PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Palace (home).

McNamara That Ghost...
14-01-2021, 09:52 PM
Seriously bad stuff.

Utter, utter shite.

Letters
14-01-2021, 09:52 PM
Dull.

Niall_Quinn
14-01-2021, 09:53 PM
Oh, so it eventually ended?

The only positive.

Won't make the mistake of watching these thieves again.

LDG
14-01-2021, 09:54 PM
:banghead:

Gooner23
14-01-2021, 09:54 PM
I don't think we're winning the league

RomfordPele
14-01-2021, 09:56 PM
Newcastle team selection killed that momentum stone dead - the same shit tempo carried through into this game.

With Xhaka’s brain farts gifting them at least three decent goal scoring chances I’m grateful for a point.

Xhaka Can’t
14-01-2021, 09:57 PM

We’ll keep fighting.

Niall_Quinn
14-01-2021, 09:57 PM
What if we tried taking away the racist banners we have in all four corner of the mistake stadium we built which destroyed the whole club?

Might get better luck? I mean it has to be better not supporting racist scum before a ball is kicked?

Gooner23
14-01-2021, 09:58 PM
Doesn't help that so many of our players just cannot move the ball forward with any pace.

Smith Rowe and Saka our best players and both were subdued tonight unfortunately.

Xhaka must be infuriating to play with, holds on to the ball for an eternity.

Letters
14-01-2021, 09:58 PM

Not with that attitude :sulk:

Mac76
14-01-2021, 09:59 PM
Newcastle team selection killed that momentum stone dead - the same shit tempo carried through into this game.

well it was more that he played Tierney in that game instead of keeping him back for this one - he's clearly overworked him, but let's hope it's not too serious

Niall_Quinn
14-01-2021, 10:02 PM
The interviews are on rails. Not one single player had the guts to come and and say, sorry folks, we are shit, untalented chancers who are robbing you blind. Instead they stuck to the script. In some ways it doesn't surprise me.

Marc Overmars
14-01-2021, 10:04 PM
All that showed is how massive Tierney has been recently. Without him we just didn’t have anything to consistently pose a threat.

Oh well. A timely reminder that this is not a very good team and anything above 10th will be good going for them.

Gooner23
14-01-2021, 10:05 PM
AMN should have started in the FA Cup with Tierney used as a sub if needed. That was definitely a mistake by Mikel.

Stating the obvious but we really missed Tierney tonight, zero threat down the left without him.

Letters
14-01-2021, 10:05 PM
Clean sheet :bow:

No? Meh.

Niall_Quinn
14-01-2021, 10:06 PM
Interviewing the thief Bellerin now.

He seems to be talking about a football match, even though there's no evidence of one.

He hasn't said he's innocent of blatant and excessive theft, but his whole demeanour suggests he's trying to pose as a footballer and expects people to simply accept it.

Mac76
14-01-2021, 10:18 PM
Clean sheet :bow:

No? Meh.

four game unbeaten run :bow:

no...? :getcoat:

Letters
14-01-2021, 10:23 PM
four game unbeaten run :bow:

no...? :getcoat:

I mean, you’re not going to win every game.
I only saw the second half tonight and it wasn’t good. We seemed to basically be bossing it but like too often didn’t really create chances. Seem to be reverting to type after our Christmas bump.

Marc Overmars
14-01-2021, 10:26 PM
Time for Auba to be dropped really. What a nothing player he is now, if he didn’t have the armband there’s no way he would be stealing this pitch time.

Letters
14-01-2021, 10:32 PM
Time for Auba to be dropped really. What a nothing player he is now, if he didn’t have the armband there’s no way he would be stealing this pitch time.

Completely baffled what’s happened to him.
Obviously he’s not getting much service but still, not the player we’ve seen over the last couple of seasons.

Niall_Quinn
14-01-2021, 10:43 PM
Not one penny of my money (and I checked and double checked) went into paying 77 million for Pepe. I'm completely innocent.

Mac76
15-01-2021, 09:30 AM
Completely baffled what’s happened to him.
Obviously he’s not getting much service but still, not the player we’ve seen over the last couple of seasons.

I'd honestly sell him in the summer while he's still appealing to some big club as a player maybe with a season or two left in him

i think that game shows that for us to be at our best we need one specific starting eleven which includes Tierney, Saka, ESR, etc

some people had real shockers - AMN; Eddie as usual (what a terrible player); we didn't look as solid with Luiz in place of Mari/Gabriel, also despite some good tackles Xhaka gives the ball away and gives fouls away too many times to cut it at this level

btw I don't quite get the Ceballos hate, i thought he was one of our better players and while he can make mistakes he does generally try to be positive and make something happen

apart from him we really weren't trying to create much movement and ESR and Saka were closed down pretty effectively by Palace

also maybe both players have run through that initial adrenaline of playing regularly together and it's all catching up with them

overall I'm not too worried at one slow performance after what we've seen the last few weeks and Palace are an experienced side - as i said in the match thread at least we didn't give away a stupid pel to Zaha like we would have in the past

but Arteta does need to learn to anticipate when players need a rest - he knackered Partey previously by playing him not fully fit and now he's worn out Tierney - i was really surprised when he played Tierney in the FAC and it was clearly a mistake

IBK
15-01-2021, 11:54 AM
I'd honestly sell him in the summer while he's still appealing to some big club as a player maybe with a season or two left in him

i think that game shows that for us to be at our best we need one specific starting eleven which includes Tierney, Saka, ESR, etc

some people had real shockers - AMN; Eddie as usual (what a terrible player); we didn't look as solid with Luiz in place of Mari/Gabriel, also despite some good tackles Xhaka gives the ball away and gives fouls away too many times to cut it at this level

btw I don't quite get the Ceballos hate, i thought he was one of our better players and while he can make mistakes he does generally try to be positive and make something happen

apart from him we really weren't trying to create much movement and ESR and Saka were closed down pretty effectively by Palace

also maybe both players have run through that initial adrenaline of playing regularly together and it's all catching up with them

overall I'm not too worried at one slow performance after what we've seen the last few weeks and Palace are an experienced side - as i said in the match thread at least we didn't give away a stupid pel to Zaha like we would have in the past

but Arteta does need to learn to anticipate when players need a rest - he knackered Partey previously by playing him not fully fit and now he's worn out Tierney - i was really surprised when he played Tierney in the FAC and it was clearly a mistake

Most sensible post on this thread.

Crystal Palace know how to set up against so-called 'big teams'. They have beaten Manure and drawn with Spurs and Leicester this season.

If it wasn't for the shit show before Xmas noone would be reading that much into last night's game. I think after our recent upturn in performances and results this was a reality check, and it is not that surprising that we are dependent upon a specific first team to get results, and that the squad performance/level hasn't transformed overall.

Fatigue is an issue for sure, as is the failure of senior players to step up. But we have Partey coming back and Martinelli would potentially have made a difference last night. We need to buy a back up left back.

I think the Xhaka criticism is unfair for last night's performance. He is hardly a favourite, but he was not shit.

Not going to throw my toys out of the pram again just yet.

IBK
15-01-2021, 11:59 AM
PS if Tierney's crocked, Saka left wing back and AMN right wing? AMN stunk the place up last night but is better on the tight and I feel it is a bit harsh to judge him when not playing regularly and continually shifted around...

WMUG
15-01-2021, 12:44 PM
Tierney's not crocked, just tired.

Globalgunner
15-01-2021, 12:55 PM
In most title chasing teams. the 1st 11 consist of 9/10 players and their back up is at least a 7/10.

We are blessed with only 3 players that are 9/10. Most of our starting 11 are 7/10 players and the alternatives are 5/10 at best. This team and this manager are winning zilch without major changes.

I dont think we have any real basis to complain about Leno any more. He is as good as all but 2 keepers in the league right now

Mac76
15-01-2021, 04:13 PM
In most title chasing teams. the 1st 11 consist of 9/10 players and their back up is at least a 7/10.

We are blessed with only 3 players that are 9/10. Most of our starting 11 are 7/10 players and the alternatives are 5/10 at best. This team and this manager are winning zilch without major changes.

I dont think we have any real basis to complain about Leno any more. He is as good as all but 2 keepers in the league right now

all true and especially about Leno, his distribution is much better now and as a result (plus having better defenders) we look much more solid playing out from the back now, which he clearly couldn't do when we first started playing him

hobson's choice
15-01-2021, 08:35 PM
I didn't expect a win at all in this game. Against a Roy team, unless you are miles ahead off em talent wise, you not winning.

Against a team like Palace, this was a training session for them defensively. We only have one way off playing.

We need a striker, a Drogba type striker. This summer we have to invest one. We need a ball carrying midfielder that can drive through a defense.

Slacker
15-01-2021, 09:03 PM
Agree with pretty much everything people are saying. Have to be honest I didn't watch it but expected nothing better than a draw. Still don't understand why Luiz is back in the team in front of players who are lighting up the place. Don't wish to labour the point but it wasn't difficult to pick a better team, and Arteta just seems to revert to proven losers.

Slacker
15-01-2021, 09:09 PM
To add to the above, I am convinced Arteta genuinely believes Luiz is a first 11 pick. Secondly, Saliba is back playing in France and getting man of the match reviews already.

Globalgunner
16-01-2021, 06:50 AM
Arteta`s situation assessment skills are up there with Neville Chamberlains

Letters
16-01-2021, 09:07 AM
:haha:

I am invisible
16-01-2021, 04:38 PM

:gp:

Even with our “best” XI out there, you’d probably still be looking to upgrade 4 or 5 of the players. That means we’re relying on 6 or 7 key players most weeks - of those 3 of them are kids and 2 are new signings! If any of those guys is absent or has an off day then we’re going to struggle. And while we have so few options it’s going to be very easy for opponents to scout us and work us out (Palace have already sussed that if you stop us getting the ball to ESR then we can’t get the ball out from the back - that took 5 games).

At this point I don’t have any expectations for this season - I’m literally just keeping an eye out for those rare moments when our best players are all in the side at the same time to see if I can get a hint about where we might be heading. I’ll be keeping an eye out for little combinations and partnerships that look promising. I’m not expecting sustained, dominant performances - I don’t think we have the depth of quality or the variety of player that we need for that yet, and I think too many of the senior players are disinterested and impossible to motivate.

Re: Ceballos, it’s just hard to get excited about anything he does. He’s clearly got no intention of staying here, so it feels like his minutes should be going to someone with an Arsenal future (or, at the very least, someone who can make us money), and, let’s be honest, we’ve seen these good performances from him before - they never last more than a game. Chuck in the couple of fights he’s started and he just seems like he’s more trouble than he’s worth.