PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of the last few days?

fakeyank
01-09-2011, 12:02 AM
So whats GW's opinion about AW since the defeat by AW?

Did he actually have money from the board and not spend?

Did the board restrict him from spending?

Other factors?

My personal opinion is that the 8-2 defeat is THE single best thing to have happened to AFC in the last 6 seasons. AW was blinkered by his youth policy and win by it. I do not for one second think the board was restricting him rather the man himself creating this mess. The 8-2 defeat just showed him how weak his policy was and how much football has changed.
I hope for the sake of every fan that Arsene has turned the corner and got himself back to the Arsene of 96-2004. It was painful seeing him taint his legacy one season at a time. I personally think we shouldve signed better players and signed them way earlier into the season but for once, I am going to cut Arsene slack and see how he does..

:scarf:

AKBapologist
01-09-2011, 12:04 AM
We made a £12mill profit this summer. :coffee:

Syn
01-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Vinger is building a team for the current. Signing 5 players over 25/26 years old, national captains, club captains, is a clear sign that he is looking for a quick impact. But I also think, overall, we should have done better in the window. It was good panic-buying but we shouldn't have been in this position.

Anyway, wenger hasn't done anything to make me think he is the right man in charge just yet. If the experienced players are able to take control and build a resilient team with a different style of play, then I will think differently.

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2011, 12:15 AM
So whats GW's opinion about AW since the defeat by AW?

Did he actually have money from the board and not spend?

Did the board restrict him from spending?

Other factors?

My personal opinion is that the 8-2 defeat is THE single best thing to have happened to AFC in the last 6 seasons. AW was blinkered by his youth policy and win by it. I do not for one second think the board was restricting him rather the man himself creating this mess. The 8-2 defeat just showed him how weak his policy was and how much football has changed.
I hope for the sake of every fan that Arsene has turned the corner and got himself back to the Arsene of 96-2004. It was painful seeing him taint his legacy one season at a time. I personally think we shouldve signed better players and signed them way earlier into the season but for once, I am going to cut Arsene slack and see how he does..

:scarf:

I would agree with that tbh.

Lets face it, no one could have predicted that we would have 5 new players in the squad on top of the ones we had already signed, and all over the age of 25 with plenty of experience!

Very un-wenger like tbf.

Hopefully we should also see a different playing style with more direct attacking and............wait for it.............

Actual shooting at goal!!!!!!!

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Vinger is building a team for the current. Signing 5 players over 25/26 years old, national captains, club captains, is a clear sign that he is looking for a quick impact. But I also think, overall, we should have done better in the window. It was good panic-buying but we shouldn't have been in this position.

Anyway, wenger hasn't done anything to make me think he is the right man in charge just yet. If the experienced players are able to take control and build a resilient team with a different style of play, then I will think differently.

Again I agree.

There is still work to be done on wengers part.

Syn
01-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Also signs of a small change that he bought 5 players where none are French speaking. Losing a few of the French boys (nasri, clichy) as well. Might be good to break up that French core and start again.

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2011, 12:27 AM
:gp:

No more of that pooftah french talk :good:

Also, as much as I dont like bendtner, I am now hoping that this loan deal pays off for him at sunderland and he becomes a better player.

If he can start to walk the walk then I would gladly welcome him back to arsenal next season.

If not then he can fuck off permanently.

Letters
01-09-2011, 09:11 AM
I don't know what to make of Sunday's result. Was it Wenger sending a message to the board that we aren't strong enough by a distance and we HAVE to get some players in (if the board were the sticking point)? Or was it the thing that made HIM realise that (although I struggle to believe that he couldn't see what everyone on here, all the journalists and every Gooner in the sodding world could see).

Tbh it doesn't really matter. If it's the thing which spurred us into action then great. We should have had this all sorted out in June but better late than never. We've got an international CB, a LB I don't know much about but seems highly rated, two established PL midfielders and that Korean fella who, being cynical, is probably here to sell shirts in that region but is a decent player by all accounts. We've strengthened in all the areas we needed to (maybe not in comparison to last season, given we've lost Nasri and Cesc, but relative to the shambles on Sunday) and that can only be a good thing.

Fats
01-09-2011, 09:30 AM
It's been emotional

Project youth is finally over

Boss
01-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Will be interesting to read Wenger's autobiography when he retires.

Letters
01-09-2011, 09:48 AM

I'd LOVE to know what's going on in the club right now and maybe one day he'll tell us all. Will be interesting reading.

toothless gibbon
01-09-2011, 09:59 AM
We made a £12mill profit this summer. :coffee:

Is that all?!?

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Is that all?!?

We've made more than that I'm sure. Wages off the books compared to wages coming on, there must be a tidy profit there too.

Coney
01-09-2011, 12:05 PM
We've made more than that I'm sure. Wages off the books compared to wages coming on, there must be a tidy profit there too.

Yeah - must be as we sold 80-90 million and only bought about 30?

Coney
01-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Also, as much as I dont like bendtner, I am now hoping that this loan deal pays off for him at sunderland and he becomes a better player.

If he can start to walk the walk then I would gladly welcome him back to arsenal next season.

If not then he can fuck off permanently.

Agreed. Now if we look at Bent the other year who went to Sunderland and started scoring loads, being their main striker. If Bendtner can do the Bent thing, get some confidence and practice at doing the striker thing - i.e. putting the bloody ball in the bloody net - then he might be a better player for us after the loan period. I think in front of goal he has been his own worst enemy, snatching at shots as he seems over-anxious. It seems like the confidence factor that the 'great' strikers overcome - it is self-fullfilling in that if you think you are going to score because you usually do, you shoot better and therefore score... etc.

Özim
01-09-2011, 12:28 PM
It will be filled with spirit and togetherness.

Japan Shaking All Over
01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I believe that Sunday saw the death of something. . . apart the the gang bang that was inflicted on us on the pitch. . .
Wengers body language showed it all, he knew what he had after all the departures/needless suspensions wasn't enough as was his ideology
his reaction was swiftish. . .I think there were a few heart in mouths last night but overall he did OK.
Now we need to see how we play, woth Cesc and Nas we won games, scored goals but let them on too. . .we also lacked mental strength in the down the stretch and failed to be able to close games.
We may not have replaced the individual talent of the Cesc/Nas duo but we have gone some ways to becoming a team with I hope a stronger mental strength and maybe a pacier more direct style of play.

I for one will be getting behing Wenger and the team and hope to see us put the start behind us, would love to see Bould in the fold, maybe helping out with defense
can see us going back in the market in Jan. . .Obi anyone?
and hope both loans work out, Nics and Yossi. . . .he could very well be the surprise of the bunch or . . . Lets wait and see

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2011, 12:51 PM
He's got a week to win a trophy. If not, Wenger out.

Japan Shaking All Over
01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
just think if he had acted sooner the Emirates and Lesbo-n cups could have been ours!

fakeyank
01-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Agreed. Now if we look at Bent the other year who went to Sunderland and started scoring loads, being their main striker. If Bendtner can do the Bent thing, get some confidence and practice at doing the striker thing - i.e. putting the bloody ball in the bloody net - then he might be a better player for us after the loan period. I think in front of goal he has been his own worst enemy, snatching at shots as he seems over-anxious. It seems like the confidence factor that the 'great' strikers overcome - it is self-fullfilling in that if you think you are going to score because you usually do, you shoot better and therefore score... etc.

I rate Bendy very highly and I think along with another striker beside him, he will be scoring 15+ every season. I can see him having a very good season with Sunderland... sad part is that no matter how good he does, when he comes back to Arsenal, he will be played on the right or left of the front three.. I am hoping AW has changed everything about him and that includes his stubborness to stick with 4-3-3 and not switch to 4-4-2 or a more flexible option

Letters
01-09-2011, 03:00 PM
I rate Bendy very highly

You and him both.
Bendy's a decent player but he doesn't help himself with the bollox he spouts about how brilliant he is.
But yeah, Wenger does play him out of position and that gives him no chance. Wenger seems to tell him to play out wide when he's clearly a target man. Bonkers.
Not convinced he'll make it at the top level but he could do a job somewhere.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Unlike 99.99% of people, Bendy actually had a chance to put some money down on that mouth of his. That one moment vs Barca last year, a good striker scores that and Barcelona maybe go out. Bendtner can't even control it, never mind put it away. That was his moment, when he could prove all the shit he's spouted and step up. He blew it. Now he's playing for me at Sunderland. I might tell Brucie to stick him on the wing for a laugh.

Coney
01-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Unlike 99.99% of people, Bendy actually had a chance to put some money down on that mouth of his. That one moment vs Barca last year, a good striker scores that and Barcelona maybe go out. Bendtner can't even control it, never mind put it away. That was his moment, when he could prove all the shit he's spouted and step up. He blew it. Now he's playing for me at Sunderland. I might tell Brucie to stick him on the wing for a laugh.

It really was the big moment. Knocking out Barca 4-4 on away goals.... that would have been something.

GunnerFan4Life
01-09-2011, 05:43 PM
bendys moment vs barca was the end for me. he's 23 now. ready made placement or hopefully joel campbell will be a star for us.

Letters
01-09-2011, 07:40 PM

notwist
01-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Total panic if you ask me.

And incidentally, why did Wenger give Wellington the boot?

WMUG
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM
He's out on loan, non?

Master Splinter
01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Wellington's on loan at Levante.

notwist
01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Never let the facts get in the way of a cheap joke.

He's out on loan, non?

fakeyank
01-09-2011, 10:10 PM
It really was the big moment. Knocking out Barca 4-4 on away goals.... that would have been something.

With our defense, we wouldve managed to fuck it up!