View Full Version : Match reaction v Norwich (away)

Bumble
01-12-2019, 03:55 PM
Another draw against a bottom side. Game more exciting but think we need more than just change of manager.

McNamara That Ghost...
01-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Brave stuff from Ljungberg selecting the worst back four he could.

Appalling defensively. Only Aubameyang and Torreira have scored away from home for us this season. :lol:

Bumble
01-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Appalling defensively. Only Aubameyang and Torreira have scored away from home for us this season. :lol:

Now thats a quality stat.

AFC Leveller
01-12-2019, 04:05 PM
It’s obvious that we are a side lacking in confidence and it’s gonna take time to get back to something resembling good. Norwich played well and were the better side second half. Not sure what the thinking behind the starting 11 was but clowns like Mustafi should not be playing for us full stop. Still too slow in the middle of the park.

dostoy
01-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Absolutely pathetic yet again.

Arsenal have 3 good players which are Leno, Laca and Auba, the rest are average and some of them are crap.

What was the point of playing Mustafi today as him and Luiz are just a couple of clowns.

How the hell has Ozil been here over 6 years ?

The next manager has got an absolutely massive job and it will take at least 2 years or more to get right.

Its hard to describe how pathetic this club is.

dazthegooner
01-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Not sure what Ljundberg was thinking with the lineup will give him the benefit of the doubt as he's only been in charge just over a day expect a few changes next time.

McNamara That Ghost...
01-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Martinelli did more than most in barely any time at all.

He needs to play more if Pepe isn't going to be, which I think is unfair on him too.

Lacazette is pointless away from home as goalscoring threat.

Globalgunner
01-12-2019, 04:10 PM
How can you have any confidence with Mustafi and Xhaka in yr team. What do these managers see from these twats that never are reproduced in games, yet they keep picking them?

Norwich playing us to a standstill. Ozil's wages are more than the whole Norwich team I'd wager

Gooner23
01-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Nice reminder of why Mustafi shouldn't be starting in the Prem. Chambers is just not a natural full back and there is no quality in the opposition half from either him or Kolasinac. Xhaka did ok but there is a serious lack of pace and athleticism in this team, Auba aside.

Really thought we'd go on and win it after the equaliser but we reverted to type and Norwich were by far the more threatening.

Desperately want Freddie to do well and turn this around but that starting line up was a bit worrying.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-12-2019, 04:18 PM
The signing of Pepe is starting to look farcical. We're desperate for a goal and Martinelli and Saka come on before him!? What's going on with him behind the scenes that we can't see?

Letters
01-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Worst start since 1975, apparently :lol:

:ilt:

21_GOONER_SALUTE
01-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Emery would be so proud of Freddie where ever he is, he clearly doesn't want the job, no Enrique situation here!!

I earlier said the board should take their time with choosing the new manager but if these are the kind of lineups Freddie's got in store for us, then they need act asap.

However, the substitutions were better, though how any manager can start Guendozi and Xhaka over Torreira really confuses me.

Really poor form from Freddie and I'm just glad we managed to scrap a point.

BTW, this just makes it clear that we cannot have a novice as our new manager...... so can we kill the Arteta talk once and for all?

Mac76
01-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Emery would be so proud of Freddie where ever he is, he clearly doesn't want the job, no Enrique situation here!!

I earlier said the board should take their time with choosing the new manager but if these are the kind of lineups Freddie's got in store for us, then they need act asap.

However, the substitutions were better, though how any manager can start Guendozi and Xhaka over Torreira really confuses me.

BTW, this just makes it clear that we cannot have a novice as our new manager...... so can we kill the Arteta talk once and for all?

:gp: :clap:

Niall_Quinn
01-12-2019, 04:43 PM
The signing of Pepe is starting to look farcical. We're desperate for a goal and Martinelli and Saka come on before him!? What's going on with him behind the scenes that we can't see?

Pepe. Ozil. Same problem. You bring them in to be creative and offensive, but when the rest of the team are operating at 1mph top speed there's no point having creative and offensive players, they just end up having to conjure magic from thin air to justify their transfer fee and/ or wages. These are players who should be enhancing an already coherent and effective team, not saviours who have to single-handedly drag the rest along. There were a few players throughout history who could do it almost alone - Maradona, Messi. But even the best of the rest need a decent team around them to shine.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
01-12-2019, 04:43 PM

There's nothing going on with him behind the scenes.

Almost every poster here creamed themselves on how perfect our transfer window was and how Pepe was going tear this league apart, everyone clearly having amnesia on how terrible our defending was and how that should have been our only priority last summer.

Anyway I told you so's won't help anyone, he's a good young talented player, but expecting an attacking player to come from a different league and instantly set it ablaze, choosing to ignore all the inherent problems we had with the poor management, was so naive of so many on here.

Also if we now decide to turn on him and start discussing flogging him off, that would make us even more stupid and silly. Go ask Chelsea fans and they'll tell you about Salah and De Bryunne.

We've got to get our house in order first, get a decent manager, get some worthwhile defenders.... and after a period of stability, we can talk about Pepe.

Oh, and I think the only part of the lineup Freddie got right was the ozil-laca-Auba part.

Niall_Quinn
01-12-2019, 04:46 PM

Could be the game plan (sic) was already in place and Freddie had no time to do anything other than run with it. If we see the same sort of lineup next time though, then we're in deeper shit than I ever thought.

Niall_Quinn
01-12-2019, 04:50 PM

Almost every poster here creamed themselves on how perfect our transfer window was and how Pepe was going tear this league apart, everyone clearly having amnesia on how terrible our defending was and how that should have been our only priority last summer.

Anyway I told you so's won't help anyone, he's a good young talented player, but expecting an attacking player to come from a different league and instantly set it ablaze, choosing to ignore all the inherent problems we had with the poor management, was so naive of so many on here.

Also if we now decide to turn on him and start discussing flogging him off, that would make us even more stupid and silly. Go ask Chelsea fans and they'll tell you about Salah and De Bryunne.

We've got to get our house in order first, get a decent manager, get some worthwhile defenders.... and after a period of stability, we can talk about Pepe.

Oh, and I think the only part of the lineup Freddie got right was the ozil-laca-Auba part.

:gp:

If we can't get Ozil, Laca and Auba firing as a unit then all other bets are off anyway. That trio, a midfield that has a little bit more about it than the three plodding amigos Xhaka, Gwen and the overrated Argie guy. Defenders who went to a football academy rather than clown school.

Damn, there's a big job to do at this place. We're absolutely nowhere right now.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-12-2019, 04:56 PM

It was something of a rhetorical question/position.
I think given the car crash that was the end of our season and varying degrees of interest/disinterest from the ownership, our window was a success. Even if we hadn't lost Iwobi, Pepe was a missing part of this squad. The fact we didn't bring in a top defender shouldn't mask that, however the priority list was drawn up.

Pepe has been playing well and actually should be playing. The fact he didn't see the light of day today despite a change in management is a concern. We are not a club that can afford to have 72 million signing polishing his boots on the bench. We need that singing to work and this isn't a good way about going about it.

Bumble
01-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Problem is defensively we cant be much better anyway. Bellerin and holding injured. Sokratis has been so poor. Who else can play in the back four. Xhaka plays because we dont have much choice.

It is bizarre that torreira and pepe dont start. Why not play laca auba pepe with ozil behind. Toreira plus one sitting deep.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
01-12-2019, 05:39 PM
It was something of a rhetorical question/position.
I think given the car crash that was the end of our season and varying degrees of interest/disinterest from the ownership, our window was a success. Even if we hadn't lost Iwobi, Pepe was a missing part of this squad. The fact we didn't bring in a top defender shouldn't mask that, however the priority list was drawn up.

Pepe has been playing well and actually should be playing. The fact he didn't see the light of day today despite a change in management is a concern. We are not a club that can afford to have 72 million signing polishing his boots on the bench. We need that singing to work and this isn't a good way about going about it.

Define playing well? I mean from a perspective of an attacking player who happens to be the club record signing by a wide margin , most people would expect his playing well to be measured with goals and assists. I mean wasn't their a stat about him having the third best assist record in the whole of Europe after Messi and someone else?

Clearly he's not come close to that since he joined us and TBH we overhyped the young lad and he's already taking flak from some over how our season has panned out.

Now I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a chance or he hasn't improved nor that he shouldn't be involved, but who do you drop for the "great potential", Laca or Auba? I know Ozil isn't the flavour of the moment, but just like the other 2 mentioned, he has proven on all stages in the past that he can cut it.

Personally I think not starting or playing Pepe in an underperforming team might just be doing him a favour. He will carry the burden of his price tag every single time he steps on the pitch and as long as the team underperforms, he will get an unfair share of the blame. Lukaku and Coutinho are good examples.

We need the team to gel better and unfortunately we need to rely on our old heads and more importantly players who've got some measure of goodwill shielding them from the ire of the fans ........ or another Xhaka pantomime might have him starring in it.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
01-12-2019, 05:44 PM
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/arsenals-nicolas-pepe-branded-worst-20375503.amp

Marc Overmars
01-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Shite as usual.

Embarrassing that we haven’t beaten any of the bottom 3. This team is beyond broken.

Globalgunner
01-12-2019, 06:07 PM
Still cannot fathom why Freddie went with a team laced with the same dunderheads that have been screwing up for 2 seasons. There is no there there with Xhaka. He is the worst DM in the league by a wide margin. Even if we played against a team of girl guides. He wouldn't be able to screen the defence or track runners. Zero mobility and bang average passing. What does that moron actually excel at. ?. Mustafi is also probably the worst in the league in his position. Calamity walking. Sokratis is no better. The only part of this team that's decent is our attack and the keeper. We need a new defence and a new midfield. Guendouzi is just a kid. He should never be a starter at a club like Arsenal. This winter TW will define our season. If we keep this lot then we will do well to stay mid table. They are uncoacheable.

Niall_Quinn
01-12-2019, 06:08 PM
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/arsenals-nicolas-pepe-branded-worst-20375503.amp

The so-called fans are a real problem right now. It was kind of inevitable. When the yanks came in and fucked over the place, ripping the heart of Arsenal out and replacing it with this shit - time alone was going to generate so-called "fans" to match.

I am invisible
01-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Not really sure what I was expecting here? I mean I didn’t for one second think we’d see a drastic improvement in any of the players after 2 days, but fuck me! Mustafi, Luiz, Kolasinac, Xhaka and Özil in the same XI? Wasn’t expecting that. Was everyone else injured?

21_GOONER_SALUTE
01-12-2019, 07:21 PM
The so-called fans are a real problem right now. It was kind of inevitable. When the yanks came in and fucked over the place, ripping the heart of Arsenal out and replacing it with this shit - time alone was going to generate so-called "fans" to match.

Not sure I can really blame anyone for overreacting nowadays. With the level of under achievement and in particular the lies we were fed before this period started, it's definitely enough to drive anyone over the edge.

Of the top of my head, I think the only top club in world football who have fans screwed as regularly as us are probably Milan. Shame though, I don't speak Italian, as I'd love to gauge their level of 'contentment' .

Özim
01-12-2019, 07:43 PM
No Excuse for that line-up today to be honest, ayone with eyes can see which players shouldn't play and to bring Xhaka back in again is ridiculous, terrible lineup and to be honest already seeing why Ljungberg shouldn't even be considered for the role and why we should get a new manager ASAP.

I just can't really understand why anyone would pick the team he did today, it's makes absolutely no sense and really won't endear him to the fans, it's very similar to what Emery would have done.

Mourinho goes into Spurs with a team in poor form and wins 3 n the trot so if you know what you're doing there's no reason why you can't turn it around, but picking the right team is the 1st step and if you can't even do that, you've got no hope!

Mac76
01-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Problem is defensively we cant be much better anyway. Bellerin and holding injured. Sokratis has been so poor. Who else can play in the back four. Xhaka plays because we dont have much choice.

Didn't know holding was injured but we should absolutely be starting Tierney ahead of Kola and i'd rather have almost anyone except Mustafi, even bring Medley in

Mac76
01-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Btw I read somewhere that Ozil, Kola and Mustafi are a bit of a clique at the club and i wonder if Freddie is trying to get them onside by starting them all...

Özim
01-12-2019, 10:38 PM
I guess the issue with someone from within being in charge is their probably friends with the players and that doesn't give them an unbiased view, some of the selections today were horrendous, which bit of Xhaka is finished at Arsenal don't they understand?

Can't wait to get a new manager in with a fresh approach and no pre-conceived ideas about the players.

Chippy
01-12-2019, 10:55 PM
I guess the issue with someone from within being in charge is their probably friends with the players and that doesn't give them an unbiased view, some of the selections today were horrendous, which bit of Xhaka is finished at Arsenal don't they understand?

Can't wait to get a new manager in with a fresh approach and no pre-conceived ideas about the players.
Ljunberg out!

Chippy
01-12-2019, 10:58 PM
Worst start since 1975, apparently :lol:

:ilt:

AFTV'S DT reckons we are in a relegation battle 😏

fakeyank
01-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Where was Bellerin and Tierney for today? Kola was good offensively but horrible at the back. Frankly I saw many positives in todays game:
- We played fast forward movement football as much as we could
- Xhaka played very good
- We dropped Sokratis.. this is a first step, although we replaced him with someone terrible like Mustafi! :lol:
I think we need to start with Holding and Luiz, or Holding and Chambers as our CB. Where is Mavanparos?

I still do not understand the point of Ozil. He needs to play in the middle behind our strikers. I do not see any effectiveness of him playing down our wings. Also, what position was Torreira playing when he came on? He was our best CDM last season and this season he cant tell his ass from his elbows!

Özim
01-12-2019, 11:10 PM
Where was Bellerin and Tierney for today? Kola was good offensively but horrible at the back. Frankly I saw many positives in todays game:
- We played fast forward movement football as much as we could
- Xhaka played very good
- We dropped Sokratis.. this is a first step, although we replaced him with someone terrible like Mustafi! :lol:
I think we need to start with Holding and Luiz, or Holding and Chambers as our CB. Where is Mavanparos?

I still do not understand the point of Ozil. He needs to play in the middle behind our strikers. I do not see any effectiveness of him playing down our wings. Also, what position was Torreira playing when he came on? He was our best CDM last season and this season he cant tell his ass from his elbows!

Thought Xhaka was partially at fault for the 2nd goal, was completely out of position and far too slow to get back into position.

That's besides the point though, how is this guy still playing for this club, it's a joke!

Niall_Quinn
02-12-2019, 02:47 AM
Thought Xhaka was partially at fault for the 2nd goal, was completely out of position and far too slow to get back into position.

That's besides the point though, how is this guy still playing for this club, it's a joke!

Thank fuck Ozil's still here. He's the only player we have who isn't a total panic merchant on the ball - except, perhaps (there are hints) Pepe. Even Auba has fallen into the Arsenal way, despite being an excellent player when he arrived. Actually, I might include that Martinelli kid too. I really hope he's not listening to his coaches and is just doing his own thing.

Xhaka's a disaster zone, of course. He murders any chance of football. Tipi, tap, back, back.

Bumble
02-12-2019, 07:26 AM

although surely a manager will have pre-conceived ideas about the players... unless they have never seen them play before . otherwise you are advocating that if mustafi and xhaka did well in training then they should be picked by the new manager.

Globalgunner
02-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Arsenal: Leno, Chambers, Mustafi, David Luiz, Kolasinac, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Willock, Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette.
Subs: Martinez, Sokratis, Tierney, Torreira, Pepe, Saka, Martinelli.

This was our starting squad yesterday. Im pretty sure 95% of us would have made a better starting 11 than the ones Freddie chose. The real test is if he stick with the same squad for the next game. Sokratis/Mustafi is a choice between bad and awful. Maybe it will make both up their game a bit. But truth is we need to ship both out. Their reading of the game is atrocious. If we are serious we need at least 1 CB in January. Either of the Norwich defenders would be better than what we have but I would really love us to go for Tyrone Mings at Villa. Really great up coming defender.

My biggest gripe with this team is our uncoordinated play. the way we seem to be totally open at times. Norwich would look like 15 years olds against any top CL team and they made us sweat bullets yesterday.

Not much reason to be cheerful yet, but im so glad Emery is gone. the man has ruined his reputation completely with the last 18 months.

Can I also addf that Guendouzi needs a spot on the sidelines. He needs to maybe see the game from the outside looking in.

Marc Overmars
02-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Increasingly coming round to the idea that we should cash in on Lacazette while his stock remains good. I actually think he’s been a downgrade on Giroud. Just putting it out there...

Marc Overmars
02-12-2019, 09:49 AM
I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt first game in, but if Freddie goes with the same team against Brighton then we’re in big trouble if he thinks those players are going to deliver results.

At least 3 or 4 of the bench yesterday should have been starting.

Özim
02-12-2019, 10:07 AM
although surely a manager will have pre-conceived ideas about the players... unless they have never seen them play before . otherwise you are advocating that if mustafi and xhaka did well in training then they should be picked by the new manager.

Yeah but people from within the club has this weird twisted perception about some of our players, why would anyone actually play Mustafi and Xhaka and Kolasinac when they've been watching them in week in week out, it makes zero sense, frankly I couldn't care less about training, it's not like a real match, I'm shocked at the lineup Ljungberg put together, makes me think the guy has learnt nothing and can't see who isn't good enough.

We just need someone new who has never been involved with this club who can ruffle a few feathers and recognises when someone isn't up to scratch, really tired of seeing illogical decisions, terrible lineups and players in the team that should be sold. Shame we missed out on Mourinho, he would soon ahve got rid of these players that are rubbish and don't work for the team.

Get a new manager ASAP.

Özim
02-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Arsenal: Leno, Chambers, Mustafi, David Luiz, Kolasinac, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Willock, Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette.
Subs: Martinez, Sokratis, Tierney, Torreira, Pepe, Saka, Martinelli.

This was our starting squad yesterday. Im pretty sure 95% of us would have made a better starting 11 than the ones Freddie chose. The real test is if he stick with the same squad for the next game. Sokratis/Mustafi is a choice between bad and awful. Maybe it will make both up their game a bit. But truth is we need to ship both out. Their reading of the game is atrocious. If we are serious we need at least 1 CB in January. Either of the Norwich defenders would be better than what we have but I would really love us to go for Tyrone Mings at Villa. Really great up coming defender.

My biggest gripe with this team is our uncoordinated play. the way we seem to be totally open at times. Norwich would look like 15 years olds against any top CL team and they made us sweat bullets yesterday.

Not much reason to be cheerful yet, but im so glad Emery is gone. the man has ruined his reputation completely with the last 18 months.

Can I also addf that Guendouzi needs a spot on the sidelines. He needs to maybe see the game from the outside looking in.

Totally agree, almost anyone would have picked a better team, pretty shocked at how amateurish that lineup was, it's like he's been brainwashed into the Arsenal way of the last decade, playing sub standard players. Worried me when Josh Kroenke talked about Ljungberg and Arsenal DNA, for a start Kroenke knows nothing about but also Arsenal DNA seems to have become lack of effort and hunger and bottling every opportunity for success, we need to bring someone to change this now.

Özim
02-12-2019, 10:12 AM
I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt first game in, but if Freddie goes with the same team against Brighton then we’re in big trouble if he thinks those players are going to deliver results.

At least 3 or 4 of the bench yesterday should have been starting.

I'm not willing to to be honest, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to be able to pick the best team and know who to leave out, there was no excuse for yesterday, it seems to me the guy is either too friendly with some of thes guys or he's been following Wenger and Emery too closely and neither is good.

The fans seem to know better than the actual people in charge when it comes to picking the best players.

AFC Leveller
02-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Pepe is a weird one because the coaches obviously don’t fancy him. Saka over him is a joke and just tells you how bad he’s been in training.

Özim
02-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Pepe is a weird one because the coaches obviously don’t fancy him. Saka over him is a joke and just tells you how bad he’s been in training.

Does it tell you about training though, frankly the personnel at the club over the years don't seem to know what they're doing, from Wenger, Emery to Bould who has made no difference to our defence.

Besides training is pretty irrelevant, it's how you perform in a match that matters, training is a walk in the park because it's not competitive, players in the 1st team get shown up time and time again and that's what we should be paying attention to.

The coaching at this club has been terrible over the years, I just want a totally new manager with a new approach who maybe has a clean sweep of all the coaches because we need some better ones.

Saka has been pretty average.

I am invisible
02-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Increasingly coming round to the idea that we should cash in on Lacazette while his stock remains good. I actually think he’s been a downgrade on Giroud. Just putting it out there...
His form is almost irrelevant at this point - the squad clearly needs investment and he’s one of the few assets we have who could generate enough funds to do something meaningful. In fact, barring one or two of the better younger players, I’m not sure I’d say anyone in the squad is unsellable at the moment...

I am invisible
02-12-2019, 12:22 PM
I’ve calmed down a little bit since yesterday, and I’ve decided to give Freddie the benefit of the doubt for now. He’s only been in charge for a couple of training sessions, and it sounds like he didn’t have too many options with where the defence was concerned.

Unfortunately, we’re really not in a place where we can afford to alienate any of the players right now - as Emery found out, you’re still going to have to turn to all of these guys at some point throughout thee we’d year, so it probably wouldn’t be the smartest move to piss off 80% of your senior players with your first team selection. I just hope / pray this turns out to be a case of giving certain players enough rope to hang themselves before he starts wielding the axe...

Marc Overmars
02-12-2019, 12:26 PM

He’s looking like a bust but there must be something there that made him highly valued? If he’s warming the bench though then it’s better to just cut our losses and loan him back or something.

Özim
02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
I’ve calmed down a little bit since yesterday, and I’ve decided to give Freddie the benefit of the doubt for now. He’s only been in charge for a couple of training sessions, and it sounds like he didn’t have too many options with where the defence was concerned.

Unfortunately, we’re really not in a place where we can afford to alienate any of the players right now - as Emery found out, you’re still going to have to turn to all of these guys at some point throughout thee we’d year, so it probably wouldn’t be the smartest move to piss off 80% of your senior players with your first team selection. I just hope / pray this turns out to be a case of giving certain players enough rope to hang themselves before he starts wielding the axe...

He's been around the club, he should know the players inside out, no excuse for the lineup IMO.

Don't agree, we're not a charity, if you're not good enough you don't play, we need to be more ruthless we've been too soft fo years. We don't need to turn to these players to be honest, we have enough that we don't if we play them in their right positions.

I am invisible
02-12-2019, 01:08 PM
I feel for Pepe a little bit - he’s new to the club (and league and the country), he’s walked into an absolute shit-show, he didn’t get much of a preseason with us and he’s got all the pressure of that price tag to justify. I’d be feeling a little tense if I were him.

Of course then I remember he’s a multi-millionaire who only works a couple of hours a week, so my sympathy only goes so far...

Letters
02-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Interesting. I don't think he's a downgrade but Giroud was massively under-rated by Arsenal fans, if he is an upgrade then it's not much of one.
I don't think we should sell him though, I still think he's one of our better players.

Bumble
02-12-2019, 01:50 PM
Interesting. I don't think he's a downgrade but Giroud was massively under-rated by Arsenal fans, if he is an upgrade then it's not much of one.
I don't think we should sell him though, I still think he's one of our better players.

i think if we can get Coutinho type money then I would sell him. We need to improve at the back, another season out of the CL and we have already spent a lot of next years budget.

We shouldn't be afraid to sell any of our players, sometimes if a large enough bid comes in then take it and use the money to strengthen in multiple areas.

Bumble
02-12-2019, 01:53 PM
He's been around the club, he should know the players inside out, no excuse for the lineup IMO.

Don't agree, we're not a charity, if you're not good enough you don't play, we need to be more ruthless we've been too soft fo years. We don't need to turn to these players to be honest, we have enough that we don't if we play them in their right positions.

but football is till 11 a side sport... so we need to keep some players and as you think most aren't good enough then not playing all those not good enough would in turn make us struggle a bit.

I think the options at the back and central midfield are thin. Holding and Bellerin are injured, meant Chambers had to play right back. Sokratis has been really poor so was right to be dropped. Anyone else is a total unknown quantity.

I do think Gendo needs to be rested... think it is too much for a 19yo to be the main stay of the midfield.

fakeyank
02-12-2019, 02:15 PM
What does Bould bring to the table? That man lurks around in the background but I still dont know his function to the team. For a man who was a great defender, our defense is definitely not even a 1% reflection of what he was.. why not bring Keown back into the picture? He worked wonders with a bunch of nobodies in our run to the CL final.

Globalgunner
02-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Agreed. Why Freddie decided Merts was to be his assistant i do not know. Bang average defender with no heart in my opinion. Keown would be up those twats faces like he did to Van Nastilrooy at OT. Someone needs to tell our dunces in defence what they really need to hear. If they listened to what most TV pundits say about them most weekends they will want to jump off a bridge.

Özim
03-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Agreed. Why Freddie decided Merts was to be his assistant i do not know. Bang average defender with no heart in my opinion. Keown would be up those twats faces like he did to Van Nastilrooy at OT. Someone needs to tell our dunces in defence what they really need to hear. If they listened to what most TV pundits say about them most weekends they will want to jump off a bridge.

Totally agree, Mertersacker epitomises the mediocrity at this club, you need motivaters, coaches that know what they're doing and are hungry, no people who just going along with whatever someone else says.

Seems to me that the club doesn't listen to any external influences, if they did they'd realise what a shambles the defence is, they also would have never signed Luiz as a CB, years of him being a liabilty there should have been enough to put us off, clearly not though because it seems there's very little actual football knowledge at the club.

Özim
03-12-2019, 10:36 AM

I think Lacazette is big upgrade of the static Giroud, look how the guy has done at Chelsea. Giroud was just lucky that he was the focal point at a time when we were only interested in attacking, a very limited player.

Laca works hard and is a real poacher, used properly he'd be very good, sadly so far we haven't had a manager that has managed to do this efficiently.

Niall_Quinn
04-12-2019, 07:09 PM
I think Lacazette is big upgrade of the static Giroud, look how the guy has done at Chelsea. Giroud was just lucky that he was the focal point at a time when we were only interested in attacking, a very limited player.

Laca works hard and is a real poacher, used properly he'd be very good, sadly so far we haven't had a manager that has managed to do this efficiently.

Watching the last game I was thinking Johnny Hartson up there would have won it for us. The amount of times it went aimlessly into the box with not one of our shirts within a mile of the danger zone. Lumping it into the 6 yard box and having a big lump up there would probably be a better bet for us right now. So Giroud would probably get more joy than Laca in this current setup. But only because we're so shite. For some reason, which Wenger and then Emery couldn't get close to figuring out, we can't get talented player to rise above journeyman status. So it's hard to compare any of the players in the team right now with any that have gone before because I don't think we've played such pointless (figuratively and literally) football in decades.