PDA

View Full Version : General Football Nonsense

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22

Mac76
31-07-2022, 06:38 PM
:clap: Grear result and great goal cele-bra-tion ;)

Letters
31-07-2022, 06:39 PM
We just needed it to rain to turn it into a wet T-Shirt contest.
Other than that, all went as well it could have.

Sweet Caroline, Bah, Bah, Bah!

HCZ_Reborn
31-07-2022, 06:39 PM
Congratulations to those plucky lesbians

GP
31-07-2022, 06:43 PM
What time is the foxy boxing?

HCZ_Reborn
31-07-2022, 07:00 PM
I’m more invested in this than I was in the Community Shield.
I had literally no idea that was happening till a mate mentioned it yesterday.
It’s not the same as the men’s game but why would it be? Aside from the obvious physical differences, the women’s game was all but banned for 60 years.
It isn’t coming home whatever the result today but I hope we win.

0-0 at HT, hasn’t been that great so far.

No but when I say I have zero interest in the womens game it’s more than just crude chauvinism (Although crude chauvinism is hilarious)

I have the physical coordination of a drunk and the athleticism of Jo Brand so all these girls would play me off the park without breaking a sweat. But just like I have no interest in limited overs cricket, I have no interest in a game which is less skillful, slower, and less aggressive than the mens game.

It’s not a bad thing that the womens game has grown exponentially even from where it was ten years ago. And there is a genuine burgeoning fan base even at club level, but I don’t see myself ever getting beyond polite disinterest.

And I hope that society permits me my sexism

Although a country where the emerging zeitgeist is that those with schlongs can call themselves women, it doesn’t appear that misogyny is something the woke brigade cares too much about.

Mac76
31-07-2022, 07:39 PM
No but when I say I have zero interest in the womens game it’s more than just crude chauvinism (Although crude chauvinism is hilarious)

I have the physical coordination of a drunk and the athleticism of Jo Brand so all these girls would play me off the park without breaking a sweat. But just like I have no interest in limited overs cricket, I have no interest in a game which is less skillful, slower, and less aggressive than the mens game.

It’s not a bad thing that the womens game has grown exponentially even from where it was ten years ago. And there is a genuine burgeoning fan base even at club level, but I don’t see myself ever getting beyond polite disinterest.

And I hope that society permits me my sexism

Although a country where the emerging zeitgeist is that those with schlongs can call themselves women, it doesn’t appear that misogyny is something the woke brigade cares too much about.

Blah blah woke blah

Whaddever, you missed a fun game and a good win, your loss not ours

HCZ_Reborn
31-07-2022, 07:53 PM
Blah blah woke blah

Whaddever, you missed a fun game and a good win, your loss not ours

Even in this heat I’m not going to lose any sleep over it

Mac76
31-07-2022, 08:00 PM
Oh and...

England men's team :pal:

IBK
02-08-2022, 10:35 AM
Watched the womens Euro Final with the girlfriend who was suddenly all over it having previously been as disinterested in football as its possible to be. For me it was a lot more entertaining than many of the attritional mens games I watch. Going back to Letters' point - most games (whether womens' or mens) can be exciting when you are invested in the result. Well done Lionesses!

I am invisible
02-08-2022, 12:32 PM
Nice to be able to support the national team for once without all the tribal bullshit of club football getting in the way and hoping the captain catches a flare in his stupid open mouth.

Mac76
02-08-2022, 01:33 PM
Nice to be able to support the national team for once without all the tribal bullshit of club football getting in the way and hoping the captain catches a flare in his stupid open mouth.

:lol: so true, that's affected my attitude towards England men's for many years, i agree club issues weren't as big a thing with the women's

but it was good that both the team captain and player of the torunament are Arsenal players are ours though :)

HCZ_Reborn
02-08-2022, 02:21 PM
I will never care about England the same way I care about Arsenal it will just never happen

And by the same token I just can’t get myself to care about the ladies sport, The Lionesses, Emma Raducanu, Jessica Ennis…best of luck to you but there’s more chance of me getting into Love Island.

Globalgunner
02-08-2022, 07:44 PM
In this moment of national celebration, we should take a moment to think of Phil Neville. Lousy player, useless coach. New coach brought it home literally in her first big competition. Sheesh!

Niall_Quinn
02-08-2022, 08:02 PM
Watched the womens Euro Final with the girlfriend who was suddenly all over it having previously been as disinterested in football as its possible to be. For me it was a lot more entertaining than many of the attritional mens games I watch. Going back to Letters' point - most games (whether womens' or mens) can be exciting when you are invested in the result. Well done Lionesses!

To be fair, I've been in pubs with footie virgins who suddenly became interested because zeitgeist demanded it. I doubt they ever watched a dreary domestic game thereafter. There's always a spike of interest when the marketing men get to work. As for the actual achievement, well any time somebody strives to be the best at what they do it deserves congratulations when they achieve it. So I'm all for the individuals who prevailed, but I (of course) despise the lesbian cunts (mostly male) who want to make a big political statement about it. Politics and sport are incompatible, if you use the non-cuntish definition of the word sport.

Niall_Quinn
02-08-2022, 08:06 PM
I will never care about England the same way I care about Arsenal it will just never happen

And by the same token I just can’t get myself to care about the ladies sport, The Lionesses, Emma Raducanu, Jessica Ennis…best of luck to you but there’s more chance of me getting into Love Island.

And I will never care about herpes the same way I care about gonorrhea, but I'm not sure what that means in the real world beyond the modern "sport" called football.

GP
03-08-2022, 12:26 PM
https://i.imgur.com/x9HU2da.jpg

The Wengerbabies
04-08-2022, 12:12 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12664693/premier-league-players-will-limit-taking-a-knee-before-matches-league-announces-ahead-of-new-season

About time they stopped this virtue signalling nonsense.

Mac76
04-08-2022, 12:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/x9HU2da.jpg

:haha:

Letters
12-08-2022, 07:36 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62479222

Scottish football :haha:

GP
12-08-2022, 02:18 PM
Scotch people :haha:

Letters
25-08-2022, 10:09 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62659383

Yawn. Here we go.
Cheat mode: Activated

Letters
31-08-2022, 10:00 AM
https://i.ibb.co/MPqnt0Y/richarliason.jpg

Shaqiri Is Boss
31-08-2022, 10:05 AM

Letters
31-08-2022, 02:49 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62645830

An innocent man :bow:

Well, possibly.

Mac76
01-09-2022, 10:14 AM
Moan U sign Antony for £82m

let's hope he's another total flop

Globalgunner
01-09-2022, 12:30 PM
Moan U sign Antony for £82m

let's hope he's another total flop

Plenty of Clepatra`s hanging around Manchester to mess his life up. Hopefully they remain mediocre at least till after we play them

Mac76
01-09-2022, 02:42 PM
Auba to Chelsea confirmed - Alonso going to Barca in return

I am invisible
03-09-2022, 07:17 AM
Conte sulking about his window :lol:

Poor Antonio - looks like he’s just going to have to muddle through with what he has at plucky underdogs spurs.

LDG
03-09-2022, 01:09 PM
If you fancy a laugh watch the highlights of the Glasgeee derby. Comedy goalkeeping from the Rangers.

mandela8
03-09-2022, 04:33 PM
If you fancy a laugh watch the highlights of the Glasgeee derby. Comedy goalkeeping from the Rangers.

It's pronounced Glesga, man.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-09-2022, 09:14 AM
Tuchel sacked!

Marc Overmars
07-09-2022, 09:17 AM
Wow. :haha:

Guess the new owner wanted to continue from where Abramovich left off.

I bet Tuchel didn’t want half of the signings they made this summer, it was just the owner going on a mad one.

Letters
07-09-2022, 09:48 AM
Tuchel's reunion with Auba :pal:

HCZ_Reborn
07-09-2022, 09:49 AM
Whoever authorised almost 130 million spent on Cucurella and Fofana deserves to be gelded

Still though no sympathy, acting like a dick head on the touchline against Spurs

Pochettino??

Marc Overmars
07-09-2022, 09:58 AM
They want Graham Potter.

HCZ_Reborn
07-09-2022, 10:00 AM
They want Graham Potter.

That would be a good pick

ESPN have stated Potter along with Poch and Zidane

Zidane would be a horrible choice, most of the players who work with him despise him…so obviously I’m hoping it is him.

IBK
07-09-2022, 10:20 AM
Tuchel's reunion with Auba :pal:

:pal:

Marc Overmars
07-09-2022, 11:29 AM
Brighton have given them permission to talk to Potter, so it seems like this one is likely.

GP
07-09-2022, 11:45 AM
Sean Dyche is available.

dazthegooner
07-09-2022, 11:49 AM
Sean Dyche is available.

They’d never get him.

dostoy
07-09-2022, 01:31 PM
Who would you rather have in charge, Arteta or Tuchel ?

Surely its Tuchel by a mile.

Arsenal missed out on Conte and now they will miss out on Tuchel.

18 years and counting.

How long is it since they last played in the CL ?

Xhaka Can’t
07-09-2022, 02:02 PM

18 years and counting.

Do you mean ‘played’ or ‘appeared’?

IBK
07-09-2022, 03:11 PM

18 years and counting.

Tuchel. Really? So you would swap a coach who has pretty successfully addressed the cultural malaise at Arsenal and built a young team with their prime years in front of them. In other words put in all of the building blocks that are essential for the long term progress of the club, not to mention obviously improving us on the pitch - for a coach who has spent gazillions on big name players who have underwhelmed over the past couple of seasons and ended up in a tire fire.

The fact that Graham Potter is a strong contender for their next manager; together with the choice of Ten Hag for Manure and Eddie Howe at Newcastle shows you the type of young, hungry and tactically astute managers who are now favoured by even the richest clubs. And Arteta is once of these. I guarantee you that many other clubs will be envious of the hard transition that we have already made for a more solid future - Spurs being one of them. Conte ain't going to build for their future so what next for them when he leaves? They will be in the same position that we were.

Letters
07-09-2022, 03:52 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62820169

£400k :dance:

mandela8
07-09-2022, 04:23 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62820169

£400k :dance:

Surely FFP has been compromised here.

HCZ_Reborn
07-09-2022, 04:55 PM
Tuchel. Really? So you would swap a coach who has pretty successfully addressed the cultural malaise at Arsenal and built a young team with their prime years in front of them. In other words put in all of the building blocks that are essential for the long term progress of the club, not to mention obviously improving us on the pitch - for a coach who has spent gazillions on big name players who have underwhelmed over the past couple of seasons and ended up in a tire fire.

The fact that Graham Potter is a strong contender for their next manager; together with the choice of Ten Hag for Manure and Eddie Howe at Newcastle shows you the type of young, hungry and tactically astute managers who are now favoured by even the richest clubs. And Arteta is once of these. I guarantee you that many other clubs will be envious of the hard transition that we have already made for a more solid future - Spurs being one of them. Conte ain't going to build for their future so what next for them when he leaves? They will be in the same position that we were.

I would choose neither myself, I don’t accept that Arteta has done anything like sorting the cultural malaise I think all he’s proven is his ability to fall out with people. And indeed nothing I saw in All or Nothing gave me any sense of the players having any warmth for the coach.
I think Tuchel being sacked and replaced with Graham Potter replacing him is very bad news for us indeed and in fact potentially snuffs out any chance of us finishing top four.

IBK
07-09-2022, 07:32 PM
I would choose neither myself, I don’t accept that Arteta has done anything like sorting the cultural malaise I think all he’s proven is his ability to fall out with people. And indeed nothing I saw in All or Nothing gave me any sense of the players having any warmth for the coach.
I think Tuchel being sacked and replaced with Graham Potter replacing him is very bad news for us indeed and in fact potentially snuffs out any chance of us finishing top four.

Wonder if you polled 100 fans of other EPL teams Arteta or Potter would come out on top in a choice between the 2. My money would be on Arteta...

Mac76
07-09-2022, 10:31 PM
Tuchel sacked!

:haha: :haha:

Mac76
07-09-2022, 10:33 PM
I hope Chelsea sign Ponce - that moaning overrated twat is just the person to make sure they continue underperforming

HCZ_Reborn
08-09-2022, 10:33 AM
Wonder if you polled 100 fans of other EPL teams Arteta or Potter would come out on top in a choice between the 2. My money would be on Arteta...

Which would prove what exactly? To my mind it would prove that football fans aren’t very bright

I’d say Potter has done ten times the job Arteta has done at Arsenal given the respective size of the clubs

Mac76
08-09-2022, 10:59 AM
Which would prove what exactly? To my mind it would prove that football fans aren’t very bright

I’d say Potter has done ten times the job Arteta has done at Arsenal given the respective size of the clubs

correct

IBK
08-09-2022, 12:23 PM

It would give an objective view of the job Arteta is doing. I find that canvassing the opinions of other football fans is often useful to put my views about Arsenal in context. So many Gooners are understandably prone to criticism/pessimism as the rsult of our fall from the top table being in (relatively) recent memory, and expectations based on remebering our heyday. Speaking to other fans can present a counterbalance to this.

Mac76
08-09-2022, 01:28 PM
It would give an objective view of the job Arteta is doing. I find that canvassing the opinions of other football fans is often useful to put my views about Arsenal in context. So many Gooners are understandably prone to criticism/pessimism as the rsult of our fall from the top table being in (relatively) recent memory, and expectations based on remebering our heyday. Speaking to other fans can present a counterbalance to this.

but the point is that you HAVEN'T canvassed other fans so you don't even know if your assumption is correct.

i suspect a lot of other teams' fans can see through Arteta, know our position flatters us and think Potter is the better bet, though equally I can't prove it either

IBK
09-09-2022, 09:39 AM
but the point is that you HAVEN'T canvassed other fans so you don't even know if your assumption is correct.

i suspect a lot of other teams' fans can see through Arteta, know our position flatters us and think Potter is the better bet, though equally I can't prove it either

Of course I haven't/and don't know if my assumption is correct - which is why my question was conjecture (although my non-Arsenal supporting friends are almost all of the opinion that he is doing a good job). As you say, we are both expressing opinions...and it remains to be seen whether Potter is the better manager.

Marc Overmars
09-09-2022, 10:37 AM
All football postponed this weekend. :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
09-09-2022, 10:41 AM
I suspect that’s far more to do with the practical measure of actually policing both football matches and Op London Bridge stuff than about national period of mourning.

Letters
09-09-2022, 11:11 AM
I was amused when I saw earlier that they said they'd make the decision after a "review of the official mourning guidance" :lol:

mandela8
09-09-2022, 11:33 AM
Genuinely fuckin pathetic.

These idiots should be fuckin ashamed of themselves, ffs.

HCZ_Reborn
09-09-2022, 11:36 AM
Maybe like you, they lack the capacity

Mac76
09-09-2022, 12:05 PM
ok cancelling our beautiful game is a step too far - down with the monarchy :sulk:

Mac76
09-09-2022, 12:11 PM
I was amused when I saw earlier that they said they'd make the decision after a "review of the official mourning guidance" :lol:

the guidance says "There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues
during the National Mourning period. "

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1103626/The_demise_of_Her_Majesty_Queen_Elizabeth_II-_National_Mourning_Guidance__1_.pdf

HCZ_Reborn
09-09-2022, 12:23 PM
On the face of it, there’s absolutely no need to cancel the fixture list. There’s no precedent for it

From a logistical stand point it simply would be pandemonium on already overly stretched police forces

Xhaka Can’t
09-09-2022, 12:26 PM
In London, yes.

But the whole country?

HCZ_Reborn
09-09-2022, 12:32 PM
In London, yes.

But the whole country?

Every single metropolitan area, and town is going to hold public memorial services, there will be places left for people to leave flowers etc.
Apart from anything else, such moments are ripe for any potential terrorist attack….so you need people screening for unattended packages as well as public order officers for anyone who gets a bit pissed and silly at this time.
Every single person who works in a public office from local town council has been briefed on London Bridge long in advance of it happening.

Mac76
10-09-2022, 08:22 AM
Every single metropolitan area, and town is going to hold public memorial services, there will be places left for people to leave flowers etc.
Apart from anything else, such moments are ripe for any potential terrorist attack….so you need people screening for unattended packages as well as public order officers for anyone who gets a bit pissed and silly at this time.
Every single person who works in a public office from local town council has been briefed on London Bridge long in advance of it happening.

This is rubbish, you're saying thousands of police are needed to stand watch over books of condolence? A couple of community officers more like, it's the PL overreacting and spoiling everyone's weekend, that's what it is

HCZ_Reborn
10-09-2022, 08:51 AM
This is rubbish, you're saying thousands of police are needed to stand watch over books of condolence? A couple of community officers more like, it's the PL overreacting and spoiling everyone's weekend, that's what it is

Not just books of condolences, but scaled down ceremonies of the type taking place in london.

Believe me when I say any major policing operation stretches that individual force to breaking force. And London Bridge has been declared the largest joint and individual endeavour in policing to have happened in modern history.

As it is the police can barely cope on a day to day basis

If you’re saying the premier league would have come to this decision anyway, well I won’t argue with that…I think NI deciding unilaterally to suspend games made it so they felt they couldn’t go ahead. The irony is I don’t think anyone but a few grumbling idiots and a lot of Spurs fans would have complained.

But to say policing won’t be stretched is nonsense. And if the funeral is held next weekend…you can bet your boots these fixtures will be called off as well

Letters
12-09-2022, 11:15 AM
Come on, KPR. King's Park Rangers as they will surely now be known :d

HCZ_Reborn
12-09-2022, 12:26 PM
And our match against PSV has been postponed

Letters
12-09-2022, 12:44 PM
It's what she would have wanted.

Xhaka Can’t
12-09-2022, 12:45 PM
Yes, it is a sad thing she died. But I’m fucking beyond sick of all this bullshit and sycophancy.

Letters
12-09-2022, 12:51 PM
:lol: Least you get next Monday off.

dazthegooner
12-09-2022, 12:52 PM
Down to lack of police, so what’s new?

HCZ_Reborn
12-09-2022, 12:55 PM
Yes, it is a sad thing she died. But I’m fucking beyond sick of all this bullshit and sycophancy.

I’ve told people the reason why but they don’t want to accept it

The police aren’t doing themselves any favours presently by arresting Anti Monarchy protesters (what a complete waste of time and a complete contempt shown to freedom of expression)

But the fact remains that nearly every major head of state is going to be arriving in London a few days before the big enchilada, and the police are stretched during ordinary times and with thousands across the country pouring into the capital to make this their own personal “I was there” bit of history. The idea that football matches can go ahead in London is absurd. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole fixture schedule is scrubbed.

Xhaka Can’t
12-09-2022, 12:56 PM
Yeah, a whole fucking day to do fuck all after ten days of fuck all to “show respect”.

Work is a big enough pain in the ass as it is without it all building up even more because ‘protocol’ and ‘respect’.

Bootlicking more like. Please let this fucking nightmare end!

HCZ_Reborn
12-09-2022, 12:57 PM
It's what she would have wanted.

I thought she supported Arsenal? Selfish cow. Had she written in the will that given she has severe doubts she will go on to have an eternal life in spirit form she doubts she will be able to watch Arsenal games, so she wants no one else to see them either. Typical tyrant

Xhaka Can’t
12-09-2022, 12:59 PM
I’ve told people the reason why but they don’t want to accept it

The police aren’t doing themselves any favours presently by arresting Anti Monarchy protesters (what a complete waste of time and a complete contempt shown to freedom of expression)

But the fact remains that nearly every major head of state is going to be arriving in London a few days before the big enchilada, and the police are stretched during ordinary times and with thousands across the country pouring into the capital to make this their own personal “I was there” bit of history. The idea that football matches can go ahead in London is absurd. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole fixture schedule is scrubbed.

It’s four fucking days prior to the funeral. No foreign leader will be here on Thursday.

Or at least swap the fixture around and play it in The Netherlands.

FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!

It’s that bad, I’m fucking watching baseball.

HCZ_Reborn
12-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Yeah, a whole fucking day to do fuck all after ten days of fuck all to “show respect”.

Work is a big enough pain in the ass as it is without it all building up even more because ‘protocol’ and ‘respect’.

Bootlicking more like. Please let this fucking nightmare end!

I’d say take it up with David Cameron and George Osbourne. They are the ones who cut so deeply into the public sector that we still haven’t recovered ten years later. And for what?

HCZ_Reborn
12-09-2022, 01:02 PM
It’s four fucking days prior to the funeral. No foreign leader will be here on Thursday.

Or at least swap the fixture around and play it in The Netherlands.

FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!

No but they’ll be arriving by Saturday and you need to set up coordination points and do searches and security sweeps constantly.

That plus they reckon there will be a 5 mile queue to visit the lying in state.

Letters
12-09-2022, 01:05 PM
Whoa, it is bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMcfzTTKTaQ

Just put on the Invincibles DVD. You'll be fine :hug:

Mac76
12-09-2022, 01:31 PM
And our match against PSV has been postponed

FFS

Marc Overmars
12-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Guess the Brentford game will probably be called off too at this rate?

Then it’s the international break followed by the NLD where some players could have gone a month without playing. Sure that’s going to end well. :lol:

Letters
12-09-2022, 01:38 PM
To be fair it's because of "police limitations", not because we are still all overcome with grief
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62874403

Mac76
12-09-2022, 02:18 PM
Guess the Brentford game will probably be called off too at this rate?

Then it’s the international break followed by the NLD where some players could have gone a month without playing. Sure that’s going to end well. :lol:

yeah the Brentford game's toast

Letters
12-09-2022, 04:56 PM
Hearing that the game this weekend will be on but they’ve moved the kick off.

HCZ_Reborn
12-09-2022, 05:23 PM
Hearing that the game this weekend will be on but they’ve moved the kick off.

Yes it’s been moved from 14:00 to 12:00

In postponements it feels like the premier league is trying to target the most hard to manage fixtures

Man United vs Leeds without proper policing, they’d kick the living shit out of each other. Almost certainly not a bad thing but it’s a bit much to ask accident and emergency departments to cope with the fall out

Ditto Chelsea vs Liverpool

Our match against Brentford in a stadium of 17k capacity is considered easier to handle, as long as it happens earlier in the day (fewer people likely to be pissed at midday)

Mac76
12-09-2022, 06:30 PM
so some games on and some off - we should get an extra free hit chip for this...

Letters
23-09-2022, 08:58 AM
https://www.premierleague.com/news/2797411

Haaland not nominated for player of the month :lol:

The only justification I can think of for that is it's so clearly him there's almost no point in nominating him. Might as well make it a "best of the rest".

HCZ_Reborn
23-09-2022, 11:45 AM
That and it’s completely pointless nominating a player of the month for September given a significant chunk of that months fixture list was scrubbed.

Haaland only scored once that month so by his standards it was a barren period

HCZ_Reborn
10-10-2022, 10:17 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63180793

Can he…..actually read?

dazthegooner
10-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Maybe he will have an earpiece with Southgate reading it for him.

dazthegooner
10-10-2022, 11:23 AM
Will he get a Brucie bonus? https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/12713344/steve-bruce-sacked-as-west-brom-boss

HCZ_Reborn
10-10-2022, 06:10 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63200049

Feel sad for the guy (even though the fucker scored against us)

Had a promising career in front of him. Still though, better than an early grave.

HCZ_Reborn
24-10-2022, 08:25 PM
Good Ebening All

Unai Emery is back in the Premier League

McNamara That Ghost...
24-10-2022, 08:58 PM
Could be really good for Villa.

Right kind of profile where he might do well.

Globalgunner
25-10-2022, 07:56 AM
Could be really good for Villa.

Right kind of profile where he might do well.

They could have gone one better and appointed Pochetino. He may have turned them down however. Delusions of grandeur and all that.

Mac76
25-10-2022, 02:11 PM
Lucky escape if they didn't appoint that Spuds reject Ponce - even Emery's got to be better than him

dazthegooner
25-10-2022, 03:29 PM
Well if you compare trophy’s won I believe Emery has won more.

Globalgunner
25-10-2022, 03:57 PM
Emery is a good manager dont get me wrong, Poch knows this league better than him however and did well even at Saints before joining the Spuds. Hope Emery does well this time, Im not sure even his CV could withstand another calamity at Villa.

Letters
30-10-2022, 07:05 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63354674

Wtf?! :lol:

Mac76
30-10-2022, 08:56 AM

Tyreece John-Jules :bow:

Mac76
30-10-2022, 09:20 AM
Well if you compare trophy’s won I believe Emery has won more.

Yes and I don't really go with the argumemt that Ponce 'knowing the league' is an advantage - he won F-all in the league

HCZ_Reborn
30-10-2022, 11:33 AM

Having watched the highlights you’ll be unsurprised to know that the goals are all a mixture of terrible defending and goalkeeping

GP
30-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Having watched the highlights you’ll be unsurprised to know that the goals are all a mixture of terrible defending and goalkeeping

Before clicking the link I assumed this was going to be women's football.

HCZ_Reborn
30-10-2022, 12:33 PM
Before clicking the link I assumed this was going to be women's football.

Don’t be silly

As if you’d catch me watching women’s football

Letters
30-10-2022, 02:42 PM

Yes. I found some too. Not a high quality game.
Pretty crazy end.

Letters
02-11-2022, 03:50 PM
Ronnie Radford :rose:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63489122

Mac76
02-11-2022, 04:12 PM
That really is some goal - great scenes - RIP

Letters
02-11-2022, 04:52 PM
I'd seen the goal before but must admit I couldn't have told you who scored it.

Xhaka Can’t
02-11-2022, 06:33 PM
I'd seen the goal before but must admit I couldn't have told you who scored it.

It was Ronnie Radford.

But he’s with Pat now.

Mac76
03-11-2022, 01:36 PM
Just in case anyone wants to sign - I doubt it will do any good but hey...

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/make_fifa_pay_61/?kWspTmb

McNamara That Ghost...
07-11-2022, 01:55 PM
Liverpool put up for sale. :blink:

Letters
07-11-2022, 02:03 PM
Shall we have a whip round?

Letters
07-11-2022, 02:03 PM
In other news :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63540624

GHELs :bow:

GP
07-11-2022, 02:08 PM
Shall we have a whip round?

Elon Musk will buy it and fire half the players.

Marc Overmars
07-11-2022, 04:35 PM
Apparently Gabriel has missed out on the Brazil squad.

Jesus and Martinelli are in though. Guessing they won’t see too much game time anyway.

To be honest I was looking through our squad and there really aren’t that many who are first choice starters for their country and the ones that are could possibly be out early. Most of our guys going are just squad players. We should be in good shape post Christmas, no fatigue excuses.

World Cup section?

HCZ_Reborn
07-11-2022, 05:55 PM
Gabriel Magahat was always likely to miss out

But I think a bit odd given it’s defence where you’d argue they are weakest

Letters
07-11-2022, 06:13 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/07/harry-kane-mentoring-emma-raducanu-as-tennis-star-turns-to-spurs-man-17711537

Well that explains her drop in form…

Letters
07-11-2022, 09:37 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63549275

Who’s a thunk it?

Mac76
09-11-2022, 01:00 AM
now he tells us...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63554507

Mac76
10-11-2022, 05:38 PM
Just watching Verona v Juve in a pub - Verona have a player called Lasagne :haha:

Letters
10-11-2022, 07:35 PM
Spurs really need to sign him for the bantz

Ralpheroo72
13-11-2022, 11:01 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12747058/cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united-forward-says-he-feels-betrayed-and-has-no-respect-for-erik-ten-hag

:popcorn:

Marc Overmars
14-11-2022, 06:36 AM
He’s shat on the club. I don’t know why they haven’t just terminated his contract.

Xhaka Can’t
14-11-2022, 07:40 AM
Morgan and Ronaldo, together in discussion. A black hole of bullshit.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-11-2022, 06:06 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11748/12749021/ivan-toney-brentford-striker-charged-by-fa-over-232-alleged-breaches-of-betting-rules-in-four-year-period

McNamara That Ghost...
16-11-2022, 06:06 PM
232. Fucking hell. :haha:

If that is his last game this season, thank you Toney for all that you have done! What a way to leave it.

GP
16-11-2022, 07:10 PM
What a fucking idiot.

Marc Overmars
16-11-2022, 09:50 PM
WTF. :haha:

Guess that explains his exclusion from the World Cup squad.

Xhaka Can’t
16-11-2022, 10:38 PM
Meh, 365 would’ve been comedy gold

Mac76
17-11-2022, 08:47 AM
so that explains why every time i sign him for my fantasy team he inexplicably starts doing really badly

Letters
17-11-2022, 08:59 AM
Meh, 365 would’ve been comedy gold

:lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
29-11-2022, 04:21 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63785489

Oh Juve. :haha:

At it again.

Letters
04-12-2022, 10:09 PM
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neville-southall-everton-nigel-farage-25665985

Holy shit! How fat is Neville Southall now?!

McNamara That Ghost...
05-12-2022, 11:14 AM
Good on him.

Also, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63858805

Mike Ashley being a cunt again.

HCZ_Reborn
05-12-2022, 11:57 AM
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neville-southall-everton-nigel-farage-25665985

Holy shit! How fat is Neville Southall now?!

One of the few occasions where I support Nigel Farage

HCZ_Reborn
14-12-2022, 02:25 PM
https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1602980378288979971?s=46&t=2JK45tKQNMIYk77NVSPOfg

McNamara That Ghost...
20-12-2022, 05:18 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11748/12772083/ivan-toney-brentford-striker-charged-with-further-30-alleged-breaches-of-fa-betting-rules-taking-total-to-262

McNamara That Ghost...
20-12-2022, 05:19 PM
Toney. :haha:

Letters
20-12-2022, 05:54 PM

Wow.

Mac76
20-12-2022, 10:19 PM
Do all his goals get scratched out if he's guilty? :popcorn:

Letters
23-12-2022, 04:02 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52184395

Cohen :rose:

McNamara That Ghost...
30-12-2022, 09:37 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12777056/cristiano-ronaldo-former-manchester-united-forward-signs-for-saudi-arabian-club-al-nassr

Ronaldo retires. Essentially.

Marc Overmars
30-12-2022, 09:41 PM
400m across 2 years apparently. Fucking mental but you can’t blame him for taking it at this stage of his career.

Letters
30-12-2022, 10:13 PM
400m across 2 years apparently. Fucking mental but you can’t blame him for taking it at this stage of his career.

I guess. But holy shit how much money do you need?

Mac76
05-01-2023, 10:49 AM
The suggested captions here are all terrible but I love the actual clip :lol:

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1610934355001475072

Letters
06-01-2023, 10:09 AM
Vialli :rose:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64039302?

Marc Overmars
06-01-2023, 10:19 AM
RIP :rose:

Always one of the great characters I remember growing up in the 90’s.

Mac76
06-01-2023, 10:21 AM
only 58 too, very young :rose:

HCZ_Reborn
06-01-2023, 10:22 AM
That is sad, I didn’t even realise he was ill

Decent footballer too, was captain the last time Juventus won the European cup

IBK
06-01-2023, 11:17 AM
Vialli :rose:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64039302?

F*ck me that's sad :upset:

LDG
06-01-2023, 05:14 PM
How sad. Far too young.

McNamara That Ghost...
06-01-2023, 07:41 PM
He was a wonderful player, loved him as a pundit.

Niall_Quinn
07-01-2023, 02:51 AM
F*ck me that's sad :upset:

I liked Vialli. Not on match day, but the rest of the time. As I recall, he respected the game. And played it quite well. He's left clown world now, for a better place.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-01-2023, 08:14 PM
Roberto Martinez to become Portugal head coach.

WTF? Is his secret mission destroy everyone else's golden generation?

Mac76
08-01-2023, 10:13 AM
How sad. Far too young.

When I think of Vialli I think of this game away at Tromso, I remember watching it on TV live and he was so amazing on such a treacherous pitch.

"Vialli, wearing gloves, barrelling through the icy drifts in Tromso like a runaway snow plough to score two vital goals with an orange ball to keep Chelsea in the European Cup Winners Cup in October 1997, a competition they would win with him as player-manager seven months later."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-41042885.html

HCZ_Reborn
09-01-2023, 12:55 PM
Martinez has taken over as Portugal manager, the mediocrity train keeps rolling on

Marc Overmars
09-01-2023, 03:49 PM
Bale has retired. :lol:

Seems so young at 33 but I guess if you’ve had the career he’s had it makes sense if the hunger isn’t there anymore. He’s been on the golf course for years anyway.

Letters
13-01-2023, 12:34 PM
From this week's BBC News Quiz. I was able to rule out one answer pretty quickly :d

https://i.ibb.co/SQt7ZPq/Bale.jpg

Letters
13-01-2023, 01:47 PM
Mendy. An innocent man :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63677581

Letters
19-01-2023, 05:08 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64333540

Mac76
19-01-2023, 07:54 PM

Xhaka Can’t
19-01-2023, 08:27 PM

LDG
19-01-2023, 09:54 PM
Only the welsh

Mac76
23-01-2023, 04:51 PM
WTF happened to Ronaldo?! - looks like he's had the sh*t beaten out of him...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64368900

GP
23-01-2023, 06:46 PM
He's always been an ugly cunt

Letters
26-01-2023, 05:46 PM
https://enfielddispatch.co.uk/councillors-clash-over-whitewebbs-in-bad-tempered-civic-centre-debate

:d

dazthegooner
26-01-2023, 07:32 PM
They said they wanted to build a Womans and girls academy, thought they already had one in the Spuds 1st X1 and the reserves. :coffee:

Mac76
26-01-2023, 09:34 PM
Bielsa might be going to Neverton :haha:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64416720

HCZ_Reborn
27-01-2023, 11:49 AM
Bielsa might be going to Neverton :haha:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64416720

Nah it’s going to be Throat cancer boy

Another injury minefield to negotiate if that thug’s first game in charge is against us

Mac76
27-01-2023, 02:29 PM
Bad news, I hate Dyke, like you say it's more thuggery, no doubt he'll recruit a bunch of c***s to foul their way up the table

Letters
27-01-2023, 04:35 PM
Nah it’s going to be Throat cancer boy
Worst.
Superhero.
Ever.

HCZ_Reborn
31-01-2023, 01:03 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64467160

I’m interested to know what Kick it Out’s stance would have been had it been a black player doing this given their stated stance is “regardless of context”

IBK
31-01-2023, 03:01 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64467160

I’m interested to know what Kick it Out’s stance would have been had it been a black player doing this given their stated stance is “regardless of context”

Interesting point.

HCZ_Reborn
31-01-2023, 03:25 PM
Interesting point.

Don’t get me wrong you have to be a bit stupid to sing Gangster Rap lyrics on an Instagram video especially if you’re a footballer and in the public sphere.

But the whole regardless of context thing you cannot use that word, no that’s daft. It wouldn’t do to use it gratuitously but there are clearly some contexts (such as educational) where it is appropriate.

IBK
31-01-2023, 03:39 PM
Don’t get me wrong you have to be a bit stupid to sing Gangster Rap lyrics on an Instagram video especially if you’re a footballer and in the public sphere.

But the whole regardless of context thing you cannot use that word, no that’s daft. It wouldn’t do to use it gratuitously but there are clearly some contexts (such as educational) where it is appropriate.

Personally, I hate the word. But it has become so ubiquitous in black culture (based originally on re-claiming ownership of it), that I can see that young white people are confused that they cannot repeat it...

Niall_Quinn
01-02-2023, 08:35 PM
Interesting point.

Not really. If you can't speak then you live in a tyranny. And if you live in a tyranny you haven't got time to worry about point like this - you should be busy overthrowing the tyranny.

Niall_Quinn
01-02-2023, 08:38 PM
Personally, I hate the word. But it has become so ubiquitous in black culture (based originally on re-claiming ownership of it), that I can see that young white people are confused that they cannot repeat it...

It's a WORD.

A WORD.

Hello! Snap out of it!

Fine if you hate the word. So don't use it. But so what? It's a WORD.

Nobody died.

Weapons to Ukraine, on the other hand...

Letters
01-02-2023, 09:46 PM
I’m going to break with tradition and agree with NQ on this one.
“Regardless of context” is obviously bollox.
I would suggest that “To Kill A Mockingbird” contains a powerful anti-racism message, and it uses the word liberally. It’s used in the stage adaptation of it I saw last year.
The idea of a word which can’t be used, or can’t be used by certain people, is nonsensical.

Mac76
02-02-2023, 09:17 AM
It's a WORD.

A WORD.

Hello! Snap out of it!

Nobody died.

I love the way you're trying REALLY HARD to argue with somone who's agreeing with you... you just can't help yourself can you - do you argue with yourself in the mirror too?

Mac76
02-02-2023, 09:18 AM

agreed

IBK
02-02-2023, 09:49 AM
It's a WORD.

A WORD.

Hello! Snap out of it!

Nobody died.

It's not just a word if you spent your childhood being abused by it...nevertheless my original point stands.

Letters
02-02-2023, 12:55 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64498736

:partytime:

Mac76
02-02-2023, 01:36 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64498736

:partytime:

My only concern with standing areas is it leading to a clampdown on people standing elsewhere, I'm right at the back of the upper tier at the Emirates and we all stand, we're not in anyone's way and it's just a better experience

Marc Overmars
02-02-2023, 01:47 PM
I hate sitting down at a game.

Can only be a good thing if more safe standing areas are introduced, as long as they are managed properly.

Mac76
02-02-2023, 03:39 PM

Can only be a good thing if more safe standing areas are introduced, as long as they are managed properly.

I suspect a few idiots will spoil it, let's face it, all the morons will be first in to those areas

HCZ_Reborn
02-02-2023, 04:34 PM

Terraces were only ever a danger when they decided to erect wire fences to pen people in

And if hooliganism is going to be a thing, it will happen weather a stadium is an all seater or not.

Globalgunner
02-02-2023, 05:18 PM
So Mason Greenwood has not been charged. He will be long tainted with these accusations. Hopefully he is young enough to pick his career back off again. the same thing happened to Mendy at City. These money seeking 304s will accuse someone of rape in the full expectation of getting paid handsomely for it and after all said and done they resume their anonymity

Hope every young up and comer learns from this. have cameras all over your house. Record everything.

GP
02-02-2023, 05:44 PM
He is definitely guilty though. You heard the recording?

He was charged, but the CPS have decided not to proceed as the witness is refusing to testify.

Hopefully he never kicks a ball again.

Letters
02-02-2023, 10:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAD6bxoojfw

Globalgunner
03-02-2023, 07:47 AM
He is definitely guilty though. You heard the recording?

He was charged, but the CPS have decided not to proceed as the witness is refusing to testify.

Hopefully he never kicks a ball again.

I didnt hear the recording but I trust the CPS judgement above some random dude on the web. If a woman was raped, Why wouldnt she want justice for herself

Marc Overmars
03-02-2023, 09:06 AM
They’re apparently back together. :lol:

Not sure how true that is but if so it would explain why it’s been dropped. Maybe she just fancied a life of money instead of any self respect.

HCZ_Reborn
03-02-2023, 09:13 AM

Not sure how true that is but if so it would explain why it’s been dropped. Maybe she just fancied a life of money instead of any self respect.

If I was that girls dad I’d want to do a Barry the Baptist job on Greenwood…nasty little prick

Letters
03-02-2023, 09:22 AM
I didnt hear the recording
Well how about you do that before you comment on this further.

but I trust the CPS judgement above some random dude on the web. If a woman was raped, Why wouldnt she want justice for herself
You really need to learn more about this whole subject before you come out with ignorant bullshit like this.

Letters
03-02-2023, 09:23 AM

Women staying in abusive relationships is another "tale as old as time". That's sad if true.

Marc Overmars
03-02-2023, 10:12 AM
I mean, it’s fairly clear from the recording and the photos she posted at the time he fucked up. The case was dropped because someone refused to testify. I think it’s obvious what’s happened here but in the eyes of the law he’ll remain innocent.

Maybe he’ll go and play in Saudi Arabia, they don’t give a shit about women there at least.

GP
03-02-2023, 10:26 AM
There are recordings of her dad urging her to forgive him since they've been together "since he was in the under-21s" It's clear what his motivations are The whole thing is desperately sad.

Xhaka Can’t
04-02-2023, 10:34 AM
Well how about you do that before you comment on this further.

You really need to learn more about this whole subject before you come out with ignorant bullshit like this.

Give the guy a break man.

If he didn’t come out with bullshit like this, he’d have nothing to post on the web.

HCZ_Reborn
04-02-2023, 11:31 AM
Give the guy a break man.

If he didn’t come out with bullshit like this, he’d have nothing to post on the web.

I look at this stuff on a case by case basis, Ched Evans I was sympathetic towards because he had been acquitted of Rape. Pretty grimy behaviour and there is question over whether his accuser was sober enough to consent. But you can’t imprison someone just because you don’t approve of their behaviour.

Mason Greenwood? I cannot see in what context anyone can listen to him getting angry with his girlfriend because she won’t open her legs and telling her at least twice he doesn’t care whether she wants to have sex with him and think this guy has been hard done by.

But there are people who genuinely believe he’s done nothing wrong. This isn’t even United fans…plenty of them are saying they don’t want him playing for the club again. To bring cultural context, a lot of Greenwood’s defenders on social media seem to come from non western countries

WMUG
07-02-2023, 04:46 PM
I feel like this is probably a better place to talk about all the City stuff :lol:

Marc Overmars
07-02-2023, 05:13 PM
The other big 6 clubs want them relegated if found guilty. :lol:

I think this would be a good punishment. Taking away their titles is meaningless but should be a given.

Mac76
07-02-2023, 05:24 PM
I msut admit I'm not in favour of them being stripped of all their PL titles since 2013 if it means giving two more to Moan U and three to Liverpool :sick:

It would also be perverse for us as it would mean we'd have qualified for CL once or twice more...

HCZ_Reborn
07-02-2023, 05:49 PM
The other big 6 clubs want them relegated if found guilty. :lol:

I think this would be a good punishment. Taking away their titles is meaningless but should be a given.

If I were Chelsea football club I would simply be very quiet on this issue

GP
07-02-2023, 05:58 PM
They absolutely should be stripped of their titles when found guilty.

That doesn't mean awarding those titles to the runners up, I don't think there's much merit in doing that.

Shaqiri Is Boss
07-02-2023, 07:01 PM
I'd be shocked if anything happened. They won't be stripped of anything, at most they will get a fine and/or a small points deduction which will make no difference in the grand scheme of things.

The very worst of the charges will be dismissed or fudged, and they'll be "found guilty" of the lowest charges.

IBK
07-02-2023, 07:07 PM
My problem is that I feel a bit meh about this. Whether within the rules or not, we have 3 nation state EPL clubs, and at least 2 more that are financially doped to the gills. If anything Chelsea are even worse than Citeh with dirty Russian oligarch money writing off their debt after years of sports washing. Football is a dirty business however you look at it and the situation is here to stay...

...and that's not even going into the wider football world with the last 2 WC's staged in despicable countries...

Letters
07-02-2023, 09:27 PM
I'd be shocked if anything happened. They won't be stripped of anything, at most they will get a fine and/or a small points deduction which will make no difference in the grand scheme of things.

The very worst of the charges will be dismissed or fudged, and they'll be "found guilty" of the lowest charges.

Aye. This is what I reckon too.
But let's say they are stripped of their title, I guess Liverpool could therefore be awarded some retrospectively. But would that really mean anything to you?

Letters
08-02-2023, 09:29 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/64563131

And Kane only has 267? What a loser.

HCZ_Reborn
08-02-2023, 12:15 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/64563131

And Kane only has 267? What a loser.

I didn’t even realise that LeBron James was still playing until I saw this story yesterday

I know fuck all about US sport, and care even less.

I kept half an eye on the regional championship final in the NFL between the 49ers and the Eagles because my cousins who live near San Francisco are niners fans….I wouldn’t have a clue who played for them.

My only tenuous point of reference is that Levi Stadium is one of the stadiums being used at the next World Cup

Shaqiri Is Boss
08-02-2023, 04:28 PM
Aye. This is what I reckon too.
But let's say they are stripped of their title, I guess Liverpool could therefore be awarded some retrospectively. But would that really mean anything to you?I think the investigation is 2009 to 2018, so I think we'd only be "awarded" one anyway. So nah :lol:

WMUG
09-02-2023, 11:59 AM
Super league's back.

Just fuck off will you? Didn't you learn your lesson from last time?

:doh:

Mac76
09-02-2023, 12:44 PM
Super league's back.

Just fuck off will you? Didn't you learn your lesson from last time?

:doh:

Totally, can't believe it's raising its ugly head and so soon as well

Hopefully we'll steer clear this time

Mac76
09-02-2023, 12:44 PM
Haaland wants out from Citeh according to this:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/haaland-looking-for-immediate-man-city-exit-after-finance-scandal-erupts-and-rift-with-guardiola-emerges/ar-AA17g5zj

WMUG
09-02-2023, 01:06 PM
Haaland wants out from Citeh according to this:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/haaland-looking-for-immediate-man-city-exit-after-finance-scandal-erupts-and-rift-with-guardiola-emerges/ar-AA17g5zj

Come home :bow:

Letters
09-02-2023, 04:09 PM
The best possible outcome is that this destabilises them enough that we waltz off with the title, and they throw the book at them next season :d

Letters
10-02-2023, 08:49 AM
Scoring against pub teams :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64590484

HCZ_Reborn
13-02-2023, 02:45 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12810207/jakub-jankto-czech-republic-international-comes-out-as-gay-in-social-media-statement

:sick:

Letters
13-02-2023, 02:47 PM
:sick:

Really?!

HCZ_Reborn
13-02-2023, 02:53 PM
Really?!

I actually don’t care one way or the other. I won’t lie, I do miss the days when football was staunchly homophobic with some of the chants, but progress always comes at a cost I guess

HCZ_Reborn
13-02-2023, 02:58 PM
It would be interesting to see the reaction if one of our players turned out to be a shirt lifter (my money would be on Kieran Tierney)

Not so much from this board, but our global fan base who react like Pavlov’s dogs every time the club does any Love is Love corporate bullshit.

There seems to be a failure to recognise amongst sporting brands and big business that the rest of the world doesn’t accept this as readily as we do. Especially in African countries where homosexuality is equated not only with mental illness but a negation of masculinity.

Letters
13-02-2023, 03:07 PM

I actually don’t care one way or the other. I won’t lie, I do miss the days when football was staunchly homophobic with some of the chants, but progress always comes at a cost I guess

I tell you what’s grinding my gears at the moment.
Every sodding advert has to feature a gay couple. It feels like a pandering box tick.
I don’t particularly have anything against representation, I mean gays do exist. But the percentage is pretty low. Does it really have to be in every bleeding TV show and advert?
Of course, you’re not allowed to say or think that because that’s “bigoted”, apparently
:shrug:

Shaqiri Is Boss
13-02-2023, 07:38 PM
But then that's the argument when every TV show say has got to have one woman, one minority, one alternative sexual orientation, one tag-of-something.

On its own of course it's not a problem. I couldn't give two shits of who is representing who so long as that person is prescient to the topic at hand. The problem comes when you know full well why they are doing it. It's not because that person is the funniest. Or the most intelligent. Or the best qualified to speak. It's purely and solely to tick a box.

And it is hard to say that because it is a slippery slope to something more sinister. But life isn't done by committee. And if we pretend it is then that's doing more harm than good.

Letters
13-02-2023, 08:39 PM
I couldn't give two shits of who is representing who so long as that person is prescient to the topic at hand. The problem comes when you know full well why they are doing it.
Right.
One of the adverts I saw was for Sainsbury's loans ffs. I can't actually remember the contents of the advert but the picture was of a male groom and groom.
It was just shoehorned in as a pointless box-tick. Well, it wasn't pointless. The point was to virtue signal.
There were the obvious negative comments and the equally obvious responses calling the commenters bigots.
And some of the commenters were probably bigots, but I suspect most were just, like me, a bit fed up of it being shoe-horned into every corner of the media when the percentages of people this represents are vanishingly small compared with it being absolutely bloody everywhere in the media.
Some of that is a backlash to centuries of oppression I guess, but there is a middle ground.

IBK
13-02-2023, 09:24 PM
Right.
One of the adverts I saw was for Sainsbury's loans ffs. I can't actually remember the contents of the advert but the picture was of a male groom and groom.
It was just shoehorned in as a pointless box-tick. Well, it wasn't pointless. The point was to virtue signal.
There were the obvious negative comments and the equally obvious responses calling the commenters bigots.
And some of the commenters were probably bigots, but I suspect most were just, like me, a bit fed up of it being shoe-horned into every corner of the media when the percentages of people this represents are vanishingly small compared with it being absolutely bloody everywhere in the media.
Some of that is a backlash to centuries of oppression I guess, but there is a middle ground.

Problem with virtue signalling is that often those doing it are the least committed to the cause in real terms.

The Wengerbabies
14-02-2023, 07:13 PM
Belgian goalkeeper Arne Espeel dies at age 25 after saving penalty

Belgian goalkeeper Arne Espeel died after he collapsed on the pitch on Saturday moments after saving a penalty for his team. He was 25.

Winkel Sport B, who play in the second provincial division of West Brabant in Belgium, were 2-1 up against Westrozebeke when their opponents were awarded a penalty in the second half.

According to reports in Belgian media, Espeel saved the spot kick but dropped to the ground afterward. Emergency services rushed to help Espeel and tried to revive him with a defibrillator, but he was pronounced dead shortly after he was taken to a hospital.

The game was played at the club's home ground in Sint-Eloois-Winkel in the West Flanders Province.

"Winkel Sport is in very deep mourning by the sudden death of Arne Espeel," the club said in a statement.

"We wish family and friends of Arne our heartfelt condolences in this heavy loss. Football is an afterthought."

An autopsy was scheduled to have taken place on Monday to determine the cause of Espeel's death.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/4877759/belgian-goalkeeper-arne-espeel-dies-after-collapsing-on-pitch

:rose:

Safe and effective​TM

The Wengerbabies
14-02-2023, 07:16 PM
Right.

Are you so threatened by a happy gay couple you can't see past the rage to focus on the actual content of the advert?

Why are you so homophobic.

IBK
15-02-2023, 06:45 AM
Are you so threatened by a happy gay couple you can't see past the rage to focus on the actual content of the advert?

Why are you so homophobic.

I'm not sure youve understood the point of Letters' post. Its not the fact that there was a gay couple featured, its the fact that this appeared tokenistic.

Letters
15-02-2023, 07:10 AM
:lol: Quite amusing of Wengerbabies to illustrate my point.
Unless he was kidding.

IBK
15-02-2023, 08:47 AM
:lol: Quite amusing of Wengerbabies to illustrate my point.
Unless he was kidding.

Yes there is that...

dazthegooner
17-02-2023, 07:49 PM
Well Lee Mason has quit https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11764529/Lee-Mason-leaves-PGMOL-mutual-consent-following-VAR-blunder.html :good:

Marc Overmars
17-02-2023, 08:13 PM
Qatar have apparently bid 5 billion for Man United.

Very bad news for the rest of the league if this happens. They’re already a commercial juggernaut, combine that with the unlimited funds Qatar would provide, then you’ve got a strong possibility of another 2 decades worth of dominance. These Arabs don’t really play second fiddle.

Mac76
17-02-2023, 09:51 PM
Well Lee Mason has quit https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11764529/Lee-Mason-leaves-PGMOL-mutual-consent-following-VAR-blunder.html :good:

He shouldn't have been allowed to quit FFS, he should have been sacked

Mac76
17-02-2023, 09:52 PM
Qatar have apparently bid 5 billion for Man United.

Very bad news for the rest of the league if this happens. They’re already a commercial juggernaut, combine that with the unlimited funds Qatar would provide, then you’ve got a strong possibility of another 2 decades worth of dominance. These Arabs don’t really play second fiddle.

I'd rather we never won the title again than be owned by those people, that's why I hate those Newvlcastle fans who moaned about Ashley but don't give a shit about the human rights abuses of their new owners

Marc Overmars
23-02-2023, 09:56 AM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64742833.amp

John Motson has died. :rose:

Quite sad really. The voice of football for many of us growing up.

Letters
23-02-2023, 09:58 AM
Just came here to post that. Yes, that is sad. He wasn't that old really.

:rose:

Letters
10-03-2023, 04:53 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/10/gary-lineker-to-step-back-from-presenting-match-of-the-day-18422695

Well done, BBC. The world is now a safer place...

Xhaka Can’t
10-03-2023, 05:12 PM
Bowing down to their political masters

HCZ_Reborn
10-03-2023, 05:32 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/10/gary-lineker-to-step-back-from-presenting-match-of-the-day-18422695

Well done, BBC. The world is now a safer place...

Don’t agree with what Lineker said, people that compare things to Nazi Germany are usually a bit thick no matter where they are on the political spectrum. But the most that should have happened was an eye roll the same eye roll he gets when he retweets Hamas apologists….because he’s a bit of a nitwit when it comes to politics.

He is for me under no obligation to meet BBC impartiality standards as a sports anchor, and this is Richard Sharp being a bell end and is quite rich considering the questions he needs to answer about securing a loan for Boris Johnson (especially as anyone lending money to Boris Johnson with the expectation that they’ll get it back should have their head examined)

Xhaka Can’t
10-03-2023, 05:38 PM
He was specifically referring to the language being used as similar to that in 1930s Germany. Whether it is or not, it doesn’t matter because it is his opinion which shouldn’t matter because it isn’t as if he is the presenter of Newsnight.

Anyway, Ian Wright is now off air - his choice, as well.

HCZ_Reborn
10-03-2023, 05:42 PM
He was specifically referring to the language being used as similar to that in 1930s Germany. Whether it is or not, it doesn’t matter because it is his opinion which shouldn’t matter because it isn’t as if he is the presenter of Newsnight.

Anyway, Ian Wright is now off air - his choice, as well.

Why do people say that as if a) I didn’t read what he said and b) it makes any difference whatsoever and c) I already said I agree that he has the right to that stupid opinion without being punished by the Beeb

No the language is not similar and this comes back to my Lineker is being a bit thick. The language against Jews was explicit…they were vermin undeserving of German citizenship. Yes Braverman uses irresponsible language and far right dog whistles but that’s because she’s an idiot vastly over promoted.
I don’t agree with the government policy because it’s just a rehash of policy it’s proposed time and time again, it failed before it will fail again (and it’s intended to fail)
But it’s not the language of Nazi Germany.

HCZ_Reborn
10-03-2023, 06:25 PM
Anyway after a short round of negotiations, it’s been agreed that I will be standing in for Gary L tomorrow night

The agreement is I don’t get paid, I front the cost of my own transport but in return I can liberally use the word cunt during the program, and I have the bonus option of referring to one of the pundits as a chinless nonce

Letters
10-03-2023, 08:44 PM
Anyway after a short round of negotiations, it’s been agreed that I will be standing in for Gary L tomorrow night

The agreement is I don’t get paid, I front the cost of my own transport but in return I can liberally use the word cunt during the program, and I have the bonus option of referring to one of the pundits as a chinless nonce

I’ll be watching

Mac76
11-03-2023, 09:43 AM
It's a shame Lineker referred to that particular example because it's such a minefield but in general he's right they are using inflammatory language.

My hope - and guess - is he'll return once they reach some kind of understanding, but one thing is without doubt, the BBC is now a Tory mouthpiece and little more

The irony is that those on the right will continue to call it "left-wing" until Dominic Raab is presenting every news bulletin

This sad little country's getting nastier by the week

HCZ_Reborn
11-03-2023, 10:13 AM
It's a shame Lineker referred to that particular example because it's such a minefield but in general he's right they are using inflammatory language.

My hope - and guess - is he'll return once they reach some kind of understanding, but one thing is without doubt, the BBC is now a Tory mouthpiece and little more

The irony is that those on the right will continue to call it "left-wing" until Dominic Raab is presenting every news bulletin

This sad little country's getting nastier by the week

If Lineker had said that irresponsible government rhetoric was inflaming passions and it was arguably partly responsible for instances like Knowsley or the Dover Migrant centre last year…he’d have made a point that was accurate. But because he’s not very intelligent, he goes full Hitler (you should never go full Hitler)

The Government is not interested in changing the BBC editorial output, it’s more interested in being able to show that the organisation is an example of an elitist institution that is out of touch with the British people. It’s the same shit they do when they harp on about lefty lawyers confounding them over Rwanda (never mind that the agreement with Rwanda allows for sending over 1,000 people in a five year period which isn’t really doing anything to address the migrant situation)

It’s the rhetoric that populist right wing governments use by creating a division between the out of touch liberal lefties and the ordinary salt of the earth people. It’s so transparent it’s actually amusing…(it’s why they made that gobshite Lee Anderson deputy chairman). It’s an admission that they can’t win an election on their record of governing so they’ve got to indulge in full on culture war.

The problem is, it’s often successful because the liberal lefty lot are often so stupid, self important and righteously indignant.

Mac76
11-03-2023, 05:03 PM
Revolution incoming... :popcorn:

https://www.football.london/premier-league/bbc-pfa-gary-lineker-motd-26447804

McNamara That Ghost...
23-03-2023, 09:24 PM
Bayern have sacked Nagelsmann apparently. :blink:

Tuchel to take over.

McNamara That Ghost...
24-03-2023, 08:10 PM
It has happened.

Hope Citeh hammer them tbf for their hubris.

McNamara That Ghost...
24-03-2023, 08:11 PM
Spuds going for Nagelsmann seems a reasonable shout.

Letters
02-04-2023, 02:06 PM
Rodgers sacked :lol:

Mac76
02-04-2023, 06:41 PM
Rodgers sacked :lol:

only just seen this :haha:

GP
02-04-2023, 07:06 PM
Potter has been sacked.