PDA

View Full Version : Belgium v England, 14th July, 15:00 BST, ITV

Letters
12-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Honestly, who gives a flying fuck about this game?
What is even the point of it?
"Ooh, we came 3rd in the World Cup!"
So what? Who is going to remember that? I've no idea who came 3rd last time.
I don't think I bothered watching it in 1990, I have no idea who won (have a feeling England lost actually, but I can't be arsed looking it up now and don't care anyway)

In brief: Meh.

:ilt:

Goonermerree
12-07-2018, 08:22 AM
Both Belgium and us will be remembered, at times, for getting to a semi-final. The media won't let us forget that!

GP
12-07-2018, 08:23 AM
Honestly, who gives a flying fuck about this game?
What is even the point of it?
"Ooh, we came 3rd in the World Cup!"
So what? Who is going to remember that? I've no idea who came 3rd last time.
I don't think I bothered watching it in 1990, I have no idea who won (have a feeling England lost actually, but I can't be arsed looking it up now and don't care anyway)

In brief: Meh.

:ilt:

England lost 2-1 to Italy. David Platt scored.

Letters
12-07-2018, 08:29 AM
I won't forget our campaign overall, but this game...does anyone want to play this? Why bother?
It's like having a "3rd place play-off" in the FA Cup. I mean, Spurs might put that on the "honours" page of their website but no-one else would.

Letters
12-07-2018, 08:30 AM
England lost 2-1 to Italy. David Platt scored.

Oh.

Marc Overmars
12-07-2018, 08:48 AM
It's a pointless game. I'm surprised they haven't done away with it by now.

I'm sure after such disappointment the players just want to bugger off on their holidays instead of playing in this.

Welbz if he still can't get a game. :haha:

Mac76
12-07-2018, 09:45 AM

:lol:

let's face it it's still going to be watched by millions and raise loads of advertising cash so that's why it's played

i think Southgate should def play the reserves for the experience - last night's team really won't care to play, but the reserves will want the opportunity for a big international game abroad etc

either way Belgium will turn up and murder us 5-0 I reckon

SMatthews
12-07-2018, 10:57 AM
It's a pointless game. I'm surprised they haven't done away with it by now.

I'm sure after such disappointment the players just want to bugger off on their holidays instead of playing in this.

Pretty sure their club bosses will be putting in phone calls asking them to be rested, especially players like Trippier and Kane who looked shot by the end of the game. Prem kicks off in a month's time.

Goonermerree
12-07-2018, 11:02 AM
I hope Welbz gets a game, it will be his last tournament for England.

LDG
12-07-2018, 12:56 PM
Pretty sure their club bosses will be putting in phone calls asking them to be rested, especially players like Trippier and Kane who looked shot by the end of the game. Prem kicks off in a month's time.

I was trying to work out how many of City and Chelsea teams will still be on their break (or only just back in training) for the first few games.

Gives us an advantage I reckon, given our lot we’ren’t involved much...

GP
12-07-2018, 01:15 PM
I was trying to work out how many of City and Chelsea teams will still be on their break (or only just back in training) for the first few games.

Gives us an advantage I reckon, given our lot we’ren’t involved much...

Yeah, I think so too.

There's quite a few involved right until the end.

Marc Overmars
12-07-2018, 01:19 PM
We should have a fully fit and fresh squad come the start of the season. No excuses for a slow start, all the key players will have had a full pre-season.

Globalgunner
12-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Letters of course has put the kiss of death on England's chances by starting this thread.

The Emirates Gallactico
12-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Letters of course has put the kiss of death on England's chances by starting this thread.

:gp:

The triple curse of Letters, ITV and the White Kit did England in.

:threaten:

Letters
12-07-2018, 09:13 PM

I started the the Sweden thread

:fingers:

Globalgunner
14-07-2018, 08:17 AM
I started the the Sweden thread

:fingers:

Im using this forum to plead with Letters not to start any Arsenal matchday threads next season. Give Unai a sporting chance okay?

Anyway I predict a 2-1 England loss with Danny Welbeck scoring off his knee

Letters
14-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Fine. But don’t you come crawling back to me when Maccy starts the first two match threads and we lose both games :sulk:

Globalgunner
14-07-2018, 09:43 AM
TBF, our last 10 lousy seasons can be partially attributed to Maccy. Where`s Ollie the Optimist when you need him? Did he die of unfulfilled hope.? Hope is back Ollie!

Globalgunner
14-07-2018, 01:14 PM
So,where is everybody for this glorious 3rd place play-off match?. Or are we again settling for 4th place?

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Belgium: Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Vertonghen, Meunier, Chadli, Tielemans, Witsel, De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku.

England: Pickford, Jones, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Rose, Dier, Delph, Loftus-Cheek, Sterling, Kane.

Welbz. :rose:

Just retire mate.

Globalgunner
14-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Muenier scores. 1-0 Belgium

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 02:08 PM
England. :lol:

Globalgunner
14-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Get Chadli of FFS. Its just a glorified friendly for Petes sake

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Rose hauled off, Lingard on.

Sterling hauled off, Rashford on.

Globalgunner
14-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Welbeck cant even get on in this pitiful match

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Commentators making up an injury for Kane to make excuses for him.

Globalgunner
14-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Commentators making up an injury for Kane to make excuses for him.

Memo has been passed round the media houses, Still a shoo in for the Ballon no doubt

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Lukaku with a pub touch when clean through!

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Lukaku hauled off, Mertens on.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Dier. :haha:

How has he not scored?

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Great save from Pickford to deny Meunier!

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 03:40 PM
2-0 Hazard!

Globalgunner
14-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Belgium doing the Harlem Globetrotters thing now. Hazard scores 2-0

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 03:48 PM
England have lost three matches in this tournament. Impressive.

Globalgunner
14-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Not as impressive as putting 90% of Goonersweb posters into a coma

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2018, 04:00 PM
4th Placed Trophy. :trophy:

2-0 FT in the end.

Dier is hopeless.

Mac76
14-07-2018, 06:36 PM
Total joke if kane gets the golden boot, he should refuse it because most of it was was flukes and penalties, but of course he has no class and it's the only thing he'll ever win if he stays with spuds

Either way FIFA should change the rules so penalties don't count towards the golden boot

Penguin
14-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Henderson, Delph, Dier... all of England's CMs are shocking.

Master Splinter
14-07-2018, 07:06 PM
England :haha:.

Unsurprisingly they lost against the good teams they faced.

But they beat Panama and Tunisia and a Hames-less Colombia. Things are looking up.

Mac76
14-07-2018, 10:02 PM

But they beat Panama and Tunisia and a Hames-less Colombia. Things are looking up.

But they also beat Sweden, so, err, ah, yeah, umm..... :unsure:

The Emirates Gallactico
15-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Not sure what's so funny? Semi Finals is far more than what any English fan could expect pre tournament. And beating teams you're meant to is more than most England teams in the past have done and something other supposed "superior" nations could learn from (Germany, Argentina, Spain, Portugal etc).

Clearly Belgium are a more talented team than England. England are a best a top ten team who've overachieved by finishing fourth with a young squad. You've got to be a right pathetic anti-Englander to disparage that.

Master Splinter
15-07-2018, 02:25 PM
You're that sensitive to a regulation :haha: ?

I'm hardly going in with a two-footer to Southgate and all the players. And nothing I said is revelatory.

It's a GW tradition to LOL at anything and anyone, especially in the immediate aftermath of a loss. Unless you've been hacked by by fake Cripps, this seems a strange and unwarranted reaction for a usually good-humoured poster.

And any nationalism or any type of anti or pro nonsense about anything is the furthest thing from my thought process so I'm probably the wrong person to little bit vent at. Although evidently, England's minor resurgence does seem to have reawakened the actual caring about football thing that many have lost in the modern Premier League era.

The Emirates Gallactico
15-07-2018, 08:09 PM
You're that sensitive to a regulation :haha: ?

I'm hardly going in with a two-footer to Southgate and all the players. And nothing I said is revelatory.

It's a GW tradition to LOL at anything and anyone, especially in the immediate aftermath of a loss. Unless you've been hacked by by fake Cripps, this seems a strange and unwarranted reaction for a usually good-humoured poster.

And any nationalism or any type of anti or pro nonsense about anything is the furthest thing from my thought process so I'm probably the wrong person to little bit vent at. Although evidently, England's minor resurgence does seem to have reawakened the actual caring about football thing that many have lost in the modern Premier League era.

Don't mind the standard GW :haha:, it's more the stuff undermining or belittling England's accomplishments in the world cup that I find tiresome ... though it's more a culmination of stuff I've seen online from non-Brits rather than your specific post that's made me salty. They did incredibly well considering the quality of players they had and so the team & the country can be proud of instead of being miserable because they didn't meet the ridiculous standards expected by online football hipsters.

And yes I know expressing any form of patriotism or nationalism is frowned upon on here and instead it has to be pure unadulterated cynicism, especially towards the usual villains.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
15-07-2018, 08:36 PM
Where's the Boreham wood thread lol...no talk of the game goals...formation etc etc?

Master Splinter
15-07-2018, 08:42 PM
Where's the Boreham wood thread lol...no talk of the game goals...formation etc etc?

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4337

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
15-07-2018, 09:01 PM
Ohhh :d