PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Man Utd (home)

McNamara That Ghost...
22-01-2023, 06:47 PM
What a fucking win! :bow:

That's all I have right now.

GP
22-01-2023, 06:50 PM
We're going to win the league.

Marc Overmars
22-01-2023, 06:52 PM
We weren’t great today but pulled ourselves together like a side who knows it is trying to win the league. Just brilliant, this team has everything Arsenal sides have lacked for the past 15 years.

Can’t wait until we play City at home next month. You feel that game is the one that could turn the title from a dream into a very realistic possibility.

Let’s fugging go!!!

selassie
22-01-2023, 06:54 PM
I actually love this team, they have restored my faith in Football. We did not play at our best today but we dug in second half and eventually got that deserved 3rd goal. It was a massive massive win today, these players really want this title.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-01-2023, 06:55 PM
Another thought, Southgate is a fucking moron if he can't put Rashford and Saka in the same team.

Shaqiri Is Boss
22-01-2023, 06:57 PM
Another thought, Southgate is a fucking moron
Well, yes.

That's quite clear.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-01-2023, 06:58 PM
:lol:

Fair.

Globalgunner
22-01-2023, 06:59 PM
Another thought, Southgate is a fucking moron if he can't put Rashford and Saka in the same team.

Southgate is a third tier manager ...at best. He will play Kane till both his ankles are snapped.

Niall_Quinn
22-01-2023, 07:09 PM

The majority of people on this planet today are morons. Especially the ones in any kind of authority. Southgate is just doing what the average (generous) generation excels at.

Niall_Quinn
22-01-2023, 07:09 PM
Southgate is a third tier manager ...at best. He will play Kane till both his ankles are snapped.

He's a top tier manager in a third tier world.

Niall_Quinn
22-01-2023, 07:13 PM
I actually love this team, they have restored my faith in Football. We did not play at our best today but we dug in second half and eventually got that deserved 3rd goal. It was a massive massive win today, these players really want this title.

I like when they play the ball forward towards the opposition goal. It's actually quite fun to watch. You could even call in entertainment. Hasn't happened in many, many years. Coincidentally, the team is top of the league.

Xhaka Can’t
22-01-2023, 07:14 PM
Where has this season come from?

This team is just amazing - heart and skill like we haven't seen in ages. You could see what Arteta was trying to do for some time - I just never believed he had the tools in his locker to achieve it.

GP
22-01-2023, 07:18 PM
Arteta is doing an incredible job. Exceeding all expectations.

Xhaka Can’t
22-01-2023, 07:23 PM
Its great looking at Arsenal at the top of the table with it having nothing to do with the alphabet.

selassie
22-01-2023, 07:31 PM
Arteta is doing an incredible job. Exceeding all expectations.

Yeah he is doing amazing work. He has improved every single player in the team, the quality of football, the mentality, the desire, everything about what he is now doing with this team is Elite.

Ollie the Optimist
22-01-2023, 07:32 PM
Where has this season come from?

This team is just amazing - heart and skill like we haven't seen in ages. You could see what Arteta was trying to do for some time - I just never believed he had the tools in his locker to achieve it.

I wonder if it’s a case of not what has changed but who.

As you say, we could all see what he was trying to do (although hands up, last year most of us doubted it and wanted him sacked) and the players are clearly talented but the signings of Jesus & Zinchenko from city suddenly seemed to change things. These are premier league winners who were sold on the project and have been world class for us. Cant remember who said it on twitter today but they said Zinchenko didnt see this a step Down but rather a chance to level arsenal up which he has done.

The early games were key as well. The team just looked different so the fans wer onboard instantly.

HCZ_Reborn
22-01-2023, 07:45 PM
Ramsdale 6 - Made a couple of excellent saves but just punch you silly boy

White 5 - Has had an excellent season but could not deal with Rashford and even Arteta could see that

Gabriel 6 - Worries me that he’s a bit too easy to wind up

Saliba 7 - Tidy and efficient

Zinchenko 8 - One of his best performances in an Arsenal shirt

Partey 5 - Seemed a bit intimidated by the technical prowess of United’s midfield, doesn’t often have a poor game this was one

Xhaka 6 - Freed from defensive responsibility, showed some influence in the build up to our attacks. Played better today than he has recently

Odegaard 7 - Had to edit this as had forgotten about him, once again our most accomplished player technically

Martinelli 5 - Martinelli of last season was back, too ponderous to pull the trigger and Wan Bisaka often profited from his uncertainty

Saka 9 - Tormented Luke Shaw all game, and got a goal that was as high on quality as it was nonchalance and almost repeated the trick

Edward 9 - Fucker seems to have learnt the art of instant matter transmission, appeared out of nowhere to punish deep lying defending with poacher’s instinct…clever girl

Subs

Tomoyasu 7 - Did much better than White (more of a natural right back)

Trossard 7 - Enticing Cameo, interested to see more

Holding N/A - Didn’t even realise he’d come on

Niall_Quinn
22-01-2023, 07:47 PM
Sky are showing a real match right now.

selassie
22-01-2023, 07:49 PM
I like when they play the ball forward towards the opposition goal. It's actually quite fun to watch. You could even call in entertainment. Hasn't happened in many, many years. Coincidentally, the team is top of the league.

Tell us what you really think NQ? ;)

21_GOONER_SALUTE
22-01-2023, 08:08 PM
Ramsdale 6 - Made a couple of excellent saves but just punch you silly boy

White 5 - Has had an excellent season but could not deal with Rashford and even Arteta could see that

Gabriel 6 - Worries me that he’s a bit too easy to wind up

Saliba 7 - Tidy and efficient

Partey 5 - Seemed a bit intimidated by the technical prowess of United’s midfield, doesn’t often have a poor game this was one

Xhaka 6 - Freed from defensive responsibility, showed some influence in the build up to our attacks. Played better today than he has recently

Odegaard 7 - Had to edit this as had forgotten about him, once again our most accomplished player technically

Martinelli 5 - Martinelli of last season was back, too ponderous to pull the trigger and Wan Bisaka often profited from his uncertainty

Saka 9 - Tormented Luke Shaw all game, and got a goal that was as high on quality as it was nonchalance and almost repeated the trick

Edward 9 - Fucker seems to have learnt the art of instant matter transmission, appeared out of nowhere to punish deep lying defending with poacher’s instinct…clever girl

Subs

Tomoyasu 7 - Did much better than White (more of a natural right back)

Trossard 7 - Enticing Cameo, interested to see more

Holding N/A - Didn’t even realise he’d come on

Yeah, agree in general, though Saka should get like 9.5 cause no one was on his level.

Also not sure Tomi did much better in containing Rashford, in fact I am beginning to see our RB spot as another weak spot (especially if White is intending to have games like this in the future)

BTW, are you warming to Trossard now?

HCZ_Reborn
22-01-2023, 08:16 PM
Yeah, agree in general, though Saka should get like 9.5 cause no one was on his level.

Also not sure Tomi did much better in containing Rashford, in fact I am beginning to see our RB spot as another weak spot (especially if White is intending to have games like this in the future)

Trossard is a perfectly decent player, I just don’t necessarily see him as being Arsenal level but will wait to see what he does. Plus It’s mainly his age in fairness, don’t want lots of cash spent on any player over 25.

Marc Overmars
22-01-2023, 08:33 PM
The most significant trait for me is that this team seems unshakable. They’re so confident in their own ability it’s incredible to watch. Any set back is always met with such a positive response. They’re a young side but they deal with adversity better than the majority of experienced Arsenal players have over the past 15 years.

I’ve wanted Arteta out at various points in his tenure but he’s building something very worthwhile at the moment.

selassie
22-01-2023, 08:45 PM
The most significant trait for me is that this team seems unshakable. They’re so confident in their own ability it’s incredible to watch. Any set back is always met with such a positive response. They’re a young side but they deal with adversity better than the majority of experienced Arsenal players have over the past 15 years.

I’ve wanted Arteta out at various points in his tenure but he’s building something very worthwhile at the moment.

This is the bit that does it for me. We are playing right now like a seasoned champion, it's so good to watch. Even when we went 1 down I knew we would come back, that's how much confidence I have in this team.

The quality of football we play now is really at a high level all over the pitch, sure there is room for improvement, but we are top for a reason and it's not just the results, it's the performances and the consistency of those performances.

GP
22-01-2023, 08:55 PM
Anthony is a shit player. There's nothing about him at all.

Ollie the Optimist
22-01-2023, 09:21 PM
One thing after today is that Martin Tyler needs to be retired. There was a last minute winner in what was probably the biggest game of the season so far and he sounded like he was commentating a snooker match.

It’s been a noticeable thing this year over various games that sky just seem to lack the excitement they used to generate with teh commentary.

There are various clips of this season with Peter Drury commentating our games (i think he works for NBC) and he is so much better. Really helps enhance the moment compared to some of those on sky.

Perhaps majority of sky customers now prefer understated which is hwy they are doing but i doubt it

LDG
22-01-2023, 09:23 PM
Funnily enough with a few exceptions, I thought we were a bit under par today. Some really sloppy passing, especially in the first half. But we didn’t relent with the pressure and deserved the win regardless.

Gooner23
22-01-2023, 09:26 PM
Anthony is a shit player. There's nothing about him at all.

Was funny when Partey absolutely breezed past him. They've spent 100 mil on a winger that can't sprint.

Gooner23
22-01-2023, 09:26 PM
One thing after today is that Martin Tyler needs to be retired. There was a last minute winner in what was probably the biggest game of the season so far and he sounded like he was commentating a snooker match.

It’s been a noticeable thing this year over various games that sky just seem to lack the excitement they used to generate with teh commentary.

There are various clips of this season with Peter Drury commentating our games (i think he works for NBC) and he is so much better. Really helps enhance the moment compared to some of those on sky.

Perhaps majority of sky customers now prefer understated which is hwy they are doing but i doubt it

Agreed, Tyler and Neville are dreadful.

LDG
22-01-2023, 09:27 PM
Nice that old purple nose was there to witness it

Letters
22-01-2023, 09:38 PM
:gp:

I think it was you who highlighted last season how rarely we came back once we went behind.
Now we seem to be able to get over the setback and beat teams.

From past experience you just get a feeling about a title winning side and I’m starting to feel that. City could go mental and win 12 games in a row and blitz us, they have that in them. But we have added some strength in depth in this window, they look in the mood and we have a real chance now.

No one saw this coming this year. Arteta :bow:

Mac76
22-01-2023, 09:41 PM

Still struggling to understand the level of Zin worship, yes he can be good but also he fucked up loads of times today and each time it's when not just him but other Arsenal players are out of position, so it puts us in a mess

A 6 for me

Ollie the Optimist
22-01-2023, 09:45 PM
Still struggling to understand the level of Zin worship, yes he can be good but also he fucked up loads of times today and each time it's when not just him but other Arsenal players are out of position, so it puts us in a mess

A 6 for me

I agree to an extent. I didnt think it was his best first half but in that last 20 minutes, he was outstanding. He controlled the midfield and helped keep the pressure on united.

He did the same last week against spurs. Slotted into the midfield and dominated.

Tbf arsenal today in our defensive third seemed shaky & hesitant unlike last week. But i thought in the last 20 minutes, Zinchenko was outstanding

Marc Overmars
22-01-2023, 09:48 PM

A 6 for me

He was a bit scruffy at times but the same could be said for many today. I believe United are the best team we’ve faced this season because we didn’t look anywhere near as polished as we usually do. That was down to their pressing and midfield.

No doubting his ability though. I think he’s a pretty unique player and it was a masterstroke signing him. Clearly a huge leader too, just embodies everything you want from a player mentally.

Mac76
22-01-2023, 10:01 PM
@ )Ollie / MO

Yeah sure I realise what he does well and having the winner's memtality is definitely important, he just needs to tighten it up a bit

Anyway great result today, the stadium atmosphere was amazing :scarf:

GP
22-01-2023, 10:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5trCyY9LlXg

21_GOONER_SALUTE
22-01-2023, 10:16 PM

I think it was you who highlighted last season how rarely we came back once we went behind.
Now we seem to be able to get over the setback and beat teams.

From past experience you just get a feeling about a title winning side and I’m starting to feel that. City could go mental and win 12 games in a row and blitz us, they have that in them. But we have added some strength in depth in this window, they look in the mood and we have a real chance now.

No one saw this coming this year. Arteta :bow:

No doubt, our Rookie has built an unrecognisable team, though some have always insisted the ingredients were their, you've got to give the Chef his praise for what he's been able to turnout.

I mean we just played 3 of the top 4 (spurs were in it before we beat them) and got 7 points... and in every single game we were the better team. In fact we haven't played a top team and not been the better side.

Thats 50 points from the first 19 games, I think 7 or so more than the invincibles at this stage??

This team is truly special and it would be criminal (not tragic but "criminal") if all this effort isn't crowned with the title.

Honestly this team deserves to be remembered, and well I have the strong feeling they will be :)

21_GOONER_SALUTE
22-01-2023, 10:23 PM
He was a bit scruffy at times but the same could be said for many today. I believe United are the best team we’ve faced this season because we didn’t look anywhere near as polished as we usually do. That was down to their pressing and midfield.

No doubting his ability though. I think he’s a pretty unique player and it was a masterstroke signing him. Clearly a huge leader too, just embodies everything you want from a player mentally.

:gp: Practically all your posts today have been spot on.

I also agree, that both games against Man U have been our toughest. i.e. its been like a John Woo movie.....I wonder why they always bring their A game to us? I mean our we back in the 90s?

https://youtu.be/wcJ5WONqVv4

Chippy
22-01-2023, 10:57 PM
We're going to win the league.

We haven't played anyone yet :rolleyes:

mandela8
22-01-2023, 11:57 PM
Very surprised to see people say Arsenal were below par today. They were brilliant from start to finish.

Their pressing was intense and there was real intent to their play. Most of those 'sloppy' passes were actually attempts to do summin meaningful. That's the price you pay when you're ambitious...I'm sure no one would prefer to go back to the safety first/sideways/backwards approach of previous seasons.

Zinchenko, Partey and Odegaard were imperious. Just on a different level to everyone else. Beautiful footballers. Odegaard in the first half in particular was a real statement performance. Saka had his best ever performance to boot.

Delighted for Nketiah. Thought that sitter was going to cost them but kept going and it was a hugely deserved win. 3-2 really flattered Man Utd. Arsenal were levels above them.

Letters
23-01-2023, 09:17 AM
Having given this matter some thought I am, I have decided, pleased with yesterday's result.

selassie
23-01-2023, 09:26 AM

Top post as usual MO, I agree.

Zinchenko is a top class player IMO, huge leader too as you said and a player with a great mentality, a will to win. What he adds to this team is unique, the inverted full back role he plays, regularly sees him in Midfield linking play with Partey, Xhaka and Ode. Zinchenko is world class on the ball, rarely gives it away, beats the press with ease and he is a great dribbler. He is a top top player, in the kind of mould of someone like Philip Lahm or Joshua Kimmich.

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 10:13 AM

A 6 for me

I don’t rate him at all, as a full back he is sub par but he contributed brilliantly to our attacking play yesterday

Mac76
23-01-2023, 10:18 AM

rarely gives it away,

He gave the ball away 5 or 6 times yesterday and as I said before it's often in areas where we can least afford it. Not saying he isn't a good pick, or denying what he brings, but let's stick to the facts shall we?

Arsenal overall were below par, especially in the first half, but made the win happen with a better second-half performance

A very astute sub at HT btw, with White on a yellow up against Rashford

Ram kept us in the game a few times, notwithstanding a mix-up with Tomi for their second.

Meanwhile Gabriel is excellent

Ram - 7.5
White - 7
Tomi - 7.5
Saliba - 7.5
Gabriel - 8
Partey - 6
Xhaka - 7.5 (great cross for the Eddie header)
Odegaard - 7.5
Zin - 7.5 (up from my 6 of yesterday :lol:)
Saka - 8
Martinelli - 7.5
Eddie - 8
Trossard - 7.5
Holding - (was fine but not on for long)

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 10:18 AM

Arteta still doesn’t have my confidence but in fairness that’s more about me than him, I just plain don’t like the guy….I couldn’t warm to him in a furnace. I’m still forever waiting for the other shoe to drop with our results, so I’m massively surprised with how well we are doing…pleasantly though.
I think a time may come where I have more faith in his ability as a coach (at the moment still very much feel that we are performing in-spite of him rather than because of him) but can never see myself liking him as a person….never felt that way about Wenger or Emery. But doesn’t matter, I don’t need to like him…at the moment it seems he’s doing a fantastic job

selassie
23-01-2023, 10:23 AM
He gave the ball away 5 or 6 times yesterday and as I said before it's often in areas where we can least afford it. Not saying he isn't a good pick, or denying what he brings, but let's stick to the facts shall we?

Arsenal overall were below par, especially in the first half, but made the win happen with a better second-half performance

A very astute sub at HT btw, with White on a yellow up against Rashford

Ram kept us in the game a few times, notwithstanding a mix-up with Tomi for their second.

Meanwhile Gabriel is excellent

Ram - 7.5
White - 7
Tomi - 7.5
Saliba - 7.5
Gabriel - 8
Partey - 6
Xhaka - 7.5 (great cross for the Eddie header)
Odegaard - 7.5
Zin - 6 (a bit harsh, but it's what I said yesterday :lol:)
Saka - 8
Martinelli - 7.5
Eddie - 8
Trossard - 7.5
Holding - (was fine but not on for long)

Stick to what facts? What have I said that is a lie?

Zinchenko is a unique player, whilst his job is to defend because he is a left back he is given license to roam from that position and essentially play as an additional midfielder. That's how I judge him, because that is his specific role. Just like I judge Tierney as a pure full back and not some inverted full back.

I think what Zinchenko brings to the team is priceless, look at his heat map for yesterday's game, look at his contributions.

Why did you rate Zinchenko as a 6? As our worst performer, you rated him below White which is laughable.

Mac76
23-01-2023, 10:28 AM
You said he rarely gave the ball away and that certainly wasn't true yesterday

And yes i should have given him maybe a 7.5 but i said 6 yesterday so was sticking to it :lol:

But i'll change it now...

Yes i saw the heatmap and it's impressive but his passing needs to improve and he needs to stop fawdling on the ball, he did it against Spuds too

Marc Overmars
23-01-2023, 10:44 AM
How do people feel about the Cup game at City this week?

I would personally mix it up a little bit. Certainly start Trossard and Tierney. Maybe bring in Elneny and Smith-Rowe too.

Too many changes could mean a hammering but I do feel like we need to start thinking about prioritising the league now, especially with the EL back soon.

selassie
23-01-2023, 10:50 AM
You said he rarely gave the ball away and that certainly wasn't true yesterday

And yes i should have given him maybe a 7.5 but i said 6 yesterday so was sticking to it :lol:

But i'll change it now...

Yes i saw the heatmap and it's impressive but his passing needs to improve and he needs to stop fawdling on the ball, he did it against Spuds too

I meant he rarely gives the ball away in general.

:lol: on your rating!

Yeah he makes mistakes, but he adds a lot more positives than negatives!

selassie
23-01-2023, 10:55 AM

I would personally mix it up a little bit. Certainly start Trossard and Tierney. Maybe bring in Elneny and Smith-Rowe too.

Too many changes could mean a hammering but I do feel like we need to start thinking about prioritising the league now, especially with the EL back soon.

Yeah I would mix up the team a bit. I would like us to rest or at least put on the bench the likes of Saka, one of Partey or Xhaka, one of Saliba or Gabriel, Ramsdale and both White and Zinchenko. Would definitely start Trossard, Smith-Rowe and Elneny too if he is fit, if not Sambi-Lokonga.

Yeah we just need to make sure we don't get a hammering if things go left. Priority is absolutely the league, followed by Europa.

Mac76
23-01-2023, 11:00 AM

I was thinking about this too, mix it up and then if we lose it doesn't mean anything psychologically as it's not the same team we'd put up against them in the league.

I'd personally bring quite a few people from what we have on the bench - Trossard, Tomi, Holding, Tierney, Vieira and also Elneny and ESR

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 11:02 AM
I think the priority is the league at the exclusion of everything else

I was called massively negative for saying we hadn’t secured 4th, well that’s just a fact we haven’t. I think it’s incredibly unlikely we won’t get top 4 now, but in reality the Europa league was an auxiliary route back to the champions league. I’m not saying winning a European trophy even if it’s not the European trophy wouldn’t be nice…but I just don’t see how we can give it any priority (I’ve said before wouldn’t play Partey or Saka in the fa cup or the Europa league)

Vieira, Smith Rowe and importantly Trossard need game time…I’d honestly start all three on Friday

Mac76
23-01-2023, 11:02 AM
I meant he rarely gives the ball away in general.

I just can't agree, to my mind he does it a lot, I can't ignore what i see

selassie
23-01-2023, 11:09 AM
I just can't agree, to my mind he does it a lot, I can't ignore what i see

https://footystats.org/players/ukraine/oleksandr-zinchenko

I can't claim to be some footy stat expert but his pass completion and successful pass stats are very high.

Letters
23-01-2023, 11:10 AM
I was called massively negative for saying we hadn’t secured 4th, well that’s just a fact we haven’t.
I mean, obviously you're right mathematically. But 11 points clear of 3rd with a game in hand. It seems pretty unlikely that a team who have lost once all season and are in the form we are would suddenly drop that many points to be caught. It would be a ridiculous collapse. Top 2 is all but secured, we just need to keep pushing for the title.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
23-01-2023, 11:14 AM

I'm confused about this, all I know is I am happy it's at Citeh stadium instead which means less pressure on the boys (and less people can read into the result, on our part at least).

Trossard should start, so its whether Saka or Martinelli will have a rest ( I think Saka should rest, it would also reassure Martinelli that Trossard is not after his job :lol:

Vieira should also get a start IMO.

As for Partey, I am confused. Starting Lokonga to me is like accepting we want to lose the game. We really need to do something about this position.

Personally I'd play, Zinchenko their and start Tierney on the left. I also think Zinchenko needs to play as he brings leadership to the team no doubt (his pep talk yesterday was just awesome).

Oh I am also hoping White starts, he needs to makeup for his horror show yesterday.

Hoping for the best, but one thing for sure is Pep will start his strongest team just so he can teach us a lesson.

Marc Overmars
23-01-2023, 11:18 AM
Forgot about Vieira. :lol:

Yeah he definitely needs game time and I think City is a good fixture for him. They’ll play football and also allow us to do the same.

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 11:31 AM
I mean, obviously you're right mathematically. But 11 points clear of 3rd with a game in hand. It seems pretty unlikely that a team who have lost once all season and are in the form we are would suddenly drop that many points to be caught. It would be a ridiculous collapse. Top 2 is all but secured, we just need to keep pushing for the title.

I called it incredibly unlikely and I’m happy with that conclusion, but we are of course only 19 games in and anything is conceivable.

But my point was more about the Europa league being an insurance for entry into the champions league. And given that it’s incredibly unlikely we will need it, i wouldn’t have a big issue with us shit canning the competition

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 11:31 AM
Forgot about Vieira. :lol:

Yeah he definitely needs game time and I think City is a good fixture for him. They’ll play football and also allow us to do the same.

Next thing you know you’ll be forgetting about Dre

Mac76
23-01-2023, 11:44 AM
one thing for sure is Pep will start his strongest team just so he can teach us a lesson. [/b]

not so sure he will, but then they have such quality on the bench that he can move things around without being accused of weakening the team

Xhaka Can’t
23-01-2023, 11:45 AM

Of the three competitions we are in, our priorities need to be:

1. League
2. League
3. League

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Letters
23-01-2023, 11:46 AM
I called it incredibly unlikely and I’m happy with that conclusion, but we are of course only 19 games in and anything is conceivable.

But my point was more about the Europa league being an insurance for entry into the champions league. And given that it’s incredibly unlikely we will need it, i wouldn’t have a big issue with us shit canning the competition

Yeah, the cup competitions can do one this season. We don't have the squad to challenge on fronts, we've got ourselves in the improbable position where a title is very much on the cards, that has to be the priority.

Mac76
23-01-2023, 12:00 PM

I can't claim to be some footy stat expert but his pass completion and successful pass stats are very high.

look at his dispossessed and dribble figures - this is where he's weak IMO, dawdling on the ball, he nearly gave a goal away doing it at Spuds and it started off one or two Utd attacks yesterday too

But look he's a good player, i'm just looking for a bit of balance

21_GOONER_SALUTE
23-01-2023, 12:25 PM

Though I agree with you that Zinchenko's overall contribution to the team is immense, I must say (at least before White's poor show yesterday) that his flank is our weakest defensively and watching games shows a lot of dangerous attacks emanating from his flank.

Also he has been bit sloppy with his passing in our half inviting pressure, but so has Partey. I think ist more of a result of the kind of progressive passing style we insist on, which lets face it, has bore us fruits.

It hasn't cost us much yet, but people are noticing and lets hope more teams don't take advantage of it.

Either way it's winning games at the moment but we can still improve and mix it up once in a while (something surprisingly Xhaka does the best in the middle).

21_GOONER_SALUTE
23-01-2023, 12:28 PM
Of the three competitions we are in, our priorities need to be:

1. League
2. League
3. League

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our squad has pretty much dictated this reality for us.

Shame though, it would be nice to crown this teams effort with 2 trophies.

selassie
23-01-2023, 01:06 PM
look at his dispossessed and dribble figures - this is where he's weak IMO, dawdling on the ball, he nearly gave a goal away doing it at Spuds and it started off one or two Utd attacks yesterday too

But look he's a good player, i'm just looking for a bit of balance

Yeah fair point Mac, I'll watch him more closely from now on ;)

IBK
23-01-2023, 02:15 PM

Youre kidding, right? Rashford had 3 touches in the final 30 mins of this game...Tomi a big part of that, and he settled well after a rusty 5/10 mins....

As for RB issues? Nah mate. Benny Blanco had an off day...but he has been one of our best players all season, and proven it against big teams along the way. Don't think we have much to worry about here. Not many LW's as mustard as Rashford ATM.

mandela8
23-01-2023, 02:30 PM
White is fuckin shite.

Not strong enough for CB and lacks the technical ability to play RB.

Another one of these players who seem to get a pass for being poor. Actually mental to see people credit him with being good all season. Just a complete lack of insight.

One interesting aspect was how much better Saka was in the second half and I don't think it's a coincidence that his improvement coincided with having an actual RB behind him, getting into the positions a RB should to create space, another option or occupy a defender.

White wasn't just poor yesterday, he was genuinely disgraceful.

mandela8
23-01-2023, 02:32 PM
Zinchenko isn't a great defender but he's adequate. He's not there for his defensive capabilities anyway. If you can't see how he enables the entire system Arteta wants to play them I'm naw even sure what the fuck to say.

Baffling.

mandela8
23-01-2023, 02:38 PM
The other point that seems to be neglected on here is just how fuckin atrocious Xhaka is being exposed as, with the fluidity, composure, cuteness and progressive play of Zinchenko, Partey and Odegaard on display next to him. To see how much slower, limited and how poor his decisions are compared to them is unbelievable. He's such an clear and obvious area of improvement that it's actually really encouraging that arsenal are where they are with him in the team. The number of moves that break down or aren't optimized due to him is insane.

Simply not good enough but also seems to get a pass because he isn't gifting goals or getting sent off...while people criticise Zinchenko and Partey giving the ball away :haha:

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 02:50 PM
The other point that seems to be neglected on here is just how fuckin atrocious Xhaka is being exposed as, with the fluidity, composure, cuteness and progressive play of Zinchenko, Partey and Odegaard on display next to him. To see how much slower, limited and how poor his decisions are compared to them is unbelievable. He's such an clear and obvious area of improvement that it's actually really encouraging that arsenal are where they are with him in the team. The number of moves that break down or aren't optimized due to him is insane.

Simply not good enough but also seems to get a pass because he isn't gifting goals or getting sent off...while people criticise Zinchenko and Partey giving the ball away :haha:

I mean you are a complete cunt but on this you’re not wrong.

With Partey though it’s understandable because the bar is set much higher for him…if he gives the ball away which leads to a goal…it’s the equivalent of Xhaka aiming a flying kick at the referee. Xhaka as you for once correctly state, if he’s not gifting goals or getting sent off it’s considered he’s having a good season.

Zinchenko? I’m a bit old fashioned in that I like full backs to be able to defend. I think we look a lot better going forward with Zinchenko than with Tierney and Tierney isn’t really doing that great defensively…he looked asthmatic when he started against the Ammers last month

21_GOONER_SALUTE
23-01-2023, 02:51 PM
Youre kidding, right? Rashford had 3 touches in the final 30 mins of this game...Tomi a big part of that, and he settled well after a rusty 5/10 mins....

As for RB issues? Nah mate. Benny Blanco had an off day...but he has been one of our best players all season, and proven it against big teams along the way. Don't think we have much to worry about here. Not many LW's as mustard as Rashford ATM.

No, not kidding...if I recall correctly Tomi only came out successful against Rashford once and though that's not a crime due to the Rashford's amazing form ATM, he added little to nothing to our attack...in general I don't think he gels that well with Saka, compared to a White ( when he's on form though).

I doubt there's anyone on here who is a bigger cheerleader to White than me, but he was so poor yesterday that it almost felt like a betrayal of some sort...forget that Rashford was on form but Ben was also poor going forward to and just didn't look like he wanted to be on the pitch.

With Southgate in the stands I couldn't help but think about whatever he did that got him sent home from the WC... he still is my favourite defender at the club but honestly his mentality worries me a bit.

Anyway Arteta saw what most of us saw and gave him a deserved break, lets see how other big games go though.

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 02:54 PM
White is fuckin shite.

Not strong enough for CB and lacks the technical ability to play RB.

Another one of these players who seem to get a pass for being poor. Actually mental to see people credit him with being good all season. Just a complete lack of insight.

One interesting aspect was how much better Saka was in the second half and I don't think it's a coincidence that his improvement coincided with having an actual RB behind him, getting into the positions a RB should to create space, another option or occupy a defender.

White wasn't just poor yesterday, he was genuinely disgraceful.

I’m not entirely convinced you don’t just dislike English players….though that said not seen you slag off Ramsdale too much

I’m not convinced White is a right back but from a defensive point of view he’s been outstanding, the amount of interceptions and clearances he’s made…and he’s started to contribute more going forward. I mean anyone who clearly hasn’t seen the improvement from last season to this one, is clearly the type of person who hangs around outside primary schools ready to expose themselves to kids

He was poor yesterday and absolutely spot on that Arteta replaced him, he was a second yellow card waiting to happen. But to suggest that yesterday sums up his entire season, is the kind of thing that only someone who refused to bin their old Jim’ll Fix it annuals would do.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
23-01-2023, 02:59 PM
I’m not entirely convinced you don’t just dislike English players….though that said not seen you slag off Ramsdale too much

I’m not convinced White is a right back but from a defensive point of view he’s been outstanding, the amount of interceptions and clearances he’s made…and he’s started to contribute more going forward. I mean anyone who clearly hasn’t seen the improvement from last season to this one, is clearly the type of person who hangs around outside primary schools ready to expose themselves to kids

He was poor yesterday and absolutely spot on that Arteta replaced him, he was a second yellow card waiting to happen. But to suggest that yesterday sums up his entire season, is the kind of thing that only someone who refused to bin their old Jim’ll Fix it annuals would do.

You can't help yourself can you :haha:

Marc Overmars
23-01-2023, 03:10 PM
It’s funny because regardless of what we think about certain players, tactics, ability etc. This team has blown everyone’s expectations out of the water. Whatever it is, it’s working.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
23-01-2023, 03:12 PM
One thing I like about Areteta is that in almost every interview he keeps insisting the team is a work in progress and are constantly working to improve.

Is this my dream Arsenal team? No. And I mean if I look at all the players, only Saka would make my dream 11 for this club going into the future (and maybe Partey at his best).

But do they play with the commitment and drive I'd want my dream Arsenal team to play with...well clearly they do and its really really lovely to watch. I mean look at Eddies first goal for evidence of that team ethic.

So in summary, we might not have the final product or the best players in most positions, but as a team, these guys are playing their socks off and it is a joy to behold.

You've got to give the Rookie his props for making this magic happen and hopefully he'll perfect the rest (with our criticisms helping though :lol: )

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 03:40 PM
You can't help yourself can you :haha:

The Guy is a piece of shit what can I say

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 03:42 PM
One thing I like about Areteta is that in almost every interview he keeps insisting the team is a work in progress and are constantly working to improve.

Is this my dream Arsenal team? No. And I mean if I look at all the players, only Saka would make my dream 11 for this club going into the future (and maybe Partey at his best).

But do they play with the commitment and drive I'd want my dream Arsenal team to play with...well clearly they do and its really really lovely to watch. I mean look at Eddies first goal for evidence of that team ethic.

So in summary, we might not have the final product or the best players in most positions, but as a team, these guys are playing their socks off and it is a joy to behold.

You've got to give the Rookie his props for making this magic happen and hopefully he'll perfect the rest (with our criticisms helping though :lol: )

I won’t lie I haven’t listened to Arteta do a pre or post match interview in ages, not interested in hearing what he has to say.

Letters
23-01-2023, 03:47 PM
I've always liked Arteta, but he always felt like a punt. He had no real experience at this level.
I thought he came across pretty well in All or Nothing, his team talks were bizarre but seemed to be effective for the team, which is the main thing.
There has been progress under him but the rate of it has been frustratingly slow. Then this season happened.
I did get the sense from All or Nothing that there was a strategy and they were trying to build something, I don't think any of us expected us to step up so much this season - my guess is Arteta secretly didn't expect it either.

Mac76
23-01-2023, 04:41 PM
Zinchenko isn't a great defender but he's adequate. He's not there for his defensive capabilities anyway. If you can't see how he enables the entire system Arteta wants to play them I'm naw even sure what the fuck to say.

Baffling.

if you're talking to me then all i can say is read my comments again - i said clearly he brings good things to the team but just slightly surprised everyone's ignoring his many fuckups - that's all

Mac76
23-01-2023, 04:45 PM

It's well known I'm no fan of Xhaka and would happily see him sold for better, but yesterday he provided a spot-on cross for Eddie's header when that seemed to be beyond the rest of our team, plus one or two very good attacking cross-field passes from him too and tbh i didn't see him do much wrong

For the moment at least he also seems to be avoiding the yellows and red-mist moments (though why more teams don't try to provoke him a bit more is beyond me, I'd have everyone constantly at his heels until he blew up :lol:)

mandela8
23-01-2023, 05:54 PM
if you're talking to me then all i can say is read my comments again - i said clearly he brings good things to the team but just slightly surprised everyone's ignoring his many fuckups - that's all

It wasn't specifically to you but some of what you said fits a bit of a common narrative here, mate.

We have to look a little deeper than "he gave the ball away" type stuff. Now, of course he makes mistakes, as does Partey who has always been prone to a shocking simple pass every game it seems, but we have to measure against what they're doing. The single biggest difference this season is the higher risk/higher reward approach and Zinchenko, Partey and Odegaard drive this entirely. They're charges with playing more difficult passes, taking the ball in tighter spaces and moving the ball at a far higher tempo than the rest of the team. They will make more mistakes than anyone else. That's just a fact. But they will also drive the success more than anyone else. It just bewilders me a little when this isn't acknowledged.

Take Partey's misplaced pass for Rashford's goal yesterday. Saka gives the ball away (not a criticism) right in front of him and it breaks, Partey, under pressure tries to thread a ball around 3 players to Nketiah (I think) who would've been away. I guarantee you Arteta lays no blame at Partey's feet there, yet fans do.

One of the most important lessons we teach, particularly to coaches, but also higher level players, is that you're never wrong in doing the right thing, regardless of outcome. I appreciate this is more of an arm chair audience (not meant to sound as dickish as it does) but this is the measure these players should be held to. They're not Xhaka or Elneny who are tasked/only able as water carriers and to keep it simple.

For example, I've seen multiple rating with Xhaka higher than Zinchenko and Partey. Just incredible, incredible statements of ignorance. It's not even opinion at that point.

HCZ_Reborn
23-01-2023, 06:05 PM
I've always liked Arteta, but he always felt like a punt. He had no real experience at this level.
I thought he came across pretty well in All or Nothing, his team talks were bizarre but seemed to be effective for the team, which is the main thing.
There has been progress under him but the rate of it has been frustratingly slow. Then this season happened.
I did get the sense from All or Nothing that there was a strategy and they were trying to build something, I don't think any of us expected us to step up so much this season - my guess is Arteta secretly didn't expect it either.

It’s odd how two people can watch something and reach a different conclusion. I honestly tried to put my personal dislike of the man behind me, for the first episode of so he came across vaguely sympathetic in that he comes across as someone who is socially awkward (almost to the neurodiverse extent) his body language is closed, he finds it hard to maintain eye contact and he just seems naturally introverted.
But as time went on I just found him unlikable, shouting at the players for his own tactical mistakes….the only time I actually remember seeing his post match team talk and thinking actually the tone and the message were spot on was the post match against City at home…didn’t rant and rave, just calmly explained how they’d played really well but they’d let themselves down at times in the opposition goal and defending their own one…but wasn’t trying to kick them whilst they are down but to say don’t feel sorry for yourselves or hard done by there is a lesson you can take from this.

I remember being at the Brighton game and thinking the players just have no faith in how they’ve been sent out to play (putting Xhaka at left back, playing Lokonga and Smith Rowe in central midfield) and he comes out with some completely incoherent nonsense about Edison and then bollocks the players because he sent them out against a tough tackling team that is far more comfortable on the ball.

I just felt at times like this wasn’t a guy capable of getting his message across or developing a relationship with his players, and maybe this time around he has become more confident and more relaxed. Hopefully because it felt like the players had a much better relationship with Edu and Steve Round than they did him. I think they respect him as someone with great tactical knowledge and that’s where I think Arteta really is strong as a coach, I think his understanding of the game is second to none…

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2023, 08:06 PM
I watched the whole game. I have to say, that passes as an acceptable football match. I didn't think I'd ever see one again. Not brilliant, mind you, relatively speaking. But acceptable and consisting of actual football. If this is the start of a trend then I'm all for it.

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2023, 08:18 PM
Funnily enough with a few exceptions, I thought we were a bit under par today. Some really sloppy passing, especially in the first half. But we didn’t relent with the pressure and deserved the win regardless.

They didn't collapse, they did try to win it, they didn't go for the glorious failure. Not perfect, but a definite key change.

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2023, 08:22 PM
Very surprised to see people say Arsenal were below par today. They were brilliant from start to finish.

Their pressing was intense and there was real intent to their play. Most of those 'sloppy' passes were actually attempts to do summin meaningful. That's the price you pay when you're ambitious...I'm sure no one would prefer to go back to the safety first/sideways/backwards approach of previous seasons.

Zinchenko, Partey and Odegaard were imperious. Just on a different level to everyone else. Beautiful footballers. Odegaard in the first half in particular was a real statement performance. Saka had his best ever performance to boot.

Delighted for Nketiah. Thought that sitter was going to cost them but kept going and it was a hugely deserved win. 3-2 really flattered Man Utd. Arsenal were levels above them.

That's exactly it. When you are playing sideways the whole time of course you have a 99% pass completion. But start playing actual football and the numbers change fast.

Don't get the bit about Partey though? Typo?

IBK
24-01-2023, 11:29 AM
It’s odd how two people can watch something and reach a different conclusion. I honestly tried to put my personal dislike of the man behind me, for the first episode of so he came across vaguely sympathetic in that he comes across as someone who is socially awkward (almost to the neurodiverse extent) his body language is closed, he finds it hard to maintain eye contact and he just seems naturally introverted.
But as time went on I just found him unlikable, shouting at the players for his own tactical mistakes….the only time I actually remember seeing his post match team talk and thinking actually the tone and the message were spot on was the post match against City at home…didn’t rant and rave, just calmly explained how they’d played really well but they’d let themselves down at times in the opposition goal and defending their own one…but wasn’t trying to kick them whilst they are down but to say don’t feel sorry for yourselves or hard done by there is a lesson you can take from this.

I remember being at the Brighton game and thinking the players just have no faith in how they’ve been sent out to play (putting Xhaka at left back, playing Lokonga and Smith Rowe in central midfield) and he comes out with some completely incoherent nonsense about Edison and then bollocks the players because he sent them out against a tough tackling team that is far more comfortable on the ball.

I just felt at times like this wasn’t a guy capable of getting his message across or developing a relationship with his players, and maybe this time around he has become more confident and more relaxed. Hopefully because it felt like the players had a much better relationship with Edu and Steve Round than they did him. I think they respect him as someone with great tactical knowledge and that’s where I think Arteta really is strong as a coach, I think his understanding of the game is second to none…

Not really odd. Different people warm to different characters. But with Arteta I think that the team we are seeing week in week out is not just showing confidence in his tactical nous - like say Mourinho in his prime. They are clearly playing for their manager. So Arteta is evidently more inspirational than you give him credit for. IMO the man comes accross as intense and obsessive, but I found him quite engaging in AON and I like his press conferences and how they reflect on the club. He feels to me like one of our own.

They say that the best leaders never feel like friends and they are not meant to be. They are meant to elevate others by challenging them to reach the height of their potential. It helps when they are likeable (and the evidence shows that the manager is likeable enough when it comes to his players) but Arteta has no need to be liked. He is passionate and authentic, and that seems good enough for his team and is for me also.