PDA

View Full Version : Martin Odegaard

WGC Goon
22-01-2021, 08:51 AM
Reports suggest that we may be getting Real Madrid's Martin Odegaard on loan for the rest of the season. After watching his YouTube highlights he looks quite skilful and his playing style reminds of Robin Van Persie, does anyone think he could make an impact in the games we have left?

GP
22-01-2021, 09:14 AM
I can honestly say, having never seen him play, this is the guy we need.

Letters
22-01-2021, 09:18 AM
I have also never seen him play and am a bit suspicious of YouTube compilations.
So agreed, let's get him :cool:

WGC Goon
22-01-2021, 09:25 AM
I can honestly say, having never seen him play, this is the guy we need.

Someone posted on Twitter that he was our midfield's missing link so I don't know if it was football related or something to do man's evolution :)

Marc Overmars
22-01-2021, 09:32 AM
He’s no Dennis Suarez.

Mac76
22-01-2021, 10:00 AM
He’s no Dennis Suarez.

that's all I need to hear - go for it Arsenal

Gooner23
22-01-2021, 10:18 AM
He’s no Dennis Suarez.

He's also no Christian Eriksen, for which I am quite pleased.

Gooner23
22-01-2021, 10:20 AM
Ornstein reckons it's 90% done

Letters
22-01-2021, 10:23 AM
Ornstein reckons it's 90% done

What's that in real numbers?

I am invisible
22-01-2021, 12:20 PM
Also don't really know much about him, other than he's another one of Madrid's 'next big things' who they bought and then lost interest in 2 seconds later.

Ticks a lot of boxes though - young, creative, attacking midfielder who prefers to play down the right or through the middle. Could provide decent competition and cover for both ESR and Saka, if he's half the player he's meant to be.

Any word on options to buy?

Gooner23
22-01-2021, 12:34 PM
No option to buy apparently. But only has 1 year on his contract with Real come the summer so if he does well I'm sure there's room for negotiation.

I am invisible
22-01-2021, 12:39 PM
No option to buy apparently. But only has 1 year on his contract with Real come the summer so if he does well I'm sure there's room for negotiation.

And they want to fund a move fro Mbappe, apparently.

GP
22-01-2021, 01:11 PM
From M 1Ö to M 1Ø.

Bumble
22-01-2021, 01:38 PM
6 years ago he was a wonderkid. now he will be one of the attacking senior pros

Chippy
22-01-2021, 03:21 PM
Reports suggest that we may be getting Real Madrid's Martin Odegaard on loan for the rest of the season. After watching his YouTube highlights he looks quite skilful and his playing style reminds of Robin Van Persie, does anyone think he could make an impact in the games we have left?

Another loan signing? Probably no option to buy? Pointless in my opinion.

I just feel that another loan signing will stop another ESR coming through. In addition, why don't we just bring back Guendouzi and nurture him.

Just my opinion :getcoat:

Mac76
22-01-2021, 04:29 PM
Another loan signing? Probably no option to buy? Pointless in my opinion.

I just feel that another loan signing will stop another ESR coming through. In addition, why don't we just bring back Guendouzi and nurture him.

Just my opinion :getcoat:

i'm with you on ESR, i get we need an alternate for him as he can't play every match, but i'd hope any new guy didn't start getting opportunities ahead of ESR or we'll be looking at another Balogun scenario (albeit i don't know ESR's contract situation...)

oh, and Arteta's decided he doesn't like Guendouzi so that's it, the door is shut :sulk:

I am invisible
22-01-2021, 04:55 PM
Disagree - I think this move makes a lot of sense.

ESR, Saka and Ødegaard could potentially all play together in that 3 behind the striker, but I’d probably be looking at more of a ‘2-games-on, 1-game-off’ rota to keep them all happy (and fresh), e.g. game #1 ESR-Saka > #2 Ødegaard-Saka > #3 ESR-Ødegaard > then back to ESR-Saka? (Or, you know, we could just see who’s in form and keep playing them.)

The fact is injury, suspension or COVID could rob us of any one of them at any moment so we really do need to beef up our creative options - we’ve all seen what happens as soon as we rest ESR or Saka and it’s not pretty.

(And don’t forget we also need cover for Tierney, so this would free Saka up for that in a pinch.)

I’m not even that fussed about the option to buy really - the most important thing right now is getting through the rest of this season. If he does well then we’ll look into it in the summer - if we can’t get him then we’ll just sink the money into someone else.

And if he’s no good then who cares? Nothing lost.

No idea what the future holds for Guen, but he’s not a creative midfielder so he’s irrelevant to this.

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 03:38 PM
Seriously, we need to get this loan over line, fast (or find someone very similar)! Without ESR in the side we are painfully disjointed...

Gooner23
23-01-2021, 03:43 PM
Seriously, we need to get this loan over line, fast (or find someone very similar)! Without ESR in the side we are painfully disjointed...

I gather he can play on the right as well as centrally so it really would push Willian and Pepe further down the pecking order.

I know Arteta has to play a straight bat in the pressers, but surely today must have been the final chance for the bums, with only league and knock out Europa games to play now.

Mac76
23-01-2021, 04:11 PM
The Saints game commentator seemed to think we were optimistic about Odegaard

Marc Overmars
23-01-2021, 04:12 PM
I was indifferent to this deal but after today proving once and for all certain players will just never come good for us, I hope we get this done. We need options and right now there’s fuck all outside the best 11.

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 04:24 PM
I gather he can play on the right as well as centrally so it really would push Willian and Pepe further down the pecking order...

He’s always talked about as central playmaker - a modern 8-10 like ESR - but his heat map for Sociedad last season showed him mostly on the right (probably because they played him on the right!). He’s also left-footed so he’s probably versatile enough to play anywhere across that 3 behind the striker, or as part of a 3-man midfield.

Luckily ESR and Saka are just as versatile, so we should be able to work those three into lots of combos. I really don’t see an issue with anyone’s progress being halted.

I know Arteta has to play a straight bat in the pressers, but surely today must have been the final chance for the bums, with only league and knock out Europa games to play now...

Tbh, I don’t really listen to anything that managers say about players in public - as long as a player is still at the club then their manager might need to get a performance out of them at any moment, so what else are they going to say? Keep an eye on contract extensions and who is getting picked in important games (*when everyone is abailable) - that usually tells you more about their true feelings.

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 04:26 PM
I was indifferent to this deal but after today proving once and for all certain players will just never come good for us, I hope we get this done. We need options and right now there’s fuck all outside the best 11.
Even within our best XI, I’d say we could upgrade 3 or 4 of the players (which isn’t to say they’re bad - they’re just not on the same level as our best 6 or 7 players).

Bumble
23-01-2021, 07:20 PM
Even within our best XI, I’d say we could upgrade 3 or 4 of the players (which isn’t to say they’re bad - they’re just not on the same level as our best 6 or 7 players).

i think 10 players are pretty good Leno Bellerin Holding Gabriel Tierney Partey Saka Martinelli ESR Auba. so one central midfielder of really quality and we have a good 1st XI unfortunately that wont win you the league. as the lack of depth is quite shocking.

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 08:33 PM
i think 10 players are pretty good Leno Bellerin Holding Gabriel Tierney Partey Saka Martinelli ESR Auba. so one central midfielder of really quality and we have a good 1st XI unfortunately that wont win you the league. as the lack of depth is quite shocking.
Yeah, I’m not saying the others in our current best XI aren’t solid - I just think you’d need to upgrade 3, maybe 4 of them if we really want to challenge. As you say, a better partner for Partey, probably another top class CB, a top class RB and a long-term CF. Some of those players may even be at the club already, depending on how they develop.

Then, of course, we need a massive overhaul of the squad players.

dazthegooner
24-01-2021, 05:05 PM
Done deal according to Skysports though not yet comfirmed on Arsenal.com. https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12197643/martin-odegaard-transfer-arsenal-agree-deal-to-sign-real-madrid-midfielder-on-loan-until-end-of-season

Marc Overmars
27-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Done :wave:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/martin-odegaard-joins-arsenal-loan

WGC Goon
27-01-2021, 11:43 AM
The Norwegian Messi :bow:

selassie
27-01-2021, 11:58 AM
This kid is supposed to be red hot.

He tore up La Liga last season whilst on loan at Real Sociedad, it was a 2 year loan, but Real Madrid cut it short and brought him back a year early....to leave him to rot on the bench!

I can't say I have seen too much of him but I have read plenty of rave reviews.

Letters
27-01-2021, 12:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeiOUfqOKu8

:bow:

GP
27-01-2021, 12:15 PM
The Norwegian Messi :bow:

Messi is the Argentine Odegaard

Mac76
27-01-2021, 12:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeiOUfqOKu8

:bow:

totally

can't wait to see him in an Arsenal shirt

Globalgunner
27-01-2021, 05:46 PM
totally

Just go to the Arsenal website

Letters
27-01-2021, 05:56 PM

:lol:

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2021, 06:52 PM
totally

Like a young Dennis.

Mac76
27-01-2021, 07:06 PM

Yeah i did straight after i'd written that :)

IBK
28-01-2021, 09:21 AM

I am invisible
28-01-2021, 01:32 PM
Wonder if this signing will unlock 433 for us in some games, now we have a couple of 8-10s in ESR and Ødegaard? Would be good to have another tactical option to choose from to keep opponents guessing...

I am invisible
29-01-2021, 07:22 AM
This kid is supposed to be red hot.

He tore up La Liga last season whilst on loan at Real Sociedad, it was a 2 year loan, but Real Madrid cut it short and brought him back a year early....to leave him to rot on the bench!

I can't say I have seen too much of him but I have read plenty of rave reviews.
I get the feeling Madrid thought they were buying a winger - the “Norwegian Messi” - when they first brought him in as a 16yo, but as he’s developed he’s turned into more of a Modric, which has made it much harder for them to find opportunities for him.

Plus you know Madrid - they like their shiny, shiny. I’m sure everyone was buzzing about him when he first arrived with his ‘new Messi’ tag, but now they’ve had to wait another 6 years for him to get his chance all of that excitement and interest has probably gone. I can see them doing the usual Madrid thing in the summer and going big for someone like Aouar, instead of using the perfectly good, unused option they already have.

GP
29-01-2021, 08:42 AM
https://i.redd.it/p0uetj0pu4e61.jpg

I am invisible
30-01-2021, 04:23 PM
Just thought... we can’t actually register Ødegaard in the squad unless we unregister one of the current non-HG players first.

Leaving out Özil, Sokratis and Saliba in the summer just about made us compliant, so moving them on in January didn’t free up any places. We’ve since loaned out Kolasinac, but his place immediately went to Matt Ryan, so we still need to free up a non-HG place.

In short, bye Mustafi :wave:

I am invisible
30-01-2021, 04:50 PM
Interesting... Ødegaard is already on the bench for United. Who’s gone?

Globalgunner
30-01-2021, 04:52 PM
Mustafi must be out 1 way or the other.

I am invisible
30-01-2021, 05:21 PM
And to think some people were unsure about this deal! This already makes the lad one of our top 5 players, ever.

Mac76
30-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Interesting... Ødegaard is already on the bench for United

i thought he was on the bench for Arsenal :rimshot:

I am invisible
30-01-2021, 07:26 PM
i thought he was on the bench for Arsenal :rimshot:
Boooo!