PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal vs Bolton - Match Reaction

Japan Shaking All Over
24-09-2011, 03:55 PM
3-0

snooze first half
second was better......a win is a win and GD bit lighter

(thought Ach gets this job.....delete if you want!)

Master Splinter
24-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Arsenal :bow:.

RVP :bow:.

super kolo toure
24-09-2011, 03:57 PM
sign rvp up now arsene

Marc Overmars
24-09-2011, 03:58 PM
After the shit served up for many, many games now, 3 goals and a clean sheet is very welcome.

Big test next week at Spurs.

RVP. :bow:

Here's to the next 100.

McNamara That Ghost...
Good win. Well, any win will do actually.

Congrats to RVP on getting to his 100th goal.

Syn
Walcott and Ramsey were really, really, really, really bad. Truly awful. Utter garbage, one might describe their performances. And so were their faces.

Hope Oxo-face gets the nod although Arshavin seems to less dormant than he was last season...so don't mind him starting at the moment. Benayoun is also a better choice.

Good result.

Japan Shaking All Over
24-09-2011, 04:00 PM
yup.......but we can do it

counter pace with pace

Walcott out(?) Oxo time

GP
24-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Excellent performance.

Joker
24-09-2011, 04:01 PM
The scoreline covers up a lot of problems that still exist in this team. The first half was appalling, and we only started dominating after they went down to 10 men. Moreover, we're playing a team that are in dreadful form, so this win is nothing to write home about. Let's see how we respond to playing against Chelsea and Spurs. I'm guessing we'll revert to type in those games.

Niall_Quinn
24-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Nothing new here and no sign of improvement. Bolton pretty much gave up after RvP's first. Any team would have beaten this lot by 3, probably more. We are totally reliant on RvP up front as nobody else has the ability to string two decent games together. Gervinho poor today, Walcott so bad it's hard to find the words. This kid's had his chance and he's delivered nothing. Give that Oxo Cube a chance, he looks like a decent player and why wait around to be treated to another string of fuck-ups from Walcott? Sell him in January while there are still a few who believe he's a decent player.

Hard to judge the defence today because Bolton offered nothing. Arteta was good in the middle, Ramsey continued his run of being awful. Song good one minute, dreadful the next, but a good goal though.

Nothing to suggest we won't struggle badly next time we are up against a decent team. If RvP gets injured we'll be in a relegation battle.

Japan Shaking All Over
24-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Walcott and Ramsey were really, really, really, really bad. Truly awful. Utter garbage, one might describe their performances. And so were their faces.

Hope Oxo-face gets the nod although Arshavin seems to less dormant than he was last season...so don't mind him starting at the moment. Benayoun is also a better choice.

Good result.

Ramsey is not improving with every game.....Benny (fit) should start s should Oxo but that wont happen, Andy to get the nod......I admit he looks livelier but puts zero work in

Kaiser
24-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Shit first half. Better in the second when Ramsey played further up instead of bottling it and shifting responsiblity to no-one. Walcott was terrible as usual - good assist for RVP's 100 though.

Gervinho showed flashes of the player we need but was like Theo wildly inconsistent and poor in his decision-making. Arteta and Song were alright and Mertesacker at the back was very calm and composed. Doesn't like to jump for aerial challenges though, which is worrying.

Lucky the red card came when it did. A very welcome 3-0 win in the end. Olympiakos at home should be a progression from this performance.

Marc Overmars
24-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Not had this Saturday feeling in a long time.

Arsenal. :bow:
For the time being anyway.

Time for a pint tbf.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
24-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Mediocre first half, great second half. Good win with a healthy atmosphere.

Joker
24-09-2011, 04:11 PM
I thought Ramsey improved a lot in the second half tbh, although he was garbage in the first. When he's driving from midfield and playing with energy, he looks a good player. He set up the first goal and it was his pass that led to the red card.

Master Splinter
24-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Arsenal win and we can't even get on to a third page.

Misery :bow:.

fakeyank
24-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Great Win! Looks like title charge is back!

McNamara That Ghost...
24-09-2011, 04:19 PM
It's on!

Marc Overmars
24-09-2011, 04:21 PM
It's on!

Like Donk..

Oh.

Injury Time
24-09-2011, 04:24 PM
It's on!

Fuckin not, now pass me the fucking chocolate and hot water bottle :sulk:

fakeyank
24-09-2011, 04:27 PM
It's on!

COYS!!

Oh sorry.. COYG!

Master Splinter
24-09-2011, 04:34 PM
From Orbinho:

RVP: 100 goals 71 left foot, 23 right foot, 6 headers. 12 outside the box, 88 inside, 12 penalties

:bow:.

fari
24-09-2011, 04:35 PM
good job lads...let's build on this result

fakeyank
24-09-2011, 04:46 PM
AW comments?

RomfordPele
24-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Awful first half, much better in second half (even before red card).Rosicky seemed particularly lively - surely worth the nod in front of Ramsey, who I think needs to rebuild his confidence in the reserves for a while. Walcott laughably bad in first half, slightly better in second half then got injured. It's clearly time to try Oxo, though we all know Wenger will opt for Fatty.

All in all, happy with points, but still worried about North London derby next week.

Dog Toffee
24-09-2011, 04:55 PM

What? Both played well.

Syn
24-09-2011, 04:56 PM
What? Both played well.

I don't think so.

Xhaka Can’t
24-09-2011, 05:22 PM
At half-time I wanted to hang myself.

I wondered where we'd manage to get a goal from. Thankfully, Van Persie came up with a wonderful piece of skill right at the start. Speaking of wonderful, Chesney had bugger all to do today, but he pulled out a top drawer save right at the start of what surely would have become a dark dark dark dismal afternoon.

Speaking of dismal - Theo Walcott.

selassie
24-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Important three points. First half we were garbage, second half a massive improvement.

It worries me we can't seem to play well for 90 minutes though...

Asthmatic Kitty
24-09-2011, 05:28 PM
thought gibbs had a solid game, which is nice to see. he should definitely ahead of santos in the pecking order atm.
arteta played some great through-balls in the first half, cesc-esque!

ramsey was awful 1st half, but seemed better in the 2nd. walcott was awful for all of it. he's having a laugh if he thinks he should be playing up front with finishing like that. if he wasn't injured he should be dropped anyway, even arshavin will do a better job atm, though like most of you i'd like to see oxface given a chance (maybe not on weds though).

rosicky looked pretty good for the short time he had on the pitch, some accurate positive passing instead of ramsey who kept going backwards. think when he's fit he should be in the team at the moment, at least until ramsey finds his form.

would like to see us playing with 2 up front at home against teams that come here to defend, though not sure we have another quality striker. where the fk is park chu young? was he even on the bench today?

Master Splinter
24-09-2011, 05:29 PM
on Theo Walcott's injury...
I don't really know [what is wrong]. I thought it was a classic hamstring but it is not. He felt a sharp pain in his knee and at the moment he is with the doctor. I don't know what the diagnosis will be but it is completely surprising. There was no one near him. I don't know what they will do, whether they will have a scan tonight, I will have to speak to the medical people.'

on a much-needed win...
Yes but you know we will not lose every game like we did at Blackburn. We had 22 shots on goal and we still lost so at the start of this game it was a question of nerves, of patience, of intelligence, and I think we controlled the game well even if Szczesny made a good save at the start of the game. In the second half I could not see Bolton scoring a goal although to their defence they were down to ten men and that made it even more difficult for them.

on Van Persie's emergence as a captain...
I think he is one of these guys who develops with responsibilities. You would think he is not natural at the start but when he has the responsibility he really grows well into the role. I have observed him and he does very well.

on his half-time team talk...
I felt that in the first half we were a bit impatient sometimes, that we didn't move the ball quickly enough, that our midfielders came a bit deep because we were man-marked. That exposed us a bit to counter-attacking and we had less support up front. In the second half, maybe because they were fatigued as well, our midfielders played higher up and we became straight away more dangerous. Bolton lost more balls and after that it was a question of when we would score the second goal. We had plenty of opportunities. It is a deserved win that is welcome for us because we cannot drop many more points.

on the referee playing advantage for the first goal...
I feel that overall he had a good game.

on the nature of Van Persie's captaincy...
He does not talk a lot to the other players because he is not a talker but he speaks his mind.

on whether Inter Milan called him about their manager's job...
I would not say that to you. I think you [the media] were consistent in wanting to get me out and I was consistent in wanting to stay in and to show my commitment to this club. So we have both been consistent.

on lower attendances...
It is linked with a combination of two things. First of all we had disappointing results recently and the second factor is that we are going towards a huge financial crisis which has been already in the society. We will be hit much more and I think football suffers from the consequences as well. You can look at all the clubs in England and the Premier League seats go slower and slower out. The stadiums will be less quickly full and we have noticed that already. We are maybe a special case because we had disappointing results but the other clubs had the same problem.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/39700/wenger-reaction

Wenger :bow:.

Bergkampwonderland10
24-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I thought Ramsey improved a lot in the second half tbh, although he was garbage in the first. When he's driving from midfield and playing with energy, he looks a good player. He set up the first goal and it was his pass that led to the red card.

This:gp:

Japan Shaking All Over
24-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Joker

good post Joker.......I thought Ramsey was better in the second half but he had moments of being off the pace......I think he will get better and we might have to be a bit more patient with this guy but I'm not sure if the task that is in front of us is a bit of a mountain of responsibility for him as are the shoes he is being asked to fill........lets hope he has what it takes

21_GOONER_SALUTE
24-09-2011, 05:50 PM
on lower attendances...
It is linked with a combination of two things. First of all we had disappointing results recently and the second factor is that we are going towards a huge financial crisis which has been already in the society. We will be hit much more and I think football suffers from the consequences as well. You can look at all the clubs in England and the Premier League seats go slower and slower out. The stadiums will be less quickly full and we have noticed that already. We are maybe a special case because we had disappointing results but the other clubs had the same problem.

I think he should have just dismissed it, rolled out silly figures and said thank you to all those that came. He might be losing it but he's still got more balls than 90% of footballdom :bow:

Cripps_orig
24-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Good win

Daniele
24-09-2011, 06:57 PM
today i've seen more rational football. our win was helped by the red card but it was one of our players who caused it. Defensively I think Mertesacker is fine; he does not do much, so he does not do much wrong as Citrus Head Djourou and Koscielny. he has good positioning and he's dependable. he'll never be Tony Adams but at least he's someone who we can rely on.

Ramsey was pants in the fh and got a little better in the second. Walcott is very fast but also one of the least clever player I've ever seen in my own footballing life

Tipsychubbs
24-09-2011, 07:48 PM
good post Joker.......I thought Ramsey was better in the second half but he had moments of being off the pace......I think he will get better and we might have to be a bit more patient with this guy but I'm not sure if the task that is in front of us is a bit of a mountain of responsibility for him as are the shoes he is being asked to fill........lets hope he has what it takes

That's the problem. Before his injury he was starting to establish himself and take more control of games. The injury set him back a year and I honestly think he needed a longer loan at Cardiff, or should be kept to the CC and FA Cup and sub appearances. He is not ready to start again yet, its too big for him at the moment. We should have a Song, Arteta, Rosicky/Benayoun midfield, and if we're short, stick Frimpong and Coquelin in, Ramsey should not be starting, you can see that its too much responsibility for him to handle right now.

fakeyank
24-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Only 9 points behind the pace setters... should be top of the league by December

Ironing
24-09-2011, 08:50 PM
I fell asleep during half time.

Cripps_orig
24-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Just seen our highlights on MoTD and Football First.RVPs goals were very good. Theo is fucking awesome though. Oxface :pal:

Niall_Quinn
24-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Just seen our highlights on MoTD and Football First.RVPs goals were very good. Theo is fucking awesome though. Oxface :pal:

Obviously he was total shit, but he's injured anyway, The guy is made of puff pastry.

Cripps_orig
24-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Well no he wasn't shit but then as seen with other players, if they don't score they are automatically shit which is fine if you want to judge players that way, I'm just a tad more realistic than that. Annoying he's injured which is the major weakness with him otherwise he'd arguably be consistently awesome. Plus we don't know how serious it is.

Thierrymon
25-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Well no he wasn't shit but then as seen with other players, if they don't score they are automatically shit which is fine if you want to judge players that way, I'm just a tad more realistic than that. Annoying he's injured which is the major weakness with him otherwise he'd arguably be consistently awesome. Plus we don't know how serious it is.

He was really poor. Made a few decent runs in the second half, but there was so much space at that point its irrelevant. He keeps banging on about being played as a striker but its not gonna happen unless his decision making improves.

Plus he has developed a petulent streak this season, constantly waving his hands at the ref. Needs to cut it out and stop blaming the ref for his bad technique.

Japan Shaking All Over
25-09-2011, 05:49 AM
Awesome is a generous use of the word but I wouldnt say kak matches his performance. He has been one of our better players of this season and bar injury will be an important part of how well we do this year.

He made a few runs, mainly through the centre or coming into the centre which makes you believe there us some substance to his desire to play striker but he is far from ruthless and showed that with the two chances he wasted towards the end of the game, the first was a real chance to show his class but instead of rounding the keeper, he chose to shoot.

I agree his decision making needs to be worked on, as does the his tendancy to call for the refs attention, the hands in the air pose is becoming a common occurance

Master Splinter
25-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Hands in the air is a vital GHEL trait.

Theo is on his way.

Good stuff.

gunsofashburtongrove
25-09-2011, 07:00 AM
The team in general were edgy in the first half better in the second half. The midfield finding in hard to find the right balance. To be honest that's been the case since we switched on to 4-3-3 with only wilshire effectivle as the third midfielder. Denilson, Diaby and now Ramsey on that list on unsuccessful players. I have seen Ramsey playing well for a poor wales side in the midfield which tells me that he is a good player but its about effectively fitting in to the system. The defence looked the same -Koscielny excellent on one on ones, fortunately the defensive organisation or the lack of it was not questioned sufficiently, Gibbs looked more balanced and solid than usual the one time he failed to close down his man Szechesney made an excellent save. Gervinho and Walcot were wasteful in attack. In all only Arteta and Szechesney have looked assured and consistent so far this season and Song has had a few good games. That said this is a welcome win, and few more of these and we should be able to play to our potential

Power n Glory
25-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Just watching the Sky highlights and Theo and RVP look like the only players having a go at their defence. Not sure if Theo deserves that much stick. Set up a few chances for RVP that were saved but set him up for tue 2nd goal. We need Theo and RVP to strike up that partnership again. Gervinho looked quiet in the 2nd.

Also, nice goal from Song.

Letters
25-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Theo is fucking awesome though.

The way he buggered up that chance when absolutely clean through sure was awesome.
He set up the 2nd goal, apart from that he had a 'mare.
I like Theo but he's bloody frustrating.

Daniele
25-09-2011, 07:22 AM
He was really poor. Made a few decent runs in the second half, but there was so much space at that point its irrelevant. He keeps banging on about being played as a striker but its not gonna happen unless his decision making improves.

Plus he has developed a petulent streak this season, constantly waving his hands at the ref. Needs to cut it out and stop blaming the ref for his bad technique.

I've been watching football for nearly 25 years and I'm yet to see a more stupid football player. He really has no idea where to place the ball and how to move around the pitch

Power n Glory
25-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Commentator thought he had a good afternoon. Frustrating, maybe, but who else was a real attacking threat besides RVP and Theo?

Watched the first half live and switched off because it was boring, but caught te 2nd half highlights on Sky and RVP and Theo looked the main threats. One or two shots from Ramsey and Arteta, but no consistent pressure from our players besides those two. RVP was really on his game today. We needed that sort of performance and considering the last few weeks we have, it's really about spotting the players that don't go into hiding when we need results. After the first half he just clicked into gear.

Japan Shaking All Over
25-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Commentator thought he had a good afternoon. Frustrating, maybe, but who else was a real attacking threat besides RVP and Theo?

Watched the first half live and switched off because it was boring, but caught te 2nd half highlights on Sky and RVP and Theo looked the main threats. One or two shots from Ramsey and Arteta, but no consistent pressure from our players besides those two. RVP was really on his game today. We needed that sort of performance and considering the last few weeks we have, it's really about spotting the players that don't go into hiding when we need results. After the first half he just clicked into gear.

I have to say that Gerbs is playing very directly, his first half was better than is second which doesnt sound like much as the team in general had a forgetable first 45 mins but as against Blackburn this guy likes to run with the ball, questionable final ball at times but at least tries. . .got a really this guy will come good and needs to work on getting on the same wavelength as RvP.

I have called Song a bit of a lump and a liability after his antics in the Newcastle game but he showed up yesterday, strong on the ball and I can see a nice tandem with Arteta and Jack.
Will still like to see Wenger shore up our DM options in January with a new recruit.

Is Rodwell shit? didnt look much yesterday!
but would he be a decent addition? Cost?

Maestro
25-09-2011, 09:32 AM
RVP .......world class
Song .......majestic
Theo ..........was an idiot

Match summary done

GP
25-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Hands in the air is a vital GHEL trait.

Especially when Vassell is here.

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 09:58 AM
looking at RVP's interview after the game, you could tell how much it meant to him to score a ton for us. he wont fuck us about imo, he deeply cares about this club and he will stay i think.

GP
25-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Proper gooner is RvP. He's not going anywhere.

4-3-3
25-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Proper gooner is RvP. He's not going anywhere.

unless he is off to citeh.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2041266/Manchester-City-planning-30m-raid-Robin-van-Persie.html

GP
25-09-2011, 10:19 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2041266/Manchester-City-planning-30m-raid-Robin-van-Persie.html

Nope

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 10:22 AM

sources say something but no quotes to back it up = total media bollocks

Özim
25-09-2011, 10:26 AM
People say it's BS, however he's never won anything in his career is getting close to his 30's and is in the last year of his contract, don't be so deluded to think he wouldn't choose to move on.

I'm sure he'd like some medals before he retires and clearly with ******* in charge this isn't the place to get them.

As much as he loves the club every ambitious footballer wants to win things, he does his bit with his goals not his fault Wenger and his merry bottlers can't help out a bit.

You can love a club and realise that you need to move somewhere else to achieve your goals. Can't see a good reason to stick with us at the moment.

Özim
25-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe a blessing in disguise Walnut is injured tbh, he's a pretty poor footballer and it might benefit us to have a talent like Oxo in the team rather than someone who fails to deliver time and time again.

Another woeful display by him yesterday, a familiar story with him, how long does he get before we cut him loose...I mean he's been here over 5 years now.

As far as I'm concerned he's another ******* failed experiment, he reinforces that almost every time he plays.

4-3-3
25-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Nope

EmmanuelIF4
@jackWilshire : money is source of all evil.

Power n Glory
25-09-2011, 10:44 AM
When Wenger comes out and says we might not be able to keep our star players because of our wage structure, then anything is possible.

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 10:45 AM
People say it's BS, however he's never won anything in his career is getting close to his 30's and is in the last year of his contract, don't be so deluded to think he wouldn't choose to move on.

I'm sure he'd like some medals before he retires and clearly with ******* in charge this isn't the place to get them.

As much as he loves the club every ambitious footballer wants to win things, he does his bit with his goals not his fault Wenger and his merry bottlers can't help out a bit.

You can love a club and realise that you need to move somewhere else to achieve your goals. Can't see a good reason to stick with us at the moment.

dont know about you but pretty sure an fa cup means he won something.

yes we all know he wants to win more and i think he really wants to do it with us whether he will or not remains to be seen. but if he left us, he would leave with our best wishes i think. the way he would leave would be as such that we send him off happy and not like nasri etc. he has seen what has happened with them and fans and he loves us too much to do it to us

Power n Glory
25-09-2011, 10:48 AM

yes we all know he wants to win more and i think he really wants to do it with us whether he will or not remains to be seen. but if he left us, he would leave with our best wishes i think. the way he would leave would be as such that we send him off happy and not like nasri etc. he has seen what has happened with them and fans and he loves us too much to do it to us

We'll see what happens when those contract talks are due.

Özim
25-09-2011, 10:53 AM

I don't think he featured in the FA Cup final as he was injured so don't think he got a medal.

He might really want to do it with us, but it doesn't change the fact it isn't realistic because with Wenger we won't win a thing.

Whether he leaves us with best wishes doesn't matter at the end of the day as we'd still be losing another top player, but I reckon he wouldn't leave us with good feeling as many would turn against him claiming he owes us for us supporting him during his injuries.

People's opinions of players change quickly when they decided to leave.

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think he featured in the FA Cup final as he was injured so don't think he got a medal.

He might really want to do it with us, but it doesn't change the fact it isn't realistic because with Wenger we won't win a thing.

Whether he leaves us with best wishes doesn't matter at the end of the day as we'd still be losing another top player, but I reckon he wouldn't leave us with good feeling as many would turn against him claiming he owes us for us supporting him during his injuries.

People's opinions of players change quickly when they decided to leave.

pretty sure he did iirc he took and scored one of the penalties in the shootout.

i dont think the fans would change that much tbh, hes scored 100 goals in 6 years, you cant really ask him for much more and think most would be understanding. we'll see but i really dont think he would

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 10:59 AM

had a look on bbc, he did take a pen for us so did win the cup :)

Özim
25-09-2011, 11:03 AM
had a look on bbc, he did take a pen for us so did win the cup :)
Fair enough, I wasn't sure on that one.

So he's got one medal, not sure he'll be satisfied with that though as he was just a kid in that season and maybe didn't feature as prominently as he does now.

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Fair enough, I wasn't sure on that one.

So he's got one medal, not sure he'll be satisfied with that though as he was just a kid in that season and maybe didn't feature as prominently as he does now.
nope i dont think he is but imo this season with him as captain i have seen a lot of drive in him to change this. he looks desperate to win, not just for himself but for us the fans. thats from on the pitch and interviews.

am i right in thinking he is the only winner in our squad with arsenal?

Cripps_orig
25-09-2011, 11:09 AM
The way he buggered up that chance when absolutely clean through sure was awesome.
He set up the 2nd goal, apart from that he had a 'mare.
I like Theo but he's bloody frustrating.

All players miss chances. Missing one when youre 3 up isnt a big deal. He can do it when it counts ie v Udinese twice.

David Wheater will be having nightmares about him for years to come as will the rest of the Bolton defence.

Sure he was hit and miss with his final ball a few times but im happy with his performance. We need to him stay fit though cos his replacement is a pub team league one rated player and has done f all so far bar score a hit and hope v Shrewsbury which the keeper should have saved anyway

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 11:11 AM
All players miss chances. Missing one when youre 3 up isnt a big deal. He can do it when it counts ie v Udinese twice.

David Wheater will be having nightmares about him for years to come as will the rest of the Bolton defence.

Sure he was hit and miss with his final ball a few times but im happy with his performance. We need to him stay fit though cos his replacement is a pub team league one rated player and has done f all so far bar score a hit and hope v Shrewsbury which the keeper should have saved anyway

ignoring your shit wumming at hte bottom. you are wrong to an extent. it was not just a chance he missed, it was a chance to end othe game completely. it was 2-0 with about ten mins to go. if he missed that and bolton scored, knowing our defence we would have drawn. chances like that have to be taken because of the state of the team, one goal for bolton after that miss and we wouldnt have won

Özim
25-09-2011, 11:19 AM
nope i dont think he is but imo this season with him as captain i have seen a lot of drive in him to change this. he looks desperate to win, not just for himself but for us the fans. thats from on the pitch and interviews.

am i right in thinking he is the only winner in our squad with arsenal?
Yeah I don't doubt he loves the club, I've always said I've felt that, but when you're 29 odd and you're contract is almost up winning trophies must come into the equation.

Think you're right.

Syn
25-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I've been watching football for nearly 25 years and I'm yet to see a more stupid football player. He really has no idea where to place the ball and how to move around the pitch

The problem for me is that he hasn't got much better than when we bought him 4 years ago. He showed signs of real improvements a couple of years back (before he got injured) and then regressed to where he was. I understand he has been troubled by injuries but even so he is nowhere near the level he should be. I don't really blame him as much as I blame Wenger. I blame Theo in that he has no balls...I actually think he does have 'brains' and is an intelligent player but he just freezes up like a fucking child far too often. We have seen many players come here with talent and then go on to be average players - I don't think Wenger is as good at getting the best from players as he used to be (I have no idea why that might be, though).

Two things Theo can do: 1) Run fast, 2) Finish. If he grows some balls, he could get a lot of goals. What he can't do - and I find it disgusting how easily other players in the league can do this - is take players on. Ashley Young, Bale, Van der Vaart and many others can beat a couple of players and do something productive at the end of it. Theo has one trick. He looks to edge forward to the defender and then go on the outside...his success rate wouldn't be far (any?) better than Eboue's. He pretty much always pushes the ball too far and the defender is easily able to get a foot in and stop him. Very frustrating.

I'd be tempted to rip up the Theo project and start fresh with Oxo...and Wenger should advise completely the opposite of what he advised Theo. Maybe Oxo has a career at RB.

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah I don't doubt he loves the club, I've always said I've felt that, but when you're 29 odd and you're contract is almost up winning trophies must come into the equation.

Think you're right.

true i think it will come into it. if he leaves us, imo i think he will go to europe. madrid etc as i cant see him wanting to play against us etc.

Syn
25-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Forgot to mention - on a brighter note, how good was Song's goal yesterday? That was much more difficult than it looked. Very quick feet and great finish off-balance.

Cripps_orig
25-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Theo scored 12 goals i think last season from the wing. Already has 3 this season. A vital player for club and country and apparently he hasnt got much better than when we bought him?

Didnt realise he was getting in to double figures concerning goals as soon as we got him

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Forgot to mention - on a brighter note, how good was Song's goal yesterday? That was much more difficult than it looked. Very quick feet and great finish off-balance.

song has great skill like that, think he did against chelsea last year, jinxed into the box (i might be wrong though he did score)

Syn
25-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Well no he wasn't shit but then as seen with other players, if they don't score they are automatically shit which is fine if you want to judge players that way, I'm just a tad more realistic than that.

Sure.

Cripps_orig
25-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Sure.

Had he scored that one on one yesterday, you'd be the first on here to say he had an excellent game, looking dangerous all game, getting their player sent off, having an assist.

He missed and hes no better than what he was when we got him :lol:

Lets ignore everything hes done since we got him and you'd be right

Im a bit more realistic than that

:rolleyes:

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2011, 11:37 AM
also anohter thing from yesterday was that chesney save. what a fucking save. that gone in, we dont win the game. he really is saving us points this season and last. so glad he is ours

Coney
25-09-2011, 12:55 PM
also anohter thing from yesterday was that chesney save. what a fucking save. that gone in, we dont win the game. he really is saving us points this season and last. so glad he is ours

Not so sure about that - we came back from a goal behind earlier in the week.

Czasd\zz\ny is definitely the main man for us - he is repeatedly showing why he is number 1 keeper and will be for the next decade or two if we have the ability to keep him at the club. I've mentioned before that the first time I saw him play, his talent and confidence was just so obvious. Our other keepers aren't in the same league as he is. He had better get the No1 shirt next year.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
25-09-2011, 01:25 PM
@ Ach: I doubt anyone who watched the full hand could use the word awesome to describe theo's performance. Though he was probably the player that had the most effect on bolton, he was easily the most frustrating and IMO the worst footballer on the pitch. ATM he's no better than the day we bought him and theirs a strong case for regression to be made. It's quite sad because even a fool can see he could be something really really special, but we've been at it 5 years now and we're not getting any closer to turning him to even an average footballer. Definitely something fundamentally different needs to be done in our approach as i'm afraid in a few years we run the real risk of him running backwards.

hobson's choice
25-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Didn't get a chance to see the game(work), but it looked like we sped the play up in the 2nd half. Which is what they need to do more off, this slow delibrate build up play, will not work period.

Niall_Quinn
25-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Had he scored that one on one yesterday, you'd be the first on here to say he had an excellent game, looking dangerous all game, getting their player sent off, having an assist.

He missed and hes no better than what he was when we got him :lol:

Im a bit more realistic than that

:rolleyes:

Theo had been playing shit long before he fluffed that chance you mention. We seem to be getting to the stage where if one of our players does one decent thing in 90 minutes that gets marked down as a good performance. It's what you do over the 90 minutes that counts. Theo was awful in 90% of what he tried yesterday, even simple passes. This far outweighs him getting the odd pass on target, putting in a cross or diving when through on goal. He should spend less time talking in the papers and more time doing his talking on the pitch.

We at Arsenal, of all people should be able to judge genuine talent. We've had the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires wear the shirt. Theo isn't and will never be in the same universe as those players.

But Jack might.

Power n Glory
25-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Theo had been playing shit long before he fluffed that chance you mention. We seem to be getting to the stage where if one of our players does one decent thing in 90 minutes that gets marked down as a good performance. It's what you do over the 90 minutes that counts. Theo was awful in 90% of what he tried yesterday, even simple passes. This far outweighs him getting the odd pass on target, putting in a cross or diving when through on goal. He should spend less time talking in the papers and more time doing his talking on the pitch.

We at Arsenal, of all people should be able to judge genuine talent. We've had the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires wear the shirt. Theo isn't and will never be in the same universe as those players.

But Jack might.

If you had watched Pires, Henry and Bergkamp from there teens to eary 20s and seen the highs and the lows then I'd say you have a point.

Niall_Quinn
25-09-2011, 06:59 PM
If you had watched Pires, Henry and Bergkamp from there teens to eary 20s and seen the highs and the lows then I'd say you have a point.

I do have a point. I'm saying we know what the top end is and Theo is making no progress towards it. It's completely fair to say he's going backwards, based on his performances. If anyone thinks they have a future Pires or Henry on their hands in the shape of Theo Walcott then they need to look again. In fact it's a big stretch to suggest we even have a future Ashley Young on our hands. Theo raises the same sort of questions that are raised about Wenger himself. Primarily, how much longer do we put up with him the hope something changes when, in fact, there's not a single sign to indicate the possibility of change.

Dog Toffee
25-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Dont get all the Theo and Ramsey bashing, especially Theo, he was part of nearly all our attempts on goal (tho not himself, his finishing is still poor). He was skinning their right sided players, got a player sent off, got an assist and should have scored a few, christ we have more to worry about.

Niall_Quinn
25-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Dont get all the Theo and Ramsey bashing, especially Theo, he was part of nearly all our attempts on goal (tho not himself, his finishing is still poor). He was skinning their right sided players, got a player sent off, got an assist and should have scored a few, christ we have more to worry about.

Personally I'm frustrated his potential (or what seemed to be potential) has not been realised and we've ended up with another nearly player. How many of those have we had?

With Ramsey I don't blame the player, I blame Wenger and the board for leaving us so short we have to rely heavily on a kid who has just returned from a major injury. But Theo's had plenty of opportunities to make a mark and he's failed. He wouldn't get into any of the top sides, he's too inconsistent and unproductive. We're settling for second best again with this guy and I'm a bit fed up of it. I'd love to see some genuine quality on the pitch rather than players who are great one minute and then appalling the next. How can you build anything with that kind of inconsistency?

Ironing
25-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I think he needs to play down the middle, his technique is poor for a right/left sided player

Despite his immense speed advantage, he still makes a meal out of getting past someone... it is actually baffling

Oh well, at least he doesn't leave the ball behind him when he runs anymore

Power n Glory
26-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I do have a point. I'm saying we know what the top end is and Theo is making no progress towards it. It's completely fair to say he's going backwards, based on his performances. If anyone thinks they have a future Pires or Henry on their hands in the shape of Theo Walcott then they need to look again. In fact it's a big stretch to suggest we even have a future Ashley Young on our hands. Theo raises the same sort of questions that are raised about Wenger himself. Primarily, how much longer do we put up with him the hope something changes when, in fact, there's not a single sign to indicate the possibility of change. You can't compare a 22 year old player whose just come off from having his best season to a manager in his 60s that abides by a philosophy. Your acting as if we just lost that game. Even on a bad day, Theo had a positive effect on the outcome of the game. But there is no point in taking about this because the next time Theo pops up with a vital goal or plays a blinder all will be forgotten. And if you can't understand how a striker playing out on the wing effects there overall game and approach then I can't help you. The story about Theo playing down the centre didn't appear in the match programme for nothing. If you can't dribble, you shouldn't be playing out on the wing but our manager has decided to play him there for some reason even though he's played and trained as a striker before moving to Arsenal. Can you imagine Owen or Defoe being asked to play on the wings in their early years and the effect it would have on their careers and confidence? His pace should be used for getting behind defenders and on to through balls like what we saw yesterday when Bolton had a man sent off. You don't see Fergie starting Hernandez down the wings do you? Watch Theo's game look at his strengths and instead of just saying he's shit with no thought or analysis behind the post, think where he'd be best played. Something constructive for a change because we shouldn't be having such discussions about a player that has just come off a season with 13 goals and 8 assist. A player that scares defenders and changed the Barca tie around for us. If Wenger is getting it wrong with our tactics week in week out, then why comes you haven't stopped to think that he's messing up with certain players and where he plays them?

Thierrymon
26-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Whilst i agree that it is unfair on Ramsey to be thrown into the deep end as he has this season, he has been really poor. Yeah he is contributing a few nice passes here and there, but time and time again he is giving the ball away (often in dangerous positions) and the opposition seem to have no problems in getting past him either. At least to his credit he does seem to be tracking back a fair bit but he is getting shrugged off easily.

He has shown previously he has what it takes to be a top midfielder which is why it is so frustrating at the moment.

Xhosa_Gunner
26-09-2011, 07:11 AM
From Orbinho:

RVP: 100 goals 71 left foot, 23 right foot, 6 headers. 12 outside the box, 88 inside, 12 penalties

:bow:.

That is really nothing to write home about. After what ....8 years ? Ade got 30 in a season without penalty goals. Come to think of it, :shrug::shrug:RVP has not scored from a free kick in over 3 years and is a regular taker. Give me a break.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Flavs
26-09-2011, 07:34 AM
That is really nothing to write home about. After what ....8 years ? Ade got 30 in a season without penalty goals. Come to think of it, :shrug::shrug:RVP has not scored from a free kick in over 3 years and is a regular taker. Give me a break.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Adebayor wasn't carrying a team of remedials with him at the time like RvP is though. Imagine how many he would of scored by now had he not been injured for 67% of his Arsenal career

Flavs
26-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Like what exactly? He's inconsistent, technically poor, predictable and his only asset, pace, seems to be the one he struggles to use most of the time, his final ball is poor, he finishing is iffy and his GHEL powers(tm) are non-existent

He is a poor man's Aaron Lennon

Marc Overmars
26-09-2011, 08:28 AM
I've always said with Theo that he's simply not a Wenger player. Or more specifically, not a Wengerball player. I don't think we suit him at all, either he uses his pace to devastating effect or he's literally useless in that, if he's not using his pace, he doesn't really have anything else in his locker. He doesn't spray 30-40 yard passes, he doesn't have any tricks and he's not really creative.

I reckon if he played for United he would be unstoppable, given how quickly they can seem to stretch teams. That style of play suits him down to a tee.

I certainly don't think he's as bad as people make out on here, but he does need to find a bit of consistency now, he's been around long enough.

Flavs
26-09-2011, 08:31 AM
I have only seen highlights of this but did we change formation for this?

LDG
26-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Good win.

Japan Shaking All Over
26-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Personally I'm frustrated his potential (or what seemed to be potential) has not been realised and we've ended up with another nearly player. How many of those have we had?

With Ramsey I don't blame the player, I blame Wenger and the board for leaving us so short we have to rely heavily on a kid who has just returned from a major injury. But Theo's had plenty of opportunities to make a mark and he's failed. He wouldn't get into any of the top sides, he's too inconsistent and unproductive. We're settling for second best again with this guy and I'm a bit fed up of it. I'd love to see some genuine quality on the pitch rather than players who are great one minute and then appalling the next. How can you build anything with that kind of inconsistency?

I disagree that all is lost for Theo. . . .(MOC medicine kicking in as we speak). . .but I do share NQs frustration based on Saturdays performance.
1) there was an ever so slight suggestion that he could have stayed on his feet but I sure as heck dont vlame him for going down
2) then there was his chance to go round the keeper but he chose to shoot
His decision making leaves a lot to be desired but I believe practice makes perfect and alrhough Walcot may never reach levels of perfection I do believe he has makings of a better player if we dispense from playing him wide.
He is no winger, crosses the ball well once a match udually when no one is in the box which also causes me to ask the question why do we play the winger formation when;

1) we never put players in the box
2) our attacks often come to a grinding halt when we reach the edge of the area and we try to pasd our way into the net
3) and in such cases when it does come wide we have the wrong kind of players, then we need Arshavin and someone with quick feet close control, Walcot is just a player who needs to run into spaces.

I think we may need to divert our attention to Wenger and his planning/formation. . .I dont claim to know more than Le Prof but I cant help thinking we could be more dangerous with a reshuffle.

Japan Shaking All Over
26-09-2011, 08:55 AM
You can't compare a 22 year old player whose just come off from having his best season to a manager in his 60s that abides by a philosophy. Your acting as if we just lost that game. Even on a bad day, Theo had a positive effect on the outcome of the game. But there is no point in taking about this because the next time Theo pops up with a vital goal or plays a blinder all will be forgotten. And if you can't understand how a striker playing out on the wing effects there overall game and approach then I can't help you. The story about Theo playing down the centre didn't appear in the match programme for nothing. If you can't dribble, you shouldn't be playing out on the wing but our manager has decided to play him there for some reason even though he's played and trained as a striker before moving to Arsenal. Can you imagine Owen or Defoe being asked to play on the wings in their early years and the effect it would have on their careers and confidence? His pace should be used for getting behind defenders and on to through balls like what we saw yesterday when Bolton had a man sent off. You don't see Fergie starting Hernandez down the wings do you? Watch Theo's game look at his strengths and instead of just saying he's shit with no thought or analysis behind the post, think where he'd be best played. Something constructive for a change because we shouldn't be having such discussions about a player that has just come off a season with 13 goals and 8 assist. A player that scares defenders and changed the Barca tie around for us. If Wenger is getting it wrong with our tactics week in week out, then why comes you haven't stopped to think that he's messing up with certain players and where he plays them?

Goodpost
I can go with that. . . .current formation doesnt suit and if it doesnt suit Theo will it suit Oxo? because you can put your mortgage on him being stuck out wide any first team action he gets

Ironing
26-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Actually it WAS with plenty of penalty goals. WTF are you talking about.

Master Splinter
26-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Is Xhosa the guy who loves Adebayor and other flavour-of-the-month African players?

GP
26-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Is Xhosa the guy who loves Adebayor and other flavour-of-the-month African players?

Yes.

And every month, the flavour is cock.

fakeyank
26-09-2011, 04:36 PM

2 questions really:

- Who gave you stats about Ade scoring 30 with no pelanties in them?
- Whats with the shrug smilies all over the place? It didnt make any sense to me.. :shrug:

Japan Shaking All Over
26-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Yes.

oh dear one of those......wonder how he would get on with Joker

Xhaka Can’t
26-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Your face is nothing to write home about.

Japan Shaking All Over
26-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Your face is nothing to write home about.

class in a glass......you buried that GB

Özim
26-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Please, are you still going on about Barndoor? He's been at 3 clubs since he was with us, he's history and will never return who gives a sh*t what he did in one lucky season?

If he's so good why does no club keep hold of him for longer than 5 minutes?

Niall_Quinn
26-09-2011, 06:47 PM
You can't compare a 22 year old player whose just come off from having his best season to a manager in his 60s that abides by a philosophy. Your acting as if we just lost that game. Even on a bad day, Theo had a positive effect on the outcome of the game. But there is no point in taking about this because the next time Theo pops up with a vital goal or plays a blinder all will be forgotten. And if you can't understand how a striker playing out on the wing effects there overall game and approach then I can't help you. The story about Theo playing down the centre didn't appear in the match programme for nothing. If you can't dribble, you shouldn't be playing out on the wing but our manager has decided to play him there for some reason even though he's played and trained as a striker before moving to Arsenal. Can you imagine Owen or Defoe being asked to play on the wings in their early years and the effect it would have on their careers and confidence? His pace should be used for getting behind defenders and on to through balls like what we saw yesterday when Bolton had a man sent off. You don't see Fergie starting Hernandez down the wings do you? Watch Theo's game look at his strengths and instead of just saying he's shit with no thought or analysis behind the post, think where he'd be best played. Something constructive for a change because we shouldn't be having such discussions about a player that has just come off a season with 13 goals and 8 assist. A player that scares defenders and changed the Barca tie around for us. If Wenger is getting it wrong with our tactics week in week out, then why comes you haven't stopped to think that he's messing up with certain players and where he plays them?

Walcott doesn't play in the middle, he's been asked to play wide. He can't do the job because he hasn't got the ability. Maybe things would be great if Wenger moved him inside, but that hasn't happened so instead of having to put up with his inconsistency why don't we get someone in who CAN play wide? This is just common sense. I don't disagree with many of your points, particularly Wenger's strange decisions, but if Wenger is not going to change his position and Theo can't play on the wing, what do we do? Put up with him and console ourselves that if he had played centre we might have won more? How many points do you get for that?

Coney
26-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Yes.

How does he take his coffee?

Xhaka Can’t
26-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Lotsa cream.

GP
26-09-2011, 07:21 PM

He likes his coffee how he likes his women.

Ground up and in the freezer.

Power n Glory
26-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Walcott doesn't play in the middle, he's been asked to play wide. He can't do the job because he hasn't got the ability. Maybe things would be great if Wenger moved him inside, but that hasn't happened so instead of having to put up with his inconsistency why don't we get someone in who CAN play wide? This is just common sense. I don't disagree with many of your points, particularly Wenger's strange decisions, but if Wenger is not going to change his position and Theo can't play on the wing, what do we do? Put up with him and console ourselves that if he had played centre we might have won more? How many points do you get for that?

That's a question for Wenger. It must be a part of his development, but Wenger keeps on saying his future is as a striker. But, in fairness to Walcott, he's produced more down that side than players like Rosicky, Hleb, Nasri, Eboue, Bendy and the x amount of players Wenger has asked to play down that side from time to time. None of them are wingers but whenever I've seen any of them play down that side, they've been pretty ineffective. For all of Walcott's faults, he makes something happen down that side and technically, the players I mentioned are a lot better than him when it comes to passing, crossing and dribbling but they've never been anywhere near as effective down that side as Walcott. He's done well considering.

But he should be played down the centre. His off the ball movement and pace really scares defenders and on the edge of the box, players can't just clatter and bash him around. It's too dangerous to give away those sort of fouls. We saw it over the weekend and we should be using that to our advantage. The amount of needless kicks he gets on the wing is only doing him damage and I can't understand why Wenger keeps playing him there. It contributes to the injuries. He doesn't have the ability to go past players on the flanks, but around the box, that sort of acceleration and movement will scare defenders. Wenger keeps praising his intelligence off the ball and his runs so he should be making use of that. He has the potential but he's not a winger and shouldn't be compared to any others either. He's a nippy striker like Defoe, Owen, Hernandez.

It's not just Theo with this problem. Look what happened to Vela. Why does he have a player like Vela that is technically gifted and able to finish and move playing on the left side of the midfield when he's so one footed and restricted to always going to the byline or cutting in on his weaker foot? The kid gets knocked about on the wing and it's probably why he doesn't get involved with play that much. He stays out of it. Theo, give him credit, doesn't hide on the wing even though he gets clattered week in week out and it's probably why he's held his spot.

Chamberlain should be playing on the wing, but again, Wenger sees him as a playmaker and we'll see how he does when he plays, but he's a much better dribbler than Walcott and can take players on. He should be playing down the right, with Walcott up front and RVP behind him. Ramsey should be dropped. He's just not ready to play in the middle.

Tipsychubbs
26-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Chamberlain should be playing on the wing, but again, Wenger sees him as a playmaker and we'll see how he does when he plays, but he's a much better dribbler than Walcott and can take players on. He should be playing down the right, with Walcott up front and RVP behind him. Ramsey should be dropped. He's just not ready to play in the middle.

Chamberlain is actually a natural CAM, grew up in that position in the reserves, but Southampton played him on the wing obviously due to more experienced players.

Power n Glory
26-09-2011, 11:00 PM
That's what I mean by playmaker, but he looks like he can play down the wings, similar to Jack when he first arrived on the scene. But we can't keep him there. If he can pass and shoot, he should be playing in the centre.