PDA

View Full Version : "Currants Bw..."

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129

Marc Overmars
26-01-2021, 09:55 AM
I don’t think I’d ever come back tbh.

Letters
26-01-2021, 10:04 AM
I don’t think I’d ever come back tbh.

Tbh, I've been on a couple of Caribbean cruises and the islands are beautiful and the weather is nice (if a bit too hot for me) but there's bugger all to do.
Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
(Edit: Each to their own and all that, I'm more of a city person really)

GP
26-01-2021, 11:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/LOOsvCQ.jpg

Letters
26-01-2021, 11:44 PM
:haha: Took me a while.

Mac76
27-01-2021, 07:57 AM
:haha: Took me a while.

Me too :lol:

Letters
27-01-2021, 08:33 AM
She definitely did that deliberately. Funny though.

Mac76
27-01-2021, 08:40 AM
She definitely did that deliberately.

or at least that's her story and she's sticking to it :)

Letters
27-01-2021, 09:10 AM
I saw the video and she was smirking a bit from the start so I reckon she knew what she was doing.

Mac76
27-01-2021, 10:03 AM
why though, she's an academic not a wannabe comedian or something

maybe it was one of her kids or flatmates or something

Letters
28-01-2021, 01:21 PM
why though, she's an academic not a wannabe comedian or something

maybe it was one of her kids or flatmates or something

Maybe.

Also:

https://newsthump.com/2021/01/28/boris-johnson-jealous-of-yvette-amos-only-having-one-cck-in-her-cabinet/

:d

Letters
28-01-2021, 04:37 PM
She is, tbf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWeF4kP3DzM

Letters
29-01-2021, 04:12 PM
Sean Lock :haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TPG80boMjY

WMUG
01-02-2021, 12:06 PM
IT problems mean I can't log into my work laptop.

Means I've got the morning off :cool:

Letters
01-02-2021, 12:29 PM

And this is the only post you bothered to make. Put some effort in :sulk:

Mac76
01-02-2021, 12:51 PM
And this is the only post you bothered to make. Put some effort in :sulk:

yeah i've been supposed to be working and i've posted loads on here :lol:

Mac76
01-02-2021, 12:54 PM
Sean Lock :haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TPG80boMjY

:lol:

WMUG
01-02-2021, 02:15 PM
I am ashamed :getcoat:

WMUG
01-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Also, veganuary's over, time for a meat feast pizza tonight :d

Letters
01-02-2021, 02:29 PM
:gp:

MrsL has been on some health kick (we both should be on one TBH).
Hopefully this month we can get some takeaways. We haven't been that strict but I haven't had a pizza or takeaway since New Year's Eve.

Ollie the Optimist
01-02-2021, 02:31 PM
:gp:

MrsL has been on some health kick (we both should be on one TBH).
Hopefully this month we can get some takeaways. We haven't been that strict but I haven't had a pizza or takeaway since New Year's Eve.

This is not the time to be going on a health kick in my mind. It’s bad enough not being able to leave the Flat or have any form of life, I’m not giving up the weekly takeaway :lol:

WMUG
01-02-2021, 02:57 PM
I lost a stone since mid December eating 1500 odd calories a day. Now my 4-pack has been revealed in all its minute glory.

GP
01-02-2021, 03:10 PM
I have lost quite a bit of weight in the last 12 months on Keto.

It really works.

Letters
01-02-2021, 03:46 PM
I am back to my pre-Christmas weight. But that's still "fatso", so I do need to do better.

Marc Overmars
01-02-2021, 03:58 PM
You can still eat like a fat fuck and get into good shape if you have a consistent workout/activity regime. I’ve shifted 5kg over the past 18 months and I’m in the best shape of my adult life by far. One thing I learned is that tracking calories is boring but very helpful.

Mac76
01-02-2021, 04:10 PM
This is not the time to be going on a health kick in my mind. It’s bad enough not being able to leave the Flat or have any form of life, I’m not giving up the weekly takeaway :lol:

no, us neither, an Indian a week's a must - we've been buying more crisps and biscuits too just to keep up morale... :)

Ollie the Optimist
01-02-2021, 04:13 PM
I’m lucky that I usually eat what i want but dont put weight on.

It’s still the case at the moment but i have noticed a difference in the fact that when i was working in the city, I’d be walking at least 10,000 steps a day but usually closer to 15,000.

Now its barely 3,000 unless i go for a run. Amazing the difference walking to the tube & around the city makes to just burning off lunch etc

GP
01-02-2021, 04:17 PM
I am back to my pre-Christmas weight. But that's still "fatso", so I do need to do better.

Seriously, keto. You can have butter on everything.

Marc Overmars
01-02-2021, 05:07 PM
I’m lucky that I usually eat what i want but dont put weight on.

It’s still the case at the moment but i have noticed a difference in the fact that when i was working in the city, I’d be walking at least 10,000 steps a day but usually closer to 15,000.

Now its barely 3,000 unless i go for a run. Amazing the difference walking to the tube & around the city makes to just burning off lunch etc

Yep, any little bit of consistent activity will help make a difference. Walking, running etc, doesn’t matter what it is. A sedate lifestyle is the biggest killer.

LDG
02-02-2021, 07:06 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55896473

Screech :rose:

LDG
02-02-2021, 07:29 AM
Yep, any little bit of consistent activity will help make a difference. Walking, running etc, doesn’t matter what it is. A sedate lifestyle is the biggest killer.

I just bought an ergonomic stand up desk. So fed up with my neck killing me from working sat down all the time. Also makes sure I go for a longish walk at lunch time.

I run anyway, but cut half of my mileage in favour of high intensity and core strength. Works loads better and my knees/hips feel better for it.

But, ain’t nobody taking away some booze and a kebab/curry every weekend

Xhaka Can’t
02-02-2021, 07:34 AM

This.

Times eleventy six thousand.

Xhaka Can’t
02-02-2021, 07:35 AM
Seriously, keto. You can have butter on everything.

Can you have it on butter?

GP
02-02-2021, 08:15 AM
Can you have it on butter?

That's my go-to snack.

Mac76
02-02-2021, 08:27 AM
:sick:

Letters
02-02-2021, 12:45 PM
Hmm. This seems a bit dodgy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55900061

I don't particularly like him (tbh I don't think I could name a single song of his so I have no real opinion either way), but dropping him because of an allegation?

Mac76
02-02-2021, 05:40 PM
Hmm. This seems a bit dodgy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55900061

I don't particularly like him (tbh I don't think I could name a single song of his so I have no real opinion either way), but dropping him because of an allegation?

well it means they've seen enough evidence to be concerned

Letters
02-02-2021, 05:46 PM
Maybe. I mean, I don't really care. But it seems a bit wrong that someone can just be accused of something and just the accusation itself can be enough.
But yeah, maybe they know something.

Ollie the Optimist
04-02-2021, 10:47 AM
It’s quiet this morning on here :lol:-

Letters
04-02-2021, 11:48 AM
Our resident conspiracy theorists has taken a couple of days off, it seems. :(

Mac76
04-02-2021, 12:53 PM
Our resident conspiracy theorists has taken a couple of days off, it seems. :(

kidnapped by the lizard people no doubt...

Xhaka Can’t
05-02-2021, 04:07 PM
Wouldn’t it be funny if THEY were the lizard people?

Letters
05-02-2021, 06:44 PM
So long, farewell...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55954950

:rose:

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2021, 07:14 PM
It must be fun to be in the gang. Oh the banter.

By fun, I mean safe.

Takes more than approval and acceptance to actually count for something though. There's one person in this little coven you have going that has a brain. The rest of you are fucking retards. And I'm pretty sure you know it. I don't know why the geezer with the brain plays along with your trivialities. Boredom maybe. I wish he wouldn't though, because there's always the danger of becoming what you associate with.

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2021, 07:36 PM
Wouldn’t it be funny if THEY were the lizard people?

By "lizard people" I assume you mean all dissent is equivalent to David Icke?

That's the intention, right? Funny and all. But a little disingenuous (euphemism) when you really dig down, if you really ever dig down. I'm not a fan of Icke's theories, personally, but I'm a fan of Icke - now that I think of it. Can you imagine having a set big enough to stand up to mob ridicule to the extent he's suffered, just for having an opinion? It's quite impressive. And, he's changed his thinking over time. Which is remarkable in itself, as most people think that's not allowed.

A while ago, after I kept noticing this lizard shit that was being flung about, I decided to go and listen to what he actually had to say. I came away unconvinced by him, but utterly convinced that his detractors are dishonest in a way that's hard to fathom. He may think and come up with disagreeable conclusions, but his detractors don't bother to think. They condemn out of hand. And then they use his name as a tool to condemn others who never even mentioned the "lizard people".

It's dishonest at a very foundational level and shows a great degree of malignancy in the people who engage in that sort of thing. Maybe not even consciously. Maybe they don't even know they are bad people.

GP
05-02-2021, 08:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t-slLl30E&list=RDMM&index=25

Ollie the Optimist
05-02-2021, 08:56 PM
https://youtu.be/AWh_oguYZvc

This parish council meeting has gone viral. Bloody funny :lol:

GP
05-02-2021, 09:00 PM
Read them.

AND UNDERSTAND THEM!!!

Globalgunner
05-02-2021, 09:19 PM
Saw this on a poster held up in a protest somewhere

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who foolishly believe they are free" -Goethe.

At least my ancestors were smart enough not to believe that the slaveowners had their best interests at heart.

GP
05-02-2021, 09:20 PM
Sir, this is a Wendy's

Globalgunner
05-02-2021, 09:21 PM
It must be fun to be in the gang. Oh the banter.

By fun, I mean safe.

Takes more than approval and acceptance to actually count for something though. There's one person in this little coven you have going that has a brain. The rest of you are fucking retards. And I'm pretty sure you know it. I don't know why the geezer with the brain plays along with your trivialities. Boredom maybe. I wish he wouldn't though, because there's always the danger of becoming what you associate with.

They have a nice circular chainwank going on here and wish not to be disturbed.

Letters
05-02-2021, 09:27 PM

Well. There’s two of you so you could do a 69 or something if you’re feeling left out.

Seriously, relax chaps. Why are you two so highly strung?

:hug:

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2021, 09:28 PM

I'm on the verge. I used to be interested in football, now I'm not. I think the rest of it is just inertia. Something you are used to, so you just do it. But I might make the break. If I thought there was the faintest chance of having a discussion in this place it would be a different story. But, once the football became secondary, we quickly found out who was who. Even then, I don't begrudge anyone the right to behave as they wish, think as they wish, do as they wish. Unless it affects me.

Here we are. Affected. The fight's out in the real world, not here.

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2021, 09:28 PM
That cunt's on a hair-trigger, isn't he?

Ollie the Optimist
05-02-2021, 09:29 PM
That cunt's on a hair-trigger, isn't he?

And you wonder why there isn’t much discussion when you keeping calling them that :rolleyes:

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2021, 09:32 PM
And you wonder why there isn’t much discussion when you keeping calling them that :rolleyes:

Oh, I hadn't considered being reasonable a thousand times in the past. Maybe I'll try that. Mind you, time moves on and shit is happening. Maybe we've reached the stage where you just call it like it is?

Xhaka Can’t
05-02-2021, 09:35 PM

I prefer the term circle jerk

Letters
05-02-2021, 09:39 PM
If I thought there was the faintest chance of having a discussion in this place.

I’ve spent quite a lot of time responding to your posts, asking you what your sources are, asking you to back up your assertions with evidence, showing you the data which I’m looking at which I’m basing my opinions on. That could be the basis for a decent discussion but you refuse to engage.
Which is fine, it’s your right. But don’t pretend that you’re interested in discussion.

I’m not the enemy, I have no idea why you think I am.
I just see the world differently to you. But I’m certainly willing to look at other points of view. When you’ve posted sources and videos I’ve looked at them and responded.
I spent quite a while looking into the stuff around that USPS dude and found that your claims about him weren’t true. I went through it in some detail with the verbatim quotes which demonstrated they weren’t true. Your only response was to get a bit cross that I’d bothered to look into it
:shrug:

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2021, 09:40 PM

And the activity, so it seems.

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2021, 09:41 PM
I’ve spent quite a lot of time responding to your posts, asking you what your sources are, asking you to back up your assertions with evidence, showing you the data which I’m looking at which I’m basing my opinions on. That could be the basis for a decent discussion but you refuse to engage.
Which is fine, it’s your right. But don’t pretend that you’re interested in discussion.

I’m not the enemy, I have no idea why you think I am.
I just see the world differently to you. But I’m certainly willing to look at other points of view. When you’ve posted sources and videos I’ve looked at them and responded.
I spent quite a while looking into the stuff around that USPS dude and found that your claims about him weren’t true. I went through it in some detail with the verbatim quotes which demonstrated they weren’t true. Your only response was to get a bit cross that I’d bothered to look into it
:shrug:

One response to you and just one. The thing I find unspeakably offensive about you, besides the endless lies.

You are supposed to be a Christian.

Globalgunner
05-02-2021, 09:47 PM
Well. There’s two of you so you could do a 69 or something if you’re feeling left out.

Seriously, relax chaps. Why are you two so highly strung?

:hug:

At least try and come up with your own jokes. Dont steal mine

You and your cliche are the first to throw out abuse and the first to feel slighted

GP
05-02-2021, 09:48 PM

I prefer a flan.

Letters
05-02-2021, 09:54 PM
One response to you and just one. The thing I find unspeakably offensive about you, besides the endless lies.

You are supposed to be a Christian.

So? You do this quite a lot, say something without actually saying anything.
Give me an example of a lie I’ve told.
As distinct from something I’ve said which isn’t true - I may have been mistaken about things but that isn’t the same thing.
Your problem is you infer malicious intent everywhere you look.
I suspect most of the time it doesn’t exist.
And sure, I’ve sometimes responded to you in a somewhat snarky way, but more recently I’ve tried to be more measured. Because I’m not interested in making enemies. I think you’re wrong about a lot of stuff but I’ll continue to explain why and back up my thoughts with sources and data.
You could do the same but you refuse to.
I see you’ve repeated the “99.85%” thing in the Covid thread.
I have asked you multiple times to provide a source and you have refused to.
Which is your prerogative of course but people aren’t going to take anyone seriously if they just post endless assertions without backing them up with some evidence.

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2021, 10:07 PM
These people and their "sources". What does it mean. Please provide me with the opinion of an authority approved better who tells me what to think and is in it for the money? Sources? Here's what I think -> provide a link. Everything he said, that's what I think. Sad, isn't it.

Of course I have provided an endless amount of "sources" so people who can't think for themselves don't have to wander out of their comfort zone. But these efforts are, of course, bundled up into the category "nutter on the Internet" and so don't count. Therefore, I have provided no sources. And that's how the game is played. I provided a video from another "source" just tonight. And because it is plainly not "some nutter on the Internet" it is studiously ignored. Another rule in the game. So still no "sources". You'd think I could come up with at least ONE, right?

Provided they keep on saying it, it must be true.

A lot of people (way too may) seem to have forgotten that a source is the start of the thought process, not the unthinking conclusion. Where's your source, provide a source, that source is debunked, blah. Never a thought, just a copy/ paste. We have people here who copy/ paste scientific data, reach a conclusion and then berate those who disagree - when they don't themselves understand a single aspect of the argument. And that's where we are. Where's your government approved source? Because if you don't have that, if you dare to present an unauthorised source or, worse, delve into thought, logic and reason, well don't be surprised when you get called out for it.

It's also fun to watch people claim nothing is being said, because there's nothing they can instantly Google which would serve as "fact check" fodder. That's the danger of thought. It makes search queries very difficult, if done right.

GP
08-02-2021, 09:25 AM
Lousy Smarch weather.

Letters
08-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Lousy Smarch weather.

Went for a walk around earlier. Disappointing level of snow. Enough to be slippery and treacherous, not enough to build snowmen.
'Tis bloody freezing out there. Biting wind :cold:

Letters
08-02-2021, 12:32 PM
These people and their "sources". What does it mean. Please provide me with the opinion of an authority approved better who tells me what to think and is in it for the money? Sources? Here's what I think -> provide a link. Everything he said, that's what I think. Sad, isn't it.

Yes, that is sad. But it's also a straw man.
I am not an expert on climate science. Or virology. I have no ability to gather my own data on the pandemic.
So if I'm going to claim that climate change is caused by man or that in developed countries the Covid mortality rate is 1% then it's useful for other people to understand the source of that information. If you're going to say that climate change is because of the sun or that the Covid mortality rate is 99.85% then I expect you to provide a source. You're not an expert on these things any more than I am. You're not doing hands on research yourself. So you must be reading or watching something which has led you to those conclusions. Is it so unreasonable to ask what?

And sure, you have provided some sources. But when you've done so it's not taken long for me and others to find other sources which contradict them.
Now, to be fair, anyone can do that these days. The internet is a strange place. But this is a part of the problem. How do we know which sources are true?
I admit my sources tend to be more mainstream - the 1% mortality rate comes from Imperial College. Personally I regard them as more credible than "some bloke on YouTube". (I'm not saying that's where you got the 99.85% rate, I've no idea where it came from as you have refused to provide a source). Your mistake (IMO) is to believe that anything mainstream is false, or propaganda because it's mainstream. I don't believe that.

I don't believe that "they" are trying to constantly deceive or or mislead us. You do believe that. But that is somewhat undermined by the fact that you seem to call anything which doesn't confirm to your beliefs "fake news" or "fake science" or "propaganda". I posted a video of a YouTuber I follow a bit talking about the PCR tests and because it didn't say what you believe you just called it "propaganda". The bloke is just a science teacher turned YouTuber. He doesn't represent any large organisation or Government. Who do you think it was propaganda for and what's his motive? You can't just call something propaganda because you disagree with it.

I provided a video from another "source" just tonight. And because it is plainly not "some nutter on the Internet" it is studiously ignored.

The one about Biden's executive orders? I watched it. I've never been a big champion for Biden, I just didn't want 4 more years of Trump.
I don't think that bloke is "some nutter on the Internet" actually, but he clearly has biases (like we all do, tbf) which have led him to false conclusions about the Texas lawsuit and the Amazon/Parler one previously.
Your biases have led you to false conclusions too - you were predicting curfews, checkpoints, the army on the street. None of those things have happened. I'm not pointing that out to make you look silly, I'm doing so because I'm hoping you might consider why you got those things wrong. My take is it's because you're paranoid. You think think "they" are out to get you and using this situation to control people. They aren't. Which doesn't mean they're bending over backwards to help you either of course, those aren't the only two possibilities. Your paranoia extends to thinking that people like me who see the world differently than you have malicious intent. You talk about my "constant lies". What lies? Even if I've posted things which aren't true, I haven't done so knowingly. When I posted some graphs last year about Italy and the UK and their respective handling of Covid I didn't account for population. You picked me up on that - quite rightly - and I admitted the mistake and adjusted accordingly (which actually ended up making my point not really valid). You probably think that was you catching me in the lie, actually it was just pointing out I made a mistake which I quickly corrected. How strange it must be to live in a world where you think people like me are trying to deceive you for some reason simply because I see things differently.

I don't understand what "you're supposed to be a Christian" is meant to mean. I always feel that's a bit below the belt when people use that one. Valid maybe if you'd just found out I was doing <insert some unspeakable crime here>, but what am I doing which you think is "unchristian"?

Where's your government approved source? Because if you don't have that, if you dare to present an unauthorised source or, worse, delve into thought, logic and reason, well don't be surprised when you get called out for it.

I'll judge any source on its merits. If you provide a source and he comes across as a nutter and has no disenable qualifications in the thing he's pontificating about then I don't think calling that out is unreasonable.
Anyone can make any claim. You don't have to have any particular credentials to make a claim these days. Nutters who used to shout on street corners can now shout across the internet and with a fair wind get a big following.
Just because they're "independent", that doesn't make them right.

TL;DR - I don't think "they" are out to get you in the way you imagine. I'm definitely not. You'd have better discussions on here if you stopped thinking that you know better than everyone, stop to consider you might be mistaken about some things and stop thinking people like me are "the enemy" or have malicious intent simply because we don't see the world the same way as you.

Mac76
08-02-2021, 12:43 PM
Went for a walk around earlier. Disappointing level of snow. Enough to be slippery and treacherous, not enough to build snowmen.
'Tis bloody freezing out there. Biting wind :cold:

we'll go out this savvy for a walk, like you say it's a middling amount around the house but will be interesting to see what it's like on the nearby green spaces

Letters
09-02-2021, 07:38 PM
The Royal vagina :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55999359

Gawd bless ‘er

Letters
10-02-2021, 07:51 AM
Hmm. Someone signed up with the email address

nameredacted@blowjobvideo.info

Looks legit :d

WMUG
10-02-2021, 08:25 PM
Somebody looking to promote their onlyfans?

Niall_Quinn
10-02-2021, 09:51 PM
Somebody looking to promote their onlyfans?

It's old school and doesn't work anymore, unless some moron lends a helping hand.

Letters
15-02-2021, 06:38 PM
Doo do, doo do, do doo doo do.
Boo!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56069675

Mac76
15-02-2021, 07:40 PM
Doo do, doo do, do doo doo do.
Boo!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56069675

Countdown is truly the programme where tv presenters go to die

Letters
15-02-2021, 08:33 PM
Literally, for Whitely.

WMUG
16-02-2021, 03:19 PM

It's happened again.

It's happened again.

The afternoon this time.

It's happened again.

Letters
16-02-2021, 03:21 PM
:angry: You come crawling back here every time your work computer goes wrong :sulk:

I got a blue screen of death on my work machine yesterday. Haven't seen one of them for years.

WMUG
16-02-2021, 04:16 PM
I'm actually on here a lot, just don't post much :lol:

Also our normal team leader's on leave so we've got a sub in who's making a right old mess of fixing the issue :d

Letters
17-02-2021, 04:20 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56101632

Gawd bless ‘im :(

Marc Overmars
17-02-2021, 04:32 PM
He’s a walking corpse.

Letters
17-02-2021, 04:37 PM
:lol: not a fan?

Letters
17-02-2021, 04:40 PM
Also, this is bullshit isn’t it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-56089759

I mean, I’m not getting into whether I agree with her views or not, but isn’t she allowed to express them without getting sacked? She was hardly calling for the gays to be stoned.

It’s interesting that in a society where we all have to be “tolerant” that tolerance doesn’t extend to views which are not thought to be unacceptable.

Niall_Quinn
17-02-2021, 05:16 PM
If we all sit on the fence and avoid risk it will all be okay.

Not really.

Letters
19-02-2021, 12:37 PM
Well this is bullshit!

So last year, or maybe the year before actually, to much fanfare they announced that a stage show of Sister Act would be coming to London with Whoopi Goldberg, no less, reprising her role as Delores. I got excited so booked tickets. Was pricey, but I thought that given Whoopi was in it, it was worth it.

Then the world ended of course, so it didn't happen, so it got booted to this year.
Now they've moved it to next year amid the continued uncertainty.

So far, so fine. But now they've said that Whoopi Goldberg won't be in it but they're not providing partial refunds, so you still get to pay the same amount without the star attraction which led people to shell out the big bucks.

Well they can piss off!

:fury:

(You can get a full refund, which is probably what I'll do)

WMUG
19-02-2021, 01:53 PM
Whoopi is a stupid name.

Mac76
19-02-2021, 02:23 PM
Whoopi is a stupid name.

agreed, but if you're going to tell her that, break the news gently - i.e. make sure and cushion the blow...

Marc Overmars
19-02-2021, 03:28 PM
It’s hilarious how triggered the little Englanders are over Meghan and Harry. Blaming her and giving her dogs abuse for taking their Prince away. Anyone ever consider he’s actually happy away from the scrutiny the trash media in this country constantly give people of interest?

Good luck to them and I can’t wait to watch the Oprah interview. :popcorn:

Ollie the Optimist
19-02-2021, 03:33 PM
It’s hilarious how triggered the little Englanders are over Meghan and Harry. Blaming her and giving her dogs abuse for taking their Prince away. Anyone ever consider he’s actually happy away from the scrutiny the trash media in this country constantly give people of interest?

If they want to go & make their own lives then fair play to them & good luck.

The issue i have is how they spent the summer in 2019 lecturing us on how we should fly because of global warming yet took multiple flights on private jets.

They also demand privacy (again a fair request) but give a tell all interview to Oprah, sign deals with Netflix (who lets face it will demand their pound of flesh) and launch a podcast. Not exactly my idea of privacy thats for sure.

Marc Overmars
19-02-2021, 03:36 PM
I guess it comes down to having control over their exposure. Probably some hypocrisy in there from them but I don’t begrudge anyone taking charge of their own destiny, especially if what they were doing before made them so unhappy.

Ollie the Optimist
19-02-2021, 03:53 PM
I guess it comes down to having control over their exposure. Probably some hypocrisy in there from them but I don’t begrudge anyone taking charge of their own destiny, especially if what they were doing before made them so unhappy.

It’s a tricky one. By all accounts the Queen wanted to make it work and provide them with roles that would make them happy. There was a plan i remember reading about that they would go and live in Africa for a while where they could do charity work, have privacy and build relationships with the commonwealth on Queen’s behalf. Similar the Queen spending time in Malta before she became Queen.

Obviously taht idea didnt work as they then wanted to go to Canada but with Canada being in the Commonwealth, they again thought it might work. Pissing off to LA two months after saying you are moving to Canada probably didnt help matters either.

What Harry & Meghan do next is up to them but i think the main worry in the royal family is if they go political. The Monarch is independent of government and yet if Harry & Meghan start getting involved in American politics which rumours suggest Meghan wants to, that could create diplomatic issues. Needs to be handled carefully.

GP
19-02-2021, 04:30 PM

They fucking hate Meghan but don't mind noncey Prince Andrew.

I can't qWhite put my finger on why.

Letters
19-02-2021, 04:47 PM
None of you are taking my irritation at the Sister Act debacle seriously enough :angry:

They fucking hate Meghan but don't mind noncey Prince Andrew.

I can't qWhite put my finger on why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fC7J71pxhI

O'Brian :bow:

GP
19-02-2021, 05:25 PM
None of you are taking my irritation at the Sister Act debacle seriously enough :angry:

You are incredibly gay

Letters
19-02-2021, 05:37 PM
Homophobe :sulk:

Also, 10th anniversary today of my first date with MrsL.

:cool:

Ollie the Optimist
19-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Well this is bullshit!

So last year, or maybe the year before actually, to much fanfare they announced that a stage show of Sister Act would be coming to London with Whoopi Goldberg, no less, reprising her role as Delores. I got excited so booked tickets. Was pricey, but I thought that given Whoopi was in it, it was worth it.

Then the world ended of course, so it didn't happen, so it got booted to this year.
Now they've moved it to next year amid the continued uncertainty.

So far, so fine. But now they've said that Whoopi Goldberg won't be in it but they're not providing partial refunds, so you still get to pay the same amount without the star attraction which led people to shell out the big bucks.

Well they can piss off!

(You can get a full refund, which is probably what I'll do)

Not sure i understand the logic of the theatre company here.

By refusing to offer a partial refund, i suspect most will probably cancel like you say you will mean the company has no ticket sales. Whereas if they said we’ll give everyone 10-20% back, i suspect most would probably accept and they can bank the money

Letters
19-02-2021, 06:41 PM
Not sure i understand the logic of the theatre company here.

By refusing to offer a partial refund, i suspect most will probably cancel like you say you will mean the company has no ticket sales. Whereas if they said we’ll give everyone 10-20% back, i suspect most would probably accept and they can bank the money

Agreed. Strange decision.
I guess if they’d said you can have 25% back I’d have been inclined to think “fine, it’ll be a nice day out next year”. As it is I suspect most people will just ask for their money back. I paid about £80 each and that was the “cheap” seats near the back.

LDG
19-02-2021, 11:16 PM
The hills are alive with the smell of bullshit

Letters
19-02-2021, 11:31 PM
That’s not even the same musical :angry:

Also. Kanye :pal:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56133017

GP
20-02-2021, 07:20 PM
Phillip is on the brink, it seems.

Mac76
20-02-2021, 07:29 PM
Doesn't sound like it from this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56141128

Ollie the Optimist
20-02-2021, 09:52 PM
Suspect if the Queen is photographed visiting the hospital then that would suggest Prince Philip won’t have much longer

Mac76
20-02-2021, 10:14 PM
Suspect if the Queen is photographed visiting the hospital then that would suggest Prince Philip won’t have much longer

Is that right, would you only visit a relative in hospital if they were about to die...?

Letters
20-02-2021, 10:42 PM
Is that right, would you only visit a relative in hospital if they were about to die...?

In the current situation, it’s a bit of a clue.

Mac76
21-02-2021, 10:39 AM
In the current situation, it’s a bit of a clue.

well given it's not even on the BBC news website today clearly it's perhaps not such a big deal...?

WMUG
21-02-2021, 01:52 PM
Do we get a day off if he snuffs it, or is that just Liz?

Letters
21-02-2021, 01:55 PM

He’d better hang on till the day off is at a time when we can actually go and do something

:angry:

Ollie the Optimist
21-02-2021, 02:16 PM

Only for the Queen I believe.

Quite a good article here about what happens https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

Mac76
21-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Only for the Queen I believe.

Quite a good article here about what happens https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

what happens is that a man who wishes he was a tampon will be king

Britain :pal:

Mac76
22-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Boris :bow:

leavers :bow:

project fear :bow:

https://smallbusinessprices.co.uk/brexit-index/

Ollie the Optimist
22-02-2021, 03:29 PM
what happens is that a man who wishes he was a tampon will be king

Britain :pal:

What?

GP
22-02-2021, 03:46 PM
Boris :bow:

leavers :bow:

project fear :bow:

https://smallbusinessprices.co.uk/brexit-index/

got are cuntry back

Mac76
22-02-2021, 03:58 PM
got are cuntry back

the only trouble is, it's sh*t

Mac76
22-02-2021, 04:05 PM
by the way it's still 'nothing to see here, move on' for Prince Phillip

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56150725

me :cool:

the rest of you :pal:

GP
22-02-2021, 04:09 PM
Yes, perfectly fine people often spend a week in hospital.

Mac76
22-02-2021, 04:18 PM
fancy it?

:threaten:

Letters
22-02-2021, 04:50 PM
This'll get NQ's tin foil hat a-tingling

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56154543

WMUG
23-02-2021, 03:15 PM
A colleague of mine was telling me how at an old job, his original contract, already signed by HR, accidentally had the per year salary listed as the per hour rate.

If he'd signed it would he actually have been entitled to around 600 grand a week if he'd taken it to court?

IBK
23-02-2021, 03:33 PM
A colleague of mine was telling me how at an old job, his original contract, already signed by HR, accidentally had the per year salary listed as the per hour rate.

If he'd signed it would he actually have been entitled to around 600 grand a week if he'd taken it to court?

Nope - his employer wpuld have sued for rectification of the conrtact - which is the remedy available where there has been an obvious mistake.

WMUG
23-02-2021, 03:54 PM
Having worked for the same company, I'm not sure they would've actually, given how incompetent they were :lol:

Mac76
23-02-2021, 03:55 PM
Nope - his employer wpuld have sued for rectification of the conrtact - which is the remedy available where there has been an obvious mistake.

spoilsport :(

IBK
23-02-2021, 05:12 PM
spoilsport :(

I guess so, yeah :lol:

LDG
23-02-2021, 08:39 PM
Tiger Woods has crashed his car again and smashed his legs to pieces apparently :rose:

Letters
23-02-2021, 08:41 PM
So he has

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/56172067

Mac76
23-02-2021, 08:56 PM
sh*t, that's bad :(

Ollie the Optimist
24-02-2021, 08:55 AM
Sounds like he had major surgery on his legs overnight with several broken bones.

I thought he wouldn’t play professional golf again when he did his back a few years ago but i was wrong then. Surely though, coming back from this will be difficult, especially to reach his previous high standards

Letters
24-02-2021, 09:52 AM
Musk :pal:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56174404

Mac76
24-02-2021, 09:59 AM
Musk :pal:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56174404

yes imagine being only the second richest person in the world - what a loser...

dazthegooner
24-02-2021, 10:29 AM
Think we should start a GoFundme page and help the poor guy out... :unsure:

GP
24-02-2021, 10:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bSwuDSLRkU

WMUG
24-02-2021, 12:55 PM
Payday tomorrow.

I get to watch a number on a screen get bigger.

yay.

Letters
24-02-2021, 01:38 PM
Numbers :bow:

We've spent a shitload this month.
Had to do the car tax, it was MrsL's birthday, we had to get a car tyre replaced, had to call a locksmith and then last night we bought all the "stuff" for our new bathrooms - we're having the main one and the en suite both done next month. Also thinking of booking a holiday now it looks like we can.

Have told MrsL we need to stop spending money like water next month* :(

(*well, apart from the bathroom, but we might not have to actually pay till April. And the MOT needs doing :crying:)

WMUG
24-02-2021, 02:14 PM
Advantage of renting is that you can get the property management company to do the maintenance for you, we've had a lot done since we moved in and they're really good for it.

Disadvantage of course is everything else :lol:

I just wish we had something to spend the money on.

Looks like we will do soon, I guess.

Marc Overmars
24-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Money spent on your property is the best place for it to be honest, it should only appreciate in time. Need to get the spare room done up soon as it’s been pretty much a dumping ground since we moved in 2 years ago.

Xhaka Can’t
24-02-2021, 02:24 PM
Hey man, can I crash at your pad?

Letters
24-02-2021, 03:17 PM
I KNEW it!

https://newsthump.com/2021/02/24/tony-blair-and-gordon-brown-finally-admit-they-are-daft-punk/

Mac76
24-02-2021, 07:41 PM
Money spent on your property is the best place for it to be honest, it should only appreciate in time. Need to get the spare room done up soon as it’s been pretty much a dumping ground since we moved in 2 years ago.

You're using it as a toilet?

Ok, ok... :getcoat:

GP
24-02-2021, 09:07 PM
Mono = One

Rail = Rail

Letters
24-02-2021, 09:24 PM
:doh:

Looking to book a holiday.
Everywhere is either sold out or ONE MILLION POUNDS.

:ilt:

Ollie the Optimist
24-02-2021, 09:29 PM
:doh:

Looking to book a holiday.
Everywhere is either sold out or ONE MILLION POUNDS.

:ilt:

Yeah my boss was saying today his Easter break was cancelled, they offered to rebook later in the year but the cost was almost double what he originally paid.

I’m still not sure about booking foreign holidays yet. I’d love to go away but its out of our control. Yes the governemnt can say you can go abroad but if Spain etc dont want us coming in then not much we can do.

Letters
24-02-2021, 09:34 PM
Not even thinking about abroad this year. But just looking at caravan sites and we have to deal with term times now the boy is at nursery.

Week before half term: £235.85
Week after half term: £240.50

Half term week... £641.85

I've always vaguely felt that this is unfair but it's never actually affected me before. Now I'm fuming! :lol: :(

Ollie the Optimist
24-02-2021, 09:39 PM
Not even thinking about abroad this year. But just looking at caravan sites and we have to deal with term times now the boy is at nursery.

Week before half term: £235.85
Week after half term: £240.50

Half term week... £641.85

I've always vaguely felt that this is unfair but it's never actually affected me before. Now I'm fuming! :lol: :(

Yeah luckily for now we dont have to worry about term times so that helps us :lol:

Although it does make me laugh that all the airlines have been begging people to stand by them, accept vouchers rather then cash refunds etc and as soon boris announces some hope of holidays, they whack the prices up. Obviously all will do it but still :lol:

Letters
24-02-2021, 09:49 PM
Tbh, I thought this was coming. Should have booked a while back - places all had money back guarantees anyway.
So it's partly my fault. And I know it's all about supply and demand but the sheer amount of difference in price means you understand why parents think "fuck it" and just take their kids out of school.
Our boy's only in nursery anyway so I think technically we could, but he's missed enough so we probably won't.

Marc Overmars
25-02-2021, 02:08 PM
So you can get items from Amazon for free. You literally only have to enter an automated chat and claim something never turned up and the bot gives you a refund no questions asked. :blink:

Screw you Bezos!

Letters
25-02-2021, 02:10 PM
You can get things from shops for free too. You just have to put it in your pocket and walk out.

Ollie the Optimist
25-02-2021, 02:23 PM
So you can get items from Amazon for free. You literally only have to enter an automated chat and claim something never turned up and the bot gives you a refund no questions asked. :blink:

Screw you Bezos!

Ive had it before where I’ve applied to return something for a refund and they just refund without wanting the item returned.

Usually its a small item like a DVD so guess it probably costs more to process the return then the refund

Mac76
25-02-2021, 06:11 PM
You can get things from shops for free too. You just have to put it in your pocket and walk out.

BREAKING: Letters is a shoplifter :lol:

LDG
25-02-2021, 08:34 PM

Thats how you were stolen

:ninja:

GP
25-02-2021, 08:34 PM
BREAKING: Letters is a shoplifter :lol:

shirtlifter

Letters
25-02-2021, 09:01 PM

<_<

That's a paddlin' :threaten:

Niall_Quinn
26-02-2021, 12:29 AM

With no refund.

Letters
26-02-2021, 10:20 AM
Make of this what you will!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56209007

Marc Overmars
26-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Probably better for her own safety that she stays out there. No doubt she’d get her head caved in if she was seen out in public here.

GP
26-02-2021, 11:29 AM
https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1365252717095059456

JO'B :bow:

Ollie the Optimist
26-02-2021, 11:43 AM
https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1365252717095059456

JO'B :bow:

He makes some interesting points but as far as i understand it, we cannot revoke citizenship if a person doenst have other citizenships themselves. Hence why when other British people have joined ISIS (or other terrorist groups) they didnt have their citizenship revoked as no other country could “claim” them.

In this case, she had Bangladeshi citizenship which is why the governemnt acted as it did. I think there is a similar case in Australia where they revoked an ISIS members citizenship and passed them to New Zealand.

I think there is another case here in the UK where Jihadi Jack had his citizenship revoked because he was also Canadian.

I suppose though a governemnt first duty is to protect its citizens so guess they will argue they are doing that by not letting in terrorists who lets face it, have shown no remorse. begum said in an intereview last summer that she did nothing wrong which even the interviewer seemed shocked by given she joined a terrorist group.

Letters
26-02-2021, 12:24 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56189600

I wonder what it identifies as :unsure:

IBK
26-02-2021, 12:32 PM

Maybe it can tweet us and let us know :good:

Letters
26-02-2021, 12:33 PM
:lol: Nice.

LDG
27-02-2021, 03:24 PM

Dunno, bit I bet it likes a cockatoo

Letters
27-02-2021, 04:13 PM
:rimshot: :d

Letters
01-03-2021, 01:42 PM
Cameo wanker!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/feb/27/the-inbetweeners-james-buckley-becomes-the-unlikely-king-of-cameo

Letters
02-03-2021, 08:47 AM
TRIGGERED!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56247655

Ollie the Optimist
02-03-2021, 08:59 AM
TRIGGERED!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56247655

Are people just not allowed to make jokes at all anymore?

Still amazed family guy ever got approved along with South Park given the stuff those shows have come out with!

Marc Overmars
02-03-2021, 09:03 AM
Serves her right for being a slag.

IBK
02-03-2021, 09:32 AM
Are people just not allowed to make jokes at all anymore?

Still amazed family guy ever got approved along with South Park given the stuff those shows have come out with!

This. I mean WTF? Woke = new puritans.

dazthegooner
02-03-2021, 09:50 AM
On a sad note Ian St John passes https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/12233291/ian-st-john-former-liverpool-and-scotland-striker-dies-aged-82 :rose:

Letters
02-03-2021, 09:55 AM
I can kinda understand her being put out - given that she apparently doesn't have a sense of humour and can't take a bit of a dig.
But calling it sexist?! :lol:
How so, sugartits*?

*see? that's sexism.

Letters
02-03-2021, 09:55 AM
On a sad note Ian St John passes https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/12233291/ian-st-john-former-liverpool-and-scotland-striker-dies-aged-82 :rose:

Oh :(

Saint and Greavsie :bow:

dazthegooner
02-03-2021, 10:13 AM
Oh :(

Saint and Greavsie :bow:

Used to love watching them both they worked so well together :good:

GP
02-03-2021, 10:29 AM
Serves her right for being a slag.

Easier than a two-piece jigsaw

IBK
02-03-2021, 11:56 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/56246444

...and the big deal is???

Letters
02-03-2021, 11:58 AM
Was he flogging it? :unsure:

IBK
02-03-2021, 12:01 PM
Was he flogging it? :unsure:

:ladynana:

dazthegooner
02-03-2021, 12:16 PM
BOOM!!!

Mac76
02-03-2021, 01:56 PM
how can you sit down on a dead horse 'without thinking'...?

you might lower yourself down but the moment you actually realised what it was you'd leap up - did he think someone had left a big comfy cushion in the middle of the paddock?

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2021, 02:21 PM
Ah yes, the pressing issues of the day. My brain hurts.

Ollie the Optimist
02-03-2021, 02:21 PM
Apart from just being a bit of an odd thing to do, is sitting on a dead horse really that big an issue?

Why is this person being banned from races etc over it?

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Apart from just being a bit of an odd thing to do, is sitting on a dead horse really that big an issue?

Why is this person being banned from races etc over it?

It's actually a perfect non-issue. Triviality and banality on a level that renders discussion of Harry's latests exploits pressing and of the gravest import.

Which is why it's a thing on GW.

Ollie the Optimist
02-03-2021, 02:28 PM
It's actually a perfect non-issue. Triviality and banality on a level that renders discussion of Harry's latests exploits pressing and of the gravest import.

It’s not just on GW though.

It’s on the bbc website, I’ve seen loads of people tweeting about it as all the horse racers have picked up the story.

WMUG
02-03-2021, 02:31 PM

This is the 'inane chatter' thread, what do you expect?

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2021, 02:34 PM
It’s not just on GW though.

It’s on the bbc website, I’ve seen loads of people tweeting about it as all the horse racers have picked up the story.

Absolutely right. It isn't just GW, I'm just picking on GW because I post here.

It's everywhere. All the time. Provided it is comprehensively unimportant, it's what makes our stunning advancements in communications so utterly depressing.

Then again, it's about all there's left to talk about, without the censors rushing in.

Which would be bearable, were it not for the fact the masses actually WANT to talk about it.

All dignity has gone. The naked emperor and his naked herd are laughing at those who wear clothes.

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2021, 02:35 PM
This is the 'inane chatter' thread, what do you expect?

The plural of brain cell?

WMUG
02-03-2021, 02:38 PM

There's room in life for a little brainless levity, wouldn't you say?

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2021, 02:43 PM
There's room in life for a little brainless levity, wouldn't you say?

There's a time and a place, but one should always make the time - of course.

All the time is excessive.

Letters
02-03-2021, 03:06 PM

It's interesting that after the Brexit "debate" where I suspect Remain lost the argument in part because they mainly resorted to calling the Leavers racist, thick and uninformed, that you think that calling people who don't see the world the way you do vile, thick and uninformed. Is that the way to have productive dialogue?

And don't say that people don't engage with you on here.
I and others have patiently responded to many of your posts using facts and data to refute your points and it bounces off you.
You persist in suspecting me of nefarious intent - something you seem to suspect many people of.
You attack my and other people's character and generally regard yourself as so much better informed than us poor "low information" saps, simply because you read different sources.

TL;DR - if you want to have productive debate on here then it would help if you assume good intent from others and engage with the content of their posts.

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2021, 03:22 PM
What kind of horse was it? Just out of interest?

My aunt had a horse once. She's dead now. I think the horse is probably dead too, because they don't live as long as humans, do they?

I'll have to check up on it. I'll let you all know. Mind you, after all these years I'm not sure if I'll get to the bottom of this most pressing issue. Could be flogging a dead horse. Oh no, that's been done, hasn't it?

Letters
02-03-2021, 04:14 PM
In other "woke" news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-56247935

Letters
03-03-2021, 07:55 AM
Going to the moon, brb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56261574

Mac76
03-03-2021, 08:28 AM
Going to the moon, brb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56261574

that's cool, i'm now desperately trying to work out what i can offer which benefits society - i gave a beggar 10p once i think...

Mac76
03-03-2021, 08:59 AM
"Doors and windows of nearby properties were blown out of their frames, while further damage was done to roofs as debris was fired more than 250m (820ft) through the air.

All residents were allowed to go back to their homes on Tuesday but some of the properties were "uninhabitable" according to Exeter City Council."

all i can say is, if that's what a 'controlled explosion' looks like i'd hate to see an uncontrolled one...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-56257366

Letters
03-03-2021, 09:08 AM
Germans :doh:

GP
03-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Needless to say, they had the last laugh.

Letters
03-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Bezos?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56266514

GP
03-03-2021, 06:46 PM
Cancel culture :thumbsdown:

Mac76
03-03-2021, 07:16 PM

:haha:

Letters
04-03-2021, 11:24 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56278445

Gawd bless 'im! :bow:

Mac76
04-03-2021, 12:37 PM
told you. no problem :cool:

you can all calm down now :lol:

IBK
04-03-2021, 02:05 PM

Oh FFS

Letters
04-03-2021, 03:01 PM
:lol: Pretty much.

Ollie the Optimist
04-03-2021, 05:42 PM
Looks like Letters has a bit of extra cash :ninja:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56281781

GP
04-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Patel is a horrible bitch

Letters
04-03-2021, 08:27 PM

I’m not that old, you cheeky sod! :angry:

LDG
04-03-2021, 11:00 PM
Patel is a horrible bitch

She’s also a woman

IBK
05-03-2021, 12:09 PM

That made me :lol:

GP
05-03-2021, 12:43 PM
I’m not that old, you cheeky sod! :angry:

Busy day down at the cracker factory?

Xhaka Can’t
06-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Busy day down at the cracker factory?

https://media4.giphy.com/media/rN56zT7PPl7qM/giphy.gif

Marc Overmars
08-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Harry & Meghan. :bow:

Letters
08-03-2021, 08:31 AM
<_< Off with their heads.

Letters
08-03-2021, 08:45 AM
Feminist FB friend taking the opportunity of International Women's Day to go on about the "patriarchy".
We work for the same organisation and we now have literal quotas at senior management level along gender and ethnic lines.
:rolleyes:

LDG
08-03-2021, 09:21 AM
Wiminn! :lol:

Awful gender

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2021, 01:22 PM
This whole Meghan & Harry thing is a complete mess.

If she suffered racist abuse then clearly that is wrong and not defendable. Genuinely though from memory, from the moment she joined the royal family as Harry’s girlfriend to their wedding, i though the coverage was positive. I dont remember negative stories about her, I think that started to change during the summer after their wedding.

During that summer, they did some incredibly stupid things like lecturing people on how bad flying is but then taking a private jet to go on Elton johns yacht. Not exactly a sure fire way to win support.

But some of the accusations they made in their interview last night dont make any sense. They say the royal family denied their son a title due to racism but their son wasnt entitled to become a prince by law (from memory this was changed by King George V so that only those in direct succession can be princes). At the time, their said they wouldn’t take up the title of Earl of Dumbarton for their son (which he is entitled to) and that was their decision and is outside the control of Buckingham palace as its not a royal title. This is also by Princess Euginie’s son is not a prince.

They have also admitted to what appears to be an illegal wedding by saying they got married 3 days before their actual wedding in the garden with just the Archbishop of Canterbury & the two of them. That would be illegal given you need two witnesses. But this also begs the question, if they just wanted a small private ceremony, why make the taxpayer pay millions so they can have their big wedding?

Thye clearly want a private life and good luck to them, but complainin the royal family cut them off financially last year is a bit rich when they just had to survive on the £40m inheritance left to Harry. How could they ever cope, they could only afford a house worth several million. Cry me a river.

If they want privacy and normality then go for it. Privacy to me does not mean telling the world the gender of my unborn baby, signing podcast deals with spoity, tv deals with Netflix and giving two exclusive interviews (Cordon & Oprah) knowing millions will watch.

Letters
08-03-2021, 02:05 PM
I saw this a while, which I thought was interesting.

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2021, 02:19 PM

It is an interesting listen and when you hear the headlines like that, not much debating over it.

But i think two key points are being missed in those comparisons. The first is that Kate had problems with the press before she married into the family. Her mother has always been seen a social climber and negative comments were made at the time. Kate also had topless photos of her published in the media (or was it in France) when some press took photos while she in a private villa.

The second point is most of those headlines on Meghan all appear after the wedding when opinions started to change as i mentioned due to their comments on flying etc.

We know the media here have problems, but there is a lot more to the problems with Harry & Meghan then that but they are not the only victims here for sure. Prince Edwards wife got caught out in a media sting, from memory it was the fake sheikh again, where she criticised the Queen.

Letters
08-03-2021, 02:55 PM
I basically agree, the gutter press are bastards and while I'm largely a fan of the monarchy it is an anachronism and as an "outsider" - especially someone not being brought up in this country - it must be incredibly hard to fit into. I read something about her not realising that she actually had to curtsey to the Queen in private, she thought that was just part of the public pomp and ceremony. It is all a bit crazy if you stop to think about it.

It all must be difficult, but...that's kinda the deal if you marry a Royal. And whining that you want privacy on national TV is pretty pathetic.
As is whining about being cut off financially when you removed yourself from the source of money and you have a bloody fortune compared to most people.

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2021, 03:09 PM
I basically agree, the gutter press are bastards and while I'm largely a fan of the monarchy it is an anachronism and as an "outsider" - especially someone not being brought up in this country - it must be incredibly hard to fit into. I read something about her not realising that she actually had to curtsey to the Queen in private, she thought that was just part of the public pomp and ceremony. It is all a bit crazy if you stop to think about it.

It all must be difficult, but...that's kinda the deal if you marry a Royal. And whining that you want privacy on national TV is pretty pathetic.
As is whining about being cut off financially when you removed yourself from the source of money and you have a bloody fortune compared to most people.

She alluded to that in her interview yesterday and also said that no one helped her with the national anthem so she had to resort to google. Well, you are an actress so learning lines shouldnt be an issue.

But surely on things like royal protocol or learning national anthem, the person who should have been helping her was her fiancée who surely knew all the protocols backwards. Why complain that the courtiers didnt do anything when harry should have been there anyway. Surely you’d expect your fiancée to help first before members of staff?

GP
08-03-2021, 03:09 PM
And it's all gone quiet over there

(pointing at Prince Andrew)

Marc Overmars
08-03-2021, 03:17 PM
It would be naive to think there isn’t an element of racism in an institution as old, white and as “proper” as the royal family. In fact I’d be surprised if I heard they were all welcoming, liberal people. Wouldn’t believe it for second.

I think Meghan was obviously in over her head and underestimated the press in this country along with her duties in the royal family. It’s a mess but I don’t see any issue with them choosing collectively to take a different path in life. It will still be a life of public service because of who Harry is but it will be done under their own control.

Can’t wait for the interview tonight and all the Netflix shit and everything they do. :popcorn:

Letters
08-03-2021, 03:31 PM
This is pretty funny :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3iNapDmd6c

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2021, 03:44 PM
It would be naive to think there isn’t an element of racism in an institution as old, white and as “proper” as the royal family. In fact I’d be surprised if I heard they were all welcoming, liberal people. Wouldn’t believe it for second.

I think Meghan was obviously in over her head and underestimated the press in this country along with her duties in the royal family. It’s a mess but I don’t see any issue with them choosing collectively to take a different path in life. It will still be a life of public service because of who Harry is but it will be done under their own control.

Can’t wait for the interview tonight and all the Netflix shit and everything they do. :popcorn:

How so?

Cutting deals with Netflix or Spotify cannot be classed as public service and nor is going to give a speech to Goldman Sachs etc.

If they take on charity work in the US, is that really public service given they are now effectively private citizens? I wouldn’t say charity work i or anyone else does can be classed as public service.

Marc Overmars
08-03-2021, 03:46 PM
To be honest I’m unsure on the definition of public service, I thought it was things like charity work etc. :shrug:

Letters
08-03-2021, 03:50 PM
They'll probably use some of their public profile to help charities and causes which they believe in, which can only be a good thing

Letters
08-03-2021, 11:03 PM
Oh FFS... :doh:

Now one of my feminist friends is claiming that the reason men's trousers have pockets in and women's don't is because they're in league with the handbag companies to make sure women keep buying handbags. Smash the patriarchy!

...nothing to do with women, in general, carrying more shit around and thus needing more space to do so than trouser pockets generally contain.

:rolleyes:

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2021, 11:14 PM
Equal rights for ugly wimmin!

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2021, 11:21 PM
How so?

Cutting deals with Netflix or Spotify cannot be classed as public service and nor is going to give a speech to Goldman Sachs etc.

If they take on charity work in the US, is that really public service given they are now effectively private citizens? I wouldn’t say charity work i or anyone else does can be classed as public service.

This kind of shit and attitude is why the whole monarchy shit should die with the Queen. I mean, seriously, I can’t believe people hold views like this. It is can only be from a lifetime of brainwashing from the wall to wall sycophancy this country has been subjected to by the vast majority of the media.

Imagine, caring about this?

I am invisible
09-03-2021, 08:11 AM
To be honest I’m unsure on the definition of public service, I thought it was things like charity work etc. :shrug:
It probably comes down to the degree of freedom you have to choose your cause (and if / when you get to walk away): Megan and Harry want to devote themselves to things that are important to them and use their status for positive influence, which is fine - hope they manage to do some good; ‘public’ service / duty is more about doing the job that your people need you to do, even if it’s boring or doesn’t necessarily align with your own political views (e.g. you wouldn’t be able to casually give your opinion about Donald Trump on social media because he’s a petty, vindictive character who your country might have had to negotiate a trade deal with). To that end, the statements from both camps could be true - service is universal, but a lifetime of public service / duty is something different.

I am invisible
09-03-2021, 08:13 AM
And it's all gone quiet over there

(pointing at Prince Andrew)
Yeah, quite.

Marc Overmars
09-03-2021, 09:02 AM
Surely the Palace will have to address the interview. They were slaughtered by them both. :lol:

Though I don’t think they did themselves any favours by revealing their baby’s skin colour was a topic raised but refused to mention who said it. That’s arguably more damaging.

I am invisible
09-03-2021, 09:08 AM

I listened to that on the radio - so brazen when you see / hear those headlines listed out like that!

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that the tabloids hate Megan, though. The tabloids LOVE Megan! She’s literally the gift that keeps on giving, if your business is selling headlines.

Positive, negative, it’s all the same to them - whatever sells. The fact that the negative headlines sell better probably says more about the public, and our collective addiction to outrage, than it does the press.

Letters
09-03-2021, 09:36 AM
Though I don’t think they did themselves any favours by revealing their baby’s skin colour was a topic raised but refused to mention who said it.
Yeah, that's a real head-scratcher :lol:

GP
09-03-2021, 09:41 AM
https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-it-looks-as-though-it-was-put-in-by-an-indian-he-later-backtracked-i-meant-to-say-cowboys-prince-philip-78-91-00.jpg

Letters
09-03-2021, 09:45 AM

Racism :bow:

Letters
09-03-2021, 09:50 AM
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/03/07/business/07-royals-oprah-liveblog-oprah-praiseStyles-01/merlin_184720440_7fe4081c-8a2e-47f2-b80e-21ca111a6277-articleLarge.jpg

Ian Wright, Wright, Wright!

IBK
09-03-2021, 09:53 AM
This whole Meghan & Harry thing is a complete mess.

If she suffered racist abuse then clearly that is wrong and not defendable. Genuinely though from memory, from the moment she joined the royal family as Harry’s girlfriend to their wedding, i though the coverage was positive. I dont remember negative stories about her, I think that started to change during the summer after their wedding.

During that summer, they did some incredibly stupid things like lecturing people on how bad flying is but then taking a private jet to go on Elton johns yacht. Not exactly a sure fire way to win support.

But some of the accusations they made in their interview last night dont make any sense. They say the royal family denied their son a title due to racism but their son wasnt entitled to become a prince by law (from memory this was changed by King George V so that only those in direct succession can be princes). At the time, their said they wouldn’t take up the title of Earl of Dumbarton for their son (which he is entitled to) and that was their decision and is outside the control of Buckingham palace as its not a royal title. This is also by Princess Euginie’s son is not a prince.

They have also admitted to what appears to be an illegal wedding by saying they got married 3 days before their actual wedding in the garden with just the Archbishop of Canterbury & the two of them. That would be illegal given you need two witnesses. But this also begs the question, if they just wanted a small private ceremony, why make the taxpayer pay millions so they can have their big wedding?

Thye clearly want a private life and good luck to them, but complainin the royal family cut them off financially last year is a bit rich when they just had to survive on the £40m inheritance left to Harry. How could they ever cope, they could only afford a house worth several million. Cry me a river.

If they want privacy and normality then go for it. Privacy to me does not mean telling the world the gender of my unborn baby, signing podcast deals with spoity, tv deals with Netflix and giving two exclusive interviews (Cordon & Oprah) knowing millions will watch.

Intersting seeing people's views on here.

Make no mistake, IMO the sides people are taking in this debate has less to do with the issues raised by both sides, and more to do with peoples' social attitiudes. If people are anti-elitist in general they hate the Royal Family and everything they stand for - will side with Meghan Markle and enjoy aristocrats getting what comes to them. If they are institutionalist and belive that the Royal Family has value in representing this country, they will take against her. All this tawdry affair does is increase social division and give people an excuse to indulge whatever prejudices they already have.

I say Meghan, because the idea that this is being orchestrated by Prince Harry is laughable. Without taking any sides, I kind of feel sorry for him.

I haven't watched the interview and won't because I have little interest in a media-orchestrated shit fest. But for me, the idea of Meghan Markle being a totally innocent victim in all of this is so far fetched. It's obvious that she was a bad fit in an institution that is about as far from Californian show biz and its associated norms and attitudes as it is possible to be, and I have no doubt that she suffered for this. But Diana she ain't, and its hard for me to warm to someone so privileged playing the race/victim card for what seem to be purely self-aggrandisement purposes.

Xhaka Can’t
09-03-2021, 01:58 PM
Meghan Markle shot Franz Ferdinand and celebrated by eating a bat in Wuhan with Hitler.

GP
09-03-2021, 02:02 PM
Meghan started the fire.

Xhaka Can’t
09-03-2021, 02:10 PM
Meghan Markle is the creator and chief writer of Mrs. Brown’s Boys.

Letters
09-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Meghan Markle is the creator and chief writer of Mrs. Brown’s Boys.

:lol: Too far :sulk:

selassie
09-03-2021, 03:10 PM

This.

I think the Media have been fueling the flames with the racism, I can't speak for the Royal Family, but from what Meghan has said it seems the racism (If you want to call it that) within the Royal Family has come from someone other than the Queen or Prince Charles.

I don't really care about any of it to be honest, it's embarrassing and a complete mess.

Ollie the Optimist
09-03-2021, 06:28 PM
Meghan claims her first scalp. Piers Morgan has quit Good Morning Britain.

tbh i don't think there will be many taking his side on this one ! :lol:

Letters
09-03-2021, 06:47 PM
https://newsthump.com/2021/03/09/we-only-asked-his-skin-colour-so-wed-know-whether-or-not-to-play-rap-music-at-the-christening/

Xhaka Can’t
09-03-2021, 07:53 PM

That’s positive news, so it must be something to do with Harry.

Letters
09-03-2021, 08:26 PM
Watching it now.

She’s basically claiming that Archie isn’t a prince because racism, it wasn’t explained to her why and she was told Archie wouldn’t get protection.

I’m calling bullshit on all of that. He isn’t a prince because of some boring royal protocol which has affected other direct descendants of the Queen. Of course that would have been explained to her and he’d have got protection.

For clarity, I’m not saying that she hasn’t been the victim of racism, but not everything is about race.

Letters
09-03-2021, 09:24 PM
Seen the rest now.

Wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be but overall it sounds like being in the Royal family is not much fun.

Ollie the Optimist
09-03-2021, 09:35 PM
Watching it now.

She’s basically claiming that Archie isn’t a prince because racism, it wasn’t explained to her why and she was told Archie wouldn’t get protection.

I’m calling bullshit on all of that. He isn’t a prince because of some boring royal protocol which has affected other direct descendants of the Queen. Of course that would have been explained to her and he’d have got protection.

For clarity, I’m not saying that she hasn’t been the victim of racism, but not everything is about race.

This is part of the problem of being interviewed by an American chat show host as they dont fully understand the workings of the royal family. If she made that claim here, the interviewer would have asked why she thinks it was racist given that both Princess Anne’s & Prince Edward’s children are not Princes or Princesses. Eugenie’s son, who i suppose is directly comparable to Archie in terms of being a great grandchild, also has no right to be a prince despite his mother being a princess by birth.

I think i said earlier, i struggle with other parts of her interview and not sure how believable it is. She talks about how no one helped her with protocol or even learning the national anthem. Fair enough, there is a lot of protocol around the Queen but surely the first person who should be asked (tbh they shouldnt even have to be asked) is your husband Prince Harry rather then expecting civil servants to brief you.

When it comes to her mental health, I’m sure it’s was a struggle. Marrying into the royal family is a huge undertaking given the responsibilities that come with it and I’m sure it was hard, especially as a huge culture change from being an outspoken American actress to a member of the British establishment who has to watch every word. I can also believe the Queen or Charles given their generation probably favor the stiff upper lip approach when it comes to mental health & therapy but i really struggle to believe that if civil servants in the palace or even the Queen herself was told by Meghan she was feeling suicidal that they would ignore it. I’m just not sure how plausible that is. Also at the time, Harry along with William had set up a mental health charity (Heads UP i think) so if Meghan told him the palace were ignoring her, surely again there was someone he could have contacted at his own charity for help?

Another thing that sounded false was her claiming they took her passport & driving licence away when she joined the family and was only allowed it back when she left for US a year ago. I suspect she might not have been allowed to drive here in teh UK as she would have security doing that for her but not sure fully how that works. The passport though i again don’t believe, she traveled to the US for a private baby shower, her & Harry also travelled in Europe to join Elton John on his private yacht. Both trips are not royal trips so i suspect those countries would have required passports for entry so clearly she still had it.

The interview showed them both up as quite naive in my opinion especially when it came to security. Harry seemed totally shocked when he was told it would be withdrawn when he left the family. YOu dont quit your job & still expect to be paid so why did he expect any different? Working royals only have security when working, the Queen, Charles & William have 24/7 security given they are direct succession. Even princess Anne doesnt have it 24/7.

Moaning they were cut off and just had to survive on what his mother left him also sounds pathetic. She left him £40 million, not exactly poverty. There is a lot of suspicion over the reasons they left and accusations they just want money etc. As private citizens, go for it, make as much as you want but dont sit there claiming you never had any intention & you only signed deals with Netflix as you forced into it to survive. When you have £40 million in the bank, you are not being forced to do anything.

I think Meghan woefully underestimated when marrying into the royal family meant and it truly was difficult for her. Hopefully mentally she & harry are in good places now and have a good life. They want to be private citizens so good luck but some of her claims are bullshit and deserve to be called out.

GP
09-03-2021, 10:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgS54fqKxf0

Ollie the Optimist
09-03-2021, 10:19 PM
I saw that on twitter earlier. Impressive camera work.

Wonder how many takes that took :lol:

Ollie the Optimist
10-03-2021, 03:33 PM
So a MET police officer has now been arrested on suspicion of murder over the disappearance of Sarah Everard last week in london.

I thought i read this morning they had been arrested in connection with the disappareance so to upgrade it to murder later in the day suggests that they now have evidence that she is no longer alive. Very sad :rose:

Mac76
10-03-2021, 03:41 PM
yes, sounds like the plot of one of those murder dramas doesn't it, but a bit different when it's real.

Ollie the Optimist
10-03-2021, 03:44 PM
Without knowing all the facts and of course, every chance that the police officer in question is entirely innocent, i do find it impressive how quickly the police can track a suspect. She went missing a week ago i think and they now have arrested someone. If it is the right person, that is impressively quick detective work especially as judging by the appeals on social media, they were desperately looking for footage of the area

Letters
10-03-2021, 04:49 PM
I really struggle to believe that if civil servants in the palace or even the Queen herself was told by Meghan she was feeling suicidal that they would ignore it. I’m just not sure how plausible that is.
This is a bit I do believe actually, but maybe my thoughts on that are coloured by watching The Crown where it sounds like Diana was treated pretty shabbily and didn't get help when she was struggling with bulimia.
I realise you need to take anything in that programme with a pinch of salt but overall it seems like the expectations put on a person when they join the monarchy are pretty high and when someone comes in without the cultural background of knowing what they're all about and then the press turn against them too it must be hard. The difference between Diana and Meghan is that Diana's marriage was a bit of a sham so she didn't even have that support.

Ollie the Optimist
10-03-2021, 05:38 PM
This is a bit I do believe actually, but maybe my thoughts on that are coloured by watching The Crown where it sounds like Diana was treated pretty shabbily and didn't get help when she was struggling with bulimia.
I realise you need to take anything in that programme with a pinch of salt but overall it seems like the expectations put on a person when they join the monarchy are pretty high and when someone comes in without the cultural background of knowing what they're all about and then the press turn against them too it must be hard. The difference between Diana and Meghan is that Diana's marriage was a bit of a sham so she didn't even have that support.

I agree that back in the 80s it would have been different but mental health was almost a taboo subject back then.

Today its very different. Harry & William very publicly launched a mental health campaign a few years ago and ran a charity for it. If it ever came out (well no longer an if) i suspect it would have done huge damage to their efforts with their charity etc.

Meghan said she went to HR about it which seems odd to me as a first port of call rather than one of the doctors working at the palace etc but given all we know about HR departments these days, i again struggle to believe they would reject it or hush it up. We get countless emails from work HR about our mental health in lockdown. Also didnt Harry & William both have therapy after their mother died? I’m sure i read that before but could be wrong.

selassie
11-03-2021, 10:49 AM

Piers had to quit over what he said, he made his position untenable even for his standards.