PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 Trophy Run-in.

Pages : [1] 2

McNamara That Ghost...
19-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Arsenal 63 points +26GD
Wolves (a) Requires rescheduling
Everton (a)
Watford (a)
Crystal Palace (h)
Leicester (a)
Brighton (h)
Burnley (a)

Tottenham 61 points +24GD

Crystal Palace (h)
Brighton (h)
Huddersfield (h)
Man City (a)
West Ham (h)
Bournemouth (a)
Everton (h)

Man Utd 61 points +18GD
West Ham (h)
Everton (a)
Man City (h)
Chelsea (h)
Huddersfield (a)
Cardiff (h)

Chelsea 60 points +18GD
Brighton (a)
West Ham (h)
Liverpool (a)
Burnley (h)
Man Utd (a)
Watford (h)
Leicester (a)

--------------
Perhaps with Son and Kane out for a while there could be a case for including Tottenham but that remains to be seen on whether they'd fall back. I'm doubtful they would.

GP
19-01-2019, 09:27 PM
It's on!

SMatthews
19-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Still think we’ll fall short. Especially if we have to rely on AMN at RB. Just when it seemed we could get together a settled defence again too. But we continue to go in the right direction which is the most important thing.

5 more points than this time last season, 7 more goals scored and 2 more conceded. This time last year fourth place had 47 points too.

Letters
19-01-2019, 10:15 PM
In theory we have the easier run in. Despite today's result and performance I don't think we're good enough but we have a chance - had we not won today we'd have not had one but we've put ourselves back in it.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
19-01-2019, 10:24 PM
In theory we have the easier run in. Despite today's result and performance I don't think we're good enough but we have a chance - had we not won today we'd have not had one but we've put ourselves back in it.

Yup, pretty much agree.

Bellerin's injury will be a big blow especially if he sticks with AMN on the right. Also we'd need Mustafi not to get back into the team and Monreal to get his place back.

Its really all about our defence.

Marc Overmars
20-01-2019, 01:58 AM
We’ve given ourselves a shot but our squad isn’t very deep and we are flawed defensively despite the great effort today which I suspect will prove to be an anomaly.

United have to be seen as the favourites because their squad is the strongest and they’re all playing without a dark cloud hanging over them now.

Chelsea’s lack of firepower might cost them but they’re still relatively strong in other key areas.

Should be an interesting chase whatever happens.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-01-2019, 06:01 AM
We have a chance but I don't think we will....but at least we're making a fight of it now.

Just too many fatally flawed, awkward, ill disciplined or error prone parts to this squad to have any real faith we will.

Mac76
20-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Chelsea's looks the hardest - man city, liverpool and moan u away, pus * tottenshite

I actually think it 's beteeen us and moan u but would tip them to do it, especially with our having lost bellerin

* actually a typo but I left it because it looks right :lol:

Gooner23
20-01-2019, 10:48 AM
None of our RB options fill me with any confidence. Of the 3 I'd actually prefer to see Jenkinson but he's the least likely to play. Chances of a loan signing?

Mac76
20-01-2019, 11:07 AM
None of our RB options fill me with any confidence. Of the 3 I'd actually prefer to see Jenkinson but he's the least likely to play. Chances of a loan signing?

We have to hope they'll try to get someone

I agree with playing jenkinson though tbf i thought AMN was good yesterday, albeit he was basically just defending a 2-0 lead

21_GOONER_SALUTE
20-01-2019, 11:09 AM

I also think Jenkinson should get the nod but like you said none of them fill me with confidence.

I have an eerie feeling he might throw Xhaka there though.

Globalgunner
20-01-2019, 11:14 AM
That young RB at Palace Wan-Bissaka is a must get. I know , he is English and would probably cost 40m. In a few years though he will likely cost double that.

Also......No Mustafi, no stress. Long may it continue

Chippy
20-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Chelsea 47 points
Bournemouth (a)
Huddersfield (h)
Man City (a)
Brighton (h)
Tottenham (h)
Fulham (a)
Wolves (h)
Everton (a)
Cardiff (a)
West Ham (h)
Liverpool (a)
Burnley (h)
Man Utd (a)
Watford (h)
Leicester (a)

Arsenal 44 points
Cardiff (h)
Man City (a)
Huddersfield (a)
Southampton (h)
Bournemouth (h)
Tottenham (a)
Man Utd (h)
Wolves (a)
Newcastle (h)
Everton (a)
Watford (a)
Crystal Palace (h)
Leicester (a)
Brighton (h)
Burnley (a)

Man Utd 44 points
Burnley (h)
Leicester (a)
Fulham (a)
Liverpool (h)
Crystal Palace (a)
Southampton (h)
Arsenal (h)
Man City (h)
Watford (h)
Wolves (a)
West Ham (h)
Everton (a)
Chelsea (h)
Huddersfield (a)
Cardiff (h)

--------------
Perhaps with Son and Kane out for a while there could be a case for including Tottenham but that remains to be seen on whether they'd fall back. I'm doubtful they would.

Those ****s were so lucky today 😡 Fucking joke.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-01-2019, 11:20 PM
Wan-Bissaka is solid defensively, but a little basic going forward in my view. I don't think his use of the ball is quite good enough and going forward he often looks completely short of ideas. For some teams that may do, but one of Emery's constants from game to game is that the full backs are absolutely vital to the attack.

McNamara That Ghost...
24-01-2019, 07:33 AM
Merse the Chelsea fan says we'd have been better off losing to Chelsea. :haha:

How this guy continues to be payed by Sky makes me think he is actually a genius playing an idiot.

dazthegooner
24-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Merson has also said that Torreira is an average midfielder who would not be able to get into any other teams in the top 6.

fakeyank
24-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Looks like we wont get the 4th place trophy. Instead we are getting the 3rd place trophy! :scarf:

selassie
25-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Looks like we wont get the 4th place trophy. Instead we are getting the 3rd place trophy! :scarf:

Optimistic!

I think we'll fall short, I think we'll finish 5th. Man U will probably finish 4th given Chelsea's run-in.

Mac76
26-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Optimistic!

I think we'll fall short, I think we'll finish 5th. Man U will probably finish 4th given Chelsea's run-in.

With Chelsea getting Higuain and our defence decimated we might have to settle for 6th after all :(

Marc Overmars
26-01-2019, 12:36 PM
If Emery can get us 4th with this ramshackle team, then he's a miracle worker.

Özim
26-01-2019, 01:07 PM
I don't think we'll get top 4, we don't have the quality, the defence is awful, the midfield is pretty average and persisting with players like Xhaka doesn't help that, I also think Emery is making some poor decisions at the moment.

Man U are flying and are leaps and bounds ahead of us, to think they were miles behind not so long ago and that they've now caught up pretty easily, Chelsea aren't that good but have Hazard and Higuain could give them the goals they are missing, on that basis I just can't see us getting top 4.

I realised our squad was average but didn't realise how average to be honest, on top of that we're losing Ramsey probably one of our best performers for free, significant investment required to be honest, but I'm not sure we'll get it.

Worrying times, we've just got to hope we can pub the Europa League.

SMatthews
26-01-2019, 01:53 PM
AST estimated we will get around £40m to spend this summer. Time to get smart in the market and start using the assets we have. With Bellerin out until later in the year, that would leave Laca as the only sellable option. Other than that, we’re set for the same again next sssosn, no matter who’s in charge. Hopefully the budget estimate is wrong.

Özim
26-01-2019, 03:44 PM
AST estimated we will get around £40m to spend this summer. Time to get smart in the market and start using the assets we have. With Bellerin out until later in the year, that would leave Laca as the only sellable option. Other than that, we’re set for the same again next sssosn, no matter who’s in charge. Hopefully the budget estimate is wrong.

If that's all we get it's embarrassing and this club should be ashamed of itself and how it's run, a shining example of what not do for other clubs. Even the PL paupers spend more than 40 million.

Lacazette is probably the one player in this entire squad I'd most want to keep, he works hard, scores and is a threat, if we have to sell him we may as well give up.

What we really need to do is sell as many of Xhaka, Iwobi, Eleneny, Mustafi, Lichsteiner, Jenkinson, Mikhi, Koscielny, Kolasinac, Ozil as we can, then spend whatever we get on some young players and some quality and promote a few of the decent kids. We're already losing Ramsey and Welbeck so that should free up wages as well.

This whole club needs rebuilding from top to bottom.

SMatthews
26-01-2019, 04:33 PM
If that's all we get it's embarrassing and this club should be ashamed of itself and how it's run, a shining example of what not do for other clubs. Even the PL paupers spend more than 40 million.

Lacazette is probably the one player in this entire squad I'd most want to keep, he works hard, scores and is a threat, if we have to sell him we may as well give up.

What we really need to do is sell as many of Xhaka, Iwobi, Eleneny, Mustafi, Lichsteiner, Jenkinson, Mikhi, Koscielny, Kolasinac, Ozil as we can, then spend whatever we get on some young players and some quality and promote a few of the decent kids. We're already losing Ramsey and Welbeck so that should free up wages as well.

This whole club needs rebuilding from top to bottom.

We’re not selling ten players in one window. That’s unrealistic. So our options are limited. Selling a key asset to reinvest is the best solution if our budget is small. And the likelihood is, it will be. I’d rather take a risk as Liverpool did with Coutinho, than just hang onto our best players with an average squad to support them. Young players aren’t going to bridge the gap between 5/6 top four. Only proven quality will.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Given what's been going on I don't see that that 40millin estimate should be too far of the mark. Good luck getting
Us back in the top 4 with that Unai......if we don't get into the CL.

Özim
26-01-2019, 07:17 PM
We’re not selling ten players in one window. That’s unrealistic. So our options are limited. Selling a key asset to reinvest is the best solution if our budget is small. And the likelihood is, it will be. I’d rather take a risk as Liverpool did with Coutinho, than just hang onto our best players with an average squad to support them. Young players aren’t going to bridge the gap between 5/6 top four. Only proven quality will.

We just sell as many as we can, they're not good enough so the sooner we gert rid the better, then we can use any money we have to rebuild, sticking to the same lot we're going nowhere.

As for Lacazette, it's not comparable to Liverpool, their squad was still good without him, ours is lousy we've barely got more than 3 decent players, on top of that they got loads for Coutinho, we'd be lucky to get 50-60 million for Lacazette, I just don't think that's a good thing, especially when Aubameyang is no spring chicken.

In our situation we're going to need to get a bit lucky now and stumble across some cheapish top quality players (maybe young ones) as we just don't have the assets to do a Liverpool, even are best players are worth half what Countinho went for, moreover Liverpool had a great attack even without Coutinho, they just needed to sort their defence, so they spent all the money on a defender and keeper, our attack minus Lacazette will be rubbish tbh (especially as Ramsey is gone), so not only will we be conceding left right and centre, we won't be scoring enough, we'll probably end up mid table or worse.

Seems to me Liverpool are better talent spotters as well, they seem to find gems all the time, just look at some of the players they have now and players they've sold for huge money in recent times, they seem able to spot quality at relatively low prices, we should have nabbed their scouts!

If we look at the whole setup at Arsenal objectively it's all pretty amateurish, we're way behind in so many areas, on top of that we're now entirely owned by a guy who is not in the least interested and isn't going to invest a penny, somehow we've stumbled across the only American owner who has zero interest in anything to do with football, doesn't invest, come to matches or indeed care, we're just a figure on a bit of paper for him (incidentally he's unpopular in the US as well where at least he does turn up for matches), I'm coming to the realisation that this club is as good as finished at the top level now he owns the club 100% unless someone makes him a massive offer he can't turn down, we're stuck on the wrong side of the fence looking in enviously.

SMatthews
26-01-2019, 09:58 PM
If that’s how you see it, better buckle up for more of the same for the foreseeable future then.

Xhaka Can’t
27-01-2019, 03:27 PM
Unless Kroenke sells up, the level we’re at will stay our level in perpetuity.

Probably to the extent, we’ll regard the days of being CL cannon fodder as the good old days.

SMatthews
27-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Wenger :bow:

Letters
27-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Wenger :bow:

:gp:

dazthegooner
27-01-2019, 06:18 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11860/11619697/ivan-perisic-asks-to-leave-inter-milan-after-arsenal-offer

Özim
27-01-2019, 08:32 PM
Inter want the cash, we don't have it and only want a loan, I wouldn't want us to spend 35-40 million on a 29 year old considering our lack of money, Malcom on loan with an option to buy makes more sense.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Just as well we'll never do that now.

selassie
28-01-2019, 11:03 AM
Given what's been going on I don't see that that 40millin estimate should be too far of the mark. Good luck getting
Us back in the top 4 with that Unai......if we don't get into the CL.

I think we'll stay a Europa league level club for the foreseeable future unless we get lucky with cheaper investments or promoting from within.

Bumble
28-01-2019, 01:22 PM
Inter want the cash, we don't have it and only want a loan, I wouldn't want us to spend 35-40 million on a 29 year old considering our lack of money, Malcom on loan with an option to buy makes more sense.

not seen Malcolm play. I do think perisic is a really good player. Also the fee could be payable across the length of the contract? Or swap him for Ozil. straight swap.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-01-2019, 09:45 PM
We're 4th! :bow:

Chippy
30-01-2019, 11:03 PM
We're 4th! :bow:

Yep. Chelski are shit! The Spuds are fucking lucky and that pissed me right off.

Bumble
31-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Yep. Chelski are shit! The Spuds are fucking lucky and that pissed me right off.

not sure how scoring two goals in last 10 minutes is lucky... we would love it.

Chelsea are awful and the managers comments about not being able to motivate them suggests they aren't interested in the league so wouldn't be surprised if they finished 6th. However, United probably have the best squad and now Mourinho is out of the door the players want to play again. I know they dropped points against Burnley but every team has a bad result. Think United are favourites for top 4 then us. Sarri probably wont be manager next season at Chelsea anyway.

McNamara That Ghost...
10-02-2019, 06:16 PM
We're 5th! :bow:

Improvement. :scarf:

Updated the OP also.

Marc Overmars
10-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Spuds and United at the start of next month. Make or break you feel.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
10-02-2019, 06:25 PM
We're 5th! :bow:

Improvement. :scarf:

Updated the OP also.

It' strange but it seems all 3 teams have 6 difficult games to play.

Besides the traditional top 6 I added games away to Wolves, Leicester, Crystal P and Everton as difficult games.

Edit: Man U has 7

SMatthews
10-02-2019, 06:29 PM
Chelsea have got Spurs, Liverpool and Utd.

Utd have got Liverpool, Chelsea, City and us.

We’ve got Spurs and Utd.

Letters
10-02-2019, 06:29 PM
Utd the favourites now, I’d say.
Chelsea possibly an even bigger mess than us though so definitely a chance of 5th

McNamara That Ghost...
10-02-2019, 07:36 PM

Besides the traditional top 6 I added games away to Wolves, Leicester, Crystal P and Everton as difficult games.

Our Wolves match would be postponed should they win in the FA Cup this weekend.

Though the same is true for the Manchester derby.

AFC Leveller
11-02-2019, 06:12 AM
I’d say Man ure are favourites right now because they have found a way of playing and are winning games convincingly (part from at Leicester where they hung on). They have hit form at the right time and a lot of their players are playing to their potential. However, we play them at our place and anything other than a win would be disastrous, we have to beat them. The away game to Spurs am writing off because we just don’t seem to click away to a big team.

Chelsea have hit rock bottom and unless they get a caretaker in soon, i can’t see them getting top 4.

Letters
11-02-2019, 09:32 AM
5th place trophy :bow:

Progress :bow:

Emery :bow:

Globalgunner
11-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Utd are a shoo-in for 4th. We have to hope that somehow we can find the means within us to take the Europa.

Honestly, how can we beat Utd at home or Spurs away with our diabolical defence. Mustafi, Kos, AMN, Kola, even Monreal are tragically poor. The loss of Holding and Sokratis has been calamitous for us.

Mac76
11-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Utd are a shoo-in for 4th. We have to hope that somehow we can find the means within us to take the Europa.

Honestly, how can we b eat Utd at home or Spurs away with out diabolical defence. Mustafi, Kos, AMN, Kola, even Monreal are tragically poor. The loss of Holding and Sokratis has been calamitous for us.

don't agree about Kos or Monreal, but they do need a good partner beside them. otherwise it's a nightmare for them and they end up making mistakes

Globalgunner
11-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Defences work best as a unit as we all know. Mustafi alone could bring the Berlin wall crumbling down just by sneezing at it. I do believe that a proper defensive coach could drill these chaps into a semblance of reliability but all I see is collective panic with players stumbling all over each other, hacking wildly at balls and colliding with each other FFS. Id be shocked if we got a draw either against Utd or the Spuds. Realistically we need to win both games

Letters
11-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Defences work best as a unit as we all know. Mustafi alone could bring the Berlin wall crumbling down just by sneezing at it. I do believe that a proper defensive coach could drill these chaps into a semblance of reliability but all I see is collective panic with players stumbling all over each other, hacking wildly at balls and colliding with each other FFS. Id be shocked if we got a draw either against Utd or the Spuds. Realistically we need to win both games

I do wonder what the hell they do in training.
Let's leave aside whether they're good enough, you don't have to be a world class defender to know you shouldn't pass the ball to an opposition player 30 yards from goal as we did at least twice on Saturday.
Luckily Huddersfield are awful and didn't punish us but some of the mistakes we make at the back would embarrass a pub team.

SMatthews
11-02-2019, 11:45 AM
You can’t replicate what happens in a live game on the training field. You see it with dead ball situations all the time. The mentality of a player accounts for about 90% of how they’ll play. Everyone has talent at this level but it’s whether they can translate that onto the pitch that makes the difference.

Emery didn’t arrive with a reputation of having a shit defence, so it’s not coincidence that since he’s come to a club with a 15 year record of terrible defending that it’s taking him a while to sort it out. Remember, Liverpool’s defence was just as shit for the first 3 years under Klopp. It took £150 million plus to sort that out.

Bumble
11-02-2019, 01:29 PM
It took £150 million plus to sort that out.

Or 2 players.

Letters
11-02-2019, 01:44 PM
I'm still not convinced that a bit of decent coaching couldn't sort some of this out. Arsenal's famous back 5 weren't, individually, superstars (apart from Seaman)
But as a unit they were solid.
Surely we could improve somewhat without spending a ton of money.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
11-02-2019, 01:47 PM
Utd the favourites now, I’d say.
Chelsea possibly an even bigger mess than us though so definitely a chance of 5th

If we don't get 4th or above....don't really care where we finish....especially as every scenario has us below Spurs failing a miracle.

Letters
11-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Sadly, Spurs are miles above us. I can't see them seriously troubling the top 2 but they're better than everyone else.
It's pretty much impossible for us to finish below 6th so it's 6th or 5th.

Yay :partytime:

fakeyank
11-02-2019, 02:25 PM
I'm still not convinced that a bit of decent coaching couldn't sort some of this out. Arsenal's famous back 5 weren't, individually, superstars (apart from Seaman)

I agree with this partially*... One of our most successful defense in recent history was the backline for our run to the CL final in 06. That defense line was a path up of players like Flamini, Eboue, Toure, Senderos but they were coached by a defensive coach (Keown?) and they kept teams like Juve and Real at bay.

*- This same defense was leaking goals in the league. Praise the lord of goats for lasgnagate that season, or else our last season at highbury would have meant a position outside top 4! :bow:

Letters
11-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Dude, your sig could do with a bit of updating ;)

fakeyank
11-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Dude, your sig could do with a bit of updating ;)

Done.

SMatthews
11-02-2019, 02:43 PM

Adams and Seaman were two of the best players in their positions in the UK. We were also generally a more defensive team. No doubt we can improve our defence, but the players need to have the right mentality for it. That’s probably the main reason Graham’s defence was so good. They generally had less ability, but mentally were more focussed and tougher than anyone else.

SMatthews
11-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Or 2 players.

They also changed their full backs - but both were cheap. That’s 4 out of the back 5 that needed shipping out. It’s what we have to go through too.

Letters
11-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Done.

:haha:

Well played

Marc Overmars
11-02-2019, 04:38 PM
United have the best squad and they are riding the crest of a wave so they are certainly favourites for 4th. Their fans will probably tell you they'd be very disappointed if they didn't go on and secure it now.

I think the Europa League is our best bet, hopefully we get lucky and draw some more farmers and then when it comes to playing someone of note, Emery's European pedigree can help us out.

SMatthews
11-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Hopefully Utd have peaked with their form a little early and fade off a bit as the weeks pass on. Likewise for us, hopefully we can find a decent run after a difficult Dec/Jan.

At the start of the season, most fans didn't expect us to hit top four. Being one point off with a 12 games to go is probably better than expected.

http://i67.tinypic.com/167ml3k.png

compared to this season

http://i63.tinypic.com/mtqbk8.png

McNamara That Ghost...
11-02-2019, 05:35 PM
I don't think favourites now really means too much.

Man Utd have PSG, twice, Liverpool and Chelsea across various competitions before the match with us looms. That's a lot of high intensity games in a short period of time.

AFC Leveller
12-02-2019, 05:47 AM
We are 5 points better off than last season and 4 points closer to the top 4, so it’s not all doom and gloom. However, my biggest issue is that we don’t currently play good winning football and are almost stumbling across the line in the matches we are winning. The West Ham, Brighton and Saints games where we dropped 7 points, we didn’t even threaten in the last 30 minutes and seemed to run out of ideas.

We need to find a way of breaking teams down better while being more solid defensively, Emery has his work cut out.

Bumble
12-02-2019, 01:56 PM
They also changed their full backs - but both were cheap. That’s 4 out of the back 5 that needed shipping out. It’s what we have to go through too.
it was more a reference that £150m was spent on 2 players. Robertson I don't think was expensive, Alexander-Arnold came through youth academy and Gomes was a steal from Charlton. We would probably improve defensively just by not having Mustafi in the side although I do think we need a new left back. But Holding/Koscienly and Sokratis are decent defenders. The keeper seems ok too. We just keep getting injuries at the back.

SMatthews
12-02-2019, 02:24 PM
it was more a reference that £150m was spent on 2 players. Robertson I don't think was expensive, Alexander-Arnold came through youth academy and Gomes was a steal from Charlton. We would probably improve defensively just by not having Mustafi in the side although I do think we need a new left back. But Holding/Koscienly and Sokratis are decent defenders. The keeper seems ok too. We just keep getting injuries at the back.

Definitely agree. We need another alternative to Bellerin too. When he’s out the side (he was out over Xmas and that affected us badly) we lose a lot going forward. Mav/Sok/Holding and one more needed for the centre. Kos will probably go as he wanted at the end of last season - then he got injured.

McNamara That Ghost...
24-02-2019, 05:35 PM
Updated again.

It's on!

SMatthews
24-02-2019, 05:43 PM
Not much difference in terms of goals scored and conceded, but 8 points up on last year. Let’s keep it up.

Letters
24-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Utd at home is going to be key.
After that it’s a pretty decent run in.

AFC Leveller
24-02-2019, 08:42 PM

I think trips to Wolves and Burnley will be tough as well, really can’t take them for granted.

AFC Leveller
24-02-2019, 08:42 PM

I think trips to Wolves and Burnley will be tough as well, really can’t take them for granted.

Marc Overmars
24-02-2019, 09:07 PM
We shouldn’t be taking any game for granted because we’re not very good.

Letters
25-02-2019, 12:32 PM
We shouldn’t be taking any game for granted because we’re not very good.

So far we're as good as the teams around us although Utd have the momentum.
We're not as good as the top 3, we're better than anyone below 6th. Chelsea are a car crash, only Utd to worry about really and I suspect they'll finish above us.
Looking like we'll be closer to top 4 than last year though so my mood is lifting somewhat.

Bumble
25-02-2019, 01:48 PM
So far we're as good as the teams around us although Utd have the momentum.
We're not as good as the top 3, we're better than anyone below 6th. Chelsea are a car crash, only Utd to worry about really and I suspect they'll finish above us.
Looking like we'll be closer to top 4 than last year though so my mood is lifting somewhat.

United have a better squad than us and luckily Mourinho managed them until December to give us a chance of a top 4 slot. I think it is between us and United, United have some tricky games to come and maybe the injuries they picked up yesterday could have an impact.

SMatthews
25-02-2019, 01:53 PM
We finished a miserable 12 points off fourth last season, so I think we’re getting the most out of this squad so far, as we’ve made up 8 points so far - especially with three players out for the season.

75 points needed for fourth last year, and 76 the year before, so that’s the marker.

Letters
25-02-2019, 02:02 PM
75 points needed for fourth last year, and 76 the year before, so that’s the marker.
Wenger's first title we won it with 78.
Shows how the gap between the top few and "the rest" has grown.
Makes all the more remarkable what Leicester did, that just shouldn't be possible in the modern game :wacko:

SMatthews
25-02-2019, 02:38 PM
With the emergence of City, Spurs and Liverpool as consistent teams, the landscape at the top of the league is completely different. Back in 2016, fourth place took 66 points. We finished 6th last year with 65 I think.

Marc Overmars
25-02-2019, 04:08 PM
We finished with 63 points last year and we're currently 10 points shy of that with 11 games to play. Statistically at least, we're on for a much improved season.

Performance-wise there's a lot to be desired but you'd hope that will come in time. If we can nick 4th that would be a very decent return for Emery, I'm not convinced at all we will get the job done but it's good to be in the mix again after being out in the wilderness for all of the last season.

Letters
25-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Maybe my hissy fit after BATE was an over-reaction. It's just felt all a bit...Wengery of late, but I said Emery gets a free pass this season unless it's a car crash and it looks like it won't be one, and if we miss out on top 4 then that's not unexpected and it's not a given now there are 5/6 teams more than capable of finishing there.

SMatthews
25-02-2019, 04:25 PM
We finished with 63 points last year and we're currently 10 points shy of that with 11 games to play. Statistically at least, we're on for a much improved season.

Performance-wise there's a lot to be desired but you'd hope that will come in time. If we can nick 4th that would be a very decent return for Emery, I'm not convinced at all we will get the job done but it's good to be in the mix again after being out in the wilderness for all of the last season.

Exactly, we have to give him time to sort out the style of play, but in terms of results we are moving in the right direction after taking a big step back after last season, and finishing a point off fourth in 2017.

With the top six as it is, I wonder how easy it is to judge success by top four finishes. There will always be two 'big' teams that miss out (assuming Spurs stick around). When there was only a top four (Us, Utd, Chelsea and one of City/Liverpool/Spurs) it was easier to judge. Now there are six it's a little tougher.

SMatthews
28-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Now 11 points up on last season.

From the last ten games if we can get 7 wins, or 6 wins and a couple of draws we’ll bag a top four spot. Seems like a tough ask, but definitely doable.

Mac76
28-02-2019, 09:27 AM
the spuds game is key - we at least need a draw, but if we can take our momentum (and their lack of it) and get a result, we're only one point behind them plus that's a difficult game out of the way

taking our chances last night was really important - if Chelski win their game in hand they're level on points but thanks to last night we're +4 on them

SMatthews
28-02-2019, 09:35 AM
I don't think Chelsea score enough goals to worry about them getting 4th. Higuain is done, Giroud barely gets a game and it all rests on Hazard.

Özim
28-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Think top 4 will be tough, Man U are in great form and getting results, whilst we've beaten the smaller teams on the whole we've struggled against top sides, Europa Leaugue is still our best hope.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-02-2019, 05:39 PM
We have more points against the top teams than Man Utd have accrued.

Özim
01-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Whilst that may be true, their upturn has come since Solkjaer has come in so it's not an accurate reflection of things as they stand, they also beat us at home in the cup comfortably.

Mac76
01-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Whilst that may be true, their upturn has come since Solkjaer has come in so it's not an accurate reflection of things as they stand, they also beat us at home in the cup comfortably.

very true, but I fancy us to put up a better show in the PL, you only have to look at the contrasting efforts against spuds in the PL and league cup to know which competition our players know is more important

McNamara That Ghost...
01-03-2019, 01:14 PM

It's irrelevant whether it's a fair reflection or not, the matches have already been played.

Özim
01-03-2019, 01:28 PM
It's irrelevant whether it's a fair reflection or not, the matches have already been played.

Your stat about us getting more points than them was also somewhat irrelevant, it doesn't paint an accurate picture of the current reality, that being Man U are are playing like much better team at the moment than they were earlier in the season (under a different manager).

If you want something more reprensentative, then the fact they beat us when we were at home in the cup is more apt.

Özim
01-03-2019, 01:29 PM
very true, but I fancy us to put up a better show in the PL, you only have to look at the contrasting efforts against spuds in the PL and league cup to know which competition our players know is more important

Time will tell, but at best we'll get a draw I reckon.

SMatthews
01-03-2019, 02:54 PM

I think when things are going well, it's much better to point out the negatives.

Letters
01-03-2019, 04:22 PM
I think when things are going well, it's much better to point out the negatives.

:lol:

Zim’s gotta Zim.

I think he’s pretty much right here though.
Utd are probably favourites for 4th right now.
If we are ahead of them after we play them, or within a couple of points I think we will have a chance

McNamara That Ghost...
01-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Your stat about us getting more points than them was also somewhat irrelevant, it doesn't paint an accurate picture of the current reality, that being Man U are are playing like much better team at the moment than they were earlier in the season (under a different manager).

If you want something more reprensentative, then the fact they beat us when we were at home in the cup is more apt.

How is it irrelevant, you said we struggled against the top sides, we are above two others on points earned so far.

Man Utd matched our result to Liverpool at home under Solskjaer the great.

Using the FA Cup as indicator for the league is an interesting concept.

Özim
01-03-2019, 06:24 PM
How is it irrelevant, you said we struggled against the top sides, we are above two others on points earned so far.

Man Utd matched our result to Liverpool at home under Solskjaer the great.

Using the FA Cup as indicator for the league is an interesting concept.

It is because we have and I never mentioned Man U, but the point is Man U under their new manager can't be compared to Man U under Mourinho where they struggled and we're miles behind us.

Yes they did but having lost 3 key players on the day a draw was a pretty good result, moreover last time we played Liverpool hammered us.

Man U are a completely different team now under Solkjaer, because the players are playing for him, they weren't for Mourinho, they also have a better team overall.

It's pretty relevant given it was fairly recently and a game under Solkjaer, they beat us 3-1 at the Emirates, yes we've now won a couple games, but Man U haven't lost (other than against PSG) under Solkjaer and have won most of their games.

As I said a draw is probably the best we can hope for, we lack the quality to go toe to toe with them, a couple games isn't going to change that, until recently we were playing really poorly.

McNamara That Ghost...
01-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Think top 4 will be tough, Man U are in great form and getting results, whilst we've beaten the smaller teams on the whole we've struggled against top sides, Europa Leaugue is still our best hope.

Never mentioned Man Utd?

:wacko:

No mention of us losing both our starting centre backs against Man Utd in the FA Cup but quickly point out in an initial response to 0-0 with Liverpool of their injury issues.

Özim
01-03-2019, 07:04 PM
Never mentioned Man Utd?

:wacko:

No mention of us losing both our starting centre backs against Man Utd in the FA Cup but quickly point out in an initial response to 0-0 with Liverpool of their injury issues.

:lol: Do you mean the centre backs in the defence that had been shipping goals left right and centre all season....please.

Man U are a better side and I don't see us beating them as it stands.

Mac76
01-03-2019, 07:15 PM
:lol: Do you mean the centre backs in the defence that had been shipping goals left right and centre all season....please.

Don't agree, our cup performances against top sides haven't been as good our league games, so either unconsciously or deliberately we've been playing like we know it's the league that matters.

I think if we have the same energy and cohesiveness we've showed in the last two games we've got every chance of winning, the crowd will be so up for it

McNamara That Ghost...
01-03-2019, 07:18 PM

Koscielny and Socrates are pretty good when they play together - or are you seriously suggesting you'd rather have Mustafi and Xhaka in there for 27 minutes of a match?

They're fifth so until otherwise the case, they aren't better than us.

SMatthews
01-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Don't agree, our cup performances against top sides haven't been as good our league games, so either unconsciously or deliberately we've been playing like we know it's the league that matters.

I think if we have the same energy and cohesiveness we've showed in the last two games we've got every chance of winning, the crowd will be so up for it

I’m not sure Man Utd will ever lose a game again. They’re great.

SMatthews
01-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Koscielny and Socrates are pretty good when they play together - or are you seriously suggesting you'd rather have Mustafi and Xhaka in there for 27 minutes of a match?

They're fifth so until otherwise the case, they aren't better than us.

I disagree. I think if we finish fourth and they are below that shows they are clearly streets ahead. The table never lies.

McNamara That Ghost...
01-03-2019, 07:55 PM
My mistake!

In other news, I've updated the OP.

Man Utd's game against Man City sandwiched between Neverton away and Chelsea at home. :popcorn:

Still not known when our game with Wolves or Chelsea's will be with Brighton but Chelsea do play their game in hand against Neverton away.

Mac76
02-03-2019, 08:22 AM
This predictor is pretty good - i've had one go and had us finishing 5th behind Moan U, by 3 pts, but i was probably being a bit generous to them - the trouble with the predictor is you might think they'll slip up somewhere but can't work out when - though i did say we'd win the upcoming game

https://thefishy.co.uk/calc.php

selassie
02-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Top 4 is still achievable, even 3rd is. No room for slip ups though. It’s going to need a flawless run in now. We need to beat United next week, must win.

SMatthews
02-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Top 4 is still achievable, even 3rd is. No room for slip ups though. It’s going to need a flawless run in now. We need to beat United next week, must win.

Going to be tight but doesn’t have to be flawless. Everyone will drop points along the way. Just good to be in it, rather than watching on from 6th.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-03-2019, 03:06 PM
I'll add the Spuds in now.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-03-2019, 03:12 PM
And added them I have.

Letters
02-03-2019, 03:25 PM

Just possible that the St Totteringham’s Day bunting might need dusting off

McNamara That Ghost...
02-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Imagine they have Europa League for their new stadium. :pray:

selassie
04-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Going to be tight but doesn’t have to be flawless. Everyone will drop points along the way. Just good to be in it, rather than watching on from 6th.

Hmmm...well there are essentially 4 teams....if you want to include the Spuds fighting for 2 spots.

If Chelsea win their game in hand we are down to 6th.

It's not going to be easy...we need to put a good set of wins together to give ourselves the best chance possible. United at home next week is MASSIVE, we have to win that, it's a must WIN.

Mac76
04-03-2019, 12:21 PM
Hmmm...well there are essentially 4 teams....if you want to include the Spuds fighting for 2 spots.

It's not going to be easy...we need to put a good set of wins together to give ourselves the best chance possible. United at home next week is MASSIVE, we have to win that, it's a must WIN.

can't wait for that game, the atmosphere will be amazing - let's hope we get better refereeing this time

Marc Overmars
04-03-2019, 12:23 PM
One week we could be 6th, another we could be 4th. There's barely anything in it and I wouldn't place too much emphasis on what position we find ourselves in week by week at the moment.

I'd say United is a must not lose, rather than a must win. Still more than enough points to play for to get the job done. Beating them would give us a huge springboard though considering it is the last fixture we have against a top 6 side this season.

Mac76
04-03-2019, 12:52 PM
I think it's pretty important, the Wolves and Watford away games are still both quite challenging for us IMO - we need as many points as possible so we can afford to slip up in one of those

SMatthews
04-03-2019, 01:00 PM

The positions don't matter right now, as there are only a few points in it. The points gap is what has to be focussed on. A target of around 75 points will probably get 4th spot. Definitely not going to be easy, but it has to be remember Utd won't maintain this form forever. They just squeezed past Southampton, and dropped points at home to Burnley, so it can come from anywhere. I'd say next week is a must not lose, rather than a must win. Of course, we all want a win, but I don't think a draw is going to kill us either.

The bottom line is, there's no predicting it, as any of the the 4 below City and Pool can drop points in any game.

selassie
04-03-2019, 03:25 PM
The positions don't matter right now, as there are only a few points in it. The points gap is what has to be focussed on. A target of around 75 points will probably get 4th spot. Definitely not going to be easy, but it has to be remember Utd won't maintain this form forever. They just squeezed past Southampton, and dropped points at home to Burnley, so it can come from anywhere. I'd say next week is a must not lose, rather than a must win. Of course, we all want a win, but I don't think a draw is going to kill us either.

The bottom line is, there's no predicting it, as any of the the 4 below City and Pool can drop points in any game.

Aye, can't argue with that.

I do agree to an extent that next week is must not lose...however I think it's important we try and pick up maximum points in our remaining home games. We have some real tricky away games to tackle...ones where I think we will drop points...our home form will be crucial in the run-in.

SMatthews
04-03-2019, 04:51 PM
12 points up on last season, 9 more goals and conceded 2 less.

Fourth spot has exactly the same at this point, 58 points. Third had 60 last season, now it’s 61.

selassie
06-03-2019, 11:14 PM
12 points up on last season, 9 more goals and conceded 2 less.

Fourth spot has exactly the same at this point, 58 points. Third had 60 last season, now it’s 61.

All the challengers are still in Europe too. This could play a part depending on who progresses the furthest

Letters
07-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Yes. As much as I wish Utd and Spurs would FOAD, them having more games could help us.

Marc Overmars
07-03-2019, 09:57 AM
Doubt it. We have plenty of extras games to play ourselves, if we have designs of winning the EL.

Letters
07-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Yes. But if we had those extra games and Spurs and Utd had a clear run then it would give them more of an edge.
Better they have more games too - so long as they don't do anything silly and go and win the thing :sulk:

SMatthews
07-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Spurs winning something :lol:

Bumble
07-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Spurs winning something :lol:

which will happen next - us winning the league or spurs winning a trophy.

Bumble
07-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Yes. But if we had those extra games and Spurs and Utd had a clear run then it would give them more of an edge.
Better they have more games too - so long as they don't do anything silly and go and win the thing :sulk:

Luckily while City and Barca are still there... cant see Spurs winning it. Hopefully, United used up all there luck yesterday otherwise we could get bashed on Sunday.

SMatthews
07-03-2019, 02:05 PM
which will happen next - us winning the league or spurs winning a trophy.

I’m insulted you even have to ask.

Marc Overmars
07-03-2019, 02:20 PM
I think everyone will be waiting a very, very long time to find out the answer to that.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-03-2019, 08:16 PM
I think Spurs will probably win a trophy before we win the league next. As putrid a thought as it is....

Letters
08-03-2019, 10:53 AM
I think Spurs will probably win a trophy before we win the league next. As putrid a thought as it is....

I was wondering to myself the other day, will we ever win the league again?
In Fever Pitch Hornby talks about how he'd started to think that winning the league was something you believed in, like God. And in the 80s he'd stopped believing, we seemed like a club content to bumble around in mid-table without ever seriously threatening to go down or challenge for a title. Then in '89 he finally allowed himself to believe, then it looked like we'd thrown it away, then came Anfield '89.

Point being, past performance is not an indication of future outcomes. Hornby talks about clubs like Huddersfield - 3 titles a row in the 20s (Chapman :bow:) and...that was it. Fortunes can change. The gap between the haves and have-nots is more marked now of course, I'd say it's pretty much impossible for us to ever go down, it would have to take some spectacular mismanagement. But will we ever win a title again while clubs like City have so much more spending power than us and that is so highly correlated with success?

Never's a long time but it's hard to see how we can win a title any time soon.

Marc Overmars
08-03-2019, 11:07 AM
There will be some windows of opportunity, like from 2014-2016 where all the top sides were going through a bit of a transition, while we had a stable squad, manager and finally some money to spend. It’s a shame that period coincided with Wenger’s downfall but I believe we could have won at least one title in those 3 seasons if we had applied ourselves correctly.

I doubt we will be in the frame again for a while though, it looks like a closed shop now.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
08-03-2019, 01:27 PM
I was wondering to myself the other day, will we ever win the league again?
In Fever Pitch Hornby talks about how he'd started to think that winning the league was something you believed in, like God. And in the 80s he'd stopped believing, we seemed like a club content to bumble around in mid-table without ever seriously threatening to go down or challenge for a title. Then in '89 he finally allowed himself to believe, then it looked like we'd thrown it away, then came Anfield '89.

Point being, past performance is not an indication of future outcomes. Hornby talks about clubs like Huddersfield - 3 titles a row in the 20s (Chapman :bow:) and...that was it. Fortunes can change. The gap between the haves and have-nots is more marked now of course, I'd say it's pretty much impossible for us to ever go down, it would have to take some spectacular mismanagement. But will we ever win a title again while clubs like City have so much more spending power than us and that is so highly correlated with success?

Never's a long time but it's hard to see how we can win a title any time soon.

Exactly. Under the current conditions it's hard to foresee.... and I am kind of okay with that to an extent....as I actually think the club should spend what it makes and not profit from dubious billionaires.

I think what will have to happen is practically every club in the league and abroad be the plaything of billionaires. THEN football will inevitably reevaluate itself and find some obscure way to lessen the significance of money in the equation.

Unless we have a miracle season... I don't see it....and even in the odd year where more than 1 of our rivals have poor seasons or are in transition.....we are such a farce ourselves that we never manage to capitalise. As we should have done in the year Leicester won it.

Master Splinter
08-03-2019, 08:07 PM

More Seats Than The Emirates trophy?

The Dismantler
09-03-2019, 11:52 PM
More Seats Than The Emirates trophy?

Can our Stadium be extended so we have more seats than these inbreeds? Cant stand the lot me.... anything to outdo them will do....

The Dismantler
09-03-2019, 11:58 PM
I hope spurs new stadium roof collapse (obviously without the fans inside... I'm not that wicked...!) :d

dazthegooner
10-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Don't thinl Kreonke would pay to have the stadium extended and atm don't think we would fill it every time no matter what the 'official attendence's' say. (though hopefully he might spend money on players (yes it's early and only on my first coffee: :)

SMatthews
10-03-2019, 11:45 AM
If we wanted to extend it the council said we’d also have to pay for upgrading the local transport systems, which I think included a new tube station, so it ain’t gonna happen.

Letters
10-03-2019, 02:35 PM
If we wanted to extend it the council said we’d also have to pay for upgrading the local transport systems, which I think included a new tube station, so it ain’t gonna happen.

That’s complete horseshit from the council.
Within walking distance we have 4 Piccadilly Line stations, 2 Victoria Line ones and 3 overground.
Spurs only have WHL station which only has trains every 30 minutes at weekends - they may make it 15 on match days but their transport links are nowhere near as good as ours (and ours is a lot better than Wembley’s, while we are here.

McNamara That Ghost...
10-03-2019, 06:31 PM
All updated.

It's on!

SMatthews
10-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Top four trophy is coming home.

Letters
10-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Top four trophy is coming home.

Or “The Wengerbowl” as it’s better known.

Marc Overmars
10-03-2019, 07:24 PM
All to play for!

Our run-in is kinder on paper but things don’t always pan out the way you think. Can’t afford to take anything for granted.

Would fucking love it if Spurs missed out now. Chokers.

Master Splinter
10-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Us and Chelsea would be the funniest outcome.

SMatthews
10-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Nicked this top 6 mini league off another forum. Nice to be competitive in these games again.

1) City | P8 | W6 | D1 | L1 | F17 | A5 | GD12 | PTS 19
2) Pool | P8 | W3 | D4 | L1 | F13 | A7 | GD6 | PTS 13
3) Arsnl | P10 | W3 | D3 | L4 | F16 | A19 | GD-3 | PTS 12
4) Chavs | P8 | W3 | D2 | L3 | F11 | A16 | GD-5 | PTS 11
5) Spurs | P8 | W2 | D1 | L5 | F10 | A12 | GD-2 | PTS 7
6) United | P8 | W1 | D3 | L4 | F7 | A15 | GD-8 | PTS 6

McNamara That Ghost...
10-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Man Utd. :haha:

Marc Overmars
10-03-2019, 08:01 PM
The only thing that worries me is we're heavily reliant on our home form but we only have 3 home games remaining and 5 away.

We will definitely need to pick up more points on the road to finish the job - 5 wins from 14 so far isn't good enough.

AFC Leveller
11-03-2019, 07:01 AM
We have 4 very tough away games to Watford, Burnley, Everton and Wolves. Watford in particular always raise their game against us and we will need to be up for it.

It will go down to the last week imo but we have to start winning away games.

dazthegooner
11-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Now's a good time as any.

SMatthews
11-03-2019, 08:32 AM
75/76 points should get a top four spot so that’s at least 5/6 wins needed from the last 8.

AFC Leveller
11-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Considering Spuds go to Liverpool next and they still have city away, things could look a lot different.

McNamara That Ghost...
17-03-2019, 07:25 PM
:popcorn:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
17-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Nicked this top 6 mini league off another forum. Nice to be competitive in these games again.

1) City | P8 | W6 | D1 | L1 | F17 | A5 | GD12 | PTS 19
2) Pool | P8 | W3 | D4 | L1 | F13 | A7 | GD6 | PTS 13
3) Arsnl | P10 | W3 | D3 | L4 | F16 | A19 | GD-3 | PTS 12
4) Chavs | P8 | W3 | D2 | L3 | F11 | A16 | GD-5 | PTS 11
5) Spurs | P8 | W2 | D1 | L5 | F10 | A12 | GD-2 | PTS 7
6) United | P8 | W1 | D3 | L4 | F7 | A15 | GD-8 | PTS 6

Hang on a minute.....we've played 2 more games than anyone else in that.....

Marc Overmars
17-03-2019, 07:47 PM
If City win the cup then 6th becomes a EL spot. That team will have to start the EL qualifiers in July... :lol:

SMatthews
17-03-2019, 08:17 PM

New rules

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
17-03-2019, 11:41 PM

Letters
18-03-2019, 07:54 AM

:( All the others have 2 games in hand

McNamara That Ghost...
18-03-2019, 11:26 AM
We most likely can't be bottom of that table. :bow:

Bumble
18-03-2019, 01:23 PM
If City win the cup then 6th becomes a EL spot. That team will have to start the EL qualifiers in July... :lol:

Chelsea then. new manager, no hazard, no new signings!!!

SMatthews
28-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Our fixtures this month:

April 1st – Newcastle (H)
April 7th – Everton (A)
April 11th – Napoli (H)
April 15th – Watford (A)
April 18th – Napoli (A)
April 21st – Crystal Palace (H)
April 24th – Wolves (A)
April 29th – Leicester (A)

Torreira is suspended until Watford, Ramsey picked up an injury (another little reminder there) and Xhaka might have picked one up too. It’s gonna be a tough but crucial month ahead.

Marc Overmars
28-03-2019, 09:18 AM
The home matches should be bread and butter, it’s those away games I’m not particularly confident about. After Newcastle it’s 5 away and 2 home games remaining. We’ll have to win at least 3 of those 5 fixtures you’d imagine but given our away form this season, it’s hard to see where those wins will be coming from.

SMatthews
28-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Hopefully Wolves and Leicester have gone on holiday by the time we roll up there - and if Wolves get into the FA Cup Final then the players will hopefully have an eye on that. Everton have zero consistency. But what’s on paper doesn’t always pan out. We could well drop silly points at home and pick up unexpected points away. At least we still have something to play for this season.

Mac76
29-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Hopefully Wolves and Leicester have gone on holiday by the time we roll up there - and if Wolves get into the FA Cup Final then the players will hopefully have an eye on that. Everton have zero consistency. But what’s on paper doesn’t always pan out. We could well drop silly points at home and pick up unexpected points away. At least we still have something to play for this season.

if Wolves are in the FAC final i'd expect Santo to literally play the reserves in our game, they're really aiming to win the Cup, and i doubt many Wolves fans would complain at resting their players

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-03-2019, 07:50 PM
There's a massive gap between our game with them and the FA cup final is there not?

Mac76
29-03-2019, 07:53 PM
There's a massive gap between our game with them and the FA cup final is there not?

Only about two weeks - how long does it take a player to recover from the average injury?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-03-2019, 08:10 PM
FA cup final is 18th of May 2019 google is telling me. Is that wrong?

LDG
29-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Only about two weeks - how long does it take a player to recover from the average injury?

Thats right. I’ve no problem with a bit of sly threatening.

Emery should ring him up and just say “h’weel fa-huckin brek h’your h’legs if hue dhon’t play h’your fa-huckin’ resies campandino”

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-03-2019, 08:14 PM
It's 3 weeks and 3 days between those games.

Mac76
30-03-2019, 09:45 AM
It's 3 weeks and 3 days between those games.

Jeez, ok, it's three bloody weeks, but they are so focussed on the cup he might still take it easy with some players - it takes more than three weeks to get over a lot of injuries, but anyway forget it, whaddever etc... :rolleyes:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-03-2019, 10:52 PM
You say it as if I was splitting hairs over the difference between 1 day and 2 days. I wasn't even sure I was correct...and was waiting to be corrected...then didn't so I simply assumed the dates I googled were correct. 3 and a half weeks is a significant period of time.

If they have the FA cup game in their minds that far in advance then they will for their other games around that time as well. And whilst I think they may switch off, it's not like they are going to throw every game till they get their day in the sun.

I think they are more than capable of giving us a decent game with an injury or two anyway considering our away record, but if we get our act together.....of course we can beat them. I was at the game we played them in at home and they gave us a damn good game then too. Nevertheless, they're a good team, but they aren't a prime Barcelona led by Messi.

Mac76
30-03-2019, 11:18 PM
Ok, i give in - they're going to play the full first team, go in hard and throw their bodies on the line - can we just drop it now... :sarcy:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-03-2019, 11:25 PM
You can stop talking whenever you feel like buddy....

I'm not your boss.

GP
30-03-2019, 11:35 PM
We're fucking better than them anyway. Who gives a shit?

Mac76
31-03-2019, 10:56 AM
well it's just that our away form isn't great - adding up the results away in the PL this season comes out like this:

W - 6
D - 4
L - 5

to be fair the defeats include Chelsea, Liverpool and Citeh though

Wolves are a good side, though they've lost form a bit

McNamara That Ghost...
01-04-2019, 09:03 PM
OP updated. :scarf:

selassie
02-04-2019, 09:36 AM
well it's just that our away form isn't great - adding up the results away in the PL this season comes out like this:

W - 6
D - 4
L - 5

to be fair the defeats include Chelsea, Liverpool and Citeh though

Wolves are a good side, though they've lost form a bit

we are going to need to step up our away form otherwise we will miss our on top 4. Next 2 away games are very difficult, but I’m confident that we can pick up maximum points on current form.

GP
02-04-2019, 09:38 AM
We've matched our points total from last season. 7 games left.

Letters
02-04-2019, 10:30 AM
We've matched our points total from last season. 7 games left.

Wenger :haha:

Emery :bow:

Whether we finish top 4 or not, it does seem like we've made some progress since last year

SMatthews
02-04-2019, 10:56 AM
We’ve been slowly edging our way in that direction all season. Emery has been harshly judged way too quickly when we had a difficult month. But as I said, he’s getting it because fans are still pissed off about the latter half of Wenger’s reign and our ownership. I didn’t think we’d get top 4 this season, so he’s surpassing my expectations so far.

Letters
02-04-2019, 11:22 AM
My benchmark for him this year was to challenge for top 4.
He’s doing that so I think he’s done well enough for this season.
Not sure what to expect next year.
With our owner I’m not sure how much is realistic.

Marc Overmars
02-04-2019, 11:38 AM
He's squeezing everything he can from this squad and it still might not be enough to get us over the line given how tight everything is at the moment. Good to be back in the frame though having something to play for during the run-in, last year was a real shit show so well done to Emery for the quick turnaround.

Our away form hasn't seen as much improvement however, so hopefully that picks up ASAP, as that is essentially the key to qualifying for the CL.

SMatthews
02-04-2019, 12:35 PM
I actually think our improvement away from home is the reason we are in contention - we’ve always had a a good home record. Last year we lost 11 times away. We’ve played a few less than the others, so the next few away games will give us a better reading

WMUG
02-04-2019, 12:50 PM
the reason we are in contention... We’ve played a few less (away games) than the others

Hmm.

SMatthews
02-04-2019, 12:58 PM
That’s one way of taking away the context.

I am invisible
02-04-2019, 05:24 PM
Whether it’s by luck or judgement, it looks like Emery has somehow managed to keep the squad fresh for the run in with all of his early-season rotations, random formation trials, and by freezing out certain key players for long spells.

It also looks a lot like he’s been keeping a consistent system under his hat until recently, giving the rest of the league no real chance to observe it and pick out weaknesses? We’re still beatable, of course, but at least it’s forcing teams to have to outfight and outplay us instead of parking the bus and grabbing an easy 3 points through an obvious and easily-exploited flaw.

Risky strategy, but I’m not sure anyone knows what to make of us right now (us included!)

SMatthews
02-04-2019, 05:47 PM
I’m not sure many other managers getting us into this position would be classed as being lucky. He clearly knows what he’s doing, and has figured out his squad and what they can give him over the course of the season. He’s also played the Ozil thing very well - getting him motivated and playing well on a consistent basis (so far).

Mac76
02-04-2019, 10:22 PM
Well full credit to Emery now, we're looking in better form for the run in than the teams around us - let's just hope we can keep it together now and avoid any key injuries

But i'm still not sure about the over-caution around christmas which saw us looking shaky and going on a bad run - i know we had some injuries but i still think trying to be so defensive was wrong given especially at that time our best hope was to score more goals than the opposition rather than successfully defend a 1-0 lead

And actually i'm not convinced he had to freeze out Ozil to the extent he did but maybe they've both learnt something from the episode.

But anyway if we finish third all is forgiven :lol:

I am invisible
03-04-2019, 07:27 AM
Credit to him - he’s worked out a system that clearly fits the players we have, and he’s been pragmatic enough to roll with it, even though it’s not his preferred formation.

Whether it was intentional, or just a by-product of experimenting with his new squad, he’s managed to remedy one of our major flaws: our crippling predictability. It’s not been a golden bullet for 3 points every week, but it has it least meant that opponents have to think a little harder than just parking the bus and hitting us on the counter now. And now we’re finally revealing a preferred system, I’m hoping it’s too late in the day for anyone to really analyse and exploit it?

Looking forward to seeing how we evolve next season - even if we bring in the players Emery needs to revert to his favoured 4231, it’s good to know we have this 3412 already nailed down if we need to mix things up.

KSE Comedy Club
03-04-2019, 03:39 PM
I for one have judged Emery a little more harshly than perhaps I should this season, but that is definitely a hang over from the Wenger era & he is doing a good job so far. The Christmas period was a odd period and as Mac says, we were unnecessarily over cautious when we didn't need to be and could have resulted in us being in a more comfortable position now points wise if we hadn't, but I would still take where we are now over where we were last season any day.

The real key however, will be what we do in the summer with ins & outs, as to where we go from here and how Emery fairs next season imo.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Off topic......don't think Santi is quite as finished as many thought. Another of Globalgunner's pearls of wisdom.

Marc Overmars
03-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Great to see him back playing again but I don’t blame the club for letting him go.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-04-2019, 07:47 PM
At the start of the season I thought we'd finish 5th, so I'd be delighted to be wrong and we finish 3rd....which to be honest, is looking most likely.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Great to see him back playing again but I don’t blame the club for letting him go.

I'm not up in arms over it....but we brought in a dud like Litch and got rid of Santi? A player of that talent and contribution deserves a proper send off which to this day he has not had.....not to mention the fact our medical team couldn't get him right again and he had to push things to be seen in Spain to get fixed. I read he's even played 37 games this season. Had we kept him, I'm pretty sure everybody would be patting the club on the back now for exceptional decision making.

But yeah....what's happened has has happened. Happy for him he's back playing.

Marc Overmars
03-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Maybe if Wenger was still here Santi may have been offered another deal but yeah what’s done is done. Unfortunate circumstance all round but as long as he gets to see out his career on his terms than good for him.

I am invisible
04-04-2019, 07:16 AM
I feel oddly OK about seeing Santi bossing it out in Spain. I mean I miss the little guy, of course, but we haven’t done badly out of it with Torreira and Guendouzi coming in, who are going to be far more long-term for us. Feels like everyone has done well out of it for once.

Marc Overmars
04-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Bossing it? Yeah he's had a few games where he rolled back the years but Villarreal are in a relegation battle...

I am invisible
04-04-2019, 08:07 AM
*bossing it in small snapshots (e.g. the one game here and there that I pay any attention to in Spain)

SMatthews
08-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Looking on the brighter side, Chelsea also have 3 away games, against Liverpool, Utd and Leicester and I think they’ve only won one, or none of their away games since the turn of the year.

Letters
08-04-2019, 01:37 PM
There are a lot of twists and turns in this yet.
Our away form is of concern and will harm our chances but we're still in the race which, after last season, is all you can ask for right now.

KSE Comedy Club
08-04-2019, 03:46 PM
I still think we will finish top four this season, but we can do without any more silly shit like yesterday!

It's such a shame as I actually think we threw the game away before it started. How many times have we said that though :coffee:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
08-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Santi would have ran that game at walking pace against Newcastle. That is as lost as I've seen our midfield this season that wasn't a developmental side in the Europa. He's pulled the strings, ran their midfield and been instrumental in good results against both Barca and Real this season.

Gomes was made to look like Pirlo against us. Pirlo with a foot it in at that. It is a bit of a wild notion but I also think with him we would have probably won that game against Chelsea at the season start and possibly even the Liverpool one at home.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
08-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Would still prefer we won the Europa than finish top 4 anyways, but obviously hope we finish third and win the Europa.

Mac76
09-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Having read this, it seems there's a chance even fourth won't get a CL place, if English teams win this year's CL and EL - obviously if we win the EL that won't matter but if it's Chelski that could be bad news if we have only made fourth :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47806720

Özim
09-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Having read this, it seems there's a chance even fourth won't get a CL place, if English teams win this year's CL and EL - obviously if we win the EL that won't matter but if it's Chelski that could be bad news if we have only made fourth :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47806720

That's why the Europa should be the priority. Top 4 is a lottery, only takes an English side in the top 4 to win the CL or Chelsea to win the Europa and finish in the top 4 to deny us.

Mac76
09-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Having seen that Everton game i'd tend to agree, i just don't think we'll keep pace in the league unless there's a magical improvement in our away form - but we need to do a real job on Napoli in Thursday - anything less than a 3-0 lead and i'll be worried...

Chippy
09-04-2019, 08:57 PM
Arsenal 63 points +26GD
Wolves (a) Requires rescheduling
Everton (a)
Watford (a)
Crystal Palace (h)
Leicester (a)
Brighton (h)
Burnley (a)

Tottenham 61 points +24GD

Crystal Palace (h)
Brighton (h)
Huddersfield (h)
Man City (a)
West Ham (h)
Bournemouth (a)
Everton (h)

Man Utd 61 points +18GD
West Ham (h)
Everton (a)
Man City (h)
Chelsea (h)
Huddersfield (a)
Cardiff (h)

Chelsea 60 points +18GD
Brighton (a)
West Ham (h)
Liverpool (a)
Burnley (h)
Man Utd (a)
Watford (h)
Leicester (a)

--------------
If the Spuds win this fucking thing do we lose a place? Could you imagine it FFS

GP
09-04-2019, 09:11 PM
If the Spuds win this fucking thing do we lose a place? Could you imagine it FFS

They won't.

Mac76
09-04-2019, 09:37 PM
At least K**t's injured - that should help

Chippy
09-04-2019, 09:59 PM
They won't.
Why? HATE to say it, but on their day ..........:upset:

SMatthews
09-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Stop panicking. They never win shit and it’s not going to start now.

GP
09-04-2019, 10:31 PM
Why? HATE to say it, but on their day ..........:upset:

On their day, they still aren't good enough.

Letters
10-04-2019, 08:53 AM
I'm still clinging on to the fact that...

Lads, it's Tottenham.

SMatthews
10-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Spurs aren’t winning anything :lol:

Bumble
10-04-2019, 12:41 PM
At least K**t's injured - that should help

although when he was injured before they played quite well and won a lot of games, only when he returned did they start dropping points.

I am still hoping City do the quadruple, so it shows the treble United go on about isn't unique yet the unbeaten season is.

Think we win 4 out of the last 6 should be enough. None of the other teams are consistent either.

Mac76
10-04-2019, 01:31 PM
although when he was injured before they played quite well and won a lot of games, only when he returned did they start dropping points.

I am still hoping City do the quadruple, so it shows the treble United go on about isn't unique yet the unbeaten season is.

Think we win 4 out of the last 6 should be enough. None of the other teams are consistent either.

i didn't watch the game but the results say Citeh are running out of steam and could end up with just the League Cup to show for their season

Guardiola might regret giving the League Cup so much attention at this rate, and even the FAC - talking about quadruples is all very well, but who's going to complain at 'just' winning the PL and CL anyway? he's not won the CL with Citeh yet so you'd have thought he'd really focus on that plus the PL - i'd have thrown the cups if i was him

Marc Overmars
10-04-2019, 01:33 PM
They’ve got the squad to cope, if any team should be capable of winning the lot it is them.

Letters
10-04-2019, 01:50 PM
i didn't watch the game but the results say Citeh are running out of steam and could end up with just the League Cup to show for their season
:blink:

Since the league Cup final they won the next 8 games in a row and then lost last night.

SMatthews
10-04-2019, 02:03 PM

4 out of the last 6 would do it - 75/76 points should be enough to secure top four.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
10-04-2019, 02:59 PM
They’ve got the squad to cope, if any team should be capable of winning the lot it is them.

Yup.

selassie
15-04-2019, 03:04 PM
4 out of the last 6 would do it - 75/76 points should be enough to secure top four.

I think 4 wins and a draw. So 13 points. I am hoping we win tonight and at Burnley, win both our home games and also get a point at Leicester. Wolves away is a loss for me.

Mac76
15-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Wolves away is a loss for me.

i'm not so sure having seen therir result at the weekend - if we can just be more positive in our approach to away games they may be on the beach by then

SMatthews
15-04-2019, 04:54 PM
I think 4 wins and a draw. So 13 points. I am hoping we win tonight and at Burnley, win both our home games and also get a point at Leicester. Wolves away is a loss for me.

I’m basing it on the previous two seasons - going by the table at this point during those two seasons, 3/4th seem to be on track for roughly the same points at the moment. All four teams have been pretty inconsistent for one reason or another, so I can’t see that changing in the coming weeks.

Letters
16-04-2019, 12:58 PM
https://i.ibb.co/3fj6XxW/Top4.jpg

Letters
16-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Could be Spurs and us, you know :popcorn:

Have to say after the City game I can't see Spurs dropping any points.

SMatthews
16-04-2019, 01:15 PM
We never thought Spurs would be in this position a month ago, so who knows.

Chelsea haven't been much cop since the start of the year away from home and Utd have lost more than they've won recently.

Either way we're in a very good position at the moment.

Letters
16-04-2019, 01:55 PM
I see City are playing 2 of the top 6, all Liverpool's games are very winnable.
Could be Liverpool's year and, to be fair, you'd have to say they deserve it if they finish above City this year.

fakeyank
16-04-2019, 01:56 PM
I think Emery should really challenge the team to win the remaining games. They are all winnable with the wolves away game being a hard game on paper, but if we can go on a winning run at the end of the season, it'll give that extra motivation for next season and potentially bode very well for our EL run as well (if we get away from the Napoli game unscathed).

Letters
16-04-2019, 02:07 PM
Can't see us winning Wolves away.
The rest are winnable but with our away form...
We're going to be close which is more than we were last year. So I guess that's some progress.

Marc Overmars
16-04-2019, 03:25 PM
It’s Wolves and Leicester that concern me, however the good thing is you’d expect the other teams to be dropping a few more points as well. United in particular have a very tough couple of weeks ahead and given they play Chelsea that is great for us.

Let’s also hope City don’t bottle it this week with their Spurs double header.

We’re in a strong position, one I didn’t expect us to be in if I’m honest. Fingers crossed we can get the job done, it would be gutting to miss out now.

Chippy
17-04-2019, 09:36 PM
They won't.

They bloody might :(

fakeyank
17-04-2019, 09:52 PM
It’s Wolves and Leicester that concern me, however the good thing is you’d expect the other teams to be dropping a few more points as well. United in particular have a very tough couple of weeks ahead and given they play Chelsea that is great for us.

Let’s also hope City don’t bottle it this week with their Spurs double header.

We’re in a strong position, one I didn’t expect us to be in if I’m honest. Fingers crossed we can get the job done, it would be gutting to miss out now.

Spurs going into CL should really shame the fuck out of the entire club. Here we are not sure if we can hold onto a two goal lead against Napoli away from home, and on the other hand these fuckers took the game to city at the Etihad. If this does not get the coach and players fired up for the rest of the season, nothing will..

SMatthews
17-04-2019, 10:21 PM
And yet within the space of a month Spurs also managed to blow a 10 point advantage to drag themselves into a scrap for top four. All with their best team available. They’ve got plenty to be proud of.

Letters
18-04-2019, 06:07 AM
And yet within the space of a month Spurs also managed to blow a 10 point advantage to drag themselves into a scrap for top four. All with their best team available. They’ve got plenty to be proud of.

Last night was remarkable but for all their “brilliance” and for all our “problems” they’re 1 point ahead of us and after this weekend we could be ahead of them with 4 games left.
There isn’t this gulf in class the press - and some Arsenal fans - like to imagine.
They’ve Spursed it up plenty of times this season

Bumble
18-04-2019, 07:07 AM
Last night was remarkable but for all their “brilliance” and for all our “problems” they’re 1 point ahead of us and after this weekend we could be ahead of them with 4 games left.
There isn’t this gulf in class the press - and some Arsenal fans - like to imagine.
They’ve Spursed it up plenty of times this season

although we do spend nearly £100m more a year on salaries than they do. so perhaps they are actually overachieving.

Letters
18-04-2019, 07:52 AM
although we do spend nearly £100m more a year on salaries than they do. so perhaps they are actually overachieving.

That's a fair point. They have over-achieved. No trophies to show for it yet though, please dear God don't let that change this season :sick:

SMatthews
18-04-2019, 08:33 AM

I don’t think salary spend is the gauge it once was. Man Utd spend the most, Chelsea the 3rd highest, Liverpool the 4th and we’re the fifth. And just one look at Ozil’s salary compared to Eriksen’s says it all.

Özim
18-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Been doing really well at home where we've had some really good results and we're well position in the top 4, worry is our away form, defeat to Everton and had Watford had 11 men they'd have probably beaten us as with 10 men they really gave us a tough time and could easily have scored.

My main focus is the Europa though, great result against Napoli at home, not conceding was important, if we score 1 the tie is effectively over, our only worry is that we play like we did again Everton or Watford.

Chippy
18-04-2019, 10:18 AM
That's a fair point. They have over-achieved. No trophies to show for it yet though, please dear God don't let that change this season :sick:

We are all trying not to think about that scenario Letters :violin:

Marc Overmars
18-04-2019, 10:33 AM
That's a fair point. They have over-achieved.

That’s the sickener, they’ve spent nothing and reached a CL semi final. While us and the other top clubs are talking about needing x amount to compete despite being much stronger financially. Shame on everyone.

I hope Liverpool win the league as well to show that being well run and coached can also deliver success, rather than it just purely being down to whoever has the deepest pockets.

SMatthews
21-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Squeaky bum time

Marc Overmars
21-04-2019, 05:16 PM
We will surely need at least 4 points from Leicester and Wolves now.

I think I'm going to give up on 3rd, the only hope there is if Spurs drop some silly points at home with the CL in mind.

Chelsea must be laughing, they're in the driving seat now.

SMatthews
21-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Spurs will qualify, given their home games - although with a thin squad and CL semi’s they could still f it up.

Man Utd are out of it - they need four out of four - with Chavs and City to play.

It’s down to the Chavs and ourselves for the other spot. They’ll have played one more by end of tomorrow, but I’d rather have the points than games in hand. Looking like us vs them in both the league and Europa.

Master Splinter
21-04-2019, 05:48 PM
We're still ahead of Chelsea on goal difference.

Both Spurs and Chelsea recent away form is as bad as ours.

Spurs should therefore be fine and it's a play-off between us and Chelsea to see who can be less shit.

Marc Overmars
21-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Bollocks to this I say. Let’s win the Europa League.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
21-04-2019, 06:16 PM

We've already lost 2 of those outside top 6 games and have 2 coming in quick succession- I think we'll know our top 4 fate within a week.

Mac76
21-04-2019, 06:25 PM
It's the Europa league or nothing - we had to win that game but thanks to Emery's over-caution and mustafi being a fucking cunt top four is extremely unlikely IMO

Bumble
21-04-2019, 06:28 PM
still fancy us to get top 4. Chelsea still to play United and United still to play City. If United win both I will be stunned. We will seal 4th place last game of the season.

SMatthews
21-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Only just, but it’s still in our hands.

SMatthews
22-04-2019, 08:54 PM
Shittest race ever.

AFC Leveller
23-04-2019, 07:58 AM
Chelsea drawing yesterday leaves the door open for us. A win tomorrow night is absolutely crucial.

Burnley away will be tough but if they are safe by then (they are more or less) then it should be less tricky. However, Dyche is a cunt and will want to get one over us.

Marc Overmars
23-04-2019, 09:26 AM
I think it's going to the final day now but if we win tomorrow we will be favourites for 4th. So come on Arsenal you morons, you owe us one after that disaster the other day.

Globalgunner
23-04-2019, 09:48 AM
I think it's going to the final day now but if we win tomorrow we will be favourites for 4th. So come on Arsenal you morons, you owe us one after that disaster the other day.

If only we could find a way not to play Mustafi in the remaining games. We might have a chance. Worst part is that coming 4th might not guarantee CL if we allow Chelsea win EL. Best outcome is if we came 3rd AND won the EL. Im guessing in that scenario 4th place would still be a CL place. Hopefully Chelsea beat the Spuds to 4th

Marc Overmars
23-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Nah we will qualify if we finish in the top 4 and Chelsea win the EL.

5 teams from the same league can be in the CL, like when United won it a couple years ago but finished 6th.

Özim
23-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Nah we will qualify if we finish in the top 4 and Chelsea win the EL.

5 teams from the same league can be in the CL, like when United won it a couple years ago but finished 6th.

No there's a new rule, if a team wins the CL and is in the top 4 only 4 teams go in, likewise if a team win the Europa and are in the top 4, only 4 teams will go into next seasons CL.