PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal v Luton. 03/04/24. 19:30

Marc Overmars
02-04-2024, 04:42 PM
A game we should win but of course nothing can be taken for granted. We choked against Southampton this time last year so we need to be on it from the start and not make things unnecessarily difficult for ourselves.

A lot of talk that we will rotate for this and considering how many fixtures we’ve got coming up in a short space of time I’m inclined to agree. Would like to see Partey, Zinchenko and Tomiyasu start.

Letters
02-04-2024, 06:18 PM
Must win.

Mac76
02-04-2024, 09:17 PM
A game we should win but of course nothing can be taken for granted. We choked against Southampton this time last year so we need to be on it from the start and not make things unnecessarily difficult for ourselves.

A lot of talk that we will rotate for this and considering how many fixtures we’ve got coming up in a short space of time I’m inclined to agree. Would like to see Partey, Zinchenko and Tomiyasu start.

I would never 'like' to see Zin start in any game but given our lack of choices I suppose it needs to be considered

Mac76
02-04-2024, 09:18 PM
0-3 Morrison hatter

HCZ_Reborn
03-04-2024, 06:02 AM
Raya, Tomiyasu, Saliba, Kiwior, Zinchenko, Partey, Rice, Smith Rowe, Martinelli, Trossard, Vieira

Gives Gabriel, Saka, Jorginho, Havertz and Odegaard a rest. Withdraw Rice early if it’s possible

IBK
03-04-2024, 09:15 AM
Raya, Tomiyasu, Saliba, Kiwior, Zinchenko, Partey, Rice, Smith Rowe, Martinelli, Trossard, Vieira

Gives Gabriel, Saka, Jorginho, Havertz and Odegaard a rest. Withdraw Rice early if it’s possible

Would like to see at least 4 players rotated but knowing Arteta this might be a pipe dream...

Mac76
03-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Would like to see at least 4 players rotated but knowing Arteta this might be a pipe dream...

I think you're right, he's more likely to start fairly strong and then make subs

That said given Saka's fitness and importance he just HAS to rest him

HCZ_Reborn
03-04-2024, 01:05 PM
I understand it in a way, Luton are capable of making things difficult for us if we don’t take them seriously

Doughty, Osho, Barkey, Adebayo, Chong…..players I can see being bought by mid table clubs

Saka is probably a must, but I think Jorginho, Gabriel need a rest.

IBK
03-04-2024, 01:15 PM
I think you're right, he's more likely to start fairly strong and then make subs

That said given Saka's fitness and importance he just HAS to rest him

I would dearly like to know what goes on behind the scenes at Colney. I know Reiss Nelson is no Saka (on form), but to me he has always looked right up to speed coming off the bench, and surely he is better than anything Luton have so why not give him a start on the right tonight?

HCZ_Reborn
03-04-2024, 01:37 PM
I would dearly like to know what goes on behind the scenes at Colney. I know Reiss Nelson is no Saka (on form), but to me he has always looked right up to speed coming off the bench, and surely he is better than anything Luton have so why not give him a start on the right tonight?

He’s a hard worker, but he’s just below par technically

What I will say for him though, is he seems to have developed his game physically. Time was a stiff breeze could knock him over

Mac76
03-04-2024, 03:02 PM

I'd absolutely do that, or Vieira who played well on our right the once or twice we was deployed there.

Saka is clearly not 100% and this is a good opportunity to rest him, if Arteta doesn't it's plainn irresponsible

IBK
03-04-2024, 03:47 PM
He’s a hard worker, but he’s just below par technically

What I will say for him though, is he seems to have developed his game physically. Time was a stiff breeze could knock him over

Depends what below par means. Arteta not only kept him, but gave RN a new contract and has played him at times. He may not be considered good enough to have a future at Arsenal but I don't think anyone is of the view that the player is not mid EPL standard, and his career at Arsenal suggests this. If this is the case, could he not be given a game with say Jesus and Martinelli as the other 2 forwards in order to give Saka a rest? This is one of the most frustrating things about Arteta. We are right down towards the bottom of the league for different players starting games, and the indifferent form of knackered starting 11 players might hurt us more than starting a fresh back up players....

HCZ_Reborn
03-04-2024, 04:30 PM
Depends what below par means. Arteta not only kept him, but gave RN a new contract and has played him at times. He may not be considered good enough to have a future at Arsenal but I don't think anyone is of the view that the player is not mid EPL standard, and his career at Arsenal suggests this. If this is the case, could he not be given a game with say Jesus and Martinelli as the other 2 forwards in order to give Saka a rest? This is one of the most frustrating things about Arteta. We are right down towards the bottom of the league for different players starting games, and the indifferent form of knackered starting 11 players might hurt us more than starting a fresh back up players....

I’m not seeing a player of premier league standard unless by premier league standard you’re talking Burnley or Sheffield United. At a pinch he could play for Forest, but that simply isn’t of a high enough standard to be a starter.

The reason he was given a new contract is because it’s cheaper to use him as filler to rest tired legs than pay out to flesh out the squad with actual quality.

HCZ_Reborn
03-04-2024, 05:31 PM
Looks like we misjudged Arteta

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Made changes. I always hate rotation personally.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 05:33 PM
Arsenal: Raya, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Partey, Smith Rowe, Odegaard, Nelson, Trossard, Havertz.
Subs: Ramsdale,Tomiyasu, Kiwior, Rice, Jorginho, Vieira, Jesus, Martinelli, Nketiah.

Luton Town: Kaminski, Onyedinma, Mengi, Kabore, Hashioka, Doughty, Mpanzu, Barkley, Townsend, Clark, Morris.
Subs: Krul, Shea, Berry, Woodrow, Chong, Johnson, Chigozie, Nelson, Piesold.

HCZ_Reborn
03-04-2024, 05:34 PM
Id have rested Gabriel and Odegaard and I’m not at all convinced Smith Rowe and Odegaard can play together

And definitely interesting front three - Nelson, Trossard and Havertz

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 05:55 PM
Added in Luton's team.

Piesold. :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 06:27 PM
Come on Arsenal. :bow:

Mac76
03-04-2024, 06:28 PM
Great to see Nelson and ESR getting game time, hope it goes well for them

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 06:31 PM
Poor pass from Havertz.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 06:38 PM
Zinchenko caught hold of that one.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 06:52 PM
Trossard making some good movements in the last few minutes.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 06:54 PM
ODEGAARD!!!

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 06:56 PM
ESR did great winning the ball back in the lead-up to the goal tbf.

And so did Havertz.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 06:57 PM
Good save from Raya.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 07:00 PM
Nelson. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 07:04 PM
Pinball.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
White. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 07:13 PM
NELSON!!! :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 07:14 PM
Oh it's an OG. :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 07:21 PM
2-0 HT.

Alright.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 07:38 PM
How many subscriptions do you need these days to watch a match? Who the fuck are TNT sports? Is that the BT channel I used to get for free because I was one of their valued customers?

WMUG
03-04-2024, 07:42 PM
How many subscriptions do you need these days to watch a match? Who the fuck are TNT sports? Is that the BT channel I used to get for free because I was one of their valued customers?

Yup, that's the one!

footybite.to or soccerlive.app are your friends.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 07:46 PM
Yup, that's the one!

footybite.to or soccerlive.app are your friends.

We're always at the base of that greed pyramid. Anyway, thanks, will check out the entirely justifiable pirate links.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't bother until we make some subs tbf.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 07:51 PM
soccerlive.app - HD, full screen - nice.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 07:57 PM
They've gone back to being entirely complacent I see. With no bite.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 07:57 PM
Partey off, Rice on.

Havertz off after his dive and yellow Nketiah on.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 07:59 PM
That was absolutely pathetic by Havertz, or whatever his name is. Why?

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 08:00 PM
Where's Martinelli? Is he injured or something?

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 08:01 PM
Good move from Luton.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 08:05 PM
Zinchenko off, Tomiyasu on.

Nelson off, Martinelli on.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 08:06 PM
Don't rate Nelson, tbf.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 08:10 PM
Tomiyasu combs it wide.

WMUG
03-04-2024, 08:14 PM
Where's Martinelli? Is he injured or something?

Being rested I think. Just come back from injury, fixture congestion ahead and a relatively weak opponent.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 08:15 PM
ESR off, Jorginho on.

Mac76
03-04-2024, 08:16 PM
Being rested I think. Just come back from injury, fixture congestion ahead and a relatively weak opponent.

Don't tell people things they should know already if they claim to follow Arsenal

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 08:21 PM
This has been such a pointless half it's only four added minutes.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 08:22 PM
Something Arteta needs to realise. Coasting makes it harder in the next game. Performance levels can't just be upped at the click of a switch.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 08:24 PM
Don't tell people things they should know already if they claim to follow Arsenal

You'll soon have a small tribe if your meaningless secrets are so precious. Followed them when you were seeing your first cock behind the bike sheds.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-04-2024, 08:25 PM
2-0 FT.

Barely a training session.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 08:27 PM
This is why modern football is so awful, in the main. They need special reasons to give 100%. 100% should be the absolute minimum. Given the fucking prices.

Mac76
03-04-2024, 08:27 PM
Something Arteta needs to realise. Coasting makes it harder in the next game. Performance levels can't just be upped at the click of a switch.

Don't be ridiculous, he rotated very well, a comfortable 2-0 win, job done :good:

Mac76
03-04-2024, 08:29 PM
This is why modern football is so awful, in the main. They need special reasons to give 100%. 100% should be the absolute minimum. Given the fucking prices.

Ticket prices started at less than £30 tonight - ofc you wouldn't know because you never leave your armchair

Marc Overmars
03-04-2024, 08:30 PM
Job done with no fuss and plenty of rested players. Just what was needed.

On we go. Bound to be tricky at Brighton.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2024, 08:30 PM
Don't be ridiculous, he rotated very well, a comfortable 2-0 win, job done :good:

If you can't tell the difference between that match and the last you'll be totally unaware why the title is a lottery rather than a sure thing. Winners have a way of doing things, regardless of the score. This lot aren't winners yet, but there are signs they could be. Not today though. Everything about today suggests a title loss.

Mac76
03-04-2024, 09:32 PM
You'll soon have a small tribe if your meaningless secrets are so precious. Followed them when you were seeing your first cock behind the bike sheds.

"secrets" :haha:

Martinelli got injured weeks ago and hasn't started a game since :rolleyes:

Mac76
03-04-2024, 09:34 PM
If you can't tell the difference between that match and the last you'll be totally unaware why the title is a lottery rather than a sure thing. Winners have a way of doing things, regardless of the score. This lot aren't winners yet, but there are signs they could be. Not today though. Everything about today suggests a title loss.

Err they won 2-0

I think that makes them winners... ?

I guess you started on the booze early today

HCZ_Reborn
04-04-2024, 06:45 AM
On one hand I’m not going to pretend that I wouldn’t have hoped for a more emphatic scoreline, but at same time it needs to probably be appreciated why a lot of those players aren’t regular starters. Partey for instance looks rustier than the chain on the bike sequestered in my garage.

On the other hand, Smith Rowe for instance was definitely a positive. Every time he plays you can tell he really wants to get amongst the goals, sometimes I think he tries too hard but I think there’s no doubt whilst obviously there is a good reason why he doesn’t start in front of other players that he’s still a decent player and if he has no future with us we should try and get as much as possible for him.

I do worry where the goals will come from in the title run in, but at the same time there is absolutely nothing wrong with the kind of controlled performance and three points we got last night. I just hope that there is enough energy in the squad to deal with champions league fixtures and the need to get three points when the opposition is a bit more challenging than Luton. However I’d have had that same concern if we’d won 5-0 last night

Marc Overmars
04-04-2024, 07:46 AM
I think when you make 5 changes to a very settled team it’s going to have a bit of an impact on how effectively things click. Plus you’re kind of sending out a message that there are bigger games ahead so finding the intensity levels perhaps won’t come as easy. The crowd was very flat too because of the expectation of 3 points.

For me this was the perfect way to deal with what was our easiest remaining fixture. No fuss whatsoever. A complete non-event.

HCZ_Reborn
04-04-2024, 07:49 AM
I think when you make 5 changes to a very settled team it’s going to have a bit of an impact on how effectively things click. Plus you’re kind of sending out a message that there are bigger games ahead so finding the intensity levels perhaps won’t come as easy. The crowd was very flat too because of the expectation of 3 points.

For me this was the perfect way to deal with what was our easiest remaining fixture. No fuss whatsoever. A complete non-event.

Oh I absolutely agree with all of that

It’s just really a case of hoping that some of our squad players had bit more of an impact in terms of goals, I’m not really disappointed because a win is a win and it was a controlled performance, I suppose the only thing I’d say is it would have been nice to see maybe a goal from Havertz or Trossard against a team like this to show they are ready to do it when it matters.

HCZ_Reborn
04-04-2024, 07:51 AM
But believe me, it’s winning that matters. If we scrape a 1-0 against Brighton on Saturday you better believe I’ll be happy with that

Letters
04-04-2024, 08:04 AM
But believe me, it’s winning that matters. If we scrape a 1-0 against Brighton on Saturday you better believe I’ll be happy with that

Exactly this.
NQ seems to have this rose-tinted nostalgia about a lot of things, one of them in this thread being that winning teams give 100% in every game. Just not true. The Invincibles cruised through a lot of games. Sometimes you just have to grind out results. I remember one title run in we faced a stubborn West Ham side and we didn't break them down till gone 70 minutes. At this stage of the season just get the results. It doesn't matter how.

Mac76
04-04-2024, 08:17 AM

Exactly

IBK
04-04-2024, 08:25 AM
I’m not seeing a player of premier league standard unless by premier league standard you’re talking Burnley or Sheffield United. At a pinch he could play for Forest, but that simply isn’t of a high enough standard to be a starter.

The reason he was given a new contract is because it’s cheaper to use him as filler to rest tired legs than pay out to flesh out the squad with actual quality.

Well you were certainly vindicated last night. RN was pretty crap.

HCZ_Reborn
04-04-2024, 08:37 AM
Well you were certainly vindicated last night. RN was pretty crap.

I don’t mean to be disparaging towards him, I respect any player who puts in the work rate he does. It’s just not there for him technically. And I think you need that at the highest level.

I feel the same way towards Eddie Nketiah, hard worker…good pace has reasonable instincts but that little bit of extra quality is missing, with Eddie it’s a mixture of confidence and just not the same ability to read the game as players around him like Havertz, Trossard etc have

Mac76
04-04-2024, 08:39 AM
Both ESR, who won the ball to set up the Odegaard move, and Nelson, who forced the defender to make the interception leading to the OG, had goal involvements, so I'm sure Arteta will be pleased at that

Niall_Quinn
04-04-2024, 11:53 PM
Ticket prices started at less than £30 tonight - ofc you wouldn't know because you never leave your armchair

Was down ay Highbury year after year while you were still wondering why your knob felt funny when you rubbed it. And even funnier when your mate George gave you a tickle.

Niall_Quinn
04-04-2024, 11:57 PM
"secrets" :haha:

Martinelli got injured weeks ago and hasn't started a game since :rolleyes:

Christ - SHHHHHH! Don't tell me that, I'm not a real fan like you. It's so sexy how you keep up with every last thing. Don't know how you possibly fit your busy football schedule in with the rest of those irritating life events. Still, you are a hero to me.

Niall_Quinn
05-04-2024, 12:02 AM

It's the wrong philosophy and another feather in this eternal lie that the PL today is somehow tougher on players than division 1 yonks ago. Don't forget, Terry fucking Butcher was playing back then. Yet strikers turned up week after week, albeit on life-support machines. A settled squad for the run-in will do the business. A mix-and-match, what do the GPS vests say approach will yield precisely ZERO, as was always the case in recent years. Hungry fucking tigers that want it every 3 days, that'll win it. Rotating, oh dear, we've done our bit faggots - nope.

Niall_Quinn
05-04-2024, 12:06 AM

Nothing needed to be "scraped" against that Luton team. They were clueless. For sure, a fight in the trenches 1-0 against an enemy that wants it - that's a whole load of bullets in the bag for the next round. But a, pass me the cakes dear, stroll? Don't see what that gets us. After all the bullets we placed in the bag against the gypos. People may not be noticing, but we've done the fucking business against the main rivals. Complacency leaves room to blow it all by fucking up against the rest. There's no excuse for a performance like that. Sorry. Well, maybe if Liverpool and City decide it's all a stroll, then fine. Well done lads.

Niall_Quinn
05-04-2024, 12:10 AM
Exactly this.
NQ seems to have this rose-tinted nostalgia about a lot of things, one of them in this thread being that winning teams give 100% in every game. Just not true. The Invincibles cruised through a lot of games. Sometimes you just have to grind out results. I remember one title run in we faced a stubborn West Ham side and we didn't break them down till gone 70 minutes. At this stage of the season just get the results. It doesn't matter how.

You mean I can spot winners and losers? And what it takes to win? Explain to me, in technical terms, how that was "grinding out a win". There was no opposition. You take that opportunity to enhance the already impressive goal difference. Just fuck them up in every way possible and send the message. City did. We didn't. Apologise for it all you like, but we know who had the bigger teeth and the hungrier appetite this weekend. You think that won't count in those final few hours?

Letters
05-04-2024, 07:58 AM
You mean I can spot winners and losers? And what it takes to win?
The things you're looking for in this regard is about 40 years out of date.
Wenger didn't stop being successful because he changed, he stopped being successful because he didn't change while the game changed around him. It's a squad game now. City stuck De Bruyne and Haaland on the bench on Wednesday to give them a rest and still cruised to a win. Are City not winners? I mean, they've cheated to get where they are but they just won the treble and have won 4 of the last 5 titles. They rotated, because at this stage of the season with the games coming thick and fast that's what you have to do, given the pace of the game these days.

Explain to me, in technical terms, how that was "grinding out a win".
We didn't grind out a win on Wednesday, I'm just saying sometimes you have to.

There was no opposition. You take that opportunity to enhance the already impressive goal difference. Just fuck them up in every way possible and send the message. City did. We didn't. Apologise for it all you like, but we know who had the bigger teeth and the hungrier appetite this weekend. You think that won't count in those final few hours?
You're contradicting yourself somewhat. You say we need a settled first 11 but you're lauding City for a resounding win when they rested two of their biggest players. And Liverpool only just snuck past Sheffield Utd. 3-1 in the end but before the late goal it was only 2-1 against a side who have conceded 80 goals in the league this season. That's only one fewer than the top 3 combined. Our aggregate against them this season is 11-0.

Obviously it's nice to be really thumping sides and we had a spell of that but you're not going to do it every game.
There's nothing to apologise for. We needed to win, we got the win.

Niall_Quinn
05-04-2024, 06:25 PM
The things you're looking for in this regard is about 40 years out of date.
Wenger didn't stop being successful because he changed, he stopped being successful because he didn't change while the game changed around him. It's a squad game now. City stuck De Bruyne and Haaland on the bench on Wednesday to give them a rest and still cruised to a win. Are City not winners? I mean, they've cheated to get where they are but they just won the treble and have won 4 of the last 5 titles. They rotated, because at this stage of the season with the games coming thick and fast that's what you have to do, given the pace of the game these days.

We didn't grind out a win on Wednesday, I'm just saying sometimes you have to.

You're contradicting yourself somewhat. You say we need a settled first 11 but you're lauding City for a resounding win when they rested two of their biggest players. And Liverpool only just snuck past Sheffield Utd. 3-1 in the end but before the late goal it was only 2-1 against a side who have conceded 80 goals in the league this season. That's only one fewer than the top 3 combined. Our aggregate against them this season is 11-0.

Obviously it's nice to be really thumping sides and we had a spell of that but you're not going to do it every game.
There's nothing to apologise for. We needed to win, we got the win.

Ah, so it was the resting of two big players that made them stronger and hence delivered the emphatic win? Well, those players you speak of aren't as strong as you are making out if they can't play a couple of games a week. Games that are timid compared to what "out of date" players had to face up to. Maybe Pep rested them because they were absolute shite against us? Because we shut down his tippety-tap bullshit and rendered his tap-masters irrelevant? Or maybe it's because he has two who first eleven teams at his disposal so it doesn't much matter who he rotates in given the trillions spent. So many possible reasons for rotating those players rather than the eagerly swallowed crap from MOTD commentators who's job it is to sell this sub-standard league as the best there ever was. Keep drinking it up. If you're telling me players need to be rested because they are wimps, and teams need to rotate because their managers aren't good enough to get 100% out of the players every week then fine. I agree. But if you are pretending it's some great expertise bestowed upon the world by boring old Pep and his GPS vests then prove it. Eliminate all the other possibilities and demonstrate why these girlies need their beauty sleep while machines like Butcher and Keown, Bremner and Shearer could just keep bashing it out at 100mph.