PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction: Cardiff 2-3 Arsenal

Master Splinter
02-09-2018, 02:33 PM
A bit shit again.

No cohesion, game plan, chemistry, basic technical ability. Just some stuff happening off the cuff.

No point pointing out the blindingly obvious about individuals because they'll be starting the next match anyway.

Lacazette the only positive thing really.

Cardiff as disgusting and cheaty as expected, with Taylor giving them free reign and an assist.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Torreira. :bow:

Look forward to him starting in the Europa League.

We've won away, maybe we can stop seeing so much chaos.

Marc Overmars
02-09-2018, 02:35 PM
I think so far it's going as we suspected it would.

A lot of potential with our forwards but defensively we're just plain shite. Can't see us doing much this season if Emery doesn't get a grip of this quickly.

How much longer can Xhaka and Ozil keep stinking the place out before they're hooked?

Mac76
02-09-2018, 02:37 PM
5 lessons Emery must surely now learn after four games:

1. start with Laca and Auba

2. give Leno a chance

3 start with Torreira

4. tell Xhaka and Ozil to take the day off - actually the rest of the season...

5. start with Mustafi on the bench, but only as an emergency number 9 in case we need a late headed winner

SMatthews
02-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Great stuff again from Unai and the boys. The revolution rolls on.

Master Splinter
02-09-2018, 02:41 PM
How much longer can Xhaka and Ozil keep stinking the place out before they're hooked?

Several years going by their Arsenal careers so far.

Being sidelined by Neymar and his entourage at PSG is one thing, but not being able to impose any authority over Xhaka and Ozil is beyond weak. WUMger reincarnated.

Gooner23
Early days but no real progress or improvement seen yet, if anything we've been worse the last couple of games. Lots of work to do.

Xhaka's juggling act with the ball at the end summed up his game :haha:

The less said about the defence the better.

Torreira and Laca should be the first two names on the team sheet right now.

Globalgunner
I was watching the F1. Did we win?

Honestly its as if last season never ended

dostoy
02-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Arsenal have won 2 games this season, one against the worst team in the league and the other against the 2nd worst team in the league.

They are shocking defensively and surely changes have to be made.

I would start Leno in the next game and keep Xhaka on the bench with Torreira starting.

I would also consider starting Holding instead of Mustafi and including Welbeck and leaving out Ozil, if that's possible.

What about Lichtsteiner instead of Bellend as well ?

I don't blame the manager as he was left a load of shit from the previous idiot.

Arsenal must stop conceding so many goals.

Globalgunner
02-09-2018, 02:56 PM
No way we beat any of the top 5 home OR away playing like this with the players we have. Cech playing like a robot, devoid of any thinking. Insisting on playing the ball even with 2 opposing players bearing down on him. Stupid!

21_GOONER_SALUTE
02-09-2018, 02:56 PM
We won but again Emery fails to impress.

Defensively we are worse than we have ever been and thats directy due to Emery's tactics and also insisting on starting Xhaka and playing him in front of a fragile defence so he can continue to give wonderful opportunities to the opposition and cause maximum damage.

Atacking wise, he finally did what we've all been calling for and played the 2 strikers together which saved us in this game. They are the only beneficiaries of this new regime and seem to be happier and more positive.

As far as I'm concerned, there will only be true improvement in Arsenal when we can defend, everything elses just papers over the cracks and means we will be found out when it counts.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
02-09-2018, 03:02 PM
No way we beat any of the top 5 home OR away playing like this with the players we have. Cech playing like a robot, devoid of any thinking. Insisting on playing the ball even with 2 opposing players bearing down on him. Stupid!

He's just doing what the manager ordered and thus my comment above.

Like I've said a few times now, this manager doesn't seem prepared for English football.

BTW does anyone know what his record was against English teams ??

21_GOONER_SALUTE
02-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Arsenal have won 2 games this season, one against the worst team in the league and the other against the 2nd worst team in the league.

They are shocking defensively and surely changes have to be made.

I would start Leno in the next game and keep Xhaka on the bench with Torreira starting.

I would also consider starting Holding instead of Mustafi and including Welbeck and leaving out Ozil, if that's possible.

What about Lichtsteiner instead of Bellend as well ?

I don't blame the manager as he was left a load of shit from the previous idiot.

Arsenal must stop conceding so many goals.

I blame the manager because this is a car crash waiting to happen. Week after week our defence looks worse and worse and he continues with the same personel? What was he doing this whole summer?

Lichsteiner starting as either RB or LB would definitely help and some sort of rivalry among our CBs would too. Making the defensive team take ownership and not passing to Cech would also help. As for Xhaka vs Torierra only a masochist would continue doing what Emery is doing.

It's getting boring repeating the same observations.

Power n Glory
02-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Several years going by their Arsenal careers so far.

Being sidelined by Neymar and his entourage at PSG is one thing, but not being able to impose any authority over Xhaka and Ozil is beyond weak. WUMger reincarnated.

That's the worry. Both of them should be benched for the next game. As said last week, it was suspect that Ozil was allowed to claim a sick day and Unai cover for him. He should never have been allowed to walk back into the first team unless there was a dramatic improvement in his performance. That wasn't the case. It looks weak from Emery and Ozil along with Xhaka should be dropped. Iwobi didn't even make the bench ffs.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Wow....Xhaka getting roasted and this was one of his better games of the season.

If Laca doesn't start the next game, It will be trolling as good as anything seen by Wenger.

Power n Glory
02-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Wow....Xhaka getting roasted and this was one of his better games of the season.

If Laca doesn't start the next game, It will be trolling as good as anything seen by Wenger.

This was one of his better games but that mistake that lead to the goal and the defending just make him too much of a risk. Torreira and Guendouzi should be playing together with Ramsey further forward.

Master Splinter
02-09-2018, 05:05 PM
I don't think he'll get it, but I'd like Iwobi to be given a chance in the middle ahead of Ramsey/Ozil. He always plays better centrally and it would suit his qualities, while adding speed, more energy and a natural dribbler through the middle. He can also drift left and right comfortably.

I feel Iwobi might be another whose talent is misused and goes to waste at Arsenal.

Power n Glory
02-09-2018, 05:32 PM

Lacazette was fantastic today. Definitely has to start. Unlucky not to score two but that winning goal was a heck of a finish. Boom!

Power n Glory
02-09-2018, 05:36 PM
I don't think he'll get it, but I'd like Iwobi to be given a chance in the middle ahead of Ramsey/Ozil. He always plays better centrally and it would suit his qualities, while adding speed, more energy and a natural dribbler through the middle. He can also drift left and right comfortably.

I feel Iwobi might be another whose talent is misused and goes to waste at Arsenal.

Agree on Iwobi. I thought Ramsey had a better game today but still lacks polish in his touch and dribbling which can often lead to a move breaking down in the final third. So far, not a fan of the way senior players are getting priority in games.same shit Wenger would pull.

Penguin
02-09-2018, 05:51 PM
There's far too much wrong with us at the moment. I know there's a learning curve but the high press and the defending just isn't improving. It's so frustrating watching us, at the moment it's as bad as it was with Wenger here. It's unfair to only blame the players, Emery was brought in as a head coach and until I see improvements in the tactics and selections I'll point the finger at him first. We don't have a great squad but they are capable of a lot more than what we're seeing now and it's up to Emery to get the performances out of them.

If he's so adamant with playing out from the back why is he making Cech do it? I'll repeat what I've been saying about Cech - either stop trying to make him pass it out or drop him. It's too late to teach him a new play style. He's a disaster waiting to happen. We also signed Sokratis who doesn't look comfortable on the ball either.

The good thing is that he is trying to change it up, he finally started Auba and Laca together and it paid off. Not surprised that Lacazette was involved in both second half goals, we look better he's on the pitch. He also battles more and fights off defenders more than he used to which is good to see. He deserves to be in the starting XI.

Master Splinter
02-09-2018, 05:55 PM
I thought Ramsey had a better game today but still lacks polish in his touch and dribbling

This is probably the most annoying thing about Arsenal in recent years. It's also true of most football as a whole, but of course we see nearly every Arsenal game so the inadequacies are amplified.

When players like Ramsey and Ozil are messing up the basics of touch and technique and simple 5-10 yard passes, it's incredibly frustrating. We know what they're capable of and technique is supposedly the last thing you lose. It has to be a matter of application or focus. If the senior players are not up to it, then it obviously affects the whole team. It's up to the coaching staff to get them properly motivated or give a chance to players who have not let malaise fully set in and can be moulded to play with some care and attention.

Power n Glory
03-09-2018, 09:16 AM
It's on the manager to grow a pair and drop underwhelming players. He hasn't seen or tried out that many players from the squad in different positions to see what works and that's disappointing. Seniority seems to be getting the priority. Ozil shouldn't be allowed to waltz back into the first team. Mkhitaryan has a goal and assist. Iwobi has a goal and assist. Heck, even Welbeck has a goal. Players finding form should be rewarded with game time.

Good to see Lacazette finally get a game but he should have been given games from the start of the season because he's been sharp from Pre season and showed a great connection with Auba from the get go. It shouldn't have taken this long to give him a start.

I've been in support of Cech but Leno needs to start now. Cech still has a long way to go with his footwork and kicking and they should work with him on that in training and not in experiment with on the job training. Teams are now targeting to him.

Xhaka should have been dropped for Torreira ages ago. Disappointing to see Guendouzi hooked instead of Xhaka. Torreira has to start the next game off the back of that performance.

Lichsteiner should also get some game time over Bellerin.

We'd cut out a lot more mistakes and speed up the development process if Unai drops poor performers and rewards those that play well. Early stages in his Arsenal career and he can get away with tinkering with team selection without anyone holding too much of a grudge when dropped if it at least looks like he's trying to assess everyone in the squad and experimenting a little.

Letters
03-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Cech is increasingly looking like a liability. A better team would have punished us yesterday when he started dribbling past players (just about got away with that one), or passed straight to one of their players - a better finisher would have scored - or went walkabout in injury time and Cardiff players were queuing up to score - thankfully a poor header so he got away with that one too.

Marc Overmars
03-09-2018, 09:52 AM
You can’t teach an old dog new tricks, Cech’s strengths have never been as a sweeper keeper and Emery is wasting his time if he thinks he can suddenly be transformed.

Goonermerree
03-09-2018, 10:18 AM
I only saw the highlights on MOTD which aren't always an accurate reflection on the match. Three points is three points, but we have two losses against two of the best in the league and two wins against the two worst teams in the league, We seemed to struggle in both these matches, so all I can say is, there are tougher tests to come. Can't judge Emery yet, it's too soon, but matches against Watford, Everton and the likes will give us more of an indication as to where we are.

Oh and Tottnum lost woohoo!:d

AFC Leveller
03-09-2018, 11:24 AM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40628660_2213883285515665_7672385683285082112_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&oh=1283d0b583b4f7b1dee8bb6783b29048&oe=5C395178

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Was that the best Laca has played in an Arsenal shirt? He really was superb. His finish reminded me of Batistuta's against us. Auba can do a job wide but it won't work in every game. Just play the two of them up front with Ozil behind, width from the full backs and choose a formation that can accommodate that.

Ramsey should play at number 8 or be dropped, but I would persist with Bellerin as I feel he is finding his way again in attack and hopefully can begin to progress defensively with time.

Power n Glory
03-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Was that the best Laca has played in an Arsenal shirt? He really was superb. His finish reminded me of Batistuta's against us. Auba can do a job wide but it won't work in every game. Just play the two of them up front with Ozil behind, width from the full backs and choose a formation that can accommodate that.

Ramsey should play at number 8 or be dropped, but I would persist with Bellerin as I feel he is finding his way again in attack and hopefully can begin to progress defensively with time.

Definitely his best performance. A real energetic and dominant performance. Strong on the ball, involved with a lot of link up and could have came away with two goals and two assists from what I recall. That goal was a classic number 9 goal. Very reminiscent of Batistuta.

I think Aubameyang can work on the wing but whoever plays that number 10 role has to have be busy and tidy to help link the play further. Ramsey is often too sloppy and Ozil isn't busy enough. Why is it that Ozil always seems to play a ball that requires our strikers to come short for the ball instead of playing it into space? But that's a side note. Emery really should try to a formation with the both up front but I doubt he will.

Bellerin is definitely getting better on attack and plays a key part in the overlaps and wing play. But he needs to be punished for the lax defending and shown that we have a high standard.

Marc Overmars
03-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Bloody hell I remember that goal at Wembley now. No nonsense, pure power and accuracy.

I was worried Lacazette wouldn't be able to settle into this team but he's deceptively good with his back to goal. He needs to be starting regularly with Auba, I don't see any justification for leaving him out.

I am invisible
03-09-2018, 05:20 PM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40628660_2213883285515665_7672385683285082112_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&oh=1283d0b583b4f7b1dee8bb6783b29048&oe=5C395178
It boggles the mind why he’s not starting - so many of our problems just evaporate (or at least dilute right down) as soon as he steps on the pitch.

Maybe Emery just wants the defenders to practice in the hardest conditions possible? Yeah, that must be it...

Globalgunner
03-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Bloody hell I remember that goal at Wembley now. No nonsense, pure power and accuracy.

I was worried Lacazette wouldn't be able to settle into this team but he's deceptively good with his back to goal. He needs to be starting regularly with Auba, I don't see any justification for leaving him out.

Nobody who saw that goal could ever forget it. Seaman no doubt has nightmares about it. The thing flew in at the speed of sound.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Apparently Torreira had 100% completed passing won 3 a out of 3 tackles and assisted the goal. What more does he need to do to start the next game?

Cruyff turn, rainbow flick the ball over a 6 footer's head then bicycle kick it into the top corner?

Mac76
03-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Apparently Torreira had 100% completed passing won 3 a out of 3 tackles and assisted the goal. What more does he need to do to start the next game?

Cruyff turn, rainbow flick the ball over a 6 footer's head then bicycle kick it into the top corner?

I've been assuming Xhaka does that every week in training, it's the only explanation as to why he gets picked, either that or he has photos of Emery with Ivan's missus...

IBK
04-09-2018, 09:43 AM
I've been assuming Xhaka does that every week in training, it's the only explanation as to why he gets picked, either that or he has photos of Emery with Ivan's missus...

Yeah some say that Xhaka is the business in training. Maybe a mental thing during matches?

Marc Overmars
04-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Easy to look good in training when you’re not being pressed by competitive opponents.

Power n Glory
04-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Emery should be watching analysing the game footage. He has to notice Xhaka can't play on the half turn, is very slow with poor positioning, lacks defensive awareness and tends to stop showing for the ball trying to play from deep. 2nd half of the game, Torreira was taken the ball from deep and Ozil was having to drop back to make things happen. That was the positive I saw from Ozil's game. Demanding the ball more.

But with all the flaws mentioned on Xhaka, why is Unai still persisting with him? That's a lot of flaws that we have to iron out of his game. It was his speciality in passing that caused us to concede. Torreira and Guendouzi are good passers of the ball and can easily pull that pass off. I don't know what's so special about Xhaka that he has to play.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Easy to look good in training when you’re not being pressed by competitive opponents.

Very true. As a good friend of mine once said..... any old mug can play football when given time and space. Which almost perfectly sums up why I can never warm to Xhaka.

Le Grove guys are always claiming Xhaka is reportedly the business in training.

Özim
04-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Not much left to say really, either stating the obvious or repeating the same stuff.

Lacazette starting (as many of us have suggested) worked out well, Lacazette looked really sharp and scored and assisted.

Xhaka should be out on his ear, one of the worst midfielders we've ever had, the reason Cardiff equalised and does nothing good (how long will it take Emery to twig?)

CB partnership of Mustafi and Sokratis doesn't work, too slow and Mustafi can't defend (don't hold much hope for the defence to be honest, it's still just as bad as it was)

Leno should be playing as Cech can't pass the ball out.

The positives were the result and the fact that hopefully Lacazette can start more games now.

Mac76
04-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Yeah some say that Xhaka is the business in training. Maybe a mental thing during matches?

I was only joking i genuinely don't know why he's still being picked, but there's just no excuse after the weekend, he has to go

McNamara That Ghost...
04-09-2018, 08:03 PM
The guy never gets injured either so he never really has any time to think about what the fuck he's actually doing. Or not doing.

AFC Leveller
07-09-2018, 07:24 PM
However, Bellerin is confident that Arsenal will soon benefit from Emery's detailed approach.
He said: 'I am impressed with Emery. We lost our first two games but we were very close both times. After the match, the players could feel that things were coming together. With Arsene, he wanted us to play in the same way regardless of the opponents. The idea was that we could play in our way and beat anyone.
'But Emery is very focused on preparing a plan for our next opponents, whoever they may be. It is very detailed and very professional. The next few months are going to be very exciting for all of us. We will reach a higher level.'

I am invisible
08-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Can’t agree that we were close against City.

Chelsea was a weird one - they were the better side for most of the game, but we could have had about 6 in the spell that we were on top, so I’m not sure what to say about that one?

The important thing there is it sounds like the players are fully behind the coach, and that they’re enjoying the more detailed approach and the more challenging demands - in the long run, that will stand us in better stead than a couple of good results at the start of Emery’s reign (which wouldn’t have really told us much after a WC summer)

Letters
08-09-2018, 11:11 AM
However, Bellerin is confident that Arsenal will soon benefit from Emery's detailed approach.
He said: 'I am impressed with Emery. We lost our first two games but we were very close both times. After the match, the players could feel that things were coming together. With Arsene, he wanted us to play in the same way regardless of the opponents. The idea was that we could play in our way and beat anyone.
'But Emery is very focused on preparing a plan for our next opponents, whoever they may be. It is very detailed and very professional. The next few months are going to be very exciting for all of us. We will reach a higher level.'

There hasn’t been much evidence of that so far but it’s early days so I’ll reserve judgment for now.
It does sound like he is a manager more in tune with the modern game than Wenger was.
Playing the same way every game worked when we had better, fitter players than everyone else but when other teams caught up it wasn’t enough.