasn’t going to the Burnley game with my dad I’d sell the tickets on.

Nobody sang his name at all last night - he really is driving in his reputation below ground level in these last few weeks

Mac76
27-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Personally, I would have taken Welshit off and put Kolasinac in his place - at least he is a threat.

Also would've chucked Nketiah on for 20 mins as well.

Spot on

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2018, 11:09 AM
What a mess - a pity about Kos but you play fools like Welbeck and Mustafi in a game like this and that is what happens

Welbeck is absolute sh*t, he has no footballing brain whatsoever, and is contstanly making the wrong decisions - that's when he even manages to control the ball in the first place...

Welbeck was one of the standout players, according to many. I suppose it's because he runs around a lot and looks busy. We aren't used to that so we mistake it for good football. Coquelin was praised for that too. Neither player would be starting for any other top European club.

Running around a lot and being busy is the bare minimum requirement. Once that's done you look for the player's additional attributes. Welbeck has none. But he brings plenty of liabilities.

Marc Overmars
27-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Also, let’s sign Oblak. Perfect long term replacement for Cech.

Mac76
27-04-2018, 11:11 AM

Yeah someone in the pub made the point about Giroud afterwards - i was glad to see him go at the time but for once i couldn't argue that he might have made a difference last night

Mac76
27-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Welbeck was one of the standout players, according to many. I suppose it's because he runs around a lot and looks busy. We aren't used to that so we mistake it for good football. Coquelin was praised for that too. Neither player would be starting for any other top European club.

Running around a lot and being busy is the bare minimum requirement. Once that's done you look for the player's additional attributes. Welbeck has none. But he brings plenty of liabilities.

Totally i couldn't belive how many people werre saying he played well last night - they just don't get it

Cripps
27-04-2018, 11:13 AM

:lol: there's 5 games left with this dinosaur, don't get yourself so worked up. We've had 10 years of pain, frustration and anger, enjoy the last few calamity moments of the old goat.

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2018, 11:13 AM
and bring in Kolasinac too - i was really hopinng he'd get brought on for Welbeck last night but Wenger didn't even do his 70-miinute-sub routine - he has gone beyond 'lost it' now...

Kolasinac has been Wengered. He came here as a no compromises, tough, direct player but it didn't take long for him to be neutered and plunged into headless chicken mode. On the rare glimpses we've seen since he's been pretty poor.

But the new manager will be able to get plenty out of him I'll bet. The player hasn't been here long enough to be beyond all hope.

Cripps
27-04-2018, 11:14 AM

We would have won with Giroud.

Bumble
27-04-2018, 11:15 AM
We would have won with Giroud.

nah we would just have managed to concede the extra goals we managed to score.

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2018, 11:16 AM
:lol: there's 5 games left with this dinosaur, don't get yourself so worked up. We've had 10 years of pain, frustration and anger, enjoy the last few calamity moments of the old goat.

It's such a shame only one ball dropped for the board. If both had dropped they'd have told him to GTFO last week and forget about this send-off nonsense. The club isn't here to worship Wenger.

Letters
27-04-2018, 11:20 AM

Having seen the highlights it didn't feel like we were missing sitter after sitter.
We were a bit wasteful and their 'keeper was outstanding but not many team wallop Atletico.
Have a feeling the second leg might be another heroic failure where we lose 2-1 - so one more goal would see us through but we can't quite get it :(

selassie
27-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Yeah me too. Whoever comes in has a job on there hands. We have issues in all areas of the team apart from Centre Forward and Attacking Midfield, some of these issues are major IMO.

Letters
27-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Honestly think with a better defence (which is arguably as much about coaching as personnel) we won't be that far away.
We've scored more goals than anyone bar City and Liverpool but we've conceded more than...oh, loads of teams.

Bumble
27-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Honestly think with a better defence (which is arguably as much about coaching as personnel) we won't be that far away.
We've scored more goals than anyone bar City and Liverpool but we've conceded more than...oh, loads of teams.

yes we have scored a lot of goals but sometimes it is also who they were scored against. of the top 5 teams we have won once. I don't think we can compete if we cant be the best teams. I don't think any manager would be able to turn the team into champions unless there is another season like when Leicester won it. But I do expect a new manager to get us to finishing above Spurs and Chelsea.

KSE Comedy Club
27-04-2018, 12:08 PM

I said exactly the same thing

Marc Overmars
27-04-2018, 12:10 PM
We've bullied the pub teams at home, that is the basis of our season. Spurs are the only decent side we beaten at home.

Home records don't get more bogus than that.

Letters
27-04-2018, 12:34 PM
It's not bogus :lol:. It is what it is.
Everyone plays everyone else, our home record is good enough for us to be "up there". If our away record was half decent we'd be top 4 or thereabouts.
I do take the point about who we've scored the goals against though.

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 12:40 PM
It's not bogus :lol:. It is what it is.
Everyone plays everyone else, our home record is good enough for us to be "up there". If our away record was half decent we'd be top 4 or thereabouts.
I do take the point about who we've scored the goals against though.

I'm sure I remember one season when we were better away than at home. Consistency is the key, we don't have it, therefore we are not good enough.

Mac76
27-04-2018, 12:42 PM
I said exactly the same thing

and i then said 'spot on' :gp:

Letters
27-04-2018, 12:54 PM
I'm sure I remember one season when we were better away than at home. Consistency is the key, we don't have it, therefore we are not good enough.

Well, sure. But I don't think there's been a season where the difference between our home and away form is quite this marked. Our league form this calendar year:

Home: W6 D1 L0
Away: W0 D0 L6

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Well, sure. But I don't think there's been a season where the difference between our home and away form is quite this marked. Our league form this calendar year:

Home: W6 D1 L0
Away: W0 D0 L6

What are the stats from the start of the season?

Letters
27-04-2018, 01:05 PM
What are the stats from the start of the season?

Do I have to do everything around here? <_<

Home
P18 W14 D2 L2 F49 A20 (2nd although Utd have a home 'game in hand' and have 3 fewer points)

Away:
P16 W3 D4 L9 D17 A26 (12th although we have a 'game in hand' away...although that is at Utd)

Özim
27-04-2018, 02:38 PM
We're miles away from being contenders, yesterday we played a team who had 10 mean or 80 odd minutes and in that time we only managed one goal, on top of that we then go and concede, it's a dreaful result all things considered.

The keeper is past it, the defence is plain awful, we literally have to start again, we need a DM and probably need to bring in a genuine winger so we can have some width, on top of that we need some squad and not 2nd rate players like Welbeck who you could create a compilation of horrendous misses for, we ned quality, reliable backups.

Wenger has left us in a terrible state.

Globalgunner
27-04-2018, 02:45 PM
We're miles away from being contenders, yesterday we played a team who had 10 mean or 80 odd minutes and in that time we only managed one goal, on top of that we then go and concede, it's a dreaful result all things considered.

The keeper is past it, the defence is plain awful, we literally have to start again, we need a DM and probably need to bring in a genuine winger so we can have some width, on top of that we need some squad and not 2nd rate players like Welbeck who you could create a compilation of horrendous misses for, we ned quality, reliable backups.

Wenger has left us in a terrible state.

Worst part is, he hasn't left yet.

Lets hope Mourinho doesnt have another 8-2 scoreline planned for us. That would just top Wenger`s reign off nicely . Wouldn't it

Goonermerree
27-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Do I have to do everything around here? <_<

Home
P18 W14 D2 L2 F49 A20 (2nd although Utd have a home 'game in hand' and have 3 fewer points)

Away:
P16 W3 D4 L9 D17 A26 (12th although we have a 'game in hand' away...although that is at Utd)
You're the one coming on here with the statistics!!!!

Letters
27-04-2018, 03:44 PM
You're the one coming on here with the statistics!!!!

Yeah! Stupid Letters and his "statistics" and "facts" <_<

Chippy
27-04-2018, 04:40 PM
We've bullied the pub teams at home, that is the basis of our season. Spurs are the only decent side we beaten at home.

Home records don't get more bogus than that.

SPUD!!:rolleyes:

Bumble
27-04-2018, 06:04 PM

I think yes although they did have 10 players. they are still 2nd in the Spanish league and we are 6th. So 1-0 would have been a good result but unfortunately as has often happens we make a mistake at the back and get punished.
we do need a new keeper, cb, cm. but anything more will cost so much money.... by the sounds of what you are suggesting getting quality back ups we are going to need to spend £500m.

We have 3 decent strikers and I include Welbeck in that as he is a player who is good for our squad. we aren't in a position where we can have top super stars as back up. so we need to be realistic.

KSE Comedy Club
27-04-2018, 08:31 PM
and i then said 'spot on' :gp:

Yeh I noticed shortly after :lol:

Great minds and all that ;)

KSE Comedy Club
28-04-2018, 06:00 AM
Arsenal have been charged by UEFA for setting off fireworks and smoke bombs during the player presentations.

Did that happen?? :shrug:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
28-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Yeah....it looked cool.

Mac76
28-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Yeah....it looked cool.

there was more after our goal as well i think

Globalgunner
28-04-2018, 01:01 PM
UEFA should cut us some slack. We were actually celebrating the end of 22 years of bondage.

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 01:13 PM
22 years?

You wanted rid of Wenger for that long?

Is this Zim’s second account?

Letters
28-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Honestly thought the WUMming would stop now he's finally going but after a brief pause the usual suspects are back at it again.
Tiresome...

:ilt:

Globalgunner
28-04-2018, 01:29 PM
If a 22 yr relationship end in acrimony. You dont wistfully remember the honeymoon and the time she weighed less than 110 pounds

Mandela spent 26 years in prison, the last 2 he had conjugal visits and a telly. He still hated all 26 years.

Cripps
28-04-2018, 01:31 PM
UEFA should cut us some slack. We were actually celebrating the end of 22 years of bondage.

Hopefully a few get let off at Burnley :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 02:25 PM
If a 22 yr relationship end in acrimony. You dont wistfully remember the honeymoon and the time she weighed less than 110 pounds

Mandela spent 26 years in prison, the last 2 he had conjugal visits and a telly. He still hated all 26 years.

That is pathetic and you know it.

I’ve wanted Wenger gone for five years at least but some of the shit I’m reading here is ridiculous.

Have a fucking word with yourself.

You probably won’t and will just double down with another retarded analogy.

Knock yourself out.

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 02:35 PM
So you have forgotten the titles the cups, the football of his early years.

I suppose you did the same for GG.

Globalgunner
28-04-2018, 02:43 PM
That is pathetic and you know it.

I’ve wanted Wenger gone for five years at least but some of the shit I’m reading here is ridiculous.

Have a fucking word with yourself.

You probably won’t and will just double down with another retarded analogy.

Knock yourself out.

No need to get worked up lad.
Violence is the refuge of the incompetent.

Cripps
28-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Wow, mods deleting posts cause they can't handle the truth :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 02:45 PM
So is talking rubbish.

Cripps
28-04-2018, 02:45 PM
You should know. You're the king of it.

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Wow, mods deleting posts cause they can't handle the truth :lol:

Two things.

What got deleted and what do you know or more to the point, care about the truth?

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 02:47 PM
You should know. You're the king of it.

I’m a republican.

Cripps
28-04-2018, 02:50 PM
My response to Globalgunner's post :console:

Globalgunner
28-04-2018, 02:50 PM
I’m a republican.

So is Trump

Letters
28-04-2018, 03:03 PM
My response to Globalgunner's post :console:

Hi. Yes, I've deleted a few posts because you're being a cock.
In pretty much every single post.
Give it a rest :good:

Cripps
28-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Hi. Yes, I've deleted a few posts because you're being a cock.
In pretty much every single post.
Give it a rest :good:

You can't handle the truth :good:

I was willing to drop all the grudges and give it a fresh start but you carried on WUMming and trying to wind the likes of Zim/NQ up, so I've had a change of heart :smooch:

It was your choice :shrug:

Letters
28-04-2018, 03:10 PM
I was willing to drop all the grudges and give it a fresh start
Great. Let's start now then, shall we?
Just tone it down a bit. You don't need to be WUMming in every bleedin' post. Sheesh!

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 05:36 PM
So is Trump

I’d hit his daughter if he hadn’t got there first

KSE Comedy Club
28-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Ahh,

Cripps on the WUM, Letters on the Run, sniping, arguing, back and forth bitch tennis, Letters deleting posts.....

It’s just like old times :cloud9:

Welcome back GW :scarf:

Cripps
28-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Photos: Atletico Madrid fans threw bread at Mesut Özil while he was taking a corner, Özil picked it up, kissed it & put it on his forehead as it’s part of his Muslim faith & culture to not waste food. #afc https://t.co/qJaXpa6RoS

What a man :bow:

Letters
28-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Bread? Who throws bread at a player?!
Atletico hooligans are amateurs :sulk:

Cripps
28-04-2018, 08:52 PM
You'd expect them to throw bread at African players :ninja:

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 09:20 PM
At least if it was toast it may have hurt a bit.

Letters
28-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Toast :bow:

GP
28-04-2018, 11:26 PM
You can't be trusted with toast, you sick freak.

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2018, 11:36 PM
One day I’ll be the toast of London