PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal v Chelsea. 02/05/23. 20:00

Marc Overmars
01-05-2023, 10:09 AM
Chelsea can’t score goals and lose every week.

What’s going to happen here then?

McNamara That Ghost...
01-05-2023, 10:40 AM
Charity FC do it again.

HCZ_Reborn
01-05-2023, 11:06 AM
Depends on what side we put out. If Arteta doubles down on this team then I have no expectation of anything more than a draw. If we change things around like we should have done weeks ago, looking at a comfortable win

Mac76
01-05-2023, 05:02 PM
0-3 Auba hatter

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 04:29 PM
Team id play this evening

Ramsdale, Tierney, Gabriel, Kiwior, White, Jorginho, Partey, Smith Rowe, Trossard, Nketiah, Nelson

Mac76
02-05-2023, 04:39 PM
Ramsdale, Tierney, Gabriel, Holding, White, Jorginho, Partey, Trossard, Martinelli, Jesus, Nelson

I get why you'd play Nketiah on one level, but he's so shit i'd prefer Jesus still in the absence of Balogun (who btw we really should have recalled in January)

and Kiwior is a left-sided CB who was signed to alternate with Gabriel - Holding should be enough for Chelsea, but we don't want to play the untried Kiwior plus Holding

Trossard can do the Xhaka role and that allows us to play our best player, i.e. Martinelli

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 04:42 PM
Team id play this evening

Ramsdale, Tierney, Gabriel, Kiwior, White, Jorginho, Partey, Smith Rowe, Trossard, Nketiah, Nelson

Martinelli in for ESR or Eddie, but otherwise yeah I’d go with something like that.

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 05:08 PM
Ramsdale, Tierney, Gabriel, Holding, White, Jorginho, Partey, Trossard, Martinelli, Jesus, Nelson

I get why you'd play Nketiah on one level, but he's so shit i'd prefer Jesus still in the absence of Balogun (who btw we really should have recalled in January)

and Kiwior is a left-sided CB who was signed to alternate with Gabriel - Holding should be enough for Chelsea, but we don't want to play the untried Kiwior plus Holding

Trossard can do the Xhaka role and that allows us to play our best player, i.e. Martinelli

We have Newcastle on Sunday and Holding cannot, must not play that game…he will be absolutely rinsed

I don’t care that Kiwior is left footed, it’s another one of Arteta’s neuro diverse behaviours. Fine it makes sense to have a left footed back up for Gabriel but when Holding is such a complete and total detriment to how we are playing…we could change the system but I think it will affect us too much going forward….there’s no rule that says we can’t play two left footed centre halves.

Holding must never play for Arsenal again, not even in a league cup match against Our stadium will become an Aldi in five years FC.

I don’t really care if Jesus plays or not, I think a lot of them need to be punished for playing like a bunch of limp wristed pansies on Wednesday. Fulham lost to them, granted it was at home but they put up a fight (in fact they did so in both fixtures)

Should be consequences, Arteta can talk about the love he has for his players well “get a room fun boys”, now is the time to put the boot in. Not quixotic querulous team talks, not screaming like someone on day release from Broadmoor, avoiding basic eye contact etc. A calm teamtalk that tells the team that for the last however many games the overall standard has not been good enough.

Mac76
02-05-2023, 05:22 PM
sure i just think Eddie is so bad although he does at least keep CBs busy and doesn't abandon his post like Jesus does, so fine

but I'll say again Holding is being scapegoated for not being Saliba and while some people think Kiwoir is some kind of magic bullet, we just don't know how good or not he is

surely the point of having both Partey and Jorg is to give extra cover to shore us up and make Holding less of an issue

that said, if we want to prepare for the Newcastle game, then even though this one is at home, I'm not sure i wouldn't prefer a back three, with both Holding and Kiwior as CBs and maybe ditch Partey on your grounds that he's been awful lately

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 05:37 PM
sure i just think Eddie is so bad although he does at least keep CBs busy and doesn't abandon his post like Jesus does, so fine

but I'll say again Holding is being scapegoated for not being Saliba and while some people think Kiwoir is some kind of magic bullet, we just don't know how good or not he is

surely the point of having both Partey and Jorg is to give extra cover to shore us up and make Holding less of an issue

that said, if we want to prepare for the Newcastle game, then even though this one is at home, I'm not sure i wouldn't prefer a back three, with both Holding and Kiwior as CBs and maybe ditch Partey on your grounds that he's been awful lately

Unfortunately don’t have the luxury of benching Partey

When you have a system that means your centre backs push up high to win the ball but you have a centre back who doesn’t have the pace to do that, not only that but isn’t comfortable enough on the ball to play out of defence it’s a massive problem. On an individual basis he hasn’t made the one responsible for errors leading to goals. But his mere presence causes uncertainty because a system is based on every player adopting a certain role and it’s a role Holding simply can’t adopt.
I don’t think he’s the best centre back ever but neither is he the worst, if he was playing for any premier league mid table side like West Ham, Brentford, Brighton etc he’d be fine…he’s probably not massively worse than someone like Adam Webster or Ben Mee and actually if he was playing next to Saliba he’d be ok because Saliba can play out from the back but next to Gabriel who is also not great on the ball it creates problems.

Kiwior is an unknown quantity to me, he could be no better than Holding, he could even be worse but at the moment i think there’s a giant red flag that keeps being ignored

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 05:38 PM
Forget Newcastle, we’re not going to win that. It’s not as cast iron as the Etihad was but it’s very difficult to see us rallying at this stage and beating a team currently as strong as them.

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 05:40 PM
Forget Newcastle, we’re not going to win that. It’s not as cast iron as the Etihad was but it’s very difficult to see us rallying at this stage and beating a team currently as strong as them.

I think we are better than Newcastle and that’s borne out by our respective points totals. Our strongest team available…I think we’d beat them. At the Emirates they had to pub their way to a draw

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 06:01 PM
Team to play Chelsea: Ramsdale; White, Kiwior, Gabriel, Zinchenko; Odegaard, Jorginho, Xhaka; Saka, Jesus, Trossard.

Subs: Turner, Tierney, Partey, Smith Rowe, Martinelli, Nketiah, Holding, Vieira, Nelson.

Saka still makes it in. :lol:

Kiwior, Jorginho and Trossard start though.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 06:04 PM
Harsh on Martinelli I feel.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 06:06 PM
Auba starts for Chelsea. :sick:

Mac76
02-05-2023, 06:08 PM
Good to see some changes but Nelson and Tierney should be starting too and Martinelli is not the one to be dropped

Mac76
02-05-2023, 06:08 PM
Auba starts for Chelsea. :sick:

The hatter's on

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Good to see some changes but Nelson and Tierney should be starting too and Martinelli is not the one to be dropped

I agree but frankly astounded that Arteta has made that many changes.

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 06:10 PM
Harsh on Martinelli I feel.

Yep but it’s all about the system. Won’t play Trossard on the right (although I think that would work)

Mac76
02-05-2023, 06:18 PM
I agree but frankly astounded that Arteta has made that many changes.

Probably a survival instinct coming into play, I think even he realises people are starting to ask questions about his refusal to change anything

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 06:26 PM
Probably a survival instinct coming into play, I think even he realises people are starting to ask questions about his refusal to change anything

Yeah…no

I think there’s a big difference between the fans asking questions and his employers asking question

The main problem with Arteta is like with Wenger is that there’s no one in a senior position to him that knows anything about football.

Wenger needed tempering by David Dein every now and again, and when he went he retreated into his worse instincus

Josh Kroenke is a happy idiot, sent out to us to keep from under his fathers feet.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 06:28 PM
Team to play Chelsea: Ramsdale; White, Kiwior, Gabriel, Zinchenko; Odegaard, Jorginho, Xhaka; Saka, Jesus, Trossard.

Subs: Turner, Tierney, Partey, Smith Rowe, Martinelli, Nketiah, Holding, Vieira, Nelson.

Saka still makes it in. :lol:: Kiwior, Jorginho and Trossard start though.
Chelsea: Kepa; Azpilicueta, Fofana, Silva, Chilwell; Kante, Fernandez, Kovacic, Madueke, Aubameyang, Sterling.
Subs: Mendy, Badiashile, Felix, Loftus-Cheek, Chalobah, Mudryk, Ziyech, Gallagher, Havert

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 06:29 PM
Someone has speculated that the defensive change could be part of a system change, where we are playing three at the back with Zinchenko and Jorginho in the holding midfield role

Mac76
02-05-2023, 06:33 PM
Someone has speculated that the defensive change could be part of a system change, where we are playing three at the back with Zinchenko and Jorginho in the holding midfield role

As i said a back three isn't a bad move, one game too late unfortunately, should have done it at City

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 06:36 PM
As i said a back three isn't a bad move, one game too late unfortunately, should have done it at City

Unless you are playing a wing back system I’m not keen on it. I think if Ziyech or Mudryk started we would be in for a difficult evening

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 06:54 PM
Come on you morons.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 07:05 PM
Good start.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:08 PM
Xhaka had a chance a few minutes ago.

Half a chance.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:16 PM
Saka header saved!

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 07:17 PM
Chelsea look dreadful.

If this game was 6 weeks ago we’d be 3-0 up by now.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 07:18 PM
Odegaard!!!!

Lovely goal.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:19 PM
ODEGAARD!!

dostoy
02-05-2023, 07:22 PM
Why all this celebration?

There are about 80 minutes to go and they should know how poor they are at keeping a lead.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:24 PM

There are about 80 minutes to go and they should know how poor they are at keeping a lead.

It's a goal.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 07:25 PM
Ramsdale saves from Chilwell

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:25 PM
Great save from Ramsdale off Chilwell!

dostoy
02-05-2023, 07:26 PM
So.

They couldn't keep a 2-0 lead against Liverpool or west ham.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:29 PM
So.

Yeah but what's the point in celebrating anything if football if you only do it when it's a sure thing?

Weird thing to pick up on.

dostoy
02-05-2023, 07:30 PM
Yeah but what's the point in celebrating anything if football if you only do it when it's a sure thing?

Weird thing to pick up on.

Celebrate at the end when you win, not when you haven't won yet.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Jesus and Fofana share a little bit of a likeness.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 07:32 PM
ODEGAARD!!!

McNamara That Ghost...
Celebrate at the end when you win, not when you haven't won yet.

This is the most ridiculous take I think I've ever read. Football is about moments, enjoying those moments and you want people to just sit in silence.

Bizarre.

Shaqiri Is Boss
Goal. 2. Odegaard.

McNamara That Ghost...
ODEGAARD!

Do I have permission to celebrate?

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 07:33 PM
ODEGAARD!

Do I have permission to celebrate?

Might be inadvisable unless we get a third :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:34 PM
Revenge for the 6-0. :pray:

HCZ_Reborn
3-0 now you can

Marc Overmars
JESUS!!!

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:35 PM
JESUS!!!! COME ON!!!!

Shaqiri Is Boss
02-05-2023, 07:36 PM
:haha:

Holy hell Chelsea are bad

GP
3-0 is the most dangerous lead

Marc Overmars
Revenge for the 6-0. :pray:

I’ve been dying for us to dish out a hammering to a rival after seeing us notoriously pumped so many times.

Tonight is the night hopefully. :pray:

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 07:40 PM
Ramsdale trying to recreate his Southampton horror show. :rolleyes:

dostoy
02-05-2023, 07:41 PM
This is the most ridiculous take I think I've ever read. Football is about moments, enjoying those moments and you want people to just sit in silence.

Bizarre.

I never said silence.

Just don't go overboard as there is so long to go and they can't seem to keep a lead.

Football is about winning matches and you only do that at the end.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:42 PM
Fofana's eye is not in a good way.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:44 PM
Auba. :haha:

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 07:46 PM
So.

It’s celebrating a goal not a win

As Maccy said to you, not being able to celebrate a goal means all joy is removed from football

dostoy
02-05-2023, 07:48 PM
It’s celebrating a goal not a win

As Maccy said to you, not being able to celebrate a goal means all joy is removed from football

The joy is only if you win.

What happens if Chelsea score 3 or even 4?

That won't happen tonight though.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 07:49 PM
3-0 HT.

Celebration :police: is watching.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 07:49 PM
HT 3-0

Chelsea are the worst team to come to the Emirates this season but we still had a job to do and I’m glad we’ve taken full advantage.

Don’t let up in the second half. Sleep-walking has cost us badly recently so just keep applying the pressure and see how many more goals we can get.

dostoy
02-05-2023, 07:51 PM
3-0 HT.

Celebration :police: is watching.

Is 3-0 enough?

I think it will be as Chelsea are crap.

dostoy
02-05-2023, 07:54 PM
All I mean is keep the concentration and try to score more goals, not think the game is won at 2-0 in the first quarter of the match and stop playing like Arsenal done against West Ham.

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 07:56 PM
All I mean is keep the concentration and try to score more goals, not think the game is won at 2-0 in the first quarter of the match and stop playing like Arsenal done against West Ham.

What us celebrating on an old fashioned football forum has to do with the teams concentration levels im not at all sure

dostoy
02-05-2023, 07:58 PM
What us celebrating on an old fashioned football forum has to do with the teams concentration levels im not at all sure

Not us celebrating.

Oh dear oh dear.

dostoy
02-05-2023, 07:59 PM
I wasn't talking about the celebrating on here.

I thought that was obvious.

dostoy
02-05-2023, 08:00 PM
That has made me laugh.

dostoy
02-05-2023, 08:02 PM
What do you think the score will be at the end?

21_GOONER_SALUTE

The funny thing his only win over City was when he played a back 3.

And some still think it was the players who panicked and bottled this tittle run.

HCZ_Reborn
I wasn't talking about the celebrating on here.

I thought that was obvious.

Only to you it seems

Plus Chelsea are averaging 0.61 goals a game since The World Cup finished, and have scored one goal in the last seven games

Niall_Quinn
02-05-2023, 08:03 PM
One match post-collapse and it's a respectable performance so far. But the pressure is now off, of course. Still, I suppose they could have packed it in, but instead they look sharper than a pretty miserable bunch of chavs.

Must be fairly obvious how much more forward thinking the team is once you don't have to carry Partey. Think Trossard is a bit of a luxury, far too intricate when simplicity would be fine. The number 20 (don't know his name) is doing well, covering well, making himself available and looking up the field rather than behind him. That Kiwor bloke looks a big step up from Holding, much more commanding when the ball comes into the box.

Xhaka makes a difference.

Need to see a few more games before it's possible to tell if this is same old or genuine improvement. Mentally I mean, because obviously they are a better team now. Such a shame they choked so hard every time city were due. Should have ignored them completely rather than constantly look over their shoulders.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:03 PM
Auba off, Joao Felix on. :lol:

dostoy
02-05-2023, 08:05 PM
Only to you it seems

Plus Chelsea are averaging 0.61 goals a game since The World Cup finished, and have scored one goal in the last seven games

No I think everybody got it, it was just you who didn't.

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 08:05 PM
The funny thing his only win over City was when he played a back 3.

And some still think it was the players who panicked and bottled this tittle run.

It was both

Plus we are playing a Chelsea side bottom of the form table that has lost four out of the last six

We absolutely should have changed the system before tonight. But it’s also clear that there was mental fragility in the team

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:09 PM
Cleared off the line!

So close to 4

Niall_Quinn
02-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Has Azpilahacker not been booked there? That's utterly ridiculous.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Thiago Silva did well to get it off the line.

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 08:11 PM
One match post-collapse and it's a respectable performance so far. But the pressure is now off, of course. Still, I suppose they could have packed it in, but instead they look sharper than a pretty miserable bunch of chavs.

Must be fairly obvious how much more forward thinking the team is once you don't have to carry Partey. Think Trossard is a bit of a luxury, far too intricate when simplicity would be fine. The number 20 (don't know his name) is doing well, covering well, making himself available and looking up the field rather than behind him. That Kiwor bloke looks a big step up from Holding, much more commanding when the ball comes into the box.

Xhaka makes a difference.

Need to see a few more games before it's possible to tell if this is same old or genuine improvement. Mentally I mean, because obviously they are a better team now. Such a shame they choked so hard every time city were due. Should have ignored them completely rather than constantly look over their shoulders.

I tend to share your view that it’s a mixture of post collapse and a shit Chelsea side but as you say every good performance has to be welcomed. Not sure I agree about Partey, he’s been a midfield engine this season despite his post internationals form looking like he’d contracted Malaria.

Jorginho? (The unknown number 20) he’s a decent technical player and was an essential cog of that euro 2020 winning wop team but old and slow.

Marc Overmars
Xhaka shot saved

Good move

McNamara That Ghost...
Xhaka shot saved.

Brilliant from Jesus.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:12 PM
Jesus skies it at the back post.

Classic.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:15 PM
We’re slaughtering them.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:15 PM
Saka just wide.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:17 PM
It wasn't really 'just wide'. :lol:

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:17 PM
Martinelli on for Trossard.

Let him have the 90 FFS.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:18 PM
Trossard off, Martinelli on.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:21 PM
Us dicking around at the back and Chelsea still can’t get close to scoring. :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:22 PM
WTF was that? :haha:

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:23 PM
3-1

Pathetic, still no clean sheet

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:23 PM
3-1 Madueke. :doh:

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:24 PM
Should be 5 or 6 nil but of course we don’t stick the knife in.

Niall_Quinn
02-05-2023, 08:25 PM
Arsenal really never mastered keeping things together for 90 minutes. Just more of the same from the first half and all is well. Or else go for the wide open, cocky bullshit. It's mental. I mean literally.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:28 PM
Don’t think Saka has been particularly good again.

Niall_Quinn
02-05-2023, 08:30 PM
What's the system now - random chaos?

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:31 PM
Zinchenko and Saka off :faint:

Tierney and Nelson on

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:32 PM
Zinchenko off, Tierney on.

Saka off, Nelson on.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:32 PM
What's the system now - random chaos?

Pretty much.

Wouldn’t be shocked if they got a 2nd seeing as we’ve turned on auto pilot.

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:42 PM
Odegaard shot saved

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:43 PM
Gabriel off, possibly injured :rose:

Holding on

Partey on for Jorginho

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:44 PM
Gabriel off, Holding on.

Jorginho off, Partey on.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-05-2023, 08:54 PM
3-1 FT. :bow:

We just never really hammer a team do we?

Marc Overmars
02-05-2023, 08:54 PM
FT 3-1

Good win.

Shame the scoreline doesn’t reflect our dominance but oh well.

On to Newcastle for a second consecutive burial. :rose:

HCZ_Reborn
02-05-2023, 08:56 PM
3-1 FT

Given how dominant we were, disappointing that we faded second half but still decent win and our fifth league win over Chelsea in six games

Letters
02-05-2023, 08:56 PM
Are we allowed to celebrate yet?

dostoy
02-05-2023, 09:02 PM
We can do what ever we want as it makes no difference.

How can Arsenal be so dominant in the first half and win it 3-0 only to lose the second half 1-0?

Mac76
02-05-2023, 11:34 PM

Is it too early for me to enter this as 'Dumbest Post of the Year'?

Mac76
02-05-2023, 11:40 PM
Are we allowed to celebrate yet?

:lol:

dostoy
03-05-2023, 08:35 AM
Is it too early for me to enter this as 'Dumbest Post of the Year'?

Is it too early for dumbest poster of the year?

Letters
03-05-2023, 08:38 AM
I forgot about the GW awards :lol:

Mac76
03-05-2023, 09:55 AM
Is it too early for dumbest poster of the year?

Good point, if not you should go for that too :good:

dostoy
03-05-2023, 01:56 PM
I think there are one or two on here way ahead of me.

They would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0.

HCZ_Reborn
03-05-2023, 02:53 PM
I think there are one or two on here way ahead of me.

They would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0.

Mate you sound like you’re trolling

There’s not a single person on here (you presumably included) who does not want us to win every single game

But whether it’s GW posters or the players celebrating goals I don’t really get your problem with it

None of us were happy with the drop off last night but still we were satisfied with the three points

dostoy
03-05-2023, 08:50 PM
But whether it’s GW posters or the players celebrating goals I don’t really get your problem with it

I can see that.