PDA

View Full Version : Summer Transfer Temps and Journeymen

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

McNamara That Ghost...
06-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Good place to start this with this news.

bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51401149

Transfer Window won't close early this year, closes on 1st September, at 17:00 BST.

Niall_Quinn
06-02-2020, 10:08 PM
/thread

Mac76
06-02-2020, 11:21 PM
"Premier League clubs have voted to change the summer transfer window to bring it in line with the rest of Europe."

Leavers :haha:

"Take back control" :haha:

Bonkis :haha:

Fuckrage :haha:

Ukippers :haha:

Little englanders :haha:

Northerners :haha:

Racists :haha:

Daily Maul :haha:

The Scum :haha:

Özim
07-02-2020, 08:56 AM
We're going to get that thing where we leave it until the end of the window again aren't we, which happens to be a month into the season, was never much of a fan of that, you should be bringing players in as early as possible, preferably by latest mid July.

dazthegooner
07-02-2020, 09:06 AM
We've left the EU get over it.

Mac76
07-02-2020, 11:21 AM
believe me i never wasn't 'over it' - this is where the fun really starts, i'm looking forward to maxing out the 'haha' emoji with stories of leavers losing their jobs :lol:

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2020, 11:44 AM
We need to drive Mustafi back across the Channel and then relentlessly all the way back to Germany. Whatever the cost may be!

Bumble
07-02-2020, 01:15 PM
We need to drive Mustafi back across the Channel and then relentlessly all the way back to Germany. Whatever the cost may be!

wont he be declined a work permit as he cant still be a german international. so no work permit means he cant play.

dostoy
07-02-2020, 01:25 PM
Get rid of fucking Ozil.

That is the number one thing Arsenal HAVE HAVE HAVE to do.

No passion, no soul, no heart, no ability, no determination, no strength, therefore no value.

Get rid of the fucker.

Mac76
07-02-2020, 02:39 PM
i think he will definitely go in the summer, as there'll only be one year left on his contract

dostoy
07-02-2020, 03:19 PM
i think he will definitely go in the summer, as there'll only be one year left on his contract

Tell me HOW its going to happen ?

No club is going to want a useless player who is regularly sick, on massive wages AND Arsenal will want a fee.

Tell me how ?

GP
07-02-2020, 05:27 PM
MLS

fakeyank
07-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Tell me HOW its going to happen ?

No club is going to want a useless player who is regularly sick, on massive wages AND Arsenal will want a fee.

Tell me how ?

Ozil has a HUGE fan following in Muslim countries. We can get a good amount for him from Turkey, Qatar and UAE. Probably wont make up the 42 million we paid for him, but getting him off our book and getting half the amount is a great win IMO.

Plus there is China.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2020, 10:06 PM
Hope we replace him if he goes. Because we don't have another player in the middle with a fraction of the talent. Nor do we have anyone else there who can pass a ball. So I don't want to be seeing Ozil heading out and Stan banking the savings to make his balance sheet look better.

fakeyank
10-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Hope we replace him if he goes. Because we don't have another player in the middle with a fraction of the talent. Nor do we have anyone else there who can pass a ball. So I don't want to be seeing Ozil heading out and Stan banking the savings to make his balance sheet look better.

I just want him gone at this point. Its not my wallet but I cannot bare to think he is taking up a space in the squad doing piss all most of the season.

I am invisible
11-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Unless Özil is prepared to take something like an 80% pay cut, and bring his wages more in line with his return, then we can't afford him - it's that simple.

If our players want to be taking home that kind of money (and this goes for all of them) then they've got to be bringing CL revenue to the table - we've given them an extra 3 years on CL wages to prove that they can do it, but it hasn't happened, and now we're out of time. At this point, I think we need to consider offers for any player earning over £90k/wk - the only player above that level who I would say is 100% safe is Leno.

dostoy
11-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Unless Özil is prepared to take something like an 80% pay cut, and bring his wages more in line with his return,

If he played for free, that would still be too much.

He is literally useless and I cannot see ANY club wanting him.

The only way is a 1 year loan deal which would take him up to the end of his contract.

Arsenal would have to pay at least 200k a week for a player who would literally do nothing for them.

Who is going to want a truly diabolical player ?

Bumble
11-02-2020, 02:00 PM
If he played for free, that would still be too much.

He is literally useless and I cannot see ANY club wanting him.

The only way is a 1 year loan deal which would take him up to the end of his contract.

Arsenal would have to pay at least 200k a week for a player who would literally do nothing for them.

Who is going to want a truly diabolical player ?

Paying 200k a week for a player doing nothing is still better than the 350k we currently pay. but who will be willing to pay that. there are only a few clubs who couldn't even pay 150k.

Özim
12-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Mkhitaryan will most likely be back in the summer unless we reduce our demands, Roma will probably pay 9-10 million max, we want 20 million apparently.

He's 31, on 200k and frankly has been really poor for us, we should cut our losses and accept what we can get.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/11/henrikh-mkhitaryan-will-return-to-arsenal-from-roma-unless-gunners-lower-asking-price-12219239/

Globalgunner
12-02-2020, 01:37 PM
Mkhitaryan will most likely be back in the summer unless we reduce our demands, Roma will probably pay 9-10 million max, we want 20 million apparently.

He's 31, on 200k and frankly has been really poor for us, we should cut our losses and accept what we can get.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/11/henrikh-mkhitaryan-will-return-to-arsenal-from-roma-unless-gunners-lower-asking-price-12219239/

Hopefully someone sees reason. Ozil and Mikhi on 550k pw warming the benches. Eeek! Thats more than the UK will pay Brussels for Brexit

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
12-02-2020, 01:59 PM
I won't be surprised if he is still our player by the end of the summer.

KSE Comedy Club
12-02-2020, 02:22 PM
believe me i never wasn't 'over it' - this is where the fun really starts, i'm looking forward to maxing out the 'haha' emoji with stories of leavers losing their jobs :lol:

It'll never happen :coffee:

fakeyank
12-02-2020, 02:27 PM

Just let him go for whatever we can get.. not worth keeping.

Penguin
12-02-2020, 04:50 PM
£10mill really is peanuts though.

Considering our financial situation (and the fact that we need to buy players in other positions) there's no chance of us signing an established replacement. It will either have to be another Ceballos type loan or some unknown youth. But that way at least we're getting £10m plus whatever wage savings we get (probably £6m+) which can help cover us on other signings.

Or we could keep him, we'll be in 4 competitions and playing every 3 days so we'll get mileage out of him at least for one more year while we sort out other issues.

I'd go with the first option but only if that extra money gets added to our transfer budget.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Chelsea signing Ziyech by the looks of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51474234

:rose:

Marc Overmars
12-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Sancho is also expected to leave Dortmund.

United are the front runners.

Özim
12-02-2020, 10:49 PM
I think we'll struggle to sign players in the summer, we've got a manager who nobody knows and has no record, probably won't have CL football and probably won't have much moneyand will lose our best player Aubameyang (and probably will keep hold of Xhaka and Mustafi).

So far we seem to be linked to a few lower league players and some ageing cheap players, if that's the way we're going to go are days as a club with any chance of challenging for anything are well and truly gone.

GP
13-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Sancho is also expected to leave Dortmund.

United are the front runners.

I can't imagine why he would want to go there.

Globalgunner
13-02-2020, 09:48 AM
United will keep bribing players with huge wages to join their rolling crap show. They can afford to keep throwing money at the problem. maybe Poch will drop in to save them

Mac76
13-02-2020, 10:05 AM
(and probably will keep hold of Xhaka and Mustafi).

you just made my morning much, much worse... :ilt:

Özim
13-02-2020, 10:06 AM
Man U have no problem attracting top players, Pogba, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Fernandes all huge money, they have an endless money pit to delve into.

They're not successful at the moment but are always in for the top players and the top players want to come after seeing them being so successful for some many years.

When you look at other clubs and how they go out and buy whoever they like you can't help but be envious, it sounds like we've got very little to spend, whilst Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Spurs and Liverpool will have plenty and they're all already better than us, even the likes of Everton will spend money no doubt.

This self sustainable model is a shocker and really a prehistoric model nowadays unless you're successful, we wasted so much money and have allowed a lot to go down the pan thanks to failure to keep players contracted or sell them before they are worth next to nothing, when you're trying to be self sustainable that's really amateurish.

Even last summers' spend was basically spread over several seasons (some of it all due next summer) so we've already hindered ourselves in future windows and with no CL to prop us up unless we somehow win the EL financially we won't have much.

Just to add to that we've now employed a rookie manager with zero experience to try and get us out of this whole, what a shambles.

Mac76
13-02-2020, 10:07 AM
United will keep bribing players with huge wages to join their rolling crap show. They can afford to keep throwing money at the problem. maybe Poch will drop in to save them

like he 'saved' spuds by not winning anything and got sacked because they were on the slide?

i'm happy for him to go there, where he will inevtiably fail and be shown up for the whining fake he really is

anyway there is talk of Allegri going to Moan U

that's yet another top manager we've let slip through our hands...

Özim
13-02-2020, 10:10 AM
like he 'saved' spuds by not winning anything and got sacked because they were on the slide?

i'm happy for him to go there, where he will inevtiably fail and be shown up for the whining fake he really is

anyway there is talk of Allegri going to Moan U

that's yet another top manager we've let slip through our hands...

Don't worry though, we've got Guardiola lite, he's the next big thing, that will fix everything.

Marc Overmars
13-02-2020, 02:23 PM
Ziyech is only costing Chelsea between 30-40m.

Seems like a bargain in today’s market really.

Özim
13-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Ziyech is only costing Chelsea between 30-40m.

Seems like a bargain in today’s market really.

Yeah not bad value, other clubs seem to be able to identify these guys why can't we. Instead we went and paid 72 million for Pepe (which apparently Lille were happy to accept because they thought he wasn't worth that much) and stagger the fee over who knows how many seasons.

What's worse is that he hasn't settled at all and that we actually needed to spend money on defenders at the time, if we could have signed someone for the price Ziyech is going for (£33.3 million potentially rising to £36.6 million) we'd have had about £40 million to spend on a defender.

The whole transfer policy is so flawed at this club, either we go too cheap and sign nobodies or if we do buy big we overpay for players that aren't worth the money, we don't even spend the money in the right places.

We could have signed Ziyech last summer but had no interest.

Mac76
13-02-2020, 07:29 PM
i think the Pepe problem is partly down to the fact that Emery and Freddie were out of their depth and Arteta is a rookie who it seems is already being taken for a ride by the eternal teachers's pets such as Xhaka, Mustafi etc.

he just needs coaching from someone more experienced and a consistent place in the team - forget all that sh*t about how hard he tries in training - anyone who can score two freekicks in ten minutes should get more backing

Chippy
13-02-2020, 09:22 PM
I think we'll struggle to sign players in the summer, we've got a manager who nobody knows and has no record, probably won't have CL football and probably won't have much moneyand will lose our best player Aubameyang (and probably will keep hold of Xhaka and Mustafi).

So far we seem to be linked to a few lower league players and some ageing cheap players, if that's the way we're going to go are days as a club with any chance of challenging for anything are well and truly gone.
Have you thought about seeing a therapist?
Samaritans?

Mac76
13-02-2020, 10:17 PM

Maybe we can get a group rate... :lol:

I am invisible
13-02-2020, 10:34 PM
i think the Pepe problem is partly down to the fact that Emery and Freddie were out of their depth and Arteta is a rookie who it seems is already being taken for a ride by the eternal teachers's pets such as Xhaka, Mustafi etc.

he just needs coaching from someone more experienced and a consistent place in the team - forget all that sh*t about how hard he tries in training - anyone who can score two freekicks in ten minutes should get more backing
He’s too one-footed - that’s his biggest problem right now. He’s got all the skill in the world, but until he gets comfortable switching to his right foot when he needs to he’s always going to be predictable in open play. Hopefully he’s been working on it - could be a very good player if he does...

Chippy
13-02-2020, 11:02 PM
Maybe we can get a group rate... :lol:

:cheers:

Özim
14-02-2020, 10:02 AM
Samaritans?

I already have.

First I went and found a really really cheap one, just because they don't cost £500 an hour it doesn't mean they're not as good, but that didn't work.

So then I spoke to someone retired and they said they'd do it for free, again it didn't work as, he was on holiday most of the time and wasn't too fussed.

Finally I went out and spent big money on someone, they were a lawyer not a therapist, but were really expensive, again it didn't work.

Trouble is it's getting worse now, I was thinking of giving a cheap one another go, someone with no experience but who could potentially be the best around, what do you think?

Chippy
14-02-2020, 11:55 AM
I already have.

First I went and found a really really cheap one, just because they don't cost £500 an hour it doesn't mean they're not as good, but that didn't work.

So then I spoke to someone retired and they said they'd do it for free, again it didn't work as, he was on holiday most of the time and wasn't too fussed.

Finally I went out and spent big money on someone, they were a lawyer not a therapist, but were really expensive, again it didn't work.

Trouble is it's getting worse now, I was thinking of giving a cheap one another go, someone with no experience but who could potentially be the best around, what do you think?

Erm....It might be cheaper and easier to change teams :shrug:

Özim
14-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Erm....It might be cheaper and easier to change teams :shrug:

Tell Kroenke that.

Bumble
14-02-2020, 01:15 PM
He’s too one-footed - that’s his biggest problem right now. He’s got all the skill in the world, but until he gets comfortable switching to his right foot when he needs to he’s always going to be predictable in open play. Hopefully he’s been working on it - could be a very good player if he does...

Messi is fairly one footed and he does ok.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-02-2020, 01:37 PM
I was hoping Arteta would be working on ways of getting him to isolate the opposition full back so he can cut in with only the keeper and/or the CB to beat ala Robben. I think even if his right foot it only for standing on, he does just need to choose the outside a little more and focus more on quick one twos with Bellerin rather than having to beat 3 players at a time.

I am invisible
14-02-2020, 08:45 PM
I was hoping Arteta would be working on ways of getting him to isolate the opposition full back so he can cut in with only the keeper and/or the CB to beat ala Robben. I think even if his right foot it only for standing on, he does just need to choose the outside a little more and focus more on quick one twos with Bellerin rather than having to beat 3 players at a time.
I’m not expecting him to be Santi-levels of ambidextrous after a couple of training sessions or anything - he just needs to be a little more willing and ready to use his right foot if that’s where the opening is. Make himself less predictable. That ability to keep opponents guessing and act quickly and decisively is worth more than all the tricks and step overs in the world.

I remember them highlighting something in the pre-match warm up of Arteta’s first game in charge, where he had Nelson practicing cutting onto his left and getting shots away quickly from the edge of the area - sure enough, he did exactly that in the game and we got our goal from it. Wasn’t a brilliant connection as it happened - took bit of a deflection - but it was enough to force the ball through to Auba’s waiting feet. If he was drilling that into Nelson from game one then I’m guessing he probably wants the same from Pepe?

Niall_Quinn
14-02-2020, 11:58 PM
Pepe's pretty shite tbf. Because he's one of ours we give him x-hundred and seventy chances to actually do something on the pitch. Which means, sometime around the summer of 2022, fans are going to become disillusioned with the New Theo Walcott.

I have no time for players like Pepe. Do you realise how pampered these kids are? Sure, it's a new league, a new language, all of that. So we expect some period of adjustment. But we don't expect him to be utterly clueless. Everything is on tap for these guys to help them to adjust. 70mill quid? JFHC! That would have funded our summer.

Maybe he'll come good. But I doubt he'll ever be consistent. He's got Theo's football brain stuffed in Gervinho's football carcass. This is not a good combination.

I am invisible
15-02-2020, 08:43 AM
He hasn’t blown me away, but I’m not going to write him off just yet. Adjustment period aside, he arrived very late in the window, didn’t get a pre season, walked into a club in absolute meltdown and has had to work with 3 new coaches in the space of 6 months - most of our players have looked terrible in that same period, if we’re being honest.

I’m also kind of relaxed about it for now as we have Saka, Martinelli and Nelson there as alternate options (and two of those have been rare high points in a shit year).

Whether we should have signed him in the first place is a different matter - absolutely crazy deal in our current state, and a total PR stunt, with little other thought behind it. Raul’s job should be under scrutiny after that (which is why we really do need an effective board)...

Niall_Quinn
15-02-2020, 11:27 AM
He hasn’t blown me away, but I’m not going to write him off just yet. Adjustment period aside, he arrived very late in the window, didn’t get a pre season, walked into a club in absolute meltdown and has had to work with 3 new coaches in the space of 6 months - most of our players have looked terrible in that same period, if we’re being honest.

I’m also kind of relaxed about it for now as we have Saka, Martinelli and Nelson there as alternate options (and two of those have been rare high points in a shit year).

Whether we should have signed him in the first place is a different matter - absolutely crazy deal in our current state, and a total PR stunt, with little other thought behind it. Raul’s job should be under scrutiny after that (which is why we really do need an effective board)...

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I blame the guys who signed him, more than I blame the player. Any fool knew we needed a quality CB, and quality CBs cost - 70mill quid. So we splashed it on a winger who doesn't like to play the wing.

Penguin
17-02-2020, 01:15 PM
I read an article about Pepe when we signed him and it said he was a risk taker, he was brave and audacious. Sometimes that skill or flick didn't work, sometimes he lost the ball, but when it did work it usually ended up in a great goal-scoring opportunity for his team.

In an Arsenal shirt I've seen no evidence of any of that. If anything he's the opposite, he plays it safe and backwards even when there's an opportunity to get forward. His close control is pretty good, but he doesn't look particularly good at dribbling at pace one on one against a full back.

Maybe it's just a confidence issue, but every time he's had a good game and I think he's going to really push on he just fizzles out again. I hope I'm wrong but I'm starting to think we've got the wrong player.

Mac76
17-02-2020, 01:55 PM
I read an article about Pepe when we signed him and it said he was a risk taker, he was brave and audacious. Sometimes that skill or flick didn't work, sometimes he lost the ball, but when it did work it usually ended up in a great goal-scoring opportunity for his team.

In an Arsenal shirt I've seen no evidence of any of that. If anything he's the opposite, he plays it safe and backwards even when there's an opportunity to get forward. His close control is pretty good, but he doesn't look particularly good at dribbling at pace one on one against a full back.

Maybe it's just a confidence issue, but every time he's had a good game and I think he's going to really push on he just fizzles out again. I hope I'm wrong but I'm starting to think we've got the wrong player.

i do't think that characterises his performance yesterday at all, he was looking to take players on and get it into the box mostly - it's mainly Xhaka and Musatafi who pass it back and forth endlessly.

i iwasn't that impressed with his corners but overall he did well - a close second to Saka for MOTM

Marc Overmars
17-02-2020, 01:57 PM

He’s not very polished, if anything it’s his athleticism that probably makes things happen for him rather than any specific skill set he may have. I think we’ve horrendously overpaid but I think he could be a useful player for us if given a run in the team. He’s been in and out too much this season when he should really be starting every week because we aren’t exactly blessed with options who bring that air of unpredictability.

Globalgunner
17-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Id like to blame it on him being young, but at 24 he isnt. He needs to learn to use the right foot even if just to improve his dribbling skills. It would make him less predictable. Id prevail on him to watch reels on Bernardo Silva. Now thats a player thats totally irrepressible. If he can be 80% as good as Silva. Pepe would be worth the whole 72m.

That said our team has been shite this last 2 years or more. There are no genuine match winners in the squad and confidence is low all round. He joined a club in crisis. I cant blame him for all the mediocrity thats all around him. Still waiting for the light bulb to go off in his head. If it does he could be a great player

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
17-02-2020, 02:06 PM
Pepe will prove all his doubters wrong in time.

I am invisible
17-02-2020, 02:47 PM

To be fair he did everything I was asking of him yesterday (i.e. was willing and ready to use his right when he needed to, was far quicker and more decisive with his actions and he did his bit defensively) and I think it made a difference? Kept his markers guessing and off-balance, and stopped the whole oppo defence getting back and getting organised as he tries to work an opening on his left.

I do think there's a very good player in there - my main gripe with him (and when I say 'him' I mean Raul and Emery) was always that he felt like a bit of a hush-signing to cushion the blow of ending up with Luiz after we lost Koscielny and Monreal, had to loan Saliba back to St Etienne, failed in a bid for Upamecano, and failed to move Mustafi on. (And potentially rinsed most of next summer's budget!)

Niall_Quinn
17-02-2020, 07:39 PM
Pepe will prove all his doubters wrong in time.

I hope so. But how many players have we said that about? It's been a long time since one of these whizz-kids actually delivered. Our big signing successes have come from established talent. Alexis. Auba. Ozil for a while and maybe again some time in the future. Unless I'm missing somebody who we actually managed to develop, since Fabregas. We have Bellerin, a player going backwards (literally). Chambers was doing well at Southampton, but he's been hot and cold. Gervinho, of course. That dreadful Brazilian full back too. We don't have many success stories to tell.

Even Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, they never fully developed into the players they could have been.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Pepe doesn't have the injury juju of that last triumvirate and has far more ability in the final third than Gerforeheadio.

6 goals and 6 assists and yet far too many people have claimed he is a waste of space. I heard he has a better goal to minute ratio than Sterling (haven't checked this is true) who most consider rightfully a world class player and that he has the third best contribution to goals tally in the prem...(again haven't checked the source of if it's true).

Managers need to stop randomly dropping him now. He is obviously a talent and one a club like ours absolutely needs to make work for us given the outlay.

Globalgunner
18-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Rumours Saka is playing hardball. Surely 20kpw should be enough to keep him. No?

Marc Overmars
18-02-2020, 02:32 PM
Rumours Saka is playing hardball. Surely 20kpw should be enough to keep him. No?

Doubt that. Every club in the league could double, maybe triple that at least. Too much money sloshing around now, so we will simply have to pay (within reason) whatever it is he wants. We’re talking about a player who could be here for the next decade, so hopefully we just get it done and ask the questions later because he’s shown enough to suggest it will be worth the investment.

Mac76
18-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Doubt that. Every club in the league could double, maybe triple that at least. Too much money sloshing around now, so we will simply have to pay (within reason) whatever it is he wants. We’re talking about a player who could be here for the next decade, so hopefully we just get it done and ask the questions later because he’s shown enough to suggest it will be worth the investment.

:gp:

GP
18-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Saka has a very high ceiling and if anything, his agent knows that. We aren't going to keep him with a lowball offer of 20k. It's 60k at least in this market.

Letters
18-02-2020, 02:54 PM
You're right, but holy shit football is terrible!

Globalgunner
18-02-2020, 03:08 PM
You're right, but holy shit football is terrible!

60kpw for an 18 year old....My life has suddenly become terrible. I remember when we were paying Vieira 60kpw and Ashley Cole almost died because we only offered 55kpw.

I am invisible
18-02-2020, 03:32 PM
We’re paying Guendouzi and Saliba £40k/wk, so I don’t see us getting away with offering Saka (and Martinelli) any less than that, if their agents are even half way competent.

Unfortunately we can’t afford to get into a pissing contest on wages with the CL big boys, so past a point we’ll just have to hope that the promise of regular games and a prominent role in the side will be enough to keep them here for a good few years to come.

Yet another good reason to shift anyone in that £90k+/wk club who isn’t offering a good ROI this summer - we’re gonna need that money free to redirect it to anyone who is earning it...

Niall_Quinn
18-02-2020, 06:22 PM

You mean his piece of shit agent? Agents will ruin every kid in the game. All about the money, and the player hasn't even got one solid season under his belt yet. He's promising, he's delivering right now, but let's get past the false dawn threshold first. Hope this isn't true because I'll lose every last ounce of respect for the kid.

Niall_Quinn
18-02-2020, 06:29 PM
Pepe doesn't have the injury juju of that last triumvirate and has far more ability in the final third than Gerforeheadio.

6 goals and 6 assists and yet far too many people have claimed he is a waste of space. I heard he has a better goal to minute ratio than Sterling (haven't checked this is true) who most consider rightfully a world class player and that he has the third best contribution to goals tally in the prem...(again haven't checked the source of if it's true).

Managers need to stop randomly dropping him now. He is obviously a talent and one a club like ours absolutely needs to make work for us given the outlay.

It's a very, very low bar at the moment. How many players can you name in the PL who are above bog ordinary by yesteryear's standards? Mane, Salah, and who else? Probably a couple of gypos like De Brown and Silva. Hazard's gone. Auba's looking a world-beater in this league, but nobody else wanted him when we snagged him. So if Pepe wasn't statistically superior in this league I'd be severely worried. At 72mill he should at least be as good as the horrifically overrated Sterling. He'll have to do a lot more to make me think there's a worthwhile player in there. Right now I can see he'll give us something every now and again, but that just makes him another passenger and we have more than enough of those. Maybe he'll need the whole season to get himself sorted, maybe he'll emerge next season. But I lost count of the number of seasons I used to say the same for Theo Walcott. Too many similarities. So far. I'm eager to be wrong.

Niall_Quinn
18-02-2020, 06:34 PM
60kpw for an 18 year old....My life has suddenly become terrible. I remember when we were paying Vieira 60kpw and Ashley Cole almost died because we only offered 55kpw.

Fuck him if he allows his agent to derail his career. Let him go to some big, faceless cash club and have a big unveiling ceremony and then settle into the reality of being a highly paid minnow in a big pond. If that's his ambition then I'm certain his agent can deliver it for him, because that's what agents do - ruin sport and maximise corporate careers. If that's what the player's in it for then it was only ever going to be a short-lived romance anyway. But if he sticks with us and puts his time in, and puts the sport before the cash, he'll get way more in the long run. Way more love from the fans, way more development and growth as a player and, yes, way more cash. At his age, the big money move is surely still some way into the distance? But maybe not, in this bankrupt thing masquerading as sport.

I hope he's sensible.

Niall_Quinn
18-02-2020, 06:39 PM
We’re paying Guendouzi and Saliba £40k/wk, so I don’t see us getting away with offering Saka (and Martinelli) any less than that, if their agents are even half way competent.

Unfortunately we can’t afford to get into a pissing contest on wages with the CL big boys, so past a point we’ll just have to hope that the promise of regular games and a prominent role in the side will be enough to keep them here for a good few years to come.

Yet another good reason to shift anyone in that £90k+/wk club who isn’t offering a good ROI this summer - we’re gonna need that money free to redirect it to anyone who is earning it...

They're kids making their first moves. Why shouldn't they have to work their way up? I think we need a new rule where young players BORROW the cash to be trained by a club. For each year they stay, the loan is partially written off. After a set time it expires completely, otherwise they have to pay the full balance (commensurate with the stupid cash they are demanding in wages of course) upon transfer. In any other endeavour, the organisation that puts in the R&D gets to claw that back in sales. We've had Bosman that makes it "fair" for the (as it turned out) greedy, piss-taking players. Now let's have some consideration for the clubs. It's fair.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
19-02-2020, 02:08 PM
I think once you get into (and I know this is somewhat an arbitrary figure) 60k+ per week, you're starting to say 'we believe in you as THE left back and perhaps more than the actual guy we bought to play there for 25 million in Tierney'.

We shouldn't be going overboard, it's not even been a full half season of convincing he's done, he doesn't actually even want to play left back and we have 2 other competent left backs! He hasn't come anywhere near to proving his quality beyond doubt at left wing too, which is ultimately where he wants to play. He will need to outdo Martinelli in the short term for that.

I would say up to 40k...perhaps a little bit beyond. I worry with his comments of 'I leave that down to my parents and agent' that we will be subjected to the greed of his parents and/or agent though. You're 18 now kiddo, that's a gown arse man in the eyes of the law....it's down to you.

But hey, I get why they peddle that line...

Özim
19-02-2020, 02:14 PM
You mean his piece of shit agent? Agents will ruin every kid in the game. All about the money, and the player hasn't even got one solid season under his belt yet. He's promising, he's delivering right now, but let's get past the false dawn threshold first. Hope this isn't true because I'll lose every last ounce of respect for the kid.

He's played a few decent games but that's football today, you don't have to earn you salary, just play a couple good games and your salary skyrockets from an already ridiculous one to a ridiculous one times x3 or 4.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
19-02-2020, 02:17 PM
It's a very, very low bar at the moment. How many players can you name in the PL who are above bog ordinary by yesteryear's standards? Mane, Salah, and who else? Probably a couple of gypos like De Brown and Silva. Hazard's gone. Auba's looking a world-beater in this league, but nobody else wanted him when we snagged him. So if Pepe wasn't statistically superior in this league I'd be severely worried. At 72mill he should at least be as good as the horrifically overrated Sterling. He'll have to do a lot more to make me think there's a worthwhile player in there. Right now I can see he'll give us something every now and again, but that just makes him another passenger and we have more than enough of those. Maybe he'll need the whole season to get himself sorted, maybe he'll emerge next season. But I lost count of the number of seasons I used to say the same for Theo Walcott. Too many similarities. So far. I'm eager to be wrong.
The guy's main attribute is being able to dribble.....Theo's was running into space... so I don't think he is especially comparable to Theo. Also for all Theo's frustrations, his numbers were good when fit. Much better than players we've had in the past with more ability.

As you've suggested, Pepe is on course so there's way too much gnashing of teeth over him.

Sterling has gone off the boil a little recently but questioning whether he was worth 55 million at the time was one of the biggest miscalculations I've ever made about a player. The guy is world class.

Özim
19-02-2020, 02:20 PM
I think once you get into (and I know this is somewhat an arbitrary figure) 60k+ per week, you're starting to say 'we believe in you as THE left back and perhaps more than the actual guy we bought to play there for 25 million in Tierney'.

We shouldn't be going overboard, it's not even been a full half season of convincing he's done, he doesn't actually even want to play left back and we have 2 other competent left backs! He hasn't come anywhere near to proving his quality beyond doubt at left wing too, which is ultimately where he wants to play. He will need to outdo Martinelli in the short term for that.

I would say up to 40k...perhaps a little bit beyond. I worry with his comments of 'I leave that down to my parents and agent' that we will be subjected to the greed of his parents and/or agent though. You're 18 now kiddo, that's a gown arse man in the eyes of the law....it's down to you.

But hey, I get why they peddle that line...

Let's be honest, Tierney has been a disaster so far, he may be talented but he arrived injured, played a few games then got injured again, why do we always find these injury prone players?

As for Saka he doesn't really deserve a pay rise based on a handful of games, but again if we rated him why does he only have 18 months left, if he wants to play hard ball then let him and sell him in the summer for 30 million and be done with it, football should be his primary concern not money, if he turns out good riches will follow (well he's already rich but more riches).

fakeyank
19-02-2020, 02:34 PM
If I were Arsenal, I'd give him an offer of 40K per week plus huge incentives and a written promise that we will revisit his contract again in a year if the performance continues. If he declines, I'd put a 50 million price tag on Saka for the summer and also tell him that he will not play a single game next season if he goes unsold. Let's see what top teams come to touch an 18 year old who had a few decent games in 2020 and then didnt play an entire season after that. Good luck playing in the championship after that.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
19-02-2020, 05:22 PM
Let's be honest, Tierney has been a disaster so far, he may be talented but he arrived injured, played a few games then got injured again, why do we always find these injury prone players?

As for Saka he doesn't really deserve a pay rise based on a handful of games, but again if we rated him why does he only have 18 months left, if he wants to play hard ball then let him and sell him in the summer for 30 million and be done with it, football should be his primary concern not money, if he turns out good riches will follow (well he's already rich but more riches).

I've no doubt it is....but at that age and of his particular culture, it wouldn't be unprecedented to put too much in the people around you, I.E agent, parents etc the advice of which will obviously have a big influence. Let's not forget he's playing where he would rather not and other clubs may sway him with the offer of playing left wing. So ironically 'focusing on football' may still take him away from here.

Personally I'm not especially worried and I think of the 18 month contracts we have to sort his is probably the one that will be the most straight forward.

selassie
20-02-2020, 04:04 PM

Exactly.

Some posters on here are living in the past. We are in no position to dictate terms to a kid who is attracting interest from better teams than us.

He is a very good and consistent young player from what we have seen. Pay him the market rate.

Mac76
21-02-2020, 10:49 AM
apparently Juve are prepared to offer Ramsey to Moan U in return for Pogba

Ramsey :pal:

Bumble
29-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Ozil agent has said he wont leave before the end of his contract. And at 31/32 could still get a good free transfer deal at the end of it.

dazthegooner
29-02-2020, 04:44 PM
He's even said that he thinks he'll be offered a new deal :lol:

Master Splinter
29-02-2020, 06:10 PM
If no-one buys players like Lacazette, Ozil and Mustafi in the summer, it's the club's fault.

But if Arteta continues to play them with better options available and they continue to be a deterimental presence week after week, then it's 100% on him.

As soon as we started desperately splashing big money on players, the team went downhill. It's a metaphor for the PL and the other big leagues over the past decade.

dazthegooner
07-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Well it looks like Auba wants £300,000 a week to stay. https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/07/pierre-emerick-aubameyang-sets-contract-demands-stay-arsenal-12362706/?ITO=squid&ito=newsnow-feed

McNamara That Ghost...
09-03-2020, 07:50 PM
Give it to him.

Also, sign him up. :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/51793798

Master Splinter
09-03-2020, 09:31 PM
Coney's nephew :bow:.

Letters
09-03-2020, 10:10 PM
Give it to him.

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312&page=1166

:angry:

GP
09-03-2020, 10:19 PM
Give it to him.

Great article Maccy, thanks for posting.

Letters
09-03-2020, 10:23 PM
TUT!

McNamara That Ghost...
09-03-2020, 11:05 PM
What? :lol:

Shows how great our minds are.

selassie
14-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Well it looks like Auba wants £300,000 a week to stay. https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/07/pierre-emerick-aubameyang-sets-contract-demands-stay-arsenal-12362706/?ITO=squid&ito=newsnow-feed

I would sell him TBH. Yes he is our best player, but the last thing we need is another Ozil situation in a years time where we are paying huge wages to a declining player with little to no resale value.

Auba is the least of our problems, but we need to start focusing and I mean ruthlessly focusing on getting rid of our high earning players who don’t contribute to the level required. Basically most of our senior players!

Mac76
14-03-2020, 06:23 PM
Apparently we might try to get Jota in from Wolves

Niall_Quinn
14-03-2020, 06:26 PM

We should be shopping around for players with the virus to see if we can get a discount.

Letters
14-03-2020, 07:03 PM
Italian players should be dirt cheap right now.

Marc Overmars
14-03-2020, 07:38 PM

Yes please. Would be an upgrade on Lacazette.

Niall_Quinn
14-03-2020, 07:59 PM
Italian players should be dirt cheap right now.

Which probably means we'll be trawling through the Iranian leagues.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
15-03-2020, 01:35 PM
I would sell him TBH. Yes he is our best player, but the last thing we need is another Ozil situation in a years time where we are paying huge wages to a declining player with little to no resale value.

Auba is the least of our problems, but we need to start focusing and I mean ruthlessly focusing on getting rid of our high earning players who don’t contribute to the level required. Basically most of our senior players!why shouldn't we pay top players the going rate who have produced the goods, show no obvious sign of letting up and have excellent injury records? If Martinelli continues his trajectory we will be paying him that eventually.

GP
15-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Yes please. Would be an upgrade on Lacazette.

Yep. Laca hasn't really been an upgrade on Giroud.

Mac76
15-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Yep. Laca hasn't really been an upgrade on Giroud.

Tbf he's less annoying though, and doesn't do that thing of sticking his tongue out and smiling when he misses (again)

Penguin
22-03-2020, 03:31 PM

Auba is the least of our problems, but we need to start focusing and I mean ruthlessly focusing on getting rid of our high earning players who don’t contribute to the level required. Basically most of our senior players!

We can't afford to lose Auba's goals. We don't have one other reliable goal-scorer right now.

I say pay him what he wants and get back to sorting out our other issues. We have enough problems with our squad already without adding another one.

Mac76
22-03-2020, 07:54 PM
We can't afford to lose Auba's goals. We don't have one other reliable goal-scorer right now.

I say pay him what he wants and get back to sorting out our other issues. We have enough problems with our squad already without adding another one.

This

We'd be relegation material without him

Niall_Quinn
30-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Arsenal are reportedly considering moves for 3 "free agents:" Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth), Willian (Chelsea), and Layvin Kurzawa (PSG).

Mac76
30-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Fraser maybe, just to give another attacking midfield option when needed

Willian i am a fan of but i think he's past his sell-by date, plus i think we've had our fill of Chelsea rejects

Kurzawa's a left back apparently - i suppose if we shift Kola and move Saka upfield it might make sense, Tierney wouldn't be very happy but he's beginning to look injury-prone

Niall_Quinn
08-04-2020, 10:25 AM
Just turning the patient...

Torreira might be off. And Inter want Bellerin, they didn't say what for.

LDG
09-04-2020, 05:07 AM
Has Auba played his last game for us now? If the season is abandoned, that might be bye byes

McNamara That Ghost...
09-04-2020, 05:34 AM
Well he can't go anywhere right now. :lol:

I think we'll lose him on a free personally.

Letters
09-04-2020, 07:32 AM
Has Auba played his last game for us now? If the season is abandoned, that might be bye byes

Hmm. Quite possibly :(.
We are screwed without him.

Us :rose:

Mac76
09-04-2020, 08:23 AM
we should try to keep him but sell lacazette for sure

Ollie the Optimist
09-04-2020, 08:29 AM
Given how many clubs & the premier league itself are now going on about how little money they have and its only fair they furlough staff and all that woe is me crap, this transfer window should be almost non existent.

If some of these clubs are struggling to pay their cleaners their full 15k a year salary, how can they spend several million on a new player?

Marc Overmars
09-04-2020, 10:57 AM
In our experience, if the player hasn’t signed by now there’s every chance he’s either going to be sold or run his contract down.

Nothing different here with Auba. We’ve seen it all before.

If he decides to stay then he’s hero but you can’t possibly begrudge him if he left.

Letters
09-04-2020, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't blame him. He's good enough to be winning titles and we are nowhere near at that level.
If he doesn't think we're going to get there quickly (and, let's face it, we probably aren't) then I don't know why he'd stay.

I am invisible
10-04-2020, 06:53 AM
Before all of this virus business I would have said selling made the most sense for both parties. Now though, who knows what state the game is gonna be in once we all come out of lockdown? Suitable buyers might be scarce, and the player himself might be looking at a new deal with us a little more favourably, if we’re sitting on decent cash reserves and looking relatively stable compared to everyone else?

In conclusion, I haven’t got a fucking clue.

Mac76
10-04-2020, 07:15 AM
Before all of this virus business I would have said selling made the most sense for both parties. Now though, who knows what state the game is gonna be in once we all come out of lockdown? Suitable buyers might be scarce, and the player himself might be looking at a new deal with us a little more favourably, if we’re sitting on decent cash reserves and looking relatively stable compared to everyone else?

In conclusion, I haven’t got a fucking clue.

It's a good point and if we'd made CL i would agree with you the chances have increased he'll stay, but as i don't think they'll finish the season that won't happen so i think someone in the CL will snap him up, i'm sure he wants CL badly at his age

Ralpheroo72
11-04-2020, 09:33 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11971986/pierre-emerick-aubameyang-advised-to-leave-failing-arsenal-by-gabon-fa-president

McNamara That Ghost...
13-04-2020, 06:29 PM
Auba hates the brass at Gabon so this is more likely to make him stay. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
13-04-2020, 06:34 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11971986/pierre-emerick-aubameyang-advised-to-leave-failing-arsenal-by-gabon-fa-president

I wonder which agent bought him?

Mac76
13-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Auba hates the brass at Gabon so this is more likely to make him stay. :lol:

But surely he loves it when commentators refer to him constantly as 'the Gabon international' just because they think it's too repetitive just to say the player's name again...?

Niall_Quinn
19-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Daily Mail reckons we're in for a 50 mill, 29 year old Spanish "striker" called Moreno who scored a whole 5 goals so far this season. To replace Auba should he leave for either Barca or Man Utd for 50 mill in the summer.

The AI bot who writes their stories is getting quite inventive.

selassie
24-04-2020, 11:29 PM
why shouldn't we pay top players the going rate who have produced the goods, show no obvious sign of letting up and have excellent injury records? If Martinelli continues his trajectory we will be paying him that eventually.

It’s not that I think we shouldn’t pay our players the top rate, it’s more a case of we have offered him top rate and he hasn’t signed. I don’t think money is the issue, maybe just maybe he doesn’t want to carry a mid table team anymore? Look at who is after him? All of those teams are big upgrades on us in our current state.

Considering we are allegedly cash strapped, it would make sense to sell him if he wants out. He would have signed already if he wants to stay.

This situation is more like Sanchez than it was Ozil so I should have probably used Sanchez as an example.

selassie
24-04-2020, 11:32 PM

Haven’t we offered him a big hefty contract? I don’t think it’s a case of him wanting top dollar here. He can earn that elsewhere and compete for trophies.

His career is now in a worse state than it was before he joined. At least at Dortmund he was competing for trophies. Right now his goals are keeping us in the league, that’s the reality of the situation and I don’t think we can offer him anything to match his ambitions.

Mac76
25-04-2020, 08:32 AM
Haven’t we offered him a big hefty contract? I don’t think it’s a case of him wanting top dollar here. He can earn that elsewhere and compete for trophies.

His career is now in a worse state than it was before he joined. At least at Dortmund he was competing for trophies. Right now his goals are keeping us in the league, that’s the reality of the situation and I don’t think we can offer him anything to match his ambitions.

Not sure if we offered him a contract or not, but i agree about his career, the only thing is he seems to really like it at the club, bound to be down to the fans of course :clap: ;) but also i wonder if Arteta might just convince him to stay, especially if the transfer market is a bit dampened this summer - he's probably still more likely to go though...

Globalgunner
25-04-2020, 02:25 PM
A few outlets saying weve signed our on loan defender Pablo mari for £10m. That must be on the basis of the fact we havent conceded a goal in a whole month since he arrived.

Just joking. Glad he is on the roster. Now how can we just give Mustafi away for free. There must be some takers somewhere.

Mac76
25-04-2020, 04:25 PM
A few outlets saying weve signed our on loan defender Pablo mari for £10m. That must be on the basis of the fact we havent conceded a goal in a whole month since he arrived.

Just joking. Glad he is on the roster. Now how can we just give Mustafi away for free. There must be some takers somewhere.

Good news re Mari, he was mostly very good in the one or two outings he got before the lockdown and anything that makes Mustafi even more expendable has to be a good thing

Mac76
29-04-2020, 08:08 AM
There's quite a bit about us in the BBC's latest transfer gossip roundup, most of it not good:

"Arsenal will sell Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, 30, for £30m as they do not want him to leave on a free transfer. (Sun)

The Gunners have yet to offer a contract extension to German midfielder Mesut Ozil, 31. (ESPN)

Arsenal and Manchester United are both interested in signing Monaco and France striker Wissam Ben Yedder, 29. (L'Equipe - in French)

Arsenal will have to pay Real Madrid 50m euros (£44m) if they want to sign on-loan Spain midfielder Dani Ceballos, 23, on a permanent deal. (AS - in Spanish)

Arsenal are struggling to tie 18-year-old English winger Bukayo Saka down to a new contract with other Premier League clubs interested. (90min)"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52462237

Losing Auba for £30m would be pretty grim, rising to unbearable if it was another English club, only Arsenal would find themselves in this situation

But losing Saka would be even worse

As for the rest, i'd like to keep Ceballos though £44m in the current climate seems a lot

And i don't know about Yedder but if Moan U are in for him i don't fancy our chances much, they can outbid us any day of the week

Ollie the Optimist
29-04-2020, 08:57 AM
I really cant see how any club can justify spending so many millions on players this year especially given some of them have furloughed staff or indeed threatened to furlough staff.

Plus pay cuts for players and moaning in the media that they are all suffering with no money when these clubs earn millions each year.

It would be galling to see a club then go out and spend 60 million on a new player

Mac76
29-04-2020, 09:18 AM
we've been mugs in the transfer market for as long as i can remember - missing out on people like Kante, selling players like RVP to rivals, losing Ramsay and others on free transfers and then paying £34m for a twat like Mustafi

and so it goes on ...

Niall_Quinn
29-04-2020, 09:58 AM
There's quite a bit about us in the BBC's latest transfer gossip roundup, most of it not good:

"Arsenal will sell Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, 30, for £30m as they do not want him to leave on a free transfer. (Sun)

The Gunners have yet to offer a contract extension to German midfielder Mesut Ozil, 31. (ESPN)

Arsenal and Manchester United are both interested in signing Monaco and France striker Wissam Ben Yedder, 29. (L'Equipe - in French)

Arsenal will have to pay Real Madrid 50m euros (£44m) if they want to sign on-loan Spain midfielder Dani Ceballos, 23, on a permanent deal. (AS - in Spanish)

Arsenal are struggling to tie 18-year-old English winger Bukayo Saka down to a new contract with other Premier League clubs interested. (90min)"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52462237

Losing Auba for £30m would be pretty grim, rising to unbearable if it was another English club, only Arsenal would find themselves in this situation

But losing Saka would be even worse

As for the rest, i'd like to keep Ceballos though £44m in the current climate seems a lot

And i don't know about Yedder but if Moan U are in for him i don't fancy our chances much, they can outbid us any day of the week

Reports yesterday were saying Saka is finalising the details before signing a new contract. So the media is probably getting in the last few clickbait BS hits before that happens. Also, this morning, news that Auba will stay. Don't know if that means he'll sign a contract. Possibly where these latest rumours about a cut-price sale are coming from.

I'd also think the clubs, players and agents are keeping things extremely tight at a time when all this money sloshing around might seem vulgar. So where the media is getting this information from I'm not sure, probably a dark place full of brown stuff (as usual).

Özim
29-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Whatever happens it's pretty grim for us, squad needs an overhaul, key players running down their contracts, Ozil still on £350k a week, not a lot of money and some rookie in charge as well, we're in a right mess.

Letters
29-04-2020, 10:49 AM
Whatever happens it's pretty grim for us, squad needs an overhaul, key players running down their contracts, Ozil still on £350k a week, not a lot of money and some rookie in charge as well, we're in a right mess.

Oh good, you haven't been furloughed from moaning your tits off.

Niall_Quinn
29-04-2020, 11:39 AM
Apparently Barca have put ALL their playa on the transfer list, apart from Messi and some other bloke.

Cheeky series of ludicrous underbids to piss them off?

Mac76
29-04-2020, 11:52 AM
Oh good, you haven't been furloughed from moaning your tits off.

:lol:

Mac76
29-04-2020, 11:52 AM
Apparently Barca have put ALL their playa on the transfer list, apart from Messi and some other bloke.

bit late for you to start trying to get down wid da kids innit? ;)

Niall_Quinn
29-04-2020, 11:56 AM
bit late for you to start trying to get down wid da kids innit? ;)

The kids nicked that one from me, if you check back. I have plenty more groovy and hip shit like that in my locker.

Niall_Quinn
29-04-2020, 10:46 PM
Saliba finally joins up after the frogs ended their season early. Is he any good? Don't know. Forgot we'd signed him.

Özim
30-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Saliba finally joins up after the frogs ended their season early. Is he any good? Don't know. Forgot we'd signed him.

I suspect most people forgot.

Not sure anyone really knows anything about him, suppose to have potential from what we here, played 17 games last season as he was injured for a fair chunk of the time and his team ended up one place above the relegation places.

Hopefully he turns out good, I suspect it will take him time to adapt though, whenever next season starts (hopefully they do the sensible thing and ditch this season).

Mac76
30-04-2020, 08:41 AM
he's supposed to be pretty good isn't he?

didn't he cost quite a lot for someone his age?

Niall_Quinn
30-04-2020, 09:08 AM
he's supposed to be pretty good isn't he?

didn't he cost quite a lot for someone his age?

27 mill, plus that 1 year loan-back that has now been cut short. The Sun says he's one of the best young defenders in Europe. The Sun also thinks Jack Grealish is the next Paul Gascoigne.

Mac76
30-04-2020, 09:11 AM
27 mill, plus that 1 year loan-back that has now been cut short. The Sun says he's one of the best young defenders in Europe. The Sun also thinks Jack Grealish is the next Paul Gascoigne.

So poor Grealish will score one good goal against Scotland and then spend the rest of his life drinking 15 pints of lager a day and breaking into tears ?

Niall_Quinn
30-04-2020, 09:15 AM
So poor Grealish will score one good goal against Scotland and then spend the rest of his life drinking 15 pints of lager a day and breaking into tears ?

Well he's already done the 15 pints a day - how hard can it be to burst into tears and score against Scotland?

Bumble
06-05-2020, 06:27 PM
think we should end this thread now... as I imagine the summer transfer window isn't going to be pretty.

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2020, 07:43 PM
think we should end this thread now... as I imagine the summer transfer window isn't going to be pretty.

Some things never change.

Globalgunner
11-05-2020, 07:34 AM
Sun suggesting we might be in for Willian. No. just no.

Mac76
11-05-2020, 08:27 AM
we don't need him - especially as presumably he could keep Saka out of the side, i get confused about where Willian plays but i'm sure i've seen him deployed in the left midfield/forward position?

Marc Overmars
11-05-2020, 09:12 AM
Sun suggesting we might be in for Willian. No. just no.

I think he’s been underrated during his time here. But yeah, we certainly don’t need any expensive and ageing players.

Niall_Quinn
11-05-2020, 09:34 AM
we don't need him - especially as presumably he could keep Saka out of the side, i get confused about where Willian plays but i'm sure i've seen him deployed in the left midfield/forward position?

He usually plays substitute designated fouler and diver when the main designated fouler and diver is on the verge of a red.

selassie
16-05-2020, 05:50 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if we sign him. Signing players we don’t need seems to be our speciality these days, we excel in it.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Saka has had his head turned. We are a mid table club now.

Penguin
21-05-2020, 07:22 AM

He's supposed to be highly rated but rough around the edges.

Probably not the smartest move for a young, talented defender coming to Arsenal... let's hope we don't ruin him.

Globalgunner
21-05-2020, 12:17 PM
He's supposed to be highly rated but rough around the edges.

Probably not the smartest move for a young, talented defender coming to Arsenal... let's hope we don't ruin him.

Mertesacker will school him in the art of clunky defending

Mac76
24-05-2020, 08:20 PM
Apparently we're talking to coutinho's agent - he's being valued at over £100m

Crisis... What crisis...?

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2020, 08:45 PM
So what if a mediocre player on the move gets a big pay packet, makes and agent rich and robs fans who are still dumb enough to be handing over their wallets to a corporation that long since gave up all notions of sporting excellence?

Mac76
24-05-2020, 10:56 PM
...err, the 'dumb' fans who have now been told they're getting a refund on what's left of this year's ST's and already may not be paying to go to matches at all next season - the clubs is losing squillions through lost matchday income and cutting players' wages etc but all of a sudden they have £100m to spare

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2020, 11:00 PM
They don't. It's all on the never. never. "Spend" 100 mill now, flog a few players in 2 years. Same old shit.

GP
24-05-2020, 11:12 PM
Who's his agent?

McNamara That Ghost...
25-05-2020, 07:48 AM
Joorabchian.

GP
25-05-2020, 08:18 AM
lol well there you go.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-05-2020, 07:57 AM
Ighalo is going back to China. :lol:

That went well.

dazthegooner
26-05-2020, 08:18 AM
He must be shtting himself :yikes:

Marc Overmars
27-05-2020, 01:46 PM
David Luiz is out of contract next month and unlikely to be offered an extension.

It was reported that he had a 2 year deal but it was only for a year. The club still wasting money as usual then.

Mac76
27-05-2020, 02:50 PM
David Luiz is out of contract next month and unlikely to be offered an extension.

It was reported that he had a 2 year deal but it was only for a year. The club still wasting money as usual then.

i guess he was a stop gap for Saliba

not sure what to think if he goes, he was awful at the start but got better

GP
27-05-2020, 03:11 PM
i guess he was a stop gap for Saliba

not sure what to think if he goes, he was awful at the start but got better

Awful under Emery, but most were.

Globalgunner
27-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Best of a bad bunch. We still need some experience in that position and most importantly. He is not a crock. Most durable Brazilian I've seen since I last went for the Rio Carnival

Gooner23
28-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Maybe with the uncertainty of this summer, Mustafi and Sokratis will want to just see out the final year of their contracts. With Saliba and Mari both in that would leave us with a surplus of centre backs.

selassie
03-06-2020, 12:30 PM
Does any other top level club or so called top level club make such a mess of their recruitment. We have a new management team from say 5 years ago, yet we still find ourselves letting our best players run down their contracts and walk away for nothing.

We still can’t and won’t improve central defence or central midfield because we refuse to invest, yet we are happy to spend over 70million on a wide forward who we didn’t need and one who isn’t even producing more for the team than our academy graduates who have been promoted.

Talking of academy graduates, sad that we can’t even get Saka to sign on, this is “Everton / Newcastle” level type stuff. How has our club managed to get itself in such a mess?

The irony of it all is we are now being used by that super crook Kia J, he managed to dump David Luiz on us and I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with Coutinho.

I thought things were bad under Gazidis, they were....this regime is worse though IMO, they spend vast amounts of money on absolute JUNK.

Marc Overmars
04-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Chelsea agree a deal for Timo Werner.

Guess that makes more sense for him than Liverpool would given Chelsea’s lack of options up front.

McNamara That Ghost...
24-06-2020, 07:51 AM
Confirmed deals for Soares and Pablo Mari. Though made of glass that they seem to be.

Another year for David Luiz - the redemption story.

Oh and Ceballos until this farce of a season ends.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/four-players-extend-stay-club

Bumble
24-06-2020, 09:47 AM
Not sure why we signed soares to a 4 year deal as he has been injured since he joined and is already 28.

Luiz for another year on big money. Urgh.

Marc Overmars
24-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Has there ever been more underwhelming contract news than that...

Globalgunner
24-06-2020, 11:15 AM
Next up Ozil and Xhaka on new 4 year deals. Mustafi and Kola too. We are truly going places

Letters
24-06-2020, 11:23 AM
They just need to sack Arteta and reinstate Wenger and the trolling will be complete.

Chippy
24-06-2020, 11:34 AM
They just need to sack Arteta and reinstate Wenger and the trolling will be complete.

Erm.....I would take that right now <_<

I am invisible
24-06-2020, 11:36 AM
Fair enough Ceballos seeing out the season, and I always thought the Mari loan was with a view to a making it permanent in the summer.

But WTF with Luiz?! I mean, if you listened to his post-match interview after City last week then there was quite clearly no contract offer for him at that point, so what's changed? Is it the injury to Mari? Seems a bit extreme to shell out another 10m in wages for the sake of a couple of months cover.

Haven't got a clue what to make of Soares - I've seen absolutely nothing of him, and I have no idea what we're paying him - but major alarm bells are ringing, if this is another another Kia client!

Marc Overmars
24-06-2020, 11:58 AM
Yep Soares is another one of his players.

He’s best pals with Saneli so that explains a lot of these shit signings and also other players we’ve been linked with like Kurzawa, Coutinho and Willian.

This club. :haha:

Mac76
24-06-2020, 01:27 PM
Has there ever been more underwhelming contract news than that...

i am actually overwhelmed - with embarassment....

Xhaka Can’t
24-06-2020, 01:39 PM
We are an endless source of comic relief for fans of other clubs.

I am invisible
24-06-2020, 01:58 PM

He’s best pals with Saneli so that explains a lot of these shit signings and also other players we’ve been linked with like Kurzawa, Coutinho and Willian.

Jesus...

I literally don't know what to say? I guess it's a good job we've hired a coach who's got some kind of rep for developing younger players, because it looks like we're going to be down to whatever Mertesacker can send our way for a good few years. It certainly doesn't look like we can count on anything other than headaches and problems from the executive team.

Seriously, Raul and Edu need to go as soon as possible now - at best the two of them are incompetent, but it's starting to look more and more like the truth is that the two of them are just corrupt.

And does anyone even know what Vinai Venkatesham and Huss Fahmy do? I know they get a salary for it, but damned if I know what it is? It's certainly nothing useful, so they can go too.

I suppose there's not much chance of getting rid of the Kroenkes, but at the very least Josh needs to be publicly spanked in front of the Emirates.

dazthegooner
24-06-2020, 02:06 PM
looks like we're going to be down to whatever Mertesacker can send our way for a good few years.

And the one's that do make it through we start negotiating with them towards the end of their contract and risk losing them, with all the players renewing contracts the one we want is Saka.

GP
24-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Vinai does commercial stuff and Huss is the contracts guy.

Choosing Raul over Sven was a mistake.

Mac76
24-06-2020, 03:03 PM
We are an endless source of comic relief for fans of other clubs.

yeah, just imagine how many 'haha' emojis would be on this board if Spuds had resigned Luiz...

Marc Overmars
24-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Soares got a 4 year deal. :lol:

Corruption at its best.

I am invisible
24-06-2020, 03:28 PM
Vinai does commercial stuff and Huss is the contracts guy.

Choosing Raul over Sven was a mistake.

Those two are earning their keep then.

Tbf, Sven sounds like he's a bit of a nut job too... but you'd still take him over Raul.

GP
24-06-2020, 03:51 PM
Soares got a 4 year deal. :lol:

Corruption at its best.

I know it's pronounced like Suarez, but I'm calling him Sores.

I am invisible
24-06-2020, 05:38 PM
Soarse?

Özim
24-06-2020, 06:50 PM
The figures are pretty staggering too:

Ornstein: Arsenal likely spend a more than £100m on David Luiz, Mari and Cedric.

Suggested amounts:

Mari - £15m for this season / sign permanently. £4m agent fees / signing bonus. Reported £70k pw wages over 4 years. Total: £33.5m
Cedric - £5m for this season. £4m agent fees / signing bonus. Reported £100k pw wages over 4 years. Total: £29.8m
Luiz - £24m for this season. £7.25m agent fees / loyalty bonus. Reported £120k pw wages over 1 year. Total: £37.5m

Mari looks Ok but we haven't seen enough of him really, but signing Luiz and Soares is a joke to be honest. That's probably our summer money gone, especially with no European football.

Imagine being stuck with pretty much the same squad for next season!

Özim
24-06-2020, 06:57 PM

Great idea signing players because you know someone rather than because they're the right players, just when you think this club can't be any worse it does stuff like this.

We've now got a manager with no experience who doesn't seem any good and a squad full of average players and have re-signed a number of those average players.

What we don't seem to do is get the players we want signed up, these deals happened pretty quickly but no sign of Auba and Saka signing so they'll probably be off this summer or next.

We'll really be a mediocre club then, with just maybe 2-3 decent players.

selassie
24-06-2020, 07:35 PM
Honestly don’t know how especially the extension of David Luiz and the signing of Soares can in any way be justified.

We all know about Luiz, but Soares is someone Southampton were desperate to get rid of, we have just signed up a player from Southampton who wasn’t deemed good enough on a 4 year deal.

Not only that, but I keep hearing Arteta saying stuff like Luiz & Soares both add great experience to the squad, yeah but they are both GARBAGE and washed now.

Mari is also a questionable purchase but he has at least looked ok.

We absolutely need to put pressure on the club to get Raul out because if he’s here for a few more seasons he will not only bankrupt us, he’ll decimate the squad too, we are in really bad shape as it is.

Im personally done with this season and I’m considering not paying attention even next season unless we start doing things properly.

Gooner23
25-06-2020, 10:05 AM
I think next season is a write off too, we'll have the likes of Ozil, Mustafi, Sokratis all seeing out their final year. I can't see any of them wanting to move on, or any clubs agreeing to match their wages.

I just hope there is enough sign of progression under Arteta next year, although I have been disappointed he hasn't had a bigger impact on our performances to date.

I do feel for Mikel though, its a horrendous job right now.

Kroenke, Wenger, Gazidis, Raul, Emery are all culpable for our decline. It's been a succession of poor management and decision making. We are a complete mess from top to bottom.

Mac76
25-06-2020, 11:07 AM
I think next season is a write off too, we'll have the likes of Ozil, Mustafi, Sokratis all seeing out their final year. I can't see any of them wanting to move on, or any clubs agreeing to match their wages.

I just hope there is enough sign of progression under Arteta next year, although I have been disappointed he hasn't had a bigger impact on our performances to date.

Kroenke, Wenger, Gazidis, Raul, Emery are all culpable for our decline. It's been a succession of poor management and decision making. We are a complete mess from top to bottom.

this

our kit next season should be clown costumes tbh, after all we're already a complete joke

McNamara That Ghost...
27-06-2020, 07:02 AM
Guendouzi has asked to leave apparently. :lol:

Bye.

Marc Overmars
27-06-2020, 07:59 AM
Oh dear. :lol:

Arteta probably thinks he’s too much of a brat.

I guess if it means we can sign Partey then fair enough.

I am invisible
27-06-2020, 09:38 AM
I hope he didn’t go in there expecting Arteta to beg him to stay! I mean, I’m sure he sees a talented young player there, who he’d be happy to work with... but he’ll also see a quick 40m bucks in a summer where he needs to rebuild.

selassie
30-06-2020, 04:25 PM

Yep I agree with pretty much all of this. I think / hope, that next season will be the first full season where Mikel integrates the Hale End kids as bonafide starters, assuming Saka signs the contract, then he is going to be first choice next season no question, I have a feeling Nketiah will be too...plus one other out of Willock and Nelson. I would like us to invest too and bring in quality players such as Partey and Upamecano, though I suspect our funds won't allow either signing, in fact we'd be lucky to even sign one of them.

The sooner the likes of Mustafi, Ozil, Sokratis, Kola & Mikhi are given the boot the better. Elneny can be added to the list...and I suspect I have forgotten about others.

dazthegooner
30-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Yep I agree with pretty much all of this. I think / hope, that next season will be the first full season where Mikel integrates the Hale End kids as bonafide starters, assuming Saka signs the contract, then he is going to be first choice next season no question, I have a feeling Nketiah will be too...plus one other out of Willock and Nelson. I would like us to invest too and bring in quality players such as Partey and Upamecano, though I suspect our funds won't allow either signing, in fact we'd be lucky to even sign one of them.

The sooner the likes of Mustafi, Ozil, Sokratis, Kola & Mikhi are given the boot the better. Elneny can be added to the list...and I suspect I have forgotten about others.

See this article on Skysports regarding our defence https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/12017886/is-arsenals-new-look-defence-already-secured

Marc Overmars
30-06-2020, 06:23 PM

Don’t know about Nketiah being a starter because I’m not sure what we’ve seen so far that suggests he is good enough. Martinelli will be that guy if Auba leaves.

There’s a lot of expensive garbage we could do with offloading but practically it isn’t going to happen in one window, especially one that is bound to be severely affected by covid.

If we can somehow flog Ozil then I’ll take the others staying. He’s like an anchor rooting this club to the ground.

Mac76
30-06-2020, 06:30 PM

I'd forgotten mhki and elneny were even still on our books - christ we've so much deadwood to get rid of....

McNamara That Ghost...
30-06-2020, 07:45 PM
Sane to Bayern Munich.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53239049

What a boring move.

Mac76
30-06-2020, 08:53 PM
Sane to Bayern Munich.

What a boring move.

well from his point of view he'll be glad to get a game - he was chronically underused at Citeh

Özim
01-07-2020, 08:25 AM
I guess they'll be happy to get that much money given he has less than a year left on his contract, has been injured since the beginning of the season and so has hardly played and the reduced transfer values due to the situation.

Niall_Quinn
01-07-2020, 09:31 AM
Can't understand why he's gone there instead of coming to us. Particularly as I paid the kidnappers in advance.

Marc Overmars
01-07-2020, 12:06 PM
Saka has signed a long term deal. :bow:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/bukayo-saka-signs-new-long-term-contract

GP
01-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Really good news.

WMUG
01-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Can't understand why he's gone there instead of coming to us. Particularly as I paid the kidnappers in advance.

See this is what happens when you don't have government to enforce contracts.

Letters
01-07-2020, 12:43 PM

New signings :bow:

selassie
01-07-2020, 01:42 PM

Im delighted, I genuinely thought he had his head turned. For me, he’s the best we’ve had come through our youth system since Jack, I think Saka’s ceiling is higher too, he has the potential to be the very best in whatever position he settles down in.

Ornstein said this was going through a few days ago and also said we are intensifying our pursuit of Thomas Partey, good news indeed.

selassie
01-07-2020, 01:44 PM
Sane to Bayern Munich.

What a boring move.

Bayern are building an amazing team / squad, genuine CL contenders next season if not favourites, they have a good chance this season.

Bayerns front 3 of Gnabry, Lewandowski & Sane is world class.

Penguin
01-07-2020, 03:58 PM
Im delighted, I genuinely thought he had his head turned. For me, he’s the best we’ve had come through our youth system since Jack, I think Saka’s ceiling is higher too, he has the potential to be the very best in whatever position he settles down in.

Ornstein said this was going through a few days ago and also said we are intensifying our pursuit of Thomas Partey, good news indeed.

I just hope he doesn't stagnate now that he's been given a big pay cheque. After about 18 Wilshere barely improved. Huge waste of potential.

Mac76
01-07-2020, 04:37 PM
I just hope he doesn't stagnate now that he's been given a big pay cheque. After about 18 Wilshere barely improved. Huge waste of potential.

i think he's sensible, and hopefully a lot less injury-prone than Wilshire - i'm just glad we got it done

I am invisible
01-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Thank the good dude for that - I think I might have cried, if we’d lost Saka!

McNamara That Ghost...
01-07-2020, 05:47 PM
Just learned of this from the match.

Saka. :bow:

Always had faith he'd sign. :unsure:

:scarf:

selassie
01-07-2020, 08:19 PM

Aye. I think Saka does seem a bit more sensible and I get the impression Arteta will keep him in check too.

If he keeps on developing then he will be starting for England soon too, I rate Saka really highly, think he has the potential to turn into a legend for us.

I am invisible
02-07-2020, 10:14 AM
Interesting bit of news that's largely gone under the radar, but it looks like we've agreed to terminate Mkhitaryan's contract a year early so he can sign for Roma - I wonder if there are similar plans for any of our other high-earners? There must be a few there who's wages for the rest of their contracts will now cost more than whatever fee we could get for them, which technically makes them write-offs...

dazthegooner
02-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Interesting bit of news that's largely gone under the radar, but it looks like we've agreed to terminate Mkhitaryan's contract a year early so he can sign for Roma - I wonder if there are similar plans for any of our other high-earners? There must be a few there who's wages for the rest of their contracts will now cost more than whatever fee we could get for them, which technically makes them write-offs...

I see somewhere that Roma offered £10m for him in January but we turned it down thinking we might get a better one elsewhere :blink:

I am invisible
02-07-2020, 10:49 AM
I see somewhere that Roma offered £10m for him in January but we turned it down thinking we might get a better one elsewhere :blink:

Yeah, that was pre-COVID - I think you take whatever you can get now!

Mac76
02-07-2020, 10:51 AM

that's so typical of us - it's like when we turned down a similar amount for mustafi i think , do we not realise that people can see how shit some of our players are just by watching the games, i know mustafi's been slightly better (i.e. not a total disaster area) lately but he's still got a self-destruct button and we really should do a similar thing and get rid asap

i really hope Invisible's right and this is a change of approach to get people off the wage bill

dazthegooner
02-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Yeah, that was pre-COVID - I think you take whatever you can get now!

But to think we could possibly get more when you consider he's hardly set the world alight at Roma either... still heyhoe the people that are in charge of things atm know what they're doing :unsure:

I am invisible
02-07-2020, 12:38 PM
But to think we could possibly get more when you consider he's hardly set the world alight at Roma either... still heyhoe the people that are in charge of things atm know what they're doing :unsure:

Yeah, I've got to say 10m and slashing 200k/wk from the wage bill looked a good deal to me, but then we did get 35m for Iwobi last summer, so who knows what we thought we could get? We have been greasing the palms of a lot of super agents lately so we must be owed a few favours...

I am invisible
02-07-2020, 12:54 PM
that's so typical of us - it's like when we turned down a similar amount for mustafi i think , do we not realise that people can see how shit some of our players are just by watching the games, i know mustafi's been slightly better (i.e. not a total disaster area) lately but he's still got a self-destruct button and we really should do a similar thing and get rid asap

i really hope Invisible's right and this is a change of approach to get people off the wage bill

I might just be putting two and two together here and getting five, but I think a lot might have changed for the players as well as the club. Assuming clubs all across Europe are going to have to tighten their belts due to the loss of match-day revenue, then you've got to think the days of fat signing-on fees for free transfers are numbered (at least for the next few years). And if there's no fat signing-on fee waiting for them, then is there any value in seeing out the final year of their contracts? Or would they be better off pushing for a move now, while they have an extra year of (relative) youth to offer.

I have a feeling the main currency for footballers for the next few years could be length / security of contract.

Marc Overmars
03-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Martinelli has also signed a long term deal. :bow:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/martinelli-signs-new-long-term-contract

GP
03-07-2020, 05:53 PM
Good news. He's a sensational player.

Maestro
03-07-2020, 06:40 PM
Saka and Martinelli are fantastic top talents, this is good news and the way to go for us. Let's hope Saliba turns out to be in the same talent bracket.

Mac76
03-07-2020, 07:10 PM
Martinelli has also signed a long term deal. :bow:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/martinelli-signs-new-long-term-contract

That's very kind of him, considering he never gets a game, have we kidnapped his family or something?

McNamara That Ghost...
03-07-2020, 09:28 PM
Martinelli. :bow:

Valuable bench time for years to come. :(

I am invisible
03-07-2020, 09:56 PM
That's very kind of him, considering he never gets a game, have we kidnapped his family or something?
Injured in training on 21 June - probably won’t be available again this season now

McNamara That Ghost...
04-07-2020, 05:37 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53279422

Balague says Messi is fed up and disillusioned at Barca.:lol:

I'd still sign Old Man Messi, I don't know what his wages are exactly but Ozil+Lacazette's combined would probably get us half way.

Joining us though. :lol: Maybe a cheeky loan bid.

I am invisible
04-07-2020, 08:43 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53279422

Balague says Messi is fed up and disillusioned at Barca.:lol:

I'd still sign Old Man Messi, I don't know what his wages are exactly but Ozil+Lacazette's combined would probably get us half way.

Joining us though. :lol: Maybe a cheeky loan bid.
Whatever they are, they’ll be 30% of what they were before lockdown!

selassie
08-07-2020, 01:27 PM

Talking of Mustafi, Arteta has transformed him into a competent CB, he's our best one on current form and by quite some distance...yeah I know that doesn't say much but....I'd be confident of at least getting a fee for him now if we do plan on shifting him still.

Mac76
08-07-2020, 02:25 PM
Talking of Mustafi, Arteta has transformed him into a competent CB, he's our best one on current form and by quite some distance...yeah I know that doesn't say much but....I'd be confident of at least getting a fee for him now if we do plan on shifting him still.

yeah hopefully that's the plan though i'm getting worried abotu Arteta's attitude to Holding - anyone who's watched over the last two seasons knows Holding is better than Mustafi but i don't think Arteta's rating Holding highly enough - it's all very well talking about togetherness etc, but Arteta freezes people out and that's not good for their confidence.

similarly I'm really fed up with all this crap about Guendouzi, we need someone with balls in that team but the first time someone lays into the opposition for maiming one of our players they get grounded for good, it's why we're such softies

Penguin
09-07-2020, 03:09 PM
It didn't help that Holding had an absolute shocker the first time Arteta started him. It was that game against Leeds in the FA Cup and Holding had probably his worst ever performance in an Arsenal shirt. Not just defensive mistakes but losing possession all the time and putting us under pressure. Not great for first impressions.

But it's unfair for Arteta to hold that one game against him and honestly I would rather see Holding being given a run in the team instead of relying on dead weights like Luiz and Mustafi. Those two aren't long term options anyway and in the short term they aren't even dependable or consistent. Why not give Holding games to see what he can do?

I am invisible
11-07-2020, 07:34 AM
I doubt very much that Arteta is holding one bad game against Holding - plenty of other players have had shockers on his watch, and they’ve all had second / third chances, if they’ve shown the right attitude. I certainly haven’t seen any stories about a problem there - not in the same way we saw leaks about AMN at the start, and now Guendouzi.

Doesn’t mean there’s not some issue there, but I doubt it’s personal - could just be the medical advice he’s getting about the player? Or maybe we’re just putting other players in the shop window? It’s not like we’re playing for much. Who knows.

With Guendouzi, I guarantee you he hasn’t been dropped for anything he did or said to the Brighton players - it’ll be because he’s gobbed-off to Arteta and his team again when they’ve tried to have a word with him. I’m fully behind their efforts to stamp out his attitude - I like my players to have a bit of fire about them, but that fire needs to be controlled. Wild temper and childish petulance is no use to anyone, and we’ve had far too much of that over the years. It certainly can’t be allowed to spill into open disrespect to the coach in front of the other players (especially not from a junior member of the squad) - if you let that go then you’re saying that that behaviour is acceptable, and that’s the moment you lose the dressing room.

(Also wouldn’t be at all surprised if we were protecting his fitness ahead of a swap / sale - again, it’s not like we’re playing for much right now.)

Mac76
11-07-2020, 09:55 AM
I doubt very much that Arteta is holding one bad game against Holding - plenty of other players have had shockers on his watch, and they’ve all had second / third chances, if they’ve shown the right attitude. I certainly haven’t seen any stories about a problem there - not in the same way we saw leaks about AMN at the start, and now Guendouzi.

Doesn’t mean there’s not some issue there, but I doubt it’s personal - could just be the medical advice he’s getting about the player? Or maybe we’re just putting other players in the shop window? It’s not like we’re playing for much. Who knows.

With Guendouzi, I guarantee you he hasn’t been dropped for anything he did or said to the Brighton players - it’ll be because he’s gobbed-off to Arteta and his team again when they’ve tried to have a word with him. I’m fully behind their efforts to stamp out his attitude - I like my players to have a bit of fire about them, but that fire needs to be controlled. Wild temper and childish petulance is no use to anyone, and we’ve had far too much of that over the years. It certainly can’t be allowed to spill into open disrespect to the coach in front of the other players (especially not from a junior member of the squad) - if you let that go then you’re saying that that behaviour is acceptable, and that’s the moment you lose the dressing room.

(Also wouldn’t be at all surprised if we were protecting his fitness ahead of a swap / sale - again, it’s not like we’re playing for much right now.)

Yeah, ok, you might be right, i've heard similar things said elsewhere, and it looks like he might go, but i think of games like the one against Villa (i think) when he came on and added energy and directness and won a pel, and just think that can be useful, sometimes it comes with a bit of attitude, and you have to try to accomodate it

Mac76
11-07-2020, 09:57 AM
It didn't help that Holding had an absolute shocker the first time Arteta started him. It was that game against Leeds in the FA Cup and Holding had probably his worst ever performance in an Arsenal shirt. Not just defensive mistakes but losing possession all the time and putting us under pressure. Not great for first impressions.

But it's unfair for Arteta to hold that one game against him and honestly I would rather see Holding being given a run in the team instead of relying on dead weights like Luiz and Mustafi. Those two aren't long term options anyway and in the short term they aren't even dependable or consistent. Why not give Holding games to see what he can do?

Definitely, Arteta's not seeing the biggerpicture hete

I am invisible
11-07-2020, 04:35 PM
Yeah, ok, you might be right, i've heard similar things said elsewhere, and it looks like he might go, but i think of games like the one against Villa (i think) when he came on and added energy and directness and won a pel, and just think that can be useful, sometimes it comes with a bit of attitude, and you have to try to accomodate it
Yup, and the game against spurs too - pretty sure he dragged us back into that to.

No one’s questioning that the kid’s talent or that he’s not a miss, and it’s a shame it has to be him who’s ended up being the example, but what can you do? He’s the one that’s acting up. The thing you have to remember is this isn’t just about Guendouzi - the attitude of this whole squad was fucking appalling when Arteta took over, and it needed to be stamped out, hard. The other players need to see that there’s very real consequences for this kind of behaviour now, just as much as Guendouzi needs to learn it.

Unfortunately this is how you go about establishing high professional standards and a winning culture - there can’t be any deviation from the rules you set, and you can’t flinch or back down just because it’s one of your better players. The moment you do that is the moment the rest of the players know that there’s nothing you can threaten them with and that they can walk all over you. Too many of our players have become way too comfortable at this club and they need to start fearing for their Arsenal futures if they don’t fall in line.

As I said, it’s it shame it had to be Guen who pushed it because it might end up costing us one of our better players, but you have to say it’s having the desired effect with the rest of the players. And if it leaves us with a club where the players hold themselves to high standards and start holdI got each other to account (have you seen anyone come out in support of him yet?) then, for me, that’s big-picture thinking and planning. Pandering to a 20yo, no matter how talented? That’s small-time thinking for small clubs - we shouldn’t be eating that shit from anyone.

Also, let’s not forget in all of this that all Guendouzi had / had to do is say sorry. That’s it! One word and he’s back in, but he can’t do it. Would it really cost him that much? Who’s really keeping him out of the side here?

McNamara That Ghost...
30-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Bournemouth accept a bid from Citeh for Ake of £40 million.

GP
30-07-2020, 12:31 PM
lol what

Letters
30-07-2020, 12:43 PM
lol what

City failed to buy the title this year so they're having another go.

I am invisible
30-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Meanwhile we're being linked to Malang Sarr from Nice on a free.

Tbf, it could be a pretty smart move for us - on the playing side of things, he's a left-sided, ball-playing CB who can also play LB, so it would allow us to ditch Kolasinac and retain the tactical flexibility to play a back 3 when needed.

And the fact that he's on a free means that, even if he's a bust, we could still turn a quick profit on him next summer and reinvest (might need to start looking at more deals like that for a few years to fund the rebuild).

Mac76
30-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Certainly makes a change from paying £30+ for a bucket o' shite

Globalgunner
30-07-2020, 08:06 PM
Bournemouth accept a bid from Citeh for Ake of £40 million.

I dont even see what the fuss is about Ake. He is a competent footballer but he is no more than 5'11". I hate short CBs. But Pep likes doing things the hard way. After 2 years he will dump him too and buy something new

I am invisible
30-07-2020, 08:19 PM
I honestly think Pep sees his defence as a chance to field 4 more midfielders.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-07-2020, 08:44 PM
I dont even see what the fuss is about Ake. He is a competent footballer but he is no more than 5'11". I hate short CBs. But Pep likes doing things the hard way. After 2 years he will dump him too and buy something new

Pep is contractually obliged to buy defenders for £40 million+every season at Citeh, just surprised it isn't another fullback first up, as IAI infers.

Marc Overmars
31-07-2020, 06:14 AM
Linked with Coutinho again. No doubt due to links with Raul and his shady pals.

Mac76
03-08-2020, 08:07 AM
Latest rumour round-up: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53631483

We're after Brazilian CB Diego Carlos, Rakitic and Zaha apparently

Not sure what i think of Zaha tb,he seems like teouble, and doesn't he usually play left-wing, so what about Saka's future and where Auba plays?

Unless they want Zaha behind the front three, but not sure about that

Or they ditch Laca and move Auba into the middle, but that atill blocks Saka out

I'd be happy to see Laca go as we'd get a decent price for him after a good end to the season, though of course it might affect what Auba does...

We're reported to be offering Auba £250k pw for a three-year deal but he wants to see if we make big-name signings first

Ifi was him I'd go for a one-year extension anyway, gives him more options if we tank next season

GP
03-08-2020, 02:04 PM
Looks like Willian is happening.

£400k a week. Probably.

Marc Overmars
03-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Oh look, doing Raul's pals a favour again.

Fuck off. We'll never move on if this is the profile of player we continue to keep looking at because they might be easier to sign.

Willian is decent enough but we don't need another hugely expensive player who'll probably be deadweight in 18 months and stifle the progress of the younger players along the way. Chelsea want rid of him so they can sign Havertz, we need to stop being so willing to pick up the scraps and find some of our own gems.

Mac76
03-08-2020, 03:56 PM
will be really disappointed if we sign him - absolutely not worth it, particularly as he plays where Auba and Saka tend to play

maybe there's a plan to sell Laca and put Auba in the middle but either way Saka must have wondered why he bothered resigning with us after we've been chasing Zaha and Willian

dazthegooner
03-08-2020, 04:08 PM
Papers probably don't have many transfers they can speculate about so dragged up Zaha again.

Xhaka Can’t
03-08-2020, 04:09 PM
There is no way journalists are going to regurgitate old stories.

That would just be lazy.

dazthegooner
03-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Cannot see why we would spend any money on him when we need creative players who can score and assist and over the past couple of season Zaha hasn't been much better than what we already have and they is saying something.

Penguin
03-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Willian's a good player but he's 31. I would have loved to sign him 5 or 6 years ago but what's the point now?

I am invisible
03-08-2020, 06:18 PM
32 on Sunday!

I don’t know... with our other wide options being Saka, Nelson, Martinelli and a Pepe who’s still finding his feet then I guess bringing in an experienced, Prem-ready winger could make some kind of sense?

But I just don’t trust Raul, or that that’s his thinking here - it’ll just be Kia selling us whoever again. I really hope that Clifford Chance bloke the Kroenkes brought in is paying close attention to what’s going on this summer...

Mac76
03-08-2020, 06:58 PM
Anyway, might as well do this now

People i think we should definitely sell if we can:

Ozil
Gone dozy (geddit?)
Sokratis
Kola
Xhaka
Mustafi

(I'd so love to know i'd never see those last three names in an arsenal lineup again :cloud9: )

Would also sell Laca if we get a good offer, likewise Torreira

Send on loan: Nketiah, Mavropanos, Willock

Plus sell all those people i don't even know if they're Arsenal players any more, like El Neny (if we haven't already)

We need to keep Auba, and obviously won't (and shouldn't) be selling new(ish) signings like Tierney etc, but also hope we keep AMN

We need to try to buy:

- one more good CB
- creative midfielder
- holding midfielder
- reserve goalie (now we have two number ones), unless Macey is up to it

If we sell Laca, i guess another striker, although we have Martinelli to come back

Anything i've missed?

dazthegooner
03-08-2020, 07:07 PM
Mavropano has already gone on loan to VfB Stuttgart for next season.

I am invisible
03-08-2020, 08:06 PM
Anyway, might as well do this now

People i think we should definitely sell if we can:

Ozil
Gone dozy (geddit?)
Sokratis
Kola
Xhaka
Mustafi

(I'd so love to know i'd never see those last three names in an arsenal lineup again :cloud9: )

Would also sell Laca if we get a good offer, likewise Torreira

Send on loan: Nketiah, Mavropanos, Willock

Plus sell all those people i don't even know if they're Arsenal players any more, like El Neny (if we haven't already)

We need to keep Auba, and obviously won't (and shouldn't) be selling new(ish) signings like Tierney etc, but also hope we keep AMN

We need to try to buy:

- one more good CB
- creative midfielder
- holding midfielder
- reserve goalie (now we have two number ones), unless Macey is up to it

If we sell Laca, i guess another striker, although we have Martinelli to come back

Anything i've missed?
Need to get Ceballos secure for at least another season - that’s gonna be a real kick in the nuts because he already feels like our player, so it’s literally money we’ve got to find just to stand still.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if we listened to offers for Bellerin.

Other than that, I reckon you’ve just about covered it. I’ll comb through it properly later / tomorrow, but it looks pretty close to my to-do list :good:

Mac76
03-08-2020, 09:25 PM
Yes, absolutely we need to keep Ceballos, good shout

Mac76
03-08-2020, 09:26 PM
Mavropano has already gone on loan to VfB Stuttgart for next season.

Ok, didn't know that