PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Chelsea (away).

McNamara That Ghost...
06-11-2022, 01:58 PM
Three wins in a row at Stamford Bridge. :bow:

That was great. Chelsea were dominated by us really.

Saliba is fucking immense.

Mac76
06-11-2022, 01:59 PM
brilliant stuff, so good to watch and yes Saliba is god

Letters
06-11-2022, 02:01 PM
Arteta :bow:

GP
06-11-2022, 02:02 PM
Relax guys, we haven't played a big team yet

Marc Overmars
06-11-2022, 02:03 PM
Huge win. We’re so good at the moment. Arteta has transformed us entirely, to the point now where I think we may have a title challenge in us.

Hopefully our momentum isn’t spoiled by the World Cup.

This was another game we should have won by more though. Jesus’ drought is annoying me now and he’s in danger of missing out on the Brazil squad. On the plus side at least he’d be rested but I wonder how much of his confidence would also be damaged.

HCZ_Reborn
06-11-2022, 02:07 PM
Huge win. We’re so good at the moment. Arteta has transformed us entirely, to the point now where I think we may have a title challenge in us.

Still don’t see it, not enough goals in the team without considerable reinforcement in January, I still think top 4 has to be the aim and it’s an aim I think we are well placed to get. Having seen off Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs in the past five weeks.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not 100% ruling it out…just 95% doing so.

selassie
06-11-2022, 02:08 PM

Taking everything into consideration so far this season, (results and performances), i would be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 2 this season. Arteta has built a really good team here.

Marc Overmars
06-11-2022, 02:10 PM
Still don’t see it, not enough goals in the team without considerable reinforcement in January, I still think top 4 has to be the aim and it’s an aim I think we are well placed to get. Having seen off Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs in the past five weeks.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not 100% ruling it out…just 95% doing so.

Yes I suspect any downfall will be caused by a lack of killer edge up front.

But we can defend now and we’re far more resilient, so that will help a lot if things aren’t happening up front.

GP
06-11-2022, 02:12 PM
This is Arsenal's best record after 13 league games in the club's history.

HCZ_Reborn
06-11-2022, 02:12 PM
Taking everything into consideration so far this season, (results and performances), i would be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 2 this season. Arteta has built a really good team here.

Yeah I think second is a realistic aim…

Don’t get me wrong, I genuinely think if this were ten years ago we would be pretty much in pole position to go on and win the title. But just think City is a monster, and whilst I don’t like buying into the referee conspiracy I do think yesterday underlines that they will get more favourable decisions than us over the course of the season.

Xhaka Can’t
06-11-2022, 02:13 PM
It was fucking unbelievable

HCZ_Reborn
06-11-2022, 02:17 PM
Yes I suspect any downfall will be caused by a lack of killer edge up front.

But we can defend now and we’re far more resilient, so that will help a lot if things aren’t happening up front.

I think certainly at centre back we have the best defenders in the league

Chippy
06-11-2022, 02:18 PM
brilliant stuff, so good to watch and yes Saliba is god

It's a shame he'll go to City though.
Really good player.

McNamara That Ghost...
06-11-2022, 02:19 PM
Somebody get the message to Arteta we play Wolves on Saturday.

HCZ_Reborn
06-11-2022, 02:24 PM
Somebody get the message to Arteta we play Wolves on Saturday.

In fairness I thought we were playing them on a Sunday till a few days ago. And we are literally off the back of playing five league games in a row on a Sunday

mandela8
06-11-2022, 02:39 PM
Would still take 4th place if it was offered right now, tbh.

Just don't have enough in the front 3 positions to sustain this.

I think off the ball the team were unreal today and as much as I avoid giving Arteta credit that's down to him. I think Chelsea were as poor as arsenal made them.

selassie
06-11-2022, 02:58 PM
Yeah I think second is a realistic aim…

Don’t get me wrong, I genuinely think if this were ten years ago we would be pretty much in pole position to go on and win the title. But just think City is a monster, and whilst I don’t like buying into the referee conspiracy I do think yesterday underlines that they will get more favourable decisions than us over the course of the season.

Totally agree. I think given City's manager, their squad and their experience you have to say they are clear title favourites this season. That doesn't mean I don't think we will run them close, because as it stands...that's how things look to be shaping up.

We are going to need to do everything in our power to beef up the squad in January. We have a real chance now of cementing ourselves as a top 2/3 team over the next few years if we can keep this current team together and add quality to the squad.

selassie
06-11-2022, 08:41 PM
Would still take 4th place if it was offered right now, tbh.

Just don't have enough in the front 3 positions to sustain this.

I think off the ball the team were unreal today and as much as I avoid giving Arteta credit that's down to him. I think Chelsea were as poor as arsenal made them.

Honestly, I am leaning towards top 2, 3rd as a minimum. I have seen enough of this team now to know this isn't a flash in the pan. We have a bunch of emerging players who all have really high potential, they are delivering top class performances every single week now and the signs were there last season.

There is still a long way to go and I know injuries and stuff like that play a part, but if we continue this current level of performance with the odd dip here and there then we look odds on for 80-85 points minimum, that's a top 3 finish most seasons.

Letters
06-11-2022, 08:49 PM
Aye. I'm beginning to think I wouldn't just settle for Top 4 now. That was my benchmark at the start of the season, Top 4 or Arteta Out. But there's a bit more to this lot and we should be working to push City all the way. When push comes to shove their squad depth is going to steamroller us, but after them I don't think anyone else is as good as them, so why not think we could get 2nd?

Marc Overmars
06-11-2022, 10:00 PM
Top 4 should now be expected, to not finish in there from this position would be catastrophic. I don’t think the title is really on anyone’s mind but I do believe there is a possibility now to make a good fist of it. Title races are run in the spring, not November so it’s difficult to really get that excited at the moment. We have as good a chance as anyone though based off what we’ve seen so far and a third of the season is a good sample of games to go off.

It’s a pity the game with City was postponed because I’d be fascinated to see how we’d do against them. No idea when that game will be rearranged but the fact we’ll probably have to play them twice in a short space of time could determine a lot in the second part of the season.

Anyway, so much to come but you can’t fault what we’ve seen so far. I’m just praying the World Cup doesn’t spoil our momentum.

Ralpheroo72
06-11-2022, 10:20 PM
Saliba looks so assured on the ball, nothing frightens him. His confidence spreads through that team. I was worried that we paid too much for Odegaard, but he too is another worldie. I am beginning to believe, and I am really buying into this group of players, there is a togetherness there too, getting rid of the ego's has really paid off!

mandela8
07-11-2022, 01:09 AM
Honestly, I am leaning towards top 2, 3rd as a minimum. I have seen enough of this team now to know this isn't a flash in the pan. We have a bunch of emerging players who all have really high potential, they are delivering top class performances every single week now and the signs were there last season.

There is still a long way to go and I know injuries and stuff like that play a part, but if we continue this current level of performance with the odd dip here and there then we look odds on for 80-85 points minimum, that's a top 3 finish most seasons.

I mean, I'd love to share your confidence but they're as capable of Leeds and Southampton performance as they are Chelsea and Liverpool ones, man. That's the worry for me. They could go on a bad run of 3,4,5 games...maybe the pessimism is just ingrained in me noo, ffs...the positive thing is none of the other top 4 rivals look capable of really capitalizing on a bad run of form, tbh. I do think Liverpool will go on a run at some point but Chelsea, Man U, Spurs and Newcastle will all lose games too.

HCZ_Reborn
07-11-2022, 06:45 AM
Aye. I'm beginning to think I wouldn't just settle for Top 4 now. That was my benchmark at the start of the season, Top 4 or Arteta Out. But there's a bit more to this lot and we should be working to push City all the way. When push comes to shove their squad depth is going to steamroller us, but after them I don't think anyone else is as good as them, so why not think we could get 2nd?

It’s not really relevant though is it, outside getting into the top four it doesn’t really matter which position in the top four we occupy barring say if we finish 4th and have to go through qualifiers…or if someone like Chelsea or Liverpool finish outside the top four but win the champions league (and even then don’t we go into the champions league anyway?)

With Spurs eight point behind us having played a game extra id be disappointed if we didn’t finish above them, but we have to be mindful that aside from the Nottingham Forest game we have failed to score more than once on seven out of eight occasions in the past month. Neither of our strikers are scoring goals, which then puts pressure on other players in the team to provide them.
Despite some pretty unsure performances it’s our defence that’s getting us through games (six clean sheets from last eight)
If we want to challenge we will need to buy in January.

Ollie the Optimist
07-11-2022, 08:55 AM
When do we start talking about a genuine title challenge?

We have played 13 games so a third into the season and we are top with 11 wins, a draw & a loss. I think thats our best ever start after 13 games in our history. We look a different team.

When we were playing well in September, the critics said wait until October when we have loads of games including spurs & Liverpool clearly expecting us to fall apart. We didnt, we won them easily. Playing Thursday nights and Sundays and we came through it. Sure some performances like Leeds haven’t been our best but the difference this year is we found a way to win yet in previous years, we lose or draw those games.

On the other hand, city have only played two of the big sides. United at home for city isnt a challenge based on recent years and they won easily as expected but their first real test was Liverpool away and they lost. They were lucky to beat Fulham this weekend with a dive in the last minute to get hte penalty. They’ve had a couple of draws (villa & Newcastle) but otherwise when you compare the fixture lists so far, they had the much easier of the two and we are two points clear.

Of course, its a marathon not a sprint, and their squad depth will come into play in the winter but each week, arsenal get told oh wait until you play x next month etc and each time, we keep winning. We need investment in January to really push but is it not reasonable now to expect a genuine challenge?

Letters
07-11-2022, 09:06 AM
When do we start talking about a genuine title challenge?
Easter, I reckon. Let's see where we are then.
But I agree things are better than any of us could possibly have hoped right now.
Squad depth looks like it will cost us. I think the World Cup could actually help us. In a strange way it could give everyone a breather, especially if the sides our players are in don't do so well.

GP
07-11-2022, 09:16 AM
I've we've got a 10 point lead with 3 games to go, I might start to think we have a chance.

Marc Overmars
07-11-2022, 09:26 AM
It’s a possibility and I think we could be a lot closer than many think however title races don’t mean much in November. The difficulty in projecting where we could be is that there isn’t really any evidence to support our case, this is all very new to us and we’re rightly seen as huge underdogs because of that.

I’ve always said if we’re anywhere near City in the spring then we’d have done incredibly well. From that point, sure the title could very much be a realistic goal. For now though, one game at a time but there’s no harm in dreaming. Ignore the media and all the footballing world who are salivating at the prospect of us falling away.

HCZ_Reborn
07-11-2022, 10:39 AM
It’s a possibility and I think we could be a lot closer than many think however title races don’t mean much in November. The difficulty in projecting where we could be is that there isn’t really any evidence to support our case, this is all very new to us and we’re rightly seen as huge underdogs because of that.

I’ve always said if we’re anywhere near City in the spring then we’d have done incredibly well. From that point, sure the title could very much be a realistic goal. For now though, one game at a time but there’s no harm in dreaming. Ignore the media and all the footballing world who are salivating at the prospect of us falling away.

Yep pretty much

I’d have taken a draw yesterday even though it means City would have gone top, because I’m mainly of the view that a title challenge would be fanciful. There are a couple of things in our favour, that City will perhaps prioritise winning the champions league something you can tell drives Guardiola, and if we retain our two point lead next weekend it will be as a result of having played two more away games than City - who will after the World Cup have to go to United, Tottenham, Chelsea and us. Plus there are always other away fixtures that are potential banana skins.
That’s in our favour against the mountain of things that are not, City having a bigger and more talented squad, having a freak of nature in Haaland, a more experienced coach in Guardiola and being able to score more goals than us.

But yeah it is nice to enjoy that we are getting results, sometimes the performances are there and sometimes they are not. The games like PSV where we are shit from beginning to end are not as common as they were last season which is also good.

Ralpheroo72
07-11-2022, 10:44 AM
I think the board need to back him in January, squad is thin, some reinforcements could help us push on.

HCZ_Reborn
07-11-2022, 10:50 AM
I think the board need to back him in January, squad is thin, some reinforcements could help us push on.

Equally he needs to actually buy players in positions we need

I’d argue there are three key areas that need strengthening

Central Midfield (as much as I pillory Xhaka the real weak link in our midfield has been Lokonga, Elneny is fine to whack on as an extra body when protecting a lead but we need someone who isn’t going to leave us high and dry if Partey gets injured or indicted)

Winger (less of a concern if Reiss Nelson can put in the kind of performance he did against Forest, but a lot of speculation linking us with Mudryk)

Striker (we just need someone who can offer something different to Gabriel Jesus, a dare I say it Giroud like player)

Letters
07-11-2022, 11:01 AM
I'm not expecting us to do much in January, if anything.
One thing which really encourages me yesterday is that after City cheated their way to a win (Oi, VAR, what are you playing at?!), our game became a "must win" in the context of a title challenge. It fees like if City get their noses in front that they'll just keep going. And I wasn't confident, but we won a tricky away game in a pressure situation. All the stuff about us "not having played anyone yet" is gone. The thing which will scupper us is probably injuries and squad depth, but there's something about this lot which makes me think we're going to be closer come May than any of us dared dream pre-season.

selassie
07-11-2022, 11:14 AM
I mean, I'd love to share your confidence but they're as capable of Leeds and Southampton performance as they are Chelsea and Liverpool ones, man. That's the worry for me. They could go on a bad run of 3,4,5 games...maybe the pessimism is just ingrained in me noo, ffs...the positive thing is none of the other top 4 rivals look capable of really capitalizing on a bad run of form, tbh. I do think Liverpool will go on a run at some point but Chelsea, Man U, Spurs and Newcastle will all lose games too.

It's not even confidence, it's based on what I have seen so far this season. Not just the results, the performances. We have controlled and dominated pretty much every game we have played so far this season in PL, we have dropped points in 2 games, 2!!!

Not only that, but no team can put in a perfect performance every single week, not even Man City who have been wobbling a bit lately.

At the moment consistency isn't our issue, we are consistently putting in good performances with the results to match. There is a long way to go but right now we are in a good place and it's not by luck.

Marc Overmars
07-11-2022, 11:17 AM
Was having a look through the fixtures for fun and saw that we play Liverpool and City away in April. :rose:

Letters
07-11-2022, 11:20 AM
Was having a look through the fixtures for fun and saw that we play Liverpool and City away in April. :rose:

6 points :bow:

HCZ_Reborn
07-11-2022, 11:34 AM
I'm not expecting us to do much in January, if anything.
One thing which really encourages me yesterday is that after City cheated their way to a win (Oi, VAR, what are you playing at?!), our game became a "must win" in the context of a title challenge. It fees like if City get their noses in front that they'll just keep going. And I wasn't confident, but we won a tricky away game in a pressure situation. All the stuff about us "not having played anyone yet" is gone. The thing which will scupper us is probably injuries and squad depth, but there's something about this lot which makes me think we're going to be closer come May than any of us dared dream pre-season.

Well we certainly Won’t bring in three players but I can see some activity even if it’s just a loan (which wouldn’t be a terrible idea)

mandela8
07-11-2022, 03:28 PM
It's not even confidence, it's based on what I have seen so far this season. Not just the results, the performances. We have controlled and dominated pretty much every game we have played so far this season in PL, we have dropped points in 2 games, 2!!!

Not only that, but no team can put in a perfect performance every single week, not even Man City who have been wobbling a bit lately.

At the moment consistency isn't our issue, we are consistently putting in good performances with the results to match. There is a long way to go but right now we are in a good place and it's not by luck.

All fair...I'm just not quite there.

Watching the games, I dont think they've "controlled and dominated". Even if they have, it's certainly not been reflected in the scorelines with most games being won by 1 goal.

It's actually weird, Arsenal are the only team to score in every game but every game I worry about where the goals are going to come from. Maybe I'm being irrational, after a couple of false dawn's over the past two decades...I just don't see the quality in the team to sustain this. I've said before that Partey is Arsenal's only elite player and that's still the case for me, although hopefully Odegaard, Sailba and Martinelli can take that next step.

If they signed a goal threat wide/striker type player then I may get onboard.

GP
07-11-2022, 03:37 PM
We should sign that guy from Napoli whose name I can't pronounce.

mandela8
07-11-2022, 03:58 PM
We should sign that guy from Napoli whose name I can't pronounce.

Osinheim??

Would be expensive and think he plays CF...although I've no issue bumping Jesus out wide as he's not scoring anyway.

More realistically, someone like Zaha would still be good. 3 years too late but I'm sure his contract is expiring and he's still a top performer. The Murdyk boy, all the rumours focus on, looked very good against Scotland and Celtic, the 3 times I've seen him play...but it was 3 games...against Scotland and Celtic. I really don't follow as closely as I used to so fuck knows on alternatives.

Marc Overmars
07-11-2022, 04:01 PM

Watching the games, I dont think they've "controlled and dominated". Even if they have, it's certainly not been reflected in the scorelines with most games being won by 1 goal.

It's actually weird, Arsenal are the only team to score in every game but every game I worry about where the goals are going to come from. Maybe I'm being irrational, after a couple of false dawn's over the past two decades...I just don't see the quality in the team to sustain this. I've said before that Partey is Arsenal's only elite player and that's still the case for me, although hopefully Odegaard, Sailba and Martinelli can take that next step.

You’d be right to be irrational anyway because of the shit we’ve endured for years. It’s hard to be optimistic when we haven’t been in this conversation for so long, it’s almost like the fanbase can’t really compute what we’re seeing.

We don’t have killers up front and that’s where I think we’ll come up short. Players who will turn a 1-0 into a 2 or 3 goal lead before the opponent has a chance to impact the game. We were so much better than Chelsea yet still could only muster a goal via some dodgy defending.

Thankfully our defenders are excellent though.

Globalgunner
07-11-2022, 05:37 PM
I know Salah is at the top of his game but just contrast the chances he took against Spurs with the fluffed chances by Saka and Odegaard. We could have dropped 2 or even 3 points if Chelsea had played any better. We have to be more lethal it could cost us dearly in really tight games.

With Salah it was 1 touch to control and another to put it in the net. Even Jesus isnt that incisive

GP
07-11-2022, 07:34 PM
Osinheim??

Would be expensive and think he plays CF...although I've no issue bumping Jesus out wide as he's not scoring anyway.

More realistically, someone like Zaha would still be good. 3 years too late but I'm sure his contract is expiring and he's still a top performer. The Murdyk boy, all the rumours focus on, looked very good against Scotland and Celtic, the 3 times I've seen him play...but it was 3 games...against Scotland and Celtic. I really don't follow as closely as I used to so fuck knows on alternatives.

Nah, not him. The other one. Name looks like a bad scrabble hand.

Letters
08-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Saw the highlights. Jesus :bow:
Some people are concerned about his lack of goals, he should be getting more but his all round play is brilliant. The way he plays other people in and works to get the ball back. He adds so much to this team.

selassie
08-11-2022, 11:14 AM

Fair enough.

Most games haven't been won by 1 goal, we have won just as many games by 3 or 2 goal differences, with Forest being the exception as a 5-0.

The past decade has nothing to do with this team to be brutally honest. The players we have now, not last season, right now include two serial PL winners who are both fairly young and good players. We also have some of the best young talents in the league, if not Europe in attack and central defence.

We do have a thin squad and that's where I personally think we will fall short if we don't at the least add quality to it in January.

I agree re: Goal threat wide/striker type signing.

HCZ_Reborn
08-11-2022, 01:27 PM
Saw the highlights. Jesus :bow:
Some people are concerned about his lack of goals, he should be getting more but his all round play is brilliant. The way he plays other people in and works to get the ball back. He adds so much to this team.

It is and it isn’t a concern, you’re absolutely right that he offers so much more to the team than sticking the ball in the net

But we do lack someone who is going to score consistently. Odegaard, Saka, Martinelli are decent players but they score in patches and then not again for a few games.

I think there are times where he needs to be a bit more selfish