PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v West Brom (away)

McNamara That Ghost...
02-01-2021, 09:52 PM
Saka, ESR and Tierney were brilliant.

Lacazette did good work too obviously.

We're 11th. :faint:

Marc Overmars
02-01-2021, 09:56 PM
So much better than we’ve been for months. Plenty of energy, passing, ideas and just generally looking like a capable team.

West Brom were god awful and made it easy for us but we turned up and did it in style.

Keep it going lads.

Letters
02-01-2021, 09:57 PM
Only saw the last ~25 minutes but West Brom have to be one of the worst PL sides I’ve seen us play in a long time.

Good confidence building win though.

dazthegooner
02-01-2021, 10:05 PM
Teirney just been talking BT sports the rest of team are telling him his goal was a cross lol

Mac76
02-01-2021, 10:06 PM
Teirney just been talking BT sports the rest of team are telling him his goal was a cross lol

:haha:

Marc Overmars
02-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Got to hope Arteta surely now realises that relying on his “experienced” players was a fallacy. Using players who have something to prove and are fighting to build their careers may have just saved his job.

Gooner23
02-01-2021, 10:08 PM
That was great to watch.

Saka is just getting better and better. Added bonus of him switching to the right is it now keeps out the bums.

Smith Rowe has grabbed his opportunity and should now keep his spot in the team.

Tierney is just class.

Mac76
02-01-2021, 10:13 PM
Got to hope Arteta surely now realises that relying on his “experienced” players was a fallacy. Using players who have something to prove and are fighting to build their careers may have just saved his job.

I'd like to think he gets it but we'll see what he does for the next league game - btw while they were far from perfect i thought Auba and Willian were reacting to the competition and at least trying to put some effort in, and hopefully that might increase our ability to offload them in the summer

Mac76
02-01-2021, 10:13 PM
That was great to watch.

Saka is just getting better and better. Added bonus of him switching to the right is it now keeps out the bums.

Smith Rowe has grabbed his opportunity and should now keep his spot in the team.

Tierney is just class.

definitely, also Holding and Mari are pretty good in defence too

Gooner23
02-01-2021, 10:19 PM

It's nice to have a bit of calmness back there, not missing side show bob one bit. Gabriel will come back in but Mari looks capable.

GP
02-01-2021, 10:31 PM
Sam Allardyce has now lost to Arsenal as manager of eight different clubs: Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, Everton and West Brom.

selassie
02-01-2021, 10:35 PM
That first half an hour or so was the best i've seen from us in a few years TBH. Some of the passing and moving was vintage Arsenal "Wenger era".

I know it's one step at a time but i'm geniunely really exicted to watch the development of both Saka and Smith-Rowe, Martinelli too. These three guys are absolute gems and Arteta needs to build this new team around them.

P.S. Saka is our BEST player, been saying it all season. This is his team.

I am invisible
02-01-2021, 10:36 PM
How long before we can add Partey to this?

McNamara That Ghost...
02-01-2021, 10:39 PM

Next league game I'd have thought. That's not until a week on Thursday.

selassie
02-01-2021, 10:39 PM

I'd put him alongside Xhaka who I think is playing very well at the moment. Ceballos was decent today to be fair, but Xhaka and Partey get my vote at the moment.

I am invisible
02-01-2021, 10:48 PM
Mari’s really adding that air of calm at the back that I think we lost with Emi - I’d be really tempted to leave the defence as it is atm.

selassie
02-01-2021, 10:59 PM
Mari’s really adding that air of calm at the back that I think we lost with Emi - I’d be really tempted to leave the defence as it is atm.

Aye, both of them look really solid at the moment. Though I do think we need Gabriel's injection of pace back in the team. I think Holding & Gabriel should be the first choice pairing until the end of the season. Gabriel has been very good this season despite our shocking form, Holding hasn't been too bad either TBF.

Xhaka Can’t
02-01-2021, 11:13 PM
I wish NQ was alive to see this.

GP
02-01-2021, 11:16 PM
Not me

I am invisible
02-01-2021, 11:19 PM
I'd put him alongside Xhaka who I think is playing very well at the moment. Ceballos was decent today to be fair, but Xhaka and Partey get my vote at the moment.
Yeah, that’s fair - he’s playing well enough right now, and no one else has really staked a better claim. Having fast-thinking, fast-moving players around him seems to have made a real difference to Xhaka’s game, and I can’t imagine having a powerful, athletic midfield partner will do him any harm either...

I am invisible
02-01-2021, 11:28 PM
Next league game I'd have thought. That's not until a week on Thursday.
Wow! The fixture list is actually working for us for once. Managed to get Martinelli and ESR through an intensive comeback schedule too without breaking them.

Mac76
02-01-2021, 11:32 PM

Partey and Elneny worked better i thought and anyway Xhaka got away with one or two things today which a better team might have punished us for

I am invisible
02-01-2021, 11:55 PM
Partey and Elneny worked better i thought and anyway Xhaka got away with one or two things today which a better team might have punished us for
At the very least it might mean that Xhaka doesn’t just get a start by default? Without Partey I think Xhaka gets picked because no one else has any real leadership creds in the middle, but with him he’s going to have to offer more than just yelling and pointing to keep his spot.

Ollie the Optimist
03-01-2021, 12:55 PM
At what temperature do you reckon Tienery will wear long sleeves?

Bumble
03-01-2021, 01:46 PM
we played well, WBA were utter rubbish but it was actually nice that we were able to put the rubbish out for once. Arteta has stumbled on a team that works, although we will have more challenging matches ahead. a nice little run, a nice fixture list over christmas for once. so we can build up confidence and when do have to chase the game at some point down the line. there will be the belief we can do it.

we have a nice little nucleus of a youthful side. we need another CM to play alongside Partey as AMN doesnt seem to be the option there. then we need to build depth in the squad that could be tricky, as the youngsters are doing the business so although they cant play every week you want to build the team around them. so options to bring in senior players would have an expectation to play.

anyway arteta has survived the season now and he probably get the summer and depends how we start next season.

Bumble
03-01-2021, 01:47 PM

only if he gets locked up with the pfizer/biotech vaccine.

I am invisible
03-01-2021, 02:11 PM
4ft of snow.