PDA

View Full Version : Winter Transfer Panic Buying and Misery.

Pages : [1] 2

McNamara That Ghost...
16-12-2020, 10:25 PM
Well time for this I would say, if we are still in this position or worse come January I imagine we'll throw a truckload at it in January, in panic.

That is, throw a truckload at it then back away from each and every deal when it becomes a little too realistic.

Marc Overmars
16-12-2020, 10:42 PM
Would rather we just give the game time to the kids. We don’t need anymore expensive middle of the road players on deadweight contracts.

hobson's choice
17-12-2020, 05:09 AM
Would rather we just give the game time to the kids. We don’t need anymore expensive middle of the road players on deadweight contracts.

Facts

I just want players sold or just given away

Özim
17-12-2020, 03:03 PM
Best thing we can do is move Arteta out (hopefully it happens before then), that would be more positive than any transfer because the guy is driving the team into the ground.

Mac76
17-12-2020, 03:40 PM

agree with this and also Hobson's comment - we should just focus on slimming down the squad - ship out ****s like mustafi - don't try to get money for them just get rid

selassie
17-12-2020, 03:51 PM
Best thing we can do is move Arteta out (hopefully it happens before then), that would be more positive than any transfer because the guy is driving the team into the ground.

Agreed.

I wouldn't give Arteta a penny more to spend, he and Edu need to be removed first before we think of any further rebuilding.

Chippy
17-12-2020, 04:02 PM
Well time for this I would say, if we are still in this position or worse come January I imagine we'll throw a truckload at it in January, in panic.

That is, throw a truckload at it then back away from each and every deal when it becomes a little too realistic.

We did the same in 1995 (I think).

It was George Graham's last season before Stewart Houston took temporary charge. We were sliding towards the relegation zone (Like now) and we panicked and bought Chris Kiwomya and John Hartson in the January window.

Mind you, Kiwomya scored a late goal against Forest at Highbury to relieve the pressure and we obviously stayed up and got clear of the trouble.

:bow: Relegation survival!

IBK
18-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Agreed.

I wouldn't give Arteta a penny more to spend, he and Edu need to be removed first before we think of any further rebuilding.

Yep - part of our problem has been spunking money unwisely in a desperate attempt to achieve CL football, leading to bizzare, disjointed and unsuccessful senior player recruitment. As Letters says on the other thread, I don't think we will go down, and even with wise heads at the wheel, buying one or two players in ain't going to get us top four this season. The rest of this season should be used to develop our promising youngsters as part of a longer term strategy. 8th; 10th or 15th in the league doesn't make much difference at this stage TBF. Planning properly for the future will.

Gooner23
18-12-2020, 01:03 PM
We desperately need an attacking midfielder, I just really hope it's not someone like Erikson.

GP
18-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Aouar is the man.

Though I've no idea if he's the man.

Chippy
18-12-2020, 01:37 PM
We desperately need an attacking midfielder, I just really hope it's not someone like Erikson.

Could we not get Guendouzi and Torreira back from their loan signings?

They are miles better than the dog s*** we have at the moment!

I would get Ramsey back on a loan deal as well.

Mac76
18-12-2020, 01:37 PM

agree, we don't want some ageing spuds cast-off

Bumble
19-12-2020, 08:36 PM
Grealish and Maddison.... young quality and unrealistic

Mac76
19-12-2020, 10:48 PM

Grealish strikes me as the kind of gifted player Arteta secretly hates, Maddison too probably

selassie
20-12-2020, 09:47 PM

I am being deadly honest here, I don’t think either player would want to come. In Grealish’s case, he clearly loves Villa and they look half decent this season. In Maddison’s case, we are a step down from Leicester right now, they are undeniably a better team than us based on the past few seasons.

Yes we are a bigger club than both Villa & Leicester, but we ain’t going to be attracting decent homegrown talent from either club until we sort ourselves out.

Mac76
21-12-2020, 11:41 AM
I hope this isn't true, it's a new manager we need more than anything

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/relegation-battle/news/arsenal-plan-to-back-arteta-with-january-funds-to-avoid-relegation_427436.html

Marc Overmars
24-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Apparently Atletico Madrid want AMN.

hobson's choice
24-12-2020, 07:24 PM
Apparently Atletico Madrid want AMN.

If I'm Ainsley I'm getting the fukk outta this Club asap and saying hello to Athletico. Where he can really get developed

Mac76
24-12-2020, 11:53 PM
If I'm Ainsley I'm getting the fukk outta this Club asap and saying hello to Athletico. Where he can really get developed

Totally

hobson's choice
27-12-2020, 01:32 AM
With the TV money situation in France, we need to raid Ligue 1/2/3

I am invisible
27-12-2020, 08:53 AM
A better back-up keeper needs to be top of the list - if we lose Leno, we are fuuuuuuuuucked!

Xhaka Can’t
27-12-2020, 09:18 AM
TBF, we’re doing a pretty good job of being fucked already.

Gooner23
27-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Even more fucked then.

I agree... Runarrson looks conference level.

Having a Smith Rowe type player in the no. 10 role made such a difference yesterday, hopefully we can bring someone in to add some extra quality. Smith Rowe should also get more game time there as well.

Gooner23
27-12-2020, 09:27 AM
One of the best things we could do is get Ozil, Kola, Mustafi etc off the books. Lot of rumours now about squad divisions and unrest over the Ozil treatment. Lets just get rid of all the wasters.

Mac76
27-12-2020, 09:56 AM
Yesterday showed it's as much to do with Arteta actually using what he's got in terms of younger players as it is to do with buying new ones

I'd try to ship Willian back out in January along with Mustafi, Xhaka (one FK doesn't excuse all the shit before it) and other total wastes of space

That would also include Eddie, who's hopeless

I am invisible
27-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Agreed - really hard to judge what we need when there’s still so much we haven’t tried.

I’d like to see AMN given a go in CM, but even if he gets his chance and takes it I still think we’re 1 CM light? Quite worrying how quickly that hole in the middle reappears without Partey in there.

Also still feels like we need another creative option - we looked a hundred times better with Martinelli and ESR in the side, but I’m very conscious that they’re both on their way back from long term injuries, and that we may have to carefully manage their minutes for a few months to come.

Think I’d be looking at domestic options before I looked abroad this time - we need players that are instantly ready for English football.

Gooner23
27-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Buendia seems to be the most linked.

I am invisible
27-12-2020, 12:08 PM
Buendia would be a decent shout. I’ve also seen quite a few sites talking up Olise (at Reading) as the next big think - £8m release clause, apparently.

McNamara That Ghost...
27-12-2020, 01:03 PM
We cannot add any non-homegrown players until we get rid of some, is that right?

Gooner23
27-12-2020, 01:07 PM
You're right, hadn't thought of that. Even more reason to get rid of Kolasinac and Mustafi. I'd throw Luiz in as well but I think he'll see out the season. We're lumped with Willian and Cedric for the forseeable future.

Gooner23
29-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Isco being linked on a 6 month loan

Gooner23
30-12-2020, 09:20 PM
Apparently Mustafi wants out this January. Please be true :pray:

Hopefully we'll see a few more moved on as well.

Mac76
30-12-2020, 09:59 PM
Apparently Mustafi wants out this January. Please be true :pray:

:gp:

Gooner23
31-12-2020, 07:17 AM
Kolasinac off to Schalke on loan, that's one down!

I am invisible
31-12-2020, 07:48 AM
Taking out the trash!

Shit, that reminds me - it’s bin day! Got to go...

KSE Comedy Club
31-12-2020, 08:47 AM

No it isn't one down.

We must sell these guys!

Loanees end up coming back :sulk:

GP
31-12-2020, 09:18 AM
New signing!

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/transfer-news/how-much-arsenal-pay-omar-19538105

Gooner23
31-12-2020, 10:31 AM
No it isn't one down.

We must sell these guys!

Not ideal but its probably the best we can hope for given his salary, which I suspect we are subsidising.

I am invisible
31-12-2020, 10:34 AM
No it isn't one down.

We must sell these guys!

Still good news - he's clearly no longer in the manager's thinking, and report's suggest he's taking a big pay cut to make this loan happen. That bodes well for moving him on in the summer - kind of suggests that he's just as eager to get out...

I am invisible
31-12-2020, 11:05 AM
Standard.co.uk (https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-transfer-news-january-window-squad-target-mikel-arteta-b591861.html)

Arteta said: “We have a large squad. We knew that, and a lot of things that happened in the summer we could not accomplish them for different reasons. There are some players who are going to go on loan, they are going to leave. That is the priority at the moment.

“We cannot sustain the numbers that we have in certain positions. We are looking to do that and then we will see if we have the right opportunity in the positions where we need some more help. We are working with the club to try to do that as well."

“We are working on a couple of things.

“There are some conversations around a few players and whether we can find some loans, because the numbers we have in the squad at the moment are really big.”

“We need to be careful with that,” he said.

“Obviously financially, it is not just us, it is every club in the country. We are going to have to add, somehow, if we want to improve the team in different ways, and we will decide whether we will do loans or buying players in relation to the opportunity that we have.”

Not gonna get my hopes up for recruitment, but it sounds promising re: departures - even if all we do is remove some of the crap I'll call that a win.

Gooner23
31-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Standard.co.uk (https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-transfer-news-january-window-squad-target-mikel-arteta-b591861.html)

Not gonna get my hopes up for recruitment, but it sounds promising re: departures - even if all we do is remove some of the crap I'll call that a win.

I think realistically this is the most likely to happen;

OUTS
Kolasinac (loan)
Mustafi
Sokratis
Saliba (loan)
Chambers (loan)
Plus a few more youngsters out on loan

INS
1 creative midfielder, most likely a loan e.g. Isco
Experienced back up keeper, would probably need to be British
The young CB from Berlin

Can't see Ozil budging, seems quite content to sit on his contract until the summer.

GP
31-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Nelson might get a loan, Arteta doesn't seem to like him much.

Gooner23
31-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Apparently he's been injured but I agree he doesn't get much of a look in. Could be a loan in Jan and then sold in the summer.

I know not all the youngsters will make it, but I'd be disappointed to see him go knowing we're stuck with Willian for another 2 years.

I am invisible
31-12-2020, 11:44 AM

https://arseblog.news/2020/12/arteta-reveals-reason-for-reiss-nelson-absence/

Sounds like Arteta wants to keep him.

The lack of agitation and noise from some of the underused younger players is kind of interesting? Normally you'd have stories being leaked to papers and agents getting more vocal the closer you get to a window, but it's all very quiet? It only seems to be a handful of senior players rocking the boat, atm...

I am invisible
31-12-2020, 12:00 PM
I think realistically this is the most likely to happen;

OUTS
Kolasinac (loan)
Mustafi
Sokratis
Saliba (loan)
Chambers (loan)
Plus a few more youngsters out on loan

INS
1 creative midfielder, most likely a loan e.g. Isco
Experienced back up keeper, would probably need to be British
The young CB from Berlin

Can't see Ozil budging, seems quite content to sit on his contract until the summer.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sokratis and Mustafi were loans that are made perm in the summer - can't see anyone paying good money for them in January when they'll be free in a couple of months. Just get them off the wage bill - that will be enough.

I'd also consider sending Ceballos back to Madrid and giving more minutes to AMN and Willock? He hasn't been brilliant for us, he clearly doesn't see his future here and he seems to start a lot of fights - not sure he's worth the effort.

Gooner23
31-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Not ideal but its probably the best we can hope for given his salary, which I suspect we are subsidising.

I stand corrected, apparently he's taking a big pay cut so we don't need to subsidise his wages.

Marc Overmars
31-12-2020, 03:30 PM

Bye.

Globalgunner
31-12-2020, 05:42 PM
All we need now is for David Beckham and Justin Bieber to get on the phone and entice Ozil over to Miami

Mac76
31-12-2020, 08:52 PM
It's great to see us farming Kola out but i'll never be totally happy until both Xhaka and Mustafi have gone, i hate them both

GP
31-12-2020, 09:45 PM
You’ve never heard of the Millennium Falcon? It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

Mac76
01-01-2021, 12:40 AM
You’ve never heard of the Millennium Falcon? It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

Let's say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements...

Marc Overmars
02-01-2021, 01:53 PM
Looks like Saliba might be off on loan somewhere but more weirdly, we’re apparently not against selling him altogether.

Whatever happens, I think we deserve an explanation why a 27m signing hasn’t played for the club yet and isn’t even deemed worthy of a place in the squad. It is a joke.

GP
02-01-2021, 02:13 PM
Not even involved against Molde and Dundalk.

Bizarre.

Gooner23
02-01-2021, 03:04 PM
Looks like Saliba might be off on loan somewhere but more weirdly, we’re apparently not against selling him altogether.

Whatever happens, I think we deserve an explanation why a 27m signing hasn’t played for the club yet and isn’t even deemed worthy of a place in the squad. It is a joke.

Agreed, the whole thing is very fishy.

selassie
02-01-2021, 10:38 PM

He came here with a huge rep, in France they were saying this kid was the next "Varane" based on his breakthrough at St Etienne. He was playing against the likes of Neymar, Mbappe, Depay etc and bossing it.

I fail to accept that this kid hasn't got the required quality to breakthrough at Arsenal, he must have an issue with Arteta similar to Guendouzi.

Gooner23
04-01-2021, 09:08 AM
Saliba off to Nice on loan, shame he won't be getting experience in English footy. Will be interesting to see what happens with him in the summer.

Mac76
04-01-2021, 10:25 AM
He came here with a huge rep, in France they were saying this kid was the next "Varane" based on his breakthrough at St Etienne. He was playing against the likes of Neymar, Mbappe, Depay etc and bossing it.

I fail to accept that this kid hasn't got the required quality to breakthrough at Arsenal, he must have an issue with Arteta similar to Guendouzi.

Presumably he doesn't run around enough traffic cones to satisfy Arteta

Can't say i trust Arteta's judgement on whether a player is up to playing in the first team, given he only gave ESR a go when he was forced to

Mac76
04-01-2021, 11:59 AM
ESR :bow:

Isco :pal:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-end-isco-interest-due-to-smith-rowe_429125.html

Marc Overmars
04-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Don’t need Isco, don’t need anyone. Play the kids and let them earn their stripes.

In the summer we will finally be taking a huge weight off the wage bill, so take stock then and go from there. No need to waste money on short term bums who won’t make a difference.

GP
04-01-2021, 01:00 PM
New contract for Ozil.

KSE Comedy Club
04-01-2021, 01:39 PM
It's great to see us farming Kola out but i'll never be totally happy until both Xhaka and Mustafi have gone, i hate them both

This :gp:

Xhaka is one of the most over rated footballers in the Arsenal fan base.

When he was 'leaving' not one decent team came in for him or showed any interest.

He is bang average at best.

KSE Comedy Club
04-01-2021, 01:41 PM
Been hearing rumours we are trying to sign Buendia from Norwich.

Would we be happy with that?

Globalgunner
04-01-2021, 04:01 PM
I would. He has bags of talent and would be an upgrade on Willian and the epileptic efforts of Pepe. Still cannot wrap my head around the stupidity of signing Willian. Ceballos too needs dumping outside the Madrid stadium with a fast getaway car in case he tries to hop back in. He is tripe

Bumble
04-01-2021, 05:04 PM
This :gp:

Xhaka is one of the most over rated footballers in the Arsenal fan base.

When he was 'leaving' not one decent team came in for him or showed any interest.

He is bang average at best.

Xhaka over-rated... we all this he is useless on this forum.

I am invisible
04-01-2021, 05:48 PM
Buendia would be a smart signing - good player in his own right, thinks fast and uses both feet, and plays both right wing and as a #10, so we'd have instant competition and cover for Saka and Smith Rowe.

I don't think he'd block the path of those two either - could play the three of them on a '2 games on, 1 game off' rota to keep them happy and well-rested, or we could play all 3 of them at the same time, e.g. if we rested Martinelli / Auba and moved Saka to the left for a game, or used Smith Rowe as an #8. Options.

I am invisible
04-01-2021, 05:52 PM
I would. He has bags of talent and would be an upgrade on Willian and the epileptic efforts of Pepe. Still cannot wrap my head around the stupidity of signing Willian. Ceballos too needs dumping outside the Madrid stadium with a fast getaway car in case he tries to hop back in. He is tripe

:good:

I can just about understand the logic of Willian if we thought we were getting an "experienced" "role-model" to help usher in some of the kids over the next year or two, but the contract we've given him is just insane! Absolutely crazy considering the struggle we've had to offload Özil, Mkhi and the rest of the £100k+/wk club (not to mention completely tone-deaf after the wave of redundancies). And of course you've now got to ask major questions over how his performance levels were scouted given how he's turned out.

Agree about Ceballos - he's occasionally good, but mostly he's meh, he doesn't look particularly motivated and clearly doesn't see himself here beyond the end of the season, and he sounds like a bit of dick, given how many fights he's started. Not worth the effort or the minutes he's getting.

Gooner23
04-01-2021, 08:47 PM
Been linked with Brandt, talented player but seems a bit fair weather. Think Buendia would be a better option.

Mac76
04-01-2021, 09:50 PM
Saliba loan to Nice confirmed, though the statement is keen to stress it's just for development

https://www.arsenal.com/news/william-saliba-joins-nice-loan

I am invisible
05-01-2021, 07:23 AM
Yeah, no option to buy, which is good.

The player also sounds like he’s still keen to make it here, although there’s no direct quote on that. Whatever the problem was over the summer, hopefully we can put it behind us...

Mac76
05-01-2021, 10:06 AM
Apparently we might be offering Nelson or Willock for Buendia

i'd be happier with Willock leaving tbh still not sure he offers that much except a bit of running and the occasional shot

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-make-contact-over-player-plus-cash-deal-for-buendia_429194.html

Globalgunner
05-01-2021, 10:16 AM
Willock and Nketiah. Need to leave, maybe with a buy-back clause just in case, but really I see little potential with either

I am invisible
05-01-2021, 10:51 AM
Apparently we might be offering Nelson or Willock for Buendia

i'd be happier with Willock leaving tbh still not sure he offers that much except a bit of running and the occasional shot

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-make-contact-over-player-plus-cash-deal-for-buendia_429194.html

Loan or perm?

I am invisible
05-01-2021, 10:59 AM
Willock and Nketiah. Need to leave, maybe with a buy-back clause just in case, but really I see little potential with either

We're going to need to seriously start thinking about our forward line because Lacazette and Nketiah will both be down to their final 12 months by the summer and Balogun will be out of contract.

Mac76
05-01-2021, 05:04 PM
Loan or perm?

well the article isn't clear but it's permanent i presume as it talks about a cash-plus plaeyr deal?

Mac76
05-01-2021, 05:04 PM
We're going to need to seriously start thinking about our forward line because Lacazette and Nketiah will both be down to their final 12 months by the summer and Balogun will be out of contract.

we need to give Balogun a deal and ship out Eddie

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2021, 05:57 PM
Don't waste anymore money on duds. Just play the kids. Saka is worth 20 Pepe signings. Tierney is worth 10. Our young strikers are just as good as the big money alternatives, when it boils down to practicalities such as how would a big new signing fit into this ramshackle outfit anyway? Look at the new big money guy we signed in the middle. Nothing. He's injured half the time. Go with what we have that's good and drop the rest. We have to go back to basics, not decorate a pig with expensive lipstick.

I am invisible
05-01-2021, 06:39 PM
we need to give Balogun a deal and ship out Eddie
He definitely looks the better talent - I’m just not sure how to play that one now he’s down to his final 6 months? What’s it going to take to persuade him to sign? We’re going to need a commitment from him pretty bloody quick so we know we’re not wasting our time.

Gooner23
05-01-2021, 08:51 PM
News breaking that Ozil is in negotiations with DC United, will believe it when I see it! Also linked to Fenerbahce but don't see that one happening due to his salary.

Whatever happens with Mesut I do think the squad will be in a healthier position come the end of the window. Dead wood moved on and players back from injury who can improve the team (Partey and Martinelli).

Gooner23
05-01-2021, 08:54 PM
He definitely looks the better talent - I’m just not sure how to play that one now he’s down to his final 6 months? What’s it going to take to persuade him to sign? We’re going to need a commitment from him pretty bloody quick so we know we’re not wasting our time.

I'd be surprised at this stage if Balogun signed a new contract. Suspect he has already signed something with another club. Would be a shame because Laca and Eddie both likely to be sold in the summer.

Marc Overmars
05-01-2021, 09:33 PM
News breaking that Ozil is in negotiations with DC United, will believe it when I see it! Also linked to Fenerbahce but don't see that one happening due to his salary.

Whatever happens with Mesut I do think the squad will be in a healthier position come the end of the window. Dead wood moved on and players back from injury who can improve the team (Partey and Martinelli).

Great news if Ozil has finally decided to fuck off.

I am invisible
05-01-2021, 10:26 PM
I'd be surprised at this stage if Balogun signed a new contract. Suspect he has already signed something with another club. Would be a shame because Laca and Eddie both likely to be sold in the summer.
Hope you’re wrong, but I fear you’re probably right. He apparently has a history of delaying contract talks, and the lack of any kind of noise about a new deal is probably telling...

Marc Overmars
05-01-2021, 10:39 PM
Maybe Balogun’s lack of chances also suggests the club feel like he is leaving regardless, so no point in integrating him. :shrug:

Fuck knows but it would be a huge shame to lose the kid. We need a fresh face up front but at least Martinelli is back now and hopefully hits the ground running soon.

I am invisible
06-01-2021, 07:07 AM
Yeah, feels like a bit of a Mexican stand-off - Balogun won’t sign unless he gets chances, and the club won’t give him chances unless he commits.

Honestly, I’m not sure there’s enough chances we could offer him now anyway. Would giving him Nketiah’s chances make a difference? I think you’d be talking about pinching game time from Lacazette, Aubameyang or Martinelli for it to be enough to sway him, and even then he might want assurances that a couple of those guys will be moving on this summer. Not impossible, but tough.

KSE Comedy Club
06-01-2021, 09:29 AM
Yeah, feels like a bit of a Mexican stand-off - Balogun won’t sign unless he gets chances, and the club won’t give him chances unless he commits.

Honestly, I’m not sure there’s enough chances we could offer him now anyway. Would giving him Nketiah’s chances make a difference? I think you’d be talking about pinching game time from Lacazette, Aubameyang or Martinelli for it to be enough to sway him, and even then he might want assurances that a couple of those guys will be moving on this summer. Not impossible, but tough.

Typical Dumb shit from the people running this club.

Just put something in the contract guaranteeing x number of games for a season or two, to be reviewed based on performances, and I'm sure he will sign.
Why do they make everything so fucking hard :doh:

Globalgunner
06-01-2021, 12:13 PM
I think you grossly underestimate the sheer stupidity of the mongs running this club. These fools couldn't prosper selling drinking water in the Sahara desert. They would tell thirsty travellers that they should pay now and get their water at the end of the journey.

Hot rumours of Ozil having agreed a 3,5 year contract with Fenerbache. Could it be true.?
Let it be so

Gooner23
06-01-2021, 12:33 PM
I normally discount any rumours from Turkey, but this does seem to have legs. Wonder if we'll be subsidising salary until the summer in a loan to buy deal.

I am invisible
06-01-2021, 01:01 PM
Do we still have to wait until the summer until he fucks off, or is he going now?

Gooner23
06-01-2021, 01:45 PM
Do we still have to wait until the summer until he fucks off, or is he going now?

Unclear at this stage I think.

I was expecting him to take every penny of the contract we gave him so would be quite surprised if he did leave now.

I am invisible
06-01-2021, 02:04 PM
Unclear at this stage I think.

I was expecting him to take every penny of the contract we gave him so would be quite surprised if he did leave now.
Either way I guess we’ll end up subsidising his next 6 months, so it probably won’t translate into extra January budget.

I almost don’t care at this point - he’s just too divisive and distracting to keep him around.

Gooner23
06-01-2021, 02:20 PM
Either way I guess we’ll end up subsidising his next 6 months, so it probably won’t translate into extra January budget.

I almost don’t care at this point - he’s just too divisive and distracting to keep him around.

Agreed, I just want him gone. It's so boring now!

Gooner23
06-01-2021, 02:55 PM
Just listened to Ornstein's latest transfer update on Arsenal, was quite interesting.

- Reckons we are definitely after a top no. 10, with ESR to be his understudy and hopefully successor in time.
- May need to wait until the summer though. Not keen on Erikson (phew), Isco unlikely to happen and Buendia not top of our list and likely to be too expensive at 40 mil. Brandt could be an option.
- As others have reported the focus on Jan is outgoings. Sokratis, Mustafi and Ozil the three most likely to leave.

Chippy
06-01-2021, 03:02 PM
Just listened to Ornstein's latest transfer update on Arsenal, was quite interesting.

- Reckons we are definitely after a top no. 10, with ESR to be his understudy and hopefully successor in time.
- May need to wait until the summer though. Not keen on Erikson (phew), Isco unlikely to happen and Buendia not top of our list and likely to be too expensive at 40 mil. Brandt could be an option.
- As others have reported the focus on Jan is outgoings. Sokratis, Mustafi and Ozil the three most likely to leave.

Point 3.

Now that we have appeared to have steadied the ship in our slide down the table (towards the relegation places), this window and the pre-season MUST just be about getting rid of the dead wood, and there is plenty of that.

This coupled with the emergence of Saka, Tierney and Smith-Rowe, the future may have a glint of light........probably.

selassie
06-01-2021, 03:34 PM

I personally think Brandt is our best option. He was playing at a really high level last season for Dortmund in the Bundesliga and CL. I'm not sure of the reasons why but he has been on the bench for them mostly this season, Reyna (another one of Dortmund's wonderkids) has his spot in the team.

I've watched Brandt a bit over the years and I think he's a decent player, technically excellent, both footed and quite versatile. His development has stunted a bit so to speak, as a teenager he was being talked up as a future world class player, but despite that...I think he could do a decent job for us.

Of the other options, Eriksen and Isco only really provide short term options and both would come on massive wages, NOT interested.

Buendia is decent enough, but I don't think he's an upgrade on ESR and he is absolutely not worth 40million in this current market.

I am invisible
06-01-2021, 04:24 PM
It’d be worth getting Brandt just for the insult to Özil.

“You know what this team really needs? A German no.10!”

GP
06-01-2021, 05:41 PM
Dortmund fans aren't upset about Brandt leaving. Very inconsistent, apparently.

Mac76
06-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Point 3.

Now that we have appeared to have steadied the ship in our slide down the table (towards the relegation places), this window and the pre-season MUST just be about getting rid of the dead wood, and there is plenty of that.

This coupled with the emergence of Saka, Tierney and Smith-Rowe, the future may have a glint of light........probably.

i still don't agree Ozil is deadwood, if we need a No 10, why buy one when we have a perfectly good one on the books FFS? it's only Arteta's stubbornness that's keeping him out of the team surely so why doesn't he grow up and make Ozil part of the PL squad for the second half of the season - there's NO WAY he's not gonna be better than Willian

I am invisible
06-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Don’t do it to yourself, mate - Özil won’t do shit for us at this point. Picture someone who’s the same age as Willian, but who hasn’t played competitive football for 9 months - that’s pretty much what you’d be getting if you brought him back. He never put much effort in even at his peak - why on earth would he bother now?

Mac76
06-01-2021, 06:52 PM
Don’t do it to yourself, mate - Özil won’t do shit for us at this point. Picture someone who’s the same age as Willian, but who hasn’t played competitive football for 9 months - that’s pretty much what you’d be getting if you brought him back. He never put much effort in even at his peak - why on earth would he bother now?

Well he does still train with the squad, but i get your point.

but I still think he'd be better than Willian even if he literally had not walked a step in nine months :lol:

GP
06-01-2021, 07:01 PM
Ozil is never kicking a ball for Arsenal again.

Mac76
06-01-2021, 07:46 PM
Ozil is never kicking a ball for Arsenal again.

Probably not, but it's still a scandal - I hope he spills the beans and pours a ton of sh*t over Arteta when he leaves

Gooner23
06-01-2021, 08:02 PM
Probably not, but it's still a scandal - I hope he spills the beans and pours a ton of sh*t over Arteta when he leaves

The biggest scandal was giving him a 350 grand a week contract!

selassie
06-01-2021, 08:20 PM
It’d be worth getting Brandt just for the insult to Özil.

“You know what this team really needs? A German no.10!”

:lol:

Globalgunner
06-01-2021, 08:23 PM
Ozil has replaced Winston Bogarde as code for the indolent parasite of a footballer.
He was never that good anyways.

selassie
06-01-2021, 08:27 PM
Dortmund fans aren't upset about Brandt leaving. Very inconsistent, apparently.

Yeah he is definitely inconsistent but beggars can't be choosers. Also, you would assume someone like Brandt would be heavily rotated with ESR and one of our wide players if he is ever needed in that position.

IMO Arsenal aren't in a position to sign close to the finished article or a sought after young star, we just don't have the appeal anymore.

I'm not saying that we should sign Brandt, but I can't think of a whole heap of players who I personally think we could attract who have that much more upside than Brandt.

Mac76
06-01-2021, 10:15 PM
The biggest scandal was giving him a 350 grand a week contract!

... and then leaving him out of our registered squads, yes agreed

Marc Overmars
07-01-2021, 10:29 AM
Arteta has said Ozil can leave if a deal is right for both parties.

I would have thought from our perspective, anything is better than paying someone 350k a week to do nothing.

GP
07-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Ornstein says Balogun is on his way out.

Marc Overmars
07-01-2021, 11:30 AM
FFS.

I think we can all agree on wishing him a hugely unsuccessful career...

Gooner23
07-01-2021, 11:42 AM
Hoping this isn't another Gnabry..

Mac76
07-01-2021, 11:53 AM
FFS.

I think we can all agree on wishing him a hugely unsuccessful career...

as long as it's not with spuds...

Chippy
07-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Ornstein says Balogun is on his way out.

What a mistake.

Why not move out Eddie and keep Balogun? :angry:

Niall_Quinn
07-01-2021, 12:28 PM
What a mistake.

It's a dangerous new low. Even the youngsters can't see a way forward with this club. Arteta's had 17 games to take a chance and turn this around, build a team based on young talent, but he's lacked the courage to do it. Players like Mustafi and Xhaka cost the club in many more ways than the inflated wages. Weak managers means nothing changes.

Marc Overmars
07-01-2021, 01:30 PM
What a mistake.

Helps that Eddie is rubbish and probably knows how lucky he is to even be considered an option for Arsenal.

I am invisible
07-01-2021, 05:04 PM
What a mistake.

Honestly, I think they’ll both be gone by the summer. Lacazette too.

Mac76
07-01-2021, 08:01 PM
Honestly, I think they’ll both be gone by the summer. Lacazette too.

I'd like to think you're right about Eddie, but don't forget that Arteta thinks Xhaka's indespensible and, until ESSR and Saka showed him otherwise, that Willian was too...

I am invisible
07-01-2021, 10:05 PM
I'd like to think you're right about Eddie, but don't forget that Arteta thinks Xhaka's indespensible and, until ESSR and Saka showed him otherwise, that Willian was too...
Eddie will be down to his final year by the summer and I haven’t seen any talk of extending. I guess Brexit and HG quotas could still save him, but we need funds, and we could get an English premium for him.

I’m not as convinced that Arteta sees Xhaka as indispensable as you are - I think he might just be blowing smoke up his arse because he needs a performance out of him. I know Partey has only played 2.5 games for us so far, but he’s clearly first choice, and when he has played Xhaka has been benched. When Partey’s out I think Xhaka creeps back in because none of our other midfielders have any kind of leadership credentials, but when Partey’s fit then Xhaka looks far from indispensable.

Really don’t know what to make of the chances Willian has had, though. All I can think of is it’s pressure to justify the signing, because unlike Pepe and Özil and all the other players he hasn’t hesitated to bench or banish, this one is his responsibility. Privately, I reckon he knows he’s signed a dud there - how can you not - but can you imagine how bad it would look to the owners and the board if he gave up on him after a month? No way to avoid it though - he’s not improving. Arteta and Edu are in for a shouting on that one.

Mac76
08-01-2021, 10:28 AM
looks like Ozil's Fenerbahce move might be happening

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/mesut-ozil-agrees-permanent-arsenal-exit_429580.html

dazthegooner
08-01-2021, 07:28 PM
Latest rumour regarding Balagun https://www.caughtoffside.com/2021/01/08/late-hope-for-arsenal-with-folarin-balogun-over-suggestions-he-will-stay-if-teammate-is-sold/

Mac76
08-01-2021, 10:21 PM
Latest rumour regarding Balagun https://www.caughtoffside.com/2021/01/08/late-hope-for-arsenal-with-folarin-balogun-over-suggestions-he-will-stay-if-teammate-is-sold/

Sounds like a win-win if we offload Eddie and keep Balogun

And if it happens then...

West Ham :pal:

McNamara That Ghost...
08-01-2021, 11:51 PM
West Ham just got rid of a nothing striker, they're bonkers that they want another one.

GP
11-01-2021, 09:44 AM
Holdini signs a new contract.

Letters
11-01-2021, 09:53 AM

So he couldn't escape from us :cool:

Mac76
11-01-2021, 10:34 AM

pleased to hear it, a very useful and generally reliable player.

Gooner23
11-01-2021, 10:41 AM
Good for Holding, he's been pretty solid this season and more importantly isn't Luiz or Mustafi.

Gooner23
11-01-2021, 10:41 AM
Apparently we are looking to move Runarsson out on loan. The official line is he was only intended to be a 3rd choice, but given he's mid twenties and not home grown that's surely a face saving exercise.

No more recommendations from the keeper coach in the future please :doh:

GP
11-01-2021, 10:50 AM
To be fair, he was billed as third choice when he came in.

The backup keeper they were aiming for is Raya from Brentford.

Gooner23
11-01-2021, 11:03 AM

True, just not sure I buy it. I think he was a panic buy when we realised Raya wasn't coming.

Mac76
11-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Good for Holding, he's been pretty solid this season and more importantly isn't Luiz or Mustafi.

GP
11-01-2021, 11:26 AM
True, just not sure I buy it. I think he was a panic buy when we realised Raya wasn't coming.

Dunno, They knew Macey was leaving so they needed someone in.

Chippy
11-01-2021, 12:00 PM

This is good news!

With Mari in the mix we are starting to put together a fairly decent list of centre backs (obviously we still need to shift Mustafi and a couple of the others stinking up the place!).

One thing that still confuses me. Why have signed another centre back for the future (Rekik) when we already have one in Saliba who cannot get a game and is constantly out on loan? :sarcy:

I am invisible
11-01-2021, 01:26 PM
This is good news!

With Mari in the mix we are starting to put together a fairly decent list of centre backs (obviously we still need to shift Mustafi and a couple of the others stinking up the place!).

One thing that still confuses me. Why have signed another centre back for the future (Rekik) when we already have one in Saliba who cannot get a game and is constantly out on loan? :sarcy:
I think it’s because we need to cover a shortfall in the u23s after sending a glut of players out on loan this year.

hobson's choice
11-01-2021, 08:09 PM
This is good news!

Luiz, Mustafi, Chambers, Socrates will all be gone by the summer. So that will leave us with Holding, Mari, Gab, and Saliba.

One or two off them will get injured, so 1 more, sounds r8ght

selassie
12-01-2021, 02:02 PM

Raya isn't up to much either. Good on the ball and a good shot stopper. But flaps on crosses, doesn't command his area with authority and punches more than catching.

Don't want him TBH. Our recruitment for keepers is embarrassing.

GP
12-01-2021, 04:12 PM
flaps on crosses, doesn't command his area with authority and punches more than catching.

Sounds like an Arsenal goalkeeper.

Mac76
12-01-2021, 08:01 PM
Sounds like an Arsenal goalkeeper.

It's why Martinez didn't fit in...

selassie
12-01-2021, 09:58 PM
It's why Martinez didn't fit in...

selassie
12-01-2021, 09:59 PM
pleased to hear it, a very useful and generally reliable player.

Yeah he has been pretty decent this season, I like him. Glad we have tied him down.

KSE Comedy Club
15-01-2021, 07:20 AM
Arteta was quoted yesterday as saying that Mustafi's place was here for now as we need back up.

He's not going anywhere.

We wont be a top 4 team until someone grows a pair and gets rid of the shit.

Clearly Arteta is a s deluded as the previous managers we've had :sulk:

Marc Overmars
16-01-2021, 10:59 AM
We’ve reached an agreement in principle to terminate Ozil’s contract. He’s expected to sign for Fenerbahce.

Ornstein has spoken.

Bye.

Gooner23
16-01-2021, 11:01 AM
We’ve reached an agreement in principle to terminate Ozil’s contract. He’s expected to sign for Fenerbahce.

Ornstein has spoken.

Bye.

Really thought he'd see out his contract, glad the saga will be over to be honest.

GP
16-01-2021, 11:18 AM
Thank god.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-01-2021, 12:13 PM
Well about time something happened on this. We still couldn't find anyone to buy him though. :lol:

We'd only be losing his wages anyway so worth finally ending the farce.

What an awful end to what was our record signing though, sad really.

Marc Overmars
16-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Signing him was pretty much the turning point in how this club operated. The stadium debt had eased and we could finally start spending big. It was a genuine superstar signing, I remember we were all in disbelief that we had pulled it off.

He started well enough but as Wenger faded so did he. The coaches since haven’t cared to pamper him as much.

A sad end but quite a relief that we can finally move on from this stupid situation.

I am invisible
16-01-2021, 01:28 PM
The game kind of changed around him too - the shift towards the high press clearly didn’t suit him and he didn’t adapt. Guess he had no incentive to once he signed that contract...

Globalgunner
16-01-2021, 02:09 PM
This should be a watershed moment for football in general and us as a club. No more contracts without a performance exit clause. If you play like shit. an independent board should be convened to determine if the contract can be ripped up.

We have a near identical situation with Willian again. I fear.

Mac76
16-01-2021, 02:16 PM
I agree he faded a bit at times and i realise he seemd not to get on with a succession of coaches, but given the low calibre of Emery, Freddie and the jury still out on Arteta (although he's undoubtedly a control freak) i've some sympathy for someone who knew he was a high-class player and didn't need to run around a thousand traffic cones an hour to prove it

the fact players like Xhaka, Willian and Mustafi have been nailed-on starters for long periods when we all knew they were shite proves that coaches not liking him is not to his discredit but to theirs

he could have been a help to us this season adn last season and if the money was wasted it was others' decission not to play him at times when he craved any creativity in the side - he wasn't a miracle cure and that £350k deal was riduculous but it was a scandal the way he was ignored for so long by people not fit to clean his boots

So long, Mesut - I'm glad you were an Arsenal player, you gave us some good times and i wish you all the best

I am invisible
16-01-2021, 03:50 PM
Arteta was quoted yesterday as saying that Mustafi's place was here for now as we need back up.

He's not going anywhere.

We wont be a top 4 team until someone grows a pair and gets rid of the shit.

Clearly Arteta is a s deluded as the previous managers we've had :sulk:
Don’t panic just yet! He’s not being offered a new contract and he’s barely even making the bench atm - he’s in no one’s plans past this season, imo.

Look at the efforts we went to to tie Saka, Martinelli and Auba down to new deals last year. Look at the recent extension for Holding. These things get done when we’re talking about a player that we genuinely want to keep. Even when we can’t agree a deal, you still know when talks have been going on (e.g. Balogun) - with Mustafi there’s been nothing.

I’d carefully sift anything Arteta says about players before the summer window - he still needs to get a turn out of these players between now and then, and maximise value for sales. Keep your eye on who is actually being offered contracts, especially players who are down to 18 months or less - that will tell you more about who he really trusts and who we’re planning to build around.

I am invisible
16-01-2021, 03:57 PM
This should be a watershed moment for football in general and us as a club. No more contracts without a performance exit clause. If you play like shit. an independent board should be convened to determine if the contract can be ripped up.

We have a near identical situation with Willian again. I fear.
And Auba, potentially. I actually think he’ll play himself out of this funk eventually, but that’s not really the point - we should never have handed out that deal.

I just hope we’ve learned our lesson when it comes to Lacazette - respect to him for his current form and the way he’s fought his way back into the team, but we should absolutely look to sell this summer.

Marc Overmars
17-01-2021, 05:32 PM
Ozil confirms the Fenerbache move.

:wave:

selassie
19-01-2021, 02:03 PM

Ornstein has spoken.

Bye.

Good news on this and I am surprised he hasn't sat it out, but I guess we would have given him some kind of compensation package.

This is a start, but I suspect the same kind of exits will happen for the likes of Kola (when he officially leaves), Sokaratis, Mustafi & maybe even Torreira.

I don't know how we got into this mess where we have built up a squad of senior players who are now deemed worthless, that's basically the reality of the situation and I don't see any other Prem clubs struggling like this.

Even Spuds are selling their 3rd choice right backs (Walker-Peters) for decent enough fees...we can't get rid of anybody for anything.

Mac76
19-01-2021, 03:52 PM
Good news on this and I am surprised he hasn't sat it out, but I guess we would have given him some kind of compensation package.

This is a start, but I suspect the same kind of exits will happen for the likes of Kola (when he officially leaves), Sokaratis, Mustafi & maybe even Torreira.

I don't know how we got into this mess where we have built up a squad of senior players who are now deemed worthless, that's basically the reality of the situation and I don't see any other Prem clubs struggling like this.

Even Spuds are selling their 3rd choice right backs (Walker-Peters) for decent enough fees...we can't get rid of anybody for anything.

i get the impression the club is dumb enough to think that they can get money for these crap players, just because we ourselves were stupid enough to buy them

personally i've said for ages i'd give away Mustafi, Xhaka, Kola etc just to get them off the books, stop paying them wages and allow the club to move forward instead of having them stinking the place out

hobson's choice
19-01-2021, 04:41 PM
We need a real striker, never realized how limited Auba is, he can only play one way.

Letters
19-01-2021, 04:49 PM
We need a real striker, never realized how limited Auba is, he can only play one way.

:blink:

He's got 78 goals in 129 appearances for us.

I mean, he's having a bad season but he's got 22 league goals in each of the last two seasons in, let's face it, a pretty mediocre Arsenal side.

I am invisible
19-01-2021, 05:12 PM
We need a striker because Lacazette and Nketiah will both be down to their final year by the summer, and Balogun is probably going to walk on a free. Need to cash in on those first two while we still can...

hobson's choice
19-01-2021, 06:30 PM
:blink:

He's got 78 goals in 129 appearances for us.

I mean, he's having a bad season but he's got 22 league goals in each of the last two seasons in, let's face it, a pretty mediocre Arsenal side.

Yes he's a goal scorer, but a very limited striker. We need a more complete striker this summer

Marc Overmars
19-01-2021, 07:27 PM
We need a peak RVP. Man, that cunt was exceptional when he wasn’t on the treatment table. Best striker we’ve had since Henry.

selassie
20-01-2021, 12:28 AM
i get the impression the club is dumb enough to think that they can get money for these crap players, just because we ourselves were stupid enough to buy them

personally i've said for ages i'd give away Mustafi, Xhaka, Kola etc just to get them off the books, stop paying them wages and allow the club to move forward instead of having them stinking the place out

Yep, though I’m not gonna lie, I’m warming to Xhaka in his current form! There I said it :lol:

I am invisible
20-01-2021, 07:37 AM
I can live with Xhaka, as long as we’re still looking to strengthen CM.

But if we strengthen CM then I doubt he’ll want to stay anyway, so that one might resolve itself.

I dunno... he’s a long way from our worst CM, and he does go on these decent runs of form, but I just have an issue with players that need other players alongside them to ‘fill in their blanks’ - you shouldn’t have to use two spots in your starting XI to make one complete player.

Mac76
20-01-2021, 09:24 AM
Yep, though I’m not gonna lie, I’m warming to Xhaka in his current form! There I said it :lol:

it's partly relative, i.e. he's not as bad as he was so people are thiinking 'Xhaka's ok' but he still has that ability to be sent off for something stupid, which will never leave him, plus he's too slow and overall just seems a bit of an a*sehole

i won't feel we've got a team that's genuinely ready to compete until we've got rid of flawed players like him for something better

Mac76
20-01-2021, 09:27 AM
We need a striker because Lacazette and Nketiah will both be down to their final year by the summer, and Balogun is probably going to walk on a free. Need to cash in on those first two while we still can...

we've messed up on Balogun

with Saka last season, we made him feel he'd be part of the future by playing him every week up to the point he signed a new contract (then stopped playing him so much for a while :lol:)

but for some reason with Balogun we're doing the opposite and it ain't working

it's a real messup by Arteta and Edu IMO

selassie
20-01-2021, 09:47 AM
I can live with Xhaka, as long as we’re still looking to strengthen CM.

But if we strengthen CM then I doubt he’ll want to stay anyway, so that one might resolve itself.

I dunno... he’s a long way from our worst CM, and he does go on these decent runs of form, but I just have an issue with players that need other players alongside them to ‘fill in their blanks’ - you shouldn’t have to use two spots in your starting XI to make one complete player.

Yeah, he's an issue but not our biggest issue.

The problem we have now is that we have question marks in pretty much every area of the First XI which is a major concern considering what we have spent over the past few seasons.

We have no room for error now, we have to get our recruitment right if we want to close the gap on the top 6 or whatever you want to call them.

I personally think there are 6, maybe 7 teams in the league that are unquestionably better teams than us, off the top of my head....Liverpool, City, United, Leicester, Spuds & Chelsea. I think at present we fall into the top 7-10 kind of level with teams such as Everton & Southampton. We are a Europa league level team now, I don't see us as a CL challenger until we improve the team.

selassie
20-01-2021, 09:50 AM
it's partly relative, i.e. he's not as bad as he was so people are thiinking 'Xhaka's ok' but he still has that ability to be sent off for something stupid, which will never leave him, plus he's too slow and overall just seems a bit of an a*sehole

i won't feel we've got a team that's genuinely ready to compete until we've got rid of flawed players like him for something better

Yep, outside of Partey and ESR, our midfield is a complete mess. I'd happily trade any of the others....Xhaka, Ceballos (not our player anyway), Elneny, Willock, Torreira & Guendouzi for new players.

I am invisible
20-01-2021, 10:22 AM

with Saka last season, we made him feel he'd be part of the future by playing him every week up to the point he signed a new contract (then stopped playing him so much for a while :lol:)

These things tend to come down to nothing more than being in the right place at the right time sometimes. I remember everyone giving us grief for letting Yaya Toure slip away, but the reality was he had the Invincibles' midfield in front of him at the time, so who would you have dropped to give him minutes?

With Saka and ESR, the stars have almost lined up perfectly for them, and they've hit first team readiness just as we've found ourself really short on quality in their areas. For Balogun the route into the side looks tougher - he's up against the likes of Aubameyang, Lacazette and Martinelli.

It's so annoying because I really think his path to the first team will suddenly open out this summer - we just need that extra 6 months to be able to clear a path for him, but unfortunately that's just what we don't have. What can you do though? At 19, he's already got a reputation for running down his contracts to strengthen his hand, so I don't think this situation is entirely the club's fault - if he's not showing any signs of committing then of course we're going to give the minutes he wants to someone who either has a future here or who we can boost the value of and sell for a profit.

I am invisible
20-01-2021, 10:23 AM

I loved Le-Grove's (https://le-grove.co.uk/2021/01/19/arsenal-stutter-towards-balance/) analogy yesterday...

...Thomas Partey is a fucking dream. I remember working in a factory when I was young. I thought the babes in there were true babes… then I’d head into London town and realise the truth. We’ve been looking at factory babes in midfield. Mo and Xhaka look sexy together when we have injuries, but put them in All Bar One in Fenchurch Street next to Thomas Partey in his Top Shop stilettos and you suddenly realise what you’ve been missing.

I am invisible
20-01-2021, 10:28 AM
Yep, outside of Partey and ESR, our midfield is a complete mess. I'd happily trade any of the others....Xhaka, Ceballos (not our player anyway), Elneny, Willock, Torreira & Guendouzi for new players.

:good:

This has to be the focus this summer. Defence and attack both jump up a level when midfield is doing it's job.

We wouldn't even need to sign a replacement for every one of those guys - I reckon we could probably lose 4 or 5 of them and only need to recruit 2, if the standard is high enough.

Mac76
20-01-2021, 10:33 AM
I loved Le-Grove's (https://le-grove.co.uk/2021/01/19/arsenal-stutter-towards-balance/) analogy yesterday...

Mac76
20-01-2021, 10:36 AM
These things tend to come down to nothing more than being in the right place at the right time sometimes. I remember everyone giving us grief for letting Yaya Toure slip away, but the reality was he had the Invincibles' midfield in front of him at the time, so who would you have dropped to give him minutes?

With Saka and ESR, the stars have almost lined up perfectly for them, and they've hit first team readiness just as we've found ourself really short on quality in their areas. For Balogun the route into the side looks tougher - he's up against the likes of Aubameyang, Lacazette and Martinelli.

It's so annoying because I really think his path to the first team will suddenly open out this summer - we just need that extra 6 months to be able to clear a path for him, but unfortunately that's just what we don't have. What can you do though? HAt 19, he's already got a reputation for running down his contracts to strengthen his hand, so I don't think this situation is entirely the club's fault - if he's not showing any signs of committing then of course we're going to give the minutes he wants to someone who either has a future here or who we can boost the value of and sell for a profit.

yes, some good points there, for me I'd try to fast-track Balogun into the side where I could, to convince him to stay - after all we did it with Saka last season up to the point he signed - but sure, given both Laca and now Auba have remembered where the net is, plus with Martinelli returning, it's not easy - a big pity though

I am invisible
20-01-2021, 11:04 AM
yes, some good points there, for me I'd try to fast-track Balogun into the side where I could, to convince him to stay - after all we did it with Saka last season up to the point he signed - but sure, given both Laca and now Auba have remembered where the net is, plus with Martinelli returning, it's not easy - a big pity though

I honestly don't know how I'd play this one? Selling Nketiah in this window would be ideal, but I can't see us doing that unless Balogun commits first. Which he probably won't do unless we clear a path for him first! Mexican stand-off.

Mac76
20-01-2021, 11:09 AM
I honestly don't know how I'd play this one? Selling Nketiah in this window would be ideal, but I can't see us doing that unless Balogun commits first. Which he probably won't do unless we clear a path for him first! Mexican stand-off.

Nketiah's such trash I'd sell him regardless - we've got Auba, Laca, Martinelli and if we had to we could even put Saka or Pepe up front and they'd do a much better job than Eddie

I am invisible
20-01-2021, 11:31 AM
Nketiah's such trash I'd sell him regardless - we've got Auba, Laca, Martinelli and if we had to we could even put Saka or Pepe up front and they'd do a much better job than Eddie

Yeah, I guess it doesn't make much difference at this point - if we're planning on selling Nketiah anyway, and if Balogun's going to leave anyway, then we might as well sell Eddie now, get 5 months out of the better player, and then spend the Eddie-money in the summer?

Gooner23
20-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Apparently we have agreed to terminate Sokratis' contract. At least we are clearing the decks finally.

Gooner23
20-01-2021, 12:43 PM
Got to think at least one of Chambers or Mustafi will go as well. We don't need 6 centre backs and neither of these guys will have much of a role to play for the remainder of the season.

GP
20-01-2021, 01:04 PM
Apparently we have agreed to terminate Sokratis' contract. At least we are clearing the decks finally.

Confirmed.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/thank-you-papa

Mac76
20-01-2021, 02:05 PM
Confirmed.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/thank-you-papa

good move, but tbf he was good for a while, quite liked his character, one of the few we had with backbone for a while

best of luck to him :clap:

GP
20-01-2021, 02:08 PM
Yeah I liked him. Good character. He was a really good defender, to be fair, but he can't play with the ball at his feet and that is a deal breaker in the modern game.

Marc Overmars
20-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Bye. :wave:

Xhaka Can’t
20-01-2021, 02:25 PM
.addition by subtraction

I am invisible
20-01-2021, 08:31 PM
Trying to get Ødegaard on loan, apparently (although Sociedad are front runners to take him again)...

https://arseblog.news/2021/01/report-arsenal-linked-with-odegaard-loan-approach/

Mac76
21-01-2021, 09:46 AM
:pray:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/lazio-want-arsenals-shkodran-mustafi_431391.html

selassie
21-01-2021, 11:40 AM
Trying to get Ødegaard on loan, apparently (although Sociedad are front runners to take him again)...

https://arseblog.news/2021/01/report-arsenal-linked-with-odegaard-loan-approach/

Unless there is an option to buy then I don't see any point in this.

We are already stuck with another of there surplus players in Ceballos until the end of the season.

IBK
21-01-2021, 12:35 PM

Bit of a different situation TBF. Balogun has shone on the few occasions that we have seen him, and Nketiah has been average, but if we look at history, plenty of youth players have looked like the real deal but not turned out that way, and there's no guarantee that Balogun would be another Martinelli in the first team. We only have to look at Reiss Nelson and Joe Willock to see promising players not quite peforming when given the opportunity. Nketiah has not been total shit and is integrated into the first team. Arteta seems to have found an effective blend of forward players at the moment, and there's a danger in trying to make too many first team changes.

I would like to see Balogun get more minutes, but realistically his opportunities were always going to be in the cup comps. He could have played a bit more, but if he decides to leave, I'm not sure that we should have banked the house on him in all the circumstances, or could realistically done a great deal more to convince him to stay.

I am no cheerleader for how we have been approaching contracts in recent years - and if nothing else, the past few weeks have shown us that it is the young players who should be our focus both in the short and longer term, but the Balogun situations falls more into the 'benefit of hindsight' category than the 'mess up' one.

I am invisible
21-01-2021, 01:25 PM
Unless there is an option to buy then I don't see any point in this.

We are already stuck with another of there surplus players in Ceballos until the end of the season.
Cheeky swap deal for Ceballos? They won’t know.

Mac76
21-01-2021, 01:53 PM
Bit of a different situation TBF. Balogun has shone on the few occasions that we have seen him, and Nketiah has been average, but if we look at history, plenty of youth players have looked like the real deal but not turned out that way, and there's no guarantee that Balogun would be another Martinelli in the first team. We only have to look at Reiss Nelson and Joe Willock to see promising players not quite peforming when given the opportunity. Nketiah has not been total shit and is integrated into the first team. Arteta seems to have found an effective blend of forward players at the moment, and there's a danger in trying to make too many first team changes.

I would like to see Balogun get more minutes, but realistically his opportunities were always going to be in the cup comps. He could have played a bit more, but if he decides to leave, I'm not sure that we should have banked the house on him in all the circumstances, or could realistically done a great deal more to convince him to stay.

I am no cheerleader for how we have been approaching contracts in recent years - and if nothing else, the past few weeks have shown us that it is the young players who should be our focus both in the short and longer term, but the Balogun situations falls more into the 'benefit of hindsight' category than the 'mess up' one.

maybe but i'd disagree on Eddie - and i speak as someone who was at the "Eddie, Eddie..." cup game when he came on and scored two against Norwich - I think he's really poor and not at all up to this level

Balogun should have been given he opportunities Eddie's had this season for sure

IBK
21-01-2021, 01:59 PM
maybe but i'd disagree on Eddie - and i speak as someone who was at the "Eddie, Eddie..." cup game when he came on and scored two against Norwich - I think he's really poor and not at all up to this level

Balogun should have been given he opportunities Eddie's had this season for sure

Yeah - I agree that Eddie is not what we need or should be aiming for. My comments were more directed re we should have done in the past rather than more recently, when I agree that Balogun should have been tried instead. But it may be too late now...

selassie
21-01-2021, 04:51 PM
Cheeky swap deal for Ceballos? They won’t know.

All joking aside Odegaard is a great young player, he was playing at a very high level for Real Sociedad on loan last season, one of the best playmakers in La Liga. I am genuinely surprised he hasn't got more game time for Real Madrid.

I would be all for this if there was an option to buy, he has massive potential.

I am invisible
21-01-2021, 05:47 PM

All joking aside Odegaard is a great young player, he was playing at a very high level for Real Sociedad on loan last season, one of the best playmakers in La Liga. I am genuinely surprised he hasn't got more game time for Real Madrid.
or whoever he has
I would be all for this if there was an option to buy, he has massive potential.

At the very least it's encouraging that we seem to be looking for 'profiles' that fit, instead of just tapping up Kia for whoever the fuck he has lying around.

Gooner23
22-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Mat Ryan signed on loan until end of season.

Good move, experienced back up.

Mac76
22-01-2021, 11:07 AM
Mat Ryan signed on loan until end of season.

Good move, experienced back up.

sounds like a good upgrade on Runarsson

Mac76
22-01-2021, 11:07 AM
At the very least it's encouraging that we seem to be looking for 'profiles' that fit, instead of just tapping up Kia for whoever the fuck he has lying around.

Gooner23
22-01-2021, 11:11 AM
sounds like a good upgrade on Runarsson

I think they realised we'd be in big trouble if Leno gets injured. This buys us time to assess options in the summer. If he does well it shouldn't be too hard to make it permanent.

Marc Overmars
22-01-2021, 11:25 AM
Signing some bum from Brighton as emergency cover.

Runarsson. :lol:
That’s got to hurt.

Mac76
22-01-2021, 12:02 PM
Signing some bum from Brighton as emergency cover.

Runarsson. :lol:
That’s got to hurt.

i think Australia's national keeper who won keeper of the tournament in the Asia Cup is maybe a little bit more than a 'bum', plus he's a gooner, but sure...

Runarsson :pal:

Gooner23
22-01-2021, 12:18 PM
Arteta says Chambers isn't going out on loan this window. Surely surely that means Mustafi's time is up?! We don't need 6 centre backs.

Mac76
22-01-2021, 12:20 PM
Arteta says Chambers isn't going out on loan this window. Surely surely that means Mustafi's time is up?! We don't need 6 centre backs.

I'd contest the idea that Chambers is just a CB though - he did a decent job at RB under Emery and also playing at DM - i'd sooner have him there than Xhaka any day of the week

I am invisible
22-01-2021, 01:26 PM
i think Australia's national keeper who won keeper of the tournament in the Asia Cup is maybe a little bit more than a 'bum', plus he's a gooner, but sure...

Runarsson :pal:
https://shewore.com/2021/01/22/mat-ryan-replaces-sead-kolasinac-as-arsenal-still-face-non-home-grown-conundrum/

Kolasinac :pal:

Gooner23
24-01-2021, 03:00 PM
Ozil completes permanent transfer to Fener.

Odegaard expected to sign for us tomorrow.

McNamara That Ghost...
24-01-2021, 05:09 PM
Norwegian Messi. :bow:

The Ukrainian Messi got away from us but this one is our, temporarily.

Mac76
25-01-2021, 09:54 AM
The good news - Willian's gone to Wolves :)

The bad news - a different Willian... :(

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/wolves/transfer-talk/news/willian-jose-joins-wolves-on-loan-from-real-sociedad_431790.html

Letters
25-01-2021, 10:46 AM
You tease :sulk:

I am invisible
25-01-2021, 11:19 AM
That's not funny, Mac - some things you just don't joke about.

Mac76
25-01-2021, 12:30 PM

Mac76
26-01-2021, 09:41 AM
:pray: :pray: :pray:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/mustafi-in-talks-over-ending-arsenal-contract_432128.html

I am invisible
26-01-2021, 10:04 AM
If Edu pulls all of this off in one window we may be talking about a statue?

I am invisible
26-01-2021, 10:11 AM
Is Ødegaard done yet? Need to keep pushing Willian further and further down the pecking order...

Mac76
26-01-2021, 10:16 AM
If Edu pulls all of this off in one window we may be talking about a statue?

the statue will be for when he gets rid of Willian in the summer

Gooner23
26-01-2021, 10:46 AM
Is there any hope we were able to put some sort of clause in Willian's contract to allow us to part ways early?

Good news on Mustafi, sounds like the player is pushing to leave which should make it easier to do a deal.

I am invisible
26-01-2021, 01:09 PM
https://www.football365.com/news/mustafi-will-leave-arsenal-in-the-summer-says-agent

Thanks for nothing, Edu - just for that, no statue! :sulk:

Chippy
26-01-2021, 02:19 PM
Is Ødegaard done yet? Need to keep pushing Willian further and further down the pecking order...

This is the biggest meh signing since we signed Kim Kallstrom with a broken back.

He is currently injured and only here for a few months :thumbsdown:

Globalgunner
26-01-2021, 02:39 PM
Is there any hope we were able to put some sort of clause in Willian's contract to allow us to part ways early?

Good news on Mustafi, sounds like the player is pushing to leave which should make it easier to do a deal.

Merts, Mustafi, Ozil....all duff buys from Germany. Does Deutschland still deserve its reputation for quality products?

IBK
26-01-2021, 02:57 PM
https://www.football365.com/news/mustafi-will-leave-arsenal-in-the-summer-says-agent

:lol: What is is with these players for whom money is more important than playing time.

Mac76
26-01-2021, 04:10 PM

he's finally going, that's enough for me - i absolutely f*****g hate that guy, for plenty of things but in particular that time he let Zaha have the freedom of the Emirates will be burned on my memory for ever

can we also get rid of Xhaka please and then there be no-one i hate left at Arsenal :)

Gooner23
26-01-2021, 04:18 PM
he's finally going, that's enough for me - i absolutely f*****g hate that guy, for plenty of things but in particular that time he let Zaha have the freedom of the Emirates will be burned on my memory for ever

can we also get rid of Xhaka please and then there be no-one i hate left at Arsenal :)

It's the look he gives his team mates whenever he drops a howler, as if it's not in any way his fault. Can't stand the player and can't wait for him to bugger off.

GP
26-01-2021, 04:27 PM
So apparently Diego Costa is a free agent...

Globalgunner
26-01-2021, 08:45 PM
So apparently Diego Costa is a free agent...

Dana White should sign him up then

Letters
27-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Odegaard done.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ct wgr%5Eauthor

Mac76
28-01-2021, 10:04 AM
apparenatly we're after Eric Garcia

with Mustafi, Luiz and Sokratis gone by summer that means if we got him we'd have four decent CBs in Mari, Holding, Gabriel and Garcia. Could be curtains for Chambers though as Arteta's not really tried him in midfield so maybe he doesn;t see a use for him

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-to-battle-barcelona-for-eric-garcia_432367.html

Gooner23
28-01-2021, 11:00 AM
I thought he was supposed to be Barca bound.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Saliba next season. In theory he should be coming back and challenging Holding for the right CB role.

Mac76
28-01-2021, 11:23 AM

Will be interesting to see what happens to Saliba next season. In theory he should be coming back and challenging Holding for the right CB role.

yes i was forgetting Saliba - though it's easliy done isn't it when the clubs's constantly sidelining him...

IBK
28-01-2021, 11:45 AM
yes i was forgetting Saliba - though it's easliy done isn't it when the clubs's constantly sidelining him...

How is he doing in France on loan?

Mac76
28-01-2021, 12:09 PM
How is he doing in France on loan?

pretty well individually although Nice are struggling - interesting though that they've played him in every match while we keep saying he's 'not ready'...

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/william-saliba-nice-loan-arsenal-defender-ligue-1-highlights-836792

IBK
28-01-2021, 12:16 PM
pretty well individually although Nice are struggling - interesting though that they've played him in every match while we keep saying he's 'not ready'...

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/william-saliba-nice-loan-arsenal-defender-ligue-1-highlights-836792

Thanks for that - really interesting!

Ironic that the player says: “The coach immediately told me that I was not ready. I would have at least liked to have a chance to rediscover my rhythm.”

When the likes of Willian have been given far more lassitude by Arteta. I wonder whether the fact that it's the youngsters who are saving our season will force the manager to look differently at Saliba. He seems like a good kid.

I am invisible
28-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Thanks for that - really interesting!

Ironic that the player says: “The coach immediately told me that I was not ready. I would have at least liked to have a chance to rediscover my rhythm.”

When the likes of Willian have been given far more lassitude by Arteta. I wonder whether the fact that it's the youngsters who are saving our season will force the manager to look differently at Saliba. He seems like a good kid.
I have a feeling Willian has been given more lassitude because Arteta and Edu own that one - they brought him to the club, and it’s now directly on Arteta to justify the signing and extract value from it. He’s been noticeably more ruthless with any player who wasn’t his signing when they haven’t measured up.

Thankfully his patience with Willian hasn’t been limitless - it’s gone on longer than it should have, but he’s now been relegated to cup games that we deem unimportant, and hopefully Ødegaard will bury him even further down the pecking order.

Also worth noting that just because he was wrong about Willian, doesn’t necessarily mean he wasn’t right about Saliba - a loan and regular first team football is clearly going to be better for his development at this age than sitting on the bench behind Holding and Luiz for the year. The big mistake there was not getting it arranged in the summer.

I am invisible
28-01-2021, 01:22 PM

He is - he’s even offered to play for them for free until the end of the season to help get the move done.

Mac76
28-01-2021, 01:42 PM
I have a feeling Willian has been given more lassitude because Arteta and Edu own that one - they brought him to the club, and it’s now directly on Arteta to justify the signing and extract value from it. He’s been noticeably more ruthless with any player who wasn’t his signing when they haven’t measured up.

Thankfully his patience with Willian hasn’t been limitless - it’s gone on longer than it should have, but he’s now been relegated to cup games that we deem unimportant, and hopefully Ødegaard will bury him even further down the pecking order.

Also worth noting that just because he was wrong about Willian, doesn’t necessarily mean he wasn’t right about Saliba - a loan and regular first team football is clearly going to be better for his development at this age than sitting on the bench behind Holding and Luiz for the year. The big mistake there was not getting it arranged in the summer.

i think you guys mean 'latitude'

'lassitude' means 'a state of weariness' or 'lazy indifference'- although i guess that sums Willian up quite nicely :lol:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/lassitude

I am invisible
28-01-2021, 02:43 PM
i think you guys mean 'latitude'

'lassitude' means 'a state of weariness' or 'lazy indifference'- although i guess that sums Willian up quite nicely :lol:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/lassitude

God damn it, you're right! That's what I get for skim-reading.

'Latrine' also sums William up nicely.

Mac76
29-01-2021, 02:01 PM
interesting comments, i get the impression Arteta would be quite happy for all these guys to go

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-torreira-mustafi-and-transfers

Marc Overmars
29-01-2021, 02:07 PM
He’d probably gut half of the squad if he could. As would the fans too.

Mac76
29-01-2021, 11:04 PM
He’d probably gut half of the squad if he could. As would the fans too.

Literally :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
30-01-2021, 12:11 PM
There can't seriously be rumours of Liverpool signing Mustafi, can there?

:haha:

dazthegooner
30-01-2021, 12:38 PM

McNamara That Ghost...
30-01-2021, 12:40 PM
We're not that lucky, unfortunately.

Gooner23
30-01-2021, 12:47 PM
Mustafi is an excellent world cup winning centre back and Liverpool would be very lucky to have him.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-01-2021, 12:58 PM
Quick, make one of these for Mustafi

https://i.imgur.com/WTwB5PF.png

McNamara That Ghost...
31-01-2021, 12:32 PM
I find it hard to believe anything 'genuinely' when Talksport is involved.

https://talksport.com/football/826378/arsenal-shkodran-mustafi-premier-league-transfer-news-liverpool/

However it involves Mustafi going so it's definitely happening. :trophy:

Mac76
31-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Mustafi is an excellent world cup winning centre back and Liverpool would be very lucky to have him.

Shaqiri Is Boss
31-01-2021, 01:03 PM
Mustafi is an excellent world cup winning centre back and Liverpool would be very lucky to have him.:gp:

I've always been a fan.

I am invisible
31-01-2021, 01:26 PM
Quick, make one of these for Mustafi

https://i.imgur.com/WTwB5PF.png
Where’s the Adebayor brochure we made?

I am invisible
31-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Aha!

https://arseblog.com/ADE_BROCHURE.pdf

Change a couple of images, do a ‘find and replace’ on the name and we’re golden!

Gooner23
01-02-2021, 07:56 AM
Looks like Liverpool have gone for some championship nobody instead.

But with Odegaard coming in didn't we have to cut someone from the squad anyway. So either way Mustafi won't be playing for us again this season.

McNamara That Ghost...
01-02-2021, 08:07 AM
Preston can sign Mustafi as Davies' replacement. :bow:

Mac76
01-02-2021, 09:38 AM
Looks like Liverpool have gone for some championship nobody instead.

They obviously knew about Mustafi after all...

Mac76
01-02-2021, 11:08 AM
this wouldn't be a bad signing to plug the gaps, provided it was on sensible terms i.e. not 3 years at £200k a week... :rolleyes:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-considering-move-for-patrick-van-aanholt_432922.html

Mac76
01-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Willock to Newcastle on loan almost a done deal apparently

clearly Bruce needs someone to bring on at 70 mins and run around a lot...

Mac76
01-02-2021, 12:55 PM
From Twitter:

"now.arsenal
@now_arsenaI
·
3m
BREAKING: Mustafi to Schalke confirmed. Player is keen to leave and Arsenal happy to accept low fee to move him on. Expected to be completed imminently"

:patrice: :patrice: :patrice: :patrice: :patrice: :patrice: :patrice: :patrice: :patrice: :patrice:

Gooner23
01-02-2021, 01:13 PM
So Mustafi to Schalke and Willock to Newcastle on loan look very likely.

Gooner23
01-02-2021, 01:16 PM
Apparently Southampton have pulled out of move for AMN. Leicester are keen but not sure we should be strengthening a potential rival

Mac76
01-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Apparently Southampton have pulled out of move for AMN. Leicester are keen but not sure we should be strengthening a potential rival

sounds like they pulled out because AMN wasn't that keen which presumably means he thinks Leicester is likely

Gooner23
01-02-2021, 02:10 PM
Latest from Ornstein is that we won't send AMN to a rival (Leicester), so West Brom is now his only viable option. Apparently he wants to play in midfield which Saints couldn't guarantee so they pulled out.

Nothing on Nelson which I am surprised about as he is nowhere near the match squad at the moment. I guess he is hoping 1 or 2 injuries could open up a chance for him again.

Chippy
01-02-2021, 02:25 PM
Latest from Ornstein is that we won't send AMN to a rival (Leicester), so West Brom is now his only viable option. Apparently he wants to play in midfield which Saints couldn't guarantee so they pulled out.

Nothing on Nelson which I am surprised about as he is nowhere near the match squad at the moment. I guess he is hoping 1 or 2 injuries could open up a chance for him again.

Fair play to Arteta, he is wasting no time in shipping out the dead wood :partytime:

Just AMN, Nelson, Nketiah and Willian to go! :wave:

Gooner23
01-02-2021, 03:16 PM
Arsenal have agreed to terminate Mustafi's contract, he will be joining Schalke. Best transfer window ever :lol: