PDA

View Full Version : Ma...rtinelli reaction v Standard Liege (home)

McNamara That Ghost...
03-10-2019, 08:50 PM
Martinellisweb. :bow:

Brazil's finest ever talent is fair to say, aside from Andre Santos.

Tierney's crossing was quite often absolutely pinpoint. What is this sorcery from the full back position?

Willock with a predictably very good contribution and Nelson did alright this time around too.

All comes back to our lord and saviour Gabriel though. :bow:

Mustafi racks up another clean sheet.

Marc Overmars
03-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Will any of these play on Sunday?

Gooner23
03-10-2019, 08:53 PM
Martinelli :bow:

Tierney :bow:

Mustafi :bow:

Master Splinter
03-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Martinelli :bow:.

Could have had 6. Was brilliant up front and on the wing.

Willock :bow:.

This guy is seriously good.

Tierney :bow:.

Probably the best full-back ever.

Mustafi :bow:.

Statistically the best CB in Europe.

Letters
03-10-2019, 09:05 PM
North London 6 - Europe 7 on aggregate this week then.

LDG
03-10-2019, 09:07 PM
North London 6 - Europe 7 on aggregate this week then.

Correction

Middlesex 2 - North London and the rest of the world 11

Letters
03-10-2019, 09:08 PM
:d

Gooner23
03-10-2019, 09:15 PM
A midfield without Xhaka is a pleasure to watch, Ceballos and Torreira were always on the move and looking to get the ball forwards. I really like Ceballos, not everything comes off but he works hard and plays positively.

GP
03-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Enjoyed that.

Martinelli is a baller. Willock too.

I am invisible
03-10-2019, 09:27 PM
Had a feeling Martinelli might be a bit good when he scored that goal with his shoulder in preseason - really impressed with his speed of thought and composure.

Tierney + Auba is going to = a lot of goals.

I am invisible
03-10-2019, 09:55 PM
Emery really confuses the hell out of me: when he plays the kids everything seems to click and you can see that there’s an exciting brand of football there; but when he plays his “best XI” it turns into amateur hour?!

Is he just lucking out with a group of kids who don’t need much coaching, or has he been saddled with a bunch of senior players who are unresponsive to what he’s trying to coach, and maybe too old to learn new tricks?

But then why keep picking them if they keep letting you down (and especially when there’s better options there who are buying into your methods better)? I don’t get it...

Marc Overmars
03-10-2019, 10:08 PM
Emery is too conservative and won’t take any risks for the real stuff. He’s about as vanilla as it gets.

He’ll have to start playing a couple of these guys though, the clamour will be too much to ignore.

Master Splinter
03-10-2019, 10:13 PM
a group of kids who don’t need much coaching

This is probably the most likely explanation. The academy has produced an excellent generation and the newer scouts have picked out some real prospects in Guendouzi and Martinelli. Their technique, attitude and style of play is simply better than that of most of the seniors who have been poorly scouted and don't fit into a traditionally attacking and open outfit like Arsenal.

Emery just seems fearful of going all out and retreats into thinking the seniors are his safest option.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Where the fuhk did Martinelli learn to head a ball!?

I am invisible
03-10-2019, 10:22 PM
Where the fuhk did Martinelli learn to head a ball!?
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Brazil.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-10-2019, 10:26 PM
:lol:

Finally....a replacement for Olivier!

McNamara That Ghost...
04-10-2019, 06:39 AM
https://twitter.com/SemperFiArsenal/status/1180004865377886208?s=20

LDG
04-10-2019, 07:08 AM
I’m trying not to get carried away with Martinelli, but he is probably better than Quaresma

I am invisible
04-10-2019, 07:14 AM
Gabriel Martinelli is all things to all men, and to one lucky lady.

I am invisible
04-10-2019, 07:36 AM
This is probably the most likely explanation. The academy has produced an excellent generation and the newer scouts have picked out some real prospects in Guendouzi and Martinelli. Their technique, attitude and style of play is simply better than that of most of the seniors who have been poorly scouted and don't fit into a traditionally attacking and open outfit like Arsenal.

Emery just seems fearful of going all out and retreats into thinking the seniors are his safest option.
I suppose he does have grounds for some of that fear, if I’m being fair? I mean some of the first team players are (fairly) getting slaughtered by the fans right now for every mistake, so I can understand why he’s maybe reluctant to chuck too many young players into that kind of atmosphere at once.

And we are easing several or these guys either back from injury or into life in England - frustrating as it is, that shouldn’t be rushed.

But I do think he’s maybe underestimated the amount of goodwill there is towards these younger players? The fans can forgive a lot if they can see a bit of fight and pride in wearing the shirt, and simply seeing something fresh and different out there will go a long, long way after years of watching the same players making the same mistakes. It’s the utter tedium and predictability of it that does the most damage, imo...

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-10-2019, 07:40 AM
I raised my eyebrow slightly when I saw Nelson start the first home game of the season and to be honest, that feeling has only cemented. I think he should be behind Saka and Martinelli in the pecking order.

At this rate Pepe should be too mind you! :d

Mac76
04-10-2019, 08:28 AM
:lol:

Finally....a replacement for Olivier!

but one who can actually score goals, run faster than 0.00000000000001 mph and doesn't look like a bearded giraffe

Mac76
04-10-2019, 08:32 AM
I raised my eyebrow slightly when I saw Nelson start the first home game of the season and to be honest, that feeling has only cemented. I think he should be behind Saka and Martinelli in the pecking order.

At this rate Pepe should be too mind you! :d

Nelson's a good player - he had an involvement in at least two of the goals last night and seemed to be starting to build an understanding with Tierney.

he needs more time but i definiely think he should be in and around the first team.

can't argue against playing Saka ahead of him though but given Martinelli seems to work best in the middle and Nelson's normally played on the wing i think you're comparing apples and oranges there

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Emery said after the game that Martinelli prefers playing wide (even though in Brazil he played centrally), which is to the kid's credit. He plays every game as if it is his final audition. So it isn't an apples and oranges comparison....just a young player who can play in more than one position like most young players. He is young enough not to have his position absolutely cemented in any 1 place too.

In any case the point is, if I was asked who I'd rather start wide left in the next game, I would prefer Saka and Martinelli before Nelson. The comparison is there because they are all vying for the wide left spot. We have after all spent 72 mill on the wide right slot which we absolutely need to work now. Nelson did well yesterday and I think that is telling because I think it is more his level than that of the prem.

Mac76
04-10-2019, 12:53 PM
Ok, fair point, though i think Nelson has looked fairly bright in all the games he's played but he jsuust needs time to gain a little more composure at times and adjust to playing some of the more 'combative' teams i think

he's clearly absolutely desperate to impress so that's healthy competition

Marc Overmars
04-10-2019, 03:03 PM
I think Nelson is probably the least impressive out of this batch of kids but at 19 years old it would be churlish to be too hard on him given we only have a small sample of games to work with.

The other kids just seem a little bit more polished and more able to really affect a game in a tangible way.

I am invisible
04-10-2019, 05:02 PM
I’m looking at this more in terms of being delighted that we suddenly have 6 good, balanced options to choose from for those front 3 spots!

Sure, we probably all have an opinion on who the strongest 3 would be, but the reality is we’ll be resting / rotating / subbing these guys throughout the year, so it’s great that there’s lots of different combos there that work.

Özim
05-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Personally, I'm most excited by Martinelli he was very good in pre-season and has performed really well in the Caraboa and the Europa, he creates and scores and is exciting to watch. Deserves his chance.

selassie
08-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Personally, I'm most excited by Martinelli he was very good in pre-season and has performed really well in the Caraboa and the Europa, he creates and scores and is exciting to watch. Deserves his chance.

Yeah Martinelli looks to be the one who could develop and fairly quickly into an elite talent. I like Saka too though, he has a really high ceiling IMO, he's creative, a good dribbler and has a decent shot on him.

Nelson is most definitely the furthest behind, though he did play well the other day in the Europa game.

Smith-Rowe is also a decent talent, albeit a slight crock. Surprising really has he seems the most physically developed out of all the young talents.

All of these guys are good enough to carve out a decent career at the club, the latter as nailed on first team players, Nelson and Smith-Rowe as very credible squad options.

P.S. Forgot to mention Willock, he has developed into a genuine first XI player IMO. I really like him.