PDA

View Full Version : Winter Transfer Non-Arrivals and Goodbyes

McNamara That Ghost...
04-01-2022, 07:14 PM
Off goes Maitland-Niles to Roma says SSN. Deal agreed in principle.

On loan.

I am invisible
05-01-2022, 11:34 AM
Must be a deal already in place for someone new if we've sanctioned this this early in the window. Might not be a big move - could even be a loan - but we must have something lined up, right?

Mac76
05-01-2022, 01:41 PM
Must be a deal already in place for someone new if we've sanctioned this this early in the window. Might not be a big move - could even be a loan - but we must have something lined up, right?

because AMN's so essential to us?

Ralpheroo72
05-01-2022, 01:43 PM
Allegri has said Ramsey is leaving Juventus, bet he ends up at Newcastle

I am invisible
05-01-2022, 03:48 PM
because AMN's so essential to us?

Because we've got 2 CMs left for the next month and one of them's a ticking time-bomb...

Mac76
05-01-2022, 04:30 PM
Because we've got 2 CMs left for the next month and one of them's a ticking time-bomb...

fair point :lol:

selassie
06-01-2022, 12:51 PM

:haha:

selassie
06-01-2022, 12:54 PM

I hope so. If we don't have anything in place then it's lunacy. It could potentially destroy our season and momentum for a top 4 finish. It's actually the kind of thing Wenger use to do, sell half our team and fail to replace them.....but anyway I am guessing they have maybe 1 or 2 deals lined up, I don't even care if they are loans as long as they are quality players who can help us now. I am happy for them to address Central Midfield in the summer. We are going to be very busy again in the Market in the summer, likely need a new midfielder, possibly 2. At least 2 Forwards (assuming Laca, Nketiah and Auba are leaving), a back up keeper to replace Leno who I assume will leave and then possibly a backup right back.

I am invisible
06-01-2022, 05:37 PM
I hope so. If we don't have anything in place then it's lunacy. It could potentially destroy our season and momentum for a top 4 finish. It's actually the kind of thing Wenger use to do, sell half our team and fail to replace them.....but anyway I am guessing they have maybe 1 or 2 deals lined up, I don't even care if they are loans as long as they are quality players who can help us now. I am happy for them to address Central Midfield in the summer. We are going to be very busy again in the Market in the summer, likely need a new midfielder, possibly 2. At least 2 Forwards (assuming Laca, Nketiah and Auba are leaving), a back up keeper to replace Leno who I assume will leave and then possibly a backup right back.

Yeah, I reckon you're not far off the mark there - one of the CMs and one of the FWs will obviously depend on certain players leaving, but the rest of it looks about right to me.

Personally, I'd be looking at the backup RB as a priority, I rate Tomi that highly! So many other players and their roles just clicked and made sense once we added him - really balanced the side. Doesn't have to be a big signing - I'd be very happy with another well-scouted, Nuno-like unknown - but it does need to be the same profile. I'm already feeling like we're going to feel his every absence every bit as much as we felt Tierney's before we signed Nuno, so the sooner we can get this done the better (aside from anything else, I suspect Tomi will prove to be the best cover we have for both White and Gabriel until we can bring Saliba home, so it solves that problem too).

Going to be fascinating to see what we do with forwards - it's the one area that Arteta hasn't been able to invest in yet, and the only hint we really have for his preference is Laca over Auba.

dazthegooner
07-01-2022, 09:34 AM
Well we may have dodged a bullet Coutinho close to agreeing a loan deal with Villa https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12510725/philippe-coutinho-aston-villa-close-to-agreeing-loan-move-for-barcelona-midfielder.
This goes along with his wish to move to a premiership team with ambition :unsure:

I am invisible
07-01-2022, 10:07 AM
Well we may have dodged a bullet Coutinho close to agreeing a loan deal with Villa https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12510725/philippe-coutinho-aston-villa-close-to-agreeing-loan-move-for-barcelona-midfielder.
This goes along with his wish to move to a premiership team with ambition :unsure:

Please let that happen! I'm so fucking bored of Coutinho-to-Arsenal talk.

Marc Overmars
07-01-2022, 10:35 AM
Would have taken Coutinho on loan. Too expensive and past his best for a permanent deal but there’s no doubt he’s the kind of player who’s capable of making an explosive impact at least for the short term.

I don’t believe we have many big game players at the moment who can turn matches with moments of brilliance. We have a solid enough team but it’s a team that’s also lost 7 times, with most of those defeats being against the teams we want to compete with.

dazthegooner
07-01-2022, 10:44 AM
Please let that happen! I'm so fucking bored of Coutinho-to-Arsenal talk.

Done deal signed for Villa on loan with an option to buy :)

I am invisible
07-01-2022, 10:46 AM
Done deal signed for Villa on loan with an option to buy :)

Oh well, at least we'll get 5-6 months off before it starts again...

Mac76
07-01-2022, 03:35 PM
sounds like Palace plus another PL club are trying to buy Nketiah - let's hope that goes through... :pray:

GP
07-01-2022, 04:16 PM
Sounds like we're going hard for Vlahovic from Fiorentina.

Never seen him play.

I am invisible
08-01-2022, 08:03 AM
Ticks pretty much every box as a CF - really is a complete striker. Just question marks over whether he’s sold on Arsenal.

Can’t really blame him for that, tbh - most non-Arsenal fans even in this country haven’t really been paying much attention to what we’ve been doing until recently either, so I’m not surprised we’ve gone under most players’ radars on the content. We really have been a complete non-event for neutrals for a while now, if not an outright joke!

All the same though, I’d only push for him if his stance towards us has changed and he now sees this as a project that he really wants to be a part of. Otherwise I’d move on to other targets.

I am invisible
08-01-2022, 08:21 AM
sounds like Palace plus another PL club are trying to buy Nketiah - let's hope that goes through... :pray:
Probably Brighton - basically all the clubs that could have easily had him in the summer!

Although I also wouldn’t be surprised if we made one final attempt to keep him.

dazthegooner
08-01-2022, 08:28 AM
While we're still in cup competitions Arteta will pick Nketiah hoping to convince him to sign another contract, but unless he starts a few premiership games (which with injuries AFCON apart) isn't going to happen.

I am invisible
08-01-2022, 12:48 PM
While we're still in cup competitions Arteta will pick Nketiah hoping to convince him to sign another contract, but unless he starts a few premiership games (which with injuries AFCON apart) isn't going to happen.
I can still see a future for Eddie if he can be converted to a wide forward. As a CF, though? I wouldn’t really want to use him there any more regularly than we think about playing Martinelli there, and would probably rather sell. We’ve already got that kind of CF option in Auba and it’s clearly not what we’re building around - what does Eddie do as a CF that’s any different to Auba?

What we do clearly have a preference for is energetic wide-forwards who press hard, force turnovers and pop up in those half spaces to score. We tried to convert Auba to be that kind of forward, but he either wasn’t willing or wasn’t able. And we’ve spent the last year working on Martinelli in the background to get him ready and he’s been an absolute revelation there since coming back into the side! Could something similar be done with Eddie? And would he be willing? The worry I have with him is that he might have a bit if the Ainsleys about him where he’d rather be an average CF for a shite team than do the job that needs doing in a good team.

dazthegooner
08-01-2022, 03:57 PM
Well it's confirmed Maitland-Niles has fooked off to Roma on loan for the rest of the season, good luck. You'll need it :blink:

Mac76
09-01-2022, 04:46 PM
unless he starts a few premiership games (which with injuries AFCON apart) isn't going to happen.

Let's hope not, he's shit, get rid

Gooner23
09-01-2022, 07:24 PM
Centre mid needed ASAP.

Shaqiri Is Boss
09-01-2022, 07:27 PM
You've been linked with Wijnaldum. You should do literally everything in your power to get him.

selassie
09-01-2022, 09:05 PM
Centre mid needed ASAP.

If we don't bring in one or maybe even two quality Centre mids in the next few weeks then our season will be over by the end of next month.

Marc Overmars
09-01-2022, 09:52 PM
You've been linked with Wijnaldum. You should do literally everything in your power to get him.

He would become our best midfielder by a country mile.

selassie
10-01-2022, 03:36 PM
He would become our best midfielder by a country mile.

Yep I hope we push for this loan. He would be a certified starter for us. He is PL adapted and a quality player, we won't get a better player right now on the market.

Him and that young Brazilian CM we are linked with would be good business for our Midfield IMO.

selassie
10-01-2022, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I reckon you're not far off the mark there - one of the CMs and one of the FWs will obviously depend on certain players leaving, but the rest of it looks about right to me.

Personally, I'd be looking at the backup RB as a priority, I rate Tomi that highly! So many other players and their roles just clicked and made sense once we added him - really balanced the side. Doesn't have to be a big signing - I'd be very happy with another well-scouted, Nuno-like unknown - but it does need to be the same profile. I'm already feeling like we're going to feel his every absence every bit as much as we felt Tierney's before we signed Nuno, so the sooner we can get this done the better (aside from anything else, I suspect Tomi will prove to be the best cover we have for both White and Gabriel until we can bring Saliba home, so it solves that problem too).

Going to be fascinating to see what we do with forwards - it's the one area that Arteta hasn't been able to invest in yet, and the only hint we really have for his preference is Laca over Auba.

Aye, agree with this. Tomi is a baller, one of our best and most important players for me. Arteta and Edu have a lot of work still to do with the squad but it's definitely going in the right direction with what they did in the Summer.

Marc Overmars
12-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Balogun has gone to Boro on loan.

At least we’ve tied him down for a few years now. Would like to see him in the mix next season though, as we will be awfully light up front soon enough.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-01-2022, 11:38 AM
They're all going out the door now we're out of the FA Cup

selassie
12-01-2022, 12:27 PM
Balogun has gone to Boro on loan.

At least we’ve tied him down for a few years now. Would like to see him in the mix next season though, as we will be awfully light up front soon enough.

Apparently Nketiah is in talks with Palace too, our squad will be threadbare by the end of this window, I hope we have at least 1 striker and 1 midfielder lined up. Starting to panic.......

Mac76
12-01-2022, 12:58 PM
Apparently Nketiah is in talks with Palace too, our squad will be threadbare by the end of this window, I hope we have at least 1 striker and 1 midfielder lined up. Starting to panic.......

sending Balogun on loan is insane - he's miles better than Nketiah who we should offload if we've the chance...

I am invisible
13-01-2022, 10:50 AM

Arteta and Edu had better be bloody sure about this Vlahovic chase! Otherwise I hope Emile is a better false 9 now than he was last season!

Mac76
13-01-2022, 10:52 AM
Arteta and Edu had better be bloody sure about this Vlahovic chase! Otherwise I hope Emile is a better false 9 now than he was last season!

i'd rather have Chambers at CF than Nketiah and i'm not even joking - Chambo's scored and assisted a few good goals in his time

I am invisible
13-01-2022, 11:25 AM
Good move for Balogun this - he doesn't look quite ready for first-team PL football yet, but he's clearly way past the point where u23 football is providing much of a challenge or teaching him anything. Playing men's football every week in a slightly weaker league will do him far more good than being chucked in for a game here and a game there for us...

Chippy
13-01-2022, 11:35 AM

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/13/arsenal-dealt-blow-two-stars-set-miss-liverpool-clash-carabao-cup-15911417/?ito=newsnow-feed

Looks like Odegaard is the latest injury. He has not travelled to Anfield :(

It is not looking good is it.

I am invisible
13-01-2022, 11:45 AM
i'd rather have Chambers at CF than Nketiah and i'm not even joking - Chambo's scored and assisted a few good goals in his time

Yeah, I'm not a fan at CF. I could see him maybe working as a wide attacker, if he was willing to take a step back and spend a bit of time learning the role, but nothing about him works as a modern CF.

Basically he's Aubameyang, but without the world-class pedigree and proven track record - what use is that us if we don't want Auba?

I am invisible
13-01-2022, 12:21 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/13/arsenal-dealt-blow-two-stars-set-miss-liverpool-clash-carabao-cup-15911417/?ito=newsnow-feed

Hey, maybe they'll postpone the game for us? :unsure:

McNamara That Ghost...
13-01-2022, 10:59 PM
Vlahovic scored again, against Napoli tonight.

I know he looks like Darren Anderton found steroids but sign him up.

Chippy
13-01-2022, 11:33 PM
Hey, maybe they'll postpone the game for us? :unsure:

Erm, we should do everything we can to get the Spuds game cancelled on Sunday, we have ten players out 🥺.
PS
Xhaka is a stupid cu#t.

selassie
14-01-2022, 10:50 AM
sending Balogun on loan is insane - he's miles better than Nketiah who we should offload if we've the chance...

I would have kept Balogun around personally, surely we need as many bodies as possible in our quest for top 4 finish, but maybe we have other ideas I dunno.

selassie
14-01-2022, 10:51 AM

Aye, I’m kinda putting hopeful trust in they must be close on a couple of deals. It makes no sense to strip the squad without any new additions coming in.

selassie
14-01-2022, 10:55 AM

I’m hoping the game on Sunday gets cancelled, our team is literally down to the bare bones, no first choice midfield, Ode has COVID, ESR this ongoing groin issue, Saka looks dead on his feet, Laca too. The squad is threadbare.

McNamara That Ghost...
17-01-2022, 10:07 AM
See a few papers mentioning us in relation to Tielemans. :popcorn:

Doubt it in January though, Wijnaldum seems more likely on loan.

McNamara That Ghost...
17-01-2022, 09:11 PM
Fiorentina are hammering Genoa 4-0, Vlahovic with another goal.

However he did fuck up a pelanty trying a Panenka which surely confirms he is on his way?

dazthegooner
18-01-2022, 12:34 PM
Rumour is Vlahovic has agreed terms with Juventus.

Gooner23
18-01-2022, 03:21 PM

Haven't seen that but wouldn't be surprised. Always felt like another Locatelli situation. Suspect we were chancing our arm this window but if no luck will move on to our other targets in the summer.

Gooner23
18-01-2022, 04:36 PM
Kolasinac is gone! Contract terminated by mutual consent so he can join Marseille as a free agent.

Mari also due to be loaned out to Udinese this week.

Think the club is on the wind up to all those that got their knickers in a twist about the derby postponement!

dazthegooner
18-01-2022, 05:51 PM
So the Forest game was Kolasinac's Farewell was it? Could at least left is by scoring an equalizer <_<

selassie
19-01-2022, 11:49 AM

The Vlahovic deal if we ever got that far seems pretty messy if you believe what's been written in the tabloids. I get Locatelli vibes about it too as like Gooner 23 said. I think Vlahovic like Locatelli may have been interested in a move here until his agent and other clubs got in his ear. To be honest, the Vlahovic interest is probably similar to the Tielemans interest, these are players that would likely join us only if we were the only suitors...but like Vlahovic, I suspect Tielemans will wait till the summer to see who really firms up their interest in him. Unless we get top 4, both players aren't obrtainable and I think we will be far down the list for both players if any of the top 4 including Man United show interest let alone any of the leading European clubs.

Mac76
19-01-2022, 12:15 PM
if you believe what's been written in the tabloids.

i don't read them precisely because i don't believe a word of the BS they write

99% of the problems in this country are caused by reading them and believing them

Chippy
19-01-2022, 12:31 PM

99% of the problems in this country are caused by reading them and believing them

Yep! Especially the Guardian <_<

selassie
19-01-2022, 12:40 PM

Aye, me neither. Mind you if you did believe them you would think no players ever want to join us! :lol:

Mac76
19-01-2022, 01:21 PM
Yep! Especially the Guardian <_<

it's a broadsheet not a tabloid

I am invisible
19-01-2022, 02:35 PM
The Vlahovic deal if we ever got that far seems pretty messy if you believe what's been written in the tabloids. I get Locatelli vibes about it too as like Gooner 23 said. I think Vlahovic like Locatelli may have been interested in a move here until his agent and other clubs got in his ear. To be honest, the Vlahovic interest is probably similar to the Tielemans interest, these are players that would likely join us only if we were the only suitors...but like Vlahovic, I suspect Tielemans will wait till the summer to see who really firms up their interest in him. Unless we get top 4, both players aren't obrtainable and I think we will be far down the list for both players if any of the top 4 including Man United show interest let alone any of the leading European clubs.

Tbh, I follow the stories just long enough to get a feel for whether our interest is genuine or not. After that, if it happens it happens - no need to sit through the rest of the same, tedious script they use for every transfer. We all know how that goes.

I am invisible
19-01-2022, 04:04 PM
Don't know whether our interest in Vlahovic and Melo will come to anything or not, but we're clearly clearing space for something - must be confident of something happening, even if it's neither of those two.

Marc Overmars
20-01-2022, 11:05 AM
Mari has gone on loan to Udinese. Another bum signing from Edu and his cronies bites the dust.

Our squad is looking horribly thin. We need at least 4-5 signings this summer. Hopefully we can find one or two before the end of the month.

I am invisible
20-01-2022, 12:10 PM
Mari has gone on loan to Udinese. Another bum signing from Edu and his cronies bites the dust.

Our squad is looking horribly thin. We need at least 4-5 signings this summer. Hopefully we can find one or two before the end of the month.

The scary thing is we could just keep going and going - Aubameyang, Lacazette, Nketiah, Elneny and Leno will be gone by the summer (if not sooner), Pepe and Cedric if we can find anyone stupid enough to take them, Xhaka's been trying to leave for about 2 years now, can't see a future for Holding and Chambers... there's probably only 12 players in our senior squad who I'd say are safe.

At least we can bring Saliba back as soon as the season ends - that's a start. And maybe Balogun will come back from his loan a little more ready, at least for the bench?

Mac76
20-01-2022, 12:35 PM
At least we can bring Saliba back as soon as the season ends - that's a start. And maybe Balogun will come back from his loan a little more ready, at least for the bench?

You're forgetting that Saliba's "not ready" :rolleyes:

as for Balogun, why he was sent on loan at all is beyond me

Bumble
20-01-2022, 01:21 PM
The scary thing is we could just keep going and going - Aubameyang, Lacazette, Nketiah, Elneny and Leno will be gone by the summer (if not sooner), Pepe and Cedric if we can find anyone stupid enough to take them, Xhaka's been trying to leave for about 2 years now, can't see a future for Holding and Chambers... there's probably only 12 players in our senior squad who I'd say are safe.

i would keep holding and chambers as we do need fringe players unless they really want to move. the rest will be gone and we will have no strikers

Mac76
20-01-2022, 01:56 PM
i would keep holding and chambers as we do need fringe players unless they really want to move. the rest will be gone and we will have no strikers

we should definitely keep both Holding and Chambers, they can do a decent job in a number of positions, especially Chambo

selassie
20-01-2022, 02:42 PM
we should definitely keep both Holding and Chambers, they can do a decent job in a number of positions, especially Chambo

Yeah i agree with this. I thought Chambers was very good up at Anfield, he is a reliable performer IMO, Holding too.

I am invisible
20-01-2022, 03:32 PM
You're forgetting that Saliba's "not ready" :rolleyes:

as for Balogun, why he was sent on loan at all is beyond me

Balogun's not ready :d

McNamara That Ghost...
20-01-2022, 09:41 PM
Sign a good striker please.

Lacazette might help dropping in to midfield and creating space but when we need him to do what he was bought for, he just doesn't fucking score.

Marc Overmars
20-01-2022, 09:57 PM
Pay whatever it takes to get Vlahovic in now.

It might just be the difference between 4th or not.

Chippy
20-01-2022, 10:09 PM

We are not getting fourth.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-01-2022, 10:17 PM
With him, probably not.

Without him, certainly not.

selassie
21-01-2022, 07:01 AM

Or even having enough players to pick a squad. Jesus Christ, the amount of players we have let go yet there are no signs of players coming in.

I am invisible
21-01-2022, 09:55 AM
Sign a good striker please.

Lacazette might help dropping in to midfield and creating space but when we need him to do what he was bought for, he just doesn't fucking score.

:good:

Lacazette looks more like competition / cover for Ødegaard right now, not a striking option.

Marc Overmars
21-01-2022, 10:23 AM
It’s painful watching how little appetite there was for anyone to attack balls that were put into the box.

Can’t rely on Saka and ESR to do everything.

Ralpheroo72
21-01-2022, 12:18 PM
Vlahovic doesn’t look like he wants to come, hope we have a plan B

Chippy
21-01-2022, 12:34 PM

Can you blame him? :rolleyes:

Plan B? :haha:

Mac76
21-01-2022, 12:44 PM

probably watched last night's performance and thought "nope"...

Chippy
21-01-2022, 01:03 PM
probably watched last night's performance and thought "nope"...

Indeed! Or perhaps the Nottingham Forest Game ;)

Ralpheroo72
21-01-2022, 01:18 PM

Plan B? :haha:

I know, what was I thinking?!

Me :pal:

Chippy
21-01-2022, 05:16 PM
I know, what was I thinking?!

Me :pal:

:console:

Bumble
23-01-2022, 07:57 PM
It would be nice to sign a player or two. Surely there must be a player who is injured we can bring on board

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2022, 12:18 AM
If we pay more than a pound it's a waste of money. Name one player out there who is worth it and could realistically be signed. There are around 8 decent players in world football right now. And you can b sure the tranfer fees are the size that would get banksters spunking.

selassie
24-01-2022, 07:56 PM

If reports are to be believed we have spent since the summer chasing his signature and he doesn't even want to come?!?! Why haven't we moved on and looked at alternative targets? Maybe there is more to it than what is being reported......

dazthegooner
24-01-2022, 08:30 PM
Hoping it's a smoke screen like when we thought we were about to sign Richard Wright years ago turns out it was Sol Campbell :blink:

McNamara That Ghost...
25-01-2022, 08:12 AM
Sky are reporting the other reports in Italy that Vlahovic is in talks with Juventus although they haven't agreed a fee yet?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12524731/dusan-vlahovic-juventus-in-talks-to-sign-fiorentina-striker-with-arsenal-and-spurs-offers-not-considered

Different knock. :bow:

Looks like this one is done.

Gooner23
25-01-2022, 08:19 AM
If reports are to be believed we have spent since the summer chasing his signature and he doesn't even want to come?!?! Why haven't we moved on and looked at alternative targets? Maybe there is more to it than what is being reported......

Think we have been played on this one. We were obviously given some encouragement somewhere along the line by either player or agent but looks like it was to draw Juve out.

Have to move on to other targets now but can't imagine many teams wanting to lose their best striker at this stage of the season.

I am invisible
25-01-2022, 09:15 AM
Think we have been played on this one. We were obviously given some encouragement somewhere along the line by either player or agent but looks like it was to draw Juve out.

Have to move on to other targets now but can't imagine many teams wanting to lose their best striker at this stage of the season.
I guess it’s only really a waste of our time if it turns out there were other strong options available? If not, and none of our other targets are budging until the summer, then the only people’s time we’re wasting are his, his agent’s and Fiorentina’s!

I am invisible
25-01-2022, 09:26 AM
Sky are reporting the other reports in Italy that Vlahovic is in talks with Juventus although they haven't agreed a fee yet?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12524731/dusan-vlahovic-juventus-in-talks-to-sign-fiorentina-striker-with-arsenal-and-spurs-offers-not-considered

Different knock. :bow:

Looks like this one is done.
How are Juve affording this with their debt? Is this another one of their 6-year loan proposals? Feels like they’re heading for a pretty major rebalancing at some point…

selassie
25-01-2022, 10:14 AM

Yep, Locatelli all over again.

No idea what kind of business we are going to do if any now.

I am invisible
25-01-2022, 10:56 AM
Yep, Locatelli all over again.

No idea what kind of business we are going to do if any now.
Yeah, I'm at a loss now.

I guess there's no great urgency to get a CM any more - I'd still like to bring another strong option in to give us a boost for the run-in, but we're already past the point where it would have been helpful to see us through our crisis period. I think the club would still like to bring a midfielder in, but by the same token there's no longer any pressure there to push them to take any deal they're not 100% happy with - wouldn't be surprised if this one comes to nothing now.

Striker is still critical, but I'm really struggling to come up with any names who are a) available now, and b) would have an immediate impact? A lot of the non-Vlahovic names we're being linked with are either summer moves, or don't look like they'd be much of a step-up from Laca and Eddie, or look like they could be potentially be something special... but in 6-12 months time.

Marc Overmars
25-01-2022, 01:47 PM
Juve agree a deal for Vlahovic. 62m.

Us. :lol:

Bumble
25-01-2022, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I'm at a loss now.

I guess there's no great urgency to get a CM any more - I'd still like to bring another strong option in to give us a boost for the run-in, but we're already past the point where it would have been helpful to see us through our crisis period. I think the club would still like to bring a midfielder in, but by the same token there's no longer any pressure there to push them to take any deal they're not 100% happy with - wouldn't be surprised if this one comes to nothing now.

Striker is still critical, but I'm really struggling to come up with any names who are a) available now, and b) would have an immediate impact? A lot of the non-Vlahovic names we're being linked with are either summer moves, or don't look like they'd be much of a step-up from Laca and Eddie, or look like they could be potentially be something special... but in 6-12 months time.

Sounds like Juve have agreed a fee, we do need a striker - Dominic CL could be one to go for 24, Everton are in a worse state than us and could perhaps do with raising funs to overhaul squad. He is a decent player and potentially allows us to play two ways with both height and pace. But he would be our main striker signing for that money. Isak had a good Euros but not been as useful this year.

never seen that Canadian guy we have been linked with play.

I am invisible
25-01-2022, 02:46 PM
Sounds like Juve have agreed a fee, we do need a striker - Dominic CL could be one to go for 24, Everton are in a worse state than us and could perhaps do with raising funs to overhaul squad. He is a decent player and potentially allows us to play two ways with both height and pace. But he would be our main striker signing for that money. Isak had a good Euros but not been as useful this year.

never seen that Canadian guy we have been linked with play.

DCL... of all the players we've been linked with I guess he's probably the most likely to come in and start getting us goals straight away, which is the immediate need. But £60m?!! Ngl, that would hurt.

Isak looks the complete opposite: very high ceiling with a bit of work, but can he come straight in and score enough goals to fire us to top 4 between now and May? Might take us 6-12 months to mould him into the kind of striker we want him to be. That being said, if he's actually prepared to shoot, can score more than nothing and can last for more than 60 minutes before he's puffing (and does little things like show up for training and NLDs) then he'll be an instant upgrade!

Jonathan David is probably my first choice for the 2nd striker signing that we'll need to make over the next couple of windows (if that makes sense?) - a real swiss army knife of a forward, who can use both feet (always high on my wishlist) and fill in anywhere, so he wouldn't just warm the bench behind whoever else we go for. Doesn't look like he'll be going anywhere until the summer though.

selassie
25-01-2022, 09:13 PM
DCL... of all the players we've been linked with I guess he's probably the most likely to come in and start getting us goals straight away, which is the immediate need. But £60m?!! Ngl, that would hurt.

Isak looks the complete opposite: very high ceiling with a bit of work, but can he come straight in and score enough goals to fire us to top 4 between now and May? Might take us 6-12 months to mould him into the kind of striker we want him to be. That being said, if he's actually prepared to shoot, can score more than nothing and can last for more than 60 minutes before he's puffing (and does little things like show up for training and NLDs) then he'll be an instant upgrade!

Jonathan David is probably my first choice for the 2nd striker signing that we'll need to make over the next couple of windows (if that makes sense?) - a real swiss army knife of a forward, who can use both feet (always high on my wishlist) and fill in anywhere, so he wouldn't just warm the bench behind whoever else we go for. Doesn't look like he'll be going anywhere until the summer though.

Yeah I agree with this. Of those 3 names Isak has the highest ceiling but I think he would take the longest to adapt. DCL is decent enough but he isn't going to take us to the next level, he'd be a similar kind of signing to Ben White in that he will do a job but i am not convinced he has star potential in him, same feeling i have with Ben White.

Jonathan David looks a decent player, kind of sitting on the fence with him, I think he would be a good buy as like the others....but I am not sure he has star potential. We are in a bit of a mess with our forwards now come the summer, we are going to need to spend a lot of money on most likely 2 strikers assuming Auba, Laca and Eddie leave.

selassie
25-01-2022, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I'm at a loss now.

I think they might just look at the situation now and leave it till the summer and spend then. It's going to be another big summer in terms of spending IMO, 2 strikers and a midfielder. If two of those signings are starting quality players it will set us back a minimum 100mill, if not more.

Marc Overmars
26-01-2022, 06:18 AM
Would take DCL if offered the chance. The money for any player now is going to be ridiculous so we will just have to bite the bullet if we want to give ourselves the best possible chance of staying competitive for the remainder of this season. He’s scored more goals than Lacazette in recent seasons and at 24 you’d think there’s more room from growth.

The squad is horribly thin and I guess it’s a case of whether we want to just let the season run it’s course and finish in no man’s land again and address the issues in the summer, or actually try to do something worthwhile right now for a change.

Gooner23
26-01-2022, 08:28 AM
I think he'd improve us but can't see much chance of Everton selling in January, even for silly money.

I am invisible
26-01-2022, 09:19 AM
Don’t get me wrong, I’d take DCL in a cold minute right now! He’d walk into our starting XI. It’s just the fee being mentioned that’s making my eyes water. Like G23, it’s another one I can’t see happening until the summer, though.

Mac76
26-01-2022, 09:26 AM
Don’t get me wrong, I’d take DCL in a cold minute right now! He’d walk into our starting XI. It’s just the fee being mentioned that’s making my eyes water. Like G23, it’s another one I can’t see happening until the summer, though.

We should pay what it takes, he's genuine class and i think would love playing with ppl like ESR, Odegaard, Saka etc

I am invisible
26-01-2022, 09:38 AM
We should pay what it takes, he's genuine class and i think would love playing with ppl like ESR, Odegaard, Saka etc

Forget those guys - what about Tierney!

I am invisible
26-01-2022, 10:05 AM
I think they might just look at the situation now and leave it till the summer and spend then. It's going to be another big summer in terms of spending IMO, 2 strikers and a midfielder. If two of those signings are starting quality players it will set us back a minimum 100mill, if not more.

Yeah, I really wouldn't be surprised if we left it until the summer now. I certainly don't think we're going to be pressured into signing someone for the sake of it, especially now we're out of both cups and have players returning from injury / suspension / AFCON. The time when signings would have helped has been and gone - damage already done - and we now have 7-14 day rest periods between all of our games between now and May. An extra option or two would still be welcome, but our thin squad can probably cope if they have to (esp. after a nice long break in Dubai to recharge).

I guess the unknown factor is what the club's target's were at the start of the year? If it was immediate top 4 then we might still make a final push for a signing or two, but if it was top 6 then we're probably on target.

KSE Comedy Club
26-01-2022, 12:36 PM
Juve agree a deal for Vlahovic. 62m.

Us. :lol:

Done and dusted in 48 hours, no less :coffee:

KSE Comedy Club
26-01-2022, 12:37 PM
Newcastle have agreed a £30m deal for Guimaraes too - just announced on sky sports

Chippy
26-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Newcastle have agreed a £30m deal for Guimaraes too - just announced on sky sports

And we all used to moan about Wenger and his false promises ;)

"We are waiting for top, top, quality players in the waiting period"! :sarcy:

Mac76
26-01-2022, 02:55 PM
And we all used to moan about Wenger and his false promises ;)

"We are waiting for top, top, quality players in the waiting period"! :sarcy:

"We might buy Messi, it depends on the price"

dazthegooner
26-01-2022, 03:25 PM

Lyon have said that nothing has been agreed yet and it's the media getting ahead of themselves :blah:

I am invisible
26-01-2022, 03:53 PM
Lol, Aulas just finding out who Newcastle's new owners are!

I am invisible
26-01-2022, 03:55 PM
Before I get worked up about this, do we even have a midfield budget for this window? Not sure we've (credibly) been linked with anyone other than loan signings so far - get the feeling the only money that's been freed up is for a striker.

Marc Overmars
26-01-2022, 04:10 PM
Auba hasn’t travelled with the squad to Dubai. Think we’ve definitely seen the last of him if Arteta isn’t prepared to involve him despite being short of numbers.

Wheelchair has gone though. At this point we might as well offer him a contract for the remainder of the season.

KSE Comedy Club
26-01-2022, 04:13 PM
Apparantly Isak (the desperation move we have been linked with after Vlahovic) doesn't want to come to us either.

What a total shambles we are

LDG
26-01-2022, 07:18 PM
We are waiting for Sue Gray’s report until we decide whether to strengthen our squad

Letters
26-01-2022, 08:06 PM
We are waiting for Sue Gray’s report until we decide whether to strengthen our squad

McNamara That Ghost...
27-01-2022, 06:49 PM
Barca are in talks for Traore apparently.

Good news for the Spuds really.

Marc Overmars
27-01-2022, 07:48 PM
Chambers has been sold to Villa.

Surely we are going to get someone in? Even if it’s just for the sake of numbers. The squad is wafer thin.

Globalgunner
27-01-2022, 07:53 PM
Arteta maybe thinks he can do a job for us....by playing

dazthegooner
27-01-2022, 08:09 PM
Maybe Douglas Luiz coming the other way? yeah I know a long shot.

Bumble
27-01-2022, 08:20 PM
Maybe the fact lately we like to play with 10 players. Means less slots to fill in the squad.

I am invisible
27-01-2022, 08:30 PM
I know we’re thin right now, but I’m kind of glad that the owners have vetoed the Melo loan - shows that there’s oversight going on now. That was starting to sound like a pretty shit deal for us…

Chippy
27-01-2022, 09:17 PM
Maybe Douglas Luiz coming the other way? yeah I know a long shot.

Maybe Saliba is coming home early?

Mac76
27-01-2022, 11:11 PM
Chambers has been sold to Villa.

Gutted, massively underrated player, wait for him to come back to the Emirates and show us up

And of course we'll keep that fucking cunt Xhaka come hell or high water

McNamara That Ghost...
27-01-2022, 11:13 PM
Is having players important?

selassie
28-01-2022, 01:59 AM
Is having players important?

Not if you can cancel games it isn’t. Can just imagine us trying to cancel our next game because we don’t have enough players. :lol:

KSE Comedy Club
28-01-2022, 07:39 AM
The transfer guy on talksport yestesrday, said we are only trying to sign the backup goalkeeper and no one else.

If that is the case then the rest of this season is a write off as well.

We desperately need a striker and another midfielder.

This fucking club - every.... fucking.... time.... :sulk:

GP
28-01-2022, 08:22 AM
Talksport :lol:

KSE Comedy Club
28-01-2022, 08:46 AM
Talksport :lol:
I know, but far more credible than the Sky 'experts' tbf

GP
28-01-2022, 09:20 AM
Nah

Ralpheroo72
28-01-2022, 11:11 AM
Less players means less red cards

GP
28-01-2022, 01:38 PM
Fewer

Letters
28-01-2022, 01:50 PM
Fewer

:gp:

Gooner23
28-01-2022, 03:11 PM
Reports that Nketiah is heading to Newcastle. Have to think a striker is coming in, surely!

Marc Overmars
28-01-2022, 04:06 PM
Juve and Barca have enquired about taking Auba on loan.

Gooner23
28-01-2022, 04:20 PM
Absolute fire sale!

Xhaka Can’t
28-01-2022, 05:31 PM

Xhaka Can’t
28-01-2022, 05:34 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/cNlb27iAsIJSM9ll49/giphy.gif

McNamara That Ghost...
29-01-2022, 07:23 PM
Barcelona sign Traore on loan, option to buy apparently.

GP
29-01-2022, 10:17 PM
lol why?

Mac76
30-01-2022, 09:13 AM
Barcelona sign Traore on loan, option to buy apparently.

Things are even worse at that club than i thought

Chippy
30-01-2022, 09:30 AM
Things are even worse at that club than i thought

Us or Barcelona? :sarcy:

Globalgunner
30-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Really wouldnt want to be a supporter of either club right now. Both examples of colossal mismanagement in the last 10-15 years

Ralpheroo72
30-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Our club went into decline the moment Dein left. Love him or hate him, he got shit done, brought us Bergkamp when weren’t all that. Bergkamp for me was the catalyst during our glory years between 1997-2004.

selassie
30-01-2022, 01:16 PM
Whichever way we look at it we are pretty screwed when it comes to the management of the squad for this window. Auba has been dumped which leaves us now with just a declining Laca and Eddie (who by all accounts wants out and isn't good enough anyway). Any signing we make for this position now is going to be one where we massively overpay, regardless of whether it's a transfer or short term loan.

Midfield options aren't exactly great either, for all of our criticism of Xhaka and to a lesser degree Partey, our Midfield is a complete mess when both of those guys aren't present.

Arteta and Edu fooled me in the summer, I thought they knew what they were doing when it came to the planning of the squad but I have big reservations now as it seems our approach is just a mess, even the outgoings have been a farce.

selassie
30-01-2022, 01:18 PM
Reports that Nketiah is heading to Newcastle. Have to think a striker is coming in, surely!

I read we have been rejecting bids from Palace for him, not because we want him but because we can't find a new striker. It's a complete mess. What exactly does Edu do?

Bumble
30-01-2022, 02:10 PM
I read we have been rejecting bids from Palace for him, not because we want him but because we can't find a new striker. It's a complete mess. What exactly does Edu do?

probably throws a great bbq

Marc Overmars
30-01-2022, 03:08 PM
Looks like Auba is going to Barca.

Bumble
30-01-2022, 03:29 PM
Looks like Auba is going to Barca.

maybe its just we only need 18 players as we only have league games remaining

I am invisible
30-01-2022, 04:46 PM
Tbf he usually starts busting out the BBQs when he’s got a deal in the bag - any insta stories doing the rounds of Edu seasoning up a prime picanha?

selassie
30-01-2022, 05:13 PM

:lol:

I am invisible
30-01-2022, 05:32 PM
Whichever way we look at it we are pretty screwed when it comes to the management of the squad for this window. Auba has been dumped which leaves us now with just a declining Laca and Eddie (who by all accounts wants out and isn't good enough anyway). Any signing we make for this position now is going to be one where we massively overpay, regardless of whether it's a transfer or short term loan.

Midfield options aren't exactly great either, for all of our criticism of Xhaka and to a lesser degree Partey, our Midfield is a complete mess when both of those guys aren't present.

Arteta and Edu fooled me in the summer, I thought they knew what they were doing when it came to the planning of the squad but I have big reservations now as it seems our approach is just a mess, even the outgoings have been a farce.
I get the feeling we haven’t been told everything about Auba. No way was this just about him being a little late back from visiting his mum - if it was then he’d have been all over social media telling the world how mistreated he is and what a bunch of shits the club and manager are, etc. As it is he hasn’t said a word in his own defence since he was banished, which makes me think it’s something more serious. Something he knows the club could bury him with if he wants to make things publuc. Also none of his team mates have spoken out on his behalf either, even though he’s supposedly quite popular within the group.

I still have some faith that Arteta and Edu know what they’re doing, at least in terms of identifying who we need and who is a waste of space that should be moved on, but they clearly have a lot to learn in terms of timing an execution. Although I am also wondering how much might be out of their hands? We took on a huge bridging loan last year to keep things running and then spent a shit-ton in the summer, which left us all scratching our heads about how we were funding it - maybe we’ve finally got our answer?

selassie
30-01-2022, 09:16 PM
I get the feeling we haven’t been told everything about Auba. No way was this just about him being a little late back from visiting his mum - if it was then he’d have been all over social media telling the world how mistreated he is and what a bunch of shits the club and manager are, etc. As it is he hasn’t said a word in his own defence since he was banished, which makes me think it’s something more serious. Something he knows the club could bury him with if he wants to make things publuc. Also none of his team mates have spoken out on his behalf either, even though he’s supposedly quite popular within the group.

I still have some faith that Arteta and Edu know what they’re doing, at least in terms of identifying who we need and who is a waste of space that should be moved on, but they clearly have a lot to learn in terms of timing an execution. Although I am also wondering how much might be out of their hands? We took on a huge bridging loan last year to keep things running and then spent a shit-ton in the summer, which left us all scratching our heads about how we were funding it - maybe we’ve finally got our answer?

Yeah you could be onto something here, Auba and his mouthy brother have been extremely quiet so like you stated it could be something very serious.

I guess we are where we are, whatever happens happens. Let's just hope for our sake that the players we have keep relatively fit, outside of our preferred XI aside from a few we are pretty screwed for backup.

Ralpheroo72
30-01-2022, 10:25 PM
No incoming deals close according to Ornstein

https://www.footballfancast.com/arsenal-transfer-rumours/afc-latest-news-updates-david-ornstein-claim-edu-arteta-aubameyang-target-premier-league-january-window-deadline-day-gossip

Chippy
30-01-2022, 10:57 PM
No incoming deals close according to Ornstein

https://www.footballfancast.com/arsenal-transfer-rumours/afc-latest-news-updates-david-ornstein-claim-edu-arteta-aubameyang-target-premier-league-january-window-deadline-day-gossip

The club and Arteta know the season is done. No cups and no real chance to get in the top four. The club is done. Can't see us ever coming back from this.

Globalgunner
31-01-2022, 07:53 AM

There are rumours Auba got physical with Arteta after the Brighton game (I think). Somebody got slapped. We know how Arteta likes to hold a grudge. One of them has to leave. My preference would be for them both to go

Gooner23
31-01-2022, 08:53 AM
Doesn't looking like there will be much going on today does there, apart from Auba leaving.

I just cannot understand the logic behind not bringing in a forward when we have a genuine shot at 4th place. Even if our top targets aren't available, there must be someone out there better than Laca and Eddie (3 league goals between them this season).

Mac76
31-01-2022, 09:32 AM
One of them has to leave. My preference would be for them both to go

I am invisible
31-01-2022, 09:56 AM

Yeah you could be onto something here, Auba and his mouthy brother have been extremely quiet so like you stated it could be something very serious.

I guess we are where we are, whatever happens happens. Let's just hope for our sake that the players we have keep relatively fit, outside of our preferred XI aside from a few we are pretty screwed for backup.
That’s how I’m trying to look at it - really disappointed, but disappointment isn’t the same as everything being shit and having no chance. We’re still very much in it.

It’s just this club somehow always manage to make it feel like waking up on Christmas morning to find that Santa hasn’t been! I’m trying my hardest to remind myself that I still have a good family and a good home… I still have a lot of nice stuff… and actually it looks like mum and dad have had a bit of a tidy-up and chucked out a lot of old, broken crap so the place is less of a dump and there’s a lot more room to play… and I suppose they did try their hardest to get that £60m striker that I really, really wanted… and they did buy me a lot of stuff for my birthday in the summer, which they’re probably still paying back. Just… don’t talk to me for a day or two!

(And for the love of God don’t break anything between now and the summer! Otherwise we really will be digging out the old Blue Peter videos and making rocket ships out of washing up liquid bottles to get by!)

I am invisible
31-01-2022, 10:05 AM
There are rumours Auba got physical with Arteta after the Brighton game (I think). Somebody got slapped. We know how Arteta likes to hold a grudge. One of them has to leave. My preference would be for them both to go

Yeah, I don't want to speculate too much, as I don't know how much of what is said on here legally counts as publishing, but it feels like it would have to be something along those lines. Basically something serious enough for the club to give the player a "You can go quietly, but you are going" ultimatum, and for him to have to accept it without argument.

Marc Overmars
31-01-2022, 10:14 AM
Fuck him anyway. He carried us for a couple of seasons and earned that deal no question. What we’ve seen from him since then though is a joke. It was said at Dortmund that he had some behavioural issues too so whatever has happened I’d wager it isn’t exactly out of character.

We need a minimum of 5 signings in the summer and probably more if we qualify for Europe. Now is the right time to get rid of the deadwood as we don’t have any fixtures for them to play in, I just worry we’ve left ourselves horribly thin when there’s still a possibility of 4th.

KSE Comedy Club
31-01-2022, 11:38 AM
We desperately need a striker, that is a fact.

So far,
Newcastle have signed a striker and are about to sign a second one from France.
Burnley have signed a striker

But we are finding it difficult.

One of them has been reported as not moving this window and the other one (Isak - the bang average one) they want £75m for (lol) and likely we wont get.

Wat the fuck have they been doing for the whole of January!?!

Mac76
31-01-2022, 11:45 AM
we have a striker

his name is Balogun

he is better than Eddie

but we sent him out on loan

#thisisarsenal

Ralpheroo72
31-01-2022, 11:58 AM
Pep's cone boy needs to go if we don't make top 4, this window has been shambolic even for Arsenal. This club is devoid of any soul, a laughing stock.

McNamara That Ghost...
31-01-2022, 01:49 PM
When I created this thread I really didn't expect the title to be this accurate.

Ollie the Optimist
31-01-2022, 02:00 PM
Arteta seems to like driving out the highest paid players. just look at Ozil & Auba.

So perhaps making Xhaka the highest paid player could be a smart move…..

KSE Comedy Club
31-01-2022, 02:10 PM
City sign Alverez for £17m

Mac76
31-01-2022, 02:11 PM
When I created this thread I really didn't expect the title to be this accurate.

Mac76
31-01-2022, 02:12 PM
Arteta seems to like driving out the highest paid players. just look at Ozil & Auba.

So perhaps making Xhaka the highest paid player could be a smart move…..

I think Arteta's plan is to clone Xhaka and have him playing all positions

KSE Comedy Club
31-01-2022, 02:13 PM
Morata?

Raul de Tomas?

Really???

Mac76
31-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Morata?

Raul de Tomas?

Really???

well Morata would have the impressive result of making us a bigger joke than we are already...

Marc Overmars
31-01-2022, 03:14 PM
Ramsey has gone to Rangers. :lol:

KSE Comedy Club
31-01-2022, 03:36 PM
well Morata would have the impressive result of making us a bigger joke than we are already...

Very true.

What a sad state of affairs we are in

Marc Overmars
31-01-2022, 03:50 PM
Honestly at this stage I’d take Morata or any overrated bum if it meant padding out our options for the next 4 months.

It’s absolutely laughable that Lacazette and Eddie are the only strikers we have.

Letters
31-01-2022, 03:52 PM
I think Arteta's plan is to clone Xhaka and have him playing all positions

And number 1 is Perry Groves
Number 2 is Perry Groves
Number 3 is Perry Groves
Number 4 is Perry Groves
...etc

Marc Overmars
31-01-2022, 04:18 PM
Apparently we can’t agree terms with Barca so the move is in doubt. :lol:

Letters
31-01-2022, 04:59 PM
Genuinely incredible how much of a balls up we are making of this transfer window :doh:

Chippy
31-01-2022, 05:31 PM
Genuinely incredible how much of a balls up we are making of this transfer window :doh:

Incredible, yes
Surprising, no.

Chippy
31-01-2022, 05:45 PM

Even the Spuds have managed two signings <_<

Ralpheroo72
31-01-2022, 07:57 PM
Sky say the Aubameyang to Barca deal is a permanent deal, we are happy to save the wages apparently

LDG
31-01-2022, 07:58 PM
Auba moving on a fucking FREE!! To Barca :haha:

Ollie the Optimist
31-01-2022, 07:59 PM
So thats Auba leaving on a free transfer to Barcelona.

Ozil & Auba cost around 100 million and we sold them both for £0

If i was Kronke, id tell Arteta to fuck off when he asks for more money to buy a striker. Hes driven the last one because he played billy big bollocks and was appalling management, two other strikers will leave on a free in teh summer too. Appalling mismanagement from the club

Niall_Quinn
31-01-2022, 08:02 PM
I'm available and not that expensive. A few pints before the match and probably a pie or a hot dog. A comfy seat on the bench with one of those snood thingies. £50K a week. Can't do last weekend of the month or bank holidays. You can have my image rights (good luck with that).

McNamara That Ghost...
31-01-2022, 08:29 PM
When do we get the Wage Bill Reduction Cup?

:bow:

Marc Overmars
31-01-2022, 08:37 PM
Free transfer?! :lol:

Ah well, at least he’s off the wage bill.

Big, big summer needed.

Xhaka Can’t
31-01-2022, 10:45 PM
So thats Auba leaving on a free transfer to Barcelona.

Ozil & Auba cost around 100 million and we sold them both for £0

If i was Kronke, id tell Arteta to fuck off when he asks for more money to buy a striker. Hes driven the last one because he played billy big bollocks and was appalling management, two other strikers will leave on a free in teh summer too. Appalling mismanagement from the club

Not only £100m. The context is that was money spent when £100 mil was the equivalent of quarter of a billion in today’s market.

Holy fuck, we better hope Arteta and Edu AREN’T competent!

Because they’re setting out to destroy the Club.

Marc Overmars
01-02-2022, 04:54 AM
Relying on 2 strikers who have no future at the club anyway. How have we fucked it this bad?

Bumble
01-02-2022, 06:57 AM
Relying on 2 strikers who have no future at the club anyway. How have we fucked it this bad?

also both strikers are going to leave - and are going to be looking at there next deal so i would presume not want to get injured to scupper it. So how much effort can we expect until the end of the season from those two.

it is mental.

KSE Comedy Club
01-02-2022, 08:03 AM
Free transfer?! :lol:

Ah well, at least he’s off the wage bill.

Big, big summer needed.

There wont be big summer if we don't get top 4, and that looks to be the likely outcome now.

Awful, awful window

KSE Comedy Club
01-02-2022, 08:04 AM

Balogun will be the only registered striker on the books come the summer.

lol

Gooner23
01-02-2022, 08:16 AM
You have to hand it to Edu, he is excellent at selling players for no money.

dazthegooner
01-02-2022, 08:53 AM
And to make matters worse the Spuds managed to sell Ali to Everton for £40m :yikes: we only fot £35 for Iwoibi <_<

Globalgunner
01-02-2022, 09:17 AM
And to make matters worse the Spuds managed to sell Ali to Everton for £40m :yikes: we only fot £35 for Iwoibi <_<

TBH. Alli has twice as much talent as that junkster Iwobi. Alli is a Spud POS though, always will be. Everton bought both Iwobi and Walcott from us....for fair money. In return they gave us the deadweight that is now our manager. I think the Toffees got the better deal. At least they can offload our junk while we are seemingly in a Vulcan mindmeld with the poorest Arsenal manager in 40 years

Globalgunner
01-02-2022, 10:06 AM
Im pretty sure the Greenwood situation contributed to Utd canceling Lingaards move at the last minute. He seemed all set to go to Newcastle.

On a lighter note. What is Aubameyangs Wang going to call himself now?

Xhaka`s needle or Arteta`s pointer?

Mac76
01-02-2022, 10:34 AM
We've signed a new defender but ofc we won't actually play him, he's on loan until the summer then we'll send him on loan again next season - maybe in five years he'll be "ready" :rolleyes:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/trusty-signs-club-remains-loan

Ralpheroo72
01-02-2022, 10:48 AM
When will the Summer Transfer Non-Arrivals and Goodbyes thread be ready?

I am invisible
01-02-2022, 11:47 AM
We've signed a new defender but ofc we won't actually play him, he's on loan until the summer then we'll send him on loan again next season - maybe in five years he'll be "ready" :rolleyes:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/trusty-signs-club-remains-loan

This guy is never playing for Arsenal! Stan's just using us to funnel is Colorado players into the European market.

IBK
01-02-2022, 04:01 PM
Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is all the hand wringing over January transfers a bit hysterical? Our best performances this season have been without Aubameyang, who hasn't played since 5 December, and has scored the grand total of 4 EPL goals this season. He had a mediocre season last season, scoring 10 EPL goals - which is ridiculous for a £350K pw striker - and had discipline issues that clearly threatened the focus and well being of the team. Even if he had stayed - making an about turn would have been an issue for the manager - and there's nothing to suggest that he would have been anything but an extra body up fornt rather than making a real difference, or that we would have found a buyer for any kind of real transfer fee at the end of the season. We couldn't have risked another Ozil and have to remember that we can't force the player to leave - so I can see the logic of (a) accepting a move where he agreed to go, and (b) getting his wage bill off the books.

It would have been great to get the right striker in, but I can see the common sense of not just buying anyone - and then risking another Willian...or another mediocre player that did not work medium term.

Aside from perhaps AMN, I can't see that any of our departures has changed anything. Let's not get hung up on a shitty January where we nevertheless had some encouraging performances, in circumstances where the team was decimated and on its last legs physically.

Yes - failure to bring in fresh blood is dispappointing and a risk. But our aim this season was Europa League and we only have EPL matches left - no other distractions.

We have a long break before our next game, and hopefully fitness issues can be resolved as a result. Persisting with Martinelli as our major goal threat (whether re-purposed as a striker or as part of a decent front 4 - Saka; ESR; Martinelli; Odegard) is not such a bad prospect - so let's see what happens. At the end of the season if its turned to shit, then of course we will point to a January transfer failure as the cause, but for me its not as cut and dried as that yet and we shouldn't get carried away by our failure to land the player we want/need in what traditionally is not a productive transfer period for Arsenal.

Don't fall into the trap of seeing what other clubs are doing - largely in desperation - and forget that up to January (and even against Citeh) this team was doing really well.

Letters
01-02-2022, 04:46 PM
Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is all the hand wringing over January transfers a bit hysterical?
There's always going to be some over-reactions.
And Auba had to go. But the way we've managed it all is so typically poor. We very publicly ostracised him to the point where it was clear to everyone that we were desperate to get rid. That does not lend itself to a strong negotiating position, letting him go for free when he had 18 months left on his contract was ridiculous and desperate and a consequence of that.
I think clearing out some dead wood is, overall, a good thing. But it's disappointing to not get any reinforcements in and our squad now feels very thing.
Makes our push for top 4 - a race we are still very much in - look difficult.
Lots of work to do in the summer.

Mac76
01-02-2022, 05:35 PM
We very publicly ostracised him to the point where it was clear to everyone that we were desperate to get rid. That does not lend itself to a strong negotiating position

This is why all those people defending Arteta's behaviour with some of these players are so wrong, it does exactly what you say and loses us money

and then there are those he just decides he doesn't like the look of and freezes them out or sells them while insisting Xhaka starts every game he isn't suspended from: think Saliba, Balogun, Chambers - we could do with all three of them now but they're all loaned or sold

I am invisible
01-02-2022, 07:05 PM
Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is all the hand wringing over January transfers a bit hysterical? Our best performances this season have been without Aubameyang, who hasn't played since 5 December, and has scored the grand total of 4 EPL goals this season. He had a mediocre season last season, scoring 10 EPL goals - which is ridiculous for a £350K pw striker - and had discipline issues that clearly threatened the focus and well being of the team. Even if he had stayed - making an about turn would have been an issue for the manager - and there's nothing to suggest that he would have been anything but an extra body up fornt rather than making a real difference, or that we would have found a buyer for any kind of real transfer fee at the end of the season. We couldn't have risked another Ozil and have to remember that we can't force the player to leave - so I can see the logic of (a) accepting a move where he agreed to go, and (b) getting his wage bill off the books.

It would have been great to get the right striker in, but I can see the common sense of not just buying anyone - and then risking another Willian...or another mediocre player that did not work medium term.

Aside from perhaps AMN, I can't see that any of our departures has changed anything. Let's not get hung up on a shitty January where we nevertheless had some encouraging performances, in circumstances where the team was decimated and on its last legs physically.

Yes - failure to bring in fresh blood is dispappointing and a risk. But our aim this season was Europa League and we only have EPL matches left - no other distractions.

We have a long break before our next game, and hopefully fitness issues can be resolved as a result. Persisting with Martinelli as our major goal threat (whether re-purposed as a striker or as part of a decent front 4 - Saka; ESR; Martinelli; Odegard) is not such a bad prospect - so let's see what happens. At the end of the season if its turned to shit, then of course we will point to a January transfer failure as the cause, but for me its not as cut and dried as that yet and we shouldn't get carried away by our failure to land the player we want/need in what traditionally is not a productive transfer period for Arsenal.

Don't fall into the trap of seeing what other clubs are doing - largely in desperation - and forget that up to January (and even against Citeh) this team was doing really well.
Yeah, I’m pretty easy about it all tbh - mostly I’m just laughing at the usual media overreaction to anything and everything we do! They so want this to be an Arsenal CRISIS :lol:

The need for an extra midfielder has been and gone, so I can’t be bothered getting worked up about that now, and the odds of bringing in a top striker in January were always long - disappointed we didn’t get anyone, but at least we didn’t lock ourselves into any bad deals either. That’s been as big a problem for us as anything in recent years and I’m kind of glad the people at the top are finally starting to subject our business to some oversight.

Mostly this group of players needed a rest after playing 7 games in December and then rolling straight into a brutal January. And they’re getting that right now in Dubai. We haven’t strengthened, but it’s still the same team who were flying before Christmas, and I’m looking forward to seeing them fully recharged and refreshed again. We have 20 players to see us through 17 games across the next 4 months, and maximum rest in between matches - it should be comfortable enough.

Marc Overmars
01-02-2022, 08:09 PM
Mutual consent is the official line on Auba.

Fair play to him for not rinsing his contract down when he was never going to play. Unlike certain others.

Major saving there for us with his wages.

Must have been one hell of a fallout with Arteta for all parties to just cut ties so suddenly. Quite sad really, he carried us for a couple of years and won us the cup with his goals. Absolute shite since he got the deal though, it’s the right time to move on.

Niall_Quinn
01-02-2022, 08:15 PM

I think you are barking up a tree, maybe with validity, but missing the biggest tree in the forest. Arsenal has been fucking up transfer windows for a long time now. That's the last 2 star players burned and flogged for nothing. We got minimum return on a host of other players too, while genuine shitkickers from other clubs were going for millions.

The levels of incompetency (or complacency) at Arsenal stand out. Yet the fans continue to get fleeced. That's not me. I'm not a fan any more and I wouldn't comment on anyone else deciding how they want to spend their cash other than to say Stan loves you. The more you give him the more he'll demand. Every Arsenal fan must be able to recognise the pattern by now. Wait until the knife-edge, blow some cash to keep things above water, then settle in for the next cycle. Doesn't mean money isn't being spent, it's just not being spent at a frequency that seriously competitive clubs pursue. Then the assets are so seriously mismanaged or wasted you can only laugh, once in despair but now because it's so comical.

Windows like this continue to remind that Arsenal FC is all about the business and nothing about the football. And on the rare occasion I watch them on the pitch it serves as the evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.

IBK
02-02-2022, 09:58 AM
I think you are barking up a tree, maybe with validity, but missing the biggest tree in the forest. Arsenal has been fucking up transfer windows for a long time now. That's the last 2 star players burned and flogged for nothing. We got minimum return on a host of other players too, while genuine shitkickers from other clubs were going for millions.

The levels of incompetency (or complacency) at Arsenal stand out. Yet the fans continue to get fleeced. That's not me. I'm not a fan any more and I wouldn't comment on anyone else deciding how they want to spend their cash other than to say Stan loves you. The more you give him the more he'll demand. Every Arsenal fan must be able to recognise the pattern by now. Wait until the knife-edge, blow some cash to keep things above water, then settle in for the next cycle. Doesn't mean money isn't being spent, it's just not being spent at a frequency that seriously competitive clubs pursue. Then the assets are so seriously mismanaged or wasted you can only laugh, once in despair but now because it's so comical.

Windows like this continue to remind that Arsenal FC is all about the business and nothing about the football. And on the rare occasion I watch them on the pitch it serves as the evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.

I agree that our burning of assets has been lamentable, and my post was directed more to those writing the team off because we didn't panic buy in January rather than this wider issue.

Regarding incompetency - I would say that from Arteta's perspective, his player management has been partly due to him being a rookie manager, and I hope he will learn and improve this now he is moulding a team of players who will buy in to his methods and philosophy. We can't on the one hand observe that the player culture at the club has to change and then be too harsh on a manager who - albeit messily - is trying to change this.

In a wider sense, the fiscal management is indicative of those at the top being clueless and a lack of a coherent strategy - and this firefighting that you refer to is the result. For balance to your post however, we have spent plenty of money, and the Summer's recruitment was a success. Also, our relative lack of footballing success this past few years has played a part. As I say I can understand the lack of incoming players this January and we can only hope that player management improves from here on in.

Letters
02-02-2022, 01:36 PM
(The details of Auba's Barca contract)

Aubameyang's deal runs until 30 June 2025 and includes an option to agree a departure in June 2023, plus a buyout clause of 100 million euros (£83.4m).

Us :pal:

dazthegooner
02-02-2022, 02:40 PM
(The details of Auba's Barca contract)

Us :pal:

So will be at Newcastle soon then? :sarcy:

Mac76
02-02-2022, 02:52 PM
incompetence

corrected - no need to thank me...

KSE Comedy Club
02-02-2022, 03:04 PM
There's always going to be some over-reactions.
And Auba had to go. But the way we've managed it all is so typically poor. We very publicly ostracised him to the point where it was clear to everyone that we were desperate to get rid. That does not lend itself to a strong negotiating position, letting him go for free when he had 18 months left on his contract was ridiculous and desperate and a consequence of that.
I think clearing out some dead wood is, overall, a good thing. But it's disappointing to not get any reinforcements in and our squad now feels very thing.
Makes our push for top 4 - a race we are still very much in - look difficult.
Lots of work to do in the summer.

As usual, it's not the defeat - but the manner in which the defeat occured.

So very 'Arsenal'

KSE Comedy Club
02-02-2022, 03:34 PM
I agree that our burning of assets has been lamentable, and my post was directed more to those writing the team off because we didn't panic buy in January rather than this wider issue.

It doesn't have to be 'panic buys' though.

Some main targets, followed by a few back up options as part of a coherent and planned strategy, would be acceptable.

Chippy
03-02-2022, 08:56 AM
Sorry for banging on about Guendouzi and Saliba but I have read again this morning that the former scored again last night for Marseille and is said to be becoming a natural leader in the midfield.

It is becoming apparent that Arteta has a great knack of falling out with players and he just moves them on. What a shambles.
Arteta and Edu are literally killing this club.
#wengerin

Mac76
03-02-2022, 09:14 AM
Sorry for banging on about Guendouzi and Saliba but I have read again this morning that the former scored again last night for Marseille and is said to be becoming a natural leader in the midfield.

It is becoming apparent that Arteta has a great knack of falling out with players and he just moves them on. What a shambles.
Arteta and Edu are literally killing this club.
#wengerin

Bang on all you like, totally agree with this

KSE Comedy Club
03-02-2022, 09:20 AM

Me too :good:

KSE Comedy Club
03-02-2022, 09:46 AM
At least we now have the £180m spending spree in the summer to look forward to:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1560162/Arsenal-transfer-news-Stan-Kroenke-summer-window-180m-DCL-Isak-Neves-latest

And it appears as though Arteta will have the full backing from owner Stan Kroenke to make the changes he wants in the summer.

The Sun claim that Arteta will have a £180million available to spend on drastically improving his squad.

Two strikers could well be signed with both Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Alexander Isak strongly linked with moves to the Emirates.

And Ruben Neves is named as Arsenal's preferred option in midfield, with the Portuguese talisman said to be valued at £45m.

Still banging on about Isak ffs.

No point buying a player that is less than an average striker

Niall_Quinn
03-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Even so, £160mill is a decent investment if it happens.

Still too late, but a lot of problems can be solved by £120mill.

Two strikers won't be cheap, so that would eat up a big chunk of the £80mill war chest.

Then you need a midfielder, is that possible in this market? Two strikers and a midfielder on a budget of £40mill?

I suppose if we sold a few more players we could increase that £20mill to £20mill.

Plenty of players available on loan too, so we wouldn't necessarily have to blow the whole £10mill in one window.

I can buy my season ticket with confidence now.

KSE Comedy Club
03-02-2022, 01:40 PM
Even so, £160mill is a decent investment if it happens.

Still too late, but a lot of problems can be solved by £120mill.

Two strikers won't be cheap, so that would eat up a big chunk of the £80mill war chest.

Then you need a midfielder, is that possible in this market? Two strikers and a midfielder on a budget of £40mill?

I suppose if we sold a few more players we could increase that £20mill to £20mill.

Plenty of players available on loan too, so we wouldn't necessarily have to blow the whole £10mill in one window.

I can buy my season ticket with confidence now.

:haha::haha:

Chippy
03-02-2022, 02:32 PM

The only hope is that Arteta has gotten rid of the dead wood specifically to bring them back for next season. Both Madrid and Milan are looking at Saliba. Can't really blame him if he goes.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
03-02-2022, 07:58 PM
At least we now have the £180m spending spree in the summer to waste :

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1560162/Arsenal-transfer-news-Stan-Kroenke-summer-window-180m-DCL-Isak-Neves-latest

Anyone who thinks throwing money will solve the problems this joke of a manager has caused this club is clearly living in la la land.

Or please correct me, is money now the cure for people battling with deep seated inferiority complex issues??

Globalgunner
03-02-2022, 08:13 PM
The best transfer we can make is getting rid of this dunce of a manager. No set of new players can cure his malignant stupidity. We are destined for 8th or lower again this season. I doubt we will score another 20 goals before this season ends

KSE Comedy Club
04-02-2022, 10:01 AM
Anyone who thinks throwing money will solve the problems this joke of a manager has caused this club is clearly living in la la land.

Or please correct me, is money now the cure for people battling with deep seated inferiority complex issues??

I don't think anyone thinks that :shrug:

This £180m is just a lure to encourage season ticket renewals.

Letters
04-02-2022, 10:25 AM
I read that we are still paying some of Auba's wages till the summer. :lol:

Feels a bit like our fiancée has called it off, we've let them keep the ring and agreed to keep paying the instalments for it. Have some dignity, man!

IBK
07-02-2022, 04:40 PM
The best transfer we can make is getting rid of this dunce of a manager. No set of new players can cure his malignant stupidity. We are destined for 8th or lower again this season. I doubt we will score another 20 goals before this season ends

Perhaps...but I would prefer to wait and see. Aside from the striker situation, we look in decent shape for the 17 EPL games left. We need to be lucky with injuries/suspensions, but the aim at the beginning of the season was Europa league and I think 8th or lower is pessimistic. Like I said, we all know that a culture shift was needed at our club, and whether or not we think that Arteta is too hard line over 'problem' players, I have some sympathy with wanting to avaoid a situation where our main man was de-stabilising squad unity. It's not difficult to imagine that the relationship with Auba soured as much because he was unsuited to our system and unhappy as much as a pure disciplinary thing. Its also easy to imagine Kroenke saying that he was not going to be bounced into a situation where we paid over the odds for a stop gap.

We will see. The manager has taken a gamble here, and will be judged on its outcome. If it works, then we will be in good shape to kick on in the Summer...

Chippy
07-02-2022, 05:18 PM
It doesn't have to be 'panic buys' though.

Some main targets, followed by a few back up options as part of a coherent and planned strategy, would be acceptable.

The main target should be extending Saka's contract. He has 18 month's left. Surely we cannot make the same mistake with him?

dazthegooner
07-02-2022, 05:43 PM
Well all the "pundits" are already talking about Saka running down his contract (which is bullshit) but yes we must sort out an extension ASAP.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2022, 08:00 PM
The main target should be extending Saka's contract. He has 18 month's left. Surely we cannot make the same mistake with him?

What's the incentive for him to stay? Seriously. I'd love to imagine it's loyalty and gratitude for the club giving him his big break, but is that the way players think (or are permitted to think by their agents) these days? I think we can rule that fanciful possibility out. Which leaves ambition, of which this club has none. Money, we can't compete with any serious rival due to decades of working towards being second rate. Trophies and medals? Nope. The London scene? That seems more realistic than any other. Maybe he'll stay because he doesn't fancy Manchester or Liverpool.

Chippy
07-02-2022, 08:54 PM
What's the incentive for him to stay? Seriously. I'd love to imagine it's loyalty and gratitude for the club giving him his big break, but is that the way players think (or are permitted to think by their agents) these days? I think we can rule that fanciful possibility out. Which leaves ambition, of which this club has none. Money, we can't compete with any serious rival due to decades of working towards being second rate. Trophies and medals? Nope. The London scene? That seems more realistic than any other. Maybe he'll stay because he doesn't fancy Manchester or Liverpool.

We could AT LEAST give him a generous five year contract but add a get out clause. Win, win for both player and club. 👍🏻

I am invisible
08-02-2022, 07:41 AM
Not really worried about Saka - he’s an Arsenal lad, he has a starring role in the team and he’s getting to do it alongside his friends - all this Liverpool noise just looks like classic agent leverage to me.

I doubt anyone will ever come out and say it, but I do wonder if this [Saka’s contract renewal] might have contributed in some small part to the urgency to get Auba out of the club? When your highest earner is on £350k/wk, the numbers being discussed suddenly start to look a lot different…

KSE Comedy Club
08-02-2022, 08:17 AM

Well we've gone from 'aiming for top four' to 'aiming for Europa league'.

Surely they have managed Saka's expectations along with the other players to nullify any real need for or sense of - actual achievement?

IBK
08-02-2022, 09:26 AM
Well we've gone from 'aiming for top four' to 'aiming for Europa league'.

Surely they have managed Saka's expectations along with the other players to nullify any real need for or sense of - actual achievement?

Don't fall into the trap that the agents and sharks want you to fall into. I dislike this idea of having to manage/massage players' expectations. When it comes to top performers this is true in a general sense - a club is subject to market forces, and players need to see a good trajectory, but this is no different to what should be the overall approach of the club. Transfer disappointment aside, we have seen nothing to suggest that this isn't the club's and the manager's aim. As soon as we start focussing on the need to match individual players' ambitions we lose team focus and start being affected by outside noise. The formula is simple. Progress on the pitch. Following early mistalkes by Arteta, we have seen what can be achieved by a young team that buys into the manager's philosophy. I for one am not unhappy with getting rid of players who consider themselves more important with the club, and the direction we have chosen is not one that lends itself to focussing on keeping individual superstars happy.

Saka is a star, but has been made by a club and manager willing to give him a key role and I can't see him being unhappy with where he is at. The club's resonsibility is to tie him into a contract that reflects his further potential, not to reward him for what he has done so far. Progress will mean us achieving the aim that we had at the beginning of the season - European football - and we do this, I have no concerns about him agreeing a new contract.

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2022, 10:03 AM
Don't fall into the trap that the agents and sharks want you to fall into. I dislike this idea of having to manage/massage players' expectations. When it comes to top performers this is true in a general sense - a club is subject to market forces, and players need to see a good trajectory, but this is no different to what should be the overall approach of the club. Transfer disappointment aside, we have seen nothing to suggest that this isn't the club's and the manager's aim. As soon as we start focussing on the need to match individual players' ambitions we lose team focus and start being affected by outside noise. The formula is simple. Progress on the pitch. Following early mistalkes by Arteta, we have seen what can be achieved by a young team that buys into the manager's philosophy. I for one am not unhappy with getting rid of players who consider themselves more important with the club, and the direction we have chosen is not one that lends itself to focussing on keeping individual superstars happy.

Saka is a star, but has been made by a club and manager willing to give him a key role and I can't see him being unhappy with where he is at. The club's resonsibility is to tie him into a contract that reflects his further potential, not to reward him for what he has done so far. Progress will mean us achieving the aim that we had at the beginning of the season - European football - and we do this, I have no concerns about him agreeing a new contract.

You have the right idea about what football ought to be and what it used to be. But isn't today's football primarily about the trap that agents and sharks want you to fall into? Are players still individuals with a talent and a connection to the club? Or are they investment vehicles for wealthy individuals, be those agents, owners, shareholders, and themselves? You know what they say, it's not personal, it's just business.

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2022, 10:09 AM

When was the last contract managed fully to the club's advantage? After Anelka and Overmars I'm coming up with a blank. Other than a few duds we dumped on the gypos when they had more money than sense, what was the last big transfer out where it felt like the buyer was in pain? Not saying it didn't happen, just can't think of anything and it's a rarity nonetheless. What did we get for van Persie, the guy who won the title for Utd the following year?

IBK
09-02-2022, 10:39 AM
You have the right idea about what football ought to be and what it used to be. But isn't today's football primarily about the trap that agents and sharks want you to fall into? Are players still individuals with a talent and a connection to the club? Or are they investment vehicles for wealthy individuals, be those agents, owners, shareholders, and themselves? You know what they say, it's not personal, it's just business.

True, maybe, but IMHO if we are to progress a fundamental and joined up agenda for creating a cohesive team - which is what we saw in our best bits prior to January the we need to be brave and focus on this - rather than worrying primarily about individuals. From where I sit, this is what Arteta is trying to do...

Chippy
09-02-2022, 12:08 PM
True, maybe, but IMHO if we are to progress a fundamental and joined up agenda for creating a cohesive team - which is what we saw in our best bits prior to January the we need to be brave and focus on this - rather than worrying primarily about individuals. From where I sit, this is what Arteta is trying to do...

https://dailycannon.com/2022/02/saka-arsenal-contract-extension/

Doesnt look like Saka is staying then. We aint getting top four this season.

Niall_Quinn
09-02-2022, 01:05 PM
Players have too much power, they know it and they take the piss. I'm not commenting on Saka, but in general.

Why can't we have a notice period in football like in any other job? We kind of do, it's called requesting a transfer. But players don't do this now. They string things out and play one club against the next. Make demands of the club, like a top 4 finish, or guarantees to sign more players. It's smart business, but cancerous for the cohesion of the clubs and long term planning. Every contract has become a gateway to the next early contract negotiation. Why can't we have contracts that run their course and aren't modified until the contract expires? Isn't that what a contract is? You can alway negotiate the next contract in advance, but it shouldn't kick in until the current contract has been honoured.

It'd be simple. Every new contract comes with a 1 year notice period. That notice must be served before a transfer can be authorised. The players will have to say, yep, I'm off, I'm breaking my contract and that's that. They leave at the end of the notice period regardless of any transfer they might secure, unless they withdraw the notice with the club's agreement. They pay compensation for breach of contract. Job done.

Otherwise call it something else, like a dodgy handshake or a favour. Because it's not a real contract if you can keep blackmailing the club and breaking the contract with no penalty.

And we're not even talking about players in reality. We're talking about business suits at the clubs dealing with business suits at the agency. The player is just the asset being traded.

Before Bosman it was tipped too far in the club's favour. Now it has tipped to the other extreme. Is there nobody left in the game who still values the game and isn't focused solely on the cash who could step up and suggest a reasonable compromise? Of course then you'd have the players moaning about how they are "slaves".

IBK
09-02-2022, 02:01 PM
I agree - and the only option left is to try to be the club where players can make a name for themselves, play decent football and therefore commit for the medium term. For all of the criticism of Arsenal, this is clearly what we are now tring to do. The club realises that it needs to try to achieve CL football to keep its best players - which is the imperative, given that we are competing with Clubs with unlimited resources. Its a vicious circle, really because money alone won't buy the best players with the committment to the cause required. Top 4 is a necessity, but we are starting where we are.

It also has to be a longer term play. I think that the club realises that CL qualification this season is an outside bet - the true aim was more incremental - Europa league and push on from there.

TBH until January we were doing a pretty good job of being THE club where upcoming young talent would want to come to help us push on, and while the Auba situation may have set this back a little, for me this has not changed.

The link Chippy has posted above is the kind of crap piece that means nothing (no disrepect to him intended here). Why - because (a) it states the bleeding obvious - lack of CL football will obviously make signing the likes of Saka on to a long term contract more difficult, and (b) is utterly reductive. The reality is that if we continue to show real progress, narrowly missing out on CL places will not automatically mean we can't keep Saka or anyone else. What these players need to see is a plan; stability; and evidence that if we are not already in it, we have a decent chance of getting CL next year. Plus ça change.