PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Window Reaction & Season Predictions

Maestro
31-08-2011, 08:22 PM
As we draw to the close of the window with a mixed bag of signings made, what is your overall reaction to the clubs'/manager's transfer dealings. Furthermore where does this see us in terms of your predicted season's performance.

Personally I think by failing to sign a direct rereplacement for Fabregas and failure to add real steel to our midfield and striking positions, we have come up short and a raft of the frequent injuries will leave us back in trouble. Basically our tranfer dealings will see us fall behind the other top rival team. We are short in quality big time.

I figure we are out of the top 4 for sure, and we are fighting for a top 7 finish.

Ironing
31-08-2011, 08:27 PM
I'll react in about 1.5 hours

See you then

Niall_Quinn
31-08-2011, 08:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

Maestro
31-08-2011, 09:08 PM
:haha:

52 minutes to go, Arteta and Yossi on the wire

AKBapologist
31-08-2011, 09:09 PM
super quality

Maestro
31-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah, in the mode of Silvestre, Eboue, Denilson, Kos, Squid, Manuel, Chamakh, Bendtner, .....

super quality

milla
31-08-2011, 09:27 PM
:haha:

52 minutes to go, Arteta and Yossi on the wire

Arteta is OKish but Yossi? wtf? Alex Hleb is million times better, in fact Id take any CMs from reserve over Yossi. :banghead:

GP
31-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Gervinho
Mertesacker
Benayoun
Arteta
Park
Santos
Oxtail-Chambermaid
Jenkinson

Not too shabby

Maestro
31-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Arteta is OKish but Yossi? wtf? Alex Hleb is million times better, in fact Id take any CMs from reserve over Yossi. :banghead:

Well they are both here now, and i guess it's better than signing nobody. Tough season ahead lets hope the team and manager give everything now. We are stuck with them now.

Letters
31-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Bit of a last minute scramble but fairly happy with how the last couple of days have gone.
We'll need to wait a while to see how the players slot in but could give the squad a much needed lift.

Ironing
31-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I'll react in about 1.5 hours

See you then

Good clearout - most important thing of all. Got rid of a load of shit. Cesc was inevitable. Nasri unfortunate, but less important than cesc, he was an inconsistent performer and we got good money.

Can't really comment on the incomings but first impression is I'm underwhelmed.

Too little too late

At one point it was Hazard / M'villa...

Cahill / Bolton (whoever fucked the deal up) are morons. Both set to lose out now

Overall pretty shambolic, like our start to the season

Syn
31-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Well...5 new players in the last couple of days who will go straight into the team. Certainly hoping for a change in style of play. Interested to see how park and santos get on.

Marc Overmars
31-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Helluva turnover of players.

Don't know what to expect really.

Lets wait and see, at least we have something to look forward to now.

Kano
31-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Samir Nasri £24m
Cesc Fabregas £35m
Gael Clichy £7m
Eboue 4m
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas 1.1m
71m

Gervinho 10m
Alex Oxlade Chamberlain £12m
Santos 6m
Mertesacker 8m
Campbell 1m
Park 2m?
Arteta 10m
49m

A speculative 71m in and 49m out, with deductions from that 22m for salaries etc so not much left over, if i've got those figures right.

no way we could find a ready made replacement for cesc that would hit the ground running, so arteta and yoss are solid replacements for the middle with jack.

full back and centre back are solid too and it should resolve the issues we've had since the start of the season with the gaping holes through the middle of the team.

Asthmatic Kitty
31-08-2011, 10:31 PM
if the arteta deal hadn't gone through it would've been pretty scary how thin our squad is, as it is it's just about acceptable.

i mean m'vila/hazard etc. would've been awesome but i would've been surprised if we'd pulled off any huge coups. we might just scrape 4th with this squad.

Ironing
31-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Samir Nasri £24m
Cesc Fabregas £35m
Gael Clichy £7m
Eboue 4m
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas 1.1m
71m

Gervinho 10m
Alex Oxlade Chamberlain £12m
Santos 6m
Mertesacker 8m
Campbell 1m
Park 2m?
Arteta 10m
49m

A speculative 71m in and 49m out, with deductions from that 22m for salaries etc so not much left over, if i've got those figures right.

no way we could find a ready made replacement for cesc that would hit the ground running, so arteta and yoss are solid replacements for the middle with jack.

full back and centre back are solid too and it should resolve the issues we've had since the start of the season with the gaping holes through the middle of the team.

Er, if you're gonna include salaries, factor in the players that LEFT too...

Coney
31-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Got some solid players which will hopefully provide the experience and resiliance that we need. Let see how the next couple of months go.

Maestro
31-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Got some solid players which will hopefully provide the experience and resiliance that we need. Let see how the next couple of months go.

Fair

Cripps_orig
31-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Bit shit tbh

Grebbo
I was really hoping for a big signing of £20m+

I think we've done quite well given it was the last minute.

Signed lots of experience and the squad is much better now.

It all comes down to the fitness of Arteta and Benayoun.

In conclusion: ok. We were always going to be weaker by selling Cesc and Nasri - there's not many players who can replace them and even fewer that are available and would want to join us.

We have a fighting chance of getting 4th, yesterday we had no chance.

Niall_Quinn
Er, if you're gonna include salaries, factor in the players that LEFT too...

Plus the £35mill we supposedly had to start with. Essentially they've kept the Cesc/ Na$ri cash.

GunnerFan4Life
Wenger may have left it late and MAYBE he could of got the marquee expensive signing but I'm happy with the signings that we made. We got rid of shit and we got in solid players. We may have lost talent through cesc and nasri but we got in EXPERIENCE which is key.

People compared our squad to Man U at some point man for man few years ago and people would say we have more talent than them and the media would critisise us for not having winners/experience but we have now got in experience, we probably couldn't of made the direct cesc replacement but we now have a squad which is acceptable.

Much to look forward too :scarf:

McNamara That Ghost...
31-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Arsenal.com reaction....

404 Not Found
The following error occurred: [code=CONTENT_NOT_PRESENT] Content is temporarily not present. Contact your system administrator.
Could not open error file

:lol:

Letters
31-08-2011, 10:41 PM

Pretty much. This week's business has turned the transfer window from an unmitigated disaster into one which might not be so bad after all. Lots of players to fit in to the squad and it's far from certain how we'll do this season but this week's given me some hope. Let's see where we are at Christmas, by then we'll have some idea.

Niall_Quinn
31-08-2011, 10:41 PM
On the other hand, if Utd hadn't stuffed us it's very possible the suits were going to wing it with no new players coming in. So it could have been a lot worse.

One plus, it will be nice to have a bit of experience on the pitch and hopefully (if Wenger leaves them alone) players who won't bend over at the first hint of pressure. You never know, some of these new signings might encourage the existing squad to man the fuck up and stop being bitch playthings.

Niall_Quinn
31-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Arsenal.com reaction....

Same reaction as the second half on Sunday, 404 Not Found.

Ironing
31-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Also we replaced a lot of yoof with experience and leaders

And signed a player over 6ft

Well done Arsene, maybe he finally gets it?

The Wengerbabies
31-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Not great. We needed significant improvement on last season, we are now weaker.

Mertesacker is the only signing I'm pleased with, Arteta's okay no idea about Santos.

Thing is while Mertesacker is a good signing we needed more then one competent centre half.

As I said Arteta is okay but not a good enough replacement for Cesc/Nasri but I guess we're a mid table team now we have to look at mid table players.

As for Benayoun well thats a complete joke.

Almunia's still around like a shit that won't flush but at least we finally got rid of Bendtner.

The squad is still very week imo.

Syn
31-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Quality would've been nice. I don't think we've done too well (overall) with the signings. Happy about Mertesacker and at least Arteta should be able to hit the ground running. I'm sure Benayoun was brought in simply to prevent Rosicky from getting into the team.

When most teams change half their starting line-up, you'd be worried about the team not gelling/lack of understanding/lack of team spirit etc. We're starting from 0 so we can't actually do any worse. I think the one potential positive is the sheer number of changes; 4/5 new, experienced players (albeit not 'super quality') will have to force a change in the style of play. If it was just one new player (as we have seen in recent seasons), they'd get sucked into playing the way the team currently is. What we have right now is Mertesacker, Arteta, Park, Santos, Gervinho, Benayoun being given a free reign. It could either go very well if they're up for the challenge or very badly if they're just here to enjoy London. Wouldn't want to call it.

Niall_Quinn
31-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Thing is while Mertesacker is a good signing we needed more then one competent centre half.

That's what will come back to haunt us. And if this Korean doesn't work out we're fucked up front too. We're still weak in key areas.

The Wengerbabies
31-08-2011, 10:56 PM
That's what will come back to haunt us. And if this Korean doesn't work out we're fucked up front too. We're still weak in key areas.

Forgot about the Korean tbh. Yeah Park is probably shit, just brought in to sell shirts on the back of the Asia tour.

Fats
31-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Are we out of the waiting period yet ?

Alex Song Belongs
31-08-2011, 10:58 PM
It's been so long since I've seen benayoun play. What's his best position?

Fats
31-08-2011, 10:59 PM

Bench

GP
31-08-2011, 11:00 PM

Accountant.

Maestro
31-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Jeweller

Fats
31-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Can you imagine the songs we can sing to Spurs

We've got our own jew now
We've got our own, we've got our own jew now

selassie
31-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Very underwhelming window but that's Arsenal for ya! The squad was in really poor shape last week, the signings have given us hope but 4th place is the best we can hope for IMHO and right now I would say Liverpool are favourites to finish 4th.

Niall_Quinn
31-08-2011, 11:15 PM

Casualty ward.

Niall_Quinn
31-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Can you imagine the songs we can sing to Spurs

We've got our own, we've got our own jew now

If we've borrowed a Jew, do we have to pay interest on him?

Alex Song Belongs
31-08-2011, 11:31 PM

Chill with that talk, boys

Fats
31-08-2011, 11:48 PM

Whats that my dear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Im a little underwhelmed at the moment, I was genuinely expecting a massive signal of intent from the club with a couple of £20m signings.

But the more I have time to let it all sink in, the more I am coming round to the idea of it not being quite so bad.

Mertesacker is a good buy along with Santos. Im looking forward to seeing what Cream of sum yung gai can do, and I reckon Arteta could turn out to be a quality buy. He hasnt been the player he was when he first turned up at Everton, but it could be the case that he was stagnating there and he may try and up his game now he's here.

Yossi Im really not sure what to make of, but at least its another experienced squad player to have.

The main thing is we now have experienced players in the team, one an international captain, one a confederations cup winner, plenty of leadership and hopefully the spirit and mentality of winners. Im particularly looking forward to seeing Per drag the fucking pussies weve got in the team up on their feet and tell them, in no uncertain terms, to fucking grow a pair and fight to win every game!!!

All in all, not a bad couple of days business tbh.

Cripps_orig
01-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Gervinho - hasn't looked anything special from the little he's played. Juries outJenkinson - shit but expected from a 5th rate playerAOC - :lol:Park - underwhelming signing when someone of genuine quality was needed. Santos - Good attacking wise, we'll see how he goes on defensively. Not my first choice for a LB but let's see how he doesMertesacker - Quality CB. Exactly what we need. Not the fastest but played in the right way and he's awesome.Benayoun - shiteArteta - never rated him highly when he was at his best and he's nowhere near that atm and at 29 its unlikely he'll reach his best again. Overall these signings won't win us any trophies but they saved the club and the board money and that's all that matters tbh.

Mr. Lahey
01-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Only care for the Mertesacker and Gervinho signings really. We will see what Santos is capable of... Arteta, Benayoun, Park etc...typical signings. They will do enough to keep us in the top 4 but thats about it.

Wenger still needs to go, along with the rest of the people in charge. I cant help but notice the tidy profit made this summer. It will be interesting to see where the rest of the cash goes.

hobson's choice
01-09-2011, 02:02 AM
We are now so reliant on injury prone players, I really wanted a real goal scoring striker, not the Park fool, Arteta is good, player but the last two seasons he's picked up injuires, when Gervinho goes to the ANC, will Yossi even be fit, and what about Song, we can't rely on Frimpong, and Coquelin at the crucial point of the season.

I'm really not sure what we have at the moment, Wenger really mismanaged things this summer.

fari
01-09-2011, 02:15 AM
We are now so reliant on injury prone players, I really wanted a real goal scoring striker, not the Park fool, Arteta is good, player but the last two seasons he's picked up injuires, when Gervinho goes to the ANC, will Yossi even be fit, and what about Song, we can't rely on Frimpong, and Coquelin at the crucial point of the season.

I'm really not sure what we have at the moment, Wenger really mismanaged things this summer.

perhaps some jan signings will be made when gerv and chams (shams) go off to the acon

hobson's choice
01-09-2011, 02:42 AM
Honestly I don't really have any qualms with these signings other than Park and Yossi, it's actually a decent team. But a team like this that really doesn't have supreme talent in key spots, needs a manager to really do a great job of coaching em' up.

And that's the problem, Wenger can't coach anybody up, I think we can all it see now, that it was all on the players in the Invincible era.

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Park will be ok, he's the south korea captain and will work his arse off for the team.

Lets just wait and see before we write hm off.

Champagne Charlie
01-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Like a lot of people here, I’m pretty under whelmed. It’s a difficult one really, if you’d handed me that list of In’s and Out’s at the beginning of June I’d have said that’s a stinker of a transfer window! But seeing how weak our squad was on Sunday the last couple of days have seen a big improvement.

Overall, we’re probably a little weaker than we were last season, and we weren’t good enough then! But as Coney and Letters said, let’s wait and see how these new guys bed in over the next couple of months then we can really start to judge where we’re at.

Boss
01-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Fairly underwhelmed with the signings. Happy with Mertesacker and Arteta but those should have been in addition to a couple 20M pound signings, not the main additions.

Don't know much about Santos.

Park is a reasonable buy (judging by reports on him, stats and some YT stuff) but he's not going to make a difference in our season imo. Obviously he's better than that waste of space Chamakh.

imo:

Gervinho < Nasri
Arteta < Fabregas
Santos = Clichy
Jenkinson > Eboue
Park = Bendtner
Benayoun > Vela
Mertesacker > (Djourou + Squillaci + Koscielny + Miquel)

We've weakened the first team a fair bit but on the other hand made the squad stronger. I think Benayoun will either be fucking brilliant or complete shite, hopefully the former. At least we now have a squad where we can attempt to compete for top 4, rather than before where we had no chance at all, but a disappointing summer on the whole yet again given that we banked 20M and really should have added some top quality to the lineup.

Champagne Charlie
01-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Also, and this is probably more of a general musing than a reaction to this specific transfer window, but personally I can’t shake the feeling we’re moving sideways (if not in slight decline) season after season whilst others around us continue to get stronger. It appears (and has done for years with our January transfer spending pattern) that we’re only really willing to spend some big money when finishing outside of the top four is a real possibility. Whether that’s down to AW or the board I don’t know, probably a bit of both, but I just get the feeling that the club as whole is content to just “challenge” for the cups and get champions league football each year.

It’s just so frustrating that the last few summers have mainly seen us replace keys players that we’ve lost with players who have ‘potential’ or aren’t quite as good as the players we lost. Season after season we’re in transition instead of improving on an already strong squad.

gunsofashburtongrove
01-09-2011, 08:11 AM
We are seeing a complete transition close to 24 players sold and loaned from first team and reserves together. We have brought solidity,experience & work ethic and failed to replace the two match winners whom we lost (may be with the exception of Gervinho). The situation in defence has not improved either. We have bought a good defender, but not sure if can organize defense. My opinion is we will be good at the back if Vermalen plays along with Per or Koscielny. I desperately hope that I'am wrong and Per is an organizer. The Korean may not be exciting but he looks an improvement on Chamakh and DB52. Arteta is good passer and will be strater, played regularly last season and didn't look the player he once was though not poor. Benayoun is one of the underrated players and can be a handfull in the final third, but he has been injured for a while. Santos amongst all might be the most exciting signing skillfull, pacy, agressive and good on one on ones. Not sure about other defensive qualities. We'l wait and watch, good chance of finishing top 4 hope the team shows some spirit

Marc Overmars
01-09-2011, 08:19 AM
If these players signal the start of a move away from tippy tappy shite, or at least provide a bit of variation from it, then I think we can do well.

We just have to wait and see really, this turnover of players is unprecedented under Wenger and he can't really expect them all to be as tuned as the likes of Cesc were at this style of play, especially as none of them are kids who can still be moulded. They are experienced players and should be played in the right system to their strengths.

LDG
01-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Some good business IMO, but way too late in the day. Some of the damage that has been done is nothing short of disgraceful, and from board down to manager, I'm thoughroughly pissed off with the laughing stock they've made of our club. So much so, that until they prove to me that the fans actually do matter, and that Arsenal Football Club and it's history matters more than anything else, I won't be attending any matches. They can fuck right off...I'll support the players on the pitch from afar.

As far as transfers go....

We wanted experience, premier league experience, international experience....and we've got it. These are all players that will do a job. Let's not forget the abundent talent of youth we have to blend in with that. It's what we've been calling for, for ages. And we've got it.

Yes, the names aren't the "superstars" we all hoped for, but I don't want any more Nasri's or Cescs thank you. I want players that want to do a job for the club. People who care about matters on the pitch, and not just about "DNA" or "Money" or "Lesbian strap-on competitions".

Nice work. But far too late.

Joker
01-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Underwhelmed tbh. It'll be a struggle to finish 4th this season.

toothless gibbon
01-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Whilst still generally underwhelmed, having slept on it I don't think we've done too badly at all. We do seem to have addressed key deficiencies in the squad and whilst there were no world class "Marquee" signings we also haven't spent THAT much on fees or wages which leaves open the possibility of a January splurge (OK, realise this may be unrealistic based on previous windows but once Lille are out of the CL...)

Arteta
Obviously the most high profile signing, and is what we needed in terms of position, skills and experience. The fact that he took a wage cut speak volumes for his desire to play for us IMO. Maybe he hasn't shown the form recently of his early Everton days but that could be down to getting a bit stale and of course injuries. The latter being a bit of an issue with him but then Arsenal players don't really get injured very often...... Will get a fair few assists for us and takes a good set piece.

Benayoun
Initially a WTF moment but on reflection it could be a decent bit of business - he can spot a pass and has an eye for goal and as a squad player could do a job. Also, PL experienced and International captain. In his West Ham and early Liverpool days he reminded me a LITTLE bit of Pires. Also had his injury problems but it's only a loan after all.

Mertesacker
Pretty sure we've been crying out for a BIG defender and they don't get much bigger. Time will tell how he adapts to the PL but loads of experience and was club captain at a relatively young age. The fact Spurs didn't get Cahill also makes me a lot happier with Mertesacker.

Also, Vermaesacker has decent ring to it.

Chu Young Park
Don't know much about him but another international captain that runs all day, be happy on the bench, cheap so little risk... jury out but can't be worse than Chamakh and Bendtner

Andre Santos
Typical AW full back in that he's probably better going forward than defending but also experienced and considering its unlikely we'll change our tactics much he will get more assists than Clichy ever did whilst being good competition if Gibbs ever stays fit.

Tipsychubbs
01-09-2011, 09:13 AM
It's easy to be underwhelmed that they don't look like superstar signings, but they are solid experienced players which will add to the depth of the squad and help the younger players, which is basically what we were calling for.

It's not like we signed some conference players, there is serious experience there, internationals, captains, Champions league, World Cup, Euros, Copa America experience, players who have been there and done that, and have also won things.

I'll take that for now.

server too busy!
01-09-2011, 11:28 AM
I see it as:Nasri-->Gervinho. I think Nasri being the better player but in the position he's required to play Gervinho will be more effective for us so an improvement.

Fabregas-->Wilshere. Obviously Fabegas has more experience and is the better player atm but I think Wilshere will fill the role well and become just as good. No improvement

Ramsey-->Arteta. Arteta will bring in skill and a good passing range and also take some burden off Wilshere. Improvement

Clichy-->Santos. Looks great going forward but unknown how he is defensively. Should certainly improve end product down the left and add some flair. Clichy wasn't great defensively either so imrpovement.

Squillaci-->Mertsacker. Improvement can't be anything other than and brings height and vast exerience.

Bendtner-->Park. Looks skilful, quick and a hard worker. Improvement

Eboue-->Jenkinson. Not as quick as Eboue but better crosser and more defensively mindeed. Improvement.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2011, 11:36 AM
If Santos can cross a ball and Young can head a ball then we've at least solved one problem that has been killing us.

Coney
01-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Whilst still generally underwhelmed, having slept on it I don't think we've done too badly at all. We do seem to have addressed key deficiencies in the squad and whilst there were no world class "Marquee" signings we also haven't spent THAT much on fees or wages which leaves open the possibility of a January splurge (OK, realise this may be unrealistic based on previous windows but once Lille are out of the CL...)

Arteta
Obviously the most high profile signing, and is what we needed in terms of position, skills and experience. The fact that he took a wage cut speak volumes for his desire to play for us IMO. Maybe he hasn't shown the form recently of his early Everton days but that could be down to getting a bit stale and of course injuries. The latter being a bit of an issue with him but then Arsenal players don't really get injured very often...... Will get a fair few assists for us and takes a good set piece.

Benayoun
Initially a WTF moment but on reflection it could be a decent bit of business - he can spot a pass and has an eye for goal and as a squad player could do a job. Also, PL experienced and International captain. In his West Ham and early Liverpool days he reminded me a LITTLE bit of Pires. Also had his injury problems but it's only a loan after all.

Mertesacker
Pretty sure we've been crying out for a BIG defender and they don't get much bigger. Time will tell how he adapts to the PL but loads of experience and was club captain at a relatively young age. The fact Spurs didn't get Cahill also makes me a lot happier with Mertesacker.

Also, Vermaesacker has decent ring to it.

Chu Young Park
Don't know much about him but another international captain that runs all day, be happy on the bench, cheap so little risk... jury out but can't be worse than Chamakh and Bendtner

Andre Santos
Typical AW full back in that he's probably better going forward than defending but also experienced and considering its unlikely we'll change our tactics much he will get more assists than Clichy ever did whilst being good competition if Gibbs ever stays fit.

:good: I'll go along with that.

hobson's choice
01-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Jenkinson > Eboue

I know it's the cool thing on Arsenal Forums to say how shiit Eboue is, but this is one of the stupidest things i've seen. Just please.

selassie
01-09-2011, 09:38 PM
First XI is weaker IMHO, Squad is bigger but I question whether it's stronger....I dunno.

To Summarise...Central Defence is arguably stronger now that Per has joined, Santos is probably on par with Clichy, Central Midfield is weaker as Fabregas is a major upgrade on Arteta, wings are weaker as Nasri is an upgrade on Gervinho.

Squad wise, right back is weaker, Eboue is a major upgrade on Jenkinson at the moment, Yossi brings experience to Central Midfield & the wings, Frimpong looks like a great emerging talent so we have quite good depth in Central Midfield now, Oxo is a talent so brings a bit of quality to the wings, upfront Park IMHO is at least comparable...maybe even an upgrade on Bendy.

Overall I think we've had quite a poor window but I'll reserve judgement on the new signings until I see them in action.

I feel extremely underwhelmed.

Edinburgh Gooner
01-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Do we need direct replacements fro cesc/nasri? I think we need a total new direction. We wanted pl experience. Well we have it in midfield now. We also have a no nonsense defender, something we have been lacking for the last couple of seasons. Swansea is the start of the season. Ping Pong will be back(?) Gerry and Song still out. Definate start for arteta there and maybe Joshi. As long as Wenger adjusts the tactics to suit the new players, he may havce struck gold.

selassie
02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Do we need direct replacements fro cesc/nasri? I think we need a total new direction. We wanted pl experience. Well we have it in midfield now. We also have a no nonsense defender, something we have been lacking for the last couple of seasons. Swansea is the start of the season. Ping Pong will be back(?) Gerry and Song still out. Definate start for arteta there and maybe Joshi. As long as Wenger adjusts the tactics to suit the new players, he may havce struck gold.

Well we have direct replacements for Cesc & Nasri in Arteta & Benayoun, they are both inferior versions of Cesc & Nasri IMHO.

If we wanted a new direction we would have broken the bank for M'Vila or somebody like that.

Like you say we've added PL experience which is obviously a good thing though I would have personally added it at the back too so we have a core of PL experience running right through the team.

I think if all the new signings gel we can make top 4, but as I see it 4th & decent-ish domestic cup runs is the best we can hope for.

Ironing
02-09-2011, 09:53 AM
They are inferior to Cesc / Nasri for sure, but that doesn't mean they won't be as effective in terms of their contribution. I.e. Arteta isn't as good as Cesc, but he can still create

Given that BENAYOOOOOOON MAN has been given the squad number 30, it's safe to say he's going to be a bit-part player / sub most of the time

LDG
02-09-2011, 10:03 AM
The main thing was to get organised. Nasri made no difference in the run in last year, and we fell apart because we had no leadership, no experience and a bad attitude.

The team may not have the "wow" factor of Cesc and Nasri. But we would all have settled for an organised and efficient team ethos from January in order to grind out the results needed.

At the end of the day, Cesc and Nasri were part and parcel of our downfall last year, and just as much to blame as anybody else.

I don't care that they have gone. All I care about, is getting 11 players on the pitch who will battle, and work as a unit. We still have an abundence of attacking talent, and we will have the ability to score goals, and stand up to anyone....but only if the attitude is right.

These signings will help that. And I'll forsake the "wow" factor for a bit of that thanks. Just hope Wenger plays to their strengths, and doesn't persist with playing players out of position.

selassie
02-09-2011, 10:43 AM
They are inferior to Cesc / Nasri for sure, but that doesn't mean they won't be as effective in terms of their contribution. I.e. Arteta isn't as good as Cesc, but he can still create

Given that BENAYOOOOOOON MAN has been given the squad number 30, it's safe to say he's going to be a bit-part player / sub most of the time

Sure, point taken, also with LDG's post too.

If they can create and graft then they'll definitely add quality to the team.

Syn
02-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Cesc was a liability last season. As long as arteta doesn't backheel the ball to opponents, it's all good.

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Cesc was a liability last season. As long as arteta doesn't backheel the ball to opponents, it's all good.

If he stays fit.

Dog Toffee
02-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Im a little underwhelmed at the moment, I was genuinely expecting a massive signal of intent from the club with a couple of £20m signings.

Yeah right.

I'm happy with the fact we've signed so many players, it will give those that are already here the kick up the anus they need. (Arshavin, Rosicky, Koscilny..)

A Mertesacker/Vermaelen CB partnership excites me. Sol never had much pace but the little and large of Toure/Sol won us many trophies so it could work again.

All in all the signings give us a huge strength in depth we havent had for ages which is great- The season starts now....

Kaiser
02-09-2011, 02:22 PM
From what I remember Sol was pretty quick, even in his last stint with us, but obviously not Theo-esque or anything on that level. He's built like Christian Vieri, someone so beastly couldn't be pacy forever.

Özim
02-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Campbell was always very quick, not only was he a great defender as well but his speed allowed him to get back at attackers even if past him.

Mertesacker has no pace at all and from what has been written he's not much of a leader either.

They wanted to call him Motorsacker, but then they realised he was slower than a tortoise in slow motion.

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Djourou insisted: "I can assure you I was able to sleep after the defeat. My morale is good and I have a smile on my face.

"It was everybody's fault. We were not good and Manchester United were a class above us.

"Mertesacker's arrival may mean direct competition for me.

"But I am used to it — it does not frighten me."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3789714/Johan-Djourou-not-frightened-by-Per-Mertesackers-arrival.html

Good to see the lad is in high spirits after his shocking non-performance that he apparently takes no personal responsibility for. Let's just hope Mertesacker stays fit, eh? Barge or not you have to assume he has bags more character than JD.

Cripps_orig
02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Mertesacker isnt the quickest. We all know that.

Hes a bloody good defender though and thats all that matters

Özim
02-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Hes a bloody good defender though and thats all that matters
That's a matter of opinion, never thought he was that good there's a few others who've said the same.

Cripps_orig
02-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Well hes been awesome at the highest level for a number of years.

Everyone saw how good he was at the last 2 World Cups and 08 Euros

Hit a bit of a rut at Bremen but Cesc did the same here and no one would say hes shit. Cunt yes, shit no

Master Splinter
02-09-2011, 03:32 PM
The main thing was to get organised. Nasri made no difference in the run in last year, and we fell apart because we had no leadership, no experience and a bad attitude.

The team may not have the "wow" factor of Cesc and Nasri. But we would all have settled for an organised and efficient team ethos from January in order to grind out the results needed.

At the end of the day, Cesc and Nasri were part and parcel of our downfall last year, and just as much to blame as anybody else.

I don't care that they have gone. All I care about, is getting 11 players on the pitch who will battle, and work as a unit. We still have an abundence of attacking talent, and we will have the ability to score goals, and stand up to anyone....but only if the attitude is right.

These signings will help that. And I'll forsake the "wow" factor for a bit of that thanks. Just hope Wenger plays to their strengths, and doesn't persist with playing players out of position.

Great post, Jezza.

Darth Vela
02-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Well hes been awesome at the highest level for a number of years.

Everyone saw how good he was at the last 2 World Cups and 08 Euros

Hit a bit of a rut at Bremen but Cesc did the same here and no one would say hes shit. Cunt yes, shit no

Exactly, plus if the guys around him are organised (and hopefully he'll help with that on the pitch) then it's not that big a deal, Terry is pretty slow these days but still a damn good defender and despite our higher line the players around account for the success of a defence as well as the personnel.

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Exactly, plus if the guys around him are organised (and hopefully he'll help with that on the pitch) then it's not that big a deal, Terry is pretty slow these days but still a damn good defender and despite our higher line the players around account for the success of a defence as well as the personnel.

Terry has a free pass to kick the shit out of anyone he wants. Merts will get a red card for defending like Terry.

Master Splinter
02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
If mobile players like Frimpong and Coquelin (and Ramsey and Wilshere of course) are playing in midfield, then our CBs will be more protected.

If we have Song and Diaby playing in front Mertesacker and say, Drunk Djourou, well then :ilt:.

Darth Vela
02-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Terry has a free pass to kick the shit out of anyone he wants. Merts will get a red card for defending like Terry.

True, Terry does have the Lionheart advantage but he's still a damn good defender, Mertesacker can make up for kicking the shit out of people by just staring at them and easing them off the ball.

Darth Vela
02-09-2011, 03:58 PM
If mobile players like Frimpong and Coquelin (and Ramsey and Wilshere of course) are playing in midfield, then our CBs will be more protected.

If we have Song and Diaby playing in front Mertesacker and say, Drunk Djourou, well then :ilt:.

If Drunk Djourou is playing we're in trouble even if he'd had Fabio Maldadamsbauer besides him, he's been recently playing in the mould of all the great attacking midfielders; creating space for him and everyone around him, leading to plentiful goalscoring opportunities.