PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Man City (neutral)

McNamara That Ghost...
18-07-2020, 08:44 PM
What a performance, Citeh had very few clearcut chances, at least no more than we did.

Arteta. :bow:

Pep needs to put out his cones now.

Auba. :bow:

David Luiz. :bow:

All of them really. 21st final!!!

Xhaka Can’t
18-07-2020, 08:46 PM
We only needed another goal to make it 3-0.

Letters
I am thoroughly enjoying this season.

I feel like breakdancing!

selassie
NGL, I only caught bits and pieces of the game, but from what i saw we put in a very good shift. Good team performance.

So happy for the lads, it's been a shite season but at least we got to a final, today was a good result for the progression of this team.

Marc Overmars
Absolutely fucking class.

Cannot explain what that kind of performance means to see, considering how rotten the league campaign has been.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!

WMUG
18-07-2020, 08:49 PM
What a fucking performance.

Every single person involved with that should be proud of themselves, brilliant stuff.

Tactical masterclass from Arteta, Auba took his moments, Luiz and Mustafi at their best, AMN repaid the manager's faith in him.

Get the fuck in.

Mac76
Probably our best effort since we last beat Citeh in a semi

Mustafi got his fuckup over early on and after that we were good - Tierney's really giving us some substance in defence and going forward and Luiz had a good game not a bad one

and Auba is just pure gold when he plays like that

Globalgunner
Say what you like about Lacazette's finishing but he is a tireless runner and holds the ball very well.

GP
18-07-2020, 08:52 PM
Luiz was great.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-07-2020, 08:53 PM
Luiz was great.

He can be very good in a proper back three.

Mac76
18-07-2020, 08:53 PM
still not sure i fancy either Moan U or Chelski in the final, i think that will be a struggle either way

McNamara That Ghost...
18-07-2020, 08:56 PM
RVP thinks we have Martini in goal. :bow:

Niall_Quinn
18-07-2020, 08:57 PM
still not sure i fancy either Moan U or Chelski in the final, i think that will be a struggle either way

Crap. I thought it would be Wolves or somebody like that. Really? The chavs of the scum? Got to do it all again then. Would be a bloody shame to beat the gypos and then lose to shitkickers in the final.

WMUG
18-07-2020, 08:58 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/TikiTakaConnor/status/1284582883664027648

Niall_Quinn
18-07-2020, 09:00 PM
Might watch AFTV. Haven't seen them since flu season started.

GP
18-07-2020, 09:04 PM
https://twitter.com/DaniCeballos46/status/1284593444380344323

:haha:

Mac76
18-07-2020, 09:05 PM

his English is coming along nicely

GP
18-07-2020, 09:07 PM
his English is coming along nicely

Obviously been learning from Tierney.

Master Splinter
18-07-2020, 09:07 PM
In all of Citeh's defeats this year, they've been dominant, missed loads of clear chances and got caught out.

Today, they had one or two decent chances but looked blunt otherwise. We were the better team and created the better chances. Apart from the first ten minutes, our performance was remarkable.

De Bruyne and Silva were barely noticeable. We nullified them.

Arteta got this completely right and there were no disastrous errors to gift the opposition free goals.

Arteta :bow:.

Auba, Tierney, AMN, Luiz and Martinez were outstanding.

Laca, Pepe, Ceballos and Xhaka were fantastic in their defensive duties too. Mustafi and Bellerin had some dodgy moments but sorted themselves out and played some key passes.

The Arsene Wenger Cup is coming home tbfh :scarf:.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-07-2020, 09:09 PM

Also, Tierney. :bow:

https://i.imgur.com/jHQMelo.png

Master Splinter
18-07-2020, 09:17 PM
I really enjoyed Martinez turning into Ospina for last ten minutes. Fake injuries and time-wasting galore.

AMN is a really good utility player who has been fantastic under Arteta, despite supposedly having a bad attitude. Would be a shame to lose him, unless we get those inexplicable fees Liverpool get for pubbers who've barely played a senior game. £30m+ or keep him.

I'm still shocked that Sterling didn't get the pelanty and Mustafi wasn't sent off.

Mac76
18-07-2020, 09:21 PM
I'm still shocked that Sterling didn't get the pelanty and Mustafi wasn't sent off.

Just shows what we can do when the officials aren't against us, pity it's so rare

Gooner23
18-07-2020, 09:24 PM
Incredible performance and a huge confidence boost.

AMN had a great game and nullified Mahrez.

Tierney is infinitely better than Kola in the back 3, confident on the ball and reads the game brilliantly.

Loads of positives going into next season, a cup win would be incredible.

Letters
18-07-2020, 09:26 PM
Only saw the second half.

It was a really good disciplined performance which I didn't think we were capable of. If I have one minor criticism, and I do, it's that our ball retention was awful which put us under pressure but we soaked it up brilliantly which given the gulf in class was commendable.

Absolutely outstanding to a man.

What did she wear?!!

Master Splinter
18-07-2020, 09:29 PM
Just shows what we can do when the officials aren't against us, pity it's so rare

Refs won the game for Brighton and Spurs and got the point for Leicester. That doesn't absolve our mistakes in the Spuds game or our poor finishing, but in all those games the opposition were allowed back in because the refs absolutely refused to book players for repeated fouls and as usual, we were booked/sent off for our first infractions. Winks and Aurier alone could have had two red cards each.

Unai Tea
18-07-2020, 09:29 PM
The most amazing thing to me is the complete change in mentality. Everyone is pulling in the same direction, bar guendouzi and Ozil who have been left out completely. That brittleness we've had for so many years wasn't there. In it's place is determination, desire and focus. This isn't the best group of players, but what you can see is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts - and that's Arteta and full credit to him. He just needs to be fully supported.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-07-2020, 09:33 PM
BBC has highlights on at 22:50. :scarf:

Letters
18-07-2020, 09:34 PM

Did you think we’d win today?

Mac76
18-07-2020, 09:36 PM
Did you think we’d win today?

Well i said before the game we might pub it but we did better than that, but it's difficult to pull off that kind of backs-against-the-wall performance round after round

I'm not saying we can't win it but it just won't be easy

Master Splinter
18-07-2020, 09:37 PM
BBC has highlights on at 22:50. :scarf:

"City were terrible."

"City not at the races."

"Arsenal still have a soft centre."

"Arsenal are great going forward, but need leaders at the back."

"They play beautiful football with lots of number tens but are soft."

McNamara That Ghost...
18-07-2020, 09:41 PM
"City were terrible."

"City not at the races."

"Arsenal still have a soft centre."

"Arsenal are great going forward, but need leaders at the back."

"They play beautiful football with lots of number tens but are soft."

The second is nailed on if Shearer is there.

Master Splinter
18-07-2020, 09:42 PM
Well i said before the game we might pub it but we did better than that, but it's difficult to pull off that kind of backs-against-the-wall performance round after round

I'm not saying we can't win it but it just won't be easy

Our recent record against United is decent and both the games against Chelsea this season were close. There's not really much between the teams and I think if you look at all our records since Arteta arrived, we have a similar number of points.

It's a one-off game anyway and just the performance on the day matters.

Although we do seem to play better in these big FA Cup games (away at United a few years ago, Citeh in the semis twice now and Chelsea in the final).

Letters
18-07-2020, 09:51 PM
WHAT DID SHE WEAR?!!

McNamara That Ghost...
18-07-2020, 09:52 PM
Dublin and Scott stay in the studio.

I am invisible
18-07-2020, 10:45 PM
Proud of the boys tonight. Those players must know what the whole world says about them, but they’re finally starting to show a bit of ‘fuck you!’ Two shit results against City and Brighton > hit back with 4 wins and 3 clean sheets. Get stitched up against Leicester and sp*rs > take 3 points and a Cup final off the two best teams in Europe. We’re not perfect, but for the first time in ages I can that I’m not embarrassed to support these guys.

Also I hope that bum Emery was watching that first goal - that’s how you coach a team to play out from the back you fucking fraud!

WMUG
18-07-2020, 10:59 PM
WHAT DID SHE WEAR?!!

Sorry, didn't hear you first time.

*ahem*

SHE WORE

Chippy
18-07-2020, 11:09 PM
Sorry, didn't hear you first time.

*ahem*

SHE WORE

https://youtu.be/zNOwkiRaXJQ

Ollie the Optimist
19-07-2020, 07:12 AM

Tbf, that mustafi tackle was a nailed on penalty imo. Surprised VAR didnt give it.

If it was the other way, I’d have been livid

Letters
19-07-2020, 07:35 AM
Tbf, that mustafi tackle was a nailed on penalty imo. Surprised VAR didnt give it.

If it was the other way, I’d have been livid

I think it would have been harsh tbh.
Certainly not obvious in real time so not a “clear and obvious error”.

LDG
19-07-2020, 08:01 AM
Very disciplined performance.

Arteta is going to be brilliant for us. He’s got buy in from the players, and they now have a shape about them we haven’t seen for years.

Yes, we need an upgrade in certain positions, because we don’t control the ball well. There are green shoots, as for 15 minutes first half, we popped the ball around really well.

Leno has proper competition now.

Marc Overmars
19-07-2020, 08:09 AM
I’m starting to think Martinez could actually be better than Leno. At the risk of jinxing him, it has to be said that he looks like a beast. I can’t remember the last time we had a keeper so commanding and the fact he doesn’t parry shots either is even better. Tidy as fuck.

LDG
19-07-2020, 08:59 AM
I’m starting to think Martinez could actually be better than Leno. At the risk of jinxing him, it has to be said that he looks like a beast. I can’t remember the last time we had a keeper so commanding and the fact he doesn’t parry shots either is even better. Tidy as fuck.

He’s been superb.

Loved AMN yesterday. He’s no worldie, but he did his job.

Ironically, despite the goals, I get really frustrated with Auba. His ball retention in build up play, and passing ability, are pretty infuriating for a high profile player.

Özim
19-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Great result yesterday in a game that actually matters, thought we defended well and Aubamenyang was razor sharp, shows the value of having an out and out goalscorer, without him we wouldn't have won that match and we'd be in trouble in the league.

Laczette also played well and has been recently, his touches and general play have been fantastic recently. Tierney looks really good too as does Martinez ad thought Pepe ws very good again.

Great to beat City, I think they really miss Aguero and really need to find a replacement, their defence also needs some work, but we were good for the win yesterday.

Hard to say who we'd rather play, Man U have looked pretty good recently, Fernandes is a bit of a world beater who can scored and create.

I am invisible
19-07-2020, 12:21 PM
I fancy another crack at Chelsea - we lost that first game against them mostly because we were pitifully unfit, and by match 2 we gave them a serious game with 10 men.

United or on a roll at the moment - I think that one could be tougher.

Globalgunner
19-07-2020, 03:20 PM
All I know is that Mustafi tackle, against United would be a 100pc penalty. Who will drill it in that idiots head that you dont dive in while in the penalty box. He just cant help himself. United are given penalties even when they trip over untied laces.

I am invisible
19-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mustafi weren’t suffering from some form of PTSD after 4 years in our defence? He has that haunted look of someone who’s seen too much in the field and now can’t adapt to normal life - any loud noise and he’s back in the trenches...

Letters
19-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mustafi weren’t suffering from some form of PTSD after 4 years in our defence? He has that haunted look of someone who’s seen too much in the field and now can’t adapt to normal life - any loud noise and he’s back in the trenches...

Unai Tea
19-07-2020, 06:52 PM
How delicious would it be if Sp*rs are 7th and we knock them out of Europe by winning the FA cup. That would make this painful season end on a positive note.

Mac76
19-07-2020, 09:33 PM

Mustafi isn't good enough for any club with any real aspirations for sustained success and don't let anyone on here forget it

Chippy
19-07-2020, 10:12 PM
How delicious would it be if Sp*rs are 7th and we knock them out of Europe by winning the FA cup. That would make this painful season end on a positive note.
I would like it if the scum got Europa League football, especially if they have to get in via qualification :pal:

I am invisible
20-07-2020, 09:55 AM
Mustafi isn't good enough for any club with any real aspirations for sustained success and don't let anyone on here forget it

Oh, God yeah. He's damaged goods, like most of our senior players, and needs to be upgraded asap.

Right now, we're playing in a way that's designed to minimise exposing our many, many, obvious weaknesses, but it's hugely restrictive and I guarantee you that Arteta doesn't want to be lining up like this or basing his entire footballing strategy around damage limitation. I doubt very much that he wants to have to sacrifice a midfielder because we don't have any 2 CBs who are good enough in one-on-ones to play in a back two. I doubt he wants to be reliant on an immobile, one-footed central midfielder who can't carry the ball and who can only play a pass from deep when no one's pressing him. I doubt he wants to play his best forward on the left because there's no goals coming from anywhere else in the side unless he plays another CF. And so on, and so on.

I'm sure he's absolutely genuine when he says he's been impressed with the way the players have responded, and with the level of commitment and fight they've shown, but I think you can acknowledge effort and commitment when you see it on the one hand, and yet still acknowledge that we need massive amounts of upgrading. Most of his interviews are always laced with a heavy dose of "the gulf in quality [between us and the top sides] is enormous" and "we need to invest / improve the squad".

Right up until the moment these players actually leave, I think you'll hear Arteta talking them up, 1) because he needs to boost their value and make them more saleable, and 2) because he knows that we may not be able to shift them and that he might have to work with them right up until their contracts expire. But I think you need to read between the lines on this - no matter how much he might talk up or praise certain players, the fact remains that we can't improve the squad unless players go. We can't afford to keep them all, and we wouldn't be able to register them all to play anyway, so there will have to be outs if he wants ins.

Mac76
20-07-2020, 10:42 AM
This is a good read

https://arseblog.com/2020/07/tactics-column-arsenal-2-0-man-city-pep-beaten-by-pressing-and-patience/

Chippy
20-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Oh, God yeah. He's damaged goods, like most of our senior players, and needs to be upgraded asap.

Right now, we're playing in a way that's designed to minimise exposing our many, many, obvious weaknesses, but it's hugely restrictive and I guarantee you that Arteta doesn't want to be lining up like this or basing his entire footballing strategy around damage limitation. I doubt very much that he wants to have to sacrifice a midfielder because we don't have any 2 CBs who are good enough in one-on-ones to play in a back two. I doubt he wants to be reliant on an immobile, one-footed central midfielder who can't carry the ball and who can only play a pass from deep when no one's pressing him. I doubt he wants to play his best forward on the left because there's no goals coming from anywhere else in the side unless he plays another CF. And so on, and so on.

I'm sure he's absolutely genuine when he says he's been impressed with the way the players have responded, and with the level of commitment and fight they've shown, but I think you can acknowledge effort and commitment when you see it on the one hand, and yet still acknowledge that we need massive amounts of upgrading. Most of his interviews are always laced with a heavy dose of "the gulf in quality [between us and the top sides] is enormous" and "we need to invest / improve the squad".

Right up until the moment these players actually leave, I think you'll hear Arteta talking them up, 1) because he needs to boost their value and make them more saleable, and 2) because he knows that we may not be able to shift them and that he might have to work with them right up until their contracts expire. But I think you need to read between the lines on this - no matter how much he might talk up or praise certain players, the fact remains that we can't improve the squad unless players go. We can't afford to keep them all, and we wouldn't be able to register them all to play anyway, so there will have to be outs if he wants ins.

:gp:

I hate my new sense of optimism around Arteta and the team because we are all used to the wheels coming off soon after.

However, if Arteta can get Luiz and Mustafi playing well he should do very well with Saliba, Holding, Chambers and Mari.

In addition, and as mentioned above, our transfer funds will need to come from the players he moves out. Therefore, the longer he makes Mustafi and Luiz look good, the more money we should receive.

We should then focus on shifting out wasters like Ozil. We will be able to put that £350,000 a week to good use. Maybe shift Pepe as well.

selassie
20-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Totally agree. His performances have been near flawless, he is a good shot shopper, commands the box very well, his distribution is very good and he makes me feel confident TBH.

Leno is a very good keeper in his own right, but if Martinez continues with these level of performances then he's first choice for me no question.

Mac76
20-07-2020, 05:07 PM
Maybe shift Pepe as well.

No, i think he'll come good, he was very influential yesterday

Letters
21-07-2020, 07:09 AM
Waaaah! :crying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53479675

Dry your eyes, Pep :pal:

dazthegooner
21-07-2020, 07:39 AM
Ah bless 'em us clubs blessed with a history not filled with Oil (chelski excluded) not pandering to Citey's every need :violin:

Marc Overmars
21-07-2020, 08:36 AM
Fuck him. Chequebook manager who’s never had the bottle for a proper challenge.

Good on every club who pushed the case. It’s also obvious they wanted no delay so they knew if they could play for 5th or not.

Bald cunt.

Letters
21-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Pretty much :lol:

Penguin
21-07-2020, 09:31 AM
Imagine a manager of a club who bought their success trying to take the moral high ground.

Mac76
21-07-2020, 09:38 AM
It's not like it's his business to talk about that stuff anyway, that's a corporate thing, he's just upset that Arteta got the better of him

Having said that i think we were a bit shoddy in the way we tapped up Arteta, it's Raul's mafia-like approach coming through again

GP
21-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Bitter cunt.

I am invisible
21-07-2020, 05:02 PM
Man City are clearly the real victims here. You lot all owe Man City an apology.

I am invisible
21-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Poor Pep! As if he needs this on top of all the other challenges he has to deal with.

I am invisible
21-07-2020, 05:21 PM
No, i think he'll come good, he was very influential yesterday
Yeah, I’d like another year to see what he can do - he’s clearly not a £70m player, but he’s also walked into an absolute shambles this season, so I think you’ve got to cut him a bit of slack. I’d like to be sure about him before we can him off...

I am invisible
21-07-2020, 05:37 PM

I hate my new sense of optimism around Arteta and the team because we are all used to the wheels coming off soon after.

However, if Arteta can get Luiz and Mustafi playing well he should do very well with Saliba, Holding, Chambers and Mari.

In addition, and as mentioned above, our transfer funds will need to come from the players he moves out. Therefore, the longer he makes Mustafi and Luiz look good, the more money we should receive.

We should then focus on shifting out wasters like Ozil. We will be able to put that £350,000 a week to good use. Maybe shift Pepe as well.
Considering we haven’t seen a great deal of Mari, Holding, Tierney, Soares and Martinez this season (and nothing of Saliba), we’ve already got the makings of a new look defence there. Don’t know how good it will turn out to be, but I’d be very tempted to run with it for a season and blow the entire summer budget on central midfield this summer.

Anyone who is on north of £90k/wk and isn’t guaranteed to be a starter after we’ve gone shopping is in the firing line, imo, and that could include some shock names (depending on how desperate for cash we are).

Chippy
21-07-2020, 09:53 PM

And after the Villa game, my optimism disappears like a rat up a fucking drain pipe. Fuck it.