PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Barcodes (away)

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Not a particularly fluent performance but it is a win and better that than most of our opening day games recently.

Well done to AMN.

Auba of course for finishing the one decent chance we had.

A clean sheet away from home, equalling the league away total from last season. :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Joe Willock much better than Joe Linton.

dostoy
11-08-2019, 03:10 PM
One good bit, the rest was rubbish.

Mikhi was terrible and should not play again.

Massive improvement needed.

Xhaka Can’t
11-08-2019, 03:11 PM
That was a tidy finish by Aruba.

It was a forgettable match, but 3 points and a clean sheet with nobody getting injured will do for me.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
11-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Happy to win and keep a clean sheet but this was easily the weakest performance by any of the top 6 so far. If it had been any of the other guys, Newcastle would have taken a real hiding.

The main positive from this game was Wilock's performance, I think he is good and earnest enough to make a contribution this season. Nelson was average and I'm not sure he is ready yet, however I did like all the deadball situations he was involved in, he's far better than Xhaka in delivery.

Chambers did ok, but he seemed too eager to clear or lash out and everything and was clearly unsure of himself. Guendozi had a generally good game. AMN's assist was great and going forward he his just as good as Bellerin, but honestly in a top game, he will be found out defensively and be as calamitous as Mustafi.

The most worrying thing was that only one player looked like scoring all through the game..... and it seems this is what our season is going to be- heavily reliant on Laca and Auba goals, which obviously is not a good thing for a supposed top team.

I am invisible
11-08-2019, 03:44 PM
We’ve only got about 1/4 of our best XI out at the moment, so I’ll take an away win and a clean sheet any way it comes.

I did wonder if Emery might rotate Auba and Laca this year, rather than playing Auba on the wing...

Unai Tea
11-08-2019, 03:49 PM
The most worrying thing was that only one player looked like scoring all through the game..... and it seems this is what our season is going to be- heavily reliant on Laca and Auba goals, which obviously is not a good thing for a supposed top team.

Which is why we bought Pepe?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
11-08-2019, 04:01 PM
We’ve only got about 1/4 of our best XI out at the moment, so I’ll take an away win and a clean sheet any way it comes.

I did wonder if Emery might rotate Auba and Laca this year, rather than playing Auba on the wing...

Most have assumed he won't, but you're right he may well do that....

I think with the sale of Iwobi, he will be less inclined to though.

I am invisible
11-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Most have assumed he won't, but you're right he may well do that....

I think with the sale of Iwobi, he will be less inclined to though.
I think it’s probably the last-minute loan of Nketiah that’s made his mind up.

Has to be a tactical decision though. Laca’s had the whole summer off, so he must have been fit and ready - with so many other players still working their way back to fitness I can’t think why else he’d be on the bench?

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Lacazette has not been fit and ready, he was injured in pre-season.

Master Splinter
11-08-2019, 04:28 PM
I think it’s probably the last-minute loan of Nketiah that’s made his mind up.

Has to be a tactical decision though. Laca’s had the whole summer off, so he must have been fit and ready - with so many other players still working their way back to fitness I can’t think why else he’d be on the bench?

Laca picked up a knock when he came off early in the Lyon friendly. Only trained fully in the last few days. Similarly, Pepe hasn't trained much with the team either after his AFCON participation.

hobson's choice
11-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Emery ball is really hard to watch. Basically just run around, and hope our strikers create something outta nothing.

We still gonna struggle to create chances playing Emery(work rate) ball. Just hope our strikers can keep up their high conversion rate.

Letters
11-08-2019, 05:02 PM
A clean sheet away from home, equalling the league away total from last season. :haha:

:wacko:

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2019, 05:20 PM
And that came in April. :lol:

Letters
11-08-2019, 05:45 PM
And that came in April. :lol:

:wacko:

If we can just sort out that away form this year then while we won’t trouble the top 2 we’ll be a shoo in for top 4

Mac76
11-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Newcastle played pretty dirty and should have ended up with 4-5 bookings at least - Atkinson was poor

we held our nerve though and given it was a maskeshift we side did well enough - the goal was a great pass and finish

Mhki was awful, everyone else ok though it took a while for Auba to find hiis touch

Marc Overmars
11-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Missed the game but sounded much like a lot of our away performances over the past couple of years.

Still, a clean sheet and a win to start the season with a lot of regulars missing. I’ll take that.

On we go.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2019, 07:20 PM
It was far more comfortable than our usual away performances, that might speak to the attributes of Newcastle's players but it was pleasant not being overly concerned we only had a 0-1 lead for once.

LDG
11-08-2019, 07:30 PM
That Maxi bloke had me worried to start off with, but the rest of the barcodes were a little bit shit.

They took off Shelvey who seemed to be he one breaking up our play, so Mrs Doubtfire did us a favour there.

Mac76
11-08-2019, 07:35 PM
That Maxi bloke had me worried to start off with, but the rest of the barcodes were a little bit shit.

They took off Shelvey who seemed to be he one breaking up our play, so Mrs Doubtfire did us a favour there.

:lol:

I am invisible
11-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Lacazette has not been fit and ready, he was injured in pre-season.

Laca picked up a knock when he came off early in the Lyon friendly. Only trained fully in the last few days. Similarly, Pepe hasn't trained much with the team either after his AFCON participation.
Ah... :good:

Gooner23
11-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Really does sound like Mustafi's time is up. Not in the squad today and Emery only spoke about the other 4 CBs post match. Basically telling him if he wants to play regular footy this season he'll need to leave.

SMatthews
11-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Pleased with that start. Starting the season with a win - and an away win - hopefully bodes well.

Defence looked comfortable, and although Newcastle didn’t really trouble us, it hasn’t stopped us dropping needless points in similar games in the past.

Plus we managed to give some youngsters game time, plus introduce two new additions in trouble-free circumstances.

Clean sheet, three points and the we’ve got the ball rolling the right way.

Chippy
11-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Pleased with that start. Starting the season with a win - and an away win - hopefully bodes well.

Defence looked comfortable, and although Newcastle didn’t really trouble us, it hasn’t stopped us dropping needless points in similar games in the past.

Plus we managed to give some youngsters game time, plus introduce two new additions in trouble-free circumstances.

Clean sheet, three points and the we’ve got the ball rolling the right way.
Absolutely right!
Did not realise we had so many playets missing today. Good win under difficult circumstances.

I am invisible
12-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Absolutely right!
Did not realise we had so many players missing today. Good win under difficult circumstances.

Bellerin
Tierney
Kolasinac
Luiz
Holding
Torreira
Ceballos
Özil
Pepe
Lacazette

None of the above started yesterday, so we're a long way off our best starting XI right now...

Özim
12-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Decent result with what was largely last seasons team, a 1-0 away away you have to take, not the best performance but it was a tough start.

Bumble
12-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Decent result with what was largely last seasons team, a 1-0 away away you have to take, not the best performance but it was a tough start.

wouldn't say Newcastle is a tough start. they are defensively solid still but 2/3s of their strikers have gone and the other didn't score a goal. it is odd though... no mustafi and we keep a clean sheet.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
12-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Bellerin
Tierney
Kolasinac
Luiz
Holding
Torreira
Ceballos
Özil
Pepe
Lacazette

None of the above started yesterday, so we're a long way off our best starting XI right now...

Crikey....arguably 8 first teamers!

I am invisible
12-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Crikey....arguably 8 first teamers!

Yeah, potentially 7 or 8 still to come into the first team, depending on who you see as our best CB and CM combo.

On the downside, we've got Liverpool, spufs and man u before the end of September, and I've got a horrible feeling that's gonna be too soon for Bellerin and maybe Tierney and Holding. We'll see.

GP
12-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Yeah, potentially 7 or 8 still to come into the first team, depending on who you see as our best CB and CM combo.

On the downside, we've got Liverpool, spufs and man u before the end of September, and I've got a horrible feeling that's gonna be too soon for Bellerin and maybe Tierney and Holding. We'll see.

Definitely too soon for BEllers and Tierney. Holding might be available by then.

fakeyank
12-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Based on what I saw of Chambers yesterday, I am a little less concerned if Holding is not available for those games. Although it was just one game, and it was against Newcastle.

I just hope our attack is more fluid by then. Yesterdays game showed no signs that our sideways and backways passing has gone away.. way too long in the game, all we did was pass aimlessly at the back and make no effort to bring it out quick.

I am invisible
12-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Definitely too soon for BEllers and Tierney. Holding might be available by then.

Holding sounds like he's almost there, but it might take hime a while to get his sharpness back.

Guess there's no need to rush him back though, if Sokratis, Luiz and Chambers can stay fit for a few weeks...

I am invisible
12-08-2019, 03:18 PM
Based on what I saw of Chambers yesterday, I am a little less concerned if Holding is not available for those games. Although it was just one game, and it was against Newcastle.

I just hope our attack is more fluid by then. Yesterdays game showed no signs that our sideways and backways passing has gone away.. way too long in the game, all we did was pass aimlessly at the back and make no effort to bring it out quick.

Chambers is fine for a 4th-choice CB. And if he allows us sell Mustafi and Elneny then he's arguably already our player of the season.

Any signs of our players pressing any better from the front (or being more resistant to it at the back)?

Özim
12-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Chambers is fine for a 4th-choice CB. And if he allows us sell Mustafi and Elneny then he's arguably already our player of the season.

Any signs of our players pressing any better from the front (or being more resistant to it at the back)?

I think Chambers has shown over the years that he's not a good defender, whether at full back or centre back. He was decent as DM for Fulham I believe but I just don't think he's cut out to play in defence and his performances over the years support that.

Even Fulham chose not to play him there.

I am invisible
12-08-2019, 04:10 PM
I think Chambers has shown over the years that he's not a good defender, whether at full back or centre back. He was decent as DM for Fulham I believe but I just don't think he's cut out to play in defence and his performances over the years support that.

Even Fulham chose not to play him there.

He's not Mustafi - that'll do for now.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
12-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Holdings already done a 90 minutes recently so I expect him to be breathing down the other lots necks soon.

SMatthews
12-08-2019, 09:54 PM
He was supposed to come back after the first international break. Either way, he has to be reintroduced carefully at first. We’ve got enough cover until then.

Mac76
13-08-2019, 09:34 AM
it would be nice to have him back for the Liverpool match although he'd need to be up to speed

both that and the Spuds game have come a little early in the season for my liking, given our new personnel will need some time to bed in

SMatthews
13-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Aside from the hammering we took at Anfield, we faired better against the top sides last season. No need to go into these games with any fear (taken from Blue Moon):

1) City | P10 | W8 | D1 | L1 | F20 | A5 | GD15 | PTS 25
2) Liverpool | P10 | W5 | D4 | L1 | F17 | A8 | GD9 | PTS 19
3) Arsenal | P10 | W3 | D3 | L4 | F16 | A19 | GD-3 | PTS 12
4) Chelsea | P10 | W3 | D3 | L4 | F12 | A19 | GD-7 | PTS 12
5) Spurs | P10 | W2 | D1 | L7 | F11 | A15 | GD-4 | PTS 7
6) United | P10 | W1 | D3 | L5 | F8 | A18 | GD-10 | PTS 7

Marc Overmars
13-08-2019, 10:44 AM
We’ve been battered far too many times at Anfield now for there not to be any concerns. Klopp has had our number ever since he turned up there.

Letters
13-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Expecting a loss but I'd be disappointed with a battering. If we're serious about this top 4 nonsense then we have to go into these games hoping we can get something.

Özim
13-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Anfield is one of those places you can't go to with a dodgy defence, because once they get going they're unstoppable.

Hopefully our defence will fare better this time round.

SMatthews
13-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Expecting a loss but I'd be disappointed with a battering. If we're serious about this top 4 nonsense then we have to go into these games hoping we can get something.

I won't go in expecting a loss, but I know it's a bloody hard place to get a win, especially with their current team. As you say, I can accept anything other than a battering.

As long as we maintain our home form of the past couple of years, and grab an extra 3/4 wins away from home, then that's the improvement we need to progress for now.

Letters
13-08-2019, 12:09 PM
:haha:

Mac76
13-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Anfield is one of those places you can't go to with a dodgy defence, because once they get going they're unstoppable.

We'll need to work to keep the ball as much as possible.

I'd definitely drop Xhaka for the Liverpool game - we can't afford his 'lapses in judgement'* in a game like that....

* total fuckups

fakeyank
13-08-2019, 02:21 PM