PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Chelsea (away)

McNamara That Ghost...
21-01-2020, 10:09 PM
Martinelli MotM obviously. :ninja:

Well done lads somehow avoiding defeat with a Mustafi and David Luiz special.

12 draws. Survival is on!

Marc Overmars
21-01-2020, 10:12 PM
A really good point. Well done to the team for not folding after that Mustafi special. Another step closer to the magic 40.

Bournemouth winning means now only 2 teams have won less games than us. What a time to be alive.

Niall_Quinn
I'll take it. Any team that can come back from a Mustafi special and still get a draw has some hope.

Fortunately the chavs (and their fans) are proper shite.

Niall_Quinn
A really good point. Well done to the team for not folding after that Mustafi special. Another step closer to the magic 40.

Bournemouth winning means now only 2 teams have won less games than us. What a time to be alive.

Fewer :sulk:

Letters
21-01-2020, 10:13 PM
Drawing Drawing Arsenal :bow:

Letters
21-01-2020, 10:13 PM
Fewer :sulk:

:gp:

Xhaka Can’t
21-01-2020, 10:14 PM
To all those who were at the game, you’ve done our club proud.

Letters
21-01-2020, 10:17 PM
To all those who were at the game*, you’ve done our club proud.

*exept Mustafi

Niall_Quinn
21-01-2020, 10:18 PM
I had precisely zero hope for a result when we were Mustafied. I checked several times. Zero. Based on bitter and extensive experience.

I'm thinking something significant must have changed somewhere for us to be capable of that result. Hopefully somebody at the club knows what it is and can work with it.

Gooner23
21-01-2020, 10:18 PM
Missed the first half but great to see some fight in the team. We desperately need a new CB, what a collection of clowns we have.

Marc Overmars
21-01-2020, 10:20 PM
I had precisely zero hope for a result when we were Mustafied. I checked several times. Zero. Based on bitter and extensive experience.

I'm thinking something significant must have changed somewhere for us to be capable of that result. Hopefully somebody at the club knows what it is and can work with it.

Looking forward to the summer and seeing what Arteta can do once he weeds out the shit.

Gooner23
21-01-2020, 10:23 PM
*exept Mustafi

Even for their 2nd goal he is just ball watching and makes no attempt to attack the ball. What a waste of space.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-01-2020, 10:27 PM
Mustafi actually defended very well for most of the match, he cannot and never will cut out the absolute calamity though, which is why he has to be given the boot.

David Luiz suspension though so he'll probably remain for a bit. :rose:

dostoy
21-01-2020, 10:31 PM
At any time in the last 4 or 5 years till a few weeks ago, Arsenal would have lost this game.

Arteta has given Arsenal a new energy and a new purpose and it is good to see.

A CB is number one priority asap and Mustafi must be got rid of.

What a talent Martinelli is, he is better than Pepe but cost a small fraction of what Pepe did.

Fairy cake must leave as well but I've been saying that for years and he is still here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good result tonight though, well done Arsenal, credit where credit is due.

Marc Overmars
21-01-2020, 10:44 PM
Martinelli has surely cemented his starting spot for the remainder of the season. No logical reason why he shouldn’t be starting every game now.

The one bright light in a dire season.

Letters
21-01-2020, 10:51 PM
Seen a few highlights now. Just wondering if Luiz could have stayed on his feet - if you're going to give away a pel anyway then you might as well just concede the goal and stay on the pitch.
But Mustafi's brainfart was the root cause.
Martinelli's finish was nice and cool, Bellerin's goal was brilliant.
Overall, a good result in the circumstances.
Arteta deserves some time to work with this lot.

dazthegooner
21-01-2020, 10:51 PM
Agreed also Laca has so be benched we cannot to carry him.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-01-2020, 10:58 PM
Seen a few highlights now. Just wondering if Luiz could have stayed on his feet - if you're going to give away a pel anyway then you might as well just concede the goal and stay on the pitch.
But Mustafi's brainfart was the root cause.
Martinelli's finish was nice and cool, Bellerin's goal was brilliant.
Overall, a good result in the circumstances.
Arteta deserves some time to work with this lot.
Yup, he could have.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-01-2020, 11:16 PM
Mustafi got a bonus point on Fantasy Football. :bow:

Marc Overmars
22-01-2020, 06:43 AM
Xhaka was decent again I thought...

Fair play to Arteta if he’s managed to turn his fortunes around.

Bumble
22-01-2020, 07:18 AM
it was nice to do to a team what teams normally do to us... dominate possession, make a mistake at the back and goal. Martinelli is excellent. thought we played well and work hard but thought Chelsea were poor.... think they are only 4th because us, United and Spuds have been even worse.

another game another draw.... only 10 more points to reach the 40 point mark for the season. so that's good. I know we are 10 points behind Chelsea but if we could actually put a run together of 4 or 5 wins I would start fancying that we could sneak into top 4. although we are as likely to draw the next 4 or win them.

Özim
22-01-2020, 09:04 AM
A good result under the circumstances, we really needed a win but having gone down to 10 you'd take a point.

The good:

Martinelli was oustanding, as he has been alll season, don't understand why this guy has not had more game time, he works hard, is skillful, scores goals, he's a real menace to the opposition, seems to have only got into the team due to circumstances though (due to Auba being suspended).

Team worked hard after we went down to 10 credit to them and had good energy

Xhaka seemed better at CB then in midfield IMO, still not convinced about him to be honest, but he did OK last night.

Bellerin was decent too, scored a brilliant goal as well.

Now the bad:

Mustafi should have never played, he's a liability and has a mistake in him every 1 or 2 games, we had Holding on the bench but he should have played, horrendous decision to not play him instead and it cost us

Subs/formation - very poor, Arteta switches to a back 5 and decides to bring Holding on when we were actually doing OK, not long after we concede the 2nd goal, pretty poor tactically IMO.

For me Arteta has brought more energy and greater work rate to the team, but there are some real rookie mistakes we're seeing as well and only 7 points out of 18 isn't a good return so far, also agree Chelsea were poor, once we went down to 10 they lacked any real urgency/leadership, think it's the fact they have so many young players, they tend to lose form later on in the season if played regularly, they need more experienced players.

Özim
22-01-2020, 09:05 AM
it was nice to do to a team what teams normally do to us... dominate possession, make a mistake at the back and goal. Martinelli is excellent. thought we played well and work hard but thought Chelsea were poor.... think they are only 4th because us, United and Spuds have been even worse.

another game another draw.... only 10 more points to reach the 40 point mark for the season. so that's good. I know we are 10 points behind Chelsea but if we could actually put a run together of 4 or 5 wins I would start fancying that we could sneak into top 4. although we are as likely to draw the next 4 or win them.

We won't get into the top 4, there's no chance, we can't buy a win at the moment, our ony hope of CL football and the money that comes with it is the EL, we would focus on that if we have any sense.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-01-2020, 09:45 AM
It's typical that the one season we avoid defeat at both Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford is the season we're utter bobbins elsewhere. :lol:

Marc Overmars
22-01-2020, 09:48 AM
Yeah no chance of 4th place. As satisfied as we are with the fundamental work Arteta is doing, wins are still very scarce. We haven't won back to back games since the opening 2 games of the season and if you go further back to the end of last season, this is a very deep rooted rot.

Arteta is working from the ground up, there's been nothing for him to build on.

Mac76
22-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Mustafi should have never played, he's a liability and has a mistake in him every 1 or 2 games, we had Holding on the bench but he should have played, horrendous decision to not play him instead and it cost us

i'd have played Holding for sure but to be fair to arteta the one game he's seen Holding in was against Leeds when he gave the ball away several times, so i sort of understand why he might play mustafi as again he's not seen him as much as us and doesn't realise (though maybe he does now) just quite how bad he is

of course that's where people like freddie shoudld come into it, and say 'don't play mustafi' but freddie showed us he doesn't really have a clue anyway so it's no surprise

Mac76
22-01-2020, 11:06 AM
i've only just seen the highlights

brilliant goals from martinelli and hector

can't understand why Luiz was sent off though, i'm sure that doesn't normally happen when someone's fouled in the box

is it something to do with a clear goal-scoring opportunity or 'last man' or something?

Letters
22-01-2020, 11:22 AM
can't understand why Luiz was sent off though, i'm sure that doesn't normally happen when someone's fouled in the box

is it something to do with a clear goal-scoring opportunity or 'last man' or something?
I was thinking that. It wasn't a particularly nasty tackle and I thought they'd stopped all the "denying a goal-scoring opportunity" nonsense when the result of the foul is a penalty - in that case that IS a goal-scoring opportunity so just give him a yellow card and get on with it.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-01-2020, 11:34 AM
It's the Xhaka rule of a deliberate foul I think. Was trying to find out how long he is suspended for but the FA hasn't bothered updating their website yet.

The Xhaka rule doesn't get much use when it's not an Arsenal player involved. :ninja:

Mac76
22-01-2020, 11:36 AM
We should appeal IMO, as Letters says it wasn't a nasty tackle, just a clumsy intervention

Xhaka Can’t
22-01-2020, 11:46 AM
Yeah no chance of 4th place. As satisfied as we are with the fundamental work Arteta is doing, wins are still very scarce. We haven't won back to back games since the opening 2 games of the season and if you go further back to the end of last season, this is a very deep rooted rot.

Arteta is working from the ground up, there's been nothing for him to build on.

People need to remember that. This skid goes all the way back to last March.

The signs are that Arteta is stemming the bleeding but the patient still needs a lot of work to pull through.

I’m getting more confident with Arteta as time passes. He seems to know the issues and has or is developing a strategy to repair them.

Also, I think it has to be mentioned that brain fart aside, Mustafi worked his socks off all night and was effective.

The most disappointing aspect of last night was Ozil. This is his third chance with a manager, 4 if you include Freddie, and his response has been pathetic.

He is an expensive dead weight that we can’t get rid of soon enough.

Gooner23
22-01-2020, 12:19 PM
We should appeal IMO, as Letters says it wasn't a nasty tackle, just a clumsy intervention

Doesn't have to be nasty, if it is deliberate with no attempt to play the ball then its a red card. My issue is with the consistency in which the rule is applied.

Globalgunner
22-01-2020, 01:45 PM
Everything is subjective. If that tackle had occurred anywhere except inside the box it would certainly be a yellow. Dont forget the nasty Chelsea player will always dive in that situation. If Mustafi was ahead of play when the foul happened as some say. Then it should be rescinded. Bullshit call that would never happen to a Spurs, City, Pool or United player at home. Was it any worse than the tackle that stopped Pepe in our last game and nothing was given. The Refs are mentally almost always intimidated by the baying home crowd. Last decent EPL ref was Paul Durkin IMO

Was going through a web page of English referees and came up with this gem "Patrick Viera once was fined 25.000 pounds and banned for two matches for calling Andy D'Urso a man with "no personality".:d

Özim
22-01-2020, 01:53 PM
Doesn't have to be nasty, if it is deliberate with no attempt to play the ball then its a red card. My issue is with the consistency in which the rule is applied.

Yeah it's the double jeopardy rule, if it's deliberate you give the penalty away and get sent off, if it's not then it's just a penalty.

Letters
22-01-2020, 02:34 PM
In that case, I do think Luiz could have, you know, stayed on his feet. Concede the goal, stay on the pitch.
I appreciate it's a split-second thing but still, didn't help us. We conceded the goal anyway and had to play the rest with 10 men.

Özim
22-01-2020, 03:15 PM
In that case, I do think Luiz could have, you know, stayed on his feet. Concede the goal, stay on the pitch.
I appreciate it's a split-second thing but still, didn't help us. We conceded the goal anyway and had to play the rest with 10 men.

Yes it was Mustafis' error but Luiz didn't cover himself in glory either, but he's never been the best defender or decision maker to be fair.

Maestro
22-01-2020, 06:02 PM
The most disappointing aspect of last night was Ozil. This is his third chance with a manager, 4 if you include Freddie, and his response has been pathetic.

He is an expensive dead weight that we can’t get rid of soon enough.

This for me is an even more pressing issue than the CB situation and it appears every manager and quite a lot of fans are duped by this graduate fraud. His attitude stinks, has no application and no end product. This is something we simply cannot afford for someone in his position on the pitch.

I would drop him with no hesitation, whatsoever, and play Laca in the 10, Auba up top with Martinelli and Pepe out wide. We would lose absolutely nothing and Laca would contribute a lot more to the team in that position, without the striker's pressure he's currently under. We won't be keeping many clean sheets, but jesus we struggle to score more than a single goal in matches. Having Ozil sit there with no attcking output whatsoever, is killing us more than the lack of a top CB right now IMHO.

Master Splinter
22-01-2020, 07:43 PM
This for me is an even more pressing issue than the CB situation and it appears every manager and quite a lot of fans are duped by this graduate fraud. His attitude stinks, has no application and no end product. This is something we simply cannot afford for someone in his position on the pitch.

I would drop him with no hesitation, whatsoever, and play Laca in the 10, Auba up top with Martinelli and Pepe out wide. We would lose absolutely nothing and Laca would contribute a lot more to the team in that position, without the striker's pressure he's currently under. We won't be keeping many clean sheets, but jesus we struggle to score more than a single goal in matches. Having Ozil sit there with no attcking output whatsoever, is killing us more than the lack of a top CB right now IMHO.

It's our attack that's proving the most difficult thing to resolve. And Ozil hasn't been the answer to anything for a long time now.

I'm still expecting a few holdouts to make a case for him based on some mythical latent talent that has failed to manifest in recent years despite endless chances under four coaches.

I think it's also fair to blame Arteta and the club management for picking proven, hopeless liabilities like Ozil and Mustafi when there are other viable options that are either on the bench or have been sold/loaned out.

There's no doubt Arteta has improved the team in many aspects in a difficult period, but it's difficult to have sympathy if he's going to continue to pick players who have nothing worthwhile to offer in return. When you see a kid from South America and a kid playing out of position outperform seniors on a constant basis, it becomes even more baffling that you would choose to favour experienced wastrels.

Master Splinter
22-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Is the guy who thinks Saka is shit still here?

There's probably a weirdo who doesn't think much of Martinelli out there somewhere too.

fakeyank
22-01-2020, 08:16 PM

It's our attack that's proving the most difficult thing to resolve. And Ozil hasn't been the answer to anything for a long time now.

I'm still expecting a few holdouts to make a case for him based on some mythical latent talent that has failed to manifest in recent years despite endless chances under four coaches.

I think it's also fair to blame Arteta and the club management for picking proven, hopeless liabilities like Ozil and Mustafi when there are other viable options that are either on the bench or have been sold/loaned out.

There's no doubt Arteta has improved the team in many aspects in a difficult period, but it's difficult to have sympathy if he's going to continue to pick players who have nothing worthwhile to offer in return. When you see a kid from South America and a kid playing out of position outperform seniors on a constant basis, it becomes even more baffling that you would choose to favour experienced wastrels.

Dont know why we arent playing Ceballos in place of the fraud..

Master Splinter
22-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Dont know why we arent playing Ceballos in place of the fraud..

Ceballos was just as poor as Ozil under Emery, but you'd think it would be a clean slate now. For some reason, Arteta doesn't seem to rate Ceballos, Holding, Guendouzi or Willock. It has to be the only explanation for why they're barely playing while others continue to pub it up.

I can see why Smith Rowe was loaned out, but he was another like Saka who nearly always played well when he was given a chance. I can say with complete confidence that he would be an infinitely better option than Ozil. Even if he had got injured again.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-01-2020, 09:20 PM
Martinelli must be making an impression on Fleet Street

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/22/gabriel-martinelli-sheds-arsenal-shackles-jonathan-liew

Liew is a Spuds supporter I believe.

dazthegooner
23-01-2020, 07:10 AM
Well that explains why he looks like a c**t.

Bumble
23-01-2020, 07:27 AM
wonder how long before Real or barca come sniffing around Martinelli.

dazthegooner
23-01-2020, 07:31 AM
Reports saying Madrid already are and we're looking at trebling his wages.

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2020, 10:39 AM
Reports saying Madrid already are and we're looking at trebling his wages.

Hopefully that's just professional newspapers at work again, with their made-up from thin air talents. Quickest way to derail the kid is to turn him into a hype-star with all the trimmings.

Marc Overmars
23-01-2020, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately that’s what we will have to do if we want to keep him long term.

Mac76
23-01-2020, 10:54 AM
As far as it goes he did brilliantly with the goal on Tuesday but the real test would have been if Kante hadn't slipped - would Martinellii have got past him?

McNamara That Ghost...
23-01-2020, 11:28 AM
What if Stevie Me hadn't slipped over?

Just seems a weird thing to bring up.

Players make mistakes when they have someone running at them with speed.

Mac76
23-01-2020, 11:41 AM
What if Stevie Me hadn't slipped over?

Just seems a weird thing to bring up.

Players make mistakes when they have someone running at them with speed.

good point - you've answered my question - point withdrawn

coat duly got :getcoat: :lol:

Letters
23-01-2020, 12:03 PM
It's not the stupidest point. It was a great goal and a cool finish but the slip definitely contributed.
It wasn't like Henry's against Spurs where he basically ran past all of them and slotted it in.
He's definitely looking like the real deal though.

McNamara That Ghost...
23-01-2020, 12:26 PM
I'm not suggesting it doesn't contribute, I am only suggesting it doesn't necessarily detract from the goal.

Marc Overmars
23-01-2020, 12:28 PM
Kante would obviously get the ball because Martinelli's second touch went about 10 yards ahead of him. Players make mistakes all the time though and that's often because they've been forced into panic or to adjust to something unexpected from an opponent.

Regardless, running the length of the pitch and having the composure to finish still takes some doing.

Letters
23-01-2020, 12:52 PM
The finish was the best bit, having run all that way, having the coolness and skill to slot it past the 'keeper, that was impressive.

Mac76
23-01-2020, 12:54 PM
The finish was the best bit, having run all that way, having the coolness and skill to slot it past the 'keeper, that was impressive.

definitely, players often mess up the shot after a run like that

Marc Overmars
23-01-2020, 01:08 PM
When you have time, that’s the hardest part about finishing IMO. You’ve got what might feel like an age to weigh it up and choose your shot. It’s easy to hesitate and fluff your lines.

It’s more straight forward when you’ve got no time and you’re just trying to hit it on target in hope it beats the keeper.

Globalgunner
23-01-2020, 01:12 PM
When you have time, that’s the hardest part about finishing IMO. You’ve got what might feel like an age to weigh it up and choose your shot. It’s easy to hesitate and fluff your lines.

It’s more straight forward when you’ve got no time and you’re just trying to hit it on target in hope it beats the keeper.

This situation is commonly known at the Walcott conundrum

Penguin
23-01-2020, 02:37 PM
Ceballos was just as poor as Ozil under Emery, but you'd think it would be a clean slate now. For some reason, Arteta doesn't seem to rate Ceballos, Holding, Guendouzi or Willock. It has to be the only explanation for why they're barely playing while others continue to pub it up.

I can see why Smith Rowe was loaned out, but he was another like Saka who nearly always played well when he was given a chance. I can say with complete confidence that he would be an infinitely better option than Ozil. Even if he had got injured again.

Holding had a shocker against Leeds so I can see why Arteta doesn't trust him yet. It's a shame because that was probably the worst kind of game for Rob to play in, as a first game back from injury.

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Kante would obviously get the ball because Martinelli's second touch went about 10 yards ahead of him. Players make mistakes all the time though and that's often because they've been forced into panic or to adjust to something unexpected from an opponent.

Regardless, running the length of the pitch and having the composure to finish still takes some doing.

That's right. You have to want to look up the pitch towards the opposition goal, rather than face your own goal anticipating the simple and safe sideways or backwards pass. You have to want to inject the blinding pace. You have to want to go straight at the opponent and put him under pressure. Poor first touch or not, the touch takes the ball in the right direction and at the right tempo. Which limits the time Kante has to react. Kante's not going to slip if we're doing our 2mph sideways bullshit.

And then you have to run full pelt with the ball tied to your foot, actually outpacing the defender. Few can do that. And finally you have to keep your head, make your decision and slot the ball into the net.

If there was any luck involved then Martinelli made it for himself with his positive attitude and play.

WMUG
23-01-2020, 09:45 PM
Hopefully that attitude won't be coached out of him like it probably would've been under Wenger. Bit soon to know what kind of manager Arteta will be in that regard.

KSE Comedy Club
24-01-2020, 02:24 PM
We should be nailing Martinelli down to a 10 year contact with a £350m buy out clause and then building the team around him and his pace imo.

He is a serious, serious talent.

Master Splinter
24-01-2020, 08:23 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo at 18: 50 appearances, 9 goals
Lionel Messi at 18: 25 appearances, 8 goals.

Gabriel Martinelli at 18: 21 appearances, 10 goals.

https://twitter.com/ltarsenal/status/1220723744609652736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1220723744609652736&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwi tter.min.html%231220723744609652736

Ronaldo :haha:.

Messi :haha:.

Martinelli :bow:.

"We are of course sorry he did not cost £150 million" - Arsene Wenger, January 21 2020.