PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Chelsea (away).

McNamara That Ghost...
20-04-2022, 08:50 PM
Turn it on to keep Arteta in a job. :lol:

Some performance. Shameful it takes three defeats to get one out of us.

Well done to Nketiah.

Gooner23
20-04-2022, 08:52 PM
Get the fuck in, didn't see that result coming at all.

Great to see the youngsters back on form again, Chelsea couldn't get near them.

And Big Mo coming in to shore up the midfield :bow:

selassie
20-04-2022, 08:54 PM
I really enjoyed that, second half we put in a really professional performance, thought we were all over the place first half. Really pleased that all the homegrowns scored, great result. Not talking about top 4 at the moment because United on Saturday is no easy game despite the fact they are a bag of shite.

Marc Overmars
20-04-2022, 09:11 PM
The best thing about this is that Eddie took his opportunity and finally did something useful. That should be enough to keep Lacazette benched now. Hopefully Arteta isn’t tempted to bring him back in if Eddie is quiet against United. We need something a bit different for these final games.

Letters
20-04-2022, 10:15 PM
Progress :bow:

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2022, 12:06 AM
Don't think I've seen a less accomplished or more worthless individual in an Arsenal shirt than that Tavares bloke, and that includes the fans in the stand and fat people watching on TV at home. It's pretty insulting to the fans and the history of the club for that guy to be walking out on the pitch.

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2022, 12:08 AM
What happened to Pepe? He looked like he had a few clues about moving the ball towards the opposition goal last time I saw him play. Is that why he is benched?

KSE Comedy Club
21-04-2022, 07:30 AM
Don't think I've seen a less accomplished or more worthless individual in an Arsenal shirt than that Tavares bloke, and that includes the fans in the stand and fat people watching on TV at home. It's pretty insulting to the fans and the history of the club for that guy to be walking out on the pitch.

You must be forgetting about Xhaka

KSE Comedy Club
21-04-2022, 07:31 AM
What happened to Pepe? He looked like he had a few clues about moving the ball towards the opposition goal last time I saw him play. Is that why he is benched?

Most likely, yes

KSE Comedy Club
21-04-2022, 07:34 AM
Great result, I had a feeling we might get a win in this game.

Shows what happens when we have a striker on the pitch, up front instead of playing a DM there.

Also we should note the piss poor calamity defending. What the hell are we doing trying to intricate pass our way out from the back when Chelsea have 6 players there waiting to pounce?

Also, Xhaka ?? what kind of deflection attempt was that !?!

Schoolboy stuff

Still, the goals were great to see, and props to Saka for scoring his pel.

Onto the next - Saturday is a must win

KSE Comedy Club
21-04-2022, 07:39 AM
The best thing about this is that Eddie took his opportunity and finally did something useful. That should be enough to keep Lacazette benched now. Hopefully Arteta isn’t tempted to bring him back in if Eddie is quiet against United. We need something a bit different for these final games.

I started to get worried in the second half when I saw Laca warming up on the touchline!

Marc Overmars
21-04-2022, 08:49 AM

Shows what happens when we have a striker on the pitch, up front instead of playing a DM there.

Also we should note the piss poor calamity defending. What the hell are we doing trying to intricate pass our way out from the back when Chelsea have 6 players there waiting to pounce?

Schoolboy stuff

I kind of liked the chaos. It was good to see us take more risks and throw some caution to the wind. The dull and regimented performances have got us in a position to challenge but it will be performances like this that get us over the line. We’ve still got some big wins to get and I hope to see the same on Saturday against a United side in the gutter.

KSE Comedy Club
21-04-2022, 09:04 AM
I kind of liked the chaos. It was good to see us take more risks and throw some caution to the wind. The dull and regimented performances have got us in a position to challenge but it will be performances like this that get us over the line. We’ve still got some big wins to get and I hope to see the same on Saturday against a United side in the gutter.

I agree with that, it was great to see us attacking and causing the Chavs all sorts of problems.

But on another day, the defending could have cost us.

I don't want to take away from a great result, but it is just something that should be noted :good:

selassie
21-04-2022, 10:01 AM

Schoolboy stuff

That first half was comical from both teams. We gave the ball away a hell of a lot too, it was painful watching at times. I thought we improved a lot in the second half though and whilst we were never really in control we did look more assured. Xhaka and Elneny especially stepped up second half.

I agree about the attacking, we looked good going forward all night and caused them all sorts of problems.

KSE Comedy Club
21-04-2022, 10:52 AM
That first half was comical from both teams. We gave the ball away a hell of a lot too, it was painful watching at times. I thought we improved a lot in the second half though and whilst we were never really in control we did look more assured. Xhaka and Elneny especially stepped up second half.

I agree about the attacking, we looked good going forward all night and caused them all sorts of problems.

Absolutely.

Elneny has been pretty solid every time he's come on this season.
Baffling why he doesn't play more tbh.

Xhaka needed to step up really and he did well 2nd half.

Chippy
21-04-2022, 11:48 AM

Schoolboy stuff

Being a miserable old git full of Pessimism. This result was no more than giving us more false hope like last Saturday when the Spuds lost their lunchtime game.

The best that we can hope for is 5th to avoid the toilet Europa Conference League.

Thank you and good day! :tiphat:

Chippy
21-04-2022, 11:50 AM

Good Post! :)

Mac76
21-04-2022, 01:02 PM
Absolutely.

totally agree re Elneny, always thought that

and very grudgingly i'll admit Xhaka MAY have done one or two things that weren't absolutely terrible...

KSE Comedy Club
21-04-2022, 01:33 PM

and very grudgingly i'll admit Xhaka MAY have done one or two things that weren't absolutely terrible...

Hopefully Xhaka's next step is out the door come the summer

I do like Elneny recently, he should play far more than he does

WMUG
21-04-2022, 01:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQ2emoCWYAE0Nk0?format=jpg&name=large

:loveblush:

Letters
21-04-2022, 01:41 PM
Quoted for posterity before he edits it :d

selassie
21-04-2022, 03:14 PM

Xhaka turned his back on a shot for one of their goals though :lol:

He was decent other than that though, very assured performance second half.

selassie
21-04-2022, 03:14 PM
Absolutely.

Aye, Elneny is a decent squad player TBF.

Globalgunner
21-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Seems like deja vu all over again with the last years of Wenger. 3 shitty results followed by a lightning strike of a genius game. Chelea in defence yesterday were like the looney tunes. We all know how this ends. 5th position or worse NEXT season and a new extension for Arteta. We ain't going anywhere with this apprentice. The opposition we face is just too good. A proper manager is needed. NOW.

Mac76
21-04-2022, 09:29 PM
Just watched MOTD and agree with them that it was a pel, Azpi was the original offender, anything Saka does after is irrevelant - if Azpi's arms weren't all over Saka he'd not have conceded a pel, it's that simple

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2022, 10:35 PM
Two chavs should have been sent off and there were 3 decent penalty shouts and only one given. Would be bad form to moan about that return, even for MOTD. The ref was awful and I don't know what the fuck VAR was up to. Some of the soft yellows and reds given in so many games, compared to studs-up Mount and his habitual offending. But that's the game and has been for a long time. It's funny how they have pulled VAR into the bullshit. "VAR is checking it!", as if that makes any difference.

Letters
22-04-2022, 08:43 AM
It's funny how they have pulled VAR into the bullshit. "VAR is checking it!", as if that makes any difference.

Was talking to a mate about this the other night - Spurs season ticket holder :sick:
He says he basically doesn't celebrate goals now almost until there's a kick off. Because till then who knows if the goal will actually be given?
And there's always been that chance of course but now you're having to wait in case the ball randomly brushed someone's arm, because now that's hand ball. Or someone might be a pixel offside. It's complete bullshit.
VAR is not wrong in principle - I think it was used well in the Euros. But the PL are using it really poorly. They have to sort out the offside nonsense. No-one cares if a player is a millimetre offside. We scored a goal at Stamford Bridge some years ago - Van Persie if I remember rightly, and he was miles offside. Obviously I laughed my head off that the goal was given but if VAR deals with stuff like that then fair enough. But when you're having to draw lines and zoom in to see if any tiny part of a player was offside then just let it go. If you're having to look that closely then it clearly wasn't obvious. Get on with it.
And the handball thing is nonsense. Defenders having to put their arms behind their back for fear of an attacker blasting it at their arm from 3 yards and hand ball being given. Utter nonsense.

Niall_Quinn
22-04-2022, 09:02 AM
Was talking to a mate about this the other night - Spurs season ticket holder :sick:
He says he basically doesn't celebrate goals now almost until there's a kick off. Because till then who knows if the goal will actually be given?
And there's always been that chance of course but now you're having to wait in case the ball randomly brushed someone's arm, because now that's hand ball. Or someone might be a pixel offside. It's complete bullshit.
VAR is not wrong in principle - I think it was used well in the Euros. But the PL are using it really poorly. They have to sort out the offside nonsense. No-one cares if a player is a millimetre offside. We scored a goal at Stamford Bridge some years ago - Van Persie if I remember rightly, and he was miles offside. Obviously I laughed my head off that the goal was given but if VAR deals with stuff like that then fair enough. But when you're having to draw lines and zoom in to see if any tiny part of a player was offside then just let it go. If you're having to look that closely then it clearly wasn't obvious. Get on with it.
And the handball thing is nonsense. Defenders having to put their arms behind their back for fear of an attacker blasting it at their arm from 3 yards and hand ball being given. Utter nonsense.

If you go all the way back to early sport it was the exact opposite of what we have now. Leaving technology to one side, I'm sure just as many mistakes were made back then as are made today but, of course, there was no grubby TV producer honing in on everything in slow motion so fans can feel hard done by after the fact. And in the beginning there was sportsmanship. Mistakes were made but they were genuine mistakes, so forgiven as such. It's the irrational pursuit of perfect fairness governed by technology rather than the good will of the participants that's the problem. TV is not there to solve problems, it's there to create them as a cynical form of entertainment. Refs can't be trusted, players can't be trusted not to cheat and dive around the place and try to win advantage by every underhand method. So you bring in VAR to try to sort the mess out. It's the wrong way around and a lost cause from the start. It should be the human beings that change, not the rules.

What is it, 25, 30 years since Robbie Fowler dived in the box but recovered enough dignity to wave the penalty away? If the people directly involved in sport could just have a bit more respect for the game and themselves things would improve. It's possible, but improbable.

Mac76
22-04-2022, 09:30 AM
He says he basically doesn't celebrate goals now almost until there's a kick off.

i don't celebrate spuds goals at all :) - ofc those Arsenal 'fans' with K**t and Sonofabitch in their FPL teams presumably jump up and down with excitement... :rolleyes:

GP
22-04-2022, 10:04 AM

Martinelli vs Brighton last week. The VAR footage literally couldn't tell if he was offside or not, but they still disallowed it. No idea how or why.

Mac76
22-04-2022, 12:06 PM
Martinelli vs Brighton last week. The VAR footage literally couldn't tell if he was offside or not, but they still disallowed it. No idea how or why.

yeah that was outrageous tbf

Xhaka Can’t
22-04-2022, 12:16 PM
If you go all the way back to early sport it was the exact opposite of what we have now. Leaving technology to one side, I'm sure just as many mistakes were made back then as are made today but, of course, there was no grubby TV producer honing in on everything in slow motion so fans can feel hard done by after the fact. And in the beginning there was sportsmanship. Mistakes were made but they were genuine mistakes, so forgiven as such. It's the irrational pursuit of perfect fairness governed by technology rather than the good will of the participants that's the problem. TV is not there to solve problems, it's there to create them as a cynical form of entertainment. Refs can't be trusted, players can't be trusted not to cheat and dive around the place and try to win advantage by every underhand method. So you bring in VAR to try to sort the mess out. It's the wrong way around and a lost cause from the start. It should be the human beings that change, not the rules.

What is it, 25, 30 years since Robbie Fowler dived in the box but recovered enough dignity to wave the penalty away? If the people directly involved in sport could just have a bit more respect for the game and themselves things would improve. It's possible, but improbable.

Couldn’t agree more with this post.

I’ve no issue with VAR correcting genuine mistakes.

But with overturning goals where the fibre of a shirt is deemed offside after having examined it from countless angles frame by frame, we have descended to lunacy and more importantly, more opportunities to fix outcomes.

selassie
22-04-2022, 12:42 PM
Just watched MOTD and agree with them that it was a pel, Azpi was the original offender, anything Saka does after is irrevelant - if Azpi's arms weren't all over Saka he'd not have conceded a pel, it's that simple

Yep, totally agree. I think the mass hysteria and uproar is because it's Arsenal. If it was the other way round and Chelsea's pen nobody would be talking about it!

Mac76
22-04-2022, 02:04 PM
Quoted for posterity before he edits it :d

:lol:

Master Splinter
22-04-2022, 09:22 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lpoxORF-R-8