PDA

View Full Version : When Saturday comes!!

Ashburton2006
16-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Dont know about any of you Guy's, but I no longer look forward to Saturday with the anticipation of the footy!

It is becoming a bit depressing and almost a dread watching or awaiting the results!

In the good old days with Henry, Bergkamp, Ljunburg and the rest of the invincibles, we would be thinking about how many we would win by!

Now, I am thinking that a draw at Blackburn would be a good result.

I have supported Arsenal since 1972, and believe me, I have watched some rubbish! But the enjoyment is being drained from me!
:crying:

Xhaka Can’t
16-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Have you considered suicide?

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Football isnt as enjoyable as it once was. Not just Arsenal but overall.

fakeyank
16-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Dont know about any of you Guy's, but I no longer look forward to Saturday with the anticipation of the footy!

It is becoming a bit depressing and almost a dread watching or awaiting the results!

In the good old days with Henry, Bergkamp, Ljunburg and the rest of the invincibles, we would be thinking about how many we would win by!

I have supported Arsenal since 1972, and believe me, I have watched some rubbish! But the enjoyment is being drained from me!

:gp:

Completely agree with you my friend..

Ashburton2006
16-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Have you considered suicide?

Yes. :crying:

Joker
16-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Our football has become extremely boring and predictable these days. When I watch our games there's no longer that excitement and anticipation, just a weary resignation that it's going to a struggle for 90 minutes.

Fats
16-09-2011, 04:24 PM
I feel more and more detached from the club.

Its been about money for the I dont know how long but it also used to be for pride of wearing the shirt for players.

Sadly them days are gone in most cases. I dont think its only 1 thing but I blame the money the lack of English players and the tv. Its all become a load of bollox to be honest.

The days I spent on the North Bank in my youth are but a distant memory now.

IBK
16-09-2011, 04:41 PM
I agree that football in general has deteriorated in terms of excitement - and we have become more detached from our club. For me - the missing feeling on Saturdays these days is the lack of the excitement that comes from being possible winners. I keep finding myself keeping and eye out for Manure/Chelsea/Citeh results and then remembering they don't realistically matter any more...

Add to this the tension that comes from watching us play, and our declining ability to play attractive football, and yes, it certainly feels different now to 5 years ago...

fakeyank
16-09-2011, 04:47 PM
I agree that football in general has deteriorated in terms of excitement - and we have become more detached from our club. For me - the missing feeling on Saturdays these days is the lack of the excitement that comes from being possible winners. I keep finding myself keeping and eye out for Manure/Chelsea/Citeh results and then remembering they don't realistically matter any more...

Add to this the tension that comes from watching us play, and our declining ability to play attractive football, and yes, it certainly feels different now to 5 years ago...

This.

Japan Shaking All Over
16-09-2011, 05:03 PM
God you guys are dour. . . .just said to the missus that Im looming forward to Saturdays game. . .want to see the newbies with the guys who decided ti put us in a hole gainst Newcastle. . . .

there again when the alternative is to experience another grade 7 earthquake. . .the footie wins

alexander
16-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Maybe its just growing up, but when we used to get beaten, I would be so annoyed that night, but these days, I just dont care that much. Dont get me wrong, I love to see them win, but when they do lose, I dont let it get to me. Most of the players dont care, so why should I.

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Maybe its just growing up, but when we used to get beaten, I would be so annoyed that night, but these days, I just dont care that much. Dont get me wrong, I love to see them win, but when they do lose, I dont let it get to me. Most of the players dont care, so why should I.

This

fakeyank
16-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Completely agree. I remember our previous seasons where I would be deemed unapproachable by friends because I would be in such a foul mood after a loss but now I am much better in taking losses into our stride. Its scary how much lack of positivity is there around the club right now. This can be seen on tv where there are empty seats in the front row and also by the fact that game tickets are going on general sale these days. I remember when I had to beg ppl on GW to find me a match ticket against Chelsea and City.. guess it wouldnt b so much of an issue next time I go for a game.. but then, with the type of football we are playing, I dont think I will be coming to London solely to watch a football game either.

Joker
16-09-2011, 05:55 PM
We're in the age of diminished expectations at Arsenal. Sure, growing up is part of the reason why a lot of fans aren't as bothered when we lose as before, and some of it is due to the fact that many players don't seem to give a damn when we lose (look at Traore against United for example) But I think another obvious reason is that losing these days is just not particularly unexpected. Before, we believed we could win every game, and any defeat was a shock to the system. Now, with Wenger having dismantled our squad over successive seasons and left it threadbare, we're not surprised when we drop points given the lack of quality in the starting XI. This is why so many people are satisfied with a 1-0 win against Swansea and a draw at Dortmund. Our expectations have been significantly lowered due to the actions by the board and the manager, so much so that results which in the past would have been cause for concern are now seen as good ones.

Marc Overmars
16-09-2011, 06:02 PM

It's the change of expectation. A defeat of any kind, used to just plain ruin the following day or 2 for me. I think we only lost 8 league games from 2001-2004, which was staggering really, we were certainly spoilt.

Now I guess losing has just become easier to accept because the team is not that great anymore.

The next 4-5 games are on general sale as well and I've recieved a few emails over the past month trying to lure me in. Shit ain't what it used to be.

fakeyank
16-09-2011, 06:13 PM
We're in the age of diminished expectations at Arsenal. Sure, growing up is part of the reason why a lot of fans aren't as bothered when we lose as before, and some of it is due to the fact that many players don't seem to give a damn when we lose (look at Traore against United for example) But I think another obvious reason is that losing these days is just not particularly unexpected. Before, we believed we could win every game, and any defeat was a shock to the system. Now, with Wenger having dismantled our squad over successive seasons and left it threadbare, we're not surprised when we drop points given the lack of quality in the starting XI. This is why so many people are satisfied with a 1-0 win against Swansea and a draw at Dortmund. Our expectations have been significantly lowered due to the actions by the board and the manager, so much so that results which in the past would have been cause for concern are now seen as good ones.

alexander
16-09-2011, 06:46 PM
It's the change of expectation. A defeat of any kind, used to just plain ruin the following day or 2 for me. I think we only lost 8 league games from 2001-2004, which was staggering really, we were certainly spoilt.

I say this alot when I talk about Arsenal now, I have been spoilt, probably by the greatest Arsenal team I will ever witness. Bit sad.

Coney
16-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Having supported the Arsenal since 1971, I too have seen some frustrating rubbish, However, if we had not had the golden first 10 years of Wenger, most supporters would probably be a lot happier with the last 5 years. After 18 years of disappointment before we won in 1989, the current drought is not long. A manager who regularly got us 4th or better over 5 years would have been considered good before Graham/Wenger. Most other teams have supporters who have to see themselves ending up with bugger all for decades but they still turn up and they still support.

However, I still hope that the team will turn it around. Maybe it won't happen but it won't stop me hoping that it will. Being a supporter sucks sometimes especially after a bad run like this but if you really care about the Arsenal you have to stick with it. Criticise players and/or the manager for reasons - that is OK - but don't ever stop wanting the team to win, wanting it to get better.

Xhaka Can’t
16-09-2011, 08:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OO9LloDSJo

fakeyank
16-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Having supported the Arsenal since 1971, I too have seen some frustrating rubbish, However, if we had not had the golden first 10 years of Wenger, most supporters would probably be a lot happier with the last 5 years. After 18 years of disappointment before we won in 1989, the current drought is not long. A manager who regularly got us 4th or better over 5 years would have been considered good before Graham/Wenger. Most other teams have supporters who have to see themselves ending up with bugger all for decades but they still turn up and they still support.

This is the part of some Arsenal fans I really dislike. Yes, some of you guys have waited forever for us to win trophies but football is a different ball game now. We are not in the 60s where every team in the league had a chance to win the trophy. With the way things are going, the top will remain at the top and then there will be the rest. The way AW is running the club, we will be with the rest and not winning trophies in the near future.
SAF couldve sat on his laurels and retired nicely but that man is a winner. He has won countless trophies for Utd yet you see hunger in that man to go to the next level. The decision is our clubs, do you want to be a 'has been' or become one of the games big players. Unfortunately they want to be a 'has been' and a big player in the 'mortgage industry'... Fuck that! I want a winning mentality running in the club... not middle class 'i will take pay check home and pay bills' mentality... wake up and fuckin smell the coffee. If you are not no.1, you are nothing.

However, I still hope that the team will turn it around. Maybe it won't happen but it won't stop me hoping that it will. Being a supporter sucks sometimes especially after a bad run like this but if you really care about the Arsenal you have to stick with it. Criticise players and/or the manager for reasons - that is OK - but don't ever stop wanting the team to win, wanting it to get better.
I'll be honest and I wanted Arsenal to lose and get out of the CL this season and in fact I was bummed when we qualified. However my sorrows were only for a little while because something even better happened- the 8-2 massacre at OT. Before the game at OT, I felt that we needed a major kick up the arse to change the way we were being run and thought not qualifying for the CL would be that kick but Allah had better plans, he got us qualified and got us massacred at OT. That result was a kick in the arse and it also helped us sign Arteta (on a pay cut), Per and others like Santos and TJ

Ollie the Optimist
16-09-2011, 11:43 PM
during the week if we lose i might not be so fussed about our next game but when the day comes and Arsenal are playing that day, i fucking love it. i love being able to watch the club i love every game, be it at the stadium, pub or stream. sure if we lose i migth not want ot watch the next game but every game i will watch. i love the day, the buildup of it until kick off. whenever arsenal play, i look forward to it always

Xhaka Can’t
17-09-2011, 12:52 AM
I was bummed.

Great.

But why is this in the Arsenal section?

fari
17-09-2011, 02:20 AM
during the week if we lose i might not be so fussed about our next game but when the day comes and Arsenal are playing that day, i fucking love it. i love being able to watch the club i love every game, be it at the stadium, pub or stream. sure if we lose i migth not want ot watch the next game but every game i will watch. i love the day, the buildup of it until kick off. whenever arsenal play, i look forward to it always

yeah that's how i feel too. it's after 10 here as i type this and i can't wait for 7:30 tomorrow morning to watch the game.

fakeyank
17-09-2011, 02:49 AM
Great.

But why is this in the Arsenal section?

Thought what I was going through is very similar to what is happening to AFC, only difference is I am much better!

Japan Shaking All Over
17-09-2011, 08:58 AM

That was beautiful Coney. . . .I would like to invite you to be a nember of GWs very dead poets society. I was still waiting to happen in 1971 but was weened on a diet of 80s Arsenal which was after the 1980 loss to WHU/Paul Allen in the FAC came nowhere near anything till Graham era. Can anyone imagine the pure joy of that night at Anfield, the relief, the sight of seeing Liverpool who shat on most losing their power? It was. . . .like nothing else!

No fault of anybody cos you cant help when you are born but those who have only had Wenger should count themselves very lucky and try to accept that bad times always accompany the good, fuck try being a Citeh fan!
the decline has been painful, and long and for some with evident and obvious flaws. . . .tactis, subsitutions, transfer windows but we are supporters and it is us the club needseven though we feel unappreciated at time. . .we have to srand ip, dust ourselvrd snd scream our fucking voices hoarse for the team. . .I aint as old as Coney but an older than a fair few on GW. . .but I still feel gutted when we lose especually at games like last season Newcastle, I loe awake muttering

I dont consider myself any more of a supporter than any of you, maube I am still to grow up but please dont stop caring. . .the pain of a defeat should hit you as hard as the joy of a win. . .Coney back me up. . .Paul Allen. . .Stein in the LC. . .Rix Euro missed PK. . .hurt but Micky Thomas. . .Wright . . .Invincibles. . .pure joy

Ashburton2006
17-09-2011, 06:59 PM
during the week if we lose i might not be so fussed about our next game but when the day comes and Arsenal are playing that day, i fucking love it. i love being able to watch the club i love every game, be it at the stadium, pub or stream. sure if we lose i migth not want ot watch the next game but every game i will watch. i love the day, the buildup of it until kick off. whenever arsenal play, i look forward to it always Looking forward to the next game? Well I fucking ain't! We will struggle to win five games this season! Championship next year! Wenger you cunt!

Niall_Quinn
17-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Yes. :crying:

It's worth trying anything once and if you don't like it just don't do it again.

Niall_Quinn
17-09-2011, 07:12 PM
We are not in the 60s

WTF? Since when? Why are you talking such crazy shit?

Olivier's xmas twist
17-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Football isnt as enjoyable as it once was. Not just Arsenal but overall.

This, Football is shite in general these days. Maybe its because im getting older so i don't get excited as much unless its like an important game

Olivier's xmas twist
17-09-2011, 08:06 PM

My expectations were lowered because i knew we'd struggle to compete with Barcelona/mancs city or Chavs even if we spent a bundle. I have also felt we have no right to be in the top 4 tbh and will take the season as it comes. i think we'd only get upset if we thought we'd win the league but now we no we have no chance people are not so bothered.

I think we have a chance to get top 4 as pool and spuds will struggle so no too upset.

Same here smashed a few radios in my time and Cried a few times too, But as my old man pointed out to me wh get so angry its not like Arsenal pay me anything or my mortgage. so liek you say if the players who they pay don't get upset why should i when we loose.

Master Splinter
17-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Cried a few times too,

:pal:

Gubby Allen
17-09-2011, 08:40 PM
This club has turned into a real struggle to rouse up any enthusiasm to watch any more. I woke up more excited about settling down for a couple of hours of Ireland Australia in the rugby - bit depressing at the end of it, knowing I now had to endure the shit that was sure to follow - and we didn't let ourselves down, even by our own woeful standards this year.

Xhaka Can’t
18-09-2011, 08:09 AM
This, Football is shite in general these days. Maybe its because im getting older so i don't get excited as much unless its like an important game

Like the 6 pointer at Ewood Park?

selassie
18-09-2011, 09:09 AM

It hurts and frustrates me watching this current team but I'll back them to the bitter end.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Like the 6 pointer at Ewood Park?

If you like lol

Ollie the Optimist
18-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Looking forward to the next game? Well I fucking ain't! We will struggle to win five games this season! Championship next year! Wenger you cunt!

yes i am looking forward to the next game because it means watching the team i love and support. if i didnt, then whats the point of supporting? yes i get pissed off and hate the players etc but when they walk on that pitch i forget it and back them till the end