PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2023

Mac76
07-07-2023, 08:58 PM
Djoko two sets up v Wawrinka, been a walk in the park so far, Wawrinka basically hasn't turned up

Mac76
07-07-2023, 09:17 PM
4-4 in the third, Waw fighting back a bit :popcorn:

Mac76
07-07-2023, 09:35 PM
6-6, tiebreak now

Mac76
07-07-2023, 09:48 PM
Djoko wins, Waw was 5-3 up in the tiebreak but blew both his next two serves :doh:

Letters
09-07-2023, 09:35 PM
Djok two sets up. Play suspended for the night

Mac76
09-07-2023, 10:35 PM
Sorry to see Bublik go out, someone who is a 'character' without being an arsehole - and yes I am referring to Kyrgios :)

Mac76
10-07-2023, 04:52 PM
The Dimitrov v Rune match has been excellent so far and we're not even through the first set :popcorn:

HCZ_Reborn
10-07-2023, 06:39 PM
It’s completely unfair, but Borat has left an indelible impression where I can’t take anyone from Kazakhstan seriously

It’s no more reasonable than not taking Iraqis seriously because of Hot Shots Part Deux but it is what it is

Letters
10-07-2023, 07:20 PM
The Dimitrov v Rune match has been excellent so far and we're not even through the first set :popcorn:

Rune takes it 3 sets to 1.

Letters
10-07-2023, 07:58 PM
Christopher Eubanks :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
10-07-2023, 08:10 PM
Christopher Eubanks :lol:

What’s the joke?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bo_d-bxCYAEyBLw.jpg

Letters
11-07-2023, 06:01 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66158605

HCZ_Reborn
11-07-2023, 07:19 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66158605

Yes I got it first time…thus the picture of Eubank looking deadly serious :haha:. Though in fairness can see why it might not have been clear, maybe I should have made a joke about whether he was one of Eubank’s sold children and he put the S on to disassociate from his father.

I think ultimately that’s more a case of Tsitsipas playing too many games at once. Played two five setters against Thiem and Murray over three days, before the third round a day after that. That plus for me there’s a mental weakness, he was two sets to the good two years ago in the French open final against Djokovic before losing his nerve.

Eubanks could be another Malivai Washington

HCZ_Reborn
11-07-2023, 07:31 AM
Either way all gearing towards an Alcaraz-Djokovic final (though probably won’t end up being that)

Alcaraz still has to get past Rune and potentially Medvedev (who even though is more of a hard court player is a tough test)

Djokovic should get past Rublev but then he has to potentially go against Janik Sinner who almost had him last year

I’m basically rooting for anyone who can nobble Djokovic, don’t want him matching Federer’s eight Wimbledon record

Mac76
11-07-2023, 08:38 AM
I’m basically rooting for anyone who can nobble Djokovic, don’t want him matching Federer’s eight Wimbledon record

I hadn't realised that was at stake, in which case I'm firmly in the Djoko camp - any further downgrading of the Smug Swiss is an opportunity not to be missed

HCZ_Reborn
11-07-2023, 08:49 AM
I hadn't realised that was at stake, in which case I'm firmly in the Djoko camp - any further downgrading of the Smug Swiss is an opportunity not to be missed

Don’t really get the dislike of Federer to be honest, even before Djokovic and Nadal appeared on the scene he breathed life into a game throttled slowly to death by serve volleying, Agassi as entertaining as he was could never consistently challenge the likes of Sampras.

But each to their own, I couldn’t stand Nadal even though as a person he seems genuinely humble because of his record over Federer….the Australian open in 2017 where Federer at 35 developed his back hand to beat Nadal in the final is still one of my favourite matches in tennis.

Djokovic apart from when he plays Nadal I find boring, and he’s a prick. Organised a party as the head of the Players Tennis association managed to infect loads of them with Covid, and behaved like he was being singled out by Australian authorities because he felt he didn’t have to get the vaccine.

Mac76
11-07-2023, 10:30 AM
Don’t really get the dislike of Federer to be honest, even before Djokovic and Nadal appeared on the scene he breathed life into a game throttled slowly to death by serve volleying, Agassi as entertaining as he was could never consistently challenge the likes of Sampras.

But each to their own, I couldn’t stand Nadal even though as a person he seems genuinely humble because of his record over Federer….the Australian open in 2017 where Federer at 35 developed his back hand to beat Nadal in the final is still one of my favourite matches in tennis.

Djokovic apart from when he plays Nadal I find boring, and he’s a prick. Organised a party as the head of the Players Tennis association managed to infect loads of them with Covid, and behaved like he was being singled out by Australian authorities because he felt he didn’t have to get the vaccine.

Yes I agree Djoko's stand on the vaccine is ridiculous but in Nadal's curent absence he's the only person who can knock a few more holes in the Federer GOAT argument - which is already in tatters tbh as both Nadal and Djoko have surpassed his GS wins

HCZ_Reborn
11-07-2023, 11:02 AM
Yes I agree Djoko's stand on the vaccine is ridiculous but in Nadal's curent absence he's the only person who can knock a few more holes in the Federer GOAT argument - which is already in tatters tbh as both Nadal and Djoko have surpassed his GS wins

Oh I think sadly you cannot claim to be the GOAT if you’ve had the number of Grand Slams you’ve won surpassed

So for me that’s a bit like people still trying to claim Ronaldo is the GOAT when Messi winning the World Cup has rather settled that one

But definitely my favourite player and for me the most entertaining to watch

The Wengerbabies
11-07-2023, 04:18 PM
How was his stand on the vaccine ridiculous?

A healthy young man didn't want to forcefully take an untested experimental drug (which has since been found to be unsafe) for a disease they are at little to no risk from. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Was never a big Djokovic fan before 2020 but the way he has been persecuted and come through is admirable, huge fan these days tbh.

A true man of principle.

Mac76
11-07-2023, 04:28 PM
How was his stand on the vaccine ridiculous?

A healthy young man didn't want to forcefully take an untested experimental drug (which has since been found to be unsafe) for a disease they are at little to no risk from. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Was never a big Djokovic fan before 2020 but the way he has been persecuted and come through is admirable, huge fan these days tbh.

A true man of principle.

A true man of principle would accept that if a major tournament, say the Audtralian Open for example, had a rule about vaccinations you either get the jab or you take the consequences - no-one was 'forcing' him to do anything, he chose to kick up a fuss when the rules were clear.

The Wengerbabies
11-07-2023, 04:30 PM
A true man of principle would accept that if a major tournament, say the Audtralian Open for example, had a rule about vaccinations you either get the jab or you take the consequences - no-one was 'forcing' him to do anything, he chose to kick up a fuss when the rules were clear.

He thought he had a waiver, he was used as a political pawn and he did accept the decision with great dignity, he didn't kick up a fuss.

Mac76
11-07-2023, 04:45 PM
Whatever

Anyway he's one set down to Rublev atm, looking like a good match brewing :popcorn:

Letters
11-07-2023, 05:06 PM
Djokovic a set down so has gone in to beast mode and is about to go 5-0 up in the second!

Letters
11-07-2023, 05:22 PM
1 set all.

Mac76
11-07-2023, 05:36 PM
Tight in the third but Rublev is having to play out of his skin, some great shots in the match from both players

Mac76
11-07-2023, 05:41 PM
Actually 4-2 to Djoko now,

Letters
11-07-2023, 06:13 PM
Djok takes the 3rd set.
Final game went on forever but he got there in the end

Letters
11-07-2023, 06:54 PM
Djok wins 3 sets to 1.

Mac76
11-07-2023, 09:12 PM
Djok wins 3 sets to 1.

He wore him down in the end, good match though

HCZ_Reborn
12-07-2023, 03:52 PM
Watching Alcaraz, lot of talent but not sure the consistency is there to go with it yet

HCZ_Reborn
12-07-2023, 03:56 PM
6 days age difference between him and Holger Rune (who is the older) who also has a fairly good range of shots

Letters
14-07-2023, 01:20 PM
Djok serves out the first set.

Letters
14-07-2023, 01:36 PM
Djok gets a break in the second :popcorn:

Letters
14-07-2023, 01:49 PM
Djok holds after a weird game in which Djok lost a point for "hinderance". Never seen that before.

Mac76
14-07-2023, 01:54 PM
Djok holds after a weird game in which Djok lost a point for "hinderance". Never seen that before.

what did he do?

Letters
14-07-2023, 02:23 PM
what did he do?

You know that grunting they do? He did that, but it was a good half second after he played the ball so I guess the umpire declared it a distraction.
Commentators thought it was harsh. Djok two sets up now.

Letters
14-07-2023, 02:33 PM
Sinner holds his serve from 0-40 down!

Letters
14-07-2023, 03:08 PM
Djok holds to go 5-5 in the 3rd - Sinner had two break points.

Letters
14-07-2023, 03:32 PM
Djok takes the 3rd set, and therefore the match, in a tie break. Sinner stepped it up in the 3rd but didn't quite do enough.

HCZ_Reborn
14-07-2023, 06:31 PM
Alcaraz into final, I think if he maintains his form and his bottle he beats the Serb

Mac76
15-07-2023, 11:57 AM
DJok needs two more Wimbledons to outdo the Smug Swiss then Alcaraz can win all he wants - in fact he can be the next person to overtake Mr Cuckoo-Clock

Mac76
15-07-2023, 03:18 PM
Jabeur lost to unseeded player Vondrousova - from what i saw Jabeur was jsut too emotional, gave away loads of chances to build a lead in the first set and just totally blew it

The Wengerbabies
15-07-2023, 04:52 PM
DJok needs two more Wimbledons to outdo the Smug Swiss then Alcaraz can win all he wants - in fact he can be the next person to overtake Mr Cuckoo-Clock
You're a strange person. Such bitter hate for someone you don't even know. Sad!

Mac76
15-07-2023, 05:37 PM
You're a strange person. Such bitter hate for someone you don't even know. Sad!

isn't that what message boards are for...?! ;)

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2023, 04:03 PM
Alcaraz up a double break in the third set!

25+ minute game.

Shaqiri Is Boss
16-07-2023, 04:04 PM
Quite ludicrous game there :blink:

Long and short of it Alcaraz goes two breaks up in the third set.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2023, 04:09 PM
Alcaraz takes the third set 6-1!

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2023, 05:05 PM
Djokovic takes the fourth set 6-3.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2023, 05:23 PM
Not sure how Alcaraz is still in this.

Shaqiri Is Boss
16-07-2023, 05:26 PM
This is just ludicrous stuff :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2023, 05:27 PM
Alcaraz breaks!

Djokovic takes it out on the net post!

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2023, 05:46 PM
Djokovic serving to stay in the Championship!

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2023, 05:49 PM
And he does. Alcaraz to serve it out.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2023, 05:51 PM
Stunning.

GP
16-07-2023, 05:53 PM
Alcaraz is legit

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2023, 05:53 PM
Alcaraz wins 1-6 7-6 (8-6) 6-1 3-6 6-4 to win Wimbledon!!! :bow:

HCZ_Reborn
16-07-2023, 06:05 PM
Alcaraz is legit

Yeah I think so

I did wonder if he was a little too impetuous but the way he took apart Rune and Medvedev on a surface he didn’t at first seem to be too sure with suggested to me he is the real deal. In terms of power he reminds me of Juan Martin Del Potro but just more finesse

HCZ_Reborn
16-07-2023, 06:46 PM
I can’t tell if Alcaraz is struggling with English, or is just a bit thick? Let’s be fair though he’s no less articulate than Bukayo Saka or Emile Smith Rowe.

Letters
06-09-2023, 12:12 PM
Djok :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66724061

Mac76
06-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Djok :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66724061

"Djokovic maintained his perfect record in US Open quarter-finals - with this his 13th win in a row at that stage - to overtake Roger Federer for most Grand Slam men's semi-final appearances"

The Smug Swiss :pal:

Letters
06-09-2023, 01:36 PM
You never disappoint :lol:

Mac76
06-09-2023, 01:49 PM
You never disappoint :lol:

;)

Letters
11-09-2023, 08:55 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66766337

Djok moves on to 24. I can't warm to him like Federer, but pretty clear now he's the GOAT.
It's been an amazing era with those two and Nadal all playing at the same time.

Mac76
11-09-2023, 09:21 AM
The best you can say is that the Smug Swiss is now an increasingy distant third best player in recent times, he's pretty much a footnote now tbh

HCZ_Reborn
11-09-2023, 12:12 PM
The best you can say is that the Smug Swiss is now an increasingy distant third best player in recent times, he's pretty much a footnote now tbh

Sampras far exceeded what Agassi achieved but people remember Agassi far more than the dull one trick pony that was Sampras.

Not a fan of Nadal or Djokovic but Nadal at least had multiple different attributes to his repertoire. Djokovic is a full defensive player who is a freak of nature in terms of his longevity.

Don’t really get what you’ve got against Federer, the most entertaining player to play the game and this smug thing? If you’re as good as him it comes with a degree of nonchalance. Better than going into screaming rants like Djokovic when things don’t go his way, and for all Rafa’s superficial humbleness, this was a guy who could become quite nasty as well if you listen to some of the on court audio…I don’t mean he’s a nasty guy because he’s not, it’s just that to be a winner you have to have an edge to you.

Federer was a player who could keep on improving his game into his thirties, he had a miniature renaissance about six years ago simply by working on a clear weakness his backhand and turning it into another tool in his Arsenal (this is how he beat Nadal in the Australian open final of 2017)

But you do you I guess, can’t really understand how anyone would take a dislike to Federer if I’m honest, he was always a model professional and absolutely will be remembered whether you accept that or not

Mac76
11-09-2023, 02:38 PM
Let's face it, every tennis pro has to be a nasty ruthless bastard otherwise they're never winning anything.

People see what they want to see - Federer was just playing his own little 'Mr Nice' game and everyone fell for it - how pathetic to see the Wimbledon crowd swooning over 'Roger' every time he played

Underneath he wax a sly git - I always remember what he said to Murray when he beat him in the Wimbledon final: "I'm sure Andy will win one grand slam, one day"

sarcastic git, but everyone applauded of course

Letters
11-09-2023, 04:51 PM
I always remember what he said to Murray when he beat him in the Wimbledon final: "I'm sure Andy will win one grand slam, one day"
You remember wrong. Your (bizarre frankly) distain for him even causes you to misremember what Federer said and infer some sarcasm in what he said. His actual words were

"He's done so well over the years, he's been so consistent and to me it shows he cares so dearly about tennis, about this tournament he'll at least win one grand slam, this is what I hope for Andy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8x6f2FLzvc

Yeah, what an utter bastard!

Mac76
11-09-2023, 05:03 PM
You remember wrong. Your (bizarre frankly) distain for him even causes you to misremember what Federer said and infer some sarcasm in what he said. His actual words were

"He's done so well over the years, he's been so consistent and to me it shows he cares so dearly about tennis, about this tournament he'll at least win one grand slam, this is what I hope for Andy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8x6f2FLzvc

Yeah, what an utter bastard!

ok, so i got the exact words wrong but "at least one grand slam" - that's the key part I remembered - if you can't see the arrogant and patronising nature of his words then you're too far gone down the 'Darling Roger' road I'm afraid

Letters
11-09-2023, 05:13 PM
ok, so i got the exact words wrong but "at least one grand slam" - that's the key part I remembered
You didn't remember it. That's not even what you said above. You said "one grand slam one day" and you emphasised the "one"s as if he said it in some sarcastic way.
He didn't say that and he didn't emphasise the "one". And you "accidentally" left out the part where he said "this is what I hope for Andy".

if you can't see the arrogant and patronising nature of his words then you're too far gone down the 'Darling Roger' road I'm afraid

The alternative explanation of course being you're so entrenched in your position that "Federer bad", you can't spot genuine good wishes for a fellow player when you hear it.

Mac76
11-09-2023, 05:47 PM
You didn't remember it. That's not even what you said above. You said "one grand slam one day" and you emphasised the "one"s as if he said it in some sarcastic way.
He didn't say that and he didn't emphasise the "one". And you "accidentally" left out the part where he said "this is what I hope for Andy".

The alternative explanation of course being you're so entrenched in your position that "Federer bad", you can't spot genuine good wishes for a fellow player when you hear it.

OK sure, I (genuinely) agree I'm biased because I really don't like Federer, personally I do find him smarmy and smug and didn't particularly enjoy watching him play - also all the fawning over him made me feel nauseous tbh

but having said that, I remember saying to someone else at the time about that Murray remark and they said they thought it didn't ring true

anyway his legacy is being swiftly dismantled by Rafa and Jokeavic so all good :lol:

Letters
12-09-2023, 07:51 AM
Certainly his position as the GOAT has been removed. I don't think his legacy as one of the "big 3" of the modern era is going away.
I am interested in your distain for Fed. I personally find Djok hard to warm to, but Federer always seemed like a genuinely nice bloke to me and I enjoyed watching him more than Djok or Nadal.
I've never thought of Federer as particularly divisive, but here we are! :lol:

The Wengerbabies
12-09-2023, 08:48 PM
Certainly his position as the GOAT has been removed. I don't think his legacy as one of the "big 3" of the modern era is going away.
I am interested in your distain for Fed. I personally find Djok hard to warm to, but Federer always seemed like a genuinely nice bloke to me and I enjoyed watching him more than Djok or Nadal.
I've never thought of Federer as particularly divisive, but here we are! :lol:

I was never the biggest fan of Djokovic but have changed my mind a lot about him in the last few years.

It really is disgusting the way he is treated.

HCZ_Reborn
13-09-2023, 11:43 AM
I was never the biggest fan of Djokovic but have changed my mind a lot about him in the last few years.

It really is disgusting the way he is treated.

I wonder why that would be? This sudden change of heart of yours.

Transparent as glass you are

The Wengerbabies
13-09-2023, 01:29 PM
It wasn't sudden.