PDA

View Full Version : Summer '21 transfer lunacy and overpayment

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mac76
15-02-2021, 12:19 PM
please tell me this isn't true :pray:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-to-reward-david-luiz-with-new-contract_435281.html

if it is... :ilt:

Mac76
15-02-2021, 12:20 PM
This sounds more promising re a new striker

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-quoted-gbp15m-for-odsonne-edouard_435283.html

dazthegooner
15-02-2021, 12:27 PM
Yeah I see that hope it isn't true but if it's down to Arteta and Edu then it will happen :(

Mac76
15-02-2021, 12:41 PM
if they like his influence on younger players then fine, make him a member of the coaching team, but as a player sorry, no, we have far better in both Mari and Holding

Gooner23
15-02-2021, 01:15 PM
Under no circumstances should we be offering a new deal to Luiz. The sooner we move on from these Chelsea has beens the better.

I am invisible
15-02-2021, 05:31 PM
please tell me this isn't true :pray:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-to-reward-david-luiz-with-new-contract_435281.html

if it is... :ilt:

:sick:

Hopefully this is just the Kia camp testing the water / fishing for reactions?

I am invisible
08-05-2021, 01:34 PM
Fuck this season - fuck it right in the face. I’m taking up residence in the make-believe thread for the next few months until stinking reality kicks in again in the autumn...

I am invisible
08-05-2021, 01:37 PM
In possibly the most Arsenal transfer rumour of all time, we’re trying to sign a goalkeeper who’s serving a year’s suspension for doping...

https://www.goal.com/en/news/arsenal-eye-ajax-keeper-onana-but-face-wait-over-doping-ban/w49rsqd4cdr51lxnk8u38e0k6

Mac76
08-05-2021, 02:04 PM
In possibly the most Arsenal transfer rumour of all time, we’re trying to sign a goalkeeper who’s serving a year’s suspension for doping...

https://www.goal.com/en/news/arsenal-eye-ajax-keeper-onana-but-face-wait-over-doping-ban/w49rsqd4cdr51lxnk8u38e0k6

so in other words the authorities decided to ban onana

I am invisible
08-05-2021, 02:58 PM
so in other words the authorities decided to ban onana

It writes itself! Shame on Goal for overlooking that one.

I am invisible
08-05-2021, 03:02 PM
For the record, I’m open to buying players who are doping - nothing else has worked.

Gooner23
12-05-2021, 07:45 AM
Looks like it will be a major clear out this summer.

Some journos reporting Leno, Xhaka, Bellerin, Luiz and Willian all want out.

Laca, Elneny, Nketiah and Nelson must surely be up for sale as well.

Plus the loan players without a future, Kolasinac, Torreira, Guendouzi, AMN, Mavropanos and maybe Willock.

That's a huge number of outgoings, can't say I'd be too bothered with any of them leaving though.

I am invisible
12-05-2021, 08:32 AM
Yeah, a lot of big talk about needing to be “ruthless” this summer - hopefully that means more than just firing Ruth from accounts.

I’ve seen some publications mentioning 5 of 6 names, but my count of players that need to go is closer to 20!

Leno
Runnarsson
Bellerin
Luiz
Chambers / Holding / Mavs (sell 2, keep 1)
Kolasinac
*Elneny
Ceballos
Torreira
Guendouzi
AMN
*Willock
Ødegaard
*Willian
Nelson
Nketiah
Lacazette

(*Wouldnt be surprised if these players stayed)

Then there’s Xhaka who is down to his final 2 years - if there’s no new contract offer / he’s not signing an extension, then we’ll need to make decision there too.

And we’d have to consider any serious offers for Auba and Pepe too

I won’t defend Arteta for much right now, but when you see it listed out like that, that’s an incredible amount of players that he either doesn’t need or want, can’t count on or can’t afford to keep!

(And, yes, I know 2 or 3 of those names are self-inflicted, but still... what a mess!)

Mac76
12-05-2021, 09:38 AM
Y

Then there’s Xhaka who is down to his final 2 years - if there’s no new contract offer / he’s not signing an extension, then we’ll need to make decision there too.

simple decision needed - get rid or stay mediocre and underachieving

Gooner23
12-05-2021, 09:52 AM
simple decision needed - get rid or stay mediocre and underachieving

By the sounds of it he is one of the players that wants out, so Arteta will be forced to move on from him (hopefully)

I am invisible
12-05-2021, 10:55 AM
By the sounds of it he is one of the players that wants out, so Arteta will be forced to move on from him (hopefully)

Yeah, I have a feeling our hand may be forced with Xhaka - if we are looking to bring in another CM (and the names we're being linked with aren't backups), then he's not going to stick around to sit on the bench when he could probably go back to Germany or to Italy and go and play for CL side.

I'm not sure he's one we would have actively sought to move on otherwise, given the sheer number of other 'outs' we might be looking at (inc. up to 7 other CMs!), but if he's down to his final 2 years, and he's not committing further, then, by the club's own self-imposed standard, we have to cash in and move on.

Gooner23
12-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I have a feeling our hand may be forced with Xhaka - if we are looking to bring in another CM (and the names we're being linked with aren't backups), then he's not going to stick around to sit on the bench when he could probably go back to Germany or to Italy and go and play for CL side.

I'm not sure he's one we would have actively sought to move on otherwise, given the sheer number of other 'outs' we might be looking at (inc. up to 7 other CMs!), but if he's down to his final 2 years, and he's not committing further, then, by the club's own self-imposed standard, we have to cash in and move on.

One of the few players that would bring in a reasonable fee as well. Bissouma would be a good signing if the links are true, but still leaves us very short in centre mid!

I am invisible
12-05-2021, 11:48 AM
One of the few players that would bring in a reasonable fee as well. Bissouma would be a good signing if the links are true, but still leaves us very short in centre mid!
On the plus side, we have volume on our side, even if not too many of those players would bring in huge fees. Plus the squad was already bloated, even with extra European games to manage - with just domestic games we’ll probably only need to replace 1 in 3 players.

Bissouma is there on a plate, if we want him - he’s already handed a transfer request in, and he’s mates with Pepe and Gabriel from Lille. Probably too easy and obvious for our lot though.

One interesting rumour I heard was Zakaria, with Xhaka going the other way back to BMG - probably just some website putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but it’s an interesting idea. If Xhaka does go then we’ll need 2 CMs and that would be a neat solution for one of them.

I am invisible
12-05-2021, 12:01 PM
On a related note, fair play to Xhaka if he does genuinely want out - that would make him one of our only wantaway players who’s been professional enough to keep doing his job to the best of his abilities each week. He may be limited in a lot of ways, but at least he shows up.

Gooner23
14-05-2021, 03:13 PM
Luiz confirmed as leaving this summer. I think he has been better this season but still glad we are moving on. Hopefully Saliba can make his mark.

Mac76
14-05-2021, 03:25 PM
Luiz confirmed as leaving this summer.

:patrice:

I am invisible
14-05-2021, 06:05 PM
Free Willian with every purchase!

I am invisible
15-05-2021, 05:02 AM
Ceballos heading back to Madrid at the end of the season - cracking start to the summer so far!

Mac76
16-05-2021, 09:48 AM
I was thinking yesterday about how Timo Werner ia a) shit, b) on a big contract and c) plays for Chelski

I'd say the chances of him ending up at Arsenal in the next few years are pretty high...

I am invisible
16-05-2021, 10:45 AM
I was thinking yesterday about how Timo Werner ia a) shit, b) on a big contract and c) plays for Chelski

I'd say the chances of him ending up at Arsenal in the next few years are pretty high...
Not old enough yet - maybe in 7 or 8 years.

Gooner23
16-05-2021, 10:54 AM
Willian is expected to leave in the summer according to that Fabrizio Romano bloke.

Please say this isn't a wind up :pray:

I am invisible
16-05-2021, 10:57 AM
So... what’s going on with the RB situation? Bellerin’s obviously off, but it doesn’t look like we’re 100% sold on any of the other options either? Kind of feels like we’re flinging shit at the wall and seeing what sticks?

Mac76
16-05-2021, 01:17 PM
Chambo is decent and personally i don't think Soares has been given enough of a run for us to be sure of him either, another problem with all Arteta's tinkering

Gooner23
16-05-2021, 01:31 PM
I'd sell Bellerin and and Cedric. Bring in a 1st choice right back and back up left back. Keep Chambers.

I am invisible
16-05-2021, 02:29 PM
Chambo is decent and personally i don'r hink Soares has been given enough of a run for ua to be sure of him either, another problem with all Arteta's tinkering
Judging by all the chopping and changing it doesn’t sound like Arteta really rates any of them as first choice material (fair), so I guess we’ve been auditioning these guys for the role of backup?

I wonder if we’ve maybe already made up our mind that £75k/wk is just too much to be paying a backup RB (Cedric) given our financial losses, and have started looking at Chambers as an alternative? Or it could just be as simple as Chambers stepped in as cover one week and hasn’t deserved to be dropped since?

Either way, we definitely need a first choice RB - Tierney makes such a massive difference to how Arteta wants to play and we instantly drop a couple of levels whenever he’s out. Backup for Tierney and a right-sided Tierney have to be priorities this summer.

I am invisible
21-05-2021, 08:51 AM
Willock - keep or sell?

I am invisible
21-05-2021, 08:51 AM
Ødegaard - buy or bye?

Mac76
21-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Willock - keep or sell?

i'd say keep, but it will only mean he still sits on the bench and plays in the League Cup

in terms of what's best for his own career he'd 100% be better off at Newcastle where he'll play in his favouite position very week and score shedloads of goals.

Mac76
21-05-2021, 11:33 AM
Ødegaard - buy or bye?

not been impressed since his first very promising 3-4 games but given Arteta's ability to nullify anyone with talent (see Joe Willock) then he's probably good enough

Marc Overmars
21-05-2021, 11:44 AM
I would sell Willock if we were to receive a big offer. I know he’s done well at Newcastle but I don’t see where he fits in with us. It’s a bit like Iwobi where he didn’t really have a role with us and Everton just offered silly money for the sake of it.

Don’t see what Odegaard has done to merit a big transfer, has he done more than Ozil would have? Not sure.

Bumble
21-05-2021, 12:24 PM
odegaard started well but he would be very expensive. if we get an offer for willock then selling probably be best unless arteta actually has a plan for him.

we need to raise money, bellerin looks on way out which should raise some.

I am invisible
21-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I still think I’d sell Willock. I keep flip-flopping on him, but like MO I’m still not 100% sure what he is or where he fits? He’s almost like a second striker, and, whilst that might be a useful option at times, I don’t think he has the creativity to go with the goals that he’d need to be a starter for us. And if he’s not getting regular starts I can see his confidence and form sliding again. Cash in while he’s on a roll and reinvest.

That being said, I think we should push hard on the fee - he’s probably scored about 80% of Newcastle’s goals since he went there and that’s pretty much kept them up, so that comes at a cost. And he’s homegrown so there’s no quota issues! I would imagine Newcastle would want at least £30-35m for someone like Saint-Maximin if anyone came calling, and Willock has outshone him on his loan, so that’s the minimum I’d accept. Anything less and I’d tell them to stroll on.

I am invisible
21-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Agree with you chaps about Ødegaard, too. As a January loan I thought it was a fantastic bit of business. As a permanent move, though, I think we could probably get someone better for less than Madrid would want.

Mac76
21-05-2021, 03:55 PM
That being said, I think we should push hard on the fee - he’s probably scored about 80% of Newcastle’s goals since he went there and that’s pretty much kept them up, so that comes at a cost. And he’s homegrown so there’s no quota issues! I would imagine Newcastle would want at least £30-35m for someone like Saint-Maximin if anyone came calling, and Willock has outshone him on his loan, so that’s the minimum I’d accept. Anything less and I’d tell them to stroll on.

definitely i was thinking exactly the same - he kept them up single-handed and if they keep him, then with saint-maximin and wilson fit, plus Almiron's been good lately, they could be a lot more successful next season - so we should absolutely push hard on it

Gooner23
24-05-2021, 08:07 AM
Thoughts on what happens to current squad?

Assuming Ceballos and Odegaard are returning to RM, for me;

Keep
Leno - not our biggest issue
Ryan - seems solid back up
Chambers - done enough and home grown
Holding - as above
Saliba - has to be involved next season
Gabriel - first choice
Mari - solid back up
Tierney - obviously
Partey - obviously (but needs to improve)
Elneny - ok back up but sell if decent offer
Smith Rowe - obviously
Saka - obviously
Pepe - redeemed himself
Martinelli - obviously
Auba - needs to get his mojo back

Loan
AMN - full season on loan to pump his value
Nelson - as above

Sell / release
Bellerin - time is up
Cedric - can't afford a 3rd choice RB
Luiz - bye
Kolasinac - bye
Willian - bye
Guendouzi - hasn't worked out
Torreira - as above
Xhaka - peak value
Laca - as above
Eddie - Balogun takes his spot
Willock - only if offer is big enough

That should leave space for 3-4 signings and a couple of the youngsters (Balogun and Azeez)

I am invisible
24-05-2021, 09:21 AM

Keep
Holding - as above
Gabriel - first choice
Mari - solid back up
Tierney - obviously
Smith Rowe - obviously
Saka - obviously
Pepe - redeemed himself
Martinelli - obviously

Loan
Nelson - as above

Sell / release
Bellerin - time is up
Luiz - bye
Kolasinac - bye
Willian - bye
Torreira - as above
Xhaka - peak value
Laca - as above

That should leave space for 3-4 signings and a couple of the youngsters (Balogun and Azeez)

I think most of our keep / sell lists will be 90% identical, tbh.

I'd bump Ainsley and Nelson up to definite sales - both have disappointed me with their attitudes over the last year.

And you need to add Mavropanos too - looks a decent CB (albeit in a back 3), but I don't think there's room for both him and Saliba. Choose one, cash in on the other.

Oh, and Runnarsson! Barely seems worth mentioning, but he's taking up a valuable non-homegrown place, and we can't have that. Out!

Willock I could go either way on - I'm still struggling to work out where he fits and how much game time he'd get with us, but he's really impressed me with the way he's taken his loan opportunity. That's the kind of attitude I want in this squad, not players like Nelson who would rather sit there doing nothing

Xhaka I think will depend on what Xhaka wants to do - I don't think we'll actively look to sell, but if we bring in a bunch of new CMs, and given that we're out of Europe, I think he may make the decision for us.

Cedric's the one I'm really scratching my head over atm - he really does seem to have fallen out of favour, but I really think we could struggle to move him on if he digs his heels in.

Mac76
24-05-2021, 09:40 AM

Keep
Holding - as above
Gabriel - first choice
Mari - solid back up
Tierney - obviously
Smith Rowe - obviously
Saka - obviously
Pepe - redeemed himself
Martinelli - obviously

Loan
Nelson - as above

Sell / release
Bellerin - time is up
Luiz - bye
Kolasinac - bye
Willian - bye
Torreira - as above
Xhaka - peak value
Laca - as above

:gp:

spot on - agree with all of that except to say (predictably) that Xhaka to me is a more fundamenal sell than 'peak value' because i just don't want him to be an option to play at any point if we want to be at the level we need to / should be at

Gooner23
24-05-2021, 09:53 AM

spot on - agree with all of that except to say (predictably) that Xhaka to me is a more fundamenal sell than 'peak value' because i just don't want him to be an option to play at any point if we want to be at the level we need to / should be at

Yeah I just meant he has 2 years on his contract and his form has been pretty decent in fairness (cut out the dumb mistakes). So I think its either sell now or give him a new contract. Same for Laca if any lessons have been learned from previous few years.

Bumble
24-05-2021, 05:00 PM
if a £100m bid comes in for Saka... what would you do? Considering we might struggle to make any money on many of our rubbish players and will be grateful they just aren't part of payroll anymore.

I am invisible
24-05-2021, 06:39 PM
Saka’s untouchable - if the rest of the dross doesn’t raise what we’d hoped then we need to get creative with our scouting and/or find more internal solutions.

Shouldn’t be an issue though - if it’s just domestic football next year then we’d only need to replace one in every 3 that we lose (and at least one of the newbies will be a backup).

I am invisible
25-05-2021, 08:01 AM
A few end-of-loan messages...

Joe Willock:
https://www.themag.co.uk/2021/05/joe-willock-says-goodbye-to-newcastle-united-fans-the-end-of-the-affair/

Mat Ryan:
https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/socceroos-ryan-hints-at-arsenal-stay-as-loan-ends-564991

Dani Ceballos:
https://arseblog.news/2021/05/ceballos-confirms-his-arsenal-exit/

Martin Ødegaard:
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/24/lets-face-it-some-arsenal-fans-react-to-what-theyre-hearing-from-odegaard/

___

Willock and Ryan sound like they’re pretty confident of being with us next season.

Ceballos sounds like he definitely won’t.

No idea with Ødegaard - even if a deal were possible, I’m not 100% sure where his commitment lies? Don’t think he’s given up on Madrid yet.

IBK
25-05-2021, 10:12 AM
A few end-of-loan messages...

Joe Willock:
https://www.themag.co.uk/2021/05/joe-willock-says-goodbye-to-newcastle-united-fans-the-end-of-the-affair/

Mat Ryan:
https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/socceroos-ryan-hints-at-arsenal-stay-as-loan-ends-564991

Dani Ceballos:
https://arseblog.news/2021/05/ceballos-confirms-his-arsenal-exit/

Martin Ødegaard:
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/24/lets-face-it-some-arsenal-fans-react-to-what-theyre-hearing-from-odegaard/

___

Willock and Ryan sound like they’re pretty confident of being with us next season.

Ceballos sounds like he definitely won’t.

No idea with Ødegaard - even if a deal were possible, I’m not 100% sure where his commitment lies? Don’t think he’s given up on Madrid yet.

Odegard has been good - but I'm yet to be convinced that he is a player that we should go all out to get. My instinct says that there is a playmaker out there to compliment ESR that won;t cost what Real Madrid will want even if they are prepared to sell. Remember even Ceballos had one or 2 'worldy' performances.

But I don't hold it against the player that he is not trying to force a move to a team that this season has been IMO below his potential.

Mac76
25-05-2021, 10:51 AM
i love those Willock stats:

"Has scored 3 more Premier League goals than any Arsenal player (Aubameyang and Lacazette both 5) since start of February.

In 14 Premier League games has scored 2 more goals than Joelinton has scored in 69 PL matches.

In his last 389 minutes for Newcastle United, has scored more Premier League goals (7) than Joelinton (6) has scored in 4,687 minutes."

Laca :pal:

Auba :pal:

Joelinton :haha: :haha:

I am invisible
25-05-2021, 11:00 AM
Odegard has been good - but I'm yet to be convinced that he is a player that we should go all out to get. My instinct says that there is a playmaker out there to compliment ESR that won;t cost what Real Madrid will want even if they are prepared to sell. Remember even Ceballos had one or 2 'worldy' performances.

But I don't hold it against the player that he is not trying to force a move to a team that this season has been IMO below his potential.

I really like Ødegaard, and I suspect we've only scratched the surface of what he's capable of when he's settled and established somewhere (don't forget how much he's been bounced around over the last 6 years!) and when he's not working his way back from injury. The two things I'm unsure about with him are 1) the price Madrid would want, and 2) would he rather be at Madrid (esp. if Zidane goes and Madrid pursue Haaland).

Also, he's very much a traditional 10 for me - I don't thing playing as an 8 or on the right is really the best use of his talents - and that either locks us into playing 4231 all the time if we see him as a starter, or it makes him more of a tactical option who we'd need to switch out if we wanted to change things? If it's the latter then I'm not really sure we can justify the expense atm?

I am invisible
25-05-2021, 11:07 AM
https://tbrfootball.com/newcastle-united-set-70m-allan-saint-maximin-valuation-as-steve-bruce-strives-to-raise-transfer-budget/

Fucking lol @ Newcastle if they come calling with some £10-15m bid for Willock!

IBK
25-05-2021, 11:24 AM
I really like Ødegaard, and I suspect we've only scratched the surface of what he's capable of when he's settled and established somewhere (don't forget how much he's been bounced around over the last 6 years!) and when he's not working his way back from injury. The two things I'm unsure about with him are 1) the price Madrid would want, and 2) would he rather be at Madrid (esp. if Zidane goes and Madrid pursue Haaland).

Also, he's very much a traditional 10 for me - I don't thing playing as an 8 or on the right is really the best use of his talents - and that either locks us into playing 4231 all the time if we see him as a starter, or it makes him more of a tactical option who we'd need to switch out if we wanted to change things? If it's the latter then I'm not really sure we can justify the expense atm?

Yes - agree with all that. I think Odegard is a rare player with serious potential also, but as you say we need to buy the player that it the right fit for Arsenal, and I don't think that the £50M or therabouts that has been suggested even if RM is prepared to sell if the investment that we should be making. FWIW I think that Arteta's seeming obsession with the flanks rather than through midfield hampers us - but that's another story...

I am invisible
25-05-2021, 11:57 AM
Yes - agree with all that. I think Odegard is a rare player with serious potential also, but as you say we need to buy the player that it the right fit for Arsenal, and I don't think that the £50M or therabouts that has been suggested even if RM is prepared to sell if the investment that we should be making. FWIW I think that Arteta's seeming obsession with the flanks rather than through midfield hampers us - but that's another story...

I kind of understand the obsession with the flanks, especially given where he's come from at City. Plus, to a certain extent, I think he's just been limited by what he has to work with and who's been available. I'm going to trust him on this - I think it might be one of those situations where nothing works until everything works, and that we won't really see us punching effectively through the middle until we can pull our opponents' attention in every direction at once. Over the last few years it's been far too easy to just crowd out the middle because of our ineffective right, and our left that comes and goes with Tierney's fitness.

I am invisible
26-05-2021, 07:20 AM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/12316667/willian-arsenal-midfielder-keen-on-chelsea-return-in-transfer-window

:lol:

“What’s your return policy on Willian?”

Bumble
26-05-2021, 12:40 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/12316667/willian-arsenal-midfielder-keen-on-chelsea-return-in-transfer-window

“What’s your return policy on Willian?”

we would probably have to pay for postage and packing

I am invisible
26-05-2021, 12:43 PM
we would probably have to pay for postage and packing

Nuts to that! I want the original P&P refunded too.

Bumble
27-05-2021, 10:17 AM
real betis interested in bellerin no idea how they would afford him

Chippy
27-05-2021, 12:13 PM
real betis interested in bellerin no idea how they would afford him

I am sure that they can get a loan for £20k ;)

I am invisible
27-05-2021, 12:46 PM
Keep getting linked with CBs - how does everyone feel about that?

Globalgunner
27-05-2021, 01:14 PM
Keep getting linked with CBs - how does everyone feel about that?

Like a man with a half dozen Toyotas being offered a Honda

Mac76
27-05-2021, 02:55 PM
sounds like Xhaka could be joining Moanhino at Roma :pray:

makes sense - one's a cheating overrated moaner - the other's Maureen :lol:

I am invisible
28-05-2021, 05:47 AM
Like a man with a half dozen Toyotas being offered a Honda
Yeah, it does feel a bit that way.

Not sure where I stand on it, tbh? I do think central defence needs an upgrade, but I wasn’t expecting it this summer, with everything else there is to do - thought we might just bring Saliba back in and leave it at that for now.

Chippy
28-05-2021, 07:57 AM
Yeah, it does feel a bit that way.

Not sure where I stand on it, tbh? I do think central defence needs an upgrade, but I wasn’t expecting it this summer, with everything else there is to do - thought we might just bring Saliba back in and leave it at that for now.

I would like to see Gabriel and Saliba form a good partnership next season. We would also have good back up with Holding and Co.

We need to add a good defensive midfielder and another striker to replace Laca and / or Auba.

Martinelli should be a starter in the new season. Arteta has several good young players at his disposal (Saka, Smith-Rowe, Pepe, Martinelli etc.) if he gets it right, we should be ok.

Mac76
28-05-2021, 08:35 AM
we also have Balogun up front, to whom we should start giving opportunities now he's decided to stay

Chippy
28-05-2021, 10:19 AM
we also have Balogun up front, to whom we should start giving opportunities now he's decided to stay

Yep! Good shout, I had forgotten about hime :doh:

I am invisible
28-05-2021, 12:08 PM
I would like to see Gabriel and Saliba form a good partnership next season. We would also have good back up with Holding and Co.

We need to add a good defensive midfielder and another striker to replace Laca and / or Auba.

Martinelli should be a starter in the new season. Arteta has several good young players at his disposal (Saka, Smith-Rowe, Pepe, Martinelli etc.) if he gets it right, we should be ok.

It sounds like Saliba will be with us next season and will get his chance to impress, which is great - don’t know whether I’m ready to call him a starting CB yet, though? It’s a big ask. And if he’s not ready for it quite yet, then that leaves us with no first-choice to replace Luiz and a surplus of backup-level (again!). Might need to see some action there.

As a minimum, I think we need a RB, a CB, a backup LB, a backup keeper (Ryan?), at least one CM (maybe more depending on Xhaka) and a creative / goal-scoring midfielder.

Every signing needs to be bought with a view to moving the ball from back to front much faster. No one who slows our play down or sits too deep because they don’t have the athletic profile to cover ground.

IBK
28-05-2021, 12:10 PM
It sounds like Saliba will be with us next season and will get his chance to impress, which is great - don’t know whether I’m ready to call him a starting CB yet, though? It’s a big ask. And if he’s not ready for it quite yet, then that leaves us with no first-choice to replace Luiz and a surplus of backup-level (again!). Might need to see some action there.

As a minimum, I think we need a RB, a CB, a backup LB, a backup keeper (Ryan?), at least one CM (maybe more depending on Xhaka) and a creative / goal-scoring midfielder.

Every signing needs to be bought with a view to moving the ball from back to front much faster. No one who slows our play down or sits too deep because they don’t have the athletic profile to cover ground.

Amen to that, brother!

Chippy
28-05-2021, 01:26 PM

Where do you stand on Willock?

He is doing well at Newcastle, (seven in seven) but does he fit with our style of play?

I am not sure. If Newcastle offer a good price (£30m), I would take it tbh.

Mac76
28-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Where do you stand on Willock?

He is doing well at Newcastle, (seven in seven) but does he fit with our style of play?

I am not sure. If Newcastle offer a good price (£30m), I would take it tbh.

so would I, purely on the basis that i don't trust Arteta to get the best out of him

and for the player himself, he's got a chance to go to a club where he'll start every week and be one of the main men

I am invisible
28-05-2021, 05:05 PM
So hard to make a call Willock when there’s such a massive overhaul planned - without knowing what the team’s going to look like at the end of the summer or how we want to play next year it’s almost impossible to say where / how he fits.

I am invisible
28-05-2021, 05:18 PM
Amen to that, brother!
The more I think about it, the more I think our CB interest is probably legit. That way of playing starts with ball-playing CBs with good recovery pace who can push high, and when you look at our lot there’s clearly still a lot of gaps in the profile we want. Only Saliba looks like the complete package in terms of comfort on the ball, passing range and athleticism, but he’s the youngest, least experienced and probably the most volatile of the lot...

Gooner23
02-06-2021, 01:40 PM
Only Arsenal could be trying to sign a keeper currently serving a 12 month suspension!

Bumble
02-06-2021, 09:49 PM
Linked to Sterling. Hmmm

Quality player but 1) expensive 2) will cost alot 3) can we afford it 4) other than us being a london club why would he want to join us.

Chippy
03-06-2021, 08:16 AM
Linked to Sterling. Hmmm

Quality player but 1) expensive 2) will cost alot 3) can we afford it 4) other than us being a london club why would he want to join us.

I would take Sterling all day long. But this will be our annual chase for a player and miss out at the last minute because we will not pay the extra £1.00 ;)

As I have said before, we have got a few good young players that could be the foundation of something special. We just need to sign one or two big names to get the right mix.

We can afford it, Stan is a Billionaire.

I am invisible
03-06-2021, 09:09 AM
Where does Sterling even play now? Is he still a winger, or has he made the switch to CF?

Personally, I'd only consider it if we can get Willian and one of (maybe both) Aubameyang or Lacazette off the wage bill. Otherwise I don't think we have any right to be going near anyone on £300k/wk+ wages (especially as at 26/27 his value will plummet by the end of whatever contract he signs).

Marc Overmars
03-06-2021, 09:30 AM
Where does Sterling even play now? Is he still a winger, or has he made the switch to CF?

Personally, I'd only consider it if we can get Willian and one of (maybe both) Aubameyang or Lacazette off the wage bill. Otherwise I don't think we have any right to be going near anyone on £300k/wk+ wages (especially as at 26/27 his value will plummet by the end of whatever contract he signs).

Hmm but at that age you’d think Sterling has a lot left in the tank, so it would be a more calculated move than Willian who was past it and we were just relying on his “experience”. I agree though we have to shift some big earners first before we can even think about Sterling and more big contracts

From a footballing perspective though there’s no doubt Sterling is better than every single player we have in that position. Imagine having him and Saka on either side of the pitch doing their thing?

Never going to happen but it’s silly season and we can have a bit of fun eh!

Chippy
03-06-2021, 01:01 PM
"He's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming, Kolo's coming home :doh:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-fc-transfer-news-sead-kolasinac-schalke-b938615.html

Hopefully, West Ham will want him. :rolleyes:

I am invisible
03-06-2021, 01:12 PM
Hmm but at that age you’d think Sterling has a lot left in the tank, so it would be a more calculated move than Willian who was past it and we were just relying on his “experience”. I agree though we have to shift some big earners first before we can even think about Sterling and more big contracts
feelFrom a footballing perspective though there’s no doubt Sterling is better than every single player we have in that position. Imagine having him and Saka on either side of the pitch doing their thing?

Never going to happen but it’s silly season and we can have a bit of fun eh!
Yeah, it's a nice thought.

Tbh though, I'm finding it really difficult to judge just how good / bad our attackers have been at the moment - the team has been so disjointed and unbalanced for so much of the season (playing without creatives for the first 14 games, having no first-choice RB, losing Tierney every 3rd game, having no passers in the back line when Luiz is out, problems linking midfield to attack when Partey is out, etc, etc) that it's hard to say how much of our attacking woes are actually down to them and how much is the team being dysfunctional?

I'm not even sure where Saka is going to play next season, yet? He's looked good on the right, but Pepe is also starting to find his feet there, and if we end up going for someone like Buendia then he also plays / covers that side - wouldn't be at all surprised if we see Saka back on the left next year. Wherever he plays, though, they need to keep him there - can't keep bouncing him around like this forever.

I am invisible
03-06-2021, 01:14 PM

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-fc-transfer-news-sead-kolasinac-schalke-b938615.html

Think Lazio were meant to be after him.

Whatever, though. We either sell him or pay him to fuck off - either way I don't see him being here for long.

Mac76
03-06-2021, 01:15 PM

thought you meant Kolo Toure until i read the story :lol:

bad news though, another one we need to ship out

Mac76
03-06-2021, 01:16 PM
bit surprised you're all so keen on Sterling btw, for me he seems ot have gone right off form plus he's a bit of a diver - really not sure we want to take him on at large expense

Chippy
03-06-2021, 01:53 PM
thought you meant Kolo Toure until i read the story :lol:

bad news though, another one we need to ship out

dazthegooner
03-06-2021, 02:50 PM
Matt Ryan has been released :blink:

Mac76
03-06-2021, 03:42 PM

must have shown some fighting spirit at some point, Arteta doesn't like that...

GP
03-06-2021, 06:10 PM

Yeah, his loan finished.

dazthegooner
03-06-2021, 06:43 PM
Thought his contract at Brighton had ended and we might have kept him on as a #2 unless we are on the verge of signing a new 'Keeper' though we do have Rúnarsson as back up :yikes:

Gooner23
03-06-2021, 07:46 PM
We've had an offer of 30 odd mil rejected for Buendia apparently, but expected to continue negotiations. Villa also in for him.

Guess that means a deal for Odegaard is dead as he was supposed to be Artetas first choice.

Gooner23
03-06-2021, 07:47 PM
Thought his contract at Brighton had ended and we might have kept him on as a #2 unless we are on the verge of signing a new 'Keeper' though we do have Rúnarsson as back up :yikes:

I reckon we'll sign him still. So many other positions needed, it should be a simple & cheap deal to wrap up.

Mac76
03-06-2021, 08:29 PM
I reckon we'll sign him still. So many other positions needed, it should be a simple & cheap deal to wrap up.

Yes he seemed decent enough

LDG
03-06-2021, 09:21 PM
We've had an offer of 30 odd mil rejected for Buendia apparently, but expected to continue negotiations. Villa also in for him.

Guess that means a deal for Odegaard is dead as he was supposed to be Artetas first choice.

Or it’s a sighter for Real, as we’d surely sail past that for Isengard.

Globalgunner
04-06-2021, 06:17 PM
No to Sterling for me. Dont see how he improves us by any step change. Another guy who will score a big contract and coast through it.

I am invisible
05-06-2021, 06:54 AM

Buendia would be a smart move - comfortable with both feet and gives you options all across that front line and attacking midfield. Same as Saka and ESR - any of those guys would be happy to go left , right or centre, and give you a good mix of goals, assists, running and defensive work.

Ødegaard might have to be someone we look at next summer, if we even still need him by then - clearly his head is still in Madrid, and he seems to be a little obsessed with the idea of them signing Haaland. We’ll have to see how that one works out for him.

Gooner23
05-06-2021, 05:05 PM
We've lost out to Villa on Buendia, not a great start to the summer..

I am invisible
05-06-2021, 05:30 PM
Lol! Of course we have.

What’s plan C then?

GP
05-06-2021, 05:53 PM
Who's Bendia?

Marc Overmars
05-06-2021, 06:05 PM
Can’t even sign a player from Norwich.

I am invisible
05-06-2021, 06:35 PM
Be excited.

Mac76
05-06-2021, 06:37 PM
We've lost out to Villa on Buendia, not a great start to the summer..

Tells you all you need to know about Arsenal's standing these days, Mr Fancy Pants is convincing no-one that we're going places

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2021, 10:21 PM
This is all vulgar. I won't even go into the real world details - but the best way to sum up football now is - VULGAR.

Fucking horrible. A stain on humanity.

Chippy
07-06-2021, 02:18 PM
Can’t even sign a player from Norwich.

Correction:

Cant even sign a player from Norwich. He would rather go to Aston Villa :rolleyes:

My local club Southend United are looking to sell a few players on as we were relegated to Non-League :popcorn:

I am invisible
07-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Correction:

Cant even sign a player from Norwich. He would rather go to Aston Villa :rolleyes:

My local club Southend United are looking to sell a few players on as we were relegated to Non-League :popcorn:

Yeah, but we've still got the longest pier in the UK :unsure:

Keeps Jamie Oliver at arm's length, so I guess it's good for something other than catching fire.

Gooner23
07-06-2021, 05:10 PM
Looks like Xhaka is off to Roma.

Does that leave us needing 2 centre mids or will it be Willock & AMN competing for the spots next season?

Globalgunner
07-06-2021, 07:34 PM

Does that leave us needing 2 centre mids or will it be Willock & AMN competing for the spots next season?

Dont tease me with good news rumours. Its the hope that kills

I am invisible
07-06-2021, 08:45 PM

Has to be 2 coming in...

Replacement for Ceballos - we’ve put that one off for two years now...

And a replacement for Xhaka if he goes.

Can see Willock getting a shot too, unless we’re desperate for cash.

Don’t ask what we’re looking for coming in though! Been linked to a lot of players, but almost all completely different. Hard to guess what we might do without knowing how we want to play next year?

Chippy
08-06-2021, 07:50 AM
Yeah, but we've still got the longest pier in the UK :unsure:

Keeps Jamie Oliver at arm's length, so I guess it's good for something other than catching fire.

:haha:

Letters
08-06-2021, 10:12 AM
One pier in Europe, there's only one pier in Europe :scarf:

Chippy
08-06-2021, 10:29 AM
One pier in Europe, there's only one pier in Europe :scarf:

:jumpnana::cheer:

IBK
08-06-2021, 12:51 PM
Yeah, it's a nice thought.

Tbh though, I'm finding it really difficult to judge just how good / bad our attackers have been at the moment - the team has been so disjointed and unbalanced for so much of the season (playing without creatives for the first 14 games, having no first-choice RB, losing Tierney every 3rd game, having no passers in the back line when Luiz is out, problems linking midfield to attack when Partey is out, etc, etc) that it's hard to say how much of our attacking woes are actually down to them and how much is the team being dysfunctional?

I'm not even sure where Saka is going to play next season, yet? He's looked good on the right, but Pepe is also starting to find his feet there, and if we end up going for someone like Buendia then he also plays / covers that side - wouldn't be at all surprised if we see Saka back on the left next year. Wherever he plays, though, they need to keep him there - can't keep bouncing him around like this forever.

That is a very good point. I for one don't buy the idea that Auba is shot or doesn't care, for example. He has shown movement and at times killer finishing (scoring some goals that noone apart from Pepe in our team would pull off). But as you point out our obsession with keeping possession and ponderous vertical ball movement has left us too often facing a low block with no space for him to operate in. Too many times we have resorted to crosses because we are opushed out wide. Auba will never be a Giroud - who was built far more for these situations, and in fact we have no attacking players who can effectively do so. It's no coincidence that all our attacking players have looked far far better with space to operate in, and quick ball...plus 2 proper MF's.

Mac76
08-06-2021, 01:39 PM
That is a very good point. I for one don't buy the idea that Auba is shot or doesn't care, for example. He has shown movement and at times killer finishing (scoring some goals that noone apart from Pepe in our team would pull off). But as you point out our obsession with keeping possession and ponderous vertical ball movement has left us too often facing a low block with no space for him to operate in. Too many times we have resorted to crosses because we are opushed out wide. Auba will never be a Giroud - who was built far more for these situations, and in fact we have no attacking players who can effectively do so. It's no coincidence that all our attacking players have looked far far better with space to operate in, and quick ball...plus 2 proper MF's.

i think Laca's the one best suited to it as he can turn in small spaces and hold the ball up etc. He had a good season and while i know a lot of people say get rid and i understand why, if the circumstances were right i'd be tempted to keep him around

Mac76
08-06-2021, 01:41 PM
And a replacement for Xhaka if he goes.

I'm sure there are plenty of players available who are slow, pass sideways or backwards, give the ball away plus get regularly booked and sent off

I am invisible
10-06-2021, 06:08 AM
He definitely cares - you could see how frustrated he was getting at times - but his head just hasn’t been in it this year. Too many personal problems. Honestly, I’m not sure we’ll ever see him hitting 30 goals for us again, but no way will we see a season as bad as this one from him again either.

Get cover for Tierney and settle on a LW, build out a right side to match the left (and get them both the stop hammering crosses at him in the air - on the deck, please), get the extra creative, get CMs that can move the ball faster quicker, get CBs who can play higher and allow us to keep the pressure on... it’ll help.

I can see Auba and Willock posing an interesting dual-threat, maybe in a 433, if they ever get the chance to play better: one will push defenders back, almost to their own goal line, and the other forces you to step out because if his well-timed, late runs into the box, so who do you mark? Could be useful for stretching defences vertically and causing a vital bit of indecision.

I am invisible
10-06-2021, 07:10 AM
i think Laca's the one best suited to it as he can turn in small spaces and hold the ball up etc. He had a good season and while i know a lot of people say get rid and i understand why, if the circumstances were right i'd be tempted to keep him around
He is, but with only domestic games to think about next year it feels borderline negligent to keep Laca and Auba, esp. as this is perhaps our last chance to cash in on Laca. Unfortunately it has to be him - the decision was made a year ago when we gave Auba his new deal. Unless someone takes Auba and his wages off our hands (or we have a lot more money than we know about) then it feels like we’ve already made our bed and we’re just going to have to lie in it...

Mac76
10-06-2021, 07:52 AM
He is, but with only domestic games to think about next year it feels borderline negligent to keep Laca and Auba, esp. as this is perhaps our last chance to cash in on Laca. Unfortunately it has to be him - the decision was made a year ago when we gave Auba his new deal. Unless someone takes Auba and his wages off our hands (or we have a lot more money than we know about) then it feels like we’ve already made our bed and we’re just going to have to lie in it...

yes that's more or less what i meant about the circumstances, I realise we need to cash in now, it just means it's a shame we gave Auba that deal though i can see why we did.

you don't let a 30-goal a season striker go easily.

Auba's chucked away his later career though...

I am invisible
10-06-2021, 09:50 AM
yes that's more or less what i meant about the circumstances, I realise we need to cash in now, it just means it's a shame we gave Auba that deal though i can see why we did.

you don't let a 30-goal a season striker go easily.

Auba's chucked away his later career though...
Yeah, I figured that's what you meant, but conversations are like gold dust atm, so I just wanted to keep it going ;)

There has been talk of an option of a one year extension for Laca, but I don't really see the point? It'd just be delaying the inevitable by a year, and we'd lose another big chunk of his value as he moves into his 30s.

Plus is doesn't change the math of our situation next year: unless we go all the way in both cups, we're unlikely have enough games for the both of them next year, so what's the point? Extra expense and another missed opportunity to sell for the sake of a handful of games (which should probably be going to Balogun and Martinelli anyway).

I am invisible
10-06-2021, 10:08 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of players available who are slow, pass sideways or backwards, give the ball away plus get regularly booked and sent off

Sounds like Neves is the bookies' favourite, atm.

Not sure if I buy into our rumoured interest in him / Bissouma / Berge / etc - all the noise is coming from outside the club on those ones. In fact, the only player I feel 100% confident in saying that we want is Ødegaard, and that's only because Arteta and Edu have basically said it - beyond that I haven't got a fucking clue who we might be after!

Mac76
10-06-2021, 02:40 PM
i'd be happy with Neves, he's a definite upgrade on Xhaka (not difficult obvs) and although i didn't realise he was more of a DM, that's what they're saying so i think that would be a good buy as he can also give you goals

I am invisible
10-06-2021, 03:51 PM
i'd be happy with Neves, he's a definite upgrade on Xhaka (not difficult obvs) and although i didn't realise he was more of a DM, that's what they're saying so i think that would be a good buy as he can also give you goals

Yeah, I'd be happy with Neves as *one of* the new CMs - would be a definite upgrade on Xhaka.

Very similar profile of player, but with a couple of crucial differences for me, namely his defensive stats are much better, he doesn't make the errors, he's more agile and better able to evade pressure (even if he's not blisteringly fast or powerful) and, most importantly, he moves the ball forward much, much faster! No pissing around taking half an hour to set it on his favourite foot while he picks out a safe pass - he just wins it and moves it. That results in a slightly lower passing accuracy than Xhaka's (although still good), but I could live with that if it means starting attacks quicker.

His rep for shooting from distance would also be really handy - even if he doesn't actually score that many, just the threat would be enough to pull defenders out.

I want us to go out and get a proper athlete in CM too, but I'd be OK with this if it was one of our moves.

Mac76
10-06-2021, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I'd be happy with Neves as *one of* the new CMs - would be a definite upgrade on Xhaka.

Very similar profile of player, but with a couple of crucial differences for me, namely his defensive stats are much better, he doesn't make the errors, he's more agile and better able to evade pressure (even if he's not blisteringly fast or powerful) and, most importantly, he moves the ball forward much, much faster! No pissing around taking half an hour to set it on his favourite foot while he picks out a safe pass - he just wins it and moves it. That results in a slightly lower passing accuracy than Xhaka's (although still good), but I could live with that if it means starting attacks quicker.

His rep for shooting from distance would also be really handy - even if he doesn't actually score that many, just the threat would be enough to pull defenders out.

I want us to go out and get a proper athlete in CM too, but I'd be OK with this if it was one of our moves.

:good:

Marc Overmars
10-06-2021, 06:29 PM
Sounds like Xhaka’s move to Roma is at an advanced stage.

:wave:

McNamara That Ghost...
10-06-2021, 07:24 PM
Never thought it'd happen.

Mac76
10-06-2021, 07:55 PM
Sounds like Xhaka’s move to Roma is at an advanced stage.

:wave:

:pray:

Letters
10-06-2021, 08:02 PM
:lol: Mac might find a use for his St Totts’ Day bunting yet!

I am invisible
10-06-2021, 08:04 PM
https://comb.io/Ji7Le2.gif

Letters
10-06-2021, 09:23 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57433323

Should have tried £67m and 1.

I am invisible
11-06-2021, 06:05 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57433323

Should have tried £67m and 1.
I was thinking something similar with Ek.

I am invisible
11-06-2021, 06:14 AM
Onana’s had his ban reduced by 4 months - should be available to play again ftom November, right in between the two windows, ffs. Why can’t anything ever be easy with this club?

dazthegooner
11-06-2021, 06:23 AM
Would it be possible to sign him whilst banned?

I am invisible
11-06-2021, 08:24 AM
Would it be possible to sign him whilst banned?
Yeah, I think so - he just would be allowed to so much as train with anyone until September at the earliest.

I’m really tempted - it’s an absolute joke of a price for such a quality, modern keeper - but the timing of his availability is super-awkward.

GP
11-06-2021, 08:43 AM
It's a no brainer. Sign him up.

Mac76
11-06-2021, 10:29 AM
i still think it was tough of them to ban Onana

(sorry just can't resist it... :getcoat: )

GP
11-06-2021, 10:46 AM
That's racist

Globalgunner
11-06-2021, 08:06 PM
Yes but it funny too

Gooner23
12-06-2021, 05:45 AM
Ornstein reckons we're going for Ben White but it will cost 40-50 mil. God knows where that sort of money is coming from for a position we're well stocked in.

There has been a consistent message from journos that we're after a right CB this summer though so must be some truth in it.

Either Saliba is out or I am wondering if Holding might be moved on.

I am invisible
12-06-2021, 06:31 AM
Ornstein reckons we're going for Ben White but it will cost 40-50 mil. God knows where that sort of money is coming from for a position we're well stocked in.

There has been a consistent message from journos that we're after a right CB this summer though so must be some truth in it.

Yeah, he’s not the first CB we’ve been linked with either - Kounde, Tapsoba, Adarabioyo, Andersen, etc.

I can see our CB interest being genuine - we’ve tightened up a great deal at the back, but to play the way we want to be playing we need our CB s to be athletes (maybe even more so than the CMs), confident on the ball and strong passers, and I’m not sure any of our lot are the complete package? Saliba’s actually the closest we have in terms of profile we want, but he’s got by far the least experience, so still far from ideal.

I am invisible
12-06-2021, 08:34 AM
...Either Saliba is out or I am wondering if Holding might be moved on.
I guess it’s also worth keeping in mind that Saliba has played mostly at LCB so far (even though he’s a right footer) and that we might want enough options to play 3 at the back when we need to?

Edit: fwiw I think you might be right - I’m just not feeling the love for Saliba coming out of the club - but let’s see what happens. He might come back and wow everyone and force a rethink.

Mac76
12-06-2021, 11:17 AM

Why have i never heard of Ben White - or that guy Bellingham (?) either...

Gooner23
12-06-2021, 11:40 AM
Can't say I'd noticed White this season either to be honest. Hell of a lot of money for someone with 1 season in the Prem under their belt.

Bellingham is a gem, the big English clubs missed a trick with him. He'll come back to England in a couple of years for a big fee. Not even turned 18 yet!

I am invisible
12-06-2021, 01:45 PM
I heard a lot of people raving about White when he was with Leeds in the Championship the season before last (along with Bellingham, Eze, Olise, etc) - didn’t really bother watching him, but tbf he has made it into the national side after just one full season in the Prem, so I guess he must be doing something right?

Brighton are no mugs defensively either - they just don’t have anyone who can score!

I am invisible
12-06-2021, 01:51 PM
Speaking of which, we should be all over Olise, even if we buy to loan him straight back to Reading to continue his development. He’ll either make it with us or he’ll sell for good money - either way it’s good business.

I am invisible
15-06-2021, 07:20 AM
€15m bid for Lokonga rejected by Anderlecht, but it’s opened the door for talks. Anderlecht holding out for €20m.

Chippy
15-06-2021, 11:16 AM
€15m bid for Lokonga rejected by Anderlecht, but it’s opened the door for talks. Anderlecht holding out for €20m.

Who??

I am invisible
15-06-2021, 01:35 PM
Who??

21yo Anderlecht captain. Central midfielder. Highly recommended by Vincent Kompany (who affectionately calls him "Yaya") and Henry.

Globalgunner
15-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Arsenal trying to fuck up the transfer deal for Xhaka with Roma. Holding out for more money for a near 29 year old walking clusterfuck. Just sell. Anything over £50 is a good deal.

dazthegooner
15-06-2021, 07:53 PM
Well Mourinho thinks he's a fantastic footballer and that he held the Arsenal midfield together last season :blink:

Master Splinter
15-06-2021, 09:13 PM
Xhaka may be limited, sometimes error-prone and stylistically not what most Arsenal fans would want in a midfielder. But, he was undoubtedly one of our most consistent players last season. It's also true that he's the only midfielder that was reliable over an extended period.

Mac76
15-06-2021, 09:32 PM
Xhaka may be limited, sometimes error-prone and stylistically not what most Arsenal fans would want in a midfielder. But, he was undoubtedly one of our most consistent players last season. It's also true that he's the only midfielder that was reliable over an extended period.

Consiatently shite and annoying, yes

If we don't get rid when someone else actually wants the guy it's a joke

Mac76
15-06-2021, 09:33 PM
Anything over £50 is a good deal.

I'd pay them that to take him away

I am invisible
16-06-2021, 06:26 AM
Whatever people think of him, he was at least our 2nd best midfielder last year, and maybe even our best, once you factor in Partey’s minimal game time. That’s just a fact - a sad fact, maybe, but still a fact.

Unfortunately for Xhaka he’s also cursed with a couple of problems that are always going to hold us back, so this is absolutely the right move for everyone.

I am invisible
16-06-2021, 06:27 AM
Arsenal trying to fuck up the transfer deal for Xhaka with Roma. Holding out for more money for a near 29 year old walking clusterfuck. Just sell. Anything over £50 is a good deal.
Don’t worry about the sale going, through - this is just the tabloids / click-bait sites following the usual, transfer-soap-opera script to get their money’s worth. Expect a couple more predictable “twists” before it’s done.

Mac76
16-06-2021, 06:39 AM
Don’t worry about the sale going, through - this is just the tabloids / click-bait sites following the usual, transfer-soap-opera script to get their money’s worth. Expect a couple more predictable “twists” before it’s done.

I am invisible
16-06-2021, 06:56 AM
He’s going, don’t worry about it. The club, the player and/or his agent could all have killed these stories stone dead in an instant if there was no truth to them.

Marc Overmars
16-06-2021, 03:37 PM
We’ve had a 40m bid rejected for Ben White.

Who?

Gooner23
16-06-2021, 03:55 PM
Nice to see our buy high, sell low policy is still in place.

Apparently we are interested in Ramsdale from Sheffield. I know he was in a bad team but I thought he looked really shaky this season. Definitely a down grade on Leno.

Also, Mavropanos off to Stuttgart for about 7m.

Mac76
16-06-2021, 04:10 PM
Nice to see our buy high, sell low policy is still in place.

Apparently we are interested in Ramsdale from Sheffield. I know he was in a bad team but I thought he looked really shaky this season. Definitely a down grade on Leno.

Also, Mavropanos off to Stuttgart for about 7m.

Well after Hemderson anyone would look shaky but yes he didn't look great.

And what's the bet Mav turns into a real star once someone gives him a chance

dazthegooner
16-06-2021, 06:00 PM
It seems Villa made an offer for ESR :sarcy:

GP
16-06-2021, 07:51 PM
They couldn't afford him.

Globalgunner
16-06-2021, 07:56 PM
Nobody wants to live in Birmingham

Mac76
16-06-2021, 08:59 PM

Chippy
17-06-2021, 08:45 AM

:haha:

Letters
17-06-2021, 08:46 AM

Correct. Utter shithole.

dazthegooner
17-06-2021, 09:25 AM
My Dad was born in Aston and he hated Birmingham he said when he dies if he's buried anywhere near there he would come back and haunt everyone.

Letters
17-06-2021, 10:04 AM
My Dad was born in Aston and he hated Birmingham he said when he dies if he's buried anywhere near there he would come back and haunt everyone.

I remember a couple of trips to Villa Park back in the day for FA Cup semi-finals.
Utter tip around there.

Bumble
17-06-2021, 12:19 PM
It seems Villa made an offer for ESR :sarcy:

it is interesting as it could be just a bid out of curiousity, or a bit with a idea that we might be open to the idea.

why not swap with Grealish and we give up a bit of cash.

Marc Overmars
17-06-2021, 01:31 PM
Don’t see any point in entertaining offers for ESR. He will be an important part of the team over the next few years.

Ralpheroo72
17-06-2021, 02:16 PM
We could do worse than go for Ukraine’s keeper. The bloke at Sheffield United is nowhere near this guy.

Chippy
17-06-2021, 02:20 PM
I remember a couple of trips to Villa Park back in the day for FA Cup semi-finals.
Utter tip around there.

Oh yes, me too.

FA Cup Semi-Final (83?) Arsenal 1 Man Utd 2 (watched the running battles going on outside whilst safely in the Holte End)
Villa 2 Arsenal 6 (Tony Woodcock scored 5) The train was pelted with bottles pulling out of Aston staion (it might have been you Dad's friends, lol).
Villa 3 Arsenal 2 (that was the day the parachutist hit the roof (lost us the game IMHO)

Oh the memories! ;)

Bumble
21-06-2021, 07:56 PM
Newcastle are looking to sign Willock for cash plus a player.... what player exactly would we want from newcastle? At a push Maxim perhaps but the rest make our players look dynamic

Mac76
21-06-2021, 09:07 PM
Do we have a better No.9 than Callum Wilson?

Master Splinter
21-06-2021, 09:12 PM
Time for Big Andy to come home.

I am invisible
22-06-2021, 08:29 AM
Freddie Woodman makes sense - we need a backup keeper, and we ideally want that player to be homegrown, so we don’t waste one of our valuable non-HG squad places on someone who probably isn’t going to play much.

Might be the cheapest way of doing it? Anything with ‘home-grown’ in the title usually comes at a premium (just look at the price that was mooted for Ramsdsle!) and, again, we don’t want to be spending big sums on a backup who likely won’t feature that often.

Mac76
22-06-2021, 08:49 AM
is Leno still maybe leaving? i heard he wanted to go?

dazthegooner
22-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Thought Donnarumma was available on a free apparently PSG are on the verge of signing him...

I am invisible
22-06-2021, 10:32 AM
is Leno still maybe leaving? i heard he wanted to go?

:shrug:

The impression I'm getting is that both sides would be open to him moving on, but both sides are also well aware that he could end up staying (e.g. if we can't get a replacement, or we don't receive a good enough offer for him, etc), so everyone is playing it very neutral and non-committal.

I am invisible
22-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Thought Donnarumma was available on a free apparently PSG are on the verge of signing him...

I think you count us out of that one - he'll have his pick of clubs, if he's on a free. If we can get Onana for the rumoured €2-7m then I'd call that a win.

GP
24-06-2021, 02:58 PM
We have apparently had a £50m bid accepted for Ben White.

Seems like a lot of money for a position we're pretty stacked in. Definitely wouldn't have been my priority.

Globalgunner
24-06-2021, 04:16 PM
Fools and their money are soon parted. Arteta is as clueless as a cook deployed to NASA

Sacked by Xmas. Im banking on it

Letters
24-06-2021, 04:32 PM
Arteta is as clueless as a cook deployed to NASA
:blink:

Do NASA have notoriously poor catering? :unsure:

LDG
24-06-2021, 05:31 PM
:blink:

Do NASA have notoriously poor catering? :unsure:

You try fitting a fillet steak in a red wine jus, with fondant potato and steamed vegetables into a vacume pack and make it look nice :sulk:

I am invisible
24-06-2021, 06:42 PM
Is this actually done then? Or as good as?

Bumble
24-06-2021, 06:49 PM
Is this actually done then? Or as good as?

sounds like it... very promising. seems alot although i guess it will hit 50m if we do well and win things so its probably pretty safe it wont reach that. but we are spoilt for choice at CB and i assume this means we wont be using the guy who we bought but doesnt play for us that i cant remember his name at the moment.

Globalgunner
24-06-2021, 08:29 PM
sounds like it... very promising. seems alot although i guess it will hit 50m if we do well and win things so its probably pretty safe it wont reach that. but we are spoilt for choice at CB and i assume this means we wont be using the guy who we bought but doesnt play for us that i cant remember his name at the moment.

Saliba:. Tearing it up in the French league, I hear but obviously not good enough for Arteta. Going all out to fill a vacancy that really wasnt there. Moreover, I hear this chap is barely 6ft tall, so buying us another handicap right there, unless Mr Sauce wants to deploy him as Gunnersaurus replacement in which case height wont really be an issue

Gooner23
24-06-2021, 08:51 PM
It's a strange one.

We just sold Mavropanos for peanuts as well today.

LDG
24-06-2021, 09:26 PM
It's a strange one.

We just sold Mavropanos for peanuts as well today.

I thought he looked promising. Strange times. Especially when a slap and tickle, cash no questions is rife

I am invisible
24-06-2021, 10:12 PM
Big money, but if you’re targeting the right profile of player then it becomes an investment and not an expense. These sums only start to annoy me when we start chucking them at players who are north of 26/27 because once their first contract comes to an end there’s no resale value there if we need to reinvest.

I do think this is an area that needs an upgrade, though, in spite of the number of CBs we have. We’ve been more solid over the last year or so, but a lot of the time I feel like it’s come at the expense of sitting too deep and leaving the midfield too stretched - one of the reasons we’ve struggled to link defence to attack, and often fail to maintain pressure on opponents in their half. At the moment none of our CBs are the complete package - they either lack the athleticism needed to cover distance or they lack passing ability and ball-control that’s necessary to contribute going forward.

Ironically, Saliba is probably the closest we have to the profile of defender that we want, but he has by far the least experience, and who TF knows what the state of his relationship with the club is like atm?

Mac76
25-06-2021, 08:36 AM
I thought he looked promising. Strange times. Especially when a slap and tickle, cash no questions is rife

he obviously wasn't prepared to run around enough traffic cones

I am invisible
25-06-2021, 08:55 AM

His handful of games for us were mixed, and then he seemed to spend an eternity injured, but he's looked strong for Stuttgart in his time there.

The fee does look low, but I guess if the deal includes add-ons and sell-on / buy-back clauses then I guess it might work out OK in the long-run? Plus it's not like there's a bidding war for him - if Stuttgart is the only interested party, then the price is going to drop.

(I also wonder if there's an element of repairing our relationship with Mislintat here? Greasing the wheel, just in case we ever need to raid Stuttgart for any new prospects he unearths?)

Mac76
25-06-2021, 09:13 AM
The fee does look low, but I guess if the deal includes add-ons and sell-on / buy-back clauses then I guess it might work out OK in the long-run?

:haha: this is Arsenal mate - you can guarantee none of that stuff is in there...

I am invisible
25-06-2021, 09:36 AM
Saliba:. Tearing it up in the French league, I hear but obviously not good enough for Arteta. Going all out to fill a vacancy that really wasnt there. Moreover, I hear this chap is barely 6ft tall, so buying us another handicap right there, unless Mr Sauce wants to deploy him as Gunnersaurus replacement in which case height wont really be an issue

Mate, don't let the Saliba mess cloud your opinion of White - he's a very good player. Haven't read a bad word about him so far, and both Brighton and Leeds fans think we're getting a bargain, even at £50m. He was one of the stand-out players in the Championship with Leeds, thriving in a high-intensity Bielsa system, and in his first season in the Prem he was voted Brighton's POTY by their fans and called up into the England squad for the Euros. Plus I rate Potter as one of the best structural coaches in the league, so that bodes well for him coming in to work under Arteta.

I think we need to look at this in terms of the defence as a whole rather than just a straight choice between White and Saliba: can our main CB group of Gabriel, Holding, Mari and Saliba be upgraded by bringing in White? If the answer is yes (and for me it is) then we bring him in, no questions. If the weakest link then gets pushed out then that's their problem.

Let's see how things go when Saliba returns for preseason - I agree that it's not looking great, but I haven't completely given up on his time here yet. If he comes back determined to show everyone that he deserves to be here then who knows? It might end up being one of the other CBs who goes? I wouldn't even rule out keeping all 5 of them if we want the tactical flexibility to switch between a back 2 and a back 3. (Plus Mari seems to spend a lot of time out injured, so it may not be the worst idea in the world to have an extra man in there.)

I am invisible
25-06-2021, 09:51 AM
:haha: this is Arsenal mate - you can guarantee none of that stuff is in there...

I'm sure we used to regularly insert sell-on clauses into sales, didn't we? I was always getting 'Arsenal receive unexpected windfall' stories popping up on my news feeds at one point?

Hopefully the fact that we're will to spend £50m on White is a sign that attitudes towards player investment are starting to shift somewhere with the club.

Mac76
25-06-2021, 10:15 AM
I'm sure we used to regularly insert sell-on clauses into sales, didn't we? I was always getting 'Arsenal receive unexpected windfall' stories popping up on my news feeds at one point?

Hopefully the fact that we're will to spend £50m on White is a sign that attitudes towards player investment are starting to shift somewhere with the club.

'used to' is right, but that was before the Raul era, since then i think we've made some really bad deals - or else just let people like Ramsey go for nothing

I am invisible
25-06-2021, 12:23 PM
'used to' is right, but that was before the Raul era, since then i think we've made some really bad deals - or else just let people like Ramsey go for nothing

They weren't just bad - some of them sound like they were borderline criminal! The Pepe deal without a doubt, but the more I look at it the dodgier the Saliba deal looks too? Wouldn't be surprised if there were others if someone really dug into it.

Bumble
25-06-2021, 12:30 PM
I quite like that Kalvin Phillips.... never really noticed him before playing for England but seems a strong CM versatile can sit deep plus be a creative force.

obviously he would be expensive and wont happen but would definitely add something to our midfield.

Mac76
25-06-2021, 12:34 PM
I quite like that Kalvin Phillips.... never really noticed him before playing for England but seems a strong CM versatile can sit deep plus be a creative force.

obviously he would be expensive and wont happen but would definitely add something to our midfield.

i agree but i'm sure a lot of clubs are saying the same - he may well not be at Leeds next season

GP
25-06-2021, 02:53 PM

He would get sent off 73 times a season if he was an Arsenal player.

Globalgunner
25-06-2021, 03:46 PM
He would also have to get rid of that obnoxious man-bun

Mac76
25-06-2021, 03:54 PM

Likewise there's no way Grealish is coming here until he's had a short back and sides :sulk:

Globalgunner
25-06-2021, 04:16 PM
Im deadly serious man. I hate girly haircuts on a dude. We dont want his sort around here

Mac76
25-06-2021, 05:20 PM
Im deadly serious man. I hate girly haircuts on a dude. We dont want his sort around here

I'm serious too - no haircut, no Grealish

Letters
25-06-2021, 05:37 PM

Petit :bow:

And Seaman had a ponytail phase too.

I am invisible
25-06-2021, 05:49 PM
Also :gp:

I am invisible
25-06-2021, 05:55 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwu5K_eRN3E

I am invisible
25-06-2021, 06:02 PM
This kind of slipped under the radar…

https://arseblog.news/2021/06/confirmed-kieran-tierney-signs-new-contract/

I mean, I knew we were looking to extend, but that really has been wrapped up with no fuss…

I am invisible
25-06-2021, 06:05 PM
Guess we won’t be getting a good look at Saliba in preseason after all then…

https://arseblog.news/2021/06/saliba-to-miss-pre-season-following-olympic-nod/

Globalgunner
25-06-2021, 06:07 PM
Petit :bow:

And Seaman had a ponytail phase too.

Ill make exceptions for legends

Mac76
25-06-2021, 06:19 PM
This kind of slipped under the radar…

https://arseblog.news/2021/06/confirmed-kieran-tierney-signs-new-contract/

I mean, I knew we were looking to extend, but that really has been wrapped up with no fuss…

"Following Scotland’s exit from Euro 2020, Tierney is now set for a bit of a break." :haha:

Anyway, great re-signing :clap:

Gooner23
28-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Villa have made a new 30 million bid for ESR, which has obviously been rejected.

Such a weird one, either they are trolling or have heard something with regards to his contract extension talks. My guess would be his agent playing games to try and bump up his salary.

I am invisible
28-06-2021, 11:45 AM
Villa have made a new 30 million bid for ESR, which has obviously been rejected.

Such a weird one, either they are trolling or have heard something with regards to his contract extension talks. My guess would be his agent playing games to try and bump up his salary.
Probably just Villa trying to appease their fans before Grealish is sold to City.

Thank you for your interest in our affairs. Rejected.

Mac76
28-06-2021, 12:51 PM

it wouldn't surprise me if your agent theory was true

IBK
28-06-2021, 03:55 PM
Big money, but if you’re targeting the right profile of player then it becomes an investment and not an expense. These sums only start to annoy me when we start chucking them at players who are north of 26/27 because once their first contract comes to an end there’s no resale value there if we need to reinvest.

I do think this is an area that needs an upgrade, though, in spite of the number of CBs we have. We’ve been more solid over the last year or so, but a lot of the time I feel like it’s come at the expense of sitting too deep and leaving the midfield too stretched - one of the reasons we’ve struggled to link defence to attack, and often fail to maintain pressure on opponents in their half. At the moment none of our CBs are the complete package - they either lack the athleticism needed to cover distance or they lack passing ability and ball-control that’s necessary to contribute going forward.

Ironically, Saliba is probably the closest we have to the profile of defender that we want, but he has by far the least experience, and who TF knows what the state of his relationship with the club is like atm?

This. Let's remember that for all his high profile head rushes, Luis was pretty instrumental to our ball progression last season when we did play well last season. If White's ability in this respect is a good as his rep, then he is being purchased as a premier league ready replacement for one of our most important positions/players in Arteta's system of playing. I don't think you take a punt on a 19? year old who is simply not tested in this league (League 1 not nearly as challenging) to fill this key position. Price seems high - but all English players seem to command a 20/30% premium. I would like to see Saliba play, but many of those demanding for him would be the first to criticise taking a risk with a club of our stauture if he was not up to it within a short period.

That's not to say the whole Saliba deal doesn't look like a fiasco, but the question of what we need at CB if we are to hit the ground running nextseason is a slightly different one, despite the fact that this is Saliba's position.

Gooner23
28-06-2021, 04:39 PM
£35m for Ramsdale :haha:

Surely has to be a wind up.

GP
28-06-2021, 05:22 PM
I'd sooner give Son of Runar a go.

I am invisible
28-06-2021, 10:15 PM
This. Let's remember that for all his high profile head rushes, Luis was pretty instrumental to our ball progression last season when we did play well last season. If White's ability in this respect is a good as his rep, then he is being purchased as a premier league ready replacement for one of our most important positions/players in Arteta's system of playing. I don't think you take a punt on a 19? year old who is simply not tested in this league (League 1 not nearly as challenging) to fill this key position. Price seems high - but all English players seem to command a 20/30% premium. I would like to see Saliba play, but many of those demanding for him would be the first to criticise taking a risk with a club of our stauture if he was not up to it within a short period.

That's not to say the whole Saliba deal doesn't look like a fiasco, but the question of what we need at CB if we are to hit the ground running nextseason is a slightly different one, despite the fact that this is Saliba's position.

It’s interesting - everyone now seems to be fully onboard with the idea of your forwards being your first line of defence, but a big chunk of the footballing world (esp. the pundits!) still seem to really struggle with the idea of your defence, and particularly your CBs, being your first line of attack? It’s not just about playing out from the back - the best CBs in the best teams can also evade pressure, carry the ball like a midfielder, and they have the athleticism to push high enough to keep pressure on opponents (by reducing the distance that their attackers and midfielders have to cover when pressing, and by being on the spot to play the ball straight back in if the ball spills out to them).

Of last year’s CB options, only Gabriel really has that pace and athleticism to play high, and he’s not the best on the ball when pressured. Luiz, for all his quality on the ball, forced us to sit too deep because of his ageing legs and could self-destruct at any moment. And Holding and Mari are just solid defenders who offer nothing much going the other way.

Unless there’s something really dodgy in the Saliba deal that we’re trying to cover up, or the kid has a major case of the Guendouzis about him, then I’d be inclined to keep him AND bring in White - sell one of the others if it comes to it.

IBK
29-06-2021, 10:45 AM

It’s interesting - everyone now seems to be fully onboard with the idea of your forwards being your first line of defence, but a big chunk of the footballing world (esp. the pundits!) still seem to really struggle with the idea of your defence, and particularly your CBs, being your first line of attack? It’s not just about playing out from the back - the best CBs in the best teams can also evade pressure, carry the ball like a midfielder, and they have the athleticism to push high enough to keep pressure on opponents (by reducing the distance that their attackers and midfielders have to cover when pressing, and by being on the spot to play the ball straight back in if the ball spills out to them).

Of last year’s CB options, only Gabriel really has that pace and athleticism to play high, and he’s not the best on the ball when pressured. Luiz, for all his quality on the ball, forced us to sit too deep because of his ageing legs and could self-destruct at any moment. And Holding and Mari are just solid defenders who offer nothing much going the other way.

Unless there’s something really dodgy in the Saliba deal that we’re trying to cover up, or the kid has a major case of the Guendouzis about him, then I’d be inclined to keep him AND bring in White - sell one of the others if it comes to it.

Agreed. Unfortunately I do think there is more going on re Saliba than meets the eye, but I would be inclined to kep him as a backup choice to the first defensive pairing of Gabriel and White and get rid of one of Holding/Mari. It isn't difficult to see why a Saliba/Gabriel or Saliba/Holding or Mari pairing is not the way we should be going into next season...

Good point re getting your defenders upfield too - our lack of solid options to do so last season is part of why we failed to stretch teams a lot of the time, and why we offered space in between the lines for oppsoition teams to exploit.

Gooner23
29-06-2021, 11:15 AM
We are close to signing Nuno Tavares, young left back from Benfica, and Lokonga from Anderlecht. Two promising young players on relatively low fees.

At least feel reassured by the profile of player we are targeting this summer. No more OAPs looking for their last pay out!

I am invisible
29-06-2021, 12:21 PM
Agreed. Unfortunately I do think there is more going on re Saliba than meets the eye, but I would be inclined to kep him as a backup choice to the first defensive pairing of Gabriel and White and get rid of one of Holding/Mari. It isn't difficult to see why a Saliba/Gabriel or Saliba/Holding or Mari pairing is not the way we should be going into next season...

Good point re getting your defenders upfield too - our lack of solid options to do so last season is part of why we failed to stretch teams a lot of the time, and why we offered space in between the lines for oppsoition teams to exploit.
Who knows, we might want all of them for next season? The extra man would come in handy if we want to play 3 at the back at times, and Mari certainly seems to spend a lot of time on the treatment table.

Tbh, a final loan to a PL side would probably be the ideal next step for Saliba’s development, but I have no idea how you’d even go about starting that conversation with him after last summer’s debacle! Plus I’m not sure I’d want to send him on another loan without getting him to extend his contract first… and I don’t see that happening if we send him on another loan!

I am invisible
29-06-2021, 12:42 PM
We are close to signing Nuno Tavares, young left back from Benfica, and Lokonga from Anderlecht. Two promising young players on relatively low fees.

At least feel reassured by the profile of player we are targeting this summer. No more OAPs looking for their last pay out!

Yeah, the profiles have looked good so far - no one above 25, but no one ridiculously young either. Ideal.

Fair play to Edu on the contract work, too - I still have my doubts about him, but tbf he’s quietly and efficiently tied Martinelli (last year), Saka, Balogun and Tierney down to new deals, and managed to bin-off all the trouble-makers (something no one else has managed to do). If he can get ESR signed up and find a new home for Willian then that will go a long way to winning me over.

IBK
29-06-2021, 01:05 PM
Who knows, we might want all of them for next season? The extra man would come in handy if we want to play 3 at the back at times, and Mari certainly seems to spend a lot of time on the treatment table.

Tbh, a final loan to a PL side would probably be the ideal next step for Saliba’s development, but I have no idea how you’d even go about starting that conversation with him after last summer’s debacle! Plus I’m not sure I’d want to send him on another loan without getting him to extend his contract first… and I don’t see that happening if we send him on another loan!

Can't see us not selling one or even 2 of our current 4 (including - Callum chambers here). Saliba has to stay or be sold. I don't think a loan is feasible. Its suh a shame that we fucked up with him last Summer - and I have doubts about (a) Saliba's desire to play for us any more and (b) how much Arteta cares about that.

Also - agreed #Gooner 23 - now we have all calmed down re Buendia the profiles of the players we are properly linked with is good - and suggests that the potential White deal - though lots of cash - is at least part of a properly considered strategy...

I am invisible
30-06-2021, 06:10 AM
…Also - agreed #Gooner 23 - now we have all calmed down re Buendia the profiles of the players we are properly linked with is good - and suggests that the potential White deal - though lots of cash - is at least part of a properly considered strategy...
I tell you what else has made a welcome change, and that’s having a range of targets identified for each area (assuming most of the links we’ve seen are accurate).

Although at this point I really couldn’t say what the plan is for RB and the attacking / creative midfielder? Maddison just doesn’t feel like it will go anywhere, and the news sites seem to be really struggling to guess our RB targets.

Gooner23
30-06-2021, 06:59 AM
I tell you what else has made a welcome change, and that’s having a range of targets identified for each area (assuming most of the links we’ve seen are accurate).

Although at this point I really couldn’t say what the plan is for RB and the attacking / creative midfielder? Maddison just doesn’t feel like it will go anywhere, and the news sites seem to be really struggling to guess our RB targets.

Feel like Arteta really likes Chambers at RB. With Cedric as cover it could be bottom of the priority list when it comes to new signings. If we get White done, centre mid & attacking mid has to be the priority.

The one link I am really not keen on is Ramsdale, especially the reported fee (£35m) which suggests he would be a replacement for Leno, not a back up. When you consider we let Martinez go for less than that, it really would be a massive downgrade in that position over a 12 month period.

IBK
30-06-2021, 12:41 PM
Agreed. Not keen on Ramsdale as 1st choice GK.

Mac76
30-06-2021, 03:36 PM
me neither, it's a downgrade for sure

Marc Overmars
30-06-2021, 06:55 PM
United have agreed a deal with Dortmund for Sancho.

73m, not bad really in this day and age.

Niall_Quinn
30-06-2021, 07:33 PM
73 million quid. Enough to fund a hospital for months. Not really bad? It's so far beyond bad it doesn't register on any scale that makes any sense. I bet the cunt can't even take a corner.

Letters
30-06-2021, 07:59 PM
:lol: You can have that one. These silly amounts for players who honestly aren't that great makes it all very hard to take seriously.

I am invisible
01-07-2021, 06:40 AM
Crazy! You could have signed Pepe for that kind of money.

I am invisible
01-07-2021, 06:52 AM
Arsenal in for Locatelli?

https://arseblog.news/2021/07/sassuolo-director-says-arsenal-have-made-important-proposal-for-locatelli/

Juventus also showing interest, so he’ll likely end up there, although they’re also showing late interest in Xhaka, so maybe they’re eyeing him as a more cost-effective alternative?

Letters
01-07-2021, 09:41 AM
You know what to do, Mikel...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57666280

dazthegooner
01-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Don't think he's got £600k tax free lying around to pay him me thinks. :unsure:

I am invisible
01-07-2021, 10:34 AM
Don't think he's got £600k tax free lying around to pay him me thinks. :unsure:

Sadly, we could probably easily afford it just by getting Özil, Willian and Kolasinac off the books. Plus you wouldn't need both Auba and Laca in that fantasy scenario...

dazthegooner
01-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Yep and at his age he will probably be injured more often than not, maybe we could also sign Ramsey and get them both adjourning beds during treatment ;)

Globalgunner
01-07-2021, 05:57 PM
He will certaily need lots of downtime for treatment after Maguire and Rudiger have shown him what's what.

GP
01-07-2021, 06:18 PM
Messi?

Just an Argie Elneny

Ralpheroo72
01-07-2021, 10:52 PM
73 million quid. Enough to fund a hospital for months. Not really bad? It's so far beyond bad it doesn't register on any scale that makes any sense. I bet the cunt can't even take a corner.

If we spent 73M on a hospital, it would certainly come in useful with our history of injuries. Sign da ting!

I am invisible
02-07-2021, 03:07 PM
OK, so now Saliba isn't going to the Olympics...

https://arseblog.news/2021/07/tokyo-no-go-for-saliba-as-france-update-olympics-squad/

I am invisible
03-07-2021, 07:02 AM
Update: looks like he’s going on a season-long loan to Marseille.

Not sure how I feel about that? The loan is the right choice for his development - at 20 he needs regular games and not a place on our bench - but a Prem side would have better this time. (I’m especially not happy about him having Guendouzi in his ear all year, if he’d ends up there too.) Saliba’s choice though - reports say he was given several options and that’s the one he picked.

Globalgunner
03-07-2021, 11:59 AM
The lad obviously wants to stay as far away from Arteta as is physically possible. Less chance of Arteta rocking up at any of his matches and putting him off his game.

Chances are Lego hair will be gone by Xmas anyway. Im hoping so anyway.

Mac76
03-07-2021, 01:03 PM
just ludicrous to pay £28m for a player we then decide isn't good enough for several seasons - even though he probably is.

Marc Overmars
03-07-2021, 02:14 PM
Just chalk him up as another name we’ve wasted a fortune on over recent years.

I am invisible
03-07-2021, 03:38 PM
Raul paid £28m for him in another deal that’s looking dodgier by the day. I think Edu had been here something like 16 days when Saliba signed so I doubt he had much to do with it. Arteta certainly didn’t.

At this point everyone just needs to forget the fee and focus on what is best for the development of a talented but still very young player. The fee wasn’t the player’s doing, and it wasn’t the doing of anyone at the club now - it’s just another entry in the long list of terrible deals that have been allowed to happen under KSE’s watch.

In terms of his development, a season-long loan is definitely the right move for him. He’s probably good enough to be part of our first-team squad now, if we’re only looking at raw talent, but he needs to get minutes in his legs and show that he can maintain form, focus, stamina and professionalism across a whole season (and I think a lot of players miss that point when we send them out on loan: we know what we need to about them talent-wise by that point - what we’re looking to see is how they conduct themselves professionally and whether we can count on them before we stake our season on them). So far he hasn’t played more than half a season anywhere.

We bought him off the back of just 13 starts in the tail-end of his first season for St Etienne. Then he missed more than half of his loan-back season through injury and the pandemic. Then he missed half of last season through no fault of his own (it’s now come out that we did in fact have a season-long loan arranged for him with Rennes last summer, only for them to pull the plug on the last day of the window and bring Rugani in instead, leaving us with no time to arrange anything else). And before anyone says the full-season test doesn’t matter, just look how Gabriel, who is 3 years ahead of him in his development, fell away in he second half of last season after such a strong start.

Also worth noting that Saliba was given the choice of which loan move he wanted, and he opted for the comfort and familiarity of a move back to France instead of one the PL options that were on the table - that tells me that the player himself maybe doesn’t believe that he’s quite ready for the step up to the Prem yet, in spite of what he might say.

I am invisible
03-07-2021, 05:04 PM
Guendouzi also agrees a 4 year deal with Marseilles…

https://arseblog.news/2021/07/report-marseille-agree-deal-for-guendouzi/

€11m in total (loan with an obligation).

Honestly, best of luck to the kid - I genuinely hope he manages to find that bit of maturity he needs to make something of what could still be a promising career. Don’t fuck this one up.

Globalgunner
03-07-2021, 05:31 PM
The Turkish club president that we transferred Ozil too claimed that he hasnt cost them a penny in wages since he arrived, so we havent even got that load off our wage bill either. We owed Ozil plenty give that we refused him a testimonial. We are probably paying for his leg and armpit waxing till today. This club is run by morons. The stupidity amd sleaze didnt end when dodgy Raul left

I am invisible
04-07-2021, 07:08 AM
The Turkish club president that we transferred Ozil too claimed that he hasnt cost them a penny in wages since he arrived, so we havent even got that load off our wage bill either. We owed Ozil plenty give that we refused him a testimonial. We are probably paying for his leg and armpit waxing till today. This club is run by morons. The stupidity amd sleaze didnt end when dodgy Raul left
Not much the current people could do about Özil - we were tucked up by the deal that Ivan handed him and unfortunately contract law was well and truly on his side (and he knew it).

Where the current management team will have major questions to answer is if they fail to learn anything from handing out that kind of deal. Signing Willian was an ominous start (although I think that might also have happened under Raul… just?), but I’ll be encouraged if we move him on at the first chance we get. That transfer has turned out to be a massive mistake, but at least it would show that they’re prepared to acknowledge it and deal with it, which is more than we’ve had for years…

dazthegooner
04-07-2021, 07:40 AM
Think the biggest problem getting rid of Willian isn't a transfer fee (Don't think we're asking for one) but with his massive wages he isn't looking to take a pay cut and clubs are not prepared to pay it.

Mac76
04-07-2021, 09:33 AM
Not much the current people could do about Özil - we were tucked up by the deal that Ivan handed him and unfortunately contract law was well and truly on his side (and he knew it).

Where the current management team will have major questions to answer is if they fail to learn anything from handing out that kind of deal. Signing Willian was an ominous start (although I think that might also have happened under Raul… just?), but I’ll be encouraged if we move him on at the first chance we get. That transfer has turned out to be a massive mistake, but at least it would show that they’re prepared to acknowledge it and deal with it, which is more than we’ve had for years…

Willian was post-Raul, it was all Edu and Arteta's doing - for me it's much worse than the Ozil deal, at least the guy could play but small-dicked managers like Emery and Arteta didn't like his lack of desire to run around enough traffic cones.

Willian was a blatantly stupid signing on far too high a wage and for far too long a period, of a player who's past it

And now we're paying for it big-time

I just hope we can offload Xhaka given his Euros performances, plus some others, hopefully things will be moving now the Euros is over for many players

dazthegooner
04-07-2021, 10:36 AM
Well according to reports Villa are preparing a £32.5m bid for Smith-Rowe and we may interested https://tbrfootball.com/report-aston-villa-plan-another-bid-for-arsenal-star-emile-smith-rowe/ Where would we get a player of the same age with as much potential that's also English? it wouldn't make any sense...

Mac76
04-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Well according to reports Villa are preparing a £32.5m bid for Smith-Rowe and we may interested https://tbrfootball.com/report-aston-villa-plan-another-bid-for-arsenal-star-emile-smith-rowe/ Where would we get a player of the same age with as much potential that's also English? it wouldn't make any sense...

it will be a clear sign we have no ambition if we sell a player of his quality

rodders
04-07-2021, 11:23 AM
What on earth has this club come to? Reports that Villa actually believe that Smith-Rowe think that he has a better future with Villa than with Arsenal.

Mac76
04-07-2021, 02:27 PM
What on earth has this club come to? Reports that Villa actually believe that Smith-Rowe think that he has a better future with Villa than with Arsenal.

probably right - Arteta will probably end up still having to find a place for Willian

I am invisible
04-07-2021, 04:18 PM
Willian was post-Raul, it was all Edu and Arteta's doing - for me it's much worse than the Ozil deal, at least the guy could play but small-dicked managers like Emery and Arteta didn't like his lack of desire to run around enough traffic cones.

Willian was a blatantly stupid signing on far too high a wage and for far too long a period, of a player who's past it

And now we're paying for it big-time

I just hope we can offload Xhaka given his Euros performances, plus some others, hopefully things will be moving now the Euros is over for many players
Willian was announced on 14 Aug and Raul left (/ was pushed) the next day, so all of the talks and offers would have happened under his rule. I don’t doubt that Arteta and Edu had a big hand in identifying him as a target, and that’s obviously turned out to be a terrible call, but as you say it’s the deal that we gave him that was the real disaster - 3 years on that kind of money for a guy in his 30s was criminal!

Arteta wouldn’t have had any say in that side of it - he was still just a head coach at that point (and even now I don’t think it’s his responsibility). Edu? Maybe, although it’s unclear how much leash he really had under Raul - not sure he was ever meant to be anything more than a face to distract from what was really happening. Given what we now know, this whole thing wreaks of another one of Raul’s shady “contacts” deals. Could have even been the proverbial straw that ended him?

Don’t get me started on Özil - it’s too close to the end of the weekend!

I am invisible
04-07-2021, 04:36 PM
Think the biggest problem getting rid of Willian isn't a transfer fee (Don't think we're asking for one) but with his massive wages he isn't looking to take a pay cut and clubs are not prepared to pay it.
Yeah, I don’t expect this one will happen quickly - not unless, by some miracle, some club comes out of nowhere and offers us a fee and Willian the wages he wants. Otherwise I expect this will go to the final day, as everyone holds out for whatever they can get.

If anyone blinks first, though, it will probably have to be us - we need that valuable non-HG squad place back to get on with our business, so our need is most urgent. Another waste of space we’ll probably end up subsidising, ffs.

Bumble
04-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I don’t expect this one will happen quickly - not unless, by some miracle, some club comes out of nowhere and offers us a fee and Willian the wages he wants. Otherwise I expect this will go to the final day, as everyone holds out for whatever they can get.

If anyone blinks first, though, it will probably have to be us - we need that valuable non-HG squad place back to get on with our business, so our need is most urgent. Another waste of space we’ll probably end up subsidising, ffs.
it probably be a case of us covering part of his wages at his new club to get him off our books which i would still take. he was a good player at chelsea i thought. he is rubbish with us.