PDA

View Full Version : Partey and the Midfield

Chippy
07-10-2021, 10:19 AM
In recent weeks (before the Brighton game), we saw glimpses of how our team can put together some good performances (especially against the scum).

Much of this was down to our young players (ESR, Saka, Gabriel etc.).

What is still concerning me is how very ordinary our midfield is when the aforementioned players are not carrying Partey and Odegaard.

The question is, if Partey has still not improved and become the influntial midfielder that we expected at 28, is it time to cash in? In addition, I honestly believe that Odegaard was a bit of a panic buy and rarely shows he is the man for the job.

Brighton were carving through our midfield last Saturday with ease and in fairness, it was only our good defensive performance that we got a 0-0 draw.

Lokonga is only 21 and SHOULD improve. Thus far however, I am not impressed:(

Mac76
07-10-2021, 11:41 AM
Odegaard has good games and bad games, that's true

Partey is generally good IMO but his shooting is appalling and starting to get really annoying because every time he does it he's breaking up our own attacks - it was ridiculous in the Brighton game

Lokonga looks ok to me and tbh i do think it's too early to tell - they're not just young, but also haven't played together much

the reason Saka and ESR work better is they know each other from the Academy

Chippy
07-10-2021, 12:15 PM
Odegaard has good games and bad games, that's true

Partey is generally good IMO but his shooting is appalling and starting to get really annoying because every time he does it he's breaking up our own attacks - it was ridiculous in the Brighton game

Lokonga looks ok to me and tbh i do think it's too early to tell - they're not just young, but also haven't played together much

the reason Saka and ESR work better is they know each other from the Academy

I believe that you have hit the nail on the head there, Mac.

"Partey is Generally good" "Lokonga looks ok".........

We have settled for this kind of player / performances over the last few years, you can include Pepe into that mix.

Mac76
07-10-2021, 01:40 PM
I believe that you have hit the nail on the head there, Mac.

"Partey is Generally good" "Lokonga looks ok".........

We have settled for this kind of player / performances over the last few years, you can include Pepe into that mix.

fair point, maybe I'm settling for mediocrity now...

Pepe's a good player who's never been given a proper exptended run in the team adn Arteta should use him more as a sub and also to reotate him with Saka - instead of running Saka into the ground like he is at the moment

IBK
07-10-2021, 02:08 PM
fair point, maybe I'm settling for mediocrity now...

Pepe's a good player who's never been given a proper exptended run in the team adn Arteta should use him more as a sub and also to reotate him with Saka - instead of running Saka into the ground like he is at the moment

This. I am not saying that Pepe is worth his price tag but he is the best finisher we have (and I include Aubameyang in this), and his style of play introduces unpredictability in our build up. I know he can infuriate, but when he was playing regularly his tracking back had much improved, and he has always performed when given a run in the team. My concern is that Arteta's rigid style is excluding him, while leaving us vulnerable to the high press and making us too predictable. He should find a place for Pepe.

As for Partey and Odegard, I think its way to soon to pass judgment. Odergard sucked last weekend - but this was in a large part because our long balls were going over his head and picked up every time by the giants in Brighton's defence. He is a playmaker not an old fashioned centre forward. he is also young and will have off games. Partey wasn't great either and has never hit the heights that we had hoped...yet. I think however that its no coicidence that his best games have been with Xhaka alongside him, and he has not enjoyed any kind of settled MF partnership without Xhaka. ATM I think that the only legitimate criticism of Partey is that he is not changing games like Saturday's on his own - but it is very difficult when we are prevented from playing out from the back by the other team, and revert to long ball football that only contiunually concedes possession to them.

Marc Overmars
07-10-2021, 03:42 PM
I think Partey has been a huge disappointment considering how happy we were when he signed. He just hasn’t managed to get going but granted injuries have played a huge part in that.

Hopefully he’s over all those troubles now and we see more of that dynamism that we’ve only really seen in cameos so far.

Chippy
18-10-2021, 09:48 PM
In recent weeks (before the Brighton game), we saw glimpses of how our team can put together some good performances (especially against the scum).

Much of this was down to our young players (ESR, Saka, Gabriel etc.).

What is still concerning me is how very ordinary our midfield is when the aforementioned players are not carrying Partey and Odegaard.

The question is, if Partey has still not improved and become the influntial midfielder that we expected at 28, is it time to cash in? In addition, I honestly believe that Odegaard was a bit of a panic buy and rarely shows he is the man for the job.

Brighton were carving through our midfield last Saturday with ease and in fairness, it was only our good defensive performance that we got a 0-0 draw.

Lokonga is only 21 and SHOULD improve. Thus far however, I am not impressed:(
This.

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2021, 11:40 PM
Partey is pure shit though, isn't he? Anyone could see that when he made his debut. ESR is the opposite. It's easier than ever to spot a decent player, mainly because there are so few of them but also because the gap between rare competence and almost absolute incompetence has become a gulf. We have Saka and ESR, Auba if he can be bothered. These are players that could have played 20 years ago and not been laughed off the pitch. The rest of them? It's a joke. A very expensive piss take.

Letters
19-10-2021, 07:33 AM
Partey is pure shit though, isn't he? Anyone could see that when he made his debut. ESR is the opposite. It's easier than ever to spot a decent player, mainly because there are so few of them but also because the gap between rare competence and almost absolute incompetence has become a gulf. We have Saka and ESR, Auba if he can be bothered. These are players that could have played 20 years ago and not been laughed off the pitch. The rest of them? It's a joke. A very expensive piss take.

Rare I agree with you 100% but I do here.
Partey is hopeless. I mean, not in a “how is he making it in the professional game?” way, but £45m? For that?! Wasn’t he touted as the new Vieira? :lol: He’s not fit to lace Vieira’s boots.
There are some decent players around, you’ve mentioned a few, but 90% of them are very very ordinary. You’ve got very average players these days being sold for tens of millions and earning six figures a week. It’s mental.

Emperor’s New Clothes

Letters
19-10-2021, 07:46 AM
Just to add, I saw the highlights of the Leicester bs ManYoo game this morning.
That Leicester goal where Maguire just stands there waiting for the ball to come to him while the Leicester player nips in and gets it which led directly to the goal.
Maguire was what, £80m?! What a fraud.

Marc Overmars
19-10-2021, 08:43 AM
Partey is proof it doesn’t really matter who we sign anymore. Bring anyone into this sterile club and they’ll swiftly lose whatever talent and drive they previously had.

WMUG
19-10-2021, 08:44 AM
Just to add, I saw the highlights of the Leicester bs ManYoo game this morning.
That Leicester goal where Maguire just stands there waiting for the ball to come to him while the Leicester player nips in and gets it which led directly to the goal.
Maguire was what, £80m?! What a fraud.

He'd been rushed back from injury by his moron of a manager, hard to blame him for that specific game.

Mac76
19-10-2021, 09:54 AM
Partey is proof it doesn’t really matter who we sign anymore. Bring anyone into this sterile club and they’ll swiftly lose whatever talent and drive they previously had.

kind of agree, it's hard to forgive the wayward shooting but overall everyone looked pretty aimless yesterday and just making it up as they went along, as usual no plan, no structure

for example Pepe was really bright but ended up being isolated and not able to get as much into the game despite working to track back and defend

dazthegooner
19-10-2021, 10:22 AM
Same with Martinelli he was in the corner twisting and turning no way through and not one teammate was near to help, not even Tierney and we were 2-1 down at the time.

Mac76
19-10-2021, 11:00 AM
Same with Martinelli he was in the corner twisting and turning no way through and not one teammate was near to help, not even Tierney and we were 2-1 down at the time.

yes that was bad, no teamwork at all, the crowd were getting really annoyed at that

Bumble
19-10-2021, 12:49 PM

i thought that as well. why wasnt anyone trying to help. it was a risky situation as they couldnt score from there.

but it shows a brittle team. so few want to stand up and be counted.

we have spent alot of money on young players. they will take time to bed in properly. some will be duds and some will be good. do we have patience as fans. would a change of manager make any difference - would a change mean a change of direction and having another couple of years to overhaul the squad.

also what sort of midfielder is partey... i was hoping he was a powerful domineering type but that doesnt seem to be the case. he isnt defensive and he isnt offensive.

Chippy
19-10-2021, 04:43 PM
i thought that as well. why wasnt anyone trying to help. it was a risky situation as they couldnt score from there.

but it shows a brittle team. so few want to stand up and be counted.

we have spent alot of money on young players. they will take time to bed in properly. some will be duds and some will be good. do we have patience as fans. would a change of manager make any difference - would a change mean a change of direction and having another couple of years to overhaul the squad.

also what sort of midfielder is partey... i was hoping he was a powerful domineering type but that doesnt seem to be the case. he isnt defensive and he isnt offensive.
We miss Xhaka, fact!!
Also, Arteta has banished Guendouzi to Marseille. Guendouzi is more effective than Partey, Odegaard and Lokonga in my opinion.
PE Teacher of a manager is failing miserably.

Mac76
19-10-2021, 05:55 PM
We miss Xhaka, fact!!
Also, Arteta has banished Guendouzi to Marseille. Guendouzi is more effective than Partey, Odegaard and Lokonga in my opinion.
PE Teacher of a manager is failing miserably.

Xhaka = NO

guendouzi though i agree, he had the right spirit and wouldn't be as complacent as we got out there yesterday

Globalgunner
19-10-2021, 07:52 PM
Finished 8th in a row with a fully available Xhaka.

What can we expect this season 10th maybe without him. I doubt it. Missing Xhaka is like missing a huge wart on your face

Mac76
20-10-2021, 07:17 AM
Finished 8th in a row with a fully available Xhaka.

What can we expect this season 10th maybe without him. I doubt it. Missing Xhaka is like missing a huge wart on your face

Exactly, if we've sunk so low as to think a player as bad as that is indispensible, there really is no hope

Bumble
20-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Exactly, if we've sunk so low as to think a player as bad as that is indispensible, there really is no hope

he isnt a bad player as such and its not all his fault but he is really synonymous with where we are right now. Getting rid wont change everything over night but at least it could be a clean break from the shambles of the last few years.

selassie
24-10-2021, 12:26 PM
About Midfield, Odegaard is a bit of an issue too TBH. He is young and is expected to be inconsistent but his performances this season have been below the level expected given the money we paid for him and his reputation. Laca played as a 10 on Friday and was superb, Odegaard has only performed at the level Laca did on Friday maybe once or twice since he has been at the club, that was last season too when on loan.

For now I think Odegaard should be a rotation option like Pepe.

P.S. I thought Sambi was brilliant on Friday, his best game for the club, but he like most of our players he is young and will be very inconsistent.

selassie
02-12-2021, 10:33 PM
Our midfield seems to get worse every season, jesus christ.

Marc Overmars
02-12-2021, 11:03 PM
Cannot even begin to explain how disappointing Partey has been.

From that monster at Atletico Madrid to this gangly oaf who can’t even pass.

Niall_Quinn
02-12-2021, 11:04 PM
Partey is shit. If people can't admit at least that much then football for them is not about what's actually happening but more about what we'd like to happen.

I watched the first half of the Utd game because it was on prime and I actually get that without having to pay. So I plugged in, remenice a bit about how the commentators, if you turn your ear just so, COULD be the classic pair from when the PL was worth a watch. And then these 22 shit turds waltz out and start to make Sunday leagues look state of the art. Even that Ronaldo bloke who's probably on, what, a million a game or something stupid like that? Can'y be bothered to kick the ball straight when we're well aware he can? Maybe it's not that these players are bad, maybe they are just incredibly complacent and lazy and disrespectful of the people who stupidly pay their wages.

That aside, one player stood out. Partey.

What a pile of stinking shit. What an embarrassment for that turd to be wearing the fake shirt that looks nothing like a proper Arsenal shirt.

Niall_Quinn
02-12-2021, 11:16 PM
I like that Ben White guy. He's slightly better than a donkey, not fit to lace Adam's or Keown's boots, which is the highest commendation a defender can earn these days. Not bad. He seems to be able to kick a ball straight, head it, tackle without falling over holding his face. Makings of an actual footballer there.

Niall_Quinn
02-12-2021, 11:17 PM
I think that McGuire guy was 80 million? That's the funniest shit I have heard in years. Can't possibly be true.

selassie
21-04-2022, 09:58 AM
I thought Xhaka and Elneny were really good yesterday, they surprised me.

KSE Comedy Club
21-04-2022, 10:50 AM
Partey unfortunately, makes Xhaka look good.

Mac76
21-04-2022, 01:12 PM
Partey unfortunately, makes Xhaka look good.

Partey was actually starting to play well and link up play before he got injured, while I hate to admit that Xhaka is slightly better than he was, he's still not a good long- term prospect - too slow, too clumsy and too stupid

KSE Comedy Club
21-04-2022, 01:31 PM
Partey was actually starting to play well and link up play before he got injured, while I hate to admit that Xhaka is slightly better than he was, he's still not a good long- term prospect - too slow, too clumsy and too stupid

I agree, I can't stand Xhaka - I am soooo done with him!

I hope he can be replaced this summer and Partey will hopefully perform better with someone decent next to him.

mandela8
18-06-2022, 05:14 PM
This thread is an embarrassing read, ffs.

Letters
18-06-2022, 05:21 PM
Disappointing first post back.
But welcome back.

mandela8
18-06-2022, 05:59 PM
Disappointing first post back.
But welcome back.
Unlike you I don't just blow my load right away.

(Thanks, mate. Good to be home)

Chippy
18-06-2022, 08:00 PM
This thread is an embarrassing read, ffs.

Who the fuck are you?

mandela8
18-06-2022, 09:14 PM
Who the fuck are you?

Ask your mum.

Chippy
18-06-2022, 10:33 PM
Ask your mum.

Oh dear, a five year old.
Twat.

Letters
19-06-2022, 06:22 AM
Have you not met?
Mandela, Chippy; Chippy Mandela.

Chippy
19-06-2022, 08:44 AM
Have you not met?
Mandela, Chippy; Chippy Mandela.

:lol:
Chippy Mandela has a certain ring to it.

mandela8
19-06-2022, 12:08 PM
a five year old.
You fuckin wish, eh?

HCZ_Reborn
19-06-2022, 05:46 PM

He’s also our best central midfielder which is concerning.

Chippy
19-06-2022, 07:46 PM
You fuckin wish, eh?

There is a line on here, and you just crossed it :thumbsdown:

mandela8
19-06-2022, 08:28 PM
He’s also our best central midfielder which is concerning.

I think he posted that when he first signed, looking at the dates.

Hopefully he's changed his mind.

Partey showed when fit for a period how good he was. More telling is how abysmal we became without him. He's the only player who can take the ball from defense and actually do summon with it, progressively.

mandela8
19-06-2022, 08:28 PM
There is a line on here, and you just crossed it :thumbsdown:

Fuck sake.

You're in for a fuckin treat if you think that's the line, man.

Globalgunner
20-06-2022, 08:18 AM
Fuck sake.

You're in for a fuckin treat if you think that's the line, man.

Where have you been all our lives?. It was getting dull in here.

mandela8
21-06-2022, 06:43 PM
Where have you been all our lives?. It was getting dull in here.

All your lives??

I used to run this place years ago, man. Canny mind how long ago...maybe 10 years or so??

But I became too big and got better offers from bigger boards so went and had significant success there. But now I'm back to raise this place from the ashes...although my hands are a bit tied when the site is fuckin horrible to use on mobile, ffs.

Chippy
21-06-2022, 06:49 PM
All your lives??

I used to run this place years ago, man. Canny mind how long ago...maybe 10 years or so??

But I became too big and got better offers from bigger boards so went and had significant success there. But now I'm back to raise this place from the ashes...although my hands are a bit tied when the site is fuckin horrible to use on mobile, ffs.

Fuck! I have never heard so much bollocks in my whole life. You don't think much of yourself do you. :haha: