PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Southampton (away, League)

McNamara That Ghost...
26-01-2021, 10:09 PM
We've got our 8th place back. :bow:

Saka. :bow:

Pepe. :bow:

David Luiz. :lol:

Well done though overall. Man Utd next.

Marc Overmars
26-01-2021, 10:10 PM
Had to win and we did. Great job all round. Some nice, fast and confident football at times.

Saka and Cedric were exceptional. Everyone else had a good nights work too.

On to United. :popcorn:

Mac76
26-01-2021, 10:14 PM
proper match, so good to actually see enjoyable football again

bring on Man Ure :threaten:

Gooner23
26-01-2021, 10:15 PM
Great win, and enjoyable to watch as both teams were going for it which is so rare in the Prem these days

hobson's choice
26-01-2021, 11:08 PM
Good professional victory, now on to United

WGC Goon
27-01-2021, 09:26 AM
A great confidence booster ahead of the Man Utd game :d So....would you bring back Aubameyang into the starting XI if he's available or start him on the subs bench? An on form Lacazette surely has to start alongside Saka, Smith Rowe with maybe Pepe. Hopefully Tierney will be fit by Saturday as well.

selassie
27-01-2021, 09:50 AM
It was a very good performance all over the pitch. Offensively we are looking like a real team now. If we can keep the core of this squad fit then I think we will have a relatively successful 2nd half of the season.

Mac76
27-01-2021, 10:01 AM
does anyone know what the 'personal family reasons' are why Auba's not available?

selassie
27-01-2021, 10:18 AM
does anyone know what the 'personal family reasons' are why Auba's not available?

His Mum died.

Ollie the Optimist
27-01-2021, 10:54 AM
How do the referees get away with such incompetence each week?

The display last night was appalling. He booked Bellerin early on for a late tackle (i dont actually have an issue with that) yet when a Southampton player took out saka late, nothing. Where is the consistency ?

Also, how the fuck can he book Pepe for being slow to leave the pitch (when he wasn’t even substituted) but the game couldn’t restart as a player was injured & receiving treatment?

Mac76
27-01-2021, 10:59 AM
His Mum died.

ah, ok, that's sad

Mac76
27-01-2021, 11:02 AM
How do the referees get away with such incompetence each week?

The display last night was appalling. He booked Bellerin early on for a late tackle (i dont actually have an issue with that) yet when a Southampton player took out saka late, nothing. Where is the consistency ?

Also, how the fuck can he book Pepe for being slow to leave the pitch (when he wasn’t even substituted) but the game couldn’t restart as a player was injured & receiving treatment?

we get inconsistency with yellow cards all the time - there's an unwritten rule that they have to be given against Arsenal as much as possible

in particular the Pepe thing was a total joke and the club should appeal it

Ollie the Optimist
27-01-2021, 11:03 AM
I didnt think you could appeal yellow cards?

I am invisible
27-01-2021, 11:22 AM
we get inconsistency with yellow cards all the time - there's an unwritten rule that they have to be given against Arsenal as much as possible

in particular the Pepe thing was a total joke and the club should appeal it

1 Arsenal foul = 10 non-Arsenal fouls. That's how it goes.

Gooner23
27-01-2021, 11:56 AM
I also think of the red cards Xhaka and Luiz have had in the past for 'deliberate' fouls, but don't think I have ever seen another team punished for this. Likewise with the foul throws, seems to be only us getting pulled up on it.

Bumble
27-01-2021, 12:25 PM
1 Arsenal foul = 10 non-Arsenal fouls. That's how it goes.
i doubt that is really the case. it would be interesting to see a study over ten years to see on average fouls to yellow card ratios.

it is probably just we notice the things that happen to and against arsenal rather than other teams.

very result yesterday, finally we conceded first and won... that makes a pleasant change. ESR plays and we win. even pepe didn't look a chump. we do have a core of good young and actually domestic players we can build a team around. Leno, Tierney, Holding, Saka, ESR, Martinelli... players who could with us for 10 years. Still not convinced by Arteta but at least after being forced to pick the youngsters he is continuing to play the youngsters.

Mac76
27-01-2021, 12:40 PM
it is probably just we notice the things that happen to and against arsenal rather than other teams.

no, the fact is we have one of the worst disclinary records of any club in the PL, yet we are in no way a 'dirty' team, especially compared with the likes of spuds, burnley, brighton etc who get off far more lightly with refs

we get punished for EVERYTHING, other teams don't

I am invisible
27-01-2021, 01:16 PM
I don’t know if anyone’s put together a more current table, but this was from a couple of seasons ago...

https://dailycannon.com/2019/10/arsenal-get-fewest-fouls-per-yellow-liverpool-and-leicester-the-most/

Mac76
27-01-2021, 01:47 PM
I don’t know if anyone’s put together a more current table, but this was from a couple of seasons ago...

https://dailycannon.com/2019/10/arsenal-get-fewest-fouls-per-yellow-liverpool-and-leicester-the-most/

exactly and of course now it's happened for a few seasons, no doubt refs think - "ok, they're bad on discipline, i need to come down hard on any fouls to keep them under control" - so it's a self-perpetuating situation

Ollie the Optimist
27-01-2021, 05:10 PM
His Mum died.

He just posted on instagram saying his mum was ill but she hasn’t died. She seems to be recovery and sounds like he is on his way back to ARsenal so expect hell be available for United