PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Southampton (away, FA Cup)

McNamara That Ghost...
23-01-2021, 02:07 PM
Oh well.

Didn't learn anything new, there are some players that we have that if rested mean a surefire loss.

Letters
23-01-2021, 02:09 PM
We did ok second half but never quite enough.
We aren’t strong enough these days to make that many changes and get a result.
Poo

Letters
23-01-2021, 02:10 PM
And kudos to Southampton who I thought defended well when we did put some pressure on.

LDG
23-01-2021, 02:11 PM
Embarrassing.

Some of these lot need to fuck off out of the club.

Mac76
23-01-2021, 02:11 PM
we lost that game from the moment Arteta picked that side, dreadful management

even if for some wierd reason he doesn't care about it this year, has he forgotten the FA Cup is a route into the EL ffs?

Marc Overmars
23-01-2021, 02:12 PM
Certain players make me sick and a lot of them were out there today. Just a complete waste of time, it’s like flogging a dead horse expecting them to suddenly turn up.

Must get the 3 points on Tuesday now to justify this shit show.

Mac76
23-01-2021, 02:12 PM
Embarrassing.

Some of these lot need to fuck off out of the club.

starting with Willian, Eddie and Pepe

McNamara That Ghost...
23-01-2021, 02:13 PM
we lost that game from the moment Arteta picked that side, dreadful management

even if for some wierd reason he doesn't care about it this year, has he forgotten the FA Cup is a route into the EL ffs?

Sure but you did have a go at him for playing Tierney in the last round.

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 02:30 PM
I suppose I can’t complain too much - we rested all the players I wanted to see rested, and that was always going to leave us with the pre-Christmas, relegation-form bums. Cant have it both ways, I guess.

I just still can’t believe quite how bad some of these players are! I mean, I know exactly how bad they are - I’ve seen it enough times - and yet it still comes as a total shock, every single time! We’ve got a lot of work to do this summer.

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 02:37 PM
starting with Willian, Eddie and Pepe
Unfortunately, this is what the squad looks as soon as we rest even 1 or 2 key players at the same time - it’s not pretty.

Mac76
23-01-2021, 02:40 PM
Sure but you did have a go at him for playing Tierney in the last round.

that was against a shit newcastle side, this was against a much better Saints side - anyway it was the forward line that was the biggest fail - Willian, Eddie and Pepe are never going to win a game for us

Mac76
23-01-2021, 02:42 PM
I suppose I can’t complain too much - we rested all the players I wanted to see rested, and that was always going to leave us with the pre-Christmas, relegation-form bums. Cant have it both ways, I guess.

I just still can’t believe quite how bad some of these players are! I mean, I know exactly how bad they are - I’ve seen it enough times - and yet it still comes as a total shock, every single time! We’ve got a lot of work to do this summer.

yes that was absolutely clear

i have to say I've made my mind up about Pepe now, I've always had some goodwill towards him, but he's just not good enough and we should see what we can get for him in the summer

Mac76
23-01-2021, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately, this is what the squad looks as soon as we rest even 1 or 2 key players at the same time - it’s not pretty.

where Arteta went wrong was downgrading the FA Cup so much - i'd prefer to have risked the league game rather than this tie, it's really demoralising, we've just thrown the cup away as holders and we've lost one route into European football next season

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 02:45 PM
yes that was absolutely clear

i have to say I've made my mind up about Pepe now, I've always had some goodwill towards him, but he's just not good enough and we should see what we can get for him in the summer
Yeah, it’s damage limitation with Pepe now, for him as well as us. I still think he could have a decent career with someone, in a different league and in a very specific system, but this is doing no one any favours.

McNamara That Ghost...
23-01-2021, 02:52 PM
that was against a shit newcastle side, this was against a much better Saints side - anyway it was the forward line that was the biggest fail - Willian, Eddie and Pepe are never going to win a game for us

Tierney IS our attack!

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 02:53 PM
where Arteta went wrong was downgrading the FA Cup so much - i'd prefer to have risked the league game rather than this tie, it's really demoralising, we've just thrown the cup away as holders and we've lost one route into European football next season
Fair enough - right rotation, wrong game for you then?

For me, I think he called it right - I’d focus on the league. We took the cup after a couple of shock results last year, but I don’t think we beat the likes of City this year, if we come up against them again (and we would have at some point). They’ve already sussed out that counter-attacking tactic we used against them last season, and we don’t have the options or the experience to take them on in open play yet. The league let’s you pick and choose your battles - with the cup, one mistake and you’re out.

Gooner23
23-01-2021, 03:24 PM
These back up players are just not good enough unfortunately. Nothing more to say on the usual suspects.

We have to win Tuesday now. We should see a better performance with Tierney, Partey, Saka, ESR and Auba starting, but always that worry about momentum being lost with a defeat.

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 03:59 PM
These back up players are just not good enough unfortunately. Nothing more to say on the usual suspects.

We have to win Tuesday now. We should see a better performance with Tierney, Partey, Saka, ESR and Auba starting, but always that worry about momentum being lost with a defeat.
At least we’re (finally!) starting to chip away at it - we’ve got rid of some this window, and hopefully we’ll see more go in the summer. If Arteta and Edu do nothing else during their time here, it will have been worth it if they can ship out as much of the crap as possible.

Just so frustrating that we have to sit through at least another 5 months of it (and even then we probably won’t get it all done)...

Gooner23
23-01-2021, 04:04 PM
At least we’re (finally!) starting to chip away at it - we’ve got rid of some this window, and hopefully we’ll see more go in the summer. If Arteta and Edu do nothing else during their time here, it will have been worth it if they can ship out as much of the crap as possible.

Just so frustrating that we have to sit through at least another 5 months of it (and even then we probably won’t get it all done)...

The Willian deal isn't a great example of lessons being learnt though. I'm also worried about the links to Bertrand currently. It's good to see some of the dross being shifted though.

Mac76
23-01-2021, 04:09 PM
In the summer we need to try our hardest to get rid of:

Willian (though i doubt we will)
Eddie
Pepe
Xhaka
Elneny
Mustafi (if he's not gone already, if not i think he might be out of contract anyway?)
Auba
Bellerin (we should get good money for him i'd hope and AMN and Cedric are as good as him)

I'd be tempted to hold onto Laca as he's proving useful and it was interesting to hear Keown say he's good with the younger players, though if we need to sell for contract reasons then so be it

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 04:38 PM
In the summer we need to try our hardest to get rid of:

Willian (though i doubt we will)
Eddie
Pepe
Xhaka
Elneny
Mustafi (if he's not gone already, if not i think he might be out of contract anyway?)
Auba
Bellerin (we should get good money for him i'd hope and AMN and Cedric are as good as him)

I'd be tempted to hold onto Laca as he's proving useful and it was interesting to hear Keown say he's good with the younger players, though if we need to sell for contract reasons then so be it
I feel for Laca because I really think he’s putting the effort in, but I just don’t think we should even be considering bettering his current £180k/wk wages, especially at nearly 30 - that’s more than generous for what he offers. Let’s mot make the same mistake we did with Auba - be grateful he’s puffing his value, sell and reinvest in someone cheaper and longer-term. We need to start getting ruthless with these things.

Agree with the rest of your list, plus I’d also add Luiz, either Willock or a Nelson, Ceballos (who isn’t ours and hasn’t done enough to warrant an offer) and Torreira and Guendouzi (who clearly have no future here). Massive rebuild!

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 05:18 PM
The Willian deal isn't a great example of lessons being learnt though. I'm also worried about the links to Bertrand currently. It's good to see some of the dross being shifted though.
OK, I’m just going to say it... I don’t actually blame Arteta or Edu for wanting to sign Willian. The move actually made a lot of sense back in the summer - our other wide options were either incredibly young (Saka, Martinelli, Nelson) or struggling to settle (Pepe) so I can see the sense in adding in an experienced, PL-ready pro to that mix. Also we had limited funds and he was on a free.

Statistically? I’m sure I read he was one of Chelsea’s best players from the previous season, so he was still performing well - a slight dip in form was to be expected as he got older, but I don’t think anyone could have predicted just how much of a dumpster fire of a signing he would turn out to be?!

The person who needs to be shot is whoever offered him 3 years on £220k/wk! Seriously, wtf?

Generally speaking, I think our other transfer activity has been ok under Arteta - I have no issue with Mari or Cedric as cheap cover, and our big signings (Partey and Gabriel) were hits. Runasson looks a big miss, but you can’t win them all -(plus I get the feeling we were expecting to bring in another keeper as well, but couldn’t get it done). And, again, I have no issue with our targets this January - given our financial constraints I’m not sure we can do too much more. Most importantly, the outs are looking spot on! I can’t tell you how happy I am that someone is finally identifying the problem players / contracts and doing something about them. I can forgive the odd miss if they’re mostly getting it right...

dazthegooner
23-01-2021, 06:20 PM
Think we need to give up on Eddie as a team we don't create enough tap in chances that he needs to score.

Bumble
23-01-2021, 06:46 PM
Think we need to give up on Eddie as a team we don't create enough tap in chances that he needs to score.

he is probably ok as a back up striker in a creative team. but we arent that.

also i am going to stick my neck out here and say that i dont think Willian was a good signing.

Mac76
23-01-2021, 07:54 PM
I feel for Laca because I really think he’s putting the effort in, but I just don’t think we should even be considering bettering his current £180k/wk wages, especially at nearly 30 - that’s more than generous for what he offers. Let’s mot make the same mistake we did with Auba - be grateful he’s puffing his value, sell and reinvest in someone cheaper and longer-term. We need to start getting ruthless with these things.

Agree with the rest of your list, plus I’d also add Luiz, either Willock or a Nelson, Ceballos (who isn’t ours and hasn’t done enough to warrant an offer) and Torreira and Guendouzi (who clearly have no future here). Massive rebuild!

I'm also writing off Guen and Torreira, they definitely are on their way out

Luiz will be out of contract, and Ceballos' loan will end

I agree about Willock and maybe Nelson though i'd still have preferred to see him play today than some of the crap we had up front

I never said anything about paying Laca more money, and again i don't know what his contract situation is, but if it works i would 't object to him being at Arsenal next season

I am invisible
23-01-2021, 09:43 PM
I'm also writing off Guen and Torreira, they definitely are on their way out

Luiz will be out of contract, and Ceballos' loan will end

I agree about Willock and maybe Nelson though i'd still have preferred to see him play today than some of the crap we had up front

I never said anything about paying Laca more money, and again i don't know what his contract situation is, but if it works i would 't object to him being at Arsenal next season
Yeah, I know, but I’m guessing that’s what it will take. I just can’t imagine a footballer signing an extension for the same money - I’m not sure their egos (or agents) would allow it. He’ll be 30 by the summer and down to his last year - if he can maintain this form until then and boost his value I reckon shake hands and part ways. Get him a good move to a CL team and reinvest in the future.

I haven’t completely written Nelson off yet, but if a good offer came in you’d have to look at it? Hoping we look to ditch Willian and Pepe first, but we need funds and he’s currently expendable. Where is he at the moment anyway? Is he injured or has he just been dropped?

Willock, I just don’t see a path for. He doesn’t look cut out to play at the base of midfield next to Partey, and he’s not on the same level as ESR as an attacking midfielder. If we’re serious about loaning Ødegaard then I think that’s a pretty clear sign we’re not sure about him.

Mac76
23-01-2021, 10:00 PM
Arteta really doesn't seem to rate Nelson, he gives him very little game time, seems a bit unfair but maybe he just doesn't run around enough traffic cones for Arteta's liking...

Marc Overmars
23-01-2021, 11:32 PM
I would pencil in AMN’s departure too. Think it’s very obvious Arteta doesn’t see a place for him.

I am invisible
24-01-2021, 07:57 AM
What I’m finding odd is that, Balogun aside, none of these young players are making any noises about leaving? Not so much as a peep from their agents either?

Marc Overmars
24-01-2021, 09:21 AM
Well how many of them are actually that good? We know Saka and ESR are different animals but the likes of Eddie, Willock and Nelson are nothing players really. Arsenal is probably as good as it will get for them so why rock the boat? Also they know they’re filling the homegrown quota so that makes their places in the squad relatively secure.

Globalgunner
24-01-2021, 09:36 AM
The longer we persist with average players, the longer the overall quality of the team will be average. Why cant we just go with the evidence of our own eyes. We dont owe any of these kids a career. Move them on and promote the next set of kids in their place. Its not that hard really

Its bad enough that we keep on adding average players at the top end, we cant even get rid of the ones at the bottom of the ladder.

Many teams, especially in Europe earn a main chunk of their income by selling academy players, instead we just hoard them. Psychiatric intervention may be needed

I am invisible
24-01-2021, 10:28 AM
Well how many of them are actually that good? We know Saka and ESR are different animals but the likes of Eddie, Willock and Nelson are nothing players really. Arsenal is probably as good as it will get for them so why rock the boat? Also they know they’re filling the homegrown quota so that makes their places in the squad relatively secure.
Yeah, maybe COVID’s playing a part too? We can’t be the only club that has financial worries - not much point in making demands and agitating for moves if there’s no interest.

IBK
25-01-2021, 02:34 PM
OK, I’m just going to say it... I don’t actually blame Arteta or Edu for wanting to sign Willian. The move actually made a lot of sense back in the summer - our other wide options were either incredibly young (Saka, Martinelli, Nelson) or struggling to settle (Pepe) so I can see the sense in adding in an experienced, PL-ready pro to that mix. Also we had limited funds and he was on a free.

Statistically? I’m sure I read he was one of Chelsea’s best players from the previous season, so he was still performing well - a slight dip in form was to be expected as he got older, but I don’t think anyone could have predicted just how much of a dumpster fire of a signing he would turn out to be?!

The person who needs to be shot is whoever offered him 3 years on £220k/wk! Seriously, wtf?

Generally speaking, I think our other transfer activity has been ok under Arteta - I have no issue with Mari or Cedric as cheap cover, and our big signings (Partey and Gabriel) were hits. Runasson looks a big miss, but you can’t win them all -(plus I get the feeling we were expecting to bring in another keeper as well, but couldn’t get it done). And, again, I have no issue with our targets this January - given our financial constraints I’m not sure we can do too much more. Most importantly, the outs are looking spot on! I can’t tell you how happy I am that someone is finally identifying the problem players / contracts and doing something about them. I can forgive the odd miss if they’re mostly getting it right...

As usual sensible post.

Re Saturday's game - meh from my perspective. You don't make 7 changes to our best side and expect to play at anything like our best - especially against a well drilled and (as far as I could tell) pretty much full strength Southampton team. When a couple of our better players did come on it was always going to be a real struggle trying to break down a low block - but we looked heaps better in the second half which I suppose was encouraging.

I think any team would have been sub-par with all the chopping and changing. A good exapmle of how this impinges even on the best players was the disappointing performance of Martinelli.

We all know that our second string is not up to much - but while Southampton attached with intent - it still took a deflected OG for them to win the tie. Not going to throw my toys out of the pram for either the result or the flat 1st hour's performance from us.

TBF I felt a bit for Pepe in this match. He tried hard and should have had at least an assist. The double whammy of playing with the more dysfunctional second string and this Arsenal team not being set up for him to shine is not working for him (and yes - I do accept that we were hoping that he would be a game changer in any Arsenal team and he is not).

William sucked. Again. But this happens and some of the criticism of Arteta and Edu for signing him is too coloured by hindsight. The ridiculous deal he was given not so much.

Also, while there were far too many changes on Saturday for Arteta to expect to maintain our recent momentum, I can see why he did it. We were quick to accuse him of running players down, or rushing them back earlier in the season.

Right lads - now go and win tomorrow with the first team.

Gooner23
25-01-2021, 02:45 PM
Reports that Mustafi is now in talks with club to terminate contract. He's clearly 5th/6th choice now so won't be seeing much game time unless he moves on. Sounds like a win win.