PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Shitshow 2022 thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

HCZ_Reborn
11-11-2022, 11:35 AM
So I suspect the reaction of most of us on here about the forthcoming World Cup and whether it should be held at all ranges from indifference to being outright opposed.

So we know stadium workers have died, and there has been issues of having their passport confiscated, signing contracts that prevented them from leaving the country, weren’t getting paid properly, on time and sometimes even at all.

However before today I wasn’t aware of the total number of deaths, but it is estimated to be in and around the 6,500 mark. Over an eight year period, that’s 15 people a week. The death certificates listing these as natural causes….but most of these guys are young guys in their twenties and thirties.

Now reading between the lines, natural causes would be heat exhaustion, heart attacks, malnutrition or just the result of living in unsanitary living conditions.

So put aside whatever your opinion is on Qatar’s record on treatment of the LGBT community (which really is no worse than any other Arab gulf state) for a moment. And this tournament is being played on the backs of the deaths of enough men to make up a small war.

Letters
11-11-2022, 12:22 PM
However before today I wasn’t aware of the total number of deaths, but it is estimated to be in and around the 6,500 mark. Over an eight year period, that’s 15 people a week. The death certificates listing these as natural causes….but most of these guys are young guys in their twenties and thirties.
Probably all because of the Covid Vaccine :sulk:

:run:

Marc Overmars
11-11-2022, 12:29 PM
Still can’t believe this is happening but the footballing world has had 12 years to do something meaningful about it, so I don’t really see why there has been all this uproar over the last few weeks, as though their human rights record and views on homosexuality has only just been discovered.

Couldn’t give 2 shits about this tournament to be honest, not going to make any concerted effort to watch games like I would with a normal World Cup.

Brazil or Argentina will win it I think.

Letters
11-11-2022, 12:35 PM
Still can’t believe this is happening but the footballing world has had 12 years to do something meaningful about it, so I don’t really see why there has been all this uproar over the last few weeks, as though their human rights record and views on homosexuality has only just been discovered.
Well. It's obviously because it's happening soon, it's brought it all into sharp focus again.
And there have been a few other things going on in the world in the last few years which have taken centre stage.

I can't really get the hang of it either, it's ludicrous that I'm trying to cross-check Christmas events with World Cup games to make sure there are no clashes. I'm not engaged as I usually would be although some of that is because of my feelings about football as a thing. But I booked the afternoon off for the first England game, I'll certainly be following them and will probably watch a reasonable number of neutral games because overall I do like the World Cup even if this one is certainly tainted.

HCZ_Reborn
11-11-2022, 01:55 PM
Probably all because of the Covid Vaccine :sulk:

:run:

Behave yourself :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
11-11-2022, 01:59 PM

Couldn’t give 2 shits about this tournament to be honest, not going to make any concerted effort to watch games like I would with a normal World Cup.

Brazil or Argentina will win it I think.

That’s human beings for you, whilst I do think a lot of especially sports journalists have very much tried to keep Qatar in the public eye, there’s been so much shit going on in and out of football that it gets forgotten. However I take your point, i think there is something to be said for the FA being behind England players taking the knee but quietly says nothing about this tournament.
Very western centric behaviour, it’s easy to take a stance on the easy issues

The other thing that doesn’t get talked about is that it’s going to be an organisational shit show, if you look at the Brazil and Russia World Cup which had their own problems but at least logistically they made sense because of how vastly spread out the tournament is. Here you have at most a 40 mile distance between the stadiums…the country is half the size of Yorkshire and you’ve got potentially the entire population of Qatar in terms of number descending upon the country to watch the tournament, you think of the pressure that will put on Doha international airport in terms of security, there’s no where near enough Hotels and they’ve even had to requisition cruise liners to dock on the harbours to become make shift hotels, security in stadiums and outside stadiums is a total nightmare and they haven’t even passed a safety certificate for some of them.
FIFA just don’t give a fuck that even if you look beyond human rights issues, this country just isn’t fit to host a tournament of this size.

The FCO should in my view in the strongest possible terms urge supporters not to travel

Mac76
11-11-2022, 03:03 PM
only just seen the England squad - it's good that Ben White's in as well as Saka and Ramsdale

overall though there's a lot of crap in there and i don't see us getting very far

as for the thing itself, like others here i won't pay as much attention as i do usually, the whole thing stinks

Letters
11-11-2022, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty confident we'll get to the quarters. After that...well, it's only 3 games but we'll be playing proper sides then and you can't help feel we will come unstuck.
Last year broke me, if we can't win a home final then I don't think we'll ever win one :(
It isn't coming home.

Xhaka Can’t
16-11-2022, 04:17 PM
Off to a promising start.

https://youtu.be/XERWe1uwhxI

Niall_Quinn
16-11-2022, 11:18 PM
Anyone who watches a single match is a liar to themselves. Or a person with so little integrity it might be said they have no integrity at all.

Niall_Quinn
16-11-2022, 11:22 PM
That’s human beings for you, whilst I do think a lot of especially sports journalists have very much tried to keep Qatar in the public eye, there’s been so much shit going on in and out of football that it gets forgotten. However I take your point, i think there is something to be said for the FA being behind England players taking the knee but quietly says nothing about this tournament.
Very western centric behaviour, it’s easy to take a stance on the easy issues

The other thing that doesn’t get talked about is that it’s going to be an organisational shit show, if you look at the Brazil and Russia World Cup which had their own problems but at least logistically they made sense because of how vastly spread out the tournament is. Here you have at most a 40 mile distance between the stadiums…the country is half the size of Yorkshire and you’ve got potentially the entire population of Qatar in terms of number descending upon the country to watch the tournament, you think of the pressure that will put on Doha international airport in terms of security, there’s no where near enough Hotels and they’ve even had to requisition cruise liners to dock on the harbours to become make shift hotels, security in stadiums and outside stadiums is a total nightmare and they haven’t even passed a safety certificate for some of them.
FIFA just don’t give a fuck that even if you look beyond human rights issues, this country just isn’t fit to host a tournament of this size.

The FCO should in my view in the strongest possible terms urge supporters not to travel

Last I heard they killed 6,000 people to setup this marketing opportunity.

Real truth. I don't know the 6,000 people who died and, honesty, don't give a fuck. HOWEVER. I'd hate it to be said my enjoyment was based on 6,000 anonymous deaths. It'd be like watching a mega-snuff movie and yanking my tool anyway? I'd have to pause and wonder what sort of a cunt I'd have to be to engage in that.

But millions of ignorant cunts will consume. Braindead. Doing the current thing.

Then they'll vote.

Maybe explains a lot.

Xhaka Can’t
16-11-2022, 11:51 PM
Oh, so NOW you care about lives being lost!

Niall_Quinn
17-11-2022, 12:03 AM

I don't know the 6,000 people who died and, honesty, don't give a fuck.

But I mentioned it about 2 years ago I think.

Was never watching the Shithole Cup. Made that clear in the past, I'm sure.

Xhaka Can’t
17-11-2022, 12:05 AM
But I mentioned it about 2 years ago I think.

Was never watching the Shithole Cup. Made that clear in the past, I'm sure.

Yeah, well I’m not watching it either.

Niall_Quinn
17-11-2022, 12:09 AM
Yeah, well I’m not watching it either.

Will probably watch season 1-4 rerun of Game of Thrones while the shitshow is on.

And try to avoid the flags hanging out of the windows that harken back to a time when (even if it wasn't pure as snow) was digestible.

We're all guilty, but there are limits.

Letters
17-11-2022, 08:17 AM
What difference will not watching make?

Mac76
17-11-2022, 08:40 AM

no, he says quite explicitly he doesn't give a f*ck

Mac76
17-11-2022, 08:43 AM

well it'll make me feel a bit cleaner i suppose, i'll look out for some of the big matches i like watching normally e.g. Germany v Holland or something - although i've no idea whether that fixture's a possibility as i haven't looked at the groups or their implications for how the tournament could play out - but that 'll be it

generally though i'll pretty much ignore it

Letters
17-11-2022, 09:04 AM
I think if it was on PPV then "making a stand" would make more sense. I wouldn't go out of my way to fund this. But it's all free so... :shrug:
I don't see that me either ignoring it or fully engaging with it actually makes any difference, but if people want to do the former then that's fine.
It does certainly feel different, partly because of where it is but the when is a big factor too. There isn't the World Cup buzz you usually get in the run up to a tournament. I'll probably watch here and there. I actually booked Monday afternoon off to watch the first England game but to be honest I don't care about it that much.

Mac76
17-11-2022, 09:54 AM
https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1592847151406911489

Letters
17-11-2022, 10:04 AM
Gary posted that. Yeah, not ideal.
But c'mon, you surely want to see Gary Neville dragged off kicking and screaming by the authorities.

Niall_Quinn
17-11-2022, 10:20 AM

Good point. A global TV audience in the billions is neither here nor there. I'm sure the sponsors will foot the bill regardless.

And the moral issue isn't worth a mention. Provided it doesn't harm us then no foul.

Neither is the theft and vandalisation of a sport that used to be accessible to the average punter.

WMUG
17-11-2022, 10:22 AM
Will probably watch season 1-4 rerun of Game of Thrones while the shitshow is on.

And try to avoid the flags hanging out of the windows that harken back to a time when (even if it wasn't pure as snow) was digestible.

We're all guilty, but there are limits.

https://clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606/

Letters
17-11-2022, 10:38 AM
Good point. A global TV audience in the billions is neither here nor there. I'm sure the sponsors will foot the bill regardless.
Of course they will. The TV and sponsorship deals are already signed.

And the moral issue isn't worth a mention. Provided it doesn't harm us then no foul.
It's definitely worth a mention.

Neither is the theft and vandalisation of a sport that used to be accessible to the average punter.
I have posted many times on here what a shitshow football is these days. I have little or no power to change that. One thing I have done is stop giving Arsenal my money. And I don't subscribe to any sport channels.
Other than that I have no real power to affect change.

Mac76
17-11-2022, 11:10 AM
Gary posted that. Yeah, not ideal.
But c'mon, you surely want to see Gary Neville dragged off kicking and screaming by the authorities.

oh yeah, sorry XC

and well it's a close one with Neville but still...

Mac76
17-11-2022, 11:13 AM

I have posted many times on here what a shitshow football is these days. I have little or no power to change that. One thing I have done is stop giving Arsenal my money. And I don't subscribe to any sport channels.

for me, i don't want to sit there watching matches taking place in stadiums which i know were built by, effectively, slaves - many of whom died in the process.

if you knew your office had been built by slaves would you feel comfortable going to work there?

Marc Overmars
17-11-2022, 11:26 AM
I’ll still watch the England games and some of the other bigger matches. Normally I do what I can to watch as many games as possible but I just don’t give enough of a fuck about this to bother.

Letters
17-11-2022, 11:33 AM
I’ll still watch the England games and some of the other bigger matches. Normally I do what I can to watch as many games as possible but I just don’t give enough of a fuck about this to bother.

Is that because of where it is or when it is or a bit of both?

Letters
17-11-2022, 11:47 AM
for me, i don't want to sit there watching matches taking place in stadiums which i know were built by, effectively, slaves - many of whom died in the process.

if you knew your office had been built by slaves would you feel comfortable going to work there?

I don't know how I'd feel in that scenario.
I get why people might want to "boycott" it, I just personally don't think it'll make any difference. I like watching football so I'll probably watch here and there.
I'm just interested in the virtue signalling from some people* who usually baulk at that sort of thing...
(*not you)

Marc Overmars
17-11-2022, 11:50 AM
Is that because of where it is or when it is or a bit of both?

Bit of both. No way should it be held in a country like Qatar for whom it’s just another vehicle for sportswashing and the fact it’s in the middle of the season, a season where Arsenal also happen to be flying is quite annoying.

It’s all just a bit meh really. Maybe I’ll feel different when it’s underway.

HCZ_Reborn
17-11-2022, 12:01 PM
Last I heard they killed 6,000 people to setup this marketing opportunity.

Real truth. I don't know the 6,000 people who died and, honesty, don't give a fuck. HOWEVER. I'd hate it to be said my enjoyment was based on 6,000 anonymous deaths. It'd be like watching a mega-snuff movie and yanking my tool anyway? I'd have to pause and wonder what sort of a cunt I'd have to be to engage in that.

But millions of ignorant cunts will consume. Braindead. Doing the current thing.

Then they'll vote.

Maybe explains a lot.

Anyone - individual or organisation who says they’ll boycott this tournament, I’m actually of the view “ok you know what fair enough” and for the rest of us ? Well it’s cognitive dissonance….we know that we should probably do the same, but want the instant gratification of watching what we hope will be a decent tournament and try and compartmentalise that from everything else in the hope that we can convince ourselves we aren’t brazen hypocrites….well we are

Letters
17-11-2022, 12:13 PM
I agree with a lot of that but are we being hypocrites?
I don't feel I'm condoning the Qatar regime or the way the World Cup ended up there by watching.
As I said, it's free to air, the sponsorship and TV deals are done. I'm not funding them.
If it was PPV and I had to actively pay and therefore fund this then I may take a different view.
I am less engaged than in a normal World Cup. Where it's hosted is a factor but bigger ones are a general lessening of interest in football as a sport and the time of year.
It just doesn't feel like a normal world cup, because it isn't one of course.

HCZ_Reborn
17-11-2022, 02:01 PM
I agree with a lot of that but are we being hypocrites?
I don't feel I'm condoning the Qatar regime or the way the World Cup ended up there by watching.
As I said, it's free to air, the sponsorship and TV deals are done. I'm not funding them.
If it was PPV and I had to actively pay and therefore fund this then I may take a different view.
I am less engaged than in a normal World Cup. Where it's hosted is a factor but bigger ones are a general lessening of interest in football as a sport and the time of year.
It just doesn't feel like a normal world cup, because it isn't one of course.

BBC and ITV’s decision to bid to win the right to screen this tournament free to air is predicated on getting the required viewer numbers, a mass decision by viewers to switch off would give these channels pause for thought in the event that a sporting tournament like the World Cup is in future given to a country like Qatar (let’s be fair FIFA is no less objectionable than it was when that little goblin Sepp Blatter was running the show).

Plus regardless of whether we can affect change, by watching we are tacitly condoning that this is a World Cup built on the bodies of over 6,000 men who would otherwise be alive today. I almost never agree with NQ but he’s absolutely right on this.

Letters
17-11-2022, 03:26 PM
BBC and ITV’s decision to bid to win the right to screen this tournament free to air is predicated on getting the required viewer numbers, a mass decision by viewers to switch off would give these channels pause for thought in the event that a sporting tournament like the World Cup is in future given to a country like Qatar
A fairly reasonable point, although this World Cup is very much an outlier.

by watching we are tacitly condoning that this is a World Cup built on the bodies of over 6,000 men who would otherwise be alive today.
I don't really agree, and if you believe that then I'm surprised you'd watch any of it.

Xhaka Can’t
17-11-2022, 03:31 PM

I don’t care about what difference it will make.

FIFA pushed me past my own personal tipping point of what I can stomach - so, I’m out.

Letters
17-11-2022, 03:38 PM
That's fine. So long as you acknowledge that people have different tipping points.
I'm not convinced there's a clear right or wrong about where that point is.

Xhaka Can’t
17-11-2022, 03:44 PM
I don’t care who watches or not - that is their choice.

But thanks for letting me know its ok for me not to want to watch as long as I’m aware that people have different tipping points.

I was hoping you wouldn’t overrule my conscience.

Mac76
17-11-2022, 03:45 PM
I get why people might want to "boycott" it, I just personally don't think it'll make any difference. I like watching football so I'll probably watch here and there.
I'm just interested in the virtue signalling from some people* who usually baulk at that sort of thing...
(*not you)

to whom am i signalling virtue?

i'm not a politician or an international brand - just someone who won't feel comfortable or enjoy watching this corrupt BS - (except Germany v Holland :lol: (if it happens))

Mac76
17-11-2022, 03:46 PM
I don’t care about what difference it will make.

FIFA pushed me past my own personal tipping point of what I can stomach - so, I’m out.

it's this

Letters
17-11-2022, 04:00 PM
to whom am i signalling virtue?
Literally said "not you" at the end...

Xhaka Can’t
17-11-2022, 04:19 PM
it's this

All round to NQ’s for Netflix and chill.

Letters
17-11-2022, 04:49 PM
:sick:

Marc Overmars
17-11-2022, 07:08 PM
Mane has been ruled out. :rose:

HCZ_Reborn
17-11-2022, 10:44 PM
All round to NQ’s for Netflix and chill.

Listen I have no problem with your kind, but must you try and recruit people like this?

HCZ_Reborn
17-11-2022, 10:48 PM
Mane has been ruled out. :rose:

That’s Senegal out at the group stage

Xhaka Can’t
17-11-2022, 11:20 PM
Listen I have no problem with your kind, but must you try and recruit people like this?

Well, it’s at NQ’s so there won’t be much chill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xhaka Can’t
17-11-2022, 11:26 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221117/91795133d4d1afb45b5c36b04e933575.jpg

Mac76
17-11-2022, 11:36 PM
Literally said "not you" at the end...

What you expect me to read to the end?? :lol:

Mac76
17-11-2022, 11:36 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221117/91795133d4d1afb45b5c36b04e933575.jpg

:lol:

Mac76
17-11-2022, 11:37 PM
:sick:

Agreed

Xhaka Can’t
18-11-2022, 01:17 AM
There’s no chill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niall_Quinn
18-11-2022, 03:50 AM

Enjoy the match - Mr Christian.

Niall_Quinn
18-11-2022, 03:52 AM
(*not you)

I know how you'd feel. It would be based on the money you were getting. The one thing I have learned about you is you have zero morality. Not just on this - but everything. It's all there in text. You don't even understand what morality is.

Niall_Quinn
18-11-2022, 04:00 AM
Anyone - individual or organisation who says they’ll boycott this tournament, I’m actually of the view “ok you know what fair enough” and for the rest of us ? Well it’s cognitive dissonance….we know that we should probably do the same, but want the instant gratification of watching what we hope will be a decent tournament and try and compartmentalise that from everything else in the hope that we can convince ourselves we aren’t brazen hypocrites….well we are

Definition of life these days. There's too much incredible shit going on for any of us to claim virtue. For me it's not about that. It's a personal thing. I already know billions will watch and Gary the fuck Lineker will gush (for cash). And I know most of those people, excluding Gary the fuck of course, probably don't even know how the World Cup actually works. Not sure if I blame them for their staggering ignorance or not. Doesn't matter because they'll prop the whole show up regardless, like they prop governments up, etc, etc. Mindless seekers of gratification. Not evil in themselves, but enablers of evil.

So my little gesture is trivial on the larger scale, but super important personally. Now if modern football was worth watching and we had a great Brazilian team and a great Argentinian team, and so on, I wonder if I'd sneak a watch here and there? I'd hope not. But hard to say given that modern football is comically inept and fundamentally unentertaining.

You could say refusing to watch is more about common sense than principle.

Letters
18-11-2022, 08:45 AM
I know how you'd feel. It would be based on the money you were getting. The one thing I have learned about you is you have zero morality. Not just on this - but everything. It's all there in text. You don't even understand what morality is.

The gap between your belief in your abilities to discern things and your actual ability continues to amuse.
Mr Dunning, meet Mr Kruger :lol:
Enjoy your virtue signalling. Y'know, the thing you hate unless it's you doing it apparently :tiphat:

Marc Overmars
18-11-2022, 11:14 AM
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/qatar-world-cup-beer-could-be-banned-from-all-stadiums-12750052

Booze ban. :rose:

Globalgunner
18-11-2022, 11:27 AM
Its a World Cup. Not a European cup. It should be held wherever it can find a capable host. People that invade other countries on spurious pretexts and have done so repeatedly, have no business complaining about human rights. Thing that I dont understand is why Qatar decided to host it alone. All those shiny stadia will be near idle after this is all done. Where are the local football teams to fill it?. It should have been a pan Arab affair spread across several countries, but Arab brotherhood is a myth, and Qatar has money to burn literally.

HCZ_Reborn
18-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Its a World Cup. Not a European cup. It should be held wherever it can find a capable host. People that invade other countries on spurious pretexts and have done so repeatedly, have no business complaining about human rights. Thing that I dont understand is why Qatar decided to host it alone. All those shiny stadia will be near idle after this is all done. Where are the local football teams to fill it?. It should have been a pan Arab affair spread across several countries, but Arab brotherhood is a myth, and Qatar has money to burn literally.

Except putting aside all your usual bullshit it is manifestly not a capable host

The tournament has had to be moved from its usual time slot in summer, there are also clear indications that it won’t be able to handle the amount of people coming into the country in terms of infrastructure or accommodation.

To put it bluntly it will be a shit show. And it seems like FIFA not only corrupt but lacks the balls to admit they’ve fucked things up and the tournament is not fit for purpose

Letters
18-11-2022, 11:55 AM
Aye. Also, say what you like about NQ, he hasn't invaded other countries on spurious pretexts, certainly not repeatedly.
It's perfectly reasonable for him and any of us to comment on Qatar's human rights, or lack thereof.

HCZ_Reborn
18-11-2022, 11:56 AM
Aye. Also, say what you like about NQ, he hasn't invaded other countries on spurious pretexts, certainly not repeatedly.

I would not make such a claim, because I couldn’t prove it

Have you ever met him in person to confirm that he isn’t in fact Henry Kissinger and is just on here to take the piss?

Globalgunner
18-11-2022, 12:11 PM
Except putting aside all your usual bullshit it is manifestly not a capable host

The tournament has had to be moved from its usual time slot in summer, there are also clear indications that it won’t be able to handle the amount of people coming into the country in terms of infrastructure or accommodation.

To put it bluntly it will be a shit show. And it seems like FIFA not only corrupt but lacks the balls to admit they’ve fucked things up and the tournament is not fit for purpose

Since you can see the future so well, might as well make a few bob and predict the winner while you are at it. Might change your life

i dont defend Arab human rights records, they were the first Slavers of Africans before Europe jumped in. Qatar is like most Arab states, they treat foreign workers like crap. They sieze your passport as soon as you get there and essentially you are now at the mercy of your employer. I work in Oil and gas and would never go there.

What I am calling out is the hubris of Europeans who think they are the arbiters of human decency. You are not and never will be. Your human rights records are abhorrent and you never wish to atone for it. the Qataris are amongst the highest investors in UK real estate, why dont you start sanctioning them.

People die on projects, it is terrible and should not happen. People died digging the London tube lines and building the bridges of New York. Are you going to boycott those too?

Your hubris is galling

HCZ_Reborn
18-11-2022, 01:37 PM
Since you can see the future so well, might as well make a few bob and predict the winner while you are at it. Might change your life

i dont defend Arab human rights records, they were the first Slavers of Africans before Europe jumped in. Qatar is like most Arab states, they treat foreign workers like crap. They sieze your passport as soon as you get there and essentially you are now at the mercy of your employer. I work in Oil and gas and would never go there.

What I am calling out is the hubris of Europeans who think they are the arbiters of human decency. You are not and never will be. Your human rights records are abhorrent and you never wish to atone for it. the Qataris are amongst the highest investors in UK real estate, why dont you start sanctioning them.

People die on projects, it is terrible and should not happen. People died digging the London tube lines and building the bridges of New York. Are you going to boycott those too?

Your hubris is galling

Your muppetry is hilarious

The infrastructure you speak about in the west being built on dead workforce was built long before I was born and has been renovated and upgraded more times since then than the planks of the ship of Theseus.

To try and draw a moral equivalence between 19th working practices and what went on in a backwater gulf country that was awarded the tournament as a result of massive corruption is hilarious. And it shows the depth of logic you work from

But addressing your specious arguments head on for one second, these 6,500 dead workers didn’t die from work related injuries like the people who built the railways and skyscrapers did…they died from heat exhaustion, heart attacks and in some cases malnutrition.

As for your assertion about western hypocrisy because we have taken the blood soaked Qatari money, I haven’t said anything that would remotely be seen in disagreement with that. Whilst we continue to tolerate these countries for short term economic gain we really are no better than them.

Globalgunner
18-11-2022, 06:24 PM
The Gulf backwater that you speak of owns the Shard and many other of your prize monuments. There is no statute of limitation to human crimes, thats your own wishful thinking. Those you have injured by your national supremacy do not forget.

You havent been to the ME thats why you think its a backwater, Most of their cites are far more modern than any in UK. Modern, yes but a soulless façade. Modern beyond your comprehension and not full of hungry buskers and beggars outside tube stations as I see in London.

You dont give a toss about the Filpinos, and other Asians that have lost their lives building these stadia. You are just pissed that they didnt award it to a "civilised" country that you approve of. Well suck it up. Your FA and Villa loving Prince also tried to bribe FIFA but were outdone. Offering Burberry bags while others were dangling bags of cash. Too bad, again "Its not coming home". Besides show me a civilised country anywhere in NATO.

If any of these workers washed up on your Blighty shores you would likely send them back with a holed dinghy. Human rights is just a convenient cudgel to bash Qatar on the head for the effrontery of beating good ol Engurland to the hosting.

The same conditions as Qatar exist for workers in UAE, Saudi and Kuwait. You dont remember them because there is no WC happening there but the workers suffer just the same, not mostly from work related injuries but from pure frustration leading in many cases to suicide from non payment of salaries and terrible living conditions. Yet your leaders go cap in hand begging same leaders for oil and gas cos well you decided to pick a fight with your other reliable supplier.

Winter is coming, snow already on the ground in some parts of Ukraine. Ukraine refugees are coming over by the millions whether you like it or not. Freezing cold and zero heat and electricity. Coming over to share in your great human empathy. Hope you have plenty of space for them in front of your hearth. Some of them might even want to watch the WC on your TV

Xhaka Can’t
18-11-2022, 07:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221118/6994cb447d25f741fc858fa3a1c97275.jpg

Mac76
18-11-2022, 09:32 PM
Just took a first look at the fixtures - the group stages are an almost total washout even if i wanted to watch, apart from Wales v Ingerland and Germany v Spain there's nothing - how the fuck did most of those teams even qualify or did they all pay FIFA off too??

The Wengerbabies
19-11-2022, 03:34 AM
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/qatar-world-cup-beer-could-be-banned-from-all-stadiums-12750052

Booze ban. :rose:
Alah Nobar

HCZ_Reborn
19-11-2022, 06:07 AM
The Gulf backwater that you speak of owns the Shard and many other of your prize monuments. There is no statute of limitation to human crimes, thats your own wishful thinking. Those you have injured by your national supremacy do not forget.

You havent been to the ME thats why you think its a backwater, Most of their cites are far more modern than any in UK. Modern, yes but a soulless façade. Modern beyond your comprehension and not full of hungry buskers and beggars outside tube stations as I see in London.

You dont give a toss about the Filpinos, and other Asians that have lost their lives building these stadia. You are just pissed that they didnt award it to a "civilised" country that you approve of. Well suck it up. Your FA and Villa loving Prince also tried to bribe FIFA but were outdone. Offering Burberry bags while others were dangling bags of cash. Too bad, again "Its not coming home". Besides show me a civilised country anywhere in NATO.

If any of these workers washed up on your Blighty shores you would likely send them back with a holed dinghy. Human rights is just a convenient cudgel to bash Qatar on the head for the effrontery of beating good ol Engurland to the hosting.

The same conditions as Qatar exist for workers in UAE, Saudi and Kuwait. You dont remember them because there is no WC happening there but the workers suffer just the same, not mostly from work related injuries but from pure frustration leading in many cases to suicide from non payment of salaries and terrible living conditions. Yet your leaders go cap in hand begging same leaders for oil and gas cos well you decided to pick a fight with your other reliable supplier.

Winter is coming, snow already on the ground in some parts of Ukraine. Ukraine refugees are coming over by the millions whether you like it or not. Freezing cold and zero heat and electricity. Coming over to share in your great human empathy. Hope you have plenty of space for them in front of your hearth. Some of them might even want to watch the WC on your TV

I like this post, instead of asking me what I think you dedicate a lot of paragraphs telling me what I think

Undoubtedly easier to debate a straw man…so I’ll leave you to it

Letters
19-11-2022, 10:17 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63687412

Basically making the same argument GG does above. But as HCZ has noted, it's a bullshit argument.
It's like saying "why are you criticising me for cheating on my wife, your great grandfather cheated his". :blink:. I mean, what the hell has that got to do with anything.
Pretty much no-one is failing to acknowledge our past misdemeanours. But we're talking about the here and now.

Niall_Quinn
19-11-2022, 09:34 PM

The gap between your belief in your abilities to discern things and your actual ability continues to amuse.
Mr Dunning, meet Mr Kruger :lol:
Enjoy your virtue signalling. Y'know, the thing you hate unless it's you doing it apparently :tiphat:

You are the one who asked what difference it would make if you boosted the viewing figures. And I think it was a genuine question. The very idea of a moral stance is incomprehensible to you. So, of course, you try to lay your banal immorality at my doorstep. Because that's who you are. And it takes very little to discern that very basic reality.

Mr Christian. (And I'm supposed to be the virtue signaller?)

Marc Overmars
20-11-2022, 08:20 AM
Benzema ruled out of the tournament now. :rolleyes:

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 02:28 PM

That’s Benzema, Pogba and Kante they are without

Although they were without Benzema for the last World Cup…(something to do with blackmail allegations if I recall) and they used Ollie as their 2018 equivalent of Guivarc’h (who apparently is now a swimming pool salesman)

They are in a way liberated by the fact that no one has any expectations of them. They still have a formidable team even without these players but like England very indifferent form of late, and add in the other factor that the French team are perennial squabblers (Gallas getting the hump with Nasri for sitting on his seat on the team coach)

Therefore anything beyond getting out of the group will be an achievement. Normally I’d have them as nailed on to be eliminated in the group stage but I just can’t see how they can fail to overcome Tunisia and Australia (even with the added incentive that I drew Tunisia in my office sweepstake)

If Saliba plays I want them to get knocked out as soon as possible a) because I want him back playing for Arsenal without injuries or exhaustion from being overplayed b) the deeper into the tournament they get the more the vultures will circle

Mac76
20-11-2022, 02:51 PM
If Saliba plays I want them to get knocked out as soon as possible a) because I want him back playing for Arsenal without injuries or exhaustion from being overplayed b) the deeper into the tournament they get the more the vultures will circle

That's my attitude to the entire World Cup, i want france, england, brazil knocked out asap to get players home (switzerland can go through to the final via a series of extra-time-and-pels scenarios though ;) )

McNamara That Ghost...
20-11-2022, 03:08 PM
Alex Scott, Alan Shearer and Ashley Williams in the studio.

Qatar v Ecuador starts at 4PM GMT.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-11-2022, 03:42 PM
Qatar: Saad, Pedro, Bassam, Khoukhi, Abdelkarim, Homam, Al-Haydos, Karim, Aziz, Afif, Almoez.

Subs: Bayati, Salman, Al Aaeldin, Qambar, Muntari, Jibril, Mahmoud, K. Ali, Al Hajri, M. Ali, Barsham

Ecuador: Galindez, Preciado, Torres, Hincapie, Estupinan, Plata, Mendez, Caicedo, Ibarra, Valencia, Estrada.

Subs: Arboleda, Cifuentes, Pacho, Gruezo, Preciado, Ramirez, Arreaga, Mena, Sarmiento, Palacios, Franco, Dominguez, Reasco, Porozo, Rodrigue

Letters
20-11-2022, 04:05 PM
1-0 Ecuador!

Letters
20-11-2022, 04:07 PM
:haha: Ruled out.
Nothing to see here…

Marc Overmars
20-11-2022, 04:07 PM
Corruption already :bow:

Globalgunner
20-11-2022, 04:12 PM
Wow!. How blatant can you get.? Might as well give the hosts a 2-0 lead from the start.

GP
20-11-2022, 04:13 PM
:haha: Ruled out.
Nothing to see here…

Went to VAR... the cheque is complete, offside given.

Globalgunner
20-11-2022, 04:16 PM
Went to VAR... the cheque is complete, offside given.

I see what you did there

Letters
20-11-2022, 04:17 PM
Pel to Ecuador? Come on VAR, you know what to do

Letters
20-11-2022, 04:18 PM
1-0 again :lol:

Globalgunner
20-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Pen to Ecuador
Only yellow for the Qatar GK.

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 04:22 PM
I thought Karl Hein was a shit keeper, this guy has given me a whole new understanding of being a shit keeper

Letters
20-11-2022, 04:24 PM
I thought Karl Hein was a shit keeper, this guy has given me a whole new understanding of being a shit keeper
Trouble is if they chop his hands off that’s not exactly going to make him better.

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 04:25 PM
Trouble is if they chop his hands off that’s not exactly going to make him better.

Can’t make him any worse

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 04:27 PM
How the fuck did they win the Asia cup?

Did anyone on here who has Wenger level micro fascination with obscure tournaments actually watch it three years ago

Blatant corruption? Because the commentary team are trying to make it seem like Ecuador are something special but not seeing it

Letters
20-11-2022, 04:30 PM
Are there any good sides in this region though? Qatar look properly shit

Letters
20-11-2022, 04:33 PM
2-0 :haha:

Marc Overmars
20-11-2022, 04:33 PM
Good header that

McNamara That Ghost...
20-11-2022, 04:37 PM
Great header from Valencia.

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 04:43 PM
Are there any good sides in this region though? Qatar look properly shit

Japan and South Korea are not great but they are far more worthy opponents than this and Qatar beat them both in 2019

Globalgunner
20-11-2022, 04:44 PM
On for the first opening game hat trick in WC?

Globalgunner
20-11-2022, 04:45 PM
On for the first opening game hat trick in WC?

Injured now. I've hexxed him

McNamara That Ghost...
20-11-2022, 04:46 PM
Valencia could be fucked.

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 04:49 PM
Valencia could be fucked.

Nah he’s back on. Good

Mac76
20-11-2022, 04:53 PM
Reading this thread is much better than watching the game :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
20-11-2022, 04:54 PM
What a miss. :haha:

Letters
20-11-2022, 04:55 PM
What a miss. :haha:

Qatar are properly shit

Globalgunner
20-11-2022, 05:20 PM

Giroud has an opportunity to reprise his role of 2018. Played all games. 0 goals, 0 shots on target. Winners medal.

Mac76
20-11-2022, 05:22 PM
Giroud has an opportunity to reprise his role of 2018. Played all games. 0 goals, 0 shots on target. Winners medal.

Nice beard though

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 05:29 PM
The yellow coloured spinning doughnut on my screen watching this on my iPad holds more excitement to me than this game. The anticipation…will it disappear, will it stay for the duration.

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 05:39 PM
What is it with Ecuador and ambiguous sounding names

Years ago they had a player called GuaGua and when the commentators mentioned his name it sounded like Wagwan

Now they have a player called Plata and for the life of me I thought they said Blatter

Was thinking did that revolting little Swiss troll loaf one up some South American girl years ago

McNamara That Ghost...
20-11-2022, 05:47 PM
Should have been put away, offside or not, from a few minutes ago.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-11-2022, 05:52 PM
Good effort from Muntari.

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 05:56 PM
Is Kevin Rodriguez giving thanks for being subbed on?

Globalgunner
20-11-2022, 05:56 PM
Gillingham would have had a chance to qualify from this group I wager

Letters
20-11-2022, 06:00 PM
First hosts to lose their opening game, I believe
:bow:

Letters
20-11-2022, 06:00 PM
Gillingham would have had a chance to qualify from this group I wager

:lol: Ecuador are not a good side.
And they made Qatar look like…well, Gillingham

McNamara That Ghost...
20-11-2022, 06:01 PM
0-2 FT. Second half was a non-event really.

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 06:06 PM
0-2 FT. was a non-event really.

Corrected for you

Shaqiri Is Boss
20-11-2022, 06:19 PM
The only good thing about this is that is much of it is in work time.

Mac76
20-11-2022, 06:40 PM
Good result, well done Ecuador

When do the public executions of the Qatari players begin? :popcorn:

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 06:47 PM
Good result, well done Ecuador

When do the public executions of the Qatari players begin? :popcorn:

How dare you….what contemptible and vile racism

They’ll execute them in secret and only after they exit at the group stage

For the moment, the “security forces” will have to satisfy themselves with rounding up “unruly” Ecuador fans for the high crime of celebrating with too much vigour and astonishing lack of respect

Mac76
20-11-2022, 06:52 PM

GP
20-11-2022, 07:23 PM
Many Bothans died to bring us this information

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 07:26 PM
Many Bothans died to bring us this information

Not enough if you ask me…horse faced bastards

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 09:25 PM
Well, it’s at NQ’s so there won’t be much chill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That guy will have booze in every conceivable place you can secret booze (including an obligatory bottle of scotch hidden in the cistern of his loo). Plus most likely will have enough medicaments stashed away somewhere that you can anaesthetise yourself against one of his interminable lectures. Of course you do run the risk of being shot simply for being anywhere near his property.

Shaqiri Is Boss
20-11-2022, 09:30 PM
That guy will have booze in every conceivable place you can secret booze (including an obligatory bottle of scotch hidden in the cistern of his loo). Plus most likely will have enough medicaments stashed away somewhere that you can anaesthetise yourself against one of his interminable lectures. Of course you do run the risk of being shot simply for being anywhere near his property.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

HCZ_Reborn
20-11-2022, 09:32 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Being shot? I mean I can’t say for definite because I’ve never been shot, but I suspect it’s not something I’d enjoy

Xhaka Can’t
20-11-2022, 11:40 PM
How about being shot mid-lecture?

Letters
21-11-2022, 09:18 AM
You are the one who asked what difference it would make if you boosted the viewing figures.
Yeah, and you said "A global TV audience in the billions is neither here nor there. I'm sure the sponsors will foot the bill regardless."
You were being sarcastic but you were right. The TV and sponsorship deals are signed, they are not (as far as I know) predicated on audience size. Whether people watch or not is irrelevant.
But the deals are predicated on the expected global audience and that's where HCZ made a good point, low audiences for this World Cup could give sponsors and TV companies pause before paying the big bucks to sponsor/show future competitions awarded in similar circumstances. But this World Cup feels very much like an outlier, it's unlikely to be repeated.

The very idea of a moral stance is incomprehensible to you
Well of course it isn't. What a silly thing to say. You said:
"my little gesture is trivial on the larger scale, but super important personally".
So you acknowledge your "stand" won't make any real difference, but it's important to you. Well OK then. If you want to take a stand then good for you.
But saying stuff like this is virtue signalling:
"Anyone who watches a single match is a liar to themselves. Or a person with so little integrity it might be said they have no integrity at all."
And don't pretend it's any great sacrifice on your part, you barely watch football these days.

I actually asked around at church yesterday. Introspection does not appear to be your forte, but I think it's useful to examine one's opinions and beliefs.
I couldn't find anyone who felt that either as a person or a Christian we should boycott the tournament. The closest I came was one person who said you could make the argument, but you could have made the argument for other tournaments too. Let he who is without sin, etc, etc.
TL;DR - this whole World Cup does feel odd for multiple reasons. When I was watching the BBC intro yesterday I did get "the feels" when I saw iconic clips of past World Cups. And this one just doesn't feel the same. Part of that is my general feeling about the sport as a whole, and yeah a big part of it is where and when it is. It is just...wrong. I just don't feel strongly enough to "boycott" it and I feel it would be a completely meaningless gesture anyway.
But if you want to then fine, good for you.

that's who you are. And it takes very little to discern that very basic reality.
You don't know who I am :lol: It continues to amuse that you think you do.
At best you know a version of me you see on here. From experience, people I've met on here haven't been quite what I was expecting from their online posting.
So no, you don't know who I am at all. :tiphat:

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Maguire going to start today, I don’t get it I really don’t

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 10:02 AM
Captains won’t be wearing the rainbow armband now. :lol:

Apparently referees are under instruction to yellow card players who do so.

Bottled it tbh.

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 10:20 AM

Bottled it tbh.

If you’re going to get booked anyway, I’d just wear an armband saying Islam is for queers

To be honest I do think the whole LGBT thing is grandstanding and I say that as someone heavily critical of this World Cup. Qatar is not an outlier on this in the region, they don’t like queers because the Quran tells them it’s not on……now unless we are in an ISIS situation where they are literally chucking the poor buggers off roofs…I have to say it’s one of those instances where we are trying to impose our own values.

Corruption, and worker deaths is not a cultural thing it’s just the revolting practices of a tyrannical regime.

The joke is the way LGBT is lumped together when they are in direction conflict with each other. Take our opponents today Iran, they forcibly transition young gay men…so definitely hostile to gay people but strangely pro Trans.

Letters
21-11-2022, 10:27 AM
If you’re going to get booked anyway, I’d just wear an armband saying Islam is for queers

But then you'd booked and beheaded.

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 10:33 AM
But then you'd booked and beheaded.

I’d like to think my final words would be Fuck Allah

But in likelihood I’d just piss myself

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 12:16 PM
Southgate as predicted picks Maguire over White

And Mount over Foden

Letters
21-11-2022, 12:19 PM
Finally had a listen to the new version of Three Lions.

Not very good.

Letters
21-11-2022, 01:11 PM
Iranian ‘keeper dead

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 01:20 PM
What a waste of time. Keeper should have been hooked ages ago.

Letters
21-11-2022, 01:21 PM
Yeah, that was silly.

GP
21-11-2022, 01:22 PM

Bottled it tbh.

Cowards.

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 01:34 PM
Maguire hits the bar

Letters
21-11-2022, 01:34 PM
1-0! Bellingham

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 01:36 PM
Bellingham!!

Letters
21-11-2022, 01:44 PM
SAKA!!

2-0

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 01:44 PM
SAKAAAA

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 01:46 PM
Sterling!!

Letters
21-11-2022, 01:47 PM
Another great goal.

Champions elect tbh

Letters
21-11-2022, 01:48 PM
14 minutes injury time :lol:

Letters
21-11-2022, 02:01 PM
3-0 Half Time.

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 02:01 PM
So a low bar but I still say Iran are better than Qatar

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 02:02 PM
Easy.

Letters
21-11-2022, 02:06 PM
So a low bar but I still say Iran are better than Qatar

Probably true. Given that Ecuador are pretty mediocre and Qatar made them look like Brazil

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 02:13 PM
Something about Bellingham, he looks ice cold. Really like him.

Saying that Sancho looked electric too until he came to a proper league.

Letters
21-11-2022, 02:19 PM
Kane down.
I do hope it’s nothing too trivial

Letters
21-11-2022, 02:32 PM
4-0! SAKA!!

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 02:33 PM
SAKAAAAAA

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 02:37 PM
4-1

Comeback is on

Letters
21-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Good finish tbf

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 02:40 PM
Has White been unfaithful with Southgate’s sister or something?

Eric Fucking Dier

Letters
21-11-2022, 02:41 PM
5-1 :haha:

Rashford!

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 02:43 PM
So easy :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 02:43 PM
5-1 :haha:

Rashford!

I might revise my view that Iran are better than Qatar

England have played well, but that goal was comical defending. Never seen a player cut inside with such ease as Rashford was able to there

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 02:44 PM
Saka off just before the goal

On one hand would have been nice to see him get a hat trick. Game is won and no need to over exert him

Letters
21-11-2022, 02:59 PM
I might revise my view that Iran are better than Qatar

England have played well, but that goal was comical defending. Never seen a player cut inside with such ease as Rashford was able to there
Yeah. Iran are proper shit.

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 03:01 PM
Grealish makes it 6

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 03:04 PM
Ten minutes of injury time

Haven’t the Iranian people suffered enough

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 03:15 PM
So VAR doesn’t even bother checking when Maguire bear hugged to the ground

But immediate forensic analysis on slight shirt pull on one of their players

What is going on?

Globalgunner
21-11-2022, 03:22 PM
Good win for England. harder games to come. I expect Iran to run Wales much closer. USA are unpredictable, but England should top this group easy

Letters
21-11-2022, 03:23 PM
6-2 FT

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 03:32 PM
Far tougher tests to come of course but for building momentum you couldn’t have asked for more.

selassie
21-11-2022, 03:53 PM
I thought we looked very good going forward albeit against weak opposition. Saka, Bellingham were the standout performers, though I thought Rashford did well when he came on.

As others have said, it's against the stronger opponents that we may come unstuck, more to do with our defence, because I think our Midfield and forward line is up there with the likes of Brazil, France and Argentina.

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 04:08 PM
I thought we looked very good going forward albeit against weak opposition. Saka, Bellingham were the standout performers, though I thought Rashford did well when he came on.

As others have said, it's against the stronger opponents that we may come unstuck, more to do with our defence, because I think our Midfield and forward line is up there with the likes of Brazil, France and Argentina.

It comes down to Maguire being shit

I think White and Tomori would have been the best centre back partnership

Bellingham….can anyone remember the last time we looked so controlled in the middle of the park

I honestly think we should try and sign him, put him where Xhaka plays.

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 04:52 PM
In terms of being competitive this is a much better game

Senegal I’d argue slightly the stronger of the two sides, looked more comfortable in possession. The Dutch have had slightly better chances

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 04:57 PM

Bellingham….can anyone remember the last time we looked so controlled in the middle of the park

I’m not sure, even though they’re undoubtedly more gifted individually White and Tomori have never played together so I don’t think it could be said with certainty they’d be better than Stones and Maguire. For whatever reason, that partnership works for England so I don’t feel like it needs to be tinkered with at this stage.

We’ve been defensively sound at the last 2 tournaments, mainly because Southgate is a pragmatist and that plays into the strengths of a CB like Maguire who’s a bit of an oaf.

It’s the forward players who’ve let us down at the crucial moments I’d say anyway.

Letters
21-11-2022, 05:05 PM
In terms of being competitive this is a much better game

Senegal I’d argue slightly the stronger of the two sides, looked more comfortable in possession. The Dutch have had slightly better chances

The Dutch have been trying to do that "they want to walk it into the net" thing which I find quite frustrating. Just hit it ffs!

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 05:09 PM
I’m not sure, even though they’re undoubtedly more gifted individually White and Tomori have never played together so I don’t think it could be said with certainty they’d be better than Stones and Maguire. For whatever reason, that partnership works for England so I don’t feel like it needs to be tinkered with at this stage.

We’ve been defensively sound at the last 2 tournaments, mainly because Southgate is a pragmatist and that plays into the strengths of a CB like Maguire who’s a bit of an oaf.

It’s the forward players who’ve let us down at the crucial moments I’d say anyway.

I’m not saying anything with certainty I’m just saying that I think they would be better. The problem hasn’t been the lack of attacking ability/talent….it’s the lack of attacking ambition. We have often played a wing back system under Southgate and have played within ourselves…therefore Maguire’s lack of pace has not been exposed. It’s abundantly clear that today that starting with Bellingham rather than a midfield of Henderson and Rice or Rice and Phillips that we are going to be more attack minded which is going to leave us more exposed at times, and we need defenders with more pace back there…In my view.

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 05:11 PM
The Dutch have been trying to do that "they want to walk it into the net" thing which I find quite frustrating. Just hit it ffs!

Yep, but at the same time they’ve actually been quite direct a lot of running from the wing backs and long balls. I just think the lack of a finisher means players like Gakpo are looking to lay it on for someone else rather than take the shot

Letters
21-11-2022, 05:44 PM
1-0 to the Netherlands!

Letters
21-11-2022, 06:01 PM
Finished 2-0. Hardly a classic.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-11-2022, 06:36 PM
Wales: Hennessey, Williams, Davies, Mepham, Ampadu, Rodon, Wilson, Ramsey, Bale, Roberts, James.
Subs: Ward, Davies, Gunter, Allen, Johnson, Moore, Morrell, Lockyer, Williams, Harris, Thomas, Levitt, Cabango, Colwill

USA: Turner, Dest, Zimmermann, Ream, Robinson, Adams, Musah, McKennie, Pulisic, Weah, Sargent.

Subs: Horvath, Johnson, Reyna, Ferreira, Aaronson, De la Torre, Long, Morris, Roldan, Moore, Wright, Carter-Vickers, Yedlin, Acosta, Scally.

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 06:39 PM
Finished 2-0. Hardly a classic.

Yep and in my view massively flattered the Dutch

I think Senegal gave a good account of themselves, if they had Mane available who knows what would have happened

I think 0-0 would have been a fair scoreline….maybe even 1-0 to Senegal.

But, that I guess comes down to a difference in quality. Though the Dutch do not impress me.

I’m prepared now to make a bold prediction. The winner of this tournament probably won’t come from Group A

Marc Overmars
21-11-2022, 06:55 PM
US national anthem :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-11-2022, 07:12 PM
USA should've scored.

Mac76
21-11-2022, 07:37 PM
US national anthem :bow:

The German one's better

Letters
21-11-2022, 07:38 PM
And now they have. 1-0!

U-S-A! U-S-A!

McNamara That Ghost...
1-0 Weah!

Deserved for USA.

Mac76
Yanks Go Home :sulk:

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 07:39 PM
1-0 Weah!

Deserved for USA.

It’s George’s boy, born in NYC

Letters
21-11-2022, 07:45 PM
Ramsey’s hair :lol:

Letters
21-11-2022, 07:46 PM
It’s George’s boy, born in NYC

I was wondering how come he was eligible to play for the US

Letters
21-11-2022, 08:25 PM
Wales playing well now.
Should have scored

McNamara That Ghost...
21-11-2022, 08:26 PM
Good save from Turner. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-11-2022, 08:41 PM
Pelanty to Wales!

McNamara That Ghost...
21-11-2022, 08:42 PM
1-1 Bale.

Letters
21-11-2022, 08:46 PM
Good pel.
They’ve deserved this, really good second half performance

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 08:54 PM
9 minutes of added on time

This is farcical. Have the match officials ever watched a game of football before

HCZ_Reborn
21-11-2022, 08:55 PM
Pelanty to Wales!

Unlike the one England conceded earlier, a nailed on one

Letters
21-11-2022, 09:08 PM
9 minutes of added on time

This is farcical. Have the match officials ever watched a game of football before

There is obviously some edict from FIFA about this. Every game is having insane amounts of injury time.

selassie
21-11-2022, 09:12 PM

Yep, I agree with all of this.

Mac76
21-11-2022, 09:55 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0aD6QLTxQ

Ollie the Optimist
22-11-2022, 07:36 AM
There is obviously some edict from FIFA about this. Every game is having insane amounts of injury time.

I was reading this morning that it is an edict from FIFA to the 4th officials to monitor how much stoppage time there is so it can be added on at the end.

In principle, its a sensible idea however if a team time wastes all game and concedes a goal in the 85th minute, they then get the benefit of a lot more added time to try and equalise. That’s where referees should have some lee way to reduce added time that was wasted by the side who would now benefit from more added time

Letters
22-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Hilarious handbags between Souness and Keane at half time :lol:
Argentina 1 - Saudi 0
Messi :bow: pel, Argentina had 3 goals disallowed for offside :wacko:

Letters
22-11-2022, 11:11 AM
1-1! Saudi equalise!

Letters
22-11-2022, 11:16 AM
2-1 to Saudi! Holy shit! Great goal.

Letters
22-11-2022, 11:59 AM
Deep into injury time. The Saudi 'keeper nearly killed one of his defenders :blink:
Complete accident but it did look nasty.

Marc Overmars
22-11-2022, 12:07 PM
That’s a shocker. :haha:

Messi. :rose:

Letters
22-11-2022, 12:08 PM
2-1 Saudi Arabia. Full time! Wow!

Saudi :bow:
Islam :bow:
Allah :bow:
Messi :pal:

Letters
22-11-2022, 12:12 PM
I wish Maradona was alive to see this :d

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 12:37 PM
I have a weird liking of the Argies

A) because I’m too young to really take in Falklands and Hand of God. Although Maradona is a cheat and the Falklands is British

B) I am old enough to remember Batistuta, Ortega in Italy

This is tempered by Diego Simeone being a cunt in 1998.

So I’ve always half wanted to see them win the World Cup, but if you can’t beat Saudi Arabia you’re kind of pissing into the wind.

Saudis are cunts though, and UK/US should be ashamed of our closeness with them

Globalgunner
22-11-2022, 03:00 PM
Denmark-Tunisia. 0-0 FT.

Lots of huff and puff but no one could blow any houses down.

Mac76
22-11-2022, 03:31 PM
2-1 Saudi Arabia. Full time! Wow!

Saudi :bow:
Islam :bow:
Allah :bow:
Messi :pal:

corruption :bow:
backhanders :bow:
bent refs :bow:

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 03:50 PM
corruption :bow:
backhanders :bow:
bent refs :bow:

Bent ref :haha:

Sorry I can’t think of that term without thinking of the paedogeddon episode of Brass Eye

Mac76
22-11-2022, 04:40 PM
so Denmark couldn't beat Tunisia

the supposedly good teams are really excelling themselves this time around...

Eriksen :pal:

Letters
22-11-2022, 04:43 PM
It's pretty common for the eventual winners to have started slowly.

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 04:56 PM
It's pretty common for the eventual winners to have started slowly.

Is it?

I guess it depends how you define starting slowly but only once in the previous nine world cups has the eventual winner failed to win their opening game.

However in the interest of being non argumentative I’ll also say that only twice in the same period has a team that went on to win won every game in their group

Letters
22-11-2022, 05:02 PM
Is it?

I guess it depends how you define starting slowly but only once in the previous nine world cups has the eventual winner failed to win their opening game.

However in the interest of being non argumentative I’ll also say that only twice in the same period has a team that went on to win won every game in their group

I'll need to look into this a bit more, but I just remember other world cups where a team has been flying in the group and hailed as the eventual winners only to fall flat on their faces later.
It was certainly a bad one today, but if they win the next one I don't think it's going to have any real affect on their chances.

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 05:22 PM
I'll need to look into this a bit more, but I just remember other world cups where a team has been flying in the group and hailed as the eventual winners only to fall flat on their faces later.
It was certainly a bad one today, but if they win the next one I don't think it's going to have any real affect on their chances.

Since 1986, most of the winners have finished their group with seven points.

Argentina in 86, Germany in 1990, Brazil in 1994, Italy in 2006, Germany in 2014 and France in 2018

With the exception of Italy in 2006 and Germany in 2014 that draw has normally come against the team that qualifies from the group.

Now statistics of course only tell you what has happened, they can’t tell you what will happen.

Argentina and Denmark might benefit from playing opponents in the next game where the match will be more open, but who knows. Argentina for me, I think Messi is often a drag factor rather than a benefit to the team.

It was often that Argentine fans accused him of not replicating his level for Los Celestes as he did for Barca and was considered Catalan first and Argentine second (you consider Messi joined Barca at a very young age).

Now I think that’s somewhat unfair, Argentina never had players of the quality of Xavi and Iniesta in midfield but I also do think that Argentine coaches have far too often made Messi the fulcrum of the team (that worked with Maradona because he was a playmaker first)

Therefore I think both Messi and Ronaldo will ultimately have to be satisfied with the European championship and Copa America respectively. The Argentinians had their best chance to win eight years ago and I don’t think they made the best use of all their attacking players but also the Germans were better

Marc Overmars
22-11-2022, 05:40 PM
In the least surprising news of the day, Ronaldo leaves United by mutual agreement. :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 05:53 PM
In the least surprising news of the day, Ronaldo leaves United by mutual agreement. :lol:

United only kept him as long as they did for the marketing

Apart from fellow narcissist Piers Morgan no one thinks he’s been hard done by

Morgan will be canvassing for us to sign him, it’s just as well that no one at Arsenal pays any notice to what he says

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 05:57 PM
Second 0-0 in a row

I bitterly regret having been out all day, feels like I’ve missed a veritable footballing feast

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 06:11 PM
Giroud (or as I also fondly know him Le Conk or L’Adulterer) starts for France

Makes me sound contemptuous of him but genuinely not, he did ok for us and based on his goal scoring for AC Milan he does deserve to be in the starting XI

Konate picked over Saliba though, not sure I get that one

Marc Overmars
22-11-2022, 06:54 PM
Giroud (or as I also fondly know him Le Conk or L’Adulterer) starts for France

Makes me sound contemptuous of him but genuinely not, he did ok for us and based on his goal scoring for AC Milan he does deserve to be in the starting XI

Konate picked over Saliba though, not sure I get that one

Honestly think Giroud is probably the most underrated player of his generation. The ultimate team player and one of the best scorers of goals from awkward angles and positions I’ve seen.

Not prolific enough to really be considered amongst the elite but he’s had a great career by most standards.

Globalgunner
22-11-2022, 07:01 PM
Australia v France now on. Lots of journeymen in the Aussie, team. Very little obvious talent. They have traveled half across the globe to get bagled, I fear

Letters
22-11-2022, 07:03 PM
Honestly think Giroud is probably the most underrated player of his generation. The ultimate team player and one of the best scorers of goals from awkward angles and positions I’ve seen.

Not prolific enough to really be considered amongst the elite but he’s had a great career by most standards.

:gp:

The amount of stick he got from Gooners was ludicrous.
Didn’t help he was with us after RvP and in a team which didn’t do much.
But he was a very solid player for us.

Globalgunner
22-11-2022, 07:05 PM

Giroud must have been to see an African Shaaman, because he owes his entire mediocre international career to the enforced absence of Benzema. He has put a hex on Karim for sure

Marc Overmars
22-11-2022, 07:09 PM
1-0 Aussies!!!

Globalgunner
22-11-2022, 07:10 PM
Australia v France now on. Lots of journeymen in the Aussie, team. Very little obvious talent. They have traveled half across the globe to get bagled, I fear

Erm. I hope no one saw this post. I'll quietly delete it

Marc Overmars
22-11-2022, 07:27 PM
1-1 Rabiot

Marc Overmars
22-11-2022, 07:32 PM
2-1 Giroud

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 07:56 PM
French decent going forward but can’t defend.

Mbappe, Dembele and Theo Hernandez all been impressive

Rabiot despite his goal seems like a lazy shit…and where was the marking for that Aussie defender hitting the bar

McNamara That Ghost...
22-11-2022, 07:58 PM
Saliba should be playing tbf.

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 07:59 PM
Saliba should be playing tbf.

He should, but given what happened to Lucas Hernandez kinda glad he isn’t

McNamara That Ghost...
22-11-2022, 08:01 PM
Can't we just have a nice lovely time without agitating someone else for no reason?

Letters
22-11-2022, 08:08 PM
Giroud now one goal behind Henry. :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
22-11-2022, 08:14 PM
Can't we just have a nice lovely time without agitating someone else for no reason?

Most definitely not

If you were worried about a row brewing, he doesn’t reply to me because he thinks he rises above it (it’s more because I got him wound up over Scottish independence). And as for calling him a POS, well I’ve already gone in to that but given it’s non football related won’t repeat it again on this particular thread

McNamara That Ghost...
22-11-2022, 08:16 PM
Giroud. :lol:

Letters
22-11-2022, 08:30 PM
Mbappe 3-1

Hanson :bow:

Letters
22-11-2022, 08:34 PM
4-1

Naa, naa, naa na na naa naa!

Marc Overmars
22-11-2022, 08:34 PM
4-1 Giroud :lol:

Equals Henry’s record

Marc Overmars
22-11-2022, 08:35 PM
Mbappe has shat on them.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-11-2022, 08:38 PM
Too many players on the pitch. :lol:

Letters
22-11-2022, 08:40 PM
Too many players on the pitch. :lol:

They should have let them have the extra player tbf

Letters
22-11-2022, 08:47 PM
Mbappe :lol:. What a bum

Letters
23-11-2022, 02:45 PM
Germany 1 - Japan 2 :lol:
6 minutes left (plus a million minutes of injury time)

HCZ_Reborn
23-11-2022, 02:55 PM
Japan been decent

Goalkeeper a bit erratic but made some good saves. Shocking defending from Sule? I think for the second goal

Letters
23-11-2022, 03:02 PM
2-1 FT :d

Mac76
23-11-2022, 03:03 PM
did Tomi play?

HCZ_Reborn
23-11-2022, 03:04 PM
did Tomi play?

Nope….edited he did play but came on at half time didn’t even notice him

Takuma Asano who was our player but never played a minute for us, got the winner

HCZ_Reborn
23-11-2022, 04:16 PM
Dani Olmo puts Spain 1-0 up against Costa Rica

(Odd looking guy, he looks like a character from a Mike Judge cartoon)

HCZ_Reborn
23-11-2022, 04:23 PM
2-0 Marco Asensio just twenty minutes gone. This is going to be a buggering

Mac76
23-11-2022, 04:49 PM
Nope….edited he did play but came on at half time didn’t even notice him

Takuma Asano who was our player but never played a minute for us, got the winner

Cheers

I seem to recall Asano didn't even make the last Japan WC squad, clearly his shares have gone up

Letters
23-11-2022, 05:15 PM
2-0 Marco Asensio just twenty minutes gone. This is going to be a buggering

4-0 now :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
23-11-2022, 05:25 PM
4-0 now :lol:

Totally unsurprising, Spain have pulled them apart with ease.

Costa Rica look so shoddy it’s hard to even say whether Spain are decent. Guess will tell when they play ze Germans

Letters
23-11-2022, 05:34 PM
5 :lol:

Great finish

HCZ_Reborn
23-11-2022, 05:54 PM
6-0, a game that looked like it was going to be a rout from the outset

Brazil vs Spain would make for an excellent final, unfortunately if both win their groups they are penned in for a 1/4 final meeting

Letters
23-11-2022, 05:54 PM
7 now :lol:

Letters
23-11-2022, 05:59 PM
And that’s how it finished.
Costa Rica with 0 shots on goal.