PDA

View Full Version : Stephan Lichtsteiner (official)

Marc Overmars
05-06-2018, 01:41 PM
https://www.arsenal.com/sites/default/files/styles/large_16x9/public/images/Lichtsteiner_2.jpg?itok=y6h_q4Fi

https://www.arsenal.com/news/stephan-lichtsteiner-join-club

fakeyank
05-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Good signing. Think he will be a solid player for another 2-3 years.

dostoy
05-06-2018, 01:44 PM
if this is a 1 year deal, then what happens next summer ?

If Bellend leaves next summer then surely Arsenal will need 2 new right backs.

Cripps
05-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Solid, experienced, title winner :bow:

Welcome :bow:

Cripps
05-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Emery pretty much sums it up in a nutshell:

"Stephan brings huge experience and leadership to our squad."

Common sense :bow:

hobson's choice
05-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Yay 6th place trophy locked

Goonermerree
05-06-2018, 02:56 PM
What happened to 'invisible's' post?

Globalgunner
05-06-2018, 03:03 PM

Its invisible?

Globalgunner
05-06-2018, 03:07 PM
This ups our WC presence to what. 8 or 9?

GP
05-06-2018, 03:15 PM
9 if you count Campbell.

I am invisible
05-06-2018, 03:56 PM
My samsung / android phone seems to have an issue with this forum for some reason? Every time I try and edit a post on my mobile it deletes it, and half the time I can't be bothered rewriting it. My thoughts aren't that important anyway.

Remind me what I said? I don't actually remember posting anything in this thread yet...

Goonermerree
05-06-2018, 04:10 PM
My samsung / android phone seems to have an issue with this forum for some reason? Every time I try and edit a post on my mobile it deletes it, and half the time I can't be bothered rewriting it. My thoughts aren't that important anyway.

Remind me what I said? I don't actually remember posting anything in this thread yet...

You said that we might be buying older players to do a job for a couple of years whilst younger players with potential are brought on. That makes sense.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Amended to make it official. :bow:

I'm fine with this, it should jolt Bellerin at the very least.

I am invisible
05-06-2018, 04:48 PM
You said that we might be buying older players to do a job for a couple of years whilst younger players with potential are brought on. That makes sense.
Ah! That ones still there - summer transfer thread, I think?

Goonermerree
05-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Ah! That ones still there - summer transfer thread, I think?

Oops, I was sure it was on this thread, anyway, it makes sense what you said.

selassie
05-06-2018, 05:08 PM
I’m ok with this, he still looked decent last season and will bring leadership and much needed winning experience to the club. Decent addition.

fakeyank
05-06-2018, 05:57 PM
9 if you count Campbell.

Campbell is still an Arsenal player? :unsure:

GP
05-06-2018, 06:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01WRqlxq2Pw

cricketsi
05-06-2018, 07:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01WRqlxq2Pw

He must be old, he still refers to the Europa League as the UEFA Cup.

Özim
05-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Squad filler really, nothing to get too excited about, it's not the kind of signing that will win you titles and Champion leagues.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-06-2018, 07:55 PM
No player will be giving us the Champions League this season.

The Emirates Gallactico
05-06-2018, 08:04 PM
No player will be giving us the Champions League this season.

What about if Liverpool get kicked out of the CL because of what they did to the City bus and Man City get kicked out because of FFP. Us and Chelsea get called up to replace them and we then go on to win it?

fakeyank
05-06-2018, 08:05 PM
What about if Liverpool get kicked out of the CL because of what they did to the City bus and Man City get kicked out because of FFP. Us and Chelsea get called up to replace them and we then go on to win it?

Pass that dutch bruh..

McNamara That Ghost...
05-06-2018, 09:33 PM

We'll draw Bayern.

I am invisible
05-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Oops, I was sure it was on this thread, anyway, it makes sense what you said.
Yeah, it's the only real logic I see in going for a bunch of older, cost-effective / free players. There's 3 young CBs there in desperate need of a mentor, and Bellerin's progress has also stalled, so guys like Lichtsteiner and Sokratis do actually fill a need (even if they're not particularly exciting). And the attitude throughout is way too casual - we need some serious characters in the group.

I'm still hoping for a couple of quality players in their early / mid 20s too, but I only see them making so much difference unless we can get more out of the existing twenty-odd players - that's where the potential big gains are for us in the immediate to short-term, and that's where Emery really has to earn his keep...

Cripps
05-06-2018, 11:08 PM
Everyone wants a young CB but we have Marv. He was top qualitiee against Utd so I think Sokratis and him at the back could be a good pairing.

I am invisible
06-06-2018, 07:06 AM
Everyone wants a young CB but we have Marv. He was top qualitiee against Utd so I think Sokratis and him at the back could be a good pairing.
I can also see there being times where we have to field some combo of Marv, Chambers and/or Holding as an inexperienced CB pairing, so it probably makes sense to have a couple of experienced fullbacks like Monreal and Lichtsteiner to bracket them with...

KSE Comedy Club
06-06-2018, 07:56 AM
I quite like this signing.

It’s exactly the sort of player that we need to whip the younger bitches in line :good:

He’s a winner for 7 years straight, he knows what it takes and how to keep the guys switched on and fighting.

Özim
06-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Took us a bit of time to get this guy signed up, which considering he had no club and wasn't going to the world cup is surprising. Hoping it doesn't take long to sign more players.

Marc Overmars
06-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Took us a bit of time to get this guy signed up, which considering he had no club and wasn't going to the world cup is surprising. .

He’s the Swiss captain.

GP
06-06-2018, 11:05 AM
He’s the Swiss captain.

:lol:

Letters
06-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Zim :pal:

Bumble
06-06-2018, 12:15 PM
not an exciting signing but how many exciting signings are we really going to make this summer. we are in the Europa so unlikely to sign the absolute top drawer players that we have heard of. its a decent signing that fills a gap in the squad. even as a full back he should be able to help the 3 young CBs we have. I don't think the fact he was with a team that won 7 consecutive league titles will really make a difference. England is a much more competitive league and Arsenal aren't as good as Juve and have no way of being able to dominate in the same way.

still its a signing and leaves plenty of money in our war chest to strengthen elsewhere. If Unai can get the defense organised that's half the battle and sell Mustafi.

I am invisible
06-06-2018, 02:01 PM
We've got to buy according to our needs, not that of other clubs, and most of our current needs happen to be relatively unexciting at the moment... new GK... experienced CB who brings a bit of leadership... backup RB... DM / DLP. Basically all of the work-horse roles.

We arguably have plenty of star players (or potential stars) at the club already (although a tricky winger would still be welcome) - what we desperately need is something solid and reliable to build the flair around. An injection of those unglamorous, predictable, 7/10-every-week players, who can carry us through those games or moments when nothing is going our way.

Özim
06-06-2018, 02:01 PM
He’s the Swiss captain.

My mistake :lol:

Having said that I wasn't far off, he may as well not go to the World Cup as Switzerland are rubbish!

Özim
06-06-2018, 02:42 PM
We've got to buy according to our needs, not that of other clubs, and most of our current needs happen to be relatively unexciting at the moment... new GK... experienced CB who brings a bit of leadership... backup RB... DM / DLP. Basically all of the work-horse roles.

We arguably have plenty of star players (or potential stars) at the club already (although a tricky winger would still be welcome) - what we desperately need is something solid and reliable to build the flair around. An injection of those unglamorous, predictable, 7/10-every-week players, who can carry us through those games or moments when nothing is going our way.

These signings could be excited ift they were players we could genuinely look at and think they could make a big difference, Oblak for example as a keeper would be a very exciting signing, CB wise if we got someone Giminez that would be pretty good, it all depends on the players, the guys we're getting are basically getting on so not players you're going to build a team with really hence the reason we're not overly excited.

McNamara That Ghost...
06-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Took us a bit of time to get this guy signed up, which considering he had no club and wasn't going to the world cup is surprising. Hoping it doesn't take long to sign more players.

Eh?

I am invisible
07-06-2018, 11:00 AM
These signings could be excited ift they were players we could genuinely look at and think they could make a big difference, Oblak for example as a keeper would be a very exciting signing, CB wise if we got someone Giminez that would be pretty good, it all depends on the players, the guys we're getting are basically getting on so not players you're going to build a team with really hence the reason we're not overly excited.
I think Sokratis looks a great fit for the league, and I have a feeling the fans will warm to him pretty quickly - he's just not a terribly long-term signing, so it's hard to see him lasting too much beyond these first few, post-wenger transition years.

With both him and Lichtsteiner though, I'm looking at them in terms of what they can do for players like Bellerin and Mavropanos as much as what they can do themselves on the pitch. And it will probably be the same if we end up going for an older DM like N'zonzi - I'll expect them to be able to do a job for a couple of years, but I'll also be looking to see what happens with someone like AMN, if he has a proper mentor and role model there.

But yeah, I totally get that it's not that exciting.

Mac76
07-06-2018, 12:48 PM

After putting up with our shambles at the back, having an experienced defender who's won stuff and knows what he's doing is pretty exciting to me - if half this is true then Lichtsteiner's a good signing:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/analysis-what-lichtsteiner-will-add

Goonermerree
07-06-2018, 01:56 PM
I think if Wenger had bought a 34 year old on a free we would have been going ballistic, but we have to trust the new guy and hope he knows what he's doing. If we're in on near the relegation zone by Christmas:fury:

I'm actually now looking forward to the new season more than the WC given the pubbers we have in the England squad.

Cripps
07-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Stop comparing to Wenger.

We have a proper manager now.

Goonermerree
07-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Stop comparing to Wenger.

We have a proper manager now.

Of course people will compare the new manager to Wenger and how players are playing under the new manager and how fans a reacting to the new manager compared to Wenger. The guy was at the club for 22 years it's a big transition period. Get used to it, the media will be all over it.

Cripps
07-06-2018, 02:42 PM
If you can't see the difference between signing a 34 year old under Wenger vs under Emery then :shrug:

Globalgunner
07-06-2018, 03:28 PM
I think if Wenger had bought a 34 year old on a free we would have been going ballistic, but we have to trust the new guy and hope he knows what he's doing. If we're in on near the relegation zone by Christmas:fury:

I'm actually now looking forward to the new season more than the WC given the pubbers we have in the England squad.

Wenger hasnt bought a WC or even decent defender since Sol Campbell. and hasnt bought and utilised well a forward player since Eduardo. He always buys what he likes rather than what the team needs which has always been the problem. As far as midfielders...Cazorla was probably the last.

Thank God he is gone....No not Cazorla!!!

Cripps
22-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Arsenal new boy Stephan Lichtsteiner has been named among the 'most unpleasant' players a former referee has dealt with.

Jonas Eriksson, who was previously one of the best referees on the planet, has highlighted the ex-Juventus right-back as exceptionally difficult to deal with as an official.

'I have met several international players and to judge a person, you have to meet them several times – and not just once when they have a bad day,' he told Swedish television channel SVT.

'Because everyone can have it. But I have met Lichtsteiner several times and he is one of the most unpleasant players I met.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5873961/Arsenals-Stephan-Lichtsteiner-unpleasant-players-according-former-referee.html

Dirty nasty Arsenal are back :bow:

Niall_Quinn
23-06-2018, 12:07 AM
Joey Barton next?

Let's get real. We're signing dross. But whatever. It can't be as bad as Wenger's magical mystery tour.

Mac76
23-06-2018, 03:16 AM
I saw him in the Swiss-Serb match tell one of the Serb subs who was warming up to 'f**k off', no doubt because they said or did something.

Frankly we need a bit of toughness in the side, as long as they're not some kind of psycho

I am invisible
23-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Anyone else kind of hoping he's as bat-shit crazy as Jens was?

Cripps
23-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Joey Barton next?

Let's get real. We're signing dross. But whatever. It can't be as bad as Wenger's magical mystery tour.

What are you expecting exactly? The Fabinhos and Fred's of this world? You need to get real

Penguin
24-06-2018, 06:48 AM
I saw him in the Swiss-Serb match tell one of the Serb subs who was warming up to 'f**k off', no doubt because they said or did something.

Frankly we need a bit of toughness in the side, as long as they're not some kind of psycho

It's fine if he's smart about it and uses it to help us on the pitch. Some of the other 'tough guys' we've signed have had the opposite effect. Look at Xhaka getting needlessly getting booked, sent off, giving away cheap free kicks and penalties.

Mac76
24-06-2018, 02:51 PM
It's fine if he's smart about it and uses it to help us on the pitch. Some of the other 'tough guys' we've signed have had the opposite effect. Look at Xhaka getting needlessly getting booked, sent off, giving away cheap free kicks and penalties.

Totally but hopefully he's the right kind of tough