PDA

View Full Version : Koscielny refuses the US tour

McNamara That Ghost...
11-07-2019, 09:49 AM
https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-statement-laurent-koscielny

Very weird. Not sure if it's because he doesn't want to travel so much given the plethora of injuries we've had but it seems very out of character.

Özim
11-07-2019, 09:52 AM
That's the end of him then, not a bad thing he's injury prone, error prone and at the tail end of his career.

Odd Arsenal would put that on Arsenal.com however, they don't usually announce stuff like this, he'll be sold after this.

However judging from our transfer activity so far and the fact we've shown no interest in CB except for a guy we're going to loan back for a year, this could mean we barely have a decent CB to start the season.

Mac76
11-07-2019, 10:06 AM
i suspect they are somehow trying to force him to leave the club without whatever payoff he'd normally be due by saying he's breaching contract.

frankly, whatever the ccirumstances, after the service he's given this club, i think that's a pretty shoddy way to treat him - the club should sort it out behind closed doors ffs, not feed him to the lions.

Özim
11-07-2019, 10:08 AM
i suspect they are somehow trying to force him to leave the club without whatever payoff he'd normally be due by saying he's breaching contract.

frankly, whatever the ccirumstances, after the service he's given this club, i think that's a pretty shoddy way to treat him - the club should sort it out behind closed doors ffs, not feed him to the lions.

He's the one that decided he wasn't going on the US tour though, if he hadn't their would be no breach so he's brought it on himself, he's paid by the club and he can't pick and choose unless the club allow it, otherwise every player could decided they didn't fancy playing when it didn't suit them.

SMatthews
11-07-2019, 10:11 AM
https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-statement-laurent-koscielny

Very weird. Not sure if it's because he doesn't want to travel so much given the plethora of injuries we've had but it seems very out of character.

He said during the previous summer that he had planned to return to France before he picked up the injury in the semi final.

What is even stranger is that we've made a statement about it. Not something we usually do unless forced to. Maybe he wants out but we aren't letting him as we're not signing anyone in defence.

Ralpheroo72
11-07-2019, 10:20 AM
Who’s funding our Twitter feed, because it ain’t Stan

Marc Overmars
11-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Very out of character and even more bizarre that the club have publically come out and slammed him for it.

Fuck him anyway, his body isn't up to it anymore so hopefully this is an easy way to get rid of him. Anyone who doesn't turn up for team duties can do one.

Gooner23
11-07-2019, 10:44 AM
Don't really see the benefit of making this so public

Xhaka Can’t
11-07-2019, 10:47 AM
We’re at the point now where it probably wouldn’t matter if we wanted to splash the cash to strengthen the team.

Who’d want to voluntarily come and join the mess we’ve created?

Özim
11-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Don't really see the benefit of making this so public

I guess it allows the club to dismiss him if they want to, so if they can't find a buyer they could let him go and pay nothing. Might even drum up some interest when clubs see they might be able to get him.

Mac76
11-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Very out of character and even more bizarre that the club have publically come out and slammed him for it.

Fuck him anyway, his body isn't up to it anymore so hopefully this is an easy way to get rid of him. Anyone who doesn't turn up for team duties can do one.

charming

if his body isn’t up to it, it’s because he was run into the ground by Wenger and then Emery, and he played whenever he was asked and threw his body on the line every time

shame the club and some people on here don’t have a bit more loyalty to someone who may well not be able to walk in his later life because he never held back on the pitch, and all for a team that was in decline

Letters
11-07-2019, 10:53 AM
if his body isn’t up to it, it’s because he was run into the ground by Wenger and then Emery, and he played whenever he was asked and threw his body on the line every time

That is literally his job and he gets paid an obscene amount of money to do it.

dostoy
11-07-2019, 10:58 AM
He and a few others need to go anyway.

SMatthews
11-07-2019, 11:19 AM

Pretty much. There’s other ways to deal with this and as the club captain to refuse to travel shows him up to be a massive prick, regardless of his history.

Özim
11-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Bordeaux have offered him a 3 year deal apparently.

SMatthews
11-07-2019, 11:24 AM
And what a dickhead way to end your time at a club that will define you as a player when you retire. 9 years to end it like this?

SMatthews
11-07-2019, 11:26 AM
charming

shame the club and some people on here don’t have a bit more loyalty to someone who may well not be able to walk in his later life because he never held back on the pitch, and all for a team that was in decline

His body seems up to it enough to want to move to another club. If he’s in that much pain, retire. The minimum we expect from any player is ‘giving their all’ - you get no bonus points for that.

Bumble
11-07-2019, 11:36 AM
His body seems up to it enough to want to move to another club. If he’s in that much pain, retire. The minimum we expect from any player is ‘giving their all’ - you get no bonus points for that.

maybe English football, the number of league games, the pace of the game. perhaps a slower pace with fewer games might be what he wants.

also he has been with us a long time and might fancy a new challenge for last couple of years.

the worry is that if Kos goes... mustafi might stay.

SMatthews
11-07-2019, 11:45 AM
maybe English football, the number of league games, the pace of the game. perhaps a slower pace with fewer games might be what he wants.

also he has been with us a long time and might fancy a new challenge for last couple of years.

the worry is that if Kos goes... mustafi might stay.

He wanted to leave last summer but that plan was knackered with the injury.

All of that is fine, but don’t act like a dickhead when the club tells you you aren’t going. We’d be letting him go for free, which makes no sense from our point of view.

Not sure what it says about about our recruitment plans though (although it’s pretty transparent already I guess).

KSE Comedy Club
11-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Sell him, he's shit

McNamara That Ghost...
11-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Maybe they've come out publically because he is, in theory when he actually appears our captain?

I think I prefer this stance of ours to what I recall was the consequences for Gallas or the consequences when Sol (though I can't remember if he was our on the pitch captain) in the 2-3 defeat to West Ham.

Most would jump at the chance to a jolly-up Stateside so it's possible there's a lot more to this.

Bumble
11-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Sell him, he's shit

doesn't always work though Mustafi, Xhaka, Elneny, Ozil, Mukhi etc

SMatthews
11-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Maybe they've come out publically because he is, in theory when he actually appears our captain?

I think I prefer this stance of ours to what I recall was the consequences for Gallas or the consequences when Sol (though I can't remember if he was our on the pitch captain) in the 2-3 defeat to West Ham.

Most would jump at the chance to a jolly-up Stateside so it's possible there's a lot more to this.

I tend to agree. Plus in this world of PR wars, it ensures we are proactive rather than trying to deflect some agent bs.

Munchies
11-07-2019, 12:47 PM
He's a wanker

We've stuck by him through everything

LDG
11-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Club have done well and stood up to him.

Out of character or not, it was a dick move.

Fair play to the club for telling him where he can get off. Certainly beats some of the cotton wool treatment in the Wenger era.

hobson's choice
11-07-2019, 01:26 PM
He wants to leave and terminate his contract. Why do we have a problem with this?

Isn't this what We want. Just let the man go to Ligue 1. And get that wage off the books

Gooner23
11-07-2019, 02:27 PM
He wants to leave and terminate his contract. Why do we have a problem with this?

Isn't this what We want. Just let the man go to Ligue 1. And get that wage off the books

Can only assume we would prefer him to stick around for his final year whilst we try and get some money for Mustafi and Chambers.

Mavropanos must be earmarked for a season loan which leaves only Sokratis and Holding. Even with a new CB we still look short there. Unless we just rely on the youngsters.

dostoy
11-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Partly yes.

He has 1 more year on his contract so his next club will have to pay a transfer fee.

£5 should be enough.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
11-07-2019, 06:00 PM
Absolute Shameful actions by our supposed captain and very naive actions by the club to make a statement. It neither adds peace of mind to the situation nor strengthens our negotiating hand.

Of course he can go, but he like any player has a price that the club have valued him at. You can't just walk when you feel like it. Do as you're fuhking told.

Mac76
11-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Just because Kos gets more money than us doesn't mean he can't argue against being treated unfairly

After all the knocks he's had he probably wants a really good rest ahead of next season instead of playing in the Kroenke's bullshit tour

The club's at fault here for going public when there was no need - not very clever to publicly attack a player during the transfer window when you're trying to convince players this is a good club to sign for is it????????

SMatthews
11-07-2019, 10:09 PM
What are you, his bloody mum? :lol:

Mac76
12-07-2019, 06:32 AM
What are you, his bloody mum? :lol:

Shhhhh ;)

I am invisible
12-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Who gets the armband then? It’s not exactly a staggering list of candidates...

I am invisible
12-07-2019, 07:20 AM
Emery’s “5 captains” :rose:

Marc Overmars
12-07-2019, 07:35 AM
Just because Kos gets more money than us doesn't mean he can't argue against being treated unfairly

After all the knocks he's had he probably wants a really good rest ahead of next season instead of playing in the Kroenke's bullshit tour

The club's at fault here for going public when there was no need - not very clever to publicly attack a player during the transfer window when you're trying to convince players this is a good club to sign for is it????????

It's got nothing to do with wanting a rest. :lol:

Bordeaux have offered him a 3 year deal which is much better than the contract we put on the table for him. So like a little bitch he's told the club to terminate his contract so he can move and now he's gone on strike to force the clubs hand.

We could have done with him to see out his final year because of our current situation in defence. What a shit captain and wanker he has proven himself to be.

Marc Overmars
12-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Who gets the armband then? It’s not exactly a staggering list of candidates...

Someone who plays near enough every game and is currently on a long term deal.

Xhaka...

I am invisible
12-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Someone who plays near enough every game and is currently on a long term deal.

Xhaka...

Mustafi gets my vote - I can't think of anyone better who embodies this club and it's current values.

SMatthews
12-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Bellerin - when he returns?

Özim
12-07-2019, 08:38 AM

Bordeaux have offered him a 3 year deal which is much better than the contract we put on the table for him. So like a little bitch he's told the club to terminate his contract so he can move and now he's gone on strike to force the clubs hand.

We could have done with him to see out his final year because of our current situation in defence. What a shit captain and wanker he has proven himself to be.

Spot on, this guy has been a liability over the years anyhow with his crucial errors in big games. Another typical footballer, only interested in money, very unprofessional one at that.

What makes me laugh is we plucked this guy out of nowhere, he was a nobody and probably would have never been signed by any big club, he's been injured so many times it's been untrue and yet he throws his toys out of the pram.

He's rubbish anyway so I don't care if he leaves, but the disrespect and unprofessionalism from this overpaid calamity is unreal, if not for us he'd still be a nobody.

Gooner23
12-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Anyone listen to the Arsecast with Ornstein? I know a pinch of salt is required but he definitely has good contacts within the club.

He reckons Mustafi is unlikely to leave this summer. He still has a couple of years left and doesn't want to go, and I cant imagine there will be many suitable offers coming in for him. With Kos now on strike and Holding still recovering from his ACL it's an absolute shambles of a situation to be in.

Not to mention the only deal in or out thats anywhere near close to happening is Saliba and he will be going back to St Etienne for a year. We have 4 weeks to get rid of some of the deadwood and bring in at least 3-4 new players.

Marc Overmars
12-07-2019, 10:15 AM
I don’t actually believe we will be doing much (significant) business anyway. We can’t afford anyone decent for a start, then you’ve got the added handicap of rival clubs being more attractive at the moment as well.

I reckon this year could just be about pressing the reset button, taking stock and hopefully having a new platform to build from next year with a lighter wage bill and added commercial income.

If we’re going to spend what we do have, I hope it is all invested in young players.

SMatthews
12-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Good news is that Utd still have OGS has manager and the Chavs are going to feel the loss of Hazard when they have to rely on Giroud to replace him for goals.

Three clubs in a mess, all vying for one spot.

Bumble
12-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Good news is that Utd still have OGS has manager and the Chavs are going to feel the loss of Hazard when they have to rely on Giroud to replace him for goals.

that is a good point - 3 clubs all with issues doesn't mean we aren't out of a top 4 place. although I don't feel Emery has it in him to when it really counts to make the team step up.

I would actually though add Leicester to that as an outside who could potentially mix it with the top 6. they have some really good young players and also seem to be able to keep hold of mcguire and chilwell for now.

I would let Kos go even for free. free up wages and it is a sad state where a 34yo defender with a poor recent injury record is so vital to the defence.

If we can really do a £60m type deal then scrap the Zaha one and spend it all on the defence, let the youngsters fill the gaps in the attacking positions. Why have a youth set up if you don't use it ever.

SMatthews
12-07-2019, 01:23 PM
that is a good point - 3 clubs all with issues doesn't mean we aren't out of a top 4 place. although I don't feel Emery has it in him to when it really counts to make the team step up.

I would actually though add Leicester to that as an outside who could potentially mix it with the top 6. they have some really good young players and also seem to be able to keep hold of mcguire and chilwell for now.

I would let Kos go even for free. free up wages and it is a sad state where a 34yo defender with a poor recent injury record is so vital to the defence.

If we can really do a £60m type deal then scrap the Zaha one and spend it all on the defence, let the youngsters fill the gaps in the attacking positions. Why have a youth set up if you don't use it ever.

I think he did well enough to get us back in the mix largely using the same squad as the season before, when we were way off. He needs some backing this summer and if so we have as good as chance as Utd/Chavs at getting top four. I don’t believe the effort for Zaha was real and if it was, we won’t go higher than we have as Palace want a large chunk of it upfront.

The gap between 6th and those down to 9th has stayed pretty much the same over the past few years. What those teams lack are goals. They’re a good 15-20 off the pace and that takes a lot of money to cover. I don’t see any of those guys troubling the top 6. As we saw last season, having a good strike force can cover up a lot of issues and I don’t think they will be able to cover up their flaws.

Mac76
12-07-2019, 03:44 PM

The way this club - and country - is going i wouldn't blame anyone for baling tbh...

Master Splinter
12-07-2019, 10:35 PM
Koscielny :lol:.

Never rated the error-prone, injury-plagued, Simpsons Season One Bart Simpson look-alike.

Hope he rots in the reserves women's team Arsenal first team.

Munchies
13-07-2019, 08:50 AM
"My captain, my a**e." ��

"For him to try and force a move away is a disgrace. He’s in a privileged position.”

"They should fine him two weeks wages and and strip him of the captaincy."

Perry Groves slams Laurent Koscielny for trying to force a move from Arsenal.

Video > https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1149634648516915200

Munchies
13-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Leicester and Wolves will shake things up

I am invisible
13-07-2019, 09:14 AM
I don’t actually believe we will be doing much (significant) business anyway. We can’t afford anyone decent for a start, then you’ve got the added handicap of rival clubs being more attractive at the moment as well.

I reckon this year could just be about pressing the reset button, taking stock and hopefully having a new platform to build from next year with a lighter wage bill and added commercial income.

If we’re going to spend what we do have, I hope it is all invested in young players.
:good:

I think it will be exactly that.

To be fair to the guys in charge, they do at least seem to be serious about the focus on younger players. The Ljungberg / Bould reshuffle was a kind of statement of intent on that front, and we’ve just handed out senior squad numbers to Nelson, Willock, Smith Rowe and Nketiah (with Saka also training with the first team out in the States).

Also most of our “transfer business” has been heavily focussed on younger players - it just looks like we’re standing still because we’re so inept at getting deals done and we can’t shift any of the big 3/4 that everyone desperately wants out.

I just hope we don’t sabotage it all by setting a load of unrealistic targets - if we put Emery under too much pressure, he’ll just play it safe, fall back on all of the most senior players he has and we’ll probably end up playing worse. As you say, this should be a reset moment: take a step back, start again; establish a shape, establish a style of play and inject new / missing qualities into the side; get the wage bill down to something manageable so we’re not completely hamstrung when it comes to player trading and can comfortably ride out years without CL football; make sure any future big contracts are heavily tied to CL bonuses - if you don’t make the CL, you don’t get that money.

We’ll need to spend something this summer, especially LB and RB where I don’t see much coming through, but there’s also a lot we can be doing internally that wouldn’t involve spending a dime.

SMatthews
13-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Leicester and Wolves will shake things up

How?

KSE Comedy Club
15-07-2019, 10:33 AM
"My captain, my a**e." ��

"For him to try and force a move away is a disgrace. He’s in a privileged position.”

"They should fine him two weeks wages and and strip him of the captaincy."

Perry Groves slams Laurent Koscielny for trying to force a move from Arsenal.

Video > https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1149634648516915200

And then we should sell him afterwards :good:

Mac76
15-07-2019, 11:43 AM
there's a more thoughtful view here, which i agree with:

https://arseblog.com/2019/07/koscielny-is-in-the-wrong-and-arsenal-have-a-real-mess-on-their-hands/

"this is a really sad situation. For someone who has given us great service – with ups and downs like most players – to make his departure as difficult and contentious as possible, is really unfortunate. To feel that he has to behave in this way, that he’s been pushed into the most unprofessional action a player can take – to essentially go on strike – speaks volumes about what’s going on at Arsenal right now."

dazthegooner
15-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Kos could've handled it a bit better rather than saying didn't want to travel to the US as he had a very bad cold so wasn't fit enough (worked for Ozil for most of last season)

Bumble
16-07-2019, 11:52 AM
why cant Ozil, Mukhi and Mustafi take Kos' lead and look for a move away from the club. stop being so "loyal".