LDG
21-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Utter shit.

Gooner23
He has to go. We're awful.

Bumble
Time for emery to go. So much money spent and our midfield is so boring. Its just dull. Keeper makes one decent save.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-10-2019, 08:59 PM
That sucked the big one.

At least we get to watch our best team on Thursday.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-10-2019, 09:01 PM
I dislike Emery more each game.

Pathetic all over the park...nicely teed up by a crap lineup.

Ralpheroo72
21-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Get Allegri in, this guy has no fucking clue! Awful football!!

Letters
21-10-2019, 09:05 PM
15 points after 9 games, we're only 5th because everyone else is terrible.
In Wenger's last season, by a distance his worst, we had 16 points after 9 games.
Emery is taking us nowhere.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-10-2019, 09:11 PM
The good news is, the contract is 3 years NOT 2 years with the option for a 3rd.

Give me strength.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-10-2019, 09:12 PM
GD of 1.

It's embarrassing stuff.

dostoy
21-10-2019, 09:14 PM
What do we all expect ?

Arsenal are a very poor side and this is why it will be a miracle if they get into the top 4 this or any other season.

They don't have the belief away from home, especially against teams that are over physical.

I can't see it EVER changing.

Marc Overmars
21-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Hardly a shock result. We’ve struggled against practically every team in the league away from home, for about 2 years now.

Time to knock it on the head with Emery, it’s not working and he hasn’t got a clue.

Letters
21-10-2019, 09:24 PM
What do we all expect ?
Well. According to some people "anyone" would have been better than our previous manager.
So I expected improvement.
We have, at best, stayed pretty much where we were and we currently have 1 fewer point than we did at this stage of the previous managers reign, by far his worst.
So, yeah. I expected a bit more from Emery. Not miracles but I didn't expect all the same failings we've been complaining about for years still apparent on his second season.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
21-10-2019, 09:24 PM
That sucked the big one.

At least we get to watch our best team on Thursday.

That's the saddest thing about this whole story- he'll play the supposed 2nd team on Thursday and they'll blow our minds with scintillating football.

The coach is a big joke. He doesn't know his strongest team and can't even be bothered to study the opposition (even if you give him 2 weeks to prepare). A truly truly awful manager whose got me pinning for average coaches who get the basics right and get their teams to give their heart.

Two weeks to prepare and everyone fit and he starts the same lineup that has been stinking up the place all season.

Just our luck to be stuck with a truly poor coach in a season where we've got so much potential and all our rivals look considerably weaker.

Globalgunner
21-10-2019, 09:25 PM
Just watch Emery start the next match with exactly the same team.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-10-2019, 09:27 PM
I thought Pepe was our most dangerous player today and generally played well. But his mazy run and shocking miss really reminded me of one of Gervinho's misses when he played for us. :d

dostoy
21-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Well. According to some people "anyone" would have been better than our previous manager.
So I expected improvement.
We have, at best, stayed pretty much where we were and we currently have 1 fewer point than we did at this stage of the previous managers reign, by far his worst.
So, yeah. I expected a bit more from Emery. Not miracles but I didn't expect all the same failings we've been complaining about for years still apparent on his second season.

If Wenger had still been in charge, Arsenal would have been in the relegation places.

He was absolutely diabolical in his last 2 years.

I'm not sure any manager would improve Arsenal enough to get into the CL places in May.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Oh yeah.....This year I can't wait for that fuhking Europa league and those games to come round. Cheap tickets and we actually get to see the best players.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-10-2019, 09:31 PM
I thought Pepe failed to score today because he didn't want to use his right foot.....and I actually thought that was the same reason he didn't score against Liverpool.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-10-2019, 09:31 PM
I thought Pepe was our most dangerous player today and generally played well. But his mazy run and shocking miss really reminded me of one of Gervinho's misses when he played for us. :d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C9OjIVIDhs

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-10-2019, 09:34 PM
That'll be the one!....I think.. :lol:

21_GOONER_SALUTE
21-10-2019, 09:38 PM
Just watch Emery start the next match with exactly the same team.

To think he's getting paid millions to make the "complicated decisions" to:

1. Start practically the same lineup no matter what

2. Make Xhaka our captain and undroppable

3. Always leave your best fullbacks sitting on the bench for the league, our bread and butter

4. Frustrate the hell out of the guy earning the highest wages in the club so he can't even make it on the bench for the juniors anymore

What a masterstroke we pulled off hiring this guy.

Letters
21-10-2019, 09:39 PM
If Wenger had still been in charge, Arsenal would have been in the relegation places.

In this worst ever season we finished 6th, so BULLSHIT.

He was absolutely diabolical in his last 2 years.

In one of those we won the FA Cup. In the other we didn't win anything and this stage we had 1 more point that we have now.
So stop talking bollox. Wenger needed to go, certainly. Emery needs to go now. He's spent a lot of money has fixed none of the problems we have and if anything we're regressing even further under him.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
21-10-2019, 09:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C9OjIVIDhs

Lol..... I knew I started calling him Gervinho for a reason!

Anyway he did have probably his best game today, but when you have an attacking player that you can't rely on to deliver the goods, then whats the point?

Even though Saka was just slightly above average today, he definitely was more meaningful to our attack than Pepe.

Any reasonable coach would realise that our most dangerous front 3 would have to be Auba, Laca and Saka.... for now anyway.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
21-10-2019, 10:06 PM
In this worst ever season we finished 6th, so BULLSHIT.

In one of those we won the FA Cup. In the other we didn't win anything and this stage we had 1 more point that we have now.
So stop talking bollox. Wenger needed to go, certainly. Emery needs to go now. He's spent a lot of money has fixed none of the problems we have and if anything we're regressing even further under him.

I'm not sure why you keep doing this Letters.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that Emery has shown far less ability than AW ever did.... the evidence is overwhelming so far as he's fixed no single problem that we had under AW on the pitch.

However even you repeatedly point out the fact that AW had to go for this club to move forward... and personally even under this clown called Emery, I think we've moved on better than lets say a Man U has in a shorter period of time.

If what you are trying to say is that AW would do a better job with the team as it currently constitutes - I for one say hell yeah! But again if AW had stayed unchallenged, we certainly wouldn't have this team that looks like it can go places ( thats if the problems AW created can finally be addressed).

Marc Overmars
21-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Pepe is quite obviously a player who is only suited to counter attacking. He is going to become a massive flop if we don’t use him that way. I already think he might be a bust.

selassie
21-10-2019, 10:56 PM
It’s very easy for us to be armchair fans and slate Emery. But the facts are he is doing a rotten job and should be on his final warning now.

Defence is a mess, zero improvement since Wenger. Midfield is a mess...zero improvement since Wenger. Offensively we look disjointed. We have 3 top class attackers and can barely trouble Sheffield United.

Emery has made a complete mess of this team, he has got pretty much everything wrong.

Özim
21-10-2019, 11:04 PM
We're going nowhere with Emery, we'd be better off replacing him now and giving another manager the rest of the season to get the squad in the right shape so that he's ready to go next season.

Emery based on what he's been doing doesn't deserve any more time, defensively we're shocking, we now lack creativity as well, he plays people in the wrong positions, picks players time and time again who should be dropped (Kolasinac, Sokratis, Luiz, Xhaka), there's no system and there's no improvement.

We've been awful all season in the league, even games we've won we've been average at best in, on top of that we have no creativity and yet Ozil isn't so much as on the bench.

4th place was literally handed to us on a plate last season and we blew it, it seems to be happening again and yet again it's the same old story.

Özim
21-10-2019, 11:05 PM
It’s very easy for us to be armchair fans and slate Emery. But the facts are he is doing a rotten job and should be on his final warning now.

Defence is a mess, zero improvement since Wenger. Midfield is a mess...zero improvement since Wenger. Offensively we look disjointed. We have 3 top class attackers and can barely trouble Sheffield United.

Emery has made a complete mess of this team, he has got pretty much everything wrong.

Spot on, for me we should replace him ASAP, not waste any more time, if we give him til the end of the season we just lose another year.

Marc Overmars
21-10-2019, 11:24 PM
Yep, get rid now and see if Freddie or anyone else can lay some foundations moving forward.

Emery has changed precisely nothing in terms of the culture and football we play. We’re hopeless.

We tried, we failed. Time to try again and find the right man for the job. We can’t afford to let this idea of giving people time to set in again, especially for coaches with no credit in the bank.

hobson's choice
22-10-2019, 12:19 AM
Just gonna leave this here

Slake (@Cerebrone) Tweeted:
Unai Emery had a team with Baraja, Silva, Mata, Joaquin and Villa but refused to try to keep the ball against NINE men. I’m not kidding. He told his players to hoof it.

They hoofed it randomly. And whenever Madrid picked up the ball, they funneled it to Robben. https://twitter.com/Cerebrone/status/1173323202212372480?s=17

Bumble
22-10-2019, 06:17 AM
Yep, get rid now and see if Freddie or anyone else can lay some foundations moving forward.

Emery has changed precisely nothing in terms of the culture and football we play. We’re hopeless.

We tried, we failed. Time to try again and find the right man for the job. We can’t afford to let this idea of giving people time to set in again, especially for coaches with no credit in the bank.

i agree get rid of Emery, no sign of improvement. We don't have a single midfielder that seems to score goals regularly or able to run with the ball and beat players.

Get Vieira from Nice, seems to be doing a decent job and he will have credit in the bank to buy time. Hopefully he will toughen the players up too.

Gooner23
22-10-2019, 07:02 AM
We have been terrible in the league for nearly a year now. This isn't just a blip, and the longer the manager stays in place the less likely we are to make the top 4. Raul and Edu have a big decision to make, sooner rather than later.

dazthegooner
22-10-2019, 07:19 AM
When I look at some of the players we have a lot of coaches could do so much with them, Emery doesn't know how to use them he won Ligue 1 with PSG yes (which on a par with the Scottish Premiership *sorry*) Emery needs to go now from what I read the people in charge have in it in them to be ruthless so do it we missed out on Rogers who didn't do such at bad job at Liverpool. is there anyone currently available who could take over ASAP we the fans and players need it.

AFC Leveller
22-10-2019, 07:24 AM
I never thought I’d say this but Rodgers would be a decent shout! He has shown with Leicester that he knows what’s he’s doing and his teams are organised and good to watch.

Emery is clueless and a chicken. He is too negative and too scared to take the game to the opposition.

Globalgunner
22-10-2019, 07:48 AM
Emery is useless. Sometimes teams succeed inspite of the coach. This must have been the case at Sevilla. He has been a disaster everywhere since.

Letters
22-10-2019, 09:17 AM
We're going nowhere with Emery, we'd be better off replacing him now and giving another manager the rest of the season to get the squad in the right shape so that he's ready to go next season.

Emery based on what he's been doing doesn't deserve any more time, defensively we're shocking, we now lack creativity as well, he plays people in the wrong positions, picks players time and time again who should be dropped (Kolasinac, Sokratis, Luiz, Xhaka), there's no system and there's no improvement.

We've been awful all season in the league, even games we've won we've been average at best in, on top of that we have no creativity and yet Ozil isn't so much as on the bench.

4th place was literally handed to us on a plate last season and we blew it, it seems to be happening again and yet again it's the same old story.

:)

IBK
22-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Good to see that after all this time you are still talking sense!

Just as deep down we knew when Wenger had become a busted flush, it is crystal clear that Emery is not right for our team - and things will not improve under him. There is no plan. There is no understanding of his team's strengths or how to get the best out of what is actually a decent bunch of players. Most importantly, Emery is a coward in times when other teams are showing what can be achieved with a positive attitude. Emery was hired to solidify the team and instill some tactical nous. He is doing the opposite. We are just as bad defensively as we were under AW - a coach who admitted that he simply allowed his players freedom to express themselves. Yet offensively, with all of the attacking talent at his disposal, our coach appears to have zero idea about how to build a platform and link our forwards with his midfield. Noone can identify what Emery is trying to achieve - and the only logical conclusion is that he does not really have a clue.

I was prepared to see what he could do with some decent signings, yet if anything he has gone backwards since this time last season. His negative and unclear mindset seems to have transmitted itself directly to the players, and while I would not say that he has lost the dressing room yet, for me the players have little or no faith in his methods.

I would be happy to see him gone.

Letters
22-10-2019, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure why you keep doing this Letters.

I keep doing this because for years, for fucking years, some of the twats on here would howl in derision if I even suggested that Wenger might not be the worst manager in football. It seriously got that extreme.
People were posting that literally anyone would do better than Wenger. If I gently suggested that that was a bit simplistic and extreme and while Wenger had become a problem he wasn't the only problem at the club and removing him wouldn't fix everything then I was shouted down.
If I suggested that while he certainly needed to be replaced, it was ridiculous to claim he was the worst manager in football then I was suddenly "sucking Wenger's cock" and clearly wanted him to stay forever.
It was like the gun debate in the US. Any suggestion that more background checks might not be a bad thing or maybe you shouldn't be able to buy semi-automatic assault rifles and the NRA lot are "THEY'RE TRYING TO TAKE ALL OUR GUNS AWAY!".
Only one opinion was allowed on here and by the end Wenger Out wasn't enough, you had to believe he was a bumbling incompetent who could literally do nothing right and that any idiot would immediately do better. Any other opinion was treated with mockery.

Well...fuck everyone who spouted that shit. Because we've got anyone now, and an anyone who won three Europa Leagues in a row so he has some pedigree. Have things got better? If so then it's been incremental at best. He's spent a lot of money, had enough time to work with the team and there has been very little return. The defence is still a shambles despite being the obvious problem area. The midfield lacks creativity and he refuses to play our highest paid player - whatever you think of Ozil he's surely no more useless than the crap we have out there. The attack is good on paper but failed to score against Sheffield Utd last night, maybe because of the midfield. We are still rubbish to watch. Where is Emery going with any of this?

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that Emery has shown far less ability than AW ever did.... the evidence is overwhelming so far as he's fixed no single problem that we had under AW on the pitch.

Except dostoy is still posting shit about how we'd be in the relegation zone were Wenger still in charge.

If what you are trying to say is that AW would do a better job with the team as it currently constitutes - I for one say hell yeah! But again if AW had stayed unchallenged, we certainly wouldn't have this team that looks like it can go places ( thats if the problems AW created can finally be addressed).

That's an interesting one. Would we be doing better under Wenger? Obviously dostoy's comments are bullshit. My feeling is we wouldn't be doing much better or much worse were Wenger still here. I'm glad he's gone because it feels like we can move forward now without the weight of his legacy but Emery isn't taking us forward. Emery is easier to sack than Wenger was, I hope the board are more decisive although that should be balanced against knee-jerk reactions which we are all prone to a bit.

I keep doing this because: I was right. Wenger wasn't as bad as some people were making out, he wasn't the only problem at the club, it wasn't true that any idiot could come in and do better.
I wasn't right about everything, I certainly put my faith in Wenger for too long, I'll admit that. But it would be nice if other people admitted that they were a bit extreme in their views.

And hey, maybe we're wrong about Emery. It's early days yet and maybe this season will be OK. In this day and age Fergie would have been sacked after a couple of mediocre seasons at Utd.
But right now the same old problems we saw under Wenger are still evident. Poor football, awful defence, no captain, awful away form. Emery has had time to deal with some of this and he's done nothing.

Letters
22-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Just as deep down we knew when Wenger had become a busted flush, it is crystal clear that Emery is not right for our team - and things will not improve under him.
I basically agree and agree with your comments on Emery but the one thing I will say. Under Wenger we had years of evidence that things were not going to change. I'll admit I kept the faith with him too long but, looking back, I should have seen earlier it wasn't going to get better. Emery is still relatively new and it's still relatively early in the season, a lot can happen. Right now though there's precious little evidence that he's taking us in the right direction though :(

Chippy
22-10-2019, 10:49 AM

Just as deep down we knew when Wenger had become a busted flush, it is crystal clear that Emery is not right for our team - and things will not improve under him. There is no plan. There is no understanding of his team's strengths or how to get the best out of what is actually a decent bunch of players. Most importantly, Emery is a coward in times when other teams are showing what can be achieved with a positive attitude. Emery was hired to solidify the team and instill some tactical nous. He is doing the opposite. We are just as bad defensively as we were under AW - a coach who admitted that he simply allowed his players freedom to express themselves. Yet offensively, with all of the attacking talent at his disposal, our coach appears to have zero idea about how to build a platform and link our forwards with his midfield. Noone can identify what Emery is trying to achieve - and the only logical conclusion is that he does not really have a clue.

I was prepared to see what he could do with some decent signings, yet if anything he has gone backwards since this time last season. His negative and unclear mindset seems to have transmitted itself directly to the players, and while I would not say that he has lost the dressing room yet, for me the players have little or no faith in his methods.

I agree with everything you say.

However, we all know deep down that he is staying put until his contract runs out.

We have another Wenger situation here and nothing will be done.

Letters
22-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Wenger had a huge legacy to point back at, Emery has achieved nothing at Arsenal.
Doesn't mean you're wrong, but he should be a lot easier to sack than Wenger was.

Bumble
22-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Wenger had a huge legacy to point back at, Emery has achieved nothing at Arsenal.
Doesn't mean you're wrong, but he should be a lot easier to sack than Wenger was.

think he will only be gone if we fail to finish top 4 this year. you only have to look at united to see what problems they are still having despite spending more money than us and going through more managers than us and that includes the evil one.

But as has been said... we just don't look like getting better. we are a dull side with quality strikers.

dostoy
22-10-2019, 12:09 PM
I'd still much rather have Emery than Wenger.

Wenger was useless and should have been sacked at least 2 years before he was.

If Emery does not get Arsenal into the CL this season then yes he should be sacked.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
22-10-2019, 12:37 PM
I never thought I’d say this but Rodgers would be a decent shout! He has shown with Leicester that he knows what’s he’s doing and his teams are organised and good to watch.

Emery is clueless and a chicken. He is too negative and too scared to take the game to the opposition.

If it weren't for the David Brent persona I'd have him here.

Letters
22-10-2019, 01:15 PM
I would too but not because I think he's doing a particularly better job than Wenger did, I don't think he is.
But he doesn't have that huge legacy so is much easier to move from. It's easier to leave a girlfriend you've been with 6 months than your wife of 20 years who you have kids with, so to speak.
I'd give him till the end of the season personally, as frustrated as I am I know that most seasons have ups and downs but it's not looking good so far.

Mac76
22-10-2019, 02:13 PM
i'd get rid of him now and have Freddie as caretaker manager - if nothing else he'd surely get the obvious things right like playing Tierney and dropping Xhaka, and tell the players to be more positive

fakeyank
22-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Wenger was useless and should have been sacked at least 2 years before he was.

If Emery does not get Arsenal into the CL this season then yes he should be sacked.

I'd have Emery over Wenger too, but I dont want to give Emery any time. I dont see a vision to whatever the fuck he is doing. I want us to get rid of him NOW, or at best give him till December to sort his shit out. If not, GTFO!

fakeyank
22-10-2019, 02:23 PM
i'd get rid of him now and have Freddie as caretaker manager - if nothing else he'd surely get the obvious things right like playing Tierney and dropping Xhaka, and tell the players to be more positive

Easy thing to say.. When Emery came in place of Wenger, I thought he'd do the common sense things at a bare minimum. Look whats happened though.. Xhaka made captain, best players in positions left out of the squad and defense getting worser! I seriously thought that there was no way our defense could have gotten any worse, but voila... we are worse than ever before.

So not going to hold my breath that Freddie will do all of that..

Mac76
22-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Easy thing to say.. When Emery came in place of Wenger, I thought he'd do the common sense things at a bare minimum. Look whats happened though.. Xhaka made captain, best players in positions left out of the squad and defense getting worser! I seriously thought that there was no way our defense could have gotten any worse, but voila... we are worse than ever before.

So not going to hold my breath that Freddie will do all of that..

i'm not being naive about it and he may not be a good permanent choice but when he was in charge of the reserves he had Nelson, WIllock, Saka et al playing positive football and I'm sure he'd bring that through - agree we don't know what he thinks about Xhaka and maybe he'd feel obliged to deploy him at least at first, but hopefully phase him out in favour of more of his own proteges

got to be worth a spin just to move Emery on and have other potential managers knowing there's a vacancy there...

selassie
22-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Spot on, for me we should replace him ASAP, not waste any more time, if we give him til the end of the season we just lose another year.

Yep. We are absolutely shit. Given the players we have and the money he has spent, and he has spent a lot. We kind of look worse.

We struggle in every single game with the exception of Europe and Carabao Cup. It’s not acceptable and it’s gone on too long.

He has to go now.

selassie
22-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Preach bro!

:gp:

IBK
22-10-2019, 04:46 PM
From Letters

My feeling is we wouldn't be doing much better or much worse were Wenger still here. I'm glad he's gone because it feels like we can move forward now without the weight of his legacy but Emery isn't taking us forward. Emery is easier to sack than Wenger was, I hope the board are more decisive although that should be balanced against knee-jerk reactions which we are all prone to a bit.

I agree. Can't really see much difference in overall performances under Emery, and its the lack of any apparent plan or strategy after a season with Emery that tells us what we need to know about whether we will improve under him. At least - for better or for worse we know what AW's strategy was! The parallels with the 2 managers over the past 2 or 3 seasons are that while it was obvious that Wenger was done, it is already obvious that Emery won't get there. I'm really hoping that having seen that quality signings are making little or no difference with Emery, the board realise this and get rid without things going to complete shit...

Letters
22-10-2019, 05:38 PM
The lack of any apparent strategy is the thing I’m most disappointed about. One of Wenger’s big failings was the way he set us up the same in every game. Emery was said to be meticulous in his preparation for each game but there has been very little evidence of that. It’s still the same boring shit football we’d got so fed up of under Wenger.

fakeyank
22-10-2019, 07:00 PM
This is exactly why I dont want Emery here anymore. No intent to be positive, boring sideways football.. fuck this shit!

https://streamable.com/q596f

selassie
24-10-2019, 09:31 AM
The lack of any apparent strategy is the thing I’m most disappointed about. One of Wenger’s big failings was the way he set us up the same in every game. Emery was said to be meticulous in his preparation for each game but there has been very little evidence of that. It’s still the same boring shit football we’d got so fed up of under Wenger.

What makes things even worse is seeing what Lampard is doing at Chelsea. It's the polar opposite to what is happening here at Arsenal under Emery.

fakeyank
24-10-2019, 03:04 PM
What makes things even worse is seeing what Lampard is doing at Chelsea. It's the polar opposite to what is happening here at Arsenal under Emery.

Frankly I didnt expect Lampard to succeed at Chelsea but credit to him for proving so many like me wrong. Looking at that model, it wouldnt hurt us to start utilizing our younger players for the rest of the season. They are much easier on the eye to watch any way! I look forward to our EL and Carabao cup matches because this group of players have so much more energy and drive to play entertaining football. I fucking hate our PL matches!

dazthegooner
24-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Think there is two ways we will see a change in our PL games either a change in Emery's methods or a new coach.