PDA

View Full Version : Cricket World Cup England & Wales 2019 (30/05 - 14/07)

Pages : 1 [2]

Mac76
15-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Well it was six so there :sulk:

Fair enough, i'll let the cricketing authorities know there's a misprint in the rulebook :lol:

dazthegooner
15-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Fair enough, i'll let the cricketing authorities know there's a misprint in the rulebook :lol:

And I'm sure they will amend it accordingly :good:

LDG
15-07-2019, 07:59 PM
England are clearly the best one day team in the world.

Just like all teams at the top, you get the rub.

Utd did it for years.

Why is it a great match/day is being spoiled by fuckwits. Just shut up and deal with it.

Letters
15-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Fair play to the NZ lads for the sportsmanship too...
In most other sports the players show up footballers for the pricks they are.

Mac76
15-07-2019, 09:25 PM
England are clearly the best one day team in the world.

Just like all teams at the top, you get the rub.

Utd did it for years.

Why is it a great match/day is being spoiled by fuckwits. Just shut up and deal with it.

And of course you'd be saying exactly the same about New Zealand if it was the other way round... :rolleyes:

If something's wrong, it's wrong - it doesn't metter who profits from it or who doesn't

SMatthews
15-07-2019, 10:26 PM
In most other sports the players show up footballers for the pricks they are.

There’s plenty of gamesmanship and cheating that goes on in every other sport - it just isn’t under the same intense spotlight as football.

Letters
16-07-2019, 09:09 PM
There’s plenty of gamesmanship and cheating that goes on in every other sport - it just isn’t under the same intense spotlight as football.

No, there really isn't.
I've seen snooker players call fouls against themselves. Tennis players generally seem to be decent and honest.
I'm not saying football is the only sport where cheating goes on but it's one of the worst.
Players diving around, kicking the ball out then demanding a corner. You don't get that sort of shit so endemic in most other sports.

Marc Overmars
16-07-2019, 09:37 PM
The thing is with other sports contentious rulings are few and far between mainly because compared to football not much is open to interpretation thanks to the advanced use of technology.

SMatthews
16-07-2019, 09:58 PM
No, there really isn't.
I've seen snooker players call fouls against themselves. Tennis players generally seem to be decent and honest.
I'm not saying football is the only sport where cheating goes on but it's one of the worst.
Players diving around, kicking the ball out then demanding a corner. You don't get that sort of shit so endemic in most other sports.

Not having that at all. As MO says above, if laws were more open to individual interpretation it would be just as rife elsewhere. Sports people in every game push the limits as much as possible to gain an advantage. Even in tennis it goes on, whether it’s taking strategic toilet breaks, calling for an unneeded on court medical, taking an age to serve, using Hawkeye to break up and slow down play if needed - it’s nonsense to think players in every top level sport aren’t looking to make gains in every way possible.

Letters
17-07-2019, 08:26 AM
The thing is with other sports contentious rulings are few and far between mainly because compared to football not much is open to interpretation thanks to the advanced use of technology.

It's more than that. There is just a different culture in different sports.
Long before technology game into Rugby there was a completely different attitude towards referees in that sport.

Sports people in every game push the limits as much as possible to gain an advantage
Why would a snooker player call a foul against himself then? That's literally doing something which advantages your opponent.
Federer does something similar here, saying "that was very close" when he could tell the fault may have been called wrongly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHCXOfCfXps

In football players literally kick the ball out and then appeal for a throw in.
I literally don't understand how you can't see a different in attitude in the sports.

Mac76
17-07-2019, 09:08 AM
It's more than that. There is just a different culture in different sports.
Long before technology game into Rugby there was a completely different attitude towards referees in that sport.

Why would a snooker player call a foul against himself then? That's literally doing something which advantages your opponent.
Federer does something similar here, saying "that was very close" when he could tell the fault may have been called wrongly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHCXOfCfXps

In football players literally kick the ball out and then appeal for a throw in.
I literally don't understand how you can't see a different in attitude in the sports.

well the Hopman Cup's clearly some Mickey Mouse tournament that Federer's not bothered about - let's see him do it in a Grand Slam final...

SMatthews
17-07-2019, 09:10 AM
@Letters

You're picking up on small, one-off instances from other sports and blowing them up as the norm, when they're not. There's a list as long as your arm of snooker players who have been caught match fixing, for example. You even mention rugby - let's not get into the whole fake blood shenangins that was rife across the game. Have a read of this if you want too (https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/champions-cup/neil-francis-frightening-how-quickly-cheating-has-become-the-norm-in-rugby-36241263.html).

One-off instances happen in football too. As I explained above with tennis, when you spend more time watching a sport, you become more aware of the way players bend, push and break the rules.

The tennis and cricket was amazing on Sunday, but let's not get carried away that the sports are played by saints.

As always, sport is a reflection of society, which means cheating and trying to get one step ahead of everyone else at any cost happens anywhere you care to pay attention to closely enough.

Mac76
17-07-2019, 09:16 AM
@Letters

The tennis and cricket was amazing on Sunday, but let's not get carried away that the sports are played by saints.

i'm not convinced Stokes was entirely innocent in the 'rebound' incident either...

SMatthews
17-07-2019, 09:19 AM
Possibly but it's impossible to really tell and I'm sure any other player would've done the same too in the same situation.

Letters
17-07-2019, 09:31 AM
@Letters
I'm not. But are you denying that the level of respect for officials in, say, Rugby is different from football?
I'm not saying other sports don't have any cheats in. And sure, you can cherry pick instances to back up any point so fine, I'll accept that.
But cheating is more ingrained in football than in other sports.
Just my observation from watching sport.

SMatthews
17-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Read the rugby link I posted above, that might give you a different perspective.

Letters
17-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Read the rugby link I posted above, that might give you a different perspective.

Interesting, and parts of that imply that it's a relatively recent problem in Rugby. Historically it always seemed to me there are far more respect in Rugby - I rarely watch it because it bores me, but I don't think you get the players surrounding the referee and screaming in their face like you do in football.
I couldn't find stats to back this up but my perception from watching sport generally is that cheating is is far more ingrained in the culture of football than some other sports.

Letters
17-07-2019, 09:48 AM
I did find this which implies I'm not alone in this opinion

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jun/29/cheating-football-germany-goalkeeper

SMatthews
17-07-2019, 09:59 AM
I did find this which implies I'm not alone in this opinion

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jun/29/cheating-football-germany-goalkeeper

Although, that article is a good 9 years old now and a lot has changed since then as the article above suggest. Whether or not rugby players respect the ref kind of goes out of the window if they are cheating on the field trying to undermine them at every turn - it's perhaps even more devious. I think rugby authorities protect their officials even more - if you touch one you are likely to get banned. You might get sent off in football, but there will rarely be any retrospective action and a lot of refs are more lenient. I'm not for a second saying footballers don't cheat and do everything they can to get one up on each other, but I do think other sports people will do it in every other instance wherever they can in the modern age. It's just a societal thing.

Letters
17-07-2019, 10:34 AM
I think sports have different cultures, the types of people who go into those sports have different attitudes.
I'm trying not to use the word "class", but that is a factor certainly in the UK.