PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs West Ham United (home).

McNamara That Ghost...
25-08-2018, 03:55 PM
A disgustingly, scrappy, awful, open at the back filthy performance.

We're back and no longer pointless!

SMatthews
25-08-2018, 04:01 PM
All part of the master plan

Master Splinter
25-08-2018, 04:11 PM
I can't really find anything positive to take from that despite the win.

It was poor on every level, in every department.

I suppose Monreal once again showed he's the best finisher in the team and Lacazette made the attack a bit more fluid.

We can repeat once again that certain individuals being starters without fail every week is damaging to the future of the team. But being so unconvincing at home to West Ham no matter the personnel, is not an endorsement of the work done so far.

It does feel like very little has changed. But it's still only fair to have a bigger sample of games to judge the players and coaching staff on.

Power n Glory
25-08-2018, 04:11 PM
That was a shambles of a performance. We didn't control that game at all and were lucky to get all 3 points.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Horrible performance as already said. Thank fuhk for the points.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
25-08-2018, 04:38 PM
I can't really find anything positive to take from that despite the win.

It was poor on every level, in every department.

I suppose Monreal once again showed he's the best finisher in the team and Lacazette made the attack a bit more fluid.

We can repeat once again that certain individuals being starters without fail every week is damaging to the future of the team. But being so unconvincing at home to West Ham no matter the personnel, is not an endorsement of the work done so far.

It does feel like very little has changed. But it's still only fair to have a bigger sample of games to judge the players and coaching staff on.

This pretty much sums things up.

Its like having a younger version of latter AW, without the brilliant French and African signings, nor Graham's grey men to shore things up.

Sarri looks like a steal.

hobson's choice
25-08-2018, 05:38 PM
I don't know what this team does as far defense training. No excuse for this type of defending. Felipe Anderson was made to look World Class our there.

This high line nonsense, Bellerin getting no help. We got lucky Arnotovic and Antonio picked up knocks.. And West Ham are dogshite barring Anderson

Unai Tea
25-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Tweren't very pretty but it was a win.

Defense is still far to open. Hopefully it will get a little better until such a time we can invest properly in good defenders. If we can get a few wins while we improve that's good. Can't see a very good defense happening with this group. I really would prefer to see Lichtsteiner instead of Bellerin.

Xhaka was better today I thought. Not great but not totally outclassed like v Man city and Chelsea. A calm descended when torreira came on - for all his defensive qualities, he's also very good opening things up going forward.

Was Auba would start scoring....that was meant to save us early on while everything settled a bit. If he does his bit we're sitting on two wins our of three.

Also, have come back now in two games after going down. That's good to see. No folding when the chips are down. Just need more solidity at the back.

Chippy
25-08-2018, 10:00 PM
I don't know what this team does as far defense training. No excuse for this type of defending. Felipe Anderson was made to look World Class our there.

This high line nonsense, Bellerin getting no help. We got lucky Arnotovic and Antonio picked up knocks.. And West Ham are dogshite barring Anderson
is Bouldy still in charge of defence? If so, GTFO!

GP
25-08-2018, 10:07 PM
is Bouldy still in charge of defence? If so, GTFO!

He never was.

I am invisible
25-08-2018, 10:24 PM
Just watched the highlights - if we’re going to play with both fullbacks that high all game then Torreira has got to be starting (and probably playing a full 90).

In fact we might as well play 3 CBs and stop even pretending that we’re using Bellerin and Monreal as defenders - would give us the extra man at the back we need to stop us getting outnumbered on counters, an effective shield in front of them who can also easily drop into those fullback areas, and would go some way to addressing our lack of natural wingers (at least temporarily).

Lacazette also has to be starting - something just seems to click when he’s on.

I am invisible
25-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Tweren't very pretty but it was a win.

Defense is still far to open. Hopefully it will get a little better until such a time we can invest properly in good defenders. If we can get a few wins while we improve that's good. Can't see a very good defense happening with this group. I really would prefer to see Lichtsteiner instead of Bellerin.

Xhaka was better today I thought. Not great but not totally outclassed like v Man city and Chelsea. A calm descended when torreira came on - for all his defensive qualities, he's also very good opening things up going forward.

Was Auba would start scoring....that was meant to save us early on while everything settled a bit. If he does his bit we're sitting on two wins our of three.

Also, have come back now in two games after going down. That's good to see. No folding when the chips are down. Just need more solidity at the back.
I really don’t think goals are going to be a problem for us, with or without Auba - we could have had 6 against Chelsea last week, even though they were the better side, and today we’ve grabbed another fairly easy 3 whilst being pretty average. There’s a certain routineness about most of the goals we’ve been scoring that I like - bread-and-butter plays that we look like we’ll be able to churn out ad nauseum before too much longer...

Özim
26-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Terrible performance yesterday, it started with a terrible lineup again, Emery is creating a rod for his own back here, Xhaka picked again despite being awful, no Lacazette, if not for Ozil being out he'd still be playng the same team that he did in two games he lost before.

West Ham deserved better (Arnautovic getting injured was a lucky for Emery as the guy was running the show), they could have scored a hatful and beaten us, not impressed with Emery at all so far, defence is shambolic, he's doesn't change a thing, as someone said it could be like Wenger is in charge, I'm starting to think this guy is a just a yes man without a club what he's doing, why else would you keep picking the same team.

Wolves showed us how it was done by grabbing a draw against City when we lost and should have lost by 5 or 6! As has been mentioned Emery will get time, but not if he doesn't learn anything and keeps picking the losers Wenger kept picking, it's like he doesn't watch the matches.

Don't know what to make of the defence, full backs were good going forward but left a lot to be desired defensively, there's no kind of system and they don't show any signs of playing as a unit. Also wondering why we wasted 20 million on Leno if he's not going to get a game when we could have spent it elsewhere, seems utterly pointless!

It's still very early of course, but the fact that Emery keeps playing the same team is just plain stupid tbh and that's what bugs me the most, the rest will take time, whats clear is that half this team need selling off and replacing because they're just plain not good enough, defenders can't defend and midifelders offer no cover for defence, there's just no excuse for picking Xhaka again frankly.

Also playing a high line with Mustafi and Sokratis will never work, we've got no pace at the back at all, in a way signing Sokratis was a little strange, we needed more pace at the back.

On the plus side, people can't blame Ozil for this shambolic display today, so someone else will need to take the flack, also Mkitiryran seems to get off scott free every week, he's been every bit as bad as Ozil (for 3 games now), yes he scored last week (also missed an absolute sitter) but it didn't change the fact he's been poor, for 3 games now.

Emery does make substitution early at least which is a good thing, just think he needs to change the lineup and change the way the defence works, based on what we have and making us more solid.

I am invisible
26-08-2018, 08:36 AM
I never thought I’d agree with Shearer and co on MOTD, but I think they had it right re: the defence - both fullbacks need to learn when to hold when the other goes forward, otherwise we’re basically playing with 2 defenders all game. Hardly surprising we’re giving away chances so easily.

Torreira also needs to start if we’re going to play with attacking fullbacks, as we need someone switched on and tactically disciplined in front of our minimal defence who can quickly spot (and cover) any gaps. Those two things alone would probably make a huge difference to our defending, and they should be very, very easy fixes.

I am invisible
26-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Terrible performance yesterday, it started with a terrible lineup again, Emery is creating a rod for his own back here, Xhaka picked again despite being awful...

...It's still very early of course, but the fact that Emery keeps playing the same team is just plain stupid tbh and that's what bugs me the most, the rest will take time, whats clear is that half this team need selling off and replacing because they're just plain not good enough, defenders can't defend and midifelders offer no cover for defence, there's just no excuse for picking Xhaka again frankly...
Give it 10 games or so and see how the team is shaping up then. He may simply be giving some of the players enough rope to hang themselves in these early games so he can justify making the changes he wants once he’s settled on his best XI. Or he could still be stress-testing the squad to see what he’s really working with - training sessions and friendlies will only tell you so much, after all.

On the plus side, his in-game management and subs have been pretty sharp so far, and he hasn’t been afraid to hook big names (even at embarrassing moments), which makes me think that he isn’t as blind to what we’re all seeing as you fear. Also starting Guendouzi in every game is a pretty ballsy move, considering he’s a kid who has been here for 5 minutes, and there’s a lot of established names gunning for that same spot...

Mac76
26-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Give it 10 games or so and see how the team is shaping up then. He may simply be giving some of the players enough rope to hang themselves in these early games so he can justify making the changes he wants once he’s settled on his best XI. Or he could still be stress-testing the squad to see what he’s really working with - training sessions and friendlies will only tell you so much, after all.

On the plus side, his in-game management and subs have been pretty sharp so far, and he hasn’t been afraid to hook big names (even at embarrassing moments), which makes me think that he isn’t as blind to what we’re all seeing as you fear. Also starting Guendouzi in every game is a pretty ballsy move, considering he’s a kid who has been here for 5 minutes, and there’s a lot of established names gunning for that same spot...

Agree re Guendouzi, but he really must drop Xhaka and Mustafi as a matter of urgency, there's no case for leaving it any longer and he admitted it wasn't a great performance defensively.

Goonermerree
26-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Just saw the match on MOTD, missed it yesterday. Another team with shooting boots on would have scored a few. We have to sort our defensive play out. Nacho my man showed them the way with our opener. Welbz took his chance well and finished like a, well like a striker. Three points but more improvement needed.
According to news on MOTD Ozil stormed off after being told he wouldn't be playing, denied of course by Emery. It's a good sign if Ozil gets mad at being dropped.

Power n Glory
26-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Just saw the match on MOTD, missed it yesterday. Another team with shooting boots on would have scored a few. We have to sort our defensive play out. Nacho my man showed them the way with our opener. Welbz took his chance well and finished like a, well like a striker. Three points but more improvement needed.
According to news on MOTD Ozil stormed off after being told he wouldn't be playing, denied of course by Emery. It's a good sign if Ozil gets mad at being dropped.

Bad sign if Ozil is back in the team next week.

Goonermerree
26-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Bad sign if Ozil is back in the team next week.

At least it means something to him being dropped - it's a start!

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-08-2018, 01:37 PM
They said on MOTD that Emery/Arsenal said he had a cold. If that is true by the word....it's definitely a lie. How can a footballer miss games so often for a bleeding cold!

Goonermerree
26-08-2018, 01:42 PM
They said on MOTD that Emery/Arsenal said he had a cold. If that is true by the word....it's definitely a lie. How can a footballer miss games so often for a bleeding cold!

I go to work with a cold and have trained with a cold. He is a poor love though, you can't expect him to exert too much energy.

Coney
26-08-2018, 02:15 PM
I go to work with a cold and have trained with a cold. He is a poor love though, you can't expect him to exert too much energy.

I'm sure he can play with a cold but he would be under par. If I was the manager and had a choice of a player under par or a player 100% fit, I would take the fit person for the next game. It is not Özil's choice if he plays, it is Emery's. Even if Özil wanted to play, he could not because he was not selected. You can't blame him for that.

GP
26-08-2018, 02:18 PM

Are you a professional athlete?

Power n Glory
26-08-2018, 03:02 PM
At least it means something to him being dropped - it's a start!

Kinda. That's if Emery actually dropped him. If he's given him the day off because he is sick and allows him to waltz back into the starting line up.... It doesn't set a good precedence. With the amount of sick days Ozil has taken, he should lose his starting place even if true.

If Emery has actually dropped him and the sickie story is BS, I expect a serious change in Ozil's performance the next time selected. Emery will have to follow through with the threat otherwise it will appear empty and look weak. Should have made Ozil sit is ass on the bench.

Power n Glory
26-08-2018, 03:05 PM
Are you a professional athlete?

I've seen Michael Jordan play in a play off game with the flu and still put in a 10/10 performance.

I'm also wondering what happens with F1 drivers if they're feeling under the weather. There is no way they can pull out of a race for the weekend can they?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-08-2018, 03:26 PM
Kinda. That's if Emery actually dropped him. If he's given him the day off because he is sick and allows him to waltz back into the starting line up.... It doesn't set a good precedence. With the amount of sick days Ozil has taken, he should lose his starting place even if true.

If Emery has actually dropped him and the sickie story is BS, I expect a serious change in Ozil's performance the next time selected. Emery will have to follow through with the threat otherwise it will appear empty and look weak. Should have made Ozil sit is ass on the bench.

Suppose that depends on if Emery has dropped him due to lack of effort or for tactical reasons.....

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-08-2018, 03:30 PM
I think the fact Emery said 'I don't know, you have to ask the Dr to know more'.....or something along those lines to the reporter, he's obviously hiding something.

It's not as if the manager of AFC hasn't communicated enough or spoke to the Dr about Ozil who only told him 'he's sick mate, he can't play'.

Power n Glory
26-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Suppose that depends on if Emery has dropped him due to lack of effort or for tactical reasons.....

Does it matter for either reason? To me, it still looks like he's getting speacial treatment if he's refusing the bench.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-08-2018, 04:07 PM
If he's dropped him for tactical reasons then that wouldn't suggest special treatment. If the 'bust up' did happen as a result he may have just made up the 'sick' story to cover. He presumably just wants to keep it all in-house, which I imagine he'd want to do with any player.

Power n Glory
26-08-2018, 04:18 PM
If he's dropped him for tactical reasons then that wouldn't suggest special treatment. If the 'bust up' did happen as a result he may have just made up the 'sick' story to cover. He presumably just wants to keep it all in-house, which I imagine he'd want to do with any player.

How is it not special treatment when Ramsey was dropped against Chelsea for tactical reasons and had to sit his ass on the bench like everyone else? Why can't Ozil?

The sick story makes it more of a spectle.

Goonermerree
26-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Does it matter for either reason? To me, it still looks like he's getting speacial treatment if he's refusing the bench.
I never thought of it like that, maybe he couldn't take the humiliation of being on the bench.

hobson's choice
26-08-2018, 04:31 PM
I posted this on another forum earlier

But im starting to wonder if Lacazette has some kinda hefty bonus in his contract based on minutes played. Cause something just hasn't felt right with his situation since he got here.

Goonermerree
26-08-2018, 04:33 PM
I posted this on another forum earlier

But im starting to wonder if Lacazette has some kinda next bonus in his contract based on minutes played. Cause something just hasn't felt right with his situation since he got here.

Like Ox did?

hobson's choice
26-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Like Ox did?

This is news to me, never heard this before.

Goonermerree
26-08-2018, 04:45 PM
This is news to me, never heard this before.

Pretty sure he had a clause in his contract that Southampton were to get some money if he played for more than 20 mins or something. Due to added time, we were paying more than we wanted to when he came on as a sub so he came on later. Can't remember the exact details.

hobson's choice
26-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Pretty sure he had a clause in his contract that Southampton were to get some money if he played for more than 20 mins or something. Due to added time, we were paying more than we wanted to when he came on as a sub so he came on later. Can't remember the exact details.

Woah

Not shocked tho, this kinda stuff is the norm in the NFL

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-08-2018, 05:08 PM
How is it not special treatment when Ramsey was dropped against Chelsea for tactical reasons and had to sit his ass on the bench like everyone else? Why can't Ozil?

The sick story makes it more of a spectle.

That still doesn't quite follow. 'If' Ozil refused to be benched, that's a different situation to Ramsey who presumably didn't refuse to be benched.

The situation is unprecedented with this manager. He may be giving him special treatment but we don't really know that beyond doubt.

If he has refused to sit on the bench though, then in any case we have a major problem and I'd rather we didn't have him here.

Power n Glory
26-08-2018, 06:24 PM
That still doesn't quite follow. 'If' Ozil refused to be benched, that's a different situation to Ramsey who presumably didn't refuse to be benched.

The situation is unprecedented with this manager. He may be giving him special treatment but we don't really know that beyond doubt.

If he has refused to sit on the bench though, then in any case we have a major problem and I'd rather we didn't have him here.

But that's what I was originally getting out. It doesn't matter whether Ozil was benched for tactical reasons or not, he shouldn't be allowed to pull a sickie to avoid the bench. The manager shouldn't allow it either. Is that not special treatment to the others regardless of the reason the manager dropped him?

Not sure what's true, whether he was dropped or just left out because he was sick but it does put an extra scrutiny on the managers man management and Ozil which isn't great if performances don't change.

dazthegooner
26-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Well they way it's going it looks like it would have been cheaper for us to let him run out his contract unless we were hoping someone would bid for him during the summer.

Marc Overmars
26-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Ozil doesn’t have the bottle to refuse to play or go against the manager in that way. He’s just one of those weak people who fall ill very easily.

GP
26-08-2018, 08:24 PM
He's a Turk so it's probably AIDS.

Power n Glory
26-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Ozil doesn’t have the bottle to refuse to play or go against the manager in that way. He’s just one of those weak people who fall ill very easily.

I dunno. Seems like the type of guy that will storm off after a set back. I heard he was a little spicy when Emery took him off against Chelsea. From what Emery said, Ozil turned up for training, then went home because he was feeling sick but turned up for training the next day.

Whatever the case, all eyes will be on this situation for the next game.

I am invisible
27-08-2018, 08:01 AM
I dunno. Seems like the type of guy that will storm off after a set back. I heard he was a little spicy when Emery took him off against Chelsea. From what Emery said, Ozil turned up for training, then went home because he was feeling sick but turned up for training the next day.

Whatever the case, all eyes will be on this situation for the next game.
I expect pride is playing a huge part in this - probably the last thing his ego needed after his massive, public falling-out with his country is the embarrassment of being subbed at half time and dropped, etc. Massive amount of face-saving going on right now...

Özim
27-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Why are we talking about Ozil again, the guy didn't even play, might be better to focus on those who did and didn't perform, like the defence and midfield in particular. We don't know wht happened with Ozil, all we know is that Emery said he was sick, I'm pretty sure he'll be back next game though, we definitely need him judging from our last performance.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-08-2018, 11:20 AM
I thought we missed Ozil in this game more than we apparently missed Xhaka in the second half of the Chelsea game.

Power n Glory
27-08-2018, 01:28 PM
I thought we missed Ozil in this game more than we apparently missed Xhaka in the second half of the Chelsea game.

Not sure about that. Ozil wouldn't have helped us control the midfield and recycle the ball. We'd have been even more vulnerable than we were on counter attacks as well. We'd have needed Torreira and Guendouzi with Ozil. Can't play Ozil, Ramsey and Xhaka together.

Power n Glory
27-08-2018, 01:38 PM
I expect pride is playing a huge part in this - probably the last thing his ego needed after his massive, public falling-out with his country is the embarrassment of being subbed at half time and dropped, etc. Massive amount of face-saving going on right now...

It's all very odd. Read some of the post game comments from Emery. Apparently, players that are sick are supposed to kept away from the team dressing room to avoid infecting other players. Ozil was there in the team dressing room. Maybe they just should have said he was injured with a minor issue if they wanted to cover. The sicknote thing doesn't help him.

I am invisible
27-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Depends which Özil we’re talking about: the one who, every now and then, is absolutely sublime; or the one who had just 29 touches and created 0 chances against Chelsea? If we can guarantee that we get the former most of the time, then yes, we absolutely need him, but how do we do that? How do we coax it out of him on a regular basis? What tact do we take? Flatter his ego? Sting his pride? Get him angry enough to want to prove a point? I’m really not sure how we go about this when he basically has tenure, and can just fold is arms and carry on trousering 1.5m a month regardless?

Mac76
27-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Depends which Özil we’re talking about: the one who, every now and then, is absolutely sublime; or the one who had just 29 touches and created 0 chances against Chelsea?

Let's put it this way - Chelsea was the match before last, whereas i can't actually remember the last time he was that great, i guess a while before he was 'ill' last season...?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Not sure about that. Ozil wouldn't have helped us control the midfield and recycle the ball. We'd have been even more vulnerable than we were on counter attacks as well. We'd have needed Torreira and Guendouzi with Ozil. Can't play Ozil, Ramsey and Xhaka together.

Not a half arsed underperforming Ozil obviously.

I am invisible
27-08-2018, 03:15 PM
It's all very odd. Read some of the post game comments from Emery. Apparently, players that are sick are supposed to kept away from the team dressing room to avoid infecting other players. Ozil was there in the team dressing room. Maybe they just should have said he was injured with a minor issue if they wanted to cover. The sicknote thing doesn't help him.
I don’t know, it all sounds like fairly bog-standard club PR stuff to me. Whatever’s gone on there in private, Emery and the club still have to be seen to be protecting their players in public (and probably doubly so with Özil right now, with the character assassination that’s going on back in Germany). Emery’s comments may have been a little awkward, but I don’t think we need to look any further that his beginner’s English for the cause of that - I suspect he was making a genuine, if slightly crappy, attempt to shield Özil there, even if he’s privately unhappy with him.

(How much better is Emery’s English, by the way? Noticeably better already from that first interview.)

Power n Glory
27-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Not a half arsed underperforming Ozil obviously.

You say obviously but when was the last time Ozil had a sublime man of match performance in the league? Maybe back before he signed a new contract which was last year and almost 9 months ago?

I don't how you can say he's been missed at all looking at his current form. He's been in a slump for a long time.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-08-2018, 03:37 PM
We're not going to miss anybody playing out of form.....but I'm not arguing that we've seen anything amazing recently. We missed an Ozil on form applying himself as we have done for some time now (as you almost seem to be suggesting).

We have an asset that we need to play and need find form and that is easier to do against West Ham than it is against City. Even if I never wanted him to play for Arsenal again, he's obviously a part of the plans here and will play again, just as Mustafi and Xhaka are.

I am invisible
27-08-2018, 04:13 PM
You’re just answering different questions, that’s all - one of you is talking about whether we actually miss him, and the other is talking about whether we need him to perform and deliver.

Power n Glory
27-08-2018, 04:24 PM
We're not going to miss anybody playing out of form.....but I'm not arguing that we've seen anything amazing recently. We missed an Ozil on form applying himself as we have done for some time now (as you almost seem to be suggesting).

We have an asset that we need to play and need find form and that is easier to do against West Ham than it is against City. Even if I never wanted him to play for Arsenal again, he's obviously a part of the plans here and will play again, just as Mustafi and Xhaka are.

But we're obviously talking about current form players and what we needed for the West Ham over the weekend.

It's Arsenal FC. This isn't a vehicle to help Ozil find form. He should be there to help us win games. We won yesterday. It's up to Ozil to find form for himself to get game time if indeed he has fallen out with Emery. We should not be trying to accommodate any player that can't motivate himself. Especially someone that has all the incentive to prove a point to the world considering the scrutiny he's been under since the World Cup.

Have to stop babying this guy. Same goes for all the players. We don't want to recreate a Wenger era problem. We want a meritocracy.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-08-2018, 10:54 PM
I expected to see Ozil's form improve (based on the opposition and his fundamental quality) before his absence and from what I saw against West Ham my feeling is that we could have done with him.

Part of the way he will find form is by playing. However IF...(and I don't know for sure either way) he refused to be on the bench, then that's beyond the pale and I'm sorry we haven't already sold him.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
28-08-2018, 07:20 AM
On Ozil.....having listened to the Arsecast, I'm more and more thinking that it's mental health issues at hand.

Power n Glory
28-08-2018, 08:28 AM
With what evidence? A few missed games and poor performances? The lengths....

Özim
28-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Also Leno should definitely start the next game, Cech was poor today, at fault for one of the goals for sure today.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
28-08-2018, 01:01 PM
With what evidence? A few missed games and poor performances? The lengths....

Actually none. I just get the feeling with parts of his personality traits, how affronted he often feels, his agent constantly issuing statements defending him (perhaps as much to aid Ozil's state of mind as anything else)
and the constant 'he's sick' line with little detail from Wenger and now Emery. I've spent time with a fair number of people with mental health issues and I might be totally wrong, but if it came out, I wouldn't be fraught with surprise.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
28-08-2018, 01:04 PM
You mean the only goal they scored. I'd be interested to know what goalkeepers think about Cech's first. I don't think he should have saved it, but I think it is one of those shots that looks like it should to most people. I didn't think he should have saved it at the time and I still don't having seen it a dozen times.

Marc Overmars
28-08-2018, 01:16 PM
He looked a bit rooted to me and lets face it, it's not the first time he's been beaten down at that near post from a shot that you wouldn't say was particularly hit with serious venom.

Though in fairness there are worse examples of Cech's near-post failure's than the one Arnautovic put past him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt this time but I would like to see Leno.

Letters
28-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Also Leno should definitely start the next game, Cech was poor today, at fault for one of the goals for sure today.

No he wasn't, and he made a few good saves.
Although I do agree Leno should be starting, Cech's best days are clearly behind him.

Power n Glory
28-08-2018, 01:56 PM
You mean the only goal they scored. I'd be interested to know what goalkeepers think about Cech's first. I don't think he should have saved it, but I think it is one of those shots that looks like it should to most people. I didn't think he should have saved it at the time and I still don't having seen it a dozen times.

They would have scored more if not for Cech.

Özim
28-08-2018, 07:56 PM
West Ham didn't score more due mainly to poor finishing, not so much Cech, a keepers job is to keep goals out though, for the goal they scored several people thought he should have done better.

As someone else said he's the past, give Leno a shot, he might be the future, makes no sense to keep playing him.

Power n Glory
28-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Hopefully he plays Leno soon just to shut you up and if he does fuck up and isn't ready, you'll prove my point and start moaning about the signing.

Özim
28-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Hopefully he plays Leno soon just to shut you up and if he does fuck up and isn't ready, you'll prove my point and start moaning about the signing.

Probably be lacking sharpness from not playing cos that's what happens to keepers when they don't play!

Power n Glory
28-08-2018, 10:28 PM
But if he's not an instant success you're going to moan about it anyway, right? Right!

Özim
29-08-2018, 07:34 AM
But if he's not an instant success you're going to moan about it anyway, right? Right!

Well it won't be great if he makes a mistake which leads to a goal that's for sure, but like I said there's a reason teams don't really rotate keepers, if they do keepers tend to make more mistakes as it takes time for them to play themselves into form and you have to legislate for them and give them a bit of leeway. You play your number 1 and then hope that if he does get injured the understudy can perform (generally with keepers they don't get injured a lot so you don't plan to rely on them much).

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-08-2018, 12:34 PM
They started off on an even keel before the first game was played and preseason was underway. Emery decided he wanted Cech to start and the reports are that Leno has not impressed in training. No Jerry/Gerry Peyton to blame anymore. Other than almost scoring the best own goal in the history of time (which subsequently did not cost us), Cech hasn't made too many glaring errors. Not sure what else we can expect Emery to do other than play whoever appears best to him.

Speaking of performing in training....the guys on Le Grove seem to be suggesting that being great in training is Xhaka's big party trick which might explain why manager's like playing him but fans are much more divided.....

selassie
29-08-2018, 01:07 PM
No he wasn't, and he made a few good saves.
Although I do agree Leno should be starting, Cech's best days are clearly behind him.

I actually think Cech has been one of our best players this season so far. He's been pretty good TBH.

I don't understand the clamour for Leno starting? If Emery doesn't think he's good enough to start over Cech that should be a major red flag in itself.

I am invisible
29-08-2018, 07:50 PM
I actually think Cech has been one of our best players this season so far. He's been pretty good TBH.

I don't understand the clamour for Leno starting? If Emery doesn't think he's good enough to start over Cech that should be a major red flag in itself.
He’s come out fighting for his place, at least, and shown that he’s a pro - not seen a whole lot from Emery’s other “5 captains” so far (although I’ll be generous and let Koscielny off).

I don’t think Emery has any problems with Leno - after reading his comments, it seems to be simple case of Cech having done nothing to lose his place yet. He’s last year’s no.1, had a good preseason and has played well so far. Plus the current porous nature of our defence might be making him think it’s not the best time to chuck a new keeper into a new league?

Power n Glory
29-08-2018, 08:06 PM
2/3 years ago, Leno would have been mentioned as one of the top keepers in football. He came off a bad season in Germany, that may have damaged his confidence and his stock dropped a bit. He's moved to a new club and may just need a few months or so to recalibrate and get his confidence back.

Seeing how crazy the keeper market just went and the fact that we have an ageing keeper on our hands, maybe Leno isn't meant for right now but for when we eventually need to replace Cech. Similar to what Juve did to replace Buffon?