PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Torreira (official)

Marc Overmars
10-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Done.

https://twitter.com/arsenal/status/1016686876386844674?s=21

McNamara That Ghost...
10-07-2018, 02:18 PM
What a man. :bow:

Cripps
10-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Finally a proper DM :bow:

SASIE :bow:

Cripps
10-07-2018, 02:22 PM
4 signings, 5th imminent, and it's only 10th July :faint:

LDG
10-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Metal face :bow:

Özim
10-07-2018, 03:03 PM
4 signings, 5th imminent, and it's only 10th July :faint:

Welcome to a world without waiting periods!

Özim
10-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Looks a very good player based on the World Cup (though I know World Cups are not representative of a players' quality as you often get a player who stands out and then doesn't really reproduce that form afterwards), bout time we got a decent DM, not powderpuff rubbish like some of the others we've brought in before.

Letters
10-07-2018, 03:22 PM
It's coming home!

Goonermerree
10-07-2018, 03:45 PM

Dunno how we're doing all this in a World Cup year!

I am invisible
10-07-2018, 03:55 PM
LANS! :bow:

"L" :pal:

Cripps
10-07-2018, 03:57 PM
You can't buy more than 3 players because it disrupts the squad remember, even though he bought 7 in 97/98 and we won the double :lol:

I am invisible
10-07-2018, 04:05 PM
You can't buy more than 3 players because it disrupts the squad remember, even though he bought 7 in 97/98 and we won the double :lol:

Didn't he also bring in a load of players before the second double?

Letters
10-07-2018, 04:07 PM

Which 7? According to this 12 players came into the club that summer:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-arsenal/alletransfers/verein/11

But only Overmars and Petit were regular starters, Grimandi started about half the games. The rest were bit parts.

Globalgunner
10-07-2018, 04:08 PM

Everyone who`s been married knows there's always a waiting period.
Polygamy is the answer

Letters
10-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Didn't he also bring in a load of players before the second double?

Well, again, depends what you mean. Quite a few players came into the club. Sol Campbell was a notable signing as was van Bronckhorst. Richard Wright game in and played a fair number of games.
Not many others of note.

Wenger was never one to bring in lots of new players to slot straight into the first team.

Letters
10-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Everyone who`s been married knows there's always a waiting period.
Polygamy is the answer

You say that, if they live together don't they synchronise? :sick:

Cripps
10-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Which 7? According to this 12 players came into the club that summer:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-arsenal/alletransfers/verein/11

But only Overmars and Petit were regular starters, Grimandi started about half the games. The rest were bit parts.

I counted 7 off the top of my head, but if it's 12 and it makes Wenger look even more stupid then great :tiphat:

Power n Glory
10-07-2018, 05:11 PM
What's happening with Wenger's new job?

I am invisible
10-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Well, again, depends what you mean. Quite a few players came into the club. Sol Campbell was a notable signing as was van Bronckhorst. Richard Wright game in and played a fair number of games.
Not many others of note.

Wenger was never one to bring in lots of new players to slot straight into the first team.
You forgot the unimaginable goal-scoring power of Francis Jeffers!

The Emirates Gallactico
10-07-2018, 05:21 PM

He's praying for Belgium tonight.

Özim
10-07-2018, 05:25 PM

He's in a waiting period, waiting for all the top clubs who offered him countless jobs to come back to him, the guy at PSG wants him apparently, the only hitch is that he actually doesn't.

Real wanted him too, again though turns out they didn't.

So that's already 2 he almost signed for right there. I think the queue at his door is so long it's taking a long time to get through it.

Letters
10-07-2018, 05:34 PM
I counted 7 off the top of my head, but if it's 12 and it makes Wenger look even more stupid then great :tiphat:

And this, right here, is why you add nothing to this place :)
You may be capable of debate but you choose not to engage, you just WUM instead.

The point you are pretending not to understand is that we did not make many signings who became regular first team players. If anything Wenger was far too content to rest on his laurels and not make many major signings after a successful season, had he done so we would probably have retained the title and win 3 in a row from 02-04

So the idea that we signed 7 players that summer is a deliberate misrepresentation of what happened

Özim
10-07-2018, 05:36 PM
You may be capable of debate but you choose not to engage, you just WUM instead.

The point you are pretending not to understand is that we did not make many signings who became regular first team players. If anything Wenger was far too content to rest on his laurels and not make many major signings after a successful season, had he done so we would probably have retained the title and win 3 in a row from 02-04

Let's be honest, he never did what was needed in the transfer market, always making excuses and failing to sign players in the positions we needed, one of his many failings.

McNamara That Ghost...
10-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Why has a thread about a new signing descended in to Wenger talk?

Letters
10-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Let's be honest, he never did what was needed in the transfer market, always making excuses and failing to sign players in the positions we needed, one of his many failings.

Well, I agree. After the early days when he just knew the worldwide game better the others, when he rest caught up he often wasn’t doing the right things. I actually don’t disagree with the idea that a squad should be supplemented with a few key players each summer but they have to be the right players and as I said we never pushed on after a successful season.

Letters
10-07-2018, 05:41 PM

Are you new here? ;)

Agreed though, let’s leave it and not let it take over ANOTHER thread

Power n Glory
10-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Just let it be. Whenever we talk about former players it's never questioned or moved to a non Arsenal area because we all know they're still part of Arsenal's fabric.

Cripps
10-07-2018, 06:24 PM

So the idea that we signed 7 players that summer is a deliberate misrepresentation of what happened

:lol: wenger said signing more than 3 players unsettles a squad. We both agree he signed significantly more than that :lol:

But I'm a WUM :haha:

Cripps
10-07-2018, 06:25 PM
He's in a waiting period, waiting for all the top clubs who offered him countless jobs to come back to him, the guy at PSG wants him apparently, the only hitch is that he actually doesn't.

Real wanted him too, again though turns out they didn't.

So that's already 2 he almost signed for right there. I think the queue at his door is so long it's taking a long time to get through it.

:lol: no one wants that loser.

Goonermerree
10-07-2018, 06:32 PM
To be fair Wenger was with us for 22 years, it will take a few months to get him out of our system. Maybe once the new season starts, we'll all move on bit.

Letters
10-07-2018, 06:35 PM
To be fair Wenger was with us for 22 dyers.

That's one hell of an autocorrect :blink:

Goonermerree
10-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Dunno what happened there!

GP
10-07-2018, 07:35 PM

TWAT!

I am invisible
11-07-2018, 07:48 AM
"After Sergio Busquets, he is tactically the strongest midfielder in Europe." (http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11430961/lucas-torreira-to-arsenal-best-tactically-since-sergio-busquets)

(Acccording to his former coach at Pescara, Marcello Donatelli, anyway.)

"His technique, his determination and his tactical intelligence always impressed me.

He has always been strong in understanding those defensive tactical aspects and he is very mature tactically in terms of how he reads the game. He can cope with the gaps that emerge in midfield with great intelligence and he covers very well. He is the one who corrects the spaces and cuts out the passes between the lines in the defensive phase.

After Sergio Busquets, he is tactically the strongest midfielder in Europe.

He is a computer in the middle of the field.There is nothing to add."

Made more than 100 tackles last season (the third most of any player in Serie A).

He also ranked sixth for interceptions.

And was in the top 10 for passes too.

In addition to comparisons to Kante, he's also been likened to former Pescara playmaker Marco Verratti, and was apparently once recommended to Juventus as the long-term heir to Andrea Pirlo!

I guess that last bit could just be youthful promise that never materialised at senior level, but you never know! Maybe there's more to come from the lad than just breaking up play?

selassie
11-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Good signing!

Globalgunner
11-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Maybe soon we can start calling him Terrier on the back of some tenacious performances.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-09-2018, 06:05 PM
He went off at half time in Uruguay's 4-1 win against Mexico, calf strain apparently.

Xhaka is clearly practising some blood magic rituals or something.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-09-2018, 11:49 PM
This guy just has to be starting now, he drives us forward from midfield in a meaningful way that the others really don't.

And I don't mean against Vorsprung Durch Technik or whoever we play on Thursday but in the league.

Özim
16-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Yeah he does, find it odd that he hasn't so far, there's no real excuses, he's played in the World Cup so was fit and he always adds something to our game. Odd that the manager hasn't wanted to start him or indeed Leno at all and yet was happy to play a 19 year old from the beginning.

selassie
18-09-2018, 11:32 AM
This guy looks like a very good signing TBH. He came with a rep and he is justifying it. He absolutely should be starting every game now on. I also think he looks a very good partner for Xhaka, they compliment each other and I think Xhaka’s performances when playing alongside him have been pretty good tbh.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-09-2018, 12:44 PM
I don't like the comparisons to Veratti and Cazorla I've heard but I do get it. What I love about him is the fact he doesn't dwell on the ball too long. He receives it and gives it in quick succession which is contrary to one of the most detestable features of our game at it's worse, when we simply do not move the ball around quickly enough.

I'm not being a naysayer and I do think he helps to mute some of Xhaka's deficiencies but I think Xhaka's good game was as much to do with Newcastle sitting off us in the second half. We know he is at his worst when he is pressed and Newcastle really didn't press us in the areas he operates in in any meaningful way meaning he had time and space on the ball.

I would always prefer a midfielder like Dembele (prior to this season....I think he's actually done now) to Xhaka as Demeble at his best is incredibly strong and incredibly resistant to being pressed.

If Torreira is tactically the best midfielder after Busquets, Emery really hasn't received the memo! I would virtually sacrifice any player in the first team to make way for Torreira right now. Such is his intelligence I have to remind myself he's actually a very young player at 22.

McNamara That Ghost...
04-11-2018, 01:13 AM
I love this little beast. :bow:

Gooner23
04-11-2018, 08:21 AM
He's our best signing for a long long time, absolutely brilliant player!

McNamara That Ghost...
04-11-2018, 10:46 AM
https://twitter.com/3iz_55/status/1058870060150861825/video/1

Sums him up. :bow:

selassie
04-11-2018, 11:28 AM
I missed the game yesterday, was out with the Mrs. Just watched the highlights this morning, this guy is an animal, outstanding performance!

GP
04-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Great player!

Wenger :bow:

Globalgunner
04-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Brilliant player, better than Kante, and Kante is a hell of a player.

Marc Overmars
04-11-2018, 01:25 PM
We’ve needed an all-action midfielder like him for years. I really think we could struggle without him because he’s so different to anything else we have in midfield.

Makes a huge difference when you’re being pressed but you have a player who’s savvy enough to evade tackles and also win the ball back as well. He doesn’t faff around on the ball either, just keeps it moving and helps to drive us forward.

Gooner23
04-11-2018, 01:48 PM
https://twitter.com/3iz_55/status/1058870060150861825/video/1

Sums him up. :bow:

Loved seeing that, slide tackle timed to perfection but the best bit was shrugging the Liverpool player off the ball like he wasn't there. I think he's destined for big things in the game, hopefully with us.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-12-2018, 06:33 PM
:bow:

Too good this GOAT.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
08-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Is it too soon to extend his contract?

Ralpheroo72
09-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Absolutely love this guy, what an immense addition!

Mac76
09-12-2018, 10:52 AM
great goal, what a player

dazthegooner
09-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Got so say probably the signing of the season so far.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Signing of the premier league this season period and only 22! We don't have to say stuff like 'well he's young' and he'll learn, he just has so much nouse and discipline. Like a 30 year old man in a kids body.

Who actually scouted him....? Mislentat?