PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal v Southampton/Arteta player ratings

mandela8
23-10-2022, 04:59 PM
Fuckin shambles.

Worst performance of the season last week so of course Arteta sets up exactly the same. Stupid wee dick that he is.

Canny even be fucked rating people, tbh.

If we have to watch Tommy and White at fullback again this season I swear tae fuck...I'll be right on here moaning like fuck again.

Marc Overmars
23-10-2022, 05:21 PM
Mental that Tomi is playing left back.

It’s one thing to come in and do a job on someone (Salah) but it’s another thing to actually play every week when the same threats aren’t there.

Self sabotage IMO.

Chippy
23-10-2022, 05:40 PM
Fuckin shambles.

Worst performance of the season last week so of course Arteta sets up exactly the same. Stupid wee dick that he is.

Canny even be fucked rating people, tbh.

If we have to watch Tommy and White at fullback again this season I sweat tae fuck...I'll be right on here moaning like fuck again.

Normal service is resumed as the rookie re-appears :thumbsdown:

Letters
23-10-2022, 06:22 PM
Only the second game all season we haven’t won.
Anyone losing their shit over that needs to have a word with themselves.
But the performances of late haven’t been great, we got away with it against Leeds, not today. But you’re not going to win every game, need to get going again in the next game.

Mac76
23-10-2022, 07:03 PM
@Letters

But the point is I and the others here who question some of what Arteta does can clearly point to how predictable this was and the fact that the Leeds game gave a very clear indication of how thin the ice was on which we were skating

Arteta can only see one team and one set of tactics to play, our squad isn't as deep as others but today he could at least have tried starting with Eddie up front and Nelson on the right, ti give Jesus and Saka a break and those others a chance to prove themselvrs.

He just refuses to give squad players hardly any game time in the PL, ignoring the fact that we need those guys to be able to come in and do a job for us

And taking off Odegaard and Martinelli, probably our best two players on the day, was dumb

As for the Tomi thing, he's a very good right back but not a left back, one good job against Salah and he gets the spot over Tierney permanently it seems, which makes no sense

mandela8
23-10-2022, 08:55 PM
Only the second game all season we haven’t won.
Anyone losing their shit over that needs to have a word with themselves.
But the performances of late haven’t been great, we got away with it against Leeds, not today. But you’re not going to win every game, need to get going again in the next game.

Completely missing the point.

mandela8
23-10-2022, 08:57 PM
@Letters

But the point is I and the others here who question some of what Arteta does can clearly point to how predictable this was and the fact that the Leeds game gave a very clear indication of how thin the ice was on which we were skating

Arteta can only see one team and one set of tactics to play, our squad isn't as deep as others but today he could at least have tried starting with Eddie up front and Nelson on the right, ti give Jesus and Saka a break and those others a chance to prove themselvrs.

He just refuses to give squad players hardly any game time in the PL, ignoring the fact that we need those guys to be able to come in and do a job for us

And taking off Odegaard and Martinelli, probably our best two players on the day, was dumb

As for the Tomi thing, he's a very good right back but not a left back, one good job against Salah and he gets the spot over Tierney permanently it seems, which makes no sense

Exactly, man.

Arteta's plan A seems to be everyone else's plan C.
And Arteta doesn't even seem to have a plan B.

Chippy
23-10-2022, 09:21 PM

:gp:

Chippy
23-10-2022, 09:22 PM
Exactly, man.

Arteta's plan A seems to be everyone else's plan C.
And Arteta doesn't even seem to have a plan B.

At least the Spuds lost, it could have been worse.

HCZ_Reborn
23-10-2022, 09:42 PM
Today we were shit second half, against Leeds we were shit throughout.

Yes we know Arteta doesn’t do rotation well, because he put Tomoyasu in against Liverpool and it worked thinks he can repeat the trick against Leeds and Southampton. We also don’t especially have a squad with depth in it.

But I would query the idea of starting Eddie Nketiah, he simply hasn’t done enough to warrant a start. And as for Reis Nelson are you fucking kidding me.

Eddie N has not even been that great this season in the Europa league….incredibly wasteful.

It’s disappointing result today in the broader context of the season, and the context that yes most of us could see we were going to drop points elsewhere because we look like we are treading water.

But I’m convinced that last season we would have lost to both Leeds and Southampton

Mac76
23-10-2022, 09:51 PM
But I would query the idea of starting Eddie Nketiah, he simply hasn’t done enough to warrant a start. And as for Reis Nelson are you fucking kidding me.

Eddie N has not even been that great this season in the Europa league….incredibly wasteful.

Sure, I knew that when i wrote it, but for me at some point you have to do it, even if you know they aren't good enough (though I'd argue Nelson has never really been given a proper chance to build some confidence), I just can't accept the logic of running players into the ground.

The fact is Arteta has either 100% faith or 0% faith in most players and that just isn't healthy.

Ultimately though, to make top four we need to spend in January, on another striker, another RW and another CM at least

And he needs to play our best LB at LB...

Globalgunner
24-10-2022, 06:43 AM

"Its his claim to fame...and its a damn shame"

Marc Overmars
24-10-2022, 08:53 AM
Sure, I knew that when i wrote it, but for me at some point you have to do it, even if you know they aren't good enough (though I'd argue Nelson has never really been given a proper chance to build some confidence), I just can't accept the logic of running players into the ground.

The fact is Arteta has either 100% faith or 0% faith in most players and that just isn't healthy.

Ultimately though, to make top four we need to spend in January, on another striker, another RW and another CM at least

And he needs to play our best LB at LB...

I don’t believe Nelson has a future here, I can see him getting sold at the earliest opportunity. Marquinhos is the one who should be getting some minutes.

I agree we need another option up front though or at least another wide player who can score 10 goals or so.

Mac76
24-10-2022, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I'd already forgotten about Marquinhos, but then again so has Arteta I think :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
24-10-2022, 10:08 AM
I don’t believe Nelson has a future here, I can see him getting sold at the earliest opportunity. Marquinhos is the one who should be getting some minutes.

I agree we need another option up front though or at least another wide player who can score 10 goals or so.

Cannot see us signing three players in January but think we need to. Central Midfielder, Wide player and striker

selassie
24-10-2022, 10:13 AM
Mental that Tomi is playing left back.

It’s one thing to come in and do a job on someone (Salah) but it’s another thing to actually play every week when the same threats aren’t there.

Self sabotage IMO.

It's the kind of thing Pep does at City, mind you he has higher calibre players to choose from. The Tomi left back experiment needs to stop though, it's not like there is anything wrong with Tierney unless he is still working his way back to full fitness? I don't know.

selassie
24-10-2022, 10:18 AM
Like others I wasn't too impressed with our performance yesterday or Arteta's, however I am not sure I agree with rotating the squad too much, we simply lack quality depth options, we are still in that stage of upgrading our squad depth. I do agree that Arteta made some strange decisions yesterday with the Tomi continuing at left back and taking off Ode and Martinelli, but it could be worse and we have only dropped points in 2 games, yes 2 games so far this season!!! Our start has been near flawless. That doesn't mean we should now let standards drop, but we have to accept we are not going to get perfect performances every week or even win every week!

IBK
24-10-2022, 10:34 AM
Disappointing result. Horrendous officiating - but we should have won this game nevertheless.

For me, the team was guilty of complacency. We were alright in the first half, and scored too early - but IMO the players dropped several levels in the second half because they thought we had the game.

The other thing that worries me is that teams have inevitably worked us out. If we don't go 2 goals ahead after our customary first half an hour blitz, they play a low block and wait for the inevitable opening that our high line will present. Earlier on in the season, Jesus' genius would keep the other team well penned back and he would tend either to score or pull the other team so out of defensive shape that someone else would profit. For the past few games he has been marked out of the game, and seems to be playing at 75% since the Liverpool game. Xhaka aside, we have begun to look a bit predicable, and there seems to be an absence of game changers to bring on. I do not think that either Nketiah or Vieira are impact subs.

And I agree with those questioning the manager's personnel decisions. Tomi at LB worked against Liverpool, but he should not be being started there every game. There is nothing wrong with Tierney there. We are seeing the same mistakes made with our back up players that we saw last season. It won't work - either phsychologically or in player effectiveness not giving starts/playing time to the likes of Eddie; Vieira or Marquinos, and then expecting them to make the difference when a game is already drifting away from us and the general level of the team has dropped. We saw last season how Eddie needs consecutive starts to reach full performance, and its not fair to him to play him out wide and expect results. If anything it should be the other way round. Give these players starts and bring on the so-called 'big guns' if things arent going to plan. Arteta's lack of faith in players on the fringes of the first team is worrying, when everyone can see that we are looking a bit flat recently.

That said - the weekend results have shown is that almost any team can take points off those in the leading pack, and our good start sees us top. We can't let the rot start though.

HCZ_Reborn
24-10-2022, 10:52 AM
Like others I wasn't too impressed with our performance yesterday or Arteta's, however I am not sure I agree with rotating the squad too much, we simply lack quality depth options, we are still in that stage of upgrading our squad depth. I do agree that Arteta made some strange decisions yesterday with the Tomi continuing at left back and taking off Ode and Martinelli, but it could be worse and we have only dropped points in 2 games, yes 2 games so far this season!!! Our start has been near flawless. That doesn't mean we should now let standards drop, but we have to accept we are not going to get perfect performances every week or even win every week!

I have to say I agree with this, it’s really not like the players not getting a look in are particularly showing that much in the Europa league. Nketiah who I do like was poor in the last two games he started, and he was giving the ball away a lot against Southampton.
The Tomoyasu thing is galaxy brained and I think he didn’t seem to know what he was doing when trying to defend against Elyounoussi for their equaliser.

Whilst I far from agree with all his transfer decisions I do think he is slowly building a squad, I am it’s abundantly clear no fan of Arteta but I’m not going to get too much on his case yesterday…the players needed to be more clinical in front of goal in the first half but equally I’m not heartbroken about dropping points against Southampton.

Mac76
24-10-2022, 12:45 PM
i agree with the comments about Eddie, but Jesus wasn't up to much yesterday so we have to use what we have until we can buy in January when we really need to buy

Letters
24-10-2022, 12:47 PM
@Letters

You're going to get off days, patches in a season where you wobble, unless you're City and can bring world class players off the bench.
It's too early to tell if this is one of those rough patches in a season or whether we are starting to struggle - we have been riding our luck a bit and definitely got away with it at Leeds.
Overall we are way ahead of where any of us expected us to be so far this season. We need to pick up some more points before the World Cup, I wonder if that being in the middle of the season will actually help us a bit.

IBK
24-10-2022, 01:24 PM
I have to say I agree with this, it’s really not like the players not getting a look in are particularly showing that much in the Europa league. Nketiah who I do like was poor in the last two games he started, and he was giving the ball away a lot against Southampton.
The Tomoyasu thing is galaxy brained and I think he didn’t seem to know what he was doing when trying to defend against Elyounoussi for their equaliser.

Whilst I far from agree with all his transfer decisions I do think he is slowly building a squad, I am it’s abundantly clear no fan of Arteta but I’m not going to get too much on his case yesterday…the players needed to be more clinical in front of goal in the first half but equally I’m not heartbroken about dropping points against Southampton.

I'm not going to defend Eddie's past couple of performances, but he was by no means the only player giving the ball away against Southampton - the whole team was. Eddie scored in the 1st leg vs Bodo Glimt, so we are only really talking about the 2 subsequent Europa League games where he started but failed to score, and the away leg at Bodo can really be chalked off as a whole team bad day.

I do feel that if Arteta wants to see the best from him, Eddie needs to have a run starting in games where we are not playing a second string team, and as a number 9. If nothing else, we need to see whether if given this responsibility he can get to where he was for us when he got a go last season.

Like you, I don't think we need to be too downhearted about the result yesterday, but I would like to see us being able to rely on other options when first teamers aren't firing.

HCZ_Reborn
24-10-2022, 02:19 PM
I'm not going to defend Eddie's past couple of performances, but he was by no means the only player giving the ball away against Southampton - the whole team was. Eddie scored in the 1st leg vs Bodo Glimt, so we are only really talking about the 2 subsequent Europa League games where he started but failed to score, and the away leg at Bodo can really be chalked off as a whole team bad day.

I do feel that if Arteta wants to see the best from him, Eddie needs to have a run starting in games where we are not playing a second string team, and as a number 9. If nothing else, we need to see whether if given this responsibility he can get to where he was for us when he got a go last season.

Like you, I don't think we need to be too downhearted about the result yesterday, but I would like to see us being able to rely on other options when first teamers aren't firing.

You’d have to point to where I’ve said he was the only person giving the ball away, I think the only reason I mention it is because I think with a lot of players it was fatigue, but with others like Eddie and Vieira there was a bit of a lack of finesse.

It’s not just the lack of goals. He scored in the home game against Bodo but was exceptionally wasteful given the positions he got himself into.

Feels like either a lack of confidence or is trying too hard, and it’s hard to know whether being played more than he is, is the solution or not.

Well possibly start him against Forest, with the added consideration that if Jesus gets booked he misses the game against Chelsea

mandela8
24-10-2022, 05:25 PM
You're going to get off days, patches in a season where you wobble, unless you're City and can bring world class players off the bench.
It's too early to tell if this is one of those rough patches in a season or whether we are starting to struggle - we have been riding our luck a bit and definitely got away with it at Leeds.
Overall we are way ahead of where any of us expected us to be so far this season. We need to pick up some more points before the World Cup, I wonder if that being in the middle of the season will actually help us a bit.

Still missing the point.

You can call them off days but they're largely self inflicted. That's the frustration.

We've all seen the problems taking hold and to most there are pretty obvious solutions, or at least attempted solutions, rather than simply persevering.

Your position seems to be that arsenal are ahead of where most thought so there's no need to optimize. Basically everyone else thinks there are potential solutions that can further improve the position.

Letters
24-10-2022, 05:38 PM
Yes, I am familiar with the concept that many football fans think they’d be really good football managers because they're good at FIFA 23* and won the treble with Acrington Stanley.
*not in to gaming, swap that for whatever manager game the kids are playing these days.

mandela8
24-10-2022, 07:19 PM
Yes, I am familiar with the concept that many football fans think they’d be really good football managers because they're good at FIFA 23* and won the treble with Acrington Stanley.
*not in to gaming, swap that for whatever manager game the kids are playing these days.

You know you run a board for football debate and discussion, right??

Fuck me, man.

Letters
24-10-2022, 07:44 PM
You know you run a board for football debate and discussion, right?.

I do. And as such people are free to express their opinion, as they have, and I’m free to express mine.
See? That’s how this place works.

selassie
25-10-2022, 12:55 PM

:coffee: :lol:

Letters
25-10-2022, 01:02 PM
Saw the highlights, it didn't really show how poor we were in the second half. Overall it looked like a #decent performance which on another day would have got us 3 points.
The penalty claims could have gone the other way, I've seen ones given for less than the way Jesus was being held.
Less worried about this performance than the one at Leeds where we really did get away with it.

IBK
25-10-2022, 03:47 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/arsenal-fan-creates-video-showing-all-of-the-refereeing-mistakes-made-in-southampton-draw/ar-AA13jBLr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=262314281f864889815df3b093c12933

Not very edifying viewing. I don't want to blame our dropped points on the referee - because it was our failure to finish that did us but.....sheesh!

IBK
25-10-2022, 03:58 PM
You’d have to point to where I’ve said he was the only person giving the ball away, I think the only reason I mention it is because I think with a lot of players it was fatigue, but with others like Eddie and Vieira there was a bit of a lack of finesse.

It’s not just the lack of goals. He scored in the home game against Bodo but was exceptionally wasteful given the positions he got himself into.

Feels like either a lack of confidence or is trying too hard, and it’s hard to know whether being played more than he is, is the solution or not.

Well possibly start him against Forest, with the added consideration that if Jesus gets booked he misses the game against Chelsea

Fair enough. But I think as much as anything else that the style of football we want to play - high tempo; high precision; 'telepathic' football requires absolute 100% both physically and mentally, and IMO both facets dropped by the second half on Sunday. Eddie came on (too late) when the team was already ragged, and I don't think its fair to judge him as a sub playing on the left (not where he should be playing for best effectiveness), and in these circumstances.

The bottom line is that Arteta gave him a big contract and he has to trust him as deputy for Jesus. We have seen in the past how not trusting replacement players has come back to bite the manager when they inevitably have to be called on, and I don't want to see the same mistakes made. I have defended Arteta - but there is a blind spot when it comes to draining confidence from players by not trusting them.