PDA

View Full Version : Emery's Arsenal

I am invisible
10-06-2018, 09:23 AM
What are we expecting / hoping for from our shiny, new first team coach then?

Any thoughts about likely formation, playing style and tactics?

Looking at his previous teams, are there any consistent attributes that he looks for in certain players, and does that give us any clues about who he'll want to bring in?

What about the current players? Who will he be impressed by and who do we think might find themselves frozen out?

Who do we think we might see an improvement from? He supposedly turned up to his interview with a detailed dossier on the whole squad, with a lot of ideas about how to develop certain players, so is there anyone who we think he'll be viewing as a special project? Maybe there's a bunch of players there who would look infinitely better with little more than a bit of structure and proper instruction?

How do we think the players will respond to the new training methods? It certainly sounds like they're going to have to put a lot more hours in!

What are we expecting to see after year 1? Year 2? Year 3? How long are we prepared to give him and how do we define success?

Loads to talk about there already, and I'm sure I've only just scratched the surface...

Goonermerree
10-06-2018, 01:43 PM
I'm hoping to see an improvement in all of the players, but mostly I want us to grow a backbone, if we're going to lose a match, at least go down fighting. Get rid of the schoolboy defensive errors and get a grip in midfield so that our striking line up can do their job, we have some good forward players. It's exciting going into the new season with some hope.

I don't know if he can get us in top four in his first season, but consistency could be a big factor. I hope to be in Top 4 by his second season. I don't think we have a god given right to win the League, but I hope we can at least be challenging into April in future seasons, and hopefully win it at some point. I also think that some players will be gone over time too.

I am invisible
10-06-2018, 02:37 PM
I'm hoping to see an improvement in all of the players, but mostly I want us to grow a backbone, if we're going to lose a match, at least go down fighting. Get rid of the schoolboy defensive errors and get a grip in midfield so that our striking line up can do their job, we have some good forward players. It's exciting going into the new season with some hope.

I don't know if he can get us in top four in his first season, but consistency could be a big factor. I hope to be in Top 4 by his second season. I don't think we have a god given right to win the League, but I hope we can at least be challenging into April in future seasons, and hopefully win it at some point. I also think that some players will be gone over time too.

Yeah, my immediate hopes are just to be taken seriously again really, and not go into every season knowing exactly where we're going to finish (and how and when we're going to collapse) before we've even kicked a ball. I don't necessarily mind finishing 6th out of a very strong top 6, as long as we're genuinely pushing the teams who end up above us all the way and there's not much separating any of us going in to the final weeks. Having said that, I'll obviously be hoping for a higher finish than 6th and being a serious threat in the cups.

In all honesty it looks like Man City and Liverpool might take a few years to catch up with anyway, so that buys us a bit of breathing space to get our house in order before anyone expects anything serious from us. However, I do think that Man U, sp**s and Chelsea are there to be caught - that feels like an achievable goal to set.

Penguin
10-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Yeah that's the most important thing for me. We have been pushovers for a long time and that's one thing I absolutely can't stand. I want other teams to fear us again.

I am invisible
10-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Emery's already given us a few clues about what we might expect in some of his interviews...

He seems to favour a 4231 formation - he's talked a lot about intensity and a high press, so I think he'll need 4 attacking players to really make that tick.

That being said, if he hasn't got the players he needs to make it work straightaway it sounds pragmatic enough to adapt to the players he has, so I think he might go 433 (or 4312) to begin with, and then work his way up to a 4231.

Regardless of formation, it looks like there's a couple of consistent themes in all of his sides...

A GK who's good with his feet, and CBs who can pass look standard, as do fullbacks who get up and down the flanks, providing width for the attack and overloads for the high press).

And, from what I've read, he likes to play with a DM who sits almost between the 2 CBs - I guess that helps balance out the fullbacks when they push forwards? Not sure what he looks for in the other 1/2 CMs - I guess it will be the usual, high-energy, B2B type, with a more attack-minded midfielder if we have a central 3?

Interesting to hear his thoughts on DMs in general - his aim is to dominate possession and win the ball back early, from the front, so tends to value more of a deep-lying play-maker in that area than a pure midfield destroyer. I'm guessing the attacking players end up doing most of the destroying and ball-winning in a high press, and if that's true for us then it will also be true for any opponents who implement a high-press too - with that in mind, I'm starting to think that the most important defensive contribution that deep midfielder can make is helping us to evade an opposition press, and provide an outlet for our CBs when they're being pressured?

Letters
11-06-2018, 08:52 AM
I'm just hoping that we'll play football I enjoy watching more regularly, that we'll go into big games expecting to get something rather than hiding under our beds and that we'll add a bit of steel both mentally and physically. And for the love of God can we have a strong captain? It's embarrassing how long it's been since we've had one.

I don't expect us to be sweeping all before us, quite honestly no manager could achieve that these days, too much money sloshing around. City have spent half a billion pounds to "achieve" what they did last year. But we have the money and infrastructure to be up there competing, combine that with playing decent football and I'll be content enough.

Cripps
11-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Gazidis has clearly told the new manager the remit

Pressing off the ball
Attacking football
Set up well tactically

So those are 3 main things for me. Time to move from the dark ages.

fakeyank
12-06-2018, 01:12 PM
I'm just hoping that we'll play football I enjoy watching more regularly, that we'll go into big games expecting to get something rather than hiding under our beds and that we'll add a bit of steel both mentally and physically. And for the love of God can we have a strong captain? It's embarrassing how long it's been since we've had one.

I don't expect us to be sweeping all before us, quite honestly no manager could achieve that these days, too much money sloshing around. City have spent half a billion pounds to "achieve" what they did last year. But we have the money and infrastructure to be up there competing, combine that with playing decent football and I'll be content enough.

:gp:

Agree with Letters here. I just want us to play decent football and compete. Sick of going into big games never looking like we have a chance.

I am invisible
16-06-2018, 08:29 AM
So... Emery has said that he wants to build around Ramsey (and Auba), we've nearly wrapped up a deal for Torreira, and we've just tied Xhaka down to a lengthy new contract... I guess we're starting to get a clearer idea of how the midfield will look next season. (Big new contract for AMN too, who the club obviously have plans for.)

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Xhaka does next season - tactics and instruction, defined structure, a high-energy DM, a lightening-fast CF and proper wing backs are all things that will compliment his game, and I'll be disappointed if I don't see him move up a level...

Mac76
16-06-2018, 11:28 AM
So... Emery has said that he wants to build around Ramsey (and Auba), we've nearly wrapped up a deal for Torreira, and we've just tied Xhaka down to a lengthy new contract... I guess we're starting to get a clearer idea of how the midfield will look next season. (Big new contract for AMN too, who the club obviously have plans for.)

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Xhaka does next season - tactics and instruction, defined structure, a high-energy DM, a lightening-fast CF and proper wing backs are all things that will compliment his game, and I'll be disappointed if I don't see him move up a level...

The trouble is, he needs to move up several levels to be good enough, but fair enough, let's see what Emery can do with him

Am more pleased about AMN, we've a really good player there

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
16-06-2018, 12:59 PM
I can't stand Xhaka. Gutted we won't just sell him.

Penguin
16-06-2018, 03:56 PM
I can't stand Xhaka. Gutted we won't just sell him.

I can't believe we've actually given him a contract extension (and presumably topped up his salary). Whoever made that decision clearly hasn't been watching him play.

I can understand Emery wanting to give him a fair chance in the new system but it's a shocking decision to reward him with a new contract.

I am invisible
16-06-2018, 04:27 PM
The trouble is, he needs to move up several levels to be good enough, but fair enough, let's see what Emery can do with him

Am more pleased about AMN, we've a really good player there
Yeah, really excited about AMN. I'm curious to see what Emery can do with Xhaka, but I feel a lot better knowing that Ainsley is there, ready and waiting - if his form doesn't improve then we won't have to keep dishing out second chances because he's out only midfielder who can stay fit for more than 2 games in a row.

And who knows - maybe we'll even start picking players according to the games that they're suited to now, instead just fielding the same XI against anyone and everyone (again, if they're fit)?

Mac76
16-06-2018, 09:59 PM
And who knows - maybe we'll even start picking players according to the games that they're suited to now, instead just fielding the same XI against anyone and everyone (again, if they're fit)?

Yes, would certainly be a welcome change...

Niall_Quinn
17-06-2018, 12:32 AM
I can't believe we've actually given him a contract extension (and presumably topped up his salary). Whoever made that decision clearly hasn't been watching him play.

I can understand Emery wanting to give him a fair chance in the new system but it's a shocking decision to reward him with a new contract.

Every single piece of news since Emery signed is BAD. But we can't admit it because Wenger has gone. And all of us, except Ty and Letters, were desperate for that. So we watch what's happening and we try to reason in a positive light. New start. Give the manager a chance. Etc.Etc. And yes, fair enough.

All that said, what he's done so far is SHIT. If it's even him doing it. I mean let's be honest about it.

I'll give him a chance. Much like I do when I buy a lottery ticket.

Goonermerree
17-06-2018, 09:01 AM
I must admit, I too an a bit underwhelmed by what is happening so far with Emery, but we have to give him a chance. Maybe he sees something in Xhaka that he thinks he can work with and has a plan for the older payers he's bringing in which can bring us success. I'm still more excited for the start of a season than I have been in a long while. And some of those players we're linked with seem OK,let's hope we can get them in.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
17-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Every single piece of news since Emery signed is BAD. But we can't admit it because Wenger has gone. And all of us, except Ty and Letters, were desperate for that. So we watch what's happening and we try to reason in a positive light. New start. Give the manager a chance. Etc.Etc. And yes, fair enough.

All that said, what he's done so far is SHIT. If it's even him doing it. I mean let's be honest about it.

Pretty good post.

I've been on cloud 9 for so long that I havent really sat down to analyse all the happenings so far since Emery came onboard...and honestly if all this happened under AW I'd have sat out the coming season and concentrated on my imaginary garden.

I'm really bummed out by this news on Xhaka as I'm almost certain he will never make it in this or any serious footballing league. However, if there is a positive about all of the news so far, it seems Emery might be doing what I would expect from an experienced coach who knows his onions i.e. keeping his team together first and getting to know them personally before eventually tinkering with it.

I always wanted AW's replacement to build on this team and not to wholesale dismantle it in a hurry. Lets not forget that some of us have said it over and over again that one of the main reasons why AW was so succesful in the beginning was that the spine of his early team was Of Graham's making and once the remnants of that was gone the magic disappeared and we were left with an emperor's new clothes situation.....

So I never really wanted someone who would simply ask for a blank cheque like the press made Arteta and all their favourites out to be... I wanted someone who could get the best out of these lily livered losers because a part of me actually doesn't think they are losers; or that bad; or that Citeh or any of our rivals are that much better than us.

So I'm stll looking forward to this new season and back on cloud 9......... though I'll probably drop off again if they extend Mustafi's contract or make him captain.... fingers crossed!

I am invisible
17-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Interesting comparison to Wenger [building on Graham's foundations]. Emery will also inherit a side that is half prepared, but whereas Wenger had to free up a team that was so tight and regimented that it had no imagination or creativity, Emery will have to tighten up a group that's become so free and impulsive that it's lost the focus and discipline it needs to get anything done...

Power n Glory
18-06-2018, 06:45 AM

Before Wenger turned into a joke of a manger, whoever he signed, or was linked to signing, I'd trust Wenger would have a plan for and could turn into an Arsenal great. Emery needs that same sort of support and benefit of the doubt. Disappointed to see Xhaka get a new deal but I'd be just as pissed if he were to suddenly pull a Flamini season.

Try and keep the negative energy away from the club until things have really turned sour. We have no idea how Emery will man manage poor performers, whether he's identified specific players that can play well against certain opposition, how he'll rotate the team, it's unfair to base assumptions on what we saw from Wenger at his absolute worst and project that on to Emery.

I'd honestly give up watching Arsenal if I felt the same as how you feel now. Why put myself through another 10 years of it? If I felt the club were that lost and it's down to the owners, I'd withdraw my support and attention all together. Actions speak louder than words. Last season proved that. The amount of people that stopped turning up to games was more effective than banners, protests or online talk/blogs or the media.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-06-2018, 08:05 PM
I think the Juventus Vet is going to get some serious roastings on speed against a few sides......

His cynical foul he other day for the Swiss was just stupid rather than clever.

Niall_Quinn
18-06-2018, 10:16 PM
Before Wenger turned into a joke of a manger, whoever he signed, or was linked to signing, I'd trust Wenger would have a plan for and could turn into an Arsenal great. Emery needs that same sort of support and benefit of the doubt. Disappointed to see Xhaka get a new deal but I'd be just as pissed if he were to suddenly pull a Flamini season.

Try and keep the negative energy away from the club until things have really turned sour. We have no idea how Emery will man manage poor performers, whether he's identified specific players that can play well against certain opposition, how he'll rotate the team, it's unfair to base assumptions on what we saw from Wenger at his absolute worst and project that on to Emery.

I'd honestly give up watching Arsenal if I felt the same as how you feel now. Why put myself through another 10 years of it? If I felt the club were that lost and it's down to the owners, I'd withdraw my support and attention all together. Actions speak louder than words. Last season proved that. The amount of people that stopped turning up to games was more effective than banners, protests or online talk/blogs or the media.

We may see marvellous things when Emery's first team takes to the pitch. I reserve all judgement on that for now. But off the pitch, what we've seen so far is very much like what we've seen in the past. There's time yet, but unless they are keeping things very close to their chests it does appear we won't be doing anything of note in the transfer window.

It's fine to say give the guy a chance. But so far, nothing to report. There's no point pretending otherwise. Hopefully this manager is here to push things along rather than repair Wenger's mess and settle us down into 4th place obscurity once again.

Cripps
18-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Wenger would never have signed a solid 34 year old title winner from Juventus to give Bellerin competition, or signed another goalkeeper despite having Cech and Ospina, or signed the most experienced centre back from Dortmund, or let Santi go. So no it's not like we've seen in the past.

I am invisible
19-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Are we even certain that Emery is responsible for transfers, before we start holding him to account for them? I'm sure he'll have input into the types of player he wants, and he'll probably get a veto on any player he really, really doesn't want, but I thought the whole point of this restructuring was to take all of these responsibilities away from manager so we ended up with a focused first team coach? Most of the work that we judge him on will come down to his ability to coach, and he can't really do much in that respect yet while the players are all away and he's still hiring his team.

If you want to look on the sunny side of our transfer business, at least we're not just buying up random players in well-stocked positions again.

We needed a GK, we're signing a GK.

We needed a CB, we're signing a CB (possibly 2, and maybe even 3 if you include Mavs).

We needed a backup RB, we've signed a backup RB.

We needed a DM, we're signing a DM.

When was the last time we actually identified and addressed problem areas like this? If we somehow manage to bring in a tricky winger as well, then I'll actually be quite impressed with the way we've gone about things.

Mac76
28-06-2018, 09:42 AM
We HAVEN'T got rid of Steve Bould :o

Those photos he has of Ivan and Stan together must be VERY revealing...

https://www.arsenal.com/news/first-team-coaching-staff-confirmed

GP
28-06-2018, 11:29 AM
We HAVEN'T got rid of Steve Bould

Why would we?

Cripps
28-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Now we have a manager and not a strict dictator he'll hopefully be given more freedom.

Cripps
28-06-2018, 05:32 PM
https://youtu.be/w2RZxH_fB6w

What a man :bow:

A guy that respects the fans instead of insults them. Big Em :bow:

Goonermerree
29-06-2018, 05:38 AM
So important to get the fans onside. Come on Arsenal. Can't wait for the season.

Mac76
29-06-2018, 06:39 AM
Why would we?

You've clearly not been watching us try to defend for the last few seasons, and in general displaying a complete lack of effective coaching....

GP
29-06-2018, 08:17 AM
You've clearly not been watching us try to defend for the last few seasons, and in general displaying a complete lack of effective coaching....

Do you think he was the defensive coach?

Static
29-06-2018, 08:18 AM
Do you think he was the defensive coach?

Do you think he allowed defensive coaches to interfere with his work? Should we ask Keown?

GP
29-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Do you think he allowed defensive coaches to interfere with his work? Should we ask Keown?

Who are you talking about?

Cripps
29-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Relax guys. We have a manager now.

Cripps
01-07-2018, 10:54 PM
His first training session tomorrow, can you imagine the shock colney creche is about to get :lol:

From an old dinosaur putting a few cones out and talking about mental strength to proper, intense tactical training sessions :lol:

Cripps
04-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Training vid up on Arsenal site:

https://www.arsenal.com/

That Carcedo is literally shouting and growling all the way through the training session :lol:

What a nutter :bow:

Marc Overmars
04-07-2018, 10:11 PM
Normally when they put behind the scenes videos up it has music playing over the footage. I think they’ve deliberately left it out of these videos to show us all what is going on by hearing the communication. Quite fascinating to watch tbf.

Static
04-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Who are you talking about?

Wenger. He didn't want to point out defensive mistakes because it could hinder a player's decision making in matches.

GP
05-07-2018, 08:22 AM
Wenger. He didn't want to point out defensive mistakes because it could hinder a player's decision making in matches.

No one was talking about Wenger, we were talking about Steve Bould.

Letters
05-07-2018, 08:36 AM
He's got no hair.
But we don't care.

:sulk:

Cripps
05-07-2018, 03:47 PM
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1014874577120452608?s=09

Carcedo showing our boys how to be dirty already :lol:

The Emirates Gallactico
05-07-2018, 05:20 PM
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1014874577120452608?s=09

Carcedo showing our boys how to be dirty already :lol:

Actual defensive training at the club. :faint:

I know they've been edited for PR purposes but I fucking love all the videos & photos they've posted recently of the training sessions - fantastic & reassuring. As MO said, probably deliberately put out by the club for that very reason.

By the way did anyone notice that Mustafi didn't do it (the shithousery Carcedo was talking about) right. He fucked it up. :haha::haha:

Holding though excelled at it. :bow:

KSE Comedy Club
05-07-2018, 09:33 PM
We already look ten times better in that one trading vid :lol:

Static
06-07-2018, 02:53 AM
No one was talking about Wenger, we were talking about Steve Bould.

Oh, right.

My bad.

Carry on!

McNamara That Ghost...
06-07-2018, 01:56 PM
We already look ten times better in that one trading vid :lol:

Arsenal have released another one on Facebook, three of them collapsed to the ground in the sprinting. :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
06-07-2018, 02:30 PM
Cross comes in from Pavard, somehow bobbles passed everybody.

Master Splinter
06-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Maccy Bot malfunctioning again?

Cripps
06-07-2018, 02:48 PM

:unsure:

McNamara That Ghost...
06-07-2018, 02:52 PM
:lol:

Me. :haha:

Cripps
06-07-2018, 02:57 PM
:pal:

Letters
06-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Maccy Bot malfunctioning again?

I'll reboot him.

Cripps
06-07-2018, 03:52 PM
I'll boot him.

You're experienced in that.

I am invisible
05-08-2018, 08:32 AM
Pretty hard to judge what shape / players we’re going to go with based on pre-season? It’s been something different in every half so far.

I guess the base of midfield will have to be Guendouzi and Elneny against City - Torreira and Xhaka will probably need an extra week of conditioning under their belts before they’re ready, Ramsey is “injured” and it looks like we’ll need AMN to cover LB.

Literally no idea who Emery will pick in attack! Not Welbeck - that’s about all I’ve been able to glean so far...

Mac76
05-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Literally no idea who Emery will pick in attack! Not Welbeck - that’s about all I’ve been able to glean so far...

If Welbeck's still here this time next season i'll be pretty diappointed in Emery, surely he'll sus that he's got a nice smile but he's also f*****g useless in front of goal