PDA

View Full Version : Have the fans now officially turned against Wenger?

gunnerrrrr
10-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I am referring to the majority, has Wenger now lost the fans.

6 years without trophies
2 of our very best footballer sold
Boring football - yes you know its shocking
Playing players in wrong positions - Thus alienating the fans and the players
Not spending on quality footballers
Losing 8-2 to our once rivals
Team/Squad worst under Wenger
Highest ticket prices in the land

List could go on

Master Splinter
10-09-2011, 07:28 PM
List could go on

TL;DR.

Cripps_orig
10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Yes

Joker
10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think the majority of fans are against Wenger still. There was a survey done by Yougov that found only 1 in 10 Arsenal supporters want a change of manager:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3803988/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-bashed-in-fans-survey.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Football

Xhaka Can’t
10-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I am wanting a change of Manager, but it is not as if I don't have any doubts over the situation.

Wenger still, despite all the shit we have witnessed over the past few years has not finished below any Manager with less or the same amount of resources at his disposal.

milla
10-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I am wanting a change of Manager, but it is not as if I don't have any doubts over the situation.

Wenger still, despite all the shit we have witnessed over the past few years has not finished below any Manager with less or the same amount of resources at his disposal.

Yeah, I want the change too.. sack the mods and we might see some improvement. :coffee:

AKBapologist
10-09-2011, 08:39 PM
No :coffee:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3803988/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-bashed-in-fans-survey.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/poll/2011/aug/29/arsenal-arsene-wenger-poll

GW's just an echo chamber of a few like minded voices these days.

Fats
10-09-2011, 09:22 PM
More worryingly I think he has lost the team

alexander
10-09-2011, 09:28 PM
once a manager loses the fans, its the beginning of the end.

Marc Overmars
10-09-2011, 09:45 PM
I'd say it's a bit of a loveless marriage. I think most of us are open to the prospect of change now but we still (rightly) worry about life without him, so we're content to keep him because it's the simple option.

fakeyank
10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I think he has lost 60% of the fans. 30% will turn on him after this season when we will be in midtable and the remaining 10% will forever look at his achievements of the past and say he is the be all and end all for Arsenal.

I'll take anyone in his place now.. may be even Redknapp and Gullit! :yikes:

Cripps_orig
10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I'd say it's a bit of a loveless marriage. I think most of us are open to the prospect of change now but we still (rightly) worry about life without him, so we're content to keep him because it's the simple option.

Its all about taking a risk.

Sure we might get worse with another manager but then we might get better.

Right now we're just going one way and Wenger has shown hes not capable of changing it so its time for him to be changed

Özim
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM
He's still got some support but many seem him for what he is, someone who can no longer do the job that's needed.

It's so dissapointing to see us moving backwards and to have seen us go fromt he great side we once were to what we are now.

The football we play is slow and boring, the players play with no pride and never respond after bad results and the manager continuously insults us with deluded shite.

He's turning us into a bit of a joke on top of that, he needs to go, the sooner the better, he's had 6 years on this "pet project" and I'm afraid he's failed miserably to deliver. It's just unfortunate our board are money hungry and not really interested in on the pitch success.

Xhaka Can’t
10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
He has been very successful in delivering what he is paid to deliver.

Now, I don't agree with this, but it is the way it is.

Özim
10-09-2011, 10:40 PM
He has been very successful in delivering what he is paid to deliver.

Now, I don't agree with this, but it is the way it is.
Whilst that's true this is largely built on fan loyalty. Whilst I think it's a good thing for fans to be very loyal and turn up to matches (and complain very little), in our situation it allows the board and manager to do whatever they want and charge whatever they want at the same time.

The only for things to change is to hit them where it hurts, in the pocket unfortunately, they dismiss everything else as comments from "idiots".

Ernesto
11-09-2011, 07:38 AM
On Goonersweb, and many other Arsenal forums, yes.

At games, no. Strangely. You'd expect more, but all you get is murmuring of discontent against Wenger at games, nothing in terms of vehement protest.

Niall_Quinn
11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Wenger won't give us anything. That's the killer. The entertainment has dried up, the goals have dried up, the results are awful, hope of improvement seems to be vanishing too. He could experiment with the formation and tactics to give us a prayer that maybe, perhaps this continuous march into nothing might be averted. But it's that stupid 4-6-0 formation all the time, no matter who we're playing, always played at the same crushingly boring slow pace. There's nothing to get you out of your seat, nothing to make you jump up and clap. That used to be the norm with Arsenal. You'd be purring at the fun of watching such a well oiled machine going through its repertoire (which was varied and lethal) and all of a sudden something new and explosive would happen and you couldn't even remember how you ended up on your knees shouting, "Fucking Yes!" It used to be joyful now it is joyless depression and frustration. Unfortunately Wenger seems happy with it, happy in the sense he believes he's on the threshold of making it all click. We all know he's a million miles away though, it doesn't take a genius to know the direction we're heading or that the 2% is actually 72%

He has to go at the end of this season. This red herring about constant qualification for the CL can only be used as a substitute for good, entertained football for so long. What's it about if it's not about entertainment? Was anyone entertained by that shit yesterday? Can you go a whole season of that shit and be fobbed off at the end by Wenger proclaiming we have secured the right to play the same boring shit in the CL?

The whole board needs to go too, of course. They've had their fucking money so why don't they fuck off now? That will leave the American and the Russian to finally fight it out to decide who's going to do what needs to be done to get this club back to the top. That will include getting rid of Wenger and getting a top replacement (not Owen Coyle FFS). It will also include investing in the club, at least to a level that compensates for the looting that has occurred over the last half decade. And if neither of these guys will do it then the fans have to somehow exert enough leverage to ensure Arsenal is rebuilt as a football club rather than a cash cow for a few greedy pricks and a toy for a deluded and stubborn man who has completely forgotten how to give back to the fans.

Xhaka Can’t
11-09-2011, 11:21 AM
It has been long argued here, that all matches will be sold out, so Wenger and the Board can laugh all the way to the bank regardless of results. I doubt that when people were posting such statements that they ever envisioned just how dire we would become.

Too much more of this style of football with no prospect of change will definitely result in loss of interest to the point that matches will not be sellouts, we will cease to to be a premium corporate hospitality option and our already pitiful commercial revenue stream will dry up.

Özim
11-09-2011, 11:27 AM
It has been long argued here, that all matches will be sold out, so Wenger and the Board can laugh all the way to the bank regardless of results. I doubt that when people were posting such statements that they ever envisioned just how dire we would become.

Too much more of this style of football with no prospect of change will definitely result in loss of interest to the point that matches will not be sellouts, we will cease to to be a premium corporate hospitality option and our already pitiful commercial revenue stream will dry up.
Hasn't happened yet though and things have been pretty awful in recent times. There's still this weird illusion we play great football (this is always mentioned in the media and during matches) and Wenger has many supporters who seem to have no end of patience, so I can't see things changing anytime soon to be honest.

Supporters at other clubs are very vocal when they don't agree with the way things are going, at Arsenal it seems to be be put up and shut up, in fact whenever anyone dares to speak up the board are quick to label them as unreasonable idiots.

Daniele
11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Wenger won't give us anything. That's the killer. The entertainment has dried up, the goals have dried up, the results are awful, hope of improvement seems to be vanishing too. He could experiment with the formation and tactics to give us a prayer that maybe, perhaps this continuous march into nothing might be averted. But it's that stupid 4-6-0 formation all the time, no matter who we're playing, always played at the same crushingly boring slow pace. There's nothing to get you out of your seat, nothing to make you jump up and clap. That used to be the norm with Arsenal. You'd be purring at the fun of watching such a well oiled machine going through its repertoire (which was varied and lethal) and all of a sudden something new and explosive would happen and you couldn't even remember how you ended up on your knees shouting, "Fucking Yes!" It used to be joyful now it is joyless depression and frustration. Unfortunately Wenger seems happy with it, happy in the sense he believes he's on the threshold of making it all click. We all know he's a million miles away though, it doesn't take a genius to know the direction we're heading or that the 2% is actually 72%

He has to go at the end of this season. This red herring about constant qualification for the CL can only be used as a substitute for good, entertained football for so long. What's it about if it's not about entertainment? Was anyone entertained by that shit yesterday? Can you go a whole season of that shit and be fobbed off at the end by Wenger proclaiming we have secured the right to play the same boring shit in the CL?

The whole board needs to go too, of course. They've had their fucking money so why don't they fuck off now? That will leave the American and the Russian to finally fight it out to decide who's going to do what needs to be done to get this club back to the top. That will include getting rid of Wenger and getting a top replacement (not Owen Coyle FFS). It will also include investing in the club, at least to a level that compensates for the looting that has occurred over the last half decade. And if neither of these guys will do it then the fans have to somehow exert enough leverage to ensure Arsenal is rebuilt as a football club rather than a cash cow for a few greedy pricks and a toy for a deluded and stubborn man who has completely forgotten how to give back to the fans.

tbh I wouldn't have put it in better words. Also, this love-affair with Coyle that some of this board have got is beyond understanding. You are right to point it out.

Daniele
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I've backed AW all the time and even last season, when people called for his head I was one of the few who begged to differ saying 'he'll fix it in the summer, he must have seen the wrongs, he'll change'. well, some of you were right and I wasn't.

He dithered in the market then panic-bought when lost 8-2 to Utd. Yesterday's game was a far more reliable test of how crap we are, though. we are relegation candidates and, what is more, we don't have the passion and fighting spirit to be involved in a dog fight.

I'll never insult AW because I rate his footballing culture and all he has done to our beloved Arsenal in the past. But he has to go now.

Xhaka Can’t
11-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Hasn't happened yet though and things have been pretty awful in recent times. There's still this weird illusion we play great football (this is always mentioned in the media and during matches) and Wenger has many supporters who seem to have no end of patience, so I can't see things changing anytime soon to be honest.

Supporters at other clubs are very vocal when they don't agree with the way things are going, at Arsenal it seems to be be put up and shut up, in fact whenever anyone dares to speak up the board are quick to label them as unreasonable idiots.

We only shut up beacause Peter Hill-Wad tells us to.

Seriously though, the decline in quality has gained significant momentum - this will affect demand.

Ironing
11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I've backed AW all the time and even last season, when people called for his head I was one of the few who begged to differ saying 'he'll fix it in the summer, he must have seen the wrongs, he'll change'. well, some of you were right and I wasn't.

He dithered in the market then panic-bought when lost 8-2 to Utd. Yesterday's game was a far more reliable test of how crap we are, though. we are relegation candidates and, what is more, we don't have the passion and fighting spirit to be involved in a dog fight.

I'll never insult AW because I rate his footballing culture and all he has done to our beloved Arsenal in the past. But he has to go now.

We're not relegation candidates FFS

Pull yourself together you mentalist

GP
11-09-2011, 05:33 PM
We're not relegation candidates FFS

Pull yourself together you mentalist

:lol:

The bed wetting is ridiculous tbh

Olivier's xmas twist
11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
He's still got some support but many seem him for what he is, someone who can no longer do the job that's needed.

It's so dissapointing to see us moving backwards and to have seen us go fromt he great side we once were to what we are now.

The football we play is slow and boring, the players play with no pride and never respond after bad results and the manager continuously insults us with deluded shite.

He's turning us into a bit of a joke on top of that, he needs to go, the sooner the better, he's had 6 years on this "pet project" and I'm afraid he's failed miserably to deliver. It's just unfortunate our board are money hungry and not really interested in on the pitch success.

Wrong, He is making himself into a joke not the club.

gunnerrrrr
11-09-2011, 05:45 PM

The bed wetting is ridiculous tbh

you really believe so?

imagine Utd going 6 years without a trophy, losing 8-2 to Arsenal, lets imagine the "support" their fans would provide.

now remember we were once their equals.......

we now find ourselves in this position 5 years after moving to our new "we can compete with the big boys in the transfer market" stadium and if anything we are worse off.

We pay more money as fans then other clubs and we were forced to watch spinless fuckers bottle it game after game.....

Olivier's xmas twist
11-09-2011, 05:48 PM
you really believe so?

imagine Utd going 6 years without a trophy, losing 8-2 to Arsenal, lets imagine the "support" their fans would provide.

now remember we were once their equals.......

we now find ourselves in this position 5 years after moving to our new "we can compete with the big boys in the transfer market" stadium and if anything we are worse off.

We pay more money as fans then other clubs and we were forced to watch spinless fuckers bottle it game after game.....

GP only meant people saying we'd be relegated or near that is silly.

Xhaka Can’t
11-09-2011, 06:08 PM
GP only meant people saying we'd be relegated or near that is silly.

Are you his spokesperson?

You crazy bastard!

Olivier's xmas twist
11-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Are you his spokesperson?

You crazy bastard!

So's your face

GP
11-09-2011, 06:12 PM
So's your face

:haha:

Xhaka Can’t
11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
So's your face

My face would never have released that statement without authorisation from the top.

GP
11-09-2011, 06:16 PM
I'll be consulting my legal team.

Master Splinter
11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I'll be consulting my legal team.

So, your Mum?

GP
11-09-2011, 07:57 PM
So, your Mum?

And yours.

IBK
12-09-2011, 09:47 AM

What an excellent analogy.

IBK
12-09-2011, 09:51 AM

Unfortunately the majority of Arsenal fans aren't vocal, full stop. Swansea fans embarrased us at times on Saturday.

Coney
12-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll be consulting my mum.:crying:

:console:

Coney
12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately the majority of Arsenal fans aren't vocal, full stop. Swansea fans embarrased us at times on Saturday.

Our away fans should be invited to the home games. ;)

I've always thought we need a decent anthem - something like Liverpool have with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' being played just before the kickoff, which the fans join in so come the kick-off there is more of a buzz about the place. We don't have one - well, nothing other than the 'The Wonder of You' but that is shit and does not get the crowd joining in. And not 'Good Od Arsenal' which is embarrassingly bad.

selassie
12-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I rarely go to games these days so can't comment on what is being said in the stands but the general feeling amongst my fellow Gooners at work & on message board is that his time is up.

I personally wanted him gone last summer, right now I'll back him and the team as I'm desperate for us to do well but I don't see things changing anytime soon. In fact, I think we'll decline this season and finish outside the CL places.

Marc Overmars
12-09-2011, 12:51 PM

I've always thought we need a decent anthem - something like Liverpool have with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' being played just before the kickoff, which the fans join in so come the kick-off there is more of a buzz about the place. We don't have one - well, nothing other than the 'The Wonder of You' but that is shit and does not get the crowd joining in. And not 'Good Od Arsenal' which is embarrassingly bad.

We should take a leaf from this guys book...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--CdA8IhE6Q

Niall_Quinn
12-09-2011, 12:57 PM

We have got an anthem...

"Spend some fucking money!"

Cripps_orig
12-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Wonder Of You is pretty good tbh

IBK
12-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Not really my point. My point is that if 55 thousand Arsenal fans are outsung by 5 thousand away fans throughout the game - then our support really is f*cking shit. Red section tried intermittently, but its like singing in a bell jar. If only 1 in 10 fans are prepared to sing up then any chant dies on its arse.

Cripps_orig
12-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I was at the game and i could hardly hear the Swansea fans bar a few times when someone went to take a corner.

Quiet as hell otherwise

Arsenal fans certainly where i was were loud. Always are. The myth that we are too quiet was created only cos Highbury rhymed with library and that myth has continued on to the new stadium.

Always thought it was BS when watching matches on tv and now as a regular match goer i can confirm it is indeed BS

Letters
12-09-2011, 02:07 PM
It's not a myth in the sense that the Arsenal fans are noticably quieter than they were back in the day.
But that's what you get when you market yourself at the middle classes.
And it's certainly not a problem just at Arsenal, I often hear loud and clear on the telly away fans at Anfield singing "where's your famous atmosphere?" and I've heard Old Trafford is pretty quiet a lot of the time too.

Cripps_orig
12-09-2011, 02:13 PM
It's not a myth in the sense that the Arsenal fans are noticably quieter than they were back in the day.
But that's what you get when you market yourself at the middle classes.
And it's certainly not a problem just at Arsenal, I often hear loud and clear on the telly away fans at Anfield singing "where's your famous atmosphere?" and I've heard Old Trafford is pretty quiet a lot of the time too.

This.

We are no worse than Liverpool or Manc fans but you wont hear shit of their fans

Dog Toffee
12-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Back on topic- The fans on GW are all spineless bed-wetters, so yeah they've turned against AW on GW. But hopefully most are sensible thats why no-one else wants him out.

Cripps_orig
12-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Back on topic- The fans on GW are all spineless bed-wetters, so yeah they've turned against AW on GW. But hopefully most are sensible thats why no-one else wants him out.

:doh:

Darth Vela
12-09-2011, 02:30 PM

I don't think you need to be a bedwetter to turn against Wenger though, he has failed with the ultimate aim of his previous team and failure will always bring doubt; I'm willing to give him a little longer as he has changed things around this year but if things don't perk up soon there's pretty much only one way any fingers can point towards when everything seems to be in place except the team actually turning up, when we can't pass the ball as well as promoted teams you can't blame money.

Dog Toffee
12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
After we win the treble this year, ppl will think differently. (Actually they probably wont)

Cripps_orig
12-09-2011, 02:36 PM
After we win the treble this year, ppl will think differently. (Actually they probably wont)

If thats the basis of your argument then theres really no hope for you at all

Dog Toffee
12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
No that was a joke, a crap one, but the basis for most of your insane arguments is no better, the sad thing is your not joking.

Cripps_orig
12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
No that was a joke, a crap one, but the basis for most of your insane arguments is no better, the sad thing is your not joking.

Agreed. Saying Wenger has turned this team to shit is insane and we are in fact as good as we were back in 03/04

:doh:

Marc Overmars
12-09-2011, 02:59 PM
This.

We are no worse than Liverpool or Manc fans but you wont hear shit of their fans

Best home atmosphere is Stoke tbh. Got to hand it to those thugs.

As for the top clubs I think you have to look at the away support which always tends to be more vocal, due to a growing number of day trippers, tourists and people who aren't familiar with the surroundings attending home games.

IBK
12-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I was at the game and i could hardly hear the Swansea fans bar a few times when someone went to take a corner.

Quiet as hell otherwise

Arsenal fans certainly where i was were loud. Always are. The myth that we are too quiet was created only cos Highbury rhymed with library and that myth has continued on to the new stadium.

Always thought it was BS when watching matches on tv and now as a regular match goer i can confirm it is indeed BS

Absolute bollox, mate. Really. The Swansea fans were really loud, and ours only sporadically so. We are significantly quieter than we were at Highbury.

Xhaka Can’t
12-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Absolute bollox, mate. Really. The Swansea fans were really loud, and ours only sporadically so. We are significantly quieter than we were at Highbury.

It really doesn't matter. Our fans at OT sung their fuckin hearts out at OT, they were all you could hear.

And it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the team performance.

IBK
12-09-2011, 03:51 PM
It really doesn't matter. Our fans at OT sung their fuckin hearts out at OT, they were all you could hear.

And it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the team performance.

I guess you are right - but for me going to games is beoming a bit of a flat experience all round.

I_Killed_Kenny
12-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Erm, i like wonder of yuo btw. and i think we could/should make it into our anthem. never been to an away match but do the fans sing that before we play?

regarding if the fans stll trust wenger situation, this is my own take, i am a wengerite but fast losing patience

Tbh maybe weng may need to move on for his own sake. He seems to hav lost his spark at d moment. People can go on about not winning for 6 yrs bt we cudve won 2 carlings n a CL. We were also right there for d league in d last 2 out of 3 seasons. So i wud b more worried if we werent challenging tbh.

But d notion we play wicked football is now wearing thin. We are, quite often, dull. No ideas, no spark, no one to take d game by d scruff of d neck, and that all seems to b a reflection of wenger. Gone are the days we cud b losing 1nil and by the end we hav 5 strikers on d pitch, or when we were winnin 3nil after d 1st 30mins. We hav been found out. End of.

If we dont seem to address that and try to play a different way then i will b worried. The barca lite way is no longer for us as we hav lost cesc n he was vital for d way dat worked.

Even if we dont win anything bt at least look like we r a different team, with new ideas n brand of football i will b happy n will stick by weng. If its same clueless shit over again with worse players than last year then, cant believe am saying it, bt its time for both to move on.

Bring back david dein, sack the board, if the consensus is sell players, get cheap replacements and have nice houses then surely someone must realise that buying good players can actually lead to winning trophies which in turn leads to nice houses, sell stans shares to usmanov n keep weng. That wud b my ideal.

Rant/moan/bleeding heart commentary over.

fakeyank
12-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Our football style has to be one of the most painful things to watch. If you are talking about attacking fast play, teams like Utd, Spurs, City (as of this season), Chelsea, Blackpool (last season), Liverpool play that. We pass all day without any incision.. you look at Utd and think 'wow, that was freaking fast' and you look at us and you feel like stabbing your eyes with a fork. The feeling is worse when you manage to catch a glimpse of the football we played till we moved to the shit 4-3-3 formation.

I_Killed_Kenny
12-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Our football style has to be one of the most painful things to watch. If you are talking about attacking fast play, teams like Utd, Spurs, City (as of this season), Chelsea, Blackpool (last season), Liverpool play that. We pass all day without any incision.. you look at Utd and think 'wow, that was freaking fast' and you look at us and you feel like stabbing your eyes with a fork. The feeling is worse when you manage to catch a glimpse of the football we played till we moved to the shit 4-3-3 formation.

agreed. our play has gone backwards. we may make nice lil patterns but we are not crocheting FFS! we have been left behind at the moment and teams like manu have found the balance, combo of our invincible team with our current (sometimes) pretty football to a devestating affect!

Letters
12-09-2011, 06:07 PM
I saw bits of Utd's game on Sunday and they're scary. The pace the move the ball at is impressive and it's sad 'cos yeah, we used to be like that. We did score loads of goals last year though - only Utd scored more in the league - so the perception that we weren't effective last year doesn't really stack up. This year we've looked very short of ideas though, it's a worry.

I_Killed_Kenny
12-09-2011, 06:08 PM
I saw bits of Utd's game on Sunday and they're scary. The pace the move the ball at is impressive and it's sad 'cos yeah, we used to be like that. We did score loads of goals last year though - only Utd scored more in the league - so the perception that we weren't effective last year doesn't really stack up. This year we've looked very short of ideas though, it's a worry.

we still looked short on ideas last year as well IMO. get to the last 3rd and then seemed like a deer stuck in the headlights

Xhaka Can’t
12-09-2011, 06:31 PM

We wern't effective up front for the second half of the season and that continue right through til the end of the season. Being effective the guts of a year ago and subsequently losing our two most effective players doesn't cut it.

We stopped being effective and that is why we nosedived.

Letters
12-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Dunno. Even in the last 11 games, the real 'collapse' run, we scored 15 goals (for comparison Utd scored 17 goals in their last 11 games - and they scored 4 on the last day, till then we'd out-scored them even during that run) Difference is Utd conceded fewer goals and won most games, we did things like scoring 3 at WHL and not winning.
The problem last year was not, mostly, scoring goals. It was keeping them out at t'other end.
This year we don't even seem to be able to score goals
:(

Olivier's xmas twist
12-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Agreed the problem is we don't have the players like Barca to play 433 thats the problem tbh, at least with 442 we might be able to look decent.

Marc Overmars
12-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Dunno. Even in the last 11 games, the real 'collapse' run, we scored 15 goals (for comparison Utd scored 17 goals in their last 11 games - and they scored 4 on the last day, till then we'd out-scored them even during that run) Difference is Utd conceded fewer goals and won most games, we did things like scoring 3 at WHL and not winning.
The problem last year was not, mostly, scoring goals. It was keeping them out at t'other end.
This year we don't even seem to be able to score goals
:(

On closer inspection though, 10 of those goals came in 4 games. (Spurs, Blackpool,West Brom and the Fulham dead rubber).

So the spread wasn't there and it's because of that inconsistency we fell away. The other 5 came in the form of consolations mostly, so that's 7 games of the collapse we failed to score more than once in and it cost us.

Tipsychubbs
12-09-2011, 08:17 PM
The best way to keep him quiet is for us to attack.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-must-keep-provider-gotze-quiet

AW being as tactically astute as ever. So basically no gameplan in how to organise our defense all over the pitch to cope with him, and by extension their other dangerous players, as long as we attack-attack-attack we should outscore our opponents. Just like we did at Old Trafford. Just like we did at the Nou Camp.

Le Professeur - Master Tactician.

Darth Vela
12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
That really is the best way to keep him quiet though, I'm assuming he'll tell Song to go out there and ignore their attacking midfielder and not press him in midfield at all, that should do the trick.

gunnerrrrr
12-09-2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-must-keep-provider-gotze-quiet

AW being as tactically astute as ever. So basically no gameplan in how to organise our defense all over the pitch to cope with him, and by extension their other dangerous players, as long as we attack-attack-attack we should outscore our opponents. Just like we did at Old Trafford. Just like we did at the Nou Camp.

Guys Wenger is correct, we should attack.....quite literally...get Frimfrong to go in with flying kicks, had-o-kens, uppercuts etc

Arsene knows

Ashburton2006
12-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Three fucking years ago!

Taxi please!!

fakeyank
12-09-2011, 09:53 PM

“He links well with his strikers and is the player we have to keep quiet. The best way to keep him quiet is for us to attack.”

He literally is taking the piss out of Arsenal fans!

AFC Fans :pal:

milla
12-09-2011, 09:55 PM
“He links well with his strikers and is the player we have to keep quiet. The best way to keep him quiet is for us to attack.”

He literally is taking the piss out of Arsenal fans!

AFC Fans :pal:

FY :pal:

Power n Glory
12-09-2011, 09:57 PM

That is classic. As I was reading that, I was thinking we've judged Wenger all wrong, he does give his players instructions to watch certain players and sets up the team accordingly...but then you see that last sentence.

What's the difference between his philosophy for this game and the one we just played against Swansea?

Cripps_orig
12-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Arsène Wenger admits he made an exception to his transfer policy by signing Per Mertesacker.

The German defender, who stands at 6ft 6ins tall, joined Arsenal from Werder Bremen on transfer deadline day to reinforce the manager’s defensive options. Wenger concedes he wouldn’t normally buy a player of the 26-year-old’s physique but believes he adds different qualities to his backline.

Mertesacker impressed on his Arsenal debut against Swansea at the weekend and is expected to continue alongside Laurent Koscielny for Tuesday’s trip to Borussia Dortmund.

“Usually, I look at the quality of the player and not at his size,” he said. “Because we play a more technical game, I choose smaller players.

“But he is a calming presence, he has over 70 caps with Germany so he has experience and people forget he is only 26 years old.

“He must get used to the pace of the game. It is an issue because he was surprised by that but overall he has qualities we need in our team.

“He reads well the game, has good communication with the other players and he knows how important it is to communicate. That will play a big part in our season.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-i-made-an-exception-for-mertesacker

Yeah thats worked well :doh:

fakeyank
12-09-2011, 11:22 PM

That is classic. As I was reading that, I was thinking we've judged Wenger all wrong, he does give his players instructions to watch certain players and sets up the team accordingly...but then you see that last sentence.

What's the difference between his philosophy for this game and the one we just played against Swansea?

:shrug:

Kano
13-09-2011, 12:58 AM
I am referring to the majority, has Wenger now lost the fans.

6 years without trophies
2 of our very best footballer sold
Boring football - yes you know its shocking
Playing players in wrong positions - Thus alienating the fans and the players
Not spending on quality footballers
Losing 8-2 to our once rivals
Team/Squad worst under Wenger
Highest ticket prices in the land

List could go on

when the stadium is less the half full then the fans have officially turned against the manager.

ffs the chelsea fans booed a victory in the first couple of weeks, so reactions to results are more indicative of the world at large than actual football at the moment.