PDA

View Full Version : Pele

McNamara That Ghost...
29-12-2022, 07:06 PM
Pele has died. :rose:

Letters
29-12-2022, 07:07 PM
:rose:

Definitely in the conversation for the GOAT.

Marc Overmars
29-12-2022, 07:12 PM
RIP. :rose:

Think his career is vastly overrated but no doubt he was an icon who transcended the game.

Letters
29-12-2022, 07:14 PM
RIP. :rose:

Think his career is vastly overrated but no doubt he was an icon who transcended the game.

He’s hard to compare with people like Messi and Ronaldo because he played in an era before blanket coverage. And the fact his league career was all in South America is definitely a mark against him in the GOAT consideration. But when you do see highlights he was clearly bloody brilliant.

HCZ_Reborn
29-12-2022, 07:21 PM
Well as I said the other week, I hope the end was peaceful for him. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy, and obviously a top footballer.

As for the greatest? I’m not sure…he won three world cups but it’s hard to argue that those Brazilian teams wouldn’t have won the World Cup without him (which is no reflection on him and every reflection on the quality of the teams he played in)

In 1962 he was injured, and Vava and Garrincha were the World Cup winners

And in 1970 the undoubted star of the tournament was Jairzinho who scored in every game (7 goals in total)

Pele was the star of 1958, and to score in four consecutive tournaments of which the team you play for wins three is quite some undertaking

But for me the late Maradonna is the greatest, because he took an average Argentina side to the 1986 title single handedly. And the only debate to be had is whether Messi’s 2022 win at the last or Maradonna’s is the greatest

Mac76
29-12-2022, 07:27 PM
a sad day for football :rose:

dazthegooner
29-12-2022, 07:28 PM
:rose:

Xhaka Can’t
29-12-2022, 07:40 PM
A world class footballer who was a fantastic ambassador for football and, for Brazil.

There are footballers that followed, and we can make arguments on whether he, or they were the greatest of all time.

Where there is no argument, those footballers who followed him, they stand on his shoulders.

Letters
29-12-2022, 08:43 PM
I saw a video recently which showed a load of skills from players and then showed Pele doing them decades earlier, including the Cruyff Turn

(it was like this, but wasn’t this one)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sYokNMEgRvw

Niall_Quinn
04-01-2023, 07:06 PM
A world class footballer who was a fantastic ambassador for football and, for Brazil.

There are footballers that followed, and we can make arguments on whether he, or they were the greatest of all time.

Where there is no argument, those footballers who followed him, they stand on his shoulders.

And good job for them. Because Pele was kicked from pillar to post, but since we've had [insert non pejorative here] since it's all got a lot easier.

And these modern day [insert non pejorative here] don't even have to advertise erection drugs to keep eating - although they certainly would if the price was right.

Comparison between Pele and Messi or Ronaldo?

Like comparing apples with Jimmy Saville.