PDA

View Full Version : The Arsenal v Man Siteh, Sunday 8 October 2023

Mac76
07-10-2023, 01:16 PM
OK, let's get on with it

Saka is a doubt and while we could in theory on our day make a good game of it, I expect Arteta and / or VAR will contrive to mess it up for us

0-6 Haaland double hatter

HCZ_Reborn
07-10-2023, 01:18 PM
The one thing Arteta needs to get right is to start both Rice and Partey. That’s a non negotiable

Marc Overmars
07-10-2023, 01:26 PM
Beaten home and away for 6 seasons straight.

Also, City haven’t lost back to back PL games for 4 years.

In short: Us. :rose:

HCZ_Reborn
07-10-2023, 02:54 PM
I don’t know what to expect, I’d be happier if Martinelli was fit because his pace but I’m hoping we start Trossard instead

No Rodri and Stones gives us a good chance against their defence, but we have to be able to make chances and take them

Shame Timber is injured as he was excellent when we played them in the community shield.

White worries me, against most sides at home he is good at the attacking overlap with Saka but he can’t hack a pacey winger

Rice is really going to need to help him out there

Letters
07-10-2023, 06:06 PM
but we have to be able to make chances and take them

:haha:

HCZ_Reborn
07-10-2023, 06:16 PM

Am I missing something ?

21_GOONER_SALUTE
07-10-2023, 06:40 PM
The one thing Arteta needs to get right is to start both Rice and Partey. That’s a non negotiable

Seeing as its the only thing that has worked before and you've had the gall, to tell him to do errr.... the "only thing that has worked before".... he's definitely not going to play both of them now :wwf:

Letters
07-10-2023, 06:46 PM
Am I missing something ?

Usually.

I’m laughing at the idea we might actually be able to make and take chances.
Not our forte so far

HCZ_Reborn
07-10-2023, 06:48 PM
Usually.

Not our forte so far

Oh

Kind of why I said it

Mac76
08-10-2023, 07:07 AM
Usually.

Not our forte so far

we have scored goals, our problem at home is more a defensive one as unlike when we play away we haven't kept a clean sheet yet and are very unlikely to do so today

I thought you were laughing at how obvious a statememt it was, kind of like saying we will only win if we score a goal or two

I also hear the Pope is Catholic...

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 07:39 AM
Well that’s what I thought he was laughing at. And yes it was an obvious statement, but I felt the need to say it because of the lack of both chance creation and finesse.

9 in 4 league games isn’t terrible, but when you take away the penalties and own goals it’s only six. Which considering how high we press doesn’t seem like we are terribly efficient either at creating chances or putting them away. Havertz has been a big reason for this, seems to take too long to decide what he wants to do with the ball and then ends up doing nothing. There’s also very little understanding between him and Martinelli, so the latter was being isolated.

Also I’m sorry to say it but Rice, not quick and not technical…therefore you lose an efficient method of transitioning from defence to attack, so we are reliant on the high press of the attacking quintet rather than playing out from the back. And we are often left with sideways passing in front of eleven players.

The failure to acknowledge this amongst Arsenal fans, I just find it highly quizzical. I don’t know whether it’s because we’ve paid a lot of money for him or because despite his limitations he has played well and worked hard. It’s not even a criticism of him, it’s like saying that I’m not a grand chess master is a self-criticism rather than a statement of fact.

Marc Overmars
08-10-2023, 10:41 AM
Draw at best for this really.

The problem is that even if City have an off day, they’re still quite likely to get a result. If we have an off day it will be a comprehensive defeat. To a man we need to be firing on all cylinders to even have a sniff of winning.

Then you’ve got the mental block aspect of it too. 12 defeats in a row is rotten and I don’t really think the Community Shield win would have done much to alleviate those fears.

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 10:48 AM
Draw at best for this really.

The problem is that even if City have an off day, they’re still quite likely to get a result. If we have an off day it will be a comprehensive defeat. To a man we need to be firing on all cylinders to even have a sniff of winning.

Then you’ve got the mental block aspect of it too. 12 defeats in a row is rotten and I don’t really think the Community Shield win would have done much to alleviate those fears.

We don’t have the excuse of injuries, apparently even Martinelli should make the squad and is pushing for a start

Therefore the only player we have out is Timber. Last season we didn’t have Partey for the home game and didn’t have Saliba for the away game. Don’t get me wrong not saying we’d have definitely got a result if those players were available but ultimately I don’t think there’s anything to say we don’t have the players available to get a result.

We could lose, but we also should be mindful that it’s not just our biggest game of the season so far, it’s theirs. Despite the awful record coming to the Emirates will be one of the hardest fixtures on their calendar. I think our centre backs are better than theirs, their strikers are better than ours. With no De Bruyne and no Rodri I think we are pretty even in midfield.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 02:34 PM
Arsenal: Raya, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Rice, Jorginho, Odegaard, Trossard, Jesus, Nketiah.
Subs: Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Kiwior, Partey, Smith Rowe, Vieira, Nelson, Martinelli, Havertz.

Citeh: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Gvardiol, Ake; Lewis, Kovacic, Alvarez; Foden, Haaland, Bernardo
Subs: Ortega, Phillips, Stones, Grealish, Doku, Gomez, Akanji, Nunez, Bobb

Mac76
08-10-2023, 02:34 PM
Just seen the lineup, no Saka, not even on the bench - well done Arteta :clap:

Jorg and Trossard start

Raya, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Rice, Jorginho, Odegaard, Trossard, Jesus, Nketiah. Subs: Ramsdale, Kiwior, Tomiyasu, Partey, Smith Rowe, Vieira, Nelson, Havertz, Martinelli.

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 02:35 PM
Well despite what I said above, that’s 13 defeats in a row

Directly and indirectly caused by Arteta

Directly - playing Jorginho when he has Partey available

Indirectly - Running Saka into the ground, so we have to play Jesus on the right

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 03:31 PM
Come on Arsenal. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 03:36 PM
Rice clears off the line!

Ake should score!

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 03:49 PM
Raya is having a mare.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 03:58 PM
Not even close from Nketiah.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 04:00 PM
Nasty one from Kovacic.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 04:19 PM
0-0 HT.

Shocking game I think.

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 04:31 PM
Started very badly. Raya playing like he’s had a seizure

Midfielders unsettled by the lack of time they had on the ball

The lack of pace we have means we had to slow the game down and we’ve succeeded in that. That thug Kovacic probably should have seen red for the first challenge, and despite being on thin ice was allowed to get away with another that should have been a second yellow.

Nothing much from us in an attacking sense

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 04:35 PM
Coming out to Edge's theme music.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 04:36 PM
Trossard off for Martinelli.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 04:58 PM
Kovacic, Lewis and Alvarez off for Nunes, Stones and Doku.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 05:05 PM
Nketiah, Zinchenko and Jorginho off, Havertz, Tomiyasu and Partey on.

Marc Overmars
08-10-2023, 05:14 PM
Scruffy game. Don’t think we’re going to take any risks now. Which is fair enough given our record against them.

Marc Overmars
08-10-2023, 05:16 PM
MARTINELLI!!!!!

Deflected in but fuck it!

COME ON!!

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 05:17 PM
MARTINELLI!!!1

21_GOONER_SALUTE
08-10-2023, 05:18 PM
To think some people still winder if Partey should be in this team.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 05:22 PM
Havertz assist. :bow:

Man City destroyer.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 05:23 PM
Why does Drury say Aderson?

Marc Overmars
08-10-2023, 05:24 PM
FT 1-0

We’ve finally beaten them!!! :faint:

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 05:25 PM
We've fucking beaten Man City!!!!

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2023, 05:25 PM
NOBODY beats Arsenal 13 times in a row in the league.

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 05:26 PM
Come the Fuck on!!!!!!!!!!

Massive, Massive!!!!

Marc Overmars
08-10-2023, 05:27 PM
I wish we would defend like that at home more often.

Nothing wrong with a bit of pragmatism.

Letters
08-10-2023, 05:33 PM
Holy shit!

:patrice:

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 05:36 PM
I wish we would defend like that at home more often.

Nothing wrong with a bit of pragmatism.

Our defence is excellent but even Gabriel and Saliba can’t deal with the amount of space we leave usually in games.

We don’t have the balance right, don’t get me wrong against city chances are always going to be at a premium but against most sides we have decided that we aren’t going to create enough chances to put away teams without playing a high line. This is why I’ve been howling for us playing inverted full backs and not having a pace merchant who can take the ball from deep.

That said, I give Credit where it’s due. Arteta got it right today…he took the sting out of City and then brought on players to try and win the game near the end. That was spot on.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
08-10-2023, 05:37 PM
NOBODY beats Arsenal 13 times in a row in the league.

LDG
08-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Rice was phenomenal today

Mac76
08-10-2023, 05:44 PM
Really gritty game, they were bossing us for the first 10 mins or so but we fought our way back into it

Fucking brilliant win :scarf:

PS dear Mikel - see? You don't need to play
Saka in every game

Mac76
08-10-2023, 05:45 PM
Rice was phenomenal today

:gp:

Marc Overmars
08-10-2023, 05:52 PM
Our defence is excellent but even Gabriel and Saliba can’t deal with the amount of space we leave usually in games.

We don’t have the balance right, don’t get me wrong against city chances are always going to be at a premium but against most sides we have decided that we aren’t going to create enough chances to put away teams without playing a high line. This is why I’ve been howling for us playing inverted full backs and not having a pace merchant who can take the ball from deep.

That said, I give Credit where it’s due. Arteta got it right today…he took the sting out of City and then brought on players to try and win the game near the end. That was spot on.

The strength of this team lies within the defence, it’s just missing the ability to counter attack effectively which would make us very good and potential title winners. We’re not an easy team to beat anymore though and that’s great to see.

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 06:00 PM
The strength of this team lies within the defence, it’s just missing the ability to counter attack effectively which would make us very good and potential title winners. We’re not an easy team to beat anymore though and that’s great to see.

Oh definitely without doubt, that’s why we’ve also kept three clean sheets away from home and kept 11 I think it was last season.

I’m going to keep quiet on Rice because it doesn’t feel fair to dig him out when he was I agree excellent today. But we need someone next to him the carry the ball forward quicker. Takes the pressure off him to be both defensive midfielder and the one who gets things going in attack.

Letters
08-10-2023, 06:06 PM
PS dear Mikel - see? You don't need to play
Saka in every game
I would still rather have had him today rather than in the CL game.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
08-10-2023, 06:08 PM

I agree.. I mean the partnership between the 2 CBs is probably the best we've had since early AW and with White and a fit Timber, we would be a fortress. Lets not forget that Rice started of as a CB so adding him to the mix really makes us look impenetrable.

But I also do agree with HCZ and you that the inability of the fullbacks to really get us countering is a real downer and something we really need to work on. Also it's clear Raya is not an upgrade to Ramsdale when it comes to actually making saves, so thats another self created headache we've made for ourselves.

I am quite happy that Arteta started with 2 DMs but currently IMO only a fit and on form Partey helps deal with a lot of the inadequacies caused by the poor attacking nous of our current fullbacks.

However if we'd signed players like Kudus and others we should've signed to fill that Xhaka role, it could have been a really really special season.

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 06:16 PM

Well yes, in fairness to Mac and there’s absolutely no need for me to be so

I think the point he’s making is more, well you had to do without him today and still won. So you should be able to not play him in games like Bournemouth and Lens, so that he is available for games like today

mandela8
08-10-2023, 06:16 PM
That's the difference Saka makes.

Have never beaten City in the league with him.

Ease to victory over City in the league without him.

<sips tea>

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 06:18 PM
I agree.. I mean the partnership between the 2 CBs is probably the best we've had since early AW and with White and a fit Timber, we would be a fortress. Lets not forget that Rice started of as a CB so adding him to the mix really makes us look impenetrable.

But I also do agree with HCZ and you that the inability of the fullbacks to really get us countering is a real downer and something we really need to work on. Also it's clear Raya is not an upgrade to Ramsdale when it comes to actually making saves, so thats another self created headache we've made for ourselves.

I am quite happy that Arteta started with 2 DMs but currently IMO only a fit and on form Partey helps deal with a lot of the inadequacies caused by the poor attacking nous of our current fullbacks.

However if we'd signed players like Kudus and others we should've signed to fill that Xhaka role, it could have been a really really special season.

You’ve got a bit of a thing for that Kudus don’t you?

Not knocking it…I’m as open minded as the next guy

Seriously though. I don’t really have an opinion on him…not really seen him play.

We have been looking at Take Kubo as cover for Saka…hes like Mitoma (and not just because he’s Japanese) on the right hand side.

Mac76
08-10-2023, 06:21 PM

Which was my point, he needs to be more selective as to when he uses him

Letters
08-10-2023, 06:55 PM
That's the difference Saka makes.

Have never beaten City in the league with him.

Ease to victory over City in the league without him.

<sips tea>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egBGU8rz5JY

Letters
08-10-2023, 06:57 PM
Which was my point, he needs to be more selective as to when he uses him

:good:

Arteta ran him into the ground, it was pretty stupid when he clearly needed a rest.

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 06:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egBGU8rz5JY

https://media.tenor.com/ztniusMikMoAAAAC/mad-max-fury-road-thats-bait-meme.gif

I prefer this one

Marc Overmars
08-10-2023, 07:02 PM
:good:

Arteta ran him into the ground, it was pretty stupid when he clearly needed a rest.

I reckon if there wasn’t an international break, Saka may have been involved today. Arteta couldn’t play him and then expect Southgate to not use him. At least now he’s hopefully withdrawn from the England squad.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
08-10-2023, 07:10 PM
You’ve got a bit of a thing for that Kudus don’t you?

Not knocking it…I’m as open minded as the next guy

Seriously though. I don’t really have an opinion on him…not really seen him play.

We have been looking at Take Kubo as cover for Saka…hes like Mitoma (and not just because he’s Japanese) on the right hand side.

Funnily I've not watched him for a second since he joined West Ham, but I do hear his few cameos have gone down well with their fans.

Its the kind of player he represents that I've got more of a thing for i.e. skill,strength & directness; that kind of mix would be the perfect upgrade in that Xhaka role and the missing rib in our attack.

Anyway, lets see what happens in January, hopefully we get things right in the transfer market then.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
08-10-2023, 07:20 PM
BTW did anyone else notice Haaland having a spat with someone at the end of the game?

It wasn't clear who it was on my stream.

HCZ_Reborn
08-10-2023, 07:32 PM
BTW did anyone else notice Haaland having a spat with someone at the end of the game?

It wasn't clear who it was on my stream.

By the look of it, seems to be members of Arsenal coaching staff but couldn’t tell you exactly who

LDG
08-10-2023, 08:20 PM
By the look of it, seems to be members of Arsenal coaching staff but couldn’t tell you exactly who

Set piece coach. Obviously WUM’d Kyle Walker….

Letters
09-10-2023, 06:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plICFx-YmDw

:handbags:

HCZ_Reborn
09-10-2023, 07:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plICFx-YmDw

:handbags:

Yep Handbags is exactly how I’d describe it too

Our guy was giving them a bit of stick and they didn’t like it. No harm done

Mac76
09-10-2023, 09:23 AM
I reckon if there wasn’t an international break, Saka may have been involved today. Arteta couldn’t play him and then expect Southgate to not use him. At least now he’s hopefully withdrawn from the England squad.

Definitely

HCZ_Reborn
09-10-2023, 10:18 AM
Definitely

Yeah I think there’s probably something in that, I guess whilst this is not the game I’d have wanted him to be rested in….he clearly needs a rest and not featuring for England will be beneficial for him and for us.

The Wengerbabies
09-10-2023, 05:19 PM
Good win.

Tomiyasu to start upfront next game.

Mac76
10-10-2023, 09:01 AM
Good win.

Tomiyasu to start upfront next game.

I'm in :good: