PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Man Utd (home)

McNamara That Ghost...
01-01-2020, 09:53 PM
Artetaball delivered. :bow:

There are a few things that can do with improving but it seems churlish tonight after so few wins this season.

Great first half again. :bow:

Well done boys.

GP
01-01-2020, 09:55 PM
Pleased.

Letters
01-01-2020, 09:56 PM
Up to 10th place :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
01-01-2020, 09:58 PM
They are working for Arteta.

Will need to build on their fitness to meet the demands of his style.

Niall_Quinn
Still a lot to fix up, but at least we have walls and a ceiling now.

Globalgunner
Up to 10th place :lol:

Top 10:ladynana:

Niall_Quinn
01-01-2020, 10:00 PM
AFTV won't have any material to work with.

Globalgunner
I'm starting to believe
Maybe we wont be relegated

21_GOONER_SALUTE
Great way to start a new year !!!

BTW when was the last time we won a league game 2 nil..... it'll probably be like 4 or 5 years ago.

Niall_Quinn
01-01-2020, 10:02 PM
Arteta took them all on the Polar Express. And got them a house and a dad and a baby brother for Christmas.

AFC Leveller
Great way to start a new year !!!

BTW when was the last time we won a league game 2 nil..... it'll probably be like 4 or 5 years ago.

Corresponding fixture last season 2-0, Xhaka and Auba.

GP

They've got a shit load of material in Robbie's wardrobe.

Maestro
01-01-2020, 10:03 PM
got a whatsapp group with like 40 blokes on it, went dead about an hour ago

gonna be nice peaceful night, thank you Arsenal

21_GOONER_SALUTE
01-01-2020, 10:06 PM
Corresponding fixture last season 2-0, Xhaka and Auba.

Yeah just checked.

Funnily they beat us 3-1 at home both times before that and and we won 2-0 in 2017..... seems there always has to be a difference of 2 goals in this fixture.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
01-01-2020, 10:16 PM
As for the game, all the positives of the last few games continued, which really is impressive and I've got to give the Rookie his props.

However I thought the Pepe sub was really poor and could have cost us if Man U had got their act together. Nelson is offering us nothing and really shouldn't play ahead of Martinelli or Wilock.

The transformation of Xhaka and especially the rebirth Luiz has been really pleasing.

Oh and am I allowed to call Ozil our star player again?? It's going to be a while before Emery gets a decent job.

Master Splinter
01-01-2020, 10:16 PM
Excellent first half. Just the clinical final ball/shot missing again.

Solid second half with everyone putting in a required shift despite the tired legs.

Did United have a clear chance in that game? When was the last time we reduced any team in any type of form to just scrappy quarter-chances? And wihen did we nullify an opposition team who have one obvious style? It shouldn't be revelatory, but with the malaise and unproffesionalism that has set in over the last few years, it could be a genuine stepping stone.

Maybe Arteta instead of Emery woukdn't have been such a risk afterall. Not bringing him in earlier this season when it was clear that nothing was working was terrible mismanagement.

Letters
01-01-2020, 10:22 PM

Apr 1, 2019, vs Newcastle.
Actually did it quite a few times last season, including against Utd...

Gooner23
01-01-2020, 10:27 PM
Love a win against Utd. Great way to kick off 2020!

Gooner23
01-01-2020, 10:29 PM
So much better at both ends of the pitch. Players really look like they are buying into it. Loving seeing Torreira back to his best! Huge improvements from Luiz, Ozil and others.

Chippy
01-01-2020, 10:34 PM
Artetaball delivered. :bow:

There are a few things that can do with improving but it seems churlish tonight after so few wins this season.

Great first half again. :bow:

Well done boys.

So fucking pleased. Massive win.
Very pleased for Arteta and the boys.

dazthegooner
01-01-2020, 10:35 PM
Well we have a break till our next premiership match will be interesting which team Arteta plays against Leeds.

Marc Overmars
01-01-2020, 10:41 PM
A performance that’s been coming for a long time. Well played lads.

Mickey Tets :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
01-01-2020, 10:46 PM

They never do.

Unless listening to the same hyper inflated ill informed rants on a continuous loop is your thing.

Great Guantanamo material though.

Mac76
01-01-2020, 10:50 PM
So much better at both ends of the pitch. Players really look like they are buying into it. Loving seeing Torreira back to his best! Huge improvements from Luiz, Ozil and others.

yes and the atmosphere in the ground was so much better, people really behind the team and singing many more songs than for a long time

was worried we might let them get too much of the ball in the second half but to be fair we prevented it becoming like chelsea

good night, great to beat Moan utd and felt like a proper football match instead of a comedy of errors

with man ure and spuds losing, the table just looks a little bit better tonight... :)

GP
01-01-2020, 11:05 PM
https://i.redd.it/cwzirui809841.jpg

I am invisible
01-01-2020, 11:32 PM
Thank the good dude for that! You could see that the players were behind Arteta, and buying into how he wants us to play, from day one, but we really needed that win to turn enthusiasm into belief.

Hopefully we’ll have a chance to catch our breath now, maybe get some players back and build with a slightly easier run of games.

I am invisible
01-01-2020, 11:33 PM
Well we have a break till our next premiership match will be interesting which team Arteta plays against Leeds.
Would it be considered bad form to play Nketiah?

Niall_Quinn
01-01-2020, 11:54 PM
Arteta - "I like to see them suffer together."

Is that a translation thing or is he just an absolute bastard?

Hopefully the latter.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-01-2020, 12:17 AM
lovely jubbly....up the Arse!

I am invisible
02-01-2020, 06:30 AM
Arteta - "I like to see them suffer together."

Is that a translation thing or is he just an absolute bastard?

Hopefully the latter.
Full quote...

Q: Is this the level of fitness you're expecting and will it get better?

A: I hope so. That wasn't the plan - I have to admit - but obviously they are suffering a bit to maintain that level of intensity. I think it will come, it's part of the process and the way we train.

"At the moment we don't have much time to do so, but I really liked the resilience and I like to see them suffer together. When they had to defend deeper I wanted to see that reaction instead of getting annoyed with each other if someone gave the ball away it was all positive reactions so I'm pleased with that too.

dazthegooner
02-01-2020, 06:56 AM
Would it be considered bad form to play Nketiah?

Hasn't he already played for Leeds in and earlier round (or was not playing him in cup games a term of the loan?)

I am invisible
02-01-2020, 07:16 AM
Hasn't he already played for Leeds in and earlier round (or was not playing him in cup games a term of the loan?)
Good point - didn’t even think that he might be cup tied. I guess it only usually comes up for us in European competition because we hardly ever buy domestic players...

I am invisible
02-01-2020, 08:28 AM
Arsenal player stats vs man u ...

Most times possession regained - Özil (10)
Most ground covered - Özil (11.53km)

Literally tears in my eyes.

(Honourable mention to little Lucas T who was second in both stats with 9 and 11.41km)

Marc Overmars
02-01-2020, 08:56 AM
Even David Luiz looked like a monster again.

Don’t know what Arteta is giving them but if this is a sign of things to come then I’m sold!

I am invisible
02-01-2020, 09:26 AM
Drugs?

Letters
02-01-2020, 09:31 AM
Unless listening to the same hyper inflated ill informed rants on a continuous loop is your thing.

They stole our idea? :(

Özim
02-01-2020, 11:47 AM
Good win and we needed it badly, decent performance, Pepe played really well and so did Luiz, though he's always liable to giveaway a goal with a silly mistake so would rather see him in midfield, hopefully if we get rid of Xhaka and then he can play there.

Need to get a few more of these wins under our belt, our best best is to win the EL this season and then we'll have the CL money to spend in the summer.

AFC Leveller
02-01-2020, 11:50 AM
Apr 1, 2019, vs Newcastle.
Actually did it quite a few times last season, including against Utd...

They had some really good chances in that game. Hit the bar from about 2 yards out first half and Leno denied Lukaku twice at least.

KSE Comedy Club
02-01-2020, 11:57 AM
Ecstatic last night, I had forgotten what winning was like :lol:

Arteta is clearly doing all the right things so fair play to him. Luiz is a like a new signing, so long may that continue!

100% win record so far this year :good:

Bumble
02-01-2020, 01:02 PM
thoroughly impressed. united had no answer and OGS even admitted that.

we are only 3 points behind Spuds and the Chavs arent playing well... they got lucky against us but we can get our revenge in couple of weeks.

think we learnt from the Chelsea game as well as to not sit on a lead.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-01-2020, 01:18 PM
Drugs?

Wenger's own brand creatine.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-01-2020, 01:22 PM
Gazidis Woz rite.....

Come back baldy....all is forgiven.

Globalgunner
02-01-2020, 05:00 PM
All I know my people. Is that Pepe is a fkn baller. Twice the player Reiss Nelson is. First name on the sheet after Leno pls

Niall_Quinn
02-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Pepe did well in phases. Got the goal, of course. Contributed to the second. Was threatening on a couple of occasions. But he also slowed things down and was a bit negative with his play, often playing with his back to goal and killing the momentum. Maybe because AMN was also a bit slow getting forward. Auba and Kola worked much better on the other side. I though Nelson played well against the chavs, using pace and directness. If Pepe can do the same on a more consistent basis he'll become an important asset. Still think he has a lot of work to do though.

WMUG
03-01-2020, 01:04 PM
He's also not fit enough to play Arteta's system for the whole 90, which is why he got brought off. All the good things you mention, he did early on. All the bad things you mention, he did later on. I also think it was probably good for him that he had to walk off around the pitch rather than across it, meant he got his name sung and a standing ovation from each section of the crowd for about 2 minutes, that's got to do wonders for the confidence of a player struggling to make an impact.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-01-2020, 02:01 PM
I thought Pepe came off too soon in this game and was on too late in the last but what does it matter, we won the game in the end. A number of the moments Nelson failed to capitalise on in attack, I thought Pepe would have punished Manure for. Not sure why Nelson was slipping so much neither, but he helped defend.

AMN didn't attack too much, primarily because Arteta is getting him to come inside as an extra midfield protecting against the counter attacks. I'm fine with that if it means we concede less and actually get clean sheets. Think he has been quietly exceptional for a while now.

I am invisible
03-01-2020, 06:44 PM
Good read here on how AMN has been deployed since Arteta took over...

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/players/ainsley-maitland-niles-arteta-tactics-17504627

Basically the two sides are working completely differently at the moment: Kola / Saka push forward to make an attacking 5 when we’re in possession, Xhaka drops to cover LB and AMN acts as a counter-balance on the other side. AMN also seems to act as a kind of bait to draw opponents to the right before quickly switching to the left.

It’s actually quite a neat solution to about 5 or 6 different problems:

- AMN no longer gets caught upfield so we’re harder to pick off on transitions
- Pepe doesn’t have to worry about tracking back so much if AMN spends less time going forward
- We keep 2 in midfield, shielding the defence and reducing the space between the lines
- Xhaka and Luiz have more time and protection allowing them to quarterback the play
- Kola / Saka can do what they do best with less pressure on them to be amazing defenders
- It allows us to play both Auba and Laca and keep both happy, as Auba moves central when Kola drives down the left

Eventually I expect Arteta would like both sides to be able to drive forward and counter-balance each other as needed, but for now this looks like a decent fix given our limited options.

Got to say, I’ve been really impressed with the job AMN has done there so far - not sure Bellerin goes straight back into the team if he keeps this up.

AFC Leveller
04-01-2020, 02:41 PM
Good read here on how AMN has been deployed since Arteta took over...

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/players/ainsley-maitland-niles-arteta-tactics-17504627

Basically the two sides are working completely differently at the moment: Kola / Saka push forward to make an attacking 5 when we’re in possession, Xhaka drops to cover LB and AMN acts as a counter-balance on the other side. AMN also seems to act as a kind of bait to draw opponents to the right before quickly switching to the left.

It’s actually quite a neat solution to about 5 or 6 different problems:

- AMN no longer gets caught upfield so we’re harder to pick off on transitions
- Pepe doesn’t have to worry about tracking back so much if AMN spends less time going forward
- We keep 2 in midfield, shielding the defence and reducing the space between the lines
- Xhaka and Luiz have more time and protection allowing them to quarterback the play
- Kola / Saka can do what they do best with less pressure on them to be amazing defenders
- It allows us to play both Auba and Laca and keep both happy, as Auba moves central when Kola drives down the left

Eventually I expect Arteta would like both sides to be able to drive forward and counter-balance each other as needed, but for now this looks like a decent fix given our limited options.

Got to say, I’ve been really impressed with the job AMN has done there so far - not sure Bellerin goes straight back into the team if he keeps this up.

Man U had no answer to that during the game. James didn’t know whether to track Kola, this leaving Xhaka with time and space to pick out passes, or press Xhaka and leave Kola with so much space and it’s no surprise the first goal came down his side (Auba kept making runs inside, ensuring Wan Bissaka vacated that right hand side). Arteta is a tactical genius.

I am invisible
04-01-2020, 03:54 PM
Man U had no answer to that during the game. James didn’t know whether to track Kola, this leaving Xhaka with time and space to pick out passes, or press Xhaka and leave Kola with so much space and it’s no surprise the first goal came down his side (Auba kept making runs inside, ensuring Wan Bissaka vacated that right hand side). Arteta is a tactical genius.
More importantly, he might actually be a strategist, which is exactly what we need if we’re going to restore this club.

One of the main reasons he was my pick for the job was his strong working relationship with Mertesacker and the relationship I suspected / hoped he’d be able to forge with Edu (given their shared pasts at this club) - we really need those 3 to be 100% in sync and aligned in their thinking if we’re talking about building a new footballing identity and carrying it through every level of the club.

Of course I hoped he might be an excellent tactician too after 3 years with Pep, but it’s not really worth much without the root and branch cultural and technical overhaul we need underpinning it.

Frankly, I’m amazed at how quickly and easily he’s got everyone united and pulling in the same direction! I honestly thought we were going to have a civil war in the dressing room when we opted for the rookie hire - one I thought might even be necessary - but everyone’s been giving everything for him since game one, including all of the players who supposedly want(ed) out! The guy’s certainly got charisma, I’ll give him that.

McNamara That Ghost...
04-01-2020, 08:07 PM

Well he has certainly given them a structure to work with.

This is the level of tactical genius he was up against though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9VQH9akwk

I am invisible
04-01-2020, 08:48 PM
I love how he’s speaking in English with a Norwegian accent to the Molde players - reminds me of when Steve McClaren tried to talk Dutch...