PDA

View Full Version : The next 6 games to define the season?

Flavs
15-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Ok we have been wank so far, shit draw at Toon, home loss to Scummerpool, battered like Fakeyanks rim, at Old Trafford and just about a win at home to Swansea

The next 6 league games..

Blackburn away
Bolton home
Spurs away
Sunderland home
Stoke Home
Chelsea away

Not good reading really, bogey team away next and although they are shite, they are adept to beat us at our weak spot, set pieces. Bolton home should win. Sunderland have been a thorn to us the last few seasons, Spurs and Chelsea away will be real tests of character and I don't need to tell you about 4th placed Stoke.

Could be very good times, could be very bad times but certainly a test of character, also mixed in are the CC and the Chumps league.

Thoughts?

McNamara That Ghost...
15-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Blackeye a bogey team? Not really. We win quite often win there - not that I am saying we neccesarily will this time but just that the trepidation might be a little bit misplaced on this occasion.

LDG
15-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Part of the problem has been that the players have the same mentality as lots of the fans.

A bit of positivity, a bit of character, a bit of desire, and we'll do ok. We're still a good team, it's just a team that needs to pick itself up and show some bollocks.

Flavs
15-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Blackeye a bogey team? Not really. We win quite often win there - not that I am saying we neccesarily will this time but just that the trepidation might be a little bit misplaced on this occasion.

I still think their strengths are our fundamental weaknesses bud. Can see it being a long and painful 90 minutes on Saturday dinner time.

I do hope however that Chelsea beat manyoo on Sunday, not because i think we will challenge for title just because i dont want them to go unbeaten

LDG
15-09-2011, 09:45 AM
I still think their strengths are our fundamental weaknesses bud. Can see it being a long and painful 90 minutes on Saturday dinner time.

I do hope however that Chelsea beat manyoo on Sunday, not because i think we will challenge for title just because i dont want them to go unbeaten

They may be a very good team. But there are plenty of other good teams around. They'll lose a few this year....

Flavs
15-09-2011, 09:46 AM
They may be a very good team. But there are plenty of other good teams around. They'll lose a few this year....

:pray:

McNamara That Ghost...
15-09-2011, 09:49 AM

I think it's vica-versa. Theo or Gervinho against Salgado? That's not going to be pretty. Anyway, our weaknesses this season have not been set-piece based.

Flavs
15-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I think it's vica-versa. Theo or Gervinho against Salgado? That's not going to be pretty. Anyway, our weaknesses this season have not been set-piece based.

Weirdly he has been their best player so far this season, i know that's not much of an achievement. They played well against fulham and i dont like the thought of Hoilett up against Gibbs. Dann will have a point to prove as well and word is the Venkys are coming to watch as well so it could be an odd day.

As Arseblog says this morning we need to approach every game like we did the dortmund one and not revert to our usual arrogant belief we will win at a canter.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Won't Hoilett be out? Schwarzer gave him a fair whack on Sunday.

Flavs
15-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Won't Hoilett be out? Schwarzer gave him a fair whack on Sunday.
Oh shit yeah i forgot about that. proper puke moment that.

Oh well we might well win this then, the other problem they have is the only decent striker they have is about 2 stone overweight, and hard as Formica and Rochina are trying they aren't ready yet.

Happier now :)

Joker
15-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Their fans are planning a protest against their manager before the game, so it'll be a tense atmosphere which could work to our advantage. Moreover, the owners being there may work against them, as they could receive some booing for the way they sacked Allardyce. They're not a happy club at the moment, so we're facing them at a good time.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-09-2011, 10:27 AM
not at all.
chelsea fucked up a large part of the middle of their season and still finished 2nd.

it's not about the journey, it's about the destination.

finishing strong is more important than starting well. people thought chelsea were going to walk the league after 5 games last season and look what happened.

selassie
15-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Ok we have been wank so far, shit draw at Toon, home loss to Scummerpool, battered like Fakeyanks rim, at Old Trafford and just about a win at home to Swansea

Blackburn away
Bolton home
Spurs away
Sunderland home
Stoke Home
Chelsea away

Not good reading really, bogey team away next and although they are shite, they are adept to beat us at our weak spot, set pieces. Bolton home should win. Sunderland have been a thorn to us the last few seasons, Spurs and Chelsea away will be real tests of character and I don't need to tell you about 4th placed Stoke.

Could be very good times, could be very bad times but certainly a test of character, also mixed in are the CC and the Chumps league.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I think we should win all of the home games, it won't be easy but I'm confident we can pick up 3 wins there. Away from home is a different matter...I think we'll probably draw tomorrow and lose at Spurs & Chelsea. :(

I have pretty much zero confidence in this team beating a rival/top 6 side.

Flavs
15-09-2011, 11:26 AM
oh and also....Adebayor will be playing for Spurs :(

Syn
15-09-2011, 11:33 AM

:lol: he had joined the spuds?! Does he have no self-respect? Or does he not realise what the fans used to sing about him. Fucking idiot.

Flavs
15-09-2011, 11:35 AM
:lol: he had joined the spuds?! Does he have no self-respect? Or does he not realise what the fans used to sing about him. Fucking idiot.

Season long loan mate, he scored on his debut against Wolves as well.

Syn
15-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Season long loan mate, he scored on his debut against Wolves as well.

Ah, cheers.

Well that's how it usually works. Starts off awesome and then his cancerous influence spreads through the squad. Bench player by December.

Flavs
15-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Ah, cheers.

Well that's how it usually works. Starts off awesome and then his cancerous influence spreads through the squad. Bench player by December.

Well i doubt when :arry: sold Keane and Crouch Ade was his top target

Syn
15-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Well i doubt when :arry: sold Keane and Crouch Ade was his top target

It was probably Rooney. Or messi. Being realistic isn't one of twitchy's strong points.

Flavs
15-09-2011, 11:48 AM
It was probably Rooney. Or messi. Being realistic isn't one of twitchy's strong points.

Think he wanted forlan or Klose sadly both had to make tough choices as Spurs are quite the european superstar side now. Forlan went to Inter and Klose to Lazio in the end...

Coney
15-09-2011, 12:04 PM

He gets my goat.

dazthegooner
15-09-2011, 01:21 PM
He gets my goat.

Probably Mutton!

Fats
15-09-2011, 01:51 PM
I think im at a point when I dont hold a lot of hope or care

Japan Shaking All Over
15-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Can see us doing well with those games especially the ones at home. . . .my hope is this that we catch a wind and sail thriugh the games, with Chelsea being a very severe litmus test, sorry I always say we will beat Scum, Stoke are always pricks to play but Sunderland and Blackburn dont seem to have their shit togethet

You got a goat Coney?

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Blackburn away
Bolton home
Spurs away
Sunderland home
Stoke Home
Chelsea away

Thoughts?

Hopefully it won't come down to a test of character because we're fucked if it does. A lot will also depend on when RvP starts his injury period.

Ollie the Optimist
15-09-2011, 03:55 PM
if we come out of this with more then 12 points i will be amazed and delighted.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2011, 03:56 PM
As Arseblog says this morning we need to approach every game like we did the dortmund one and not revert to our usual arrogant belief we will win at a canter.

Can't see Arsene staying in the stands if he's not forced to.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Part of the problem has been that the players have the same mentality as lots of the fans.

We swerve off the road when getting an insulting £5Kpw pay rise?

Coney
15-09-2011, 04:10 PM
You got a goat Coney?

No - Adebayor took it. :(

fakeyank
15-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I cant see us picking up more than 5 points from that entire schedule tbh.. :coffee:

Cripps_orig
15-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Should beat Bolton although we should have beaten them at the end of last season as well when they were in awful form and they kicked our butts so not expecting much here.

If Sunderland are still as shite as they are now when we play them then there could be a surprise and i think we may manage a point.

Losses to Spuds and Chelsea are certanties. Do Stoke have a European game before we face them? Hope so.

All in all, id say 2 points is possible. Maybe 3 if Stoke are too tired out and we can hold them to a draw.

Xhaka Can’t
15-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I reckon we'll get between 5 and 9 points. Anything greater than 9 would show progress from the depths we have sunk to.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Only lost one of those games last season and picked up 11 points.

Should have won at Spurs and beaten Sunderland at home though.

We'll lose 2-0 at Chelsea with Drogba scoring and we'll have most of the posession and Wenger will say we are unlucky blah blah blah as has been the case at the Bridge last few seasons.

Marc Overmars
15-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Ah, the infamous next 6 games thread is back!

The only thing consistent about us is our inconsistency, so expect a mixed bag of results as usual.

GP
15-09-2011, 06:01 PM
18 points.

Flavs
16-09-2011, 08:22 AM
win
win
draw
win
win
loss

:good:

Özim
16-09-2011, 08:27 AM
The next 6 games won't define our season, that's already defined.

We'll win nothing this year and may even struggle to snatch 4th place, all in all an average season which we can only hope will be *******s last!

Joker
16-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Blackburn away: 2-2 draw, conceding a late equaliser at the end. Wenger complains about heavy handed tactics by Blackburn, claiming "what we saw out there was not football".

Bolton home 1-0 win, with an offside goal scored by Chu. Wenger claims this result shows we've turned the corner and are back in form. "Patience is a sign of intelligence you know, and having shown patience we're able to reap the rewards now. I did not see the incident (the goal) but you have to respect the rules you know, if the linesman doesn't give offside, then you accept that"

Spurs away 2-1 defeat, with Adebayor scoring the winning goal. Wenger: "We played a little bit with the handbrake you know. We also lacked a little bit sharpness in the final third, and that will come with more games. I thought on the whole we deserved to win this game, Spurs didn't threaten our goal and we kept a lot of possession. This is an anomalous result which won't happen against this season"

Sunderland home 0-0 bore draw. Wenger will complain about Sunderland playing 10 men behind the ball: "It is difficult you know, to play a side that is not interested in playing football, only defending. How can you expect us to do anything when the other team doesn't want to concede? You have to respect your opponents you know, if they don't want to lose we can't make them lose"

Stoke Home 1-0 defeat after they score from a long throw. Wenger will whine about long ball tactics: "I think the long throw should be banned you know, it's not in the spirit of the game. I do not consider this a defeat, because we conceded the goal in unnatural circumstances that go against natural law. However, the average age of the team out there was only 22, so we're a young team and we'll learn from this setback."

Chelsea away 2-0 Drogba double. Wenger is bemused by our shite start to the season. "It is strange, you know, that we're in the relegation zone, because we've dominated most of the games this season. I think this season we've lacked a little bit of luck and sharpness in both penalty areas. Chelsea hardly threatened today, and their two goals came in periods of the game when we didn't think we'd concede. We have lost the game today, but I can't understand how that has happened. I will have to watch the DVD tonight and get back to you. Overall we are a young squad, with exceptional potential and great mental strength. I am convinced that we will bounce back from this disappointment stronger and more united."

IBK
16-09-2011, 10:03 AM
I've lost count of how many times our season/manager has been about to be defined by the next few games...and we always end up being defined as shitty bottlers.

Seaman's Ponytail
16-09-2011, 10:54 AM
We'll lose 2-0 at Chelsea with Drogba scoring and we'll have most of the posession

Have you not seen us play this season? The days of us dominating possession against anyone are gone fella. Except it and move on. That said i still think 10 points from these games is an achievable target. Blackburn won't trouble us. The days of them lumping it forward for Samba to outjump Flapanski and Squid are also gone. God bless Merts and Chez i say :bow:

Flavs
16-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I reckon we'll get between 5 and 9 points. Anything greater than 9 would show progress from the depths we have sunk to.

The depths of being the 4th best team in the league?

Xhaka Can’t
16-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah. That is exactly what I meant.

Some muppets may have thought I was referring to our league form since February.

Flavs
16-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah. That is exactly what I meant.

Some muppets may have thought I was referring to our league form since February.

Glad we cleared that up then :good:

Coney
16-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Well they are a bogey team, but only in the sense of resembling something I found in my handkerchief.

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Arsenal have lost only one out of the last 10 meetings between the two sides, winning seven matches in the process.

Best kind of bogey teams tbh.

selassie
18-09-2011, 05:41 PM
On current form I think we're going to get absolutely battered by Sp*rs and Chelsea, it's really sad that we're literally going into both of these games with pretty much no chance of getting anything.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-09-2011, 06:29 PM
On current form I think we're going to get absolutely battered by Sp*rs and Chelsea, it's really sad that we're literally going into both of these games with pretty much no chance of getting anything.

This don't really feel confident playing Chavs and Spuds away we could get battered by both tbh.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-09-2011, 06:42 PM
The next 6 games won't define our season, that's already defined.

We'll win nothing this year and may even struggle to snatch 4th place, all in all an average season which we can only hope will be *******s last!

Who said we will ain anything no one everyone knows where we are,

Cripps_orig
18-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Our next 3 games are all at home albeit in 3 different competitions.

Shrewsbury, Bolton and Olympiaikos

Probably win all 3 and Wenger will say we are back.

Then we have Spuds away and we'll lose heavily there.

Xhaka Can’t
18-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Our next 3 games are all at home albeit in 3 different competitions.

Shrewsbury, Bolton and Olympiaikos

Probably win all 3 and Wenger will say we are back.

Then we have Spuds away and we'll lose heavily there.

That qualifies as a MOC post these days.

Ollie the Optimist
30-10-2011, 10:18 AM
so in these 6 games, we took 12 points out of 18. very happy with that overall

Maestro
30-10-2011, 10:34 AM
And on we go to the next 6

H - WBA
A - NORWICH
H - FULHAM
A - WIGAN
H - EVERTON
A - CITEH

18 points up for grabs, think we'll get 12 or 13 points? What say you?

Ollie the Optimist
30-10-2011, 10:44 AM

H - WBA
A - NORWICH
H - FULHAM
A - WIGAN
H - EVERTON
A - CITEH

better win all the first 5, and a draw with citeh ideally. but i will take 12/13 points happily

Marc Overmars
30-10-2011, 11:19 AM
We won't have an kinder run of fixtures to haul ourselves back into the CL mix.

As usual though, it's probably more realistic to expect a mixed bag of results.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Norwich away is after the international break, so I'm not expecting a particularly fluid performance there.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Norwich away is after the international break, so I'm not expecting a particularly fluid performance there.

as long as we get the 3 points tbh lol

Xhaka Can’t
30-10-2011, 11:49 AM
15 points is doable, 11-13 points is most likely - anything less than 11 will be a major setback.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-10-2011, 11:53 AM
15 points is doable, 11-13 points is most likely - anything less than 11 will be a major setback.

agree, although i think we could beat city tbh, but id take it game by game tbh

GP
30-10-2011, 11:54 AM
If we get 15 I'll be massively impressed.

Niall_Quinn
30-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Potentially great timing for the game against the gypos. Just spent the last month doing what I thought this team wasn't capable of. Can they now put away the weaker sides without fucking up? If yes we go into the gypsy camp with confidence sky high and we have a chance. Please don't let us revert to old ways in the meantime. It's great to see the team brimming with confidence but it can be lost so easily. Just no silly mistakes. Everyone has to keep their concentration. No passengers required. And we've been bloody unlucky with the injuries so far, maybe we're due a change there? When's Jack and Sagna back?

Olivier's xmas twist
30-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Potentially great timing for the game against the gypos. Just spent the last month doing what I thought this team wasn't capable of. Can they now put away the weaker sides without fucking up? If yes we go into the gypsy camp with confidence sky high and we have a chance. Please don't let us revert to old ways in the meantime. It's great to see the team brimming with confidence but it can be lost so easily. Just no silly mistakes. Everyone has to keep their concentration. No passengers required. And we've been bloody unlucky with the injuries so far, maybe we're due a change there? When's Jack and Sagna back?

Both late Jan/ Early Feb.

Diaby should be back in a month or so. And with song not going to the ACON in Jan our midfield won't miss him. unless he gets injured

Japan Shaking All Over
30-10-2011, 02:56 PM
We have the capability to take max points from all of those games but whether we do it or not is another matter.
Our performance yesterday would have made Citeh sit up and take notice andd that of course will,be a big game, TBH I would hope we had at least 12 points by then. . However I think Wigan is also a test, I remember last year snd I also remember Blackburn this!

Wigan are a truely awful team but it is the awful ones we tend to fuck up against. . .when we start to brush those kind of teams aside, not make life difficult for ourselves then I can say we are turning the corner

AKBapologist
30-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Despite, Arsenal's awful start, The Gunners have EXACTLY the same number of points now (16), as from the equivalent fixtures last season.
:coffee:

GP
30-10-2011, 03:38 PM
lol wut?

Cripps_orig
30-10-2011, 06:13 PM

H - WBA
A - NORWICH
H - FULHAM
A - WIGAN
H - EVERTON
A - CITEH

11 points

McNamara That Ghost...
30-10-2011, 06:16 PM

:lol: Interesting.

If we win against WBA, we would've won four in a row - something we didn't manage last season in the league.

Cripps_orig
30-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Considering how embarrassing and humiliating last season was, thats not really a good thing

Xhaka Can’t
30-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Considering how embarrassing and humiliating last season was, thats not really a good thing

It was mainly embarrassing in the last third with the occasional embarrassing cameo scattered within the earlier parts. I am hoping we have turned the corner, I expect setbacks, but I think we are moving in a better direction - just not sure it is the right one if we are to become contenders again.