PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal vs Forest: Player ratings and Match Reaction

HCZ_Reborn
12-08-2023, 02:38 PM
Ramsdale 5.5 - Didn’t have too much to do thanks to Forest getting altitude sickness that far up the pitch but brought his clown shoes to the game with ball at his feet

White 5 - Just a liability at the moment

Saliba 6 - Good assist for Saka, ultimately his biggest contribution to the game

Timber 3 - Has anyone checked if he’s related to Aaron Ramsey because the way he gave the ball away under no pressure was uncannily similar

Partey 5 - Needs to be given an MRI to check for neurological issues affecting his fine motor coordination.

Rice 7 - Can’t really fault him for the total defensive shambles, he did make some interceptions and he got forward well.

Havertz 6.5 - Still lacks the ability on the ball to play in central midfield but tried to create chances everywhere, unfortunately we have a team of poor finishers.

Odegaard 5 - The Odegaard that we bought two years ago is back!

Martinelli 6.5 - Can’t really give him any higher because he was so totally isolated from the game by the setup that he wasn’t able to consistently repeat the brilliance that led to our opening goal

Saka 8 - Main attacking threat and absolute thunderbolt of a goal.

Nketiah 7 - Finally realised where he needs to be on the pitch to actually score goals

Subs -

Tomoyasu 5 - Was no worse than Timber but that’s a low bar to hurdle over

Trossard 6 - Needs to be prepared to take shots on himself

Gabriel 7 - Solid presence

A lot of Arsenal performances under Arteta have made me angry, this made me angry and depressed. Angry because it’s so glaringly obvious that putting out a side like that can only come from the mind of someone not fully wedded to reality. Depressed because we know full well now how badly this season will go (well some of us who don’t think the writing on the wall is written in invisible ink)
Feel ashamed of us as a club, if we wanted to play like spastics we didn’t need to spend so much money to do so.
For me this season will be like chemotherapy, will be a horrible thing to endure and will make me feel sick. But it’s possibly the only thing that will rid us of that tumour Arteta.

Mac76
12-08-2023, 03:03 PM
A lot of Arsenal performances under Arteta have made me angry, this made me angry and depressed. Angry because it’s so glaringly obvious that putting out a side like that can only come from the mind of someone not fully wedded to reality. Depressed because we know full well now how badly this season will go (well some of us who don’t think the writing on the wall is written in invisible ink)
Feel ashamed of us as a club, if we wanted to play like spastics we didn’t need to spend so much money to do so.
For me this season will be like chemotherapy, will be a horrible thing to endure and will make me feel sick. But it’s possibly the only thing that will rid us of that tumour Arteta.

Blimey have you been drinking? :lol:

I always add at least a point onto your player scores which means Saka was a 9 but also Rice an 8 - impressive PL debut for him on that score...

HCZ_Reborn
12-08-2023, 03:08 PM
Blimey have you been drinking? :lol:

I always add at least a point onto your player scores which means Saka was a 9 but also Rice an 8 - impressive PL debut for him on that score...

Nah I’d be a lot less annoyed than I am now if I had been drinking

Today was a horrible shit show, and so horrendously predictable. Sometimes winning games like this almost makes it worse because managers will take it as a sign that things are copacetic.

Mac76
12-08-2023, 03:30 PM
I've no doubt the Kroenkes look at the score and think all's well, but from what people have said here it's all horribly predictable and we are not the high-class dominating side we need to be

My concern is if they don't break up Arteta's nursery school soon we'll be wasting some of the best years of the very good/promising players in the squad

HCZ_Reborn
12-08-2023, 03:38 PM
I've no doubt the Kroenkes look at the score and think all's well, but from what people have said here it's all horribly predictable and we are not the high-class dominating side we need to be

My concern is if they don't break up Arteta's nursery school soon we'll be wasting some of the best years of the very good/promising players in the squad

Problem is the Kroenkes don’t understand football, so they can’t see the clear warning lights. Otherwise they’d have sacked Arteta almost three years ago. And Arteta has big support amongst an ill informed fan base that equate spending a lot of money with success (which it should be if you buy the right players)

mandela8
12-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Everyone gets a 5 for me. Maybe White a 4 and Partey a 6, as the worst best of today, but not much in it, really.

A bit disjointed but it's the first game of the season, so not an issue. I was actually encouraged that Arteta made a meaningful in-game change, around 30 mins, when it was clear Rice was struggling at DM, so he was moved up and Partey came into the middle. I think we've all complained about Arteta being too rigid and not changing it when needed, so credit where it's due.

3 points on the board. All that matters in the first few games.

Marc Overmars
12-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Could have been a home game from last season if you didn’t know any better.

Happy with the 3 points of course but you just don’t see that cold bloodedness like you do with City.

mandela8
12-08-2023, 04:00 PM
Saka was a 9 but also Rice an 8 - impressive PL debut for him
Not sure if serious.

Saka scored an beauty of a goal but his general play was very poor today. Rice clearly struggled to look like anything other than a white Elneny.

Behave yourself, ffs.

HCZ_Reborn
12-08-2023, 04:00 PM
Could have been a home game from last season if you didn’t know any better.

Happy with the 3 points of course but you just don’t see that cold bloodedness like you do with City.

Last season we were able to score more goals, we had to rely on two moments of individual brilliance to stop Forest winning, and there’s no doubt they should have won.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
12-08-2023, 04:37 PM
Everyone gets a 5 for me. Maybe White a 4 and Partey a 6, as the worst best of today, but not much in it, really.

A bit disjointed but it's the first game of the season, so not an issue. I was actually encouraged that Arteta made a meaningful in-game change, around 30 mins, when it was clear Rice was struggling at DM, so he was moved up and Partey came into the middle. I think we've all complained about Arteta being too rigid and not changing it when needed, so credit where it's due.

3 points on the board. All that matters in the first few games.

I'd go with you here.

Unlike a lot of you guys, I'm pretty happy we got the 3 points as I did see a bore draw, especially if we'd setup the way we did against Citeh. Thankfully we didn't and I was pretty encouraged when I saw the starting lineup.

This game (and a bit of what we saw preseason) confirms one main thing to me.

Firstly, Havertz and Rice were luxury signings. Having to change his formation to suit them shows they addressed no shortcomings in this team. Simply put if we'd played Jorginho instead of Rice and Trossard instead of Harvertz this could have probably been 5 or 6 with Turner helping us out of course. My hope is that Arteta doesn't get carried away by these two that he feels the need to keep tinkering with his system that was solid enough if our regular players are fit. I do hope however that Rice proves to me that he is needed in this team but I'm pretty sure Havertz (though I've put him as my top scorer) won't be important for this team like I said in the beginning.

Anyway, the priority this summer (for me anyway) was to keep the players that kept us ticking last season, doing so is success. I just hope Arteta starts our best players and doesn't give preference to his luxury signings, that's the new worry.

Marc Overmars
12-08-2023, 05:02 PM
I think it’s obvious that we’re going to be relying heavily on our pace and athleticism to prevent dangerous situations. I don’t really see much positional discipline from this team.

HCZ_Reborn
12-08-2023, 05:05 PM
The issue isn’t “luxury” players, it’s a coach who is a deranged maniac. The very example of someone who when you reward someone for their stupidity only makes them more stupid. So stupid in fact he genuinely believes he’s the most intelligent manager in the league.

Rice I can’t fault, given that he understands that you need to score goals to win games and actually did his own job of making interceptions as well as trying to get a goal when he realised that as well as being poor finishers many of the players around him were ducking the responsibility of trying to get goals

Timber aside it was our established players that really were horrible to see. Partey? It’s like watching this relative who was once alive and vital, but now has suffered a stroke and is dribbling out of one side of his mouth and there is a permanent crusty yellow stain in the crotch area of the trousers.

White for their goal, trying to get back against Elanga like a father running after a car that’s been nicked by a hoodie whilst his new born baby is in the back seat…all because he’d left the keys in there . Painful, heart rending and shameful to watch.

The only thing heartening about today is if you were a Spurs fan trying to cheer yourself up after Harry Kane has gone.

The absolute pits, almost worse than the last days of Good Ebening.

As much as I’m laying blame on the players, it’s the coach…the high line, the fucking inverted full back system and the in game management that’s as slow to respond as a laptop on safety mode.

He has to be sacked. And I don’t mean at the end of the season, I mean now. We can’t salvage this season but we can try and make the most before we hurt ourselves even more by selling Tierney.

I repeat. He has to go now…not next week, not tomorrow, right this instant

Mac76
12-08-2023, 05:43 PM
Not sure if serious.

Saka scored an beauty of a goal but his general play was very poor today. Rice clearly struggled to look like anything other than a white Elneny.

Behave yourself, ffs.

:lol: as said earlier i didn't see the game, it was more a comment on HCZ's scoring that's all

HCZ_Reborn
12-08-2023, 05:48 PM
:lol: as said earlier i didn't see the game, it was more a comment on HCZ's scoring that's all

Saka was again left to be the only attacking outlet. Martinelli hardly saw the ball, because of Havertz and because of Timber and Tomoyasu behind him.

His goal was almost a “fuck it if no one else is going to take responsibility”

It was unrealistic to give any player above a 7 today, MO bemoaned a lack of positional discipline but if you keep playing players out of position I don’t see what you can expect.

Maybe if this continues they will down tools and Arteta will be out on his arse.

mandela8
12-08-2023, 05:51 PM

Ahh...fair enough, man. Easy to miss stuff when you have to skip so many posts on here.

First games of the season are always a bit weird. Result > performance.

Mac76
13-08-2023, 09:09 AM
Just watched the goals, Eddie had a bit of luck with the deflection but Martinelli's setup play was brilliant, great goal from Saka but poor defending for the Forest goal, the scorer was given the freedom of the pelanty area

HCZ_Reborn
13-08-2023, 09:38 AM
Just watched the goals, Eddie had a bit of luck with the deflection but Martinelli's setup play was brilliant, great goal from Saka but poor defending for the Forest goal, the scorer was given the freedom of the pelanty area

There were so many disturbing factors in terms of the system we play where they were able to beat our offside trap or exploit that we were pushed up and out of position. I’m fully convinced had they shown any ambition they would have won yesterday. Zero positional discipline because Arteta put together this haphazardly assembled tactical shape and too many players drifted out of position and simply did not know where they needed to be.

That and our own inability to create because too often, players like Havertz, Odegaard and to be honest when he came on Trossard did not want to take the responsibility on and laid on chances for other people instead. Giving Forest time to get back and make interceptions

Utterly shambolic, as I said yesterday almost nothing positive to be taken from that game.

Mac76
13-08-2023, 10:03 AM
That echoes with what MO said above and also others, ultimately it's not about this or that player but how we're set up and that's down to Arteta, I wasn't excited about this season before the game and I think our patience is going to be well and truly tested

HCZ_Reborn
13-08-2023, 10:13 AM
That echoes with what MO said above and also others, ultimately it's not about this or that player but how we're set up and that's down to Arteta, I wasn't excited about this season before the game and I think our patience is going to be well and truly tested

That comes with the caveat yes but. When we’ve spent 600 million since Arteta came to us (485 million net) you would expect to have players who are consistent goal scorers in the squad, not players who are decent at creating chances but not necessarily finishing them. So the players we have are a factor as well

But yes the money we’ve spent suggests we shouldn’t be a play thing for a manager to make left field experimental changes with that seldom work. Arteta is obsessed with this inverted full back nonsense and the irony is it’s meant to force the wide player of the opposition inside, when the exact opposite occurs.

Mac76
13-08-2023, 11:06 AM
On that last bit, yes agreed

Letters
16-08-2023, 05:49 AM
He has to be sacked.
You are properly bonkers, aren’t you?
You predicted we’d finish something like 5th last season.
We finished 2nd, had the first proper title challenge for years, contrary to everyone’s expectations, including yours. And you’ve spent every waking hour since we fell short last season frothing at the mouth about Arteta. Including ranting and raving about Saturday’s game which we won!

Do you do this at work if you line manage anyone? Set them a target and then when they massively exceed it obsessively focus on anything which fell short of perfection and demand they’re sacked? It’s not rational.

Expections are obviously higher this season and with the investment we really need to deliver. But judging by this place and social media the jerking has started ludicrously early this year.

HCZ_Reborn
16-08-2023, 06:07 AM
He’s spent 600 million in just under four years. Yes we finished 2nd last season but it’s clear he’s taken us backwards from there not forward into being genuine title challengers. Maybe open your eyes a bit, watch a live game or two then you’ll have a better idea. I’m not saying you’ll agree with me, but when we’ve been able to spend money and it’s just been wasted on positions we don’t know where we have to play people out of position and look completely unbalanced. No I’m not going to be happy about it. Yes I don’t think we should indulge that anymore and instead we need to move on and get a coach who buys what we need and does the basics right

Letters
16-08-2023, 06:33 AM
Yes we finished 2nd last season but it’s clear he’s taken us backwards from there
No it isn’t. We’ve played 1 game, which we won.
By all accounts we rather stumbled through it, but a win’s a win.
You don’t really get a sense for how the season is shaping up till Christmas.

Maybe open your eyes a bit, watch a live game or two then you’ll have a better idea.
Well this is fair comment. But you are clearly one of those people who moans excessively about every setback. I’d once again remind you that we massively exceeded your expectations last season. And in the middle of last season when we had our Wobble you wee wringing your hands about us not even finishing Top 4 when it was apparent that we were miles better than everyone bar City last year.
You have a tendency to overreact. You’re doing it now. It’s 1 game. You might be right but we need to get further into the season before we’ll really see how this team are performing. Now I’d be the first to admit I’m too patient with managers. I certainly was with Wenger (although I continue to believe he was never quite as bad as some made out). But given your posts on Arteta my feeling is even if we did replace him, you’d soon be moaning about the new guy after a brief honeymoon period. Unless we started properly dominating I guess, but with other clubs having spending power as big as ours if not bigger that will be difficult for any coach to achieve. Pep has done it with a club backed by a nation state. That’s very much the outlier though.

HCZ_Reborn
16-08-2023, 06:44 AM
No I don’t expect us to dominate, I expect us to spend money on the correct players not stack us full of defenders and neglect other areas of the pitch in the process.

How can we have spent so much money and not have a proper striker and not made any attempt to get one. How do we lack a number 8 and are trying to shoe horn players we didn’t need to buy in the first place like Vieira and Havertz in there.

Saturday showed what’s likely to happen when we come up against a better side than Forest. It wasn’t a case of players performing badly (although a lot of them did) it was about insistence on playing a system that leaves us vulnerable to conceding without having the right players to score at the other end.

In fact it just confirmed what I feared before the season started. It was nice to think I could be wrong and that Havertz could perform out of position, that Martinelli wasn’t going to be isolated, that Odegaard wasn’t going to revert to type that our defence wouldn’t be caught cold by a single headed ball but all those things did happen.

These kind of things are acceptable when you don’t have the money to address the issue, but as I say we’ve spent 600 million and largely quite poorly

Chippy
16-08-2023, 08:56 AM
No I don’t expect us to dominate, I expect us to spend money on the correct players not stack us full of defenders and neglect other areas of the pitch in the process.

How can we have spent so much money and not have a proper striker and not made any attempt to get one. How do we lack a number 8 and are trying to shoe horn players we didn’t need to buy in the first place like Vieira and Havertz in there.

Saturday showed what’s likely to happen when we come up against a better side than Forest. It wasn’t a case of players performing badly (although a lot of them did) it was about insistence on playing a system that leaves us vulnerable to conceding without having the right players to score at the other end.

In fact it just confirmed what I feared before the season started. It was nice to think I could be wrong and that Havertz could perform out of position, that Martinelli wasn’t going to be isolated, that Odegaard wasn’t going to revert to type that our defence wouldn’t be caught cold by a single headed ball but all those things did happen.

These kind of things are acceptable when you don’t have the money to address the issue, but as I say we’ve spent 600 million and largely quite poorly

I must agree, we do seem to have spunked quite a bit of money on positions we didn't really need to. Especially Havertz, wtf.
In addition, the set up for the Forest game was a bit odd. Thomas at RB?

Marc Overmars
16-08-2023, 09:42 AM
Havertz for me is either a stroke of genius or an utter failure that could be detrimental to Arteta’s tenure.

Happy to back him because he’s quite obviously moved the club on from the dire end of Wenger, Emery and the lockdown seasons but the expectations are real now and this season will be quite significant I feel.

Niall_Quinn
17-08-2023, 04:14 AM
He’s spent 600 million in just under four years. Yes we finished 2nd last season but it’s clear he’s taken us backwards from there not forward into being genuine title challengers. Maybe open your eyes a bit, watch a live game or two then you’ll have a better idea. I’m not saying you’ll agree with me, but when we’ve been able to spend money and it’s just been wasted on positions we don’t know where we have to play people out of position and look completely unbalanced. No I’m not going to be happy about it. Yes I don’t think we should indulge that anymore and instead we need to move on and get a coach who buys what we need and does the basics right

Backwards?

Your views on Arsenal are as valid as your learned judgements on the kangaroo cases hopping around America.

You've obviously got a short memory. Go back a few years and, if you could recall, you'll see one of the worst Arsenal teams ever to foul the PL, or Div 1 or 2 for that matter. A bunch of prancing ponies on top dollar that could barely kick a ball. A hopeless bunch of second raters who made watching them a penance.

Now, at least, they can kick a ball. And there are signs (tentative) they may even be able to do more than that.

Don't get me wrong. It's still a shittier than shit can be team (relatively speaking when compared to decent Arsenal teams of the past). But compared to the pile of shit that constitutes the PL (the best league in the world), Arsenal are genuinely second best now. Before, our dreams of being second best were just that, dreams. Now we're genuinely also-rans, instead of never-rans.

It's progress whether you like it or not. And the gypos are so shit that we literally had to hand the title to them. So there's even a chance we could be best of an appalling bunch.

You can only beat what's put in front of you.

Niall_Quinn
17-08-2023, 04:16 AM
FTR, didn't watch the game, don't care, but well done the lads for the sake of nostalgia.

HCZ_Reborn
17-08-2023, 05:04 AM
FTR, didn't watch the game, don't care, but well done the lads for the sake of nostalgia.

You didn’t watch the game but are content to question my view of things, you don’t care but still churned out half an essay

I’d expect nothing but a dossier if by chance you do happen to watch the game

Mac76
17-08-2023, 06:38 AM
You are properly bonkers, aren’t you?
You predicted we’d finish something like 5th last season.
We finished 2nd, had the first proper title challenge for years, contrary to everyone’s expectations, including yours. And you’ve spent every waking hour since we fell short last season frothing at the mouth about Arteta. Including ranting and raving about Saturday’s game which we won!

Do you do this at work if you line manage anyone? Set them a target and then when they massively exceed it obsessively focus on anything which fell short of perfection and demand they’re sacked? It’s not rational.

Expections are obviously higher this season and with the investment we really need to deliver. But judging by this place and social media the jerking has started ludicrously early this year.

On the one hand it's true it's only one game etc but, while my feelisgs aren't as extreme as HCZ's, I too have low expectations given there's no sign Arteta has learnt any more about how to set up a team, it's literally like watching a kid playing with lego

I think our transfers this time around have been highly questionnable, we paid too much for Rice when we should have been targetting Caicedo, Havertz is unnecessary and as people have pointed out his price tag means we have to play him which means Trossard, whose only crime is to be a second-choice transfer bought for a reasonable price, is consigned further to the bench

And now we have this Raya thing which I'm far from sure about, I don't buy into this two-keepers-fighting-for-a-starting-place thing, just let Ram get on with his job ffs instead of undermining him - what message does it send opposition forwards if it looks like we don't trust our 'keeper?

And lastly the complete failure to see we need a striker will come home to roost - we can't rely on deflected Eddie shots and Saka wondergoals every game

HCZ_Reborn
17-08-2023, 07:32 AM
I like the Raya transfer especially the way it’s been done (initially as a loan). I think having pressure for positions brings out the best in players and I think the absence of that pressure brings about lack of consistency. I think Ramsdale has a very good mentality, he will look upon this positively as a way of keeping him on his toes. I don’t think he will see it as undermining.
I just wish we had that same mentality with Saka, fucking Zinchenko etc….I think you shouldn’t expect to play if you’ve been a passenger for a few games in a row.

I think there’s two reasons to drop players, one because they’ve been shit for a few games, second if their fitness drops below the red zone…a bit like pace bowlers……you put your strongest ones out there for six or seven overs each for maximum impact and then give them a rest (fixtures dependent)

Globalgunner
17-08-2023, 11:10 AM
The only way to keep 2 quality keepers in the same team is to guarantee both of them adequate games. Raya dreams of being first choice for his national team otherwise he wont stay and since he is on loan, you cant assess if he is good enough if he is not thrust in the heat of things regularly. The obvious way to do this is play Ramsdale in the PL and Raya in CL and cup games.
But we know Arteta doesn't do the obvious, Padwan to his old Master Wenger he will do the opposite of conventional thinking and play favourites till hell freezes over.
Keep placing White at RB to no advantage except to the opposition and play that donkey Xhaka even in his nightly dream teams.

By December, reality will bite us fierce in the ass I wager

Marc Overmars
17-08-2023, 11:33 AM
It’s a given that Raya will play in the 2 cups but the most telling thing will be who plays in the CL. If you’re Ramsdale I find it hard to see how your nose wouldn’t be put out of joint being the keeper who was playing when the team qualified for it.

Niall_Quinn
17-08-2023, 12:24 PM
You didn’t watch the game but are content to question my view of things, you don’t care but still churned out half an essay

I’d expect nothing but a dossier if by chance you do happen to watch the game

Yeah, sure. And I didn't borrow your telescope to blind myself proving the rising of the sun. Anyone who thinks Arsenal is going backwards has an axe to grind and nothing more.

mandela8
17-08-2023, 12:49 PM
The only way to keep 2 quality keepers in the same team is to guarantee both of them adequate games. Raya dreams of being first choice for his national team otherwise he wont stay and since he is on loan, you cant assess if he is good enough if he is not thrust in the heat of things regularly. The obvious way to do this is play Ramsdale in the PL and Raya in CL and cup games.
But we know Arteta doesn't do the obvious, Padwan to his old Master Wenger he will do the opposite of conventional thinking and
Keep placing White at RB to no advantage except to the opposition and play that donkey Xhaka even in his nightly dream teams.

By December, reality will bite us fierce in the ass I wager

Aye, have to agree with this, tbh.

Whoever is the biggest sycophant will get the nod.

Teachers pets >>>>>>>

HCZ_Reborn
17-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Yeah, sure. And I didn't borrow your telescope to blind myself proving the rising of the sun. Anyone who thinks Arsenal is going backwards has an axe to grind and nothing more.

I do have an axe to grind. That a manager who likes putting square pegs in round holes is actually a barrier to the progress we’ve made (which I don’t think is attributable to him…Saka and Martinelli were here before he arrived, and the latter is being held back by Arteta by starving him of service).

Either watch the games or don’t, but don’t claim to know what’s going on if you don’t

Mac76
17-08-2023, 02:20 PM
It’s a given that Raya will play in the 2 cups but the most telling thing will be who plays in the CL. If you’re Ramsdale I find it hard to see how your nose wouldn’t be put out of joint being the keeper who was playing when the team qualified for it.

Yes, quite, Ram will be effed off bigtime if he isn't playing CL, so i guess then you're maybe looking at Raya being used fairly little or playing some PL games, which for me gets confusing and just muddies the waters, I think Arteta's created a bit of a headache here

Mac76
17-08-2023, 02:23 PM
Aye, have to agree with this, tbh.

Whoever is the biggest sycophant will get the nod.

Teachers pets >>>>>>>

Yes whoever can assuage Arteta's insecurities the most will undoubtedly be head of the queue

HCZ_Reborn
17-08-2023, 02:38 PM
Yes whoever can assuage Arteta's insecurities the most will undoubtedly be head of the queue

And these insecurities, are they in the room with us now? :haha:

Niall_Quinn
17-08-2023, 03:03 PM
I do have an axe to grind. That a manager who likes putting square pegs in round holes is actually a barrier to the progress we’ve made (which I don’t think is attributable to him…Saka and Martinelli were here before he arrived, and the latter is being held back by Arteta by starving him of service).

Either watch the games or don’t, but don’t claim to know what’s going on if you don’t

I know as much about managing a football club as you do. Nothing at all. But now we're just getting silly because it seems like you are saying Saka and Martinelli should be running the place and Arteta should be out for holding them back? Well, there's nowhere to go when trying to dispute something so far off the rails. Okay, Arteta out and the first hint at a title challenge in decades is a clear indicator of decline. You made your point and I accept it and am moving on.

HCZ_Reborn
17-08-2023, 03:22 PM
I know as much about managing a football club as you do. Nothing at all. But now we're just getting silly because it seems like you are saying Saka and Martinelli should be running the place and Arteta should be out for holding them back? Well, there's nowhere to go when trying to dispute something so far off the rails. Okay, Arteta out and the first hint at a title challenge in decades is a clear indicator of decline. You made your point and I accept it and am moving on.

No I’m saying the factors that are responsible for us mounting a title challenge are not those which have been brought about by Arteta. Am I meant to give him credit for actually playing Saka and Martinelli, I suppose maybe I should because the guy is such a complete maniac it’s not something I would put past him to drop them both, like with playing Zinchenko when Tierney is clearly our best full back.

We finished 2nd despite Arteta, and it’s possible that we might have won if not for him. This team is not going to finish 2nd and I doubt will finish top 4. The only crumb of comfort I can take from that is Arteta will be gone. If somehow the most unlikeliest thing occurs and we finish as champions, I will recant what I’ve said maybe I’ll become a believer because believing in miracles is essentially making the absurdly impossible possible.

Niall_Quinn
17-08-2023, 05:28 PM
No I’m saying the factors that are responsible for us mounting a title challenge are not those which have been brought about by Arteta. Am I meant to give him credit for actually playing Saka and Martinelli, I suppose maybe I should because the guy is such a complete maniac it’s not something I would put past him to drop them both, like with playing Zinchenko when Tierney is clearly our best full back.

We finished 2nd despite Arteta, and it’s possible that we might have won if not for him. This team is not going to finish 2nd and I doubt will finish top 4. The only crumb of comfort I can take from that is Arteta will be gone. If somehow the most unlikeliest thing occurs and we finish as champions, I will recant what I’ve said maybe I’ll become a believer because believing in miracles is essentially making the absurdly impossible possible.

You've got ADS and TDS. I used to have WDS but I got over it.

And why would you recant anything if they win the title? Same argument you are making now would still apply, wouldn't it? They won it despite Arteta?

Mac76
17-08-2023, 05:37 PM
You've got ADS and TDS. I used to have WDS but I got over it.

And why would you recant anything if they win the title? Same argument you are making now would still apply, wouldn't it? They won it despite Arteta?

This must feel like arguing with yourself in a mirror

Niall_Quinn
17-08-2023, 06:15 PM

Well you're here, aren't you?

HCZ_Reborn
17-08-2023, 06:19 PM

I actually don’t mind people saying my opinions on Arteta are bollocks, they are out there…I’m frustrated because when it’s clear we can actually spend money now, it’s not being spent well. But when someone says I don’t watch us play but I know you’re wrong…I just think GTFO. ADS is probably not far wrong to be honest, guy does drive me up the wall.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
23-08-2023, 07:04 AM
Our silly transfer Tsars are at it again.

It seems we have agreed to sell Balogun to Chelsea for £50m.... for any other club that would be acceptable but for Chelsea the the least the idiots could have done is recoup the £65m on the EPL
failure that is Havertz.

It so easy, Chelsea is desperate for a striker and none are available, were we desperate for Havertz who ticks no boxes? Man the way we do things is annoying.

Letters
23-08-2023, 07:57 AM
But when someone says I don’t watch us play but I know you’re wrong…I just think GTFO.
If you're referring to me, the word in bold is a straw man.

HCZ_Reborn
23-08-2023, 08:01 AM
If you're referring to me, the word in bold is a straw man.

No that’s just paranoia on your part, I was referring to NQ

Letters
23-08-2023, 08:13 AM
No that’s just paranoia on your part, I was referring to NQ

:lol:

Fair enough. NQ's gotta NQ...

HCZ_Reborn
23-08-2023, 09:10 AM

It seems we have agreed to sell Balogun to Chelsea for £50m.... for any other club that would be acceptable but for Chelsea the the least the idiots could have done is recoup the £65m on the EPL
failure that is Havertz.

It so easy, Chelsea is desperate for a striker and none are available, were we desperate for Havertz who ticks no boxes? Man the way we do things is annoying.

Not seen anything remotely suggesting this, understanding I have is that Chelsea have offered 45 million and we are telling them 70 minimum. And that if we do sell Balogun for 50million it will be to Monaco

Marc Overmars
23-08-2023, 09:25 AM
I think we’ll probably sell to Monaco unless Chelsea offer something silly. Trouble is clubs in Europe are broke so I’m not surprised it’s been a struggle to find buyers for our surplus players.

Mac76
23-08-2023, 09:29 AM
I think we’ll probably sell to Monaco unless Chelsea offer something silly. Trouble is clubs in Europe are broke so I’m not surprised it’s been a struggle to find buyers for our surplus players.

If Arteta thinks Balogun's not worth keeping why won't he sell him to another PL club - it can't be because he doesn't want to get shown up when Balogun does really well can it...? :shrug:

Marc Overmars
23-08-2023, 09:32 AM
If Arteta thinks Balogun's not worth keeping why won't he sell him to another PL club - it can't be because he doesn't want to get shown up when Balogun does really well can it...? :shrug:

Oh I think we would sell him to them but it would rightly have to be for an inflated premium.

HCZ_Reborn
23-08-2023, 09:56 AM

It’s because Balogun doesn’t want to stay unless he’s first choice and I don’t think someone on the strength of one season in French football gets to be first choice, and probably the more stark realisation that we need to sell someone and he’s the most likely player to fetch money.

I don’t think we should sell him to Chelsea in any event. Well maybe for 90 million

21_GOONER_SALUTE
23-08-2023, 12:30 PM

failure that is Havertz.

I've been looking for this post all morning..didn't know I posted it in the wrong place :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
23-08-2023, 12:39 PM
I suspect that with the players we are looking to sell they will go mainly out at the last minute on loan deals with obligations to buy next year. I don’t see us spending much in the near future (by near future I mean next 2-3 years, certainly not at the level we have been anyway). See us being linked with the Irish lad at Brighton as a striker next summer….no idea how good he is really. Real transfer coup would be nicking their chief scout off them