PDA

View Full Version : "Currants Bw..."

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129

Niall_Quinn
04-03-2023, 07:33 PM
How do you people make time to fawn on such banality? You do realise you are the pinnacle of biological evolution, right? Can you not find something worthy of those millions of years where nature worked its ass off?

WMUG
04-03-2023, 07:48 PM
How do you people make time to fawn on such banality? You do realise you are the pinnacle of biological evolution, right? Can you not find something worthy of those millions of years where nature worked its ass off?

Good evening. Not seen you around for a while.

Letters
04-03-2023, 07:50 PM

You say that like it’s a bad thing

Niall_Quinn
04-03-2023, 07:52 PM

No, very busy keeping things afloat through the collapse of western civilisation. Kind of got woken from it today by the start of the F1 season so checked in here to see if anything was happening. I guess I'm thinking back to a time where we could afford to be complacent.

How about you? Is all well?

Niall_Quinn
04-03-2023, 07:54 PM
You say that like it’s a bad thing

You really are the worst moderator that ever lived, aren't you? WMUG just did your job for you. But you are so inept you planted your size 2 shoe in your mouth.

WMUG
04-03-2023, 07:57 PM
No, very busy keeping things afloat through the collapse of western civilisation. Kind of got woken from it today by the start of the F1 season so checked in here to see if anything was happening. I guess I'm thinking back to a time where we could afford to be complacent.

How about you? Is all well?

Yeah not bad. Did some gardening today then watched the game.

Had a tradie in after I miserably failed to get a job done with a hammer and chisel, only for him to equally miserably fail.

Which is both annoying and a little bit validating.

Got a Sunday league game tomorrow to look forward to, but we're a bit short on numbers so could go horribly wrong.

Generally speaking, in much better shape than I have been for years, at least mentally. Got a job I enjoy, a loving partner, a house with a garden in the suburbs.

Living the middle class dream.

Letters
04-03-2023, 08:50 PM
You really are the worst moderator that ever lived, aren't you?
Right up there, although I would enter in to evidence Gary who forgot his own Admin password so couldn't even do any moderation tasks :lol:
(Sorry, Gary, but you did!)

HCZ_Reborn
04-03-2023, 09:15 PM

I wish I had your confidence to come out with such brazen hypocrisy

Niall_Quinn
05-03-2023, 03:39 AM
Yeah not bad. Did some gardening today then watched the game.

Had a tradie in after I miserably failed to get a job done with a hammer and chisel, only for him to equally miserably fail.

Which is both annoying and a little bit validating.

Got a Sunday league game tomorrow to look forward to, but we're a bit short on numbers so could go horribly wrong.

Generally speaking, in much better shape than I have been for years, at least mentally. Got a job I enjoy, a loving partner, a house with a garden in the suburbs.

Living the middle class dream.

I'm glad for you and I hope it lasts. I'll do whatever I can to make sure it does, but don't bank on it because there's hardly anything I can really do. A lot of this shit is on rails and heading in one direction.

Niall_Quinn
05-03-2023, 03:40 AM
I wish I had your confidence to come out with such brazen hypocrisy

That's just a throwaway comment meant to appeal to the braying audience. Why you need their applause is confusing.

Niall_Quinn
05-03-2023, 03:41 AM
Right up there, although I would enter in to evidence Gary who forgot his own Admin password so couldn't even do any moderation tasks :lol:
(Sorry, Gary, but you did!)

Go ahead and change the subject. Your modesty is almost as sincere as your godliness.

Letters
05-03-2023, 07:20 AM
3:41am :haha:
Holy shit dude, get help :haha:

Shaqiri Is Boss
07-03-2023, 08:31 PM
Have to say, I still can't stand working from home.

For no reason whatsoever I found myself running to Tesco at 4pm to buy a bottle of wine.

I can't be waiting that long to have a drink ffs :sulk:

Letters
07-03-2023, 10:22 PM
Pre-pandemic I was very much office based and liked it like that.
The option to work at home was good if I had an appointment or something, but I enjoyed the office environment and actually I liked the commute too. Gave me time to read. Have to say though I've got used to WAH. I was in the office on Monday and very few people were in. I went in to see some people but they were tied up in meetings all day and so was I. I had a fairly uninspiring lunch on my own and basically sat on my own all day. Might as well have been at home. I did manage to catch up with a few of them at the end of the day but it really wasn't worth going in for.
I do miss the commute, I should be able to make time to read at home but I tend not to. And if enough colleagues are in who I want to see then I like going in to see them. But most of my work is with overseas teams anyway, it doesn't really matter where I am. Quite enjoying staying at home now and being able to do the school run. Now it's completely the opposite, I like the option to go into the office if there's a reason to, but more often than not there isn't these days.

WMUG
08-03-2023, 08:30 AM
I have a hybrid situation where it's 3 days WFH, 2 days in the office. Everyone comes into the office on the same day so I we still get the social interaction and the benefits thereof on those days, but without having to wake up early to do the commute most days.

I really like it tbh.

Letters
08-03-2023, 09:04 AM
Aye. I think that's what a lot of people will do going forward. I'd be up for going in more if others are, but most people I know well are also working at home pretty much full time which renders going in a bit pointless.

HCZ_Reborn
08-03-2023, 09:39 AM
I’m on a rota where I have to go in one day a week (though that said I’ve been in once in the last three weeks)

Mac76
08-03-2023, 11:59 AM
I'm not a fan of offices, I'm too old to have to share my space with a bunch of random people - i like going into town for meetings someties although zoom works jsut as well on a lot of occasions and is much more efficient

HCZ_Reborn
08-03-2023, 12:39 PM
I'm not a fan of offices, I'm too old to have to share my space with a bunch of random people - i like going into town for meetings someties although zoom works jsut as well on a lot of occasions and is much more efficient

I do like the occasional human interaction, so despite my complaints about it being unnecessary and arbitrary to have an office rota when we don’t even have an office (we tend to grab the nearest available hot desking space) I can’t complain too much.

Marc Overmars
08-03-2023, 01:21 PM
I do 3 days in office and 2 at home. Prefer being in the office as I’m a bit of a social butterfly and enjoy the company of others. I feel like I’m more productive too when I’m not at home. I also enjoy commuting and the Central London life, it’s a nice escape.

I am grateful though in a way for the change in work set up. I’ve got to see my kid grow up through his formative years, something I just wouldn’t have been able to do if I was leaving the house at 7am and not getting in till 6pm 5 days a week.

HCZ_Reborn
08-03-2023, 09:28 PM
I like that instead of critiquing government immigration policy on its merits (or lack there of, the thing is the whole thing is intended to be a failure there’s a disclaimer in the white paper about how it might technically not be legally possible)

We are discussing Gary Fucking Lineker and his invocation of Godwin’s law

In political terms we call these people useful idiots (well useful for the government anyway)

Stupid cunt.

Letters
09-03-2023, 10:00 AM
Bet she didn't see that coming

https://news.sky.com/story/mystic-meg-one-of-britains-most-famous-astrologers-dies-aged-80-12829359

Oh, and :rose:

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 10:30 AM
Bet she didn't see that coming

https://news.sky.com/story/mystic-meg-one-of-britains-most-famous-astrologers-dies-aged-80-12829359

Oh, and :rose:

Predictable joke but it works so meh

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 10:31 AM
Also RIP Chaim Topol

Letters
09-03-2023, 10:34 AM
Oh! Didn't know he was still alive tbh. My nan took me to see The Fiddler on the Roof on stage as a kid and he was in it.

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 11:36 AM
Oh! Didn't know he was still alive tbh. My nan took me to see The Fiddler on the Roof on stage as a kid and he was in it.

It’s insane, he first played the role on broadway in the 1960s in his late twenties and was still playing Tevye on stage well into the 2010s.

Letters
09-03-2023, 12:06 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/09/pat-sharp-apologises-after-radio-show-axe-over-inappropriate-joke-18412600/

Sharp gave the woman – who Metro.co.uk is not naming – a T-shirt with his face on and quipped: ‘That’s the only way I’ll get on your t***s today.’

She later wrote about her experience online and reportedly said: ‘Yesterday I was publicly humiliated, in a sexual nature, by the celebrity host of an industry event, on stage in front of 400 of my colleagues and peers.

‘Afterwards I was in complete shock and hadn’t really processed what happened. Today I am struggling with it — I feel sad, dirty and, frankly, violated.

‘I have worked incredibly hard to earn my reputation and hopefully be an inspiration to other young women in the events industry.’

The woman added: ‘Yesterday however, I was belittled, sexualised and objectified in front of hundreds of people I respect.’

Oh DO fuck off.
Another one for the home for the terminally offended. :rolleyes:

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 12:14 PM
He’s 61? I feel old man…really old

Letters
09-03-2023, 12:27 PM
:lol: That's your takeaway from that?
I wonder how old the twins are...

Letters
09-03-2023, 12:28 PM
Oh, apparently Google is a thing...

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/pat-sharp-fun-house-fans-reunites-twin-stars-melanie-martina-b1023191.html

Mac76
09-03-2023, 01:00 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/09/pat-sharp-apologises-after-radio-show-axe-over-inappropriate-joke-18412600/

Oh DO fuck off.
Another one for the home for the terminally offended. :rolleyes:

sure, get that, and I agree with your sentiment when it comes to some things where terrible deep hurt is claimed but it's BS

but with the Pat Sharp thing you need to understand the normalisation of comments and behaviours like that which tbh just aren't acceptable - that woman probably felt completely humiliated

women still put up with a lot of unacceptable crap on public trasnport etc and it's important to send messages about it

it's also a quick win for everyone as he was about to leave and no doubt will be paid up until the original leaving date so he gets to put his feet up early

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 01:28 PM
sure, get that, and I agree with your sentiment when it comes to some things where terrible deep hurt is claimed but it's BS

but with the Pat Sharp thing you need to understand the normalisation of comments and behaviours like that which tbh just aren't acceptable - that woman probably felt completely humiliated

women still put up with a lot of unacceptable crap on public trasnport etc and it's important to send messages about it

it's also a quick win for everyone as he was about to leave and no doubt will be paid up until the original leaving date so he gets to put his feet up early

For me there is a disconnect between the offence and the punishment in many of these cases (not necessarily this one because as you’ve explained his contract was coming to an end and it’s as good as an excuse to part ways as any)

I am sympathetic with the view that making those kind of remarks isn’t really on, I’ve heard worse in the workplace but it’s generally because people know each other well enough to know that neither is going to take offence. This as far as I can see is what Pat Sharp has said to a stranger.

Im prepared to accept that he didn’t mean to cause this woman distress (in fact I’m almost sure he didn’t) but if his contract wasn’t near the end I think a more appropriate punishment would be him saying “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean anything by it and I certainly didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable but on reflection I can see why it did”

I think the thing to say to anyone who says “bloody snowflakes take offence at everything”. Imagine if that was your daughter, and if I had a teenage girl and some older bloke had made remarks like that…I’d want to shove his head down the bog.

Mac76
09-03-2023, 01:41 PM
:good:

Letters
09-03-2023, 01:48 PM
"Just because you're offended about something, that doesn't mean you're right" - Ricky Gervais.

Offence is subjective. In this case the joke doesn't even really work, the phrase "get on your tits" means to annoy someone, it's not a sexual thing at all.
This is the part that I rolled my eyes at:

"Afterwards I was in complete shock and hadn’t really processed what happened. Today I am struggling with it — I feel sad, dirty and, frankly, violated."

Really? I mean holy over-reaction, Batman.

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 02:02 PM
"Just because you're offended about something, that doesn't mean you're right" - Ricky Gervais.

Offence is subjective. In this case the joke doesn't even really work, the phrase "get on your tits" means to annoy someone, it's not a sexual thing at all.

"Afterwards I was in complete shock and hadn’t really processed what happened. Today I am struggling with it — I feel sad, dirty and, frankly, violated."

There’s a difference between making an offensive joke, and making a creepy comment. Get on your Tits in this case is being used as a double entendre.
Honestly I do largely agree with you about offence taking having currency it’s no right to have. But equally we are moving away from a world where we make lascivious comments about women and they are just expected to be ok with it.
Were her reactions OTT and cringe? For sure….but as I’m sure you and your good lady wife have actually spoken to each other as well as producing children…she might have told you about the remarks that have been made to her by pervy blokes who have then laughed it off with “I’m only joking love, cant you take a joke?”

I agree again that I don’t think Pat Sharp is some horrible woman hating piece of shit, my fondest memory of him was on Come Dine with Me in response to Michael Barrymore talking about how he has a girlfriend after having previously been in a relationship with a man. Just shrugs nonchalantly and says “well…every hole’s a goal”

I don’t want him to be cancelled, or made persona non grata. I just think in this instance…maybe don’t make that particular joke again to a woman you don’t know.

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 02:09 PM
I’m trying to be on my best behaviour when it comes to women. Yesterday on my counselling what’s app group loads of women were wishing each other happy International woman’s day. And despite my desire to respond by sending a picture of a six foot bloke in a dress and saying happy International womens day…I thought better of it.
Just because I can be a trolling c**t doesn’t mean I always have to be

Mac76
09-03-2023, 02:10 PM

well if you're having to quote that fat c**t Gervais you've truly lost the argument... :lol:

as HCZ said, you and Pat Sharp don't know the woman

being picked out in front of 400 people is traumatic in itself for a lot of people yet alone being at the end of a sexist joke

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 02:14 PM
well if you're having to quote that fat c**t Gervais you've truly lost the argument... :lol:

Not a big fan of Gervais as a comedian, nothing wrong with it just not my style. I found the standup he did last year very hit and miss. Some of his jokes are very funny especially the dark ones but on the whole tends to leave me cold. Not a big fan of After life either. Then again now I think about it I really did like Life’s too Short, the scene where Liam Neeson is considering doing stand up creases me up

But as a person I think he’s ok, I do agree with him that we put too much stock in offence taking…and I definitely agree with him about how virtuous celebrities are often massive hypocrites.

The podcast he does with Sam Harris is quite funny as well. I like Sam, but my one critique of him is that he’s often far too earnest….it’s like working with Ricky Gervais gives him permission to cut loose a bit and enjoy himself

Mac76
09-03-2023, 02:18 PM
Not a big fan of Gervais as a comedian, nothing wrong with it just not my style. I found the standup he did last year very hit and miss. Some of his jokes are very funny especially the dark ones but on the whole tends to leave me cold. Not a big fan of After life either. Then again now I think about it I really did like Life’s too Short, the scene where Liam Neeson is considering doing stand up creases me up

But as a person I think he’s ok, I do agree with him that we put too much stock in offence taking…and I definitely agree with him about how virtuous celebrities are often massive hypocrites.

The podcast he does with Sam Harris is quite funny as well. I like Sam, but my one critique of him is that he’s often far too earnest….it’s like working with Ricky Gervais gives him permission to cut loose a bit and enjoy himself

he's just an overrated smug git to me - but i'm sure he'd respect my right to say that, wouldn't he, and not take offence or anything...

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 02:27 PM
he's just an overrated smug git to me - but i'm sure he'd respect my right to say that, wouldn't he, and not take offence or anything...

Well yeah. I doubt he’d give a fuck in truth

I’m sympathetic with Letter’s claim that we give too much power to offence taking, although then again it depends who’s offence taking it is.

The whole issue with the Wakefield school for existence shows that we care more about the hurt feelings of a bunch of reactionary religious nut cases than we do about people who believe in liberal values, separation of religion and state and who are opposed to concepts of blasphemy having any place in our society.

And it certainly showed their hurt feelings were more important than the safety of a 14 year old boy on the spectrum or his mother who was forced to attend a disgraceful press conference where she had to wear a head scarf and prostrate herself to a bunch of misogynistic overgrown children.

Now that, that offends me

Mac76
09-03-2023, 02:50 PM
Well yeah. I doubt he’d give a fuck in truth

I’m sympathetic with Letter’s claim that we give too much power to offence taking, although then again it depends who’s offence taking it is.

The whole issue with the Wakefield school for existence shows that we care more about the hurt feelings of a bunch of reactionary religious nut cases than we do about people who believe in liberal values, separation of religion and state and who are opposed to concepts of blasphemy having any place in our society.

And it certainly showed their hurt feelings were more important than the safety of a 14 year old boy on the spectrum or his mother who was forced to attend a disgraceful press conference where she had to wear a head scarf and prostrate herself to a bunch of misogynistic overgrown children.

Now that, that offends me

that's just the police, who have neither any kind of moral compass or sense of commen sense application of the law, overreacting because they think they should, then fat c**ts like Nick Ferrari getting involved to show off their 'man of the people' credentials.

none of this stuff actually matters if it wasn't the howling right making such an issue of it

Letters
09-03-2023, 02:55 PM
I don’t want him to be cancelled, or made persona non grata. I just think in this instance…maybe don’t make that particular joke again to a woman you don’t know.
Well, he has apologised to be fair. I take the point about the fact he didn't know her. I think she's being ridiculous in her over-reaction, but I'd concede that a comment like that isn't one I'd meet to someone I'd just met.
EDIT: As I said, the joke doesn't even really work.

Gervais - love his stand up. Mostly like his TV shows although Series 3 of After Life got a bit mawkish. He's a good writer but a bit lazy at times, too many 2D caricatures rather than fleshed out characters. His best work was Extras IMO.

Mac76
09-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Well, he has apologised to be fair. I take the point about the fact he didn't know her. I think she's being ridiculous in her over-reaction, but I'd concede that a comment like that isn't one I'd meet to someone I'd just met.
EDIT: As I said, the joke doesn't even really work.

you keep calling it an 'overreaction' but i'll say again we're talking about being humiliated in front of 400 people ffs.

ok some people can take that stuff but others can't and she had the reasonable expectation that, while attending his event, she wouldn't be picked on like that

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 03:10 PM
that's just the police, who have neither any kind of moral compass or sense of commen sense application of the law, overreacting because they think they should, then fat c**ts like Nick Ferrari getting involved to show off their 'man of the people' credentials.

none of this stuff actually matters if it wasn't the howling right making such an issue of it

I’m sorry but that simply just won’t do

Saying it’s only important because the right turn it into culture war fodder is the same kind of dismissive bullshit that the liberal left does on trans issues.

It wasn’t Nick Ferrari or whoever else where I heard about this story it was BBC News and I was furious

Yes you’re right the police did do a shocking job of handling it, but why were they even involved to begin with?

And it’s not the first story of its kind, what about the teacher from Batley who is still in hiding?

Sweeping it under the carpet and pretending we don’t have an issue with a certain section of Muslims who believe strongly in responding aggressively to anything they view as blasphemy is not acceptable and it shouldn’t be acceptable to anyone who regards themselves as having liberal values.

Unless we have the courage of our convictions to stand our ground and say to these people “stop it, you’re not going to get your own way…and if you try and break the law to do so we will punish you”. The reason we don’t is three fold, one because we are afraid of potential violent reprisal, two we are scared of being seen as racist or islamaphobic and three the most damning of all oh we are just pandering to the right…as if somehow doing the right thing shouldn’t happen because it’s what the right wants.

Well no it’s not what the right wants, they thrive on the inaction and prevaricating of tolerant, liberal societies in order to scaremonger. Inaction by supposedly good people is what empowers the right.

Mac76
09-03-2023, 03:19 PM
I don't think we're really disagreeing, i was addressing the bit where you say "... shows that we care more about the hurt feelings of a bunch of reactionary religious nut cases "

who's "we"?

certainly for me, as long as it's not violent, abuseive or threatening I don't think anyone can complain if people question their religion

In these cases the public authorities should go back to basics and realise that any religion isn't more important than the overall society

any religous nuts who pursue any threatening behaviour should be subject to the same law and treatment that any other kind of threatening behaviour would warrant

HCZ_Reborn
09-03-2023, 03:45 PM
I don't think we're really disagreeing, i was addressing the bit where you say "... shows that we care more about the hurt feelings of a bunch of reactionary religious nut cases "

who's "we"?

certainly for me, as long as it's not violent, abuseive or threatening I don't think anyone can complain if people question their religion

In these cases the public authorities should go back to basics and realise that any religion isn't more important than the overall society

any religous nuts who pursue any threatening behaviour should be subject to the same law and treatment that any other kind of threatening behaviour would warrant

That would be lovely if it was happening, but I see too many people either ignoring the story either because frankly they think it shows respect for diversity by giving in the pressure exerted by sections of the Muslim community.

We have constant debates over whether the COE should be compelled to let their clergy marry gay couples but absolute silence at the fact that there’s outrage in the Muslim community that their children are going to schools where they are being taught that it’s ok to be gay.

Don’t get me wrong if a Muslim wants to be a homophobe they absolutely have that right, but they don’t have the right to demand that the school curriculum accommodates this

British society allows the Muslim Council of Britain to be self appointed spokesman for all the Muslims in the uk

We are told all the time by reformist Muslims, those who have left the faith and even just moderate believers of the extreme nature of beliefs of those in the community from antisemitism to the belief that apostates deserve to die.

We have a problem on our hands, and just ignoring it for the sake of community cohesion that doesn’t exist.

Ollie the Optimist
10-03-2023, 08:54 AM

who's "we"?

This is the problem. They aren’t seemingly subjected to the same laws as the rest of us.

The incident with the autistic boy scuffing a Koran has been recorded as a hate incident by police yet a 14 year old kid sent death threats to the autistic boy and police “gave him words of advice” ( https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/police-give-words-of-advice-to-boy-who-sent-death-threats-to-autistic-student-wh/ ). Now one of those incidents is a criminal offience the other is not. The police did not do their job properly.

I’m not saying that we should be routinely arresting 14 year olds but sending death threats is a criminal act. We also know when it comes to say football fans, the police do take action having arrested a 12 year old for racist tweets at Zaha https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/12/police-arrest-12-year-old-boy-after-racist-messages-are-sent-to-wilfried-zaha

As HCZ mentioned, the teacher in Batley is still in hiding yet committed no offence. We dont have blasphemy laws in this country, we should be free to discuss and mock religion as we see fit. The batley incident saw death threats made against teh teacher as well. The only criminal offences in both these situations seems to be ignored and police/local politicians etc focus on dealing with incidents that are not criminal at all.

Letters
10-03-2023, 09:28 AM
you keep calling it an 'overreaction' but i'll say again we're talking about being humiliated in front of 400 people ffs.
She claims to have felt humiliated, I'm calling bullshit on that. Or, at best, she's being a massive drama queen.
The phrase "get on your tits" is not sexual, basically everyone understands it to mean "get on your nerves".
It was a weak joke. It hurt her fee fees. He apologised. The end.
Or that should have been the end, he's apparently been sacked for it, which I find ridiculous.
I've literally no idea why this is in the papers.

Interestingly, I saw a thread about this on FB and looking at the comments a lot of people, both male and female, were agreeing with me that this lady is being ridiculous.
Which doesn't make me right of course, I'm not sure there is a right or wrong, it's subjective. But it does all seem like a storm in a D-Cup :cool:

HCZ_Reborn
10-03-2023, 10:19 AM
She claims to have felt humiliated, I'm calling bullshit on that. Or, at best, she's being a massive drama queen.
The phrase "get on your tits" is not sexual, basically everyone understands it to mean "get on your nerves".
It was a weak joke. It hurt her fee fees. He apologised. The end.
Or that should have been the end, he's apparently been sacked for it, which I find ridiculous.
I've literally no idea why this is in the papers.

Interestingly, I saw a thread about this on FB and looking at the comments a lot of people, both male and female, were agreeing with me that this lady is being ridiculous.
Which doesn't make me right of course, I'm not sure there is a right or wrong, it's subjective. But it does all seem like a storm in a D-Cup :cool:

Again missing the point, the point is moving away from a culture where women are told to get over themselves or it’s just a joke when they object to men making sexualised comments at them.

I agree with you that she overreacted, but equally I have to be mindful that it’s not my place to tell her that. Yes I think this also needs to be balanced against that we don’t want trial by social media pile on.

As I said the term get on your tits is an expression meaning get on your nerves, but Pat Sharp is using it as a double entendre. I think he’s making what he thinks is an innocuous smutty joke…but it does come across a bit lecherous especially with someone he doesn’t know.

I get your concern about cancel culture and I do honestly share it, but when women are already facing a battle where they are being eliminated as a sex class by a bunch of entitled freaks with autogynephilia….I just don’t think it quite strikes the right tone to say “calm down love it’s just a joke”

HCZ_Reborn
10-03-2023, 10:22 AM
Anyway probably time we move on from this subject, we don’t want to be chastised by NQ for failing to take the opportunities afforded to us as the apex of God’s creations (snigger) by discussing far more substantive and weighty issues like how female football commentators are a slippery slope to legalised paedophilia.

Letters
10-03-2023, 12:49 PM
NQ hasn't posted for a few days. I guess the internet has been turned off in his sector, what with the marshal law we're now under and all.

HCZ_Reborn
10-03-2023, 03:47 PM
NQ hasn't posted for a few days. I guess the internet has been turned off in his sector, what with the marshal law we're now under and all.

He only posts in the wee hours which frankly is a bit of a relief. I don’t want to single him out, but fuck me he’s draining. It’s not even the once libertarian now populist right playbook (his political opinions have never bothered me and still don’t but they are so removed from my own that it’s just too tiresome to debate because 90% of the time we are never going to come near a mutual accommodation and he’s not exactly the type of guy you can say agree to disagree to)

But he’s always been like this, and it never bothered me because he did at least have a fairly good sense of humour. But now it’s just relentless negativity (and yeah I’m a hypocrite because I’ve spent my time relentlessly ragging on Arteta) but frankly its too reminiscent of dealing with my mum when she was in one of her moods and everything was bad.

Difference is my mum wasn’t on a crusade to convert people (which is actually what he has explicitly stated is one of his motivations for coming here)

We used to have a lot of low level trolling and back and forth insult throwing on this place, and I have to say I was totally 100% here for that and that’s what made it tolerable because no one ever took anything that seriously. Now he’s just this black cloud of resentment because we refuse to see the world as he does.

And boy does he hate you, I’ve said to him…Letters could just chuck you off here so for all your abuse and hatred towards him, he’s pretty good natured about it.

But that’s my own personal code, if someone was constantly calling me a Cunt and it wasn’t jokingly meant…after a while I’d be like “why don’t you fuck off back into your alcoholic pit of despair”

He will take this as if I’m talking behind his back, even though he can read exactly what I’ve said and it’s not like I’m being especially nice to him to his face.

In reality I should as much as I hate to say it, take a few pages from mandela’s book and ignore NQ like Mandela does with me.

Letters
10-03-2023, 04:25 PM
For the lolz I looked at how much Eurovision Final tickets are going for on Viagogo.
First ones I found are £4130 each :lol:
I wouldn't go if you paid me, for the record, but holy shit that's ridiculous. They really need to get a grip on this, ban resale sites which allow you to set a price above face value, and stop the bots from skipping queues and mopping up the tickets. Although if you did the first of those it would probably greatly reduce the latter.

Xhaka Can’t
10-03-2023, 05:16 PM

Yeah, he may as well have got to cop a feel to warrant all those emotions.

Xhaka Can’t
10-03-2023, 05:29 PM
For the lolz I looked at how much Eurovision Final tickets are going for on Viagogo.
First ones I found are £4130 each :lol:
I wouldn't go if you paid me, for the record, but holy shit that's ridiculous. They really need to get a grip on this, ban resale sites which allow you to set a price above face value, and stop the bots from skipping queues and mopping up the tickets. Although if you did the first of those it would probably greatly reduce the latter.

I have to admit, if you paid me £4130 to go to Eurovision, I'd at least give it some consideration.

The Wengerbabies
10-03-2023, 07:26 PM
https://www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/news/several-dead-in-shooting-at-jehovahs-witness-church-in-hamburg/

Should be plenty of witnesses...

HCZ_Reborn
10-03-2023, 07:55 PM
I have to admit, if you paid me £4130 to go to Eurovision, I'd at least give it some consideration.

Make it an even five, and I’ll wear an EU flag and carry a sign saying I love Graham Norton

HCZ_Reborn
10-03-2023, 07:57 PM
https://www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/news/several-dead-in-shooting-at-jehovahs-witness-church-in-hamburg/

Should be plenty of witnesses...

They all believe the world is coming to an end so this must have been a profound disappointment to learn that was only true for some of them.

Although you also have to wonder how many died as a result of refusing life saving blood transfusions

Letters
20-03-2023, 10:42 PM
https://www.mediaite.com/politics/trump-tells-farmers-he-got-rid-of-the-death-tax-even-for-those-who-hate-their-children-have-fun/amp/

:haha:

The bit at the end where he rambles about people not loving their children. Oh for a really world class psychiatrist.

HCZ_Reborn
21-03-2023, 08:06 AM
https://www.mediaite.com/politics/trump-tells-farmers-he-got-rid-of-the-death-tax-even-for-those-who-hate-their-children-have-fun/amp/

The bit at the end where he rambles about people not loving their children. Oh for a really world class psychiatrist.

This is clearly a coded message in response to one of his children saying

“Hey pop, do you reckon there’s any chance that you lost that election?”

I actually feel sorry for Don Jnr, clearly looking for approval from Daddy that he’s never going to get

Doesn’t he get arrested today? Have to say I don’t like the guy at all but this feels very politically motivated…..if I had an opponent rambling on about the deep state I probably wouldn’t make the effort to prove his point by sending round Feds to take confidential documents and making him do the perp walk for something that you’re never going to convict him in court for.
He clearly is a crook and should be investigated but that goes for any politician or politician’s family member and although the story did look fatuous the media did go to sleep on the Hunter Biden laptop story and it’s exactly why people don’t trust mainstream media (because I do think there was concerted effort to shit can the story)

Letters
23-03-2023, 07:35 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-65058329

It’s political correctness gone made, I tells you

GP
23-03-2023, 10:12 PM
Biden :doh:

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2023, 01:41 PM
Humza Yousef to be the next First minister of Scotland

Now I know what it feels like to have been a Tory supporter when Corbyn was elected Labour leader.

The SNP are finished :yippee:

Letters
27-03-2023, 02:35 PM
I don't care about the SNP. But I did see a video on YouTube some time back which opined that the SNP's grip in Scotland made it hard for Labour to win any future general elections. So...yay?

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2023, 07:59 PM
I don't care about the SNP. But I did see a video on YouTube some time back which opined that the SNP's grip in Scotland made it hard for Labour to win any future general elections. So...yay?

Don’t give a fuck about Labour either. Although they are pissing off the right people by blocking Corbyn from standing

But the SNP have ruined Scotland and their stock response is to blame Westminster for their failings.

Policing, Education, Health all gone to shit

Could say the same about Transport but can’t blame them for that, Transport was shit in that country before they took over

They’ve also massively exerted political influence over the courts in a way Viktor Orban would admire.

Bunch of horrible cunts.

Mac76
27-03-2023, 08:37 PM
And if course everything's going so well in England, isn't it?

If i was Scottish I'd vote SNP whoever the leader was

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2023, 09:10 PM
And if course everything's going so well in England, isn't it?

If i was Scottish I'd vote SNP whoever the leader was

What has England got to do with anything?

England isn’t at risk of becoming a one party authoritarian state despite the whinnying of croissant munching “liberals”.

Humza Yousef is a man who as Cabinet secretary for Justice advocated people getting arrested for what they say in their own home under hate speech laws

As useless as the Tories are, never heard even their most swivel eyed fuckheads saying anything remotely similar

Their activists have bullied STV and BBC Scotland over anything seen remotely critical of the party

Scotland would become a “progressive” (what a fucking laugh that word is) Hungary if granted independence by that spiteful mob.

Like all Nationalist parties, they are a cancer on the political landscape. And it looks like chemotherapy is just round the corner

Mac76
27-03-2023, 11:23 PM
"Their activists have bullied STV and BBC Scotland over anything seen remotely critical of the party"

And the English Tory government tried to sell off Channel 4 because it was critical, and has reduced the BBC to a Tory mouthpiece

So the difference is...?

HCZ_Reborn
28-03-2023, 10:37 AM
"Their activists have bullied STV and BBC Scotland over anything seen remotely critical of the party"

And the English Tory government tried to sell off Channel 4 because it was critical, and has reduced the BBC to a Tory mouthpiece

So the difference is...?

The difference is there hasn’t been an attempt to intimidate journalists (down here we’ve only had Corbyn supporters do that)

The difference is the Tories even at their worst don’t run the type of election campaign that fat sack of shit Ian Blackford ran against Charles Kennedy, encouraging his activists to harass Kennedy with nuisance phone calls and even kicking his rubbish bins over. As well as making personal attacks about Kennedy’s drinking problem.

The Tories are totally cynical and self serving and deserve to be out at the next election. There really is a lack of information from the English Media for how poisonous, toxic and divisive the SNP are….how they blame Westminster for their own failings.

Letters
29-03-2023, 06:30 AM
Paul O’Grady :rose:

Never liked him much tbh. As in, I never thought he was that funny.

Mac76
29-03-2023, 08:36 PM
Paul O’Grady :rose:

Never liked him much tbh. As in, I never thought he was that funny.

He seemed completely obnoxious to me

Letters
29-03-2023, 09:24 PM
A FB friend described him as a “comedy legend” which I raised an eyebrow at.

LDG
29-03-2023, 09:34 PM
A FB friend described him as a “comedy legend” which I raised an eyebrow at.

Scouse tranny more like.

He was Radio 2 in more ways than one. Comfortable, passive, mainstream, shit.

HCZ_Reborn
30-03-2023, 07:59 AM
Comedy Legend is a bit much….essentially just light entertainment really….Les Dawson for a more tolerant audience

But no issue with the guy, seemed like genuine decent individual…even a patron for local animal sanctuary to me…helped prevent it from closing.

My late mum was a fan of his

Letters
30-03-2023, 08:37 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65120317

:partytime:

Letters
30-03-2023, 08:45 AM
Comedy Legend is a bit much….essentially just light entertainment really….Les Dawson for a more tolerant audience

He wasn't fit to lace Les Dawson's boots.

Have no particular issue with or opinion about him as a person really. But I never found him funny which for a comedian is a bit of a sticking point. Humour is subjective, obviously.

Mac76
30-03-2023, 08:55 AM
Les Dawson wasn't funny either

Python, Tony Hancock, Tommy Cooper and Laurel & Hardy aside (and those are very big asides), there was no-one funny on TV before the 80s when the Not the Nine O'clock News and Comedy Store crowd came along and shook it all up

Letters
30-03-2023, 09:06 AM
Les Dawson wasn't funny either
But...he played the piano wrong! :lol:
I find him funny. His writing is brilliant, the way he uses language.

Python, Tony Hancock, Tommy Cooper and Laurel & Hardy aside (and those are very big asides), there was no-one funny on TV before the 80s when the Not the Nine O'clock News and Comedy Store crowd came along and shook it all up
Morecambe & Wise are funny. Beyond that, and the ones you've mentioned, a lot of it is a bit "my mother in law..." and seems dated by modern standards.
There's some other good stuff though. Pete & Dud, Milligan's Q series, TW3. The Goons (more radio than TV),
Some of the sitcoms like Dad's Army and Steptoe and Son still stand up. Fawlty Towers was the 70s.

Mac76
30-03-2023, 09:43 AM
But...he played the piano wrong! :lol:
I find him funny. His writing is brilliant, the way he uses language.

Morecambe & Wise are funny. Beyond that, and the ones you've mentioned, a lot of it is a bit "my mother in law..." and seems dated by modern standards.
There's some other good stuff though. Pete & Dud, Milligan's Q series, TW3. The Goons (more radio than TV),
Some of the sitcoms like Dad's Army and Steptoe and Son still stand up. Fawlty Towers was the 70s.

Steptoe & Son should have stopped at the original one-off TV play

I thought about Morecambe and Wise and would tip my hat gently towards them but you're right about Milligan, comedy genius

i guess i'd wrap Fawlty up with Python

Dad's Army had it's moments but i's been repeated to death

actually I'd stand up for 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' - now deemed politically incorrect, it was the best Perry and Croft sitcom ever IMO, brilliant characters and writing with some actually quite pointed comments about class, heirarchy etc

Pete and Dud, TW3 and the Goons are all before my time - i realise the Goons influenced Python but like a lot of times when you listen a good band's stated influences, the influencer band aren't actually very good...

Actually I also used to like the Goodies although i realise some people think they're a bit naff

anyway, the point is, apart from all the above, what did pre-80s comedy ever do for us? :lol:

Letters
30-03-2023, 10:28 AM
Tim: "One day I'll be an Earl and an OBE"
Bill: "That'll make you an earlobe!"

The Goodies :bow:
:lol:

Mac76
30-03-2023, 11:18 AM
c'mon these are the guys who sent up Clockwork Orange :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwSu8i0_Zao

Letters
30-03-2023, 12:34 PM
I wasn't being sarcastic. Dad was a big fan of The Goodies and indoctrinated me back in the day :d

Mac76
30-03-2023, 12:47 PM
I wasn't being sarcastic. Dad was a big fan of The Goodies and indoctrinated me back in the day :d

They were a blend of silly humour with some more anarchic bits, a bit hit and miss but had their moments - I think their problem was that some of it seems a little childish when you watch as a grown up but it's got its moments

Letters
30-03-2023, 01:21 PM
Tell you who I can't stand - Charlie Chaplin.
He's held up as this genius. And I guess you have to assess his stuff by the standards of the time and concede he was doing some pretty innovative stuff.
But...just never really find his stuff funny.
Harold Lloyd I have more time for.

Mac76
30-03-2023, 01:31 PM
Tell you who I can't stand - Charlie Chaplin.
He's held up as this genius. And I guess you have to assess his stuff by the standards of the time and concede he was doing some pretty innovative stuff.
But...just never really find his stuff funny.
Harold Lloyd I have more time for.

agree with that view of Chaplin 100%, he's just totally annoying IMO

also agree re Lloyd, Buster Keaton was OK too

Letters
30-03-2023, 10:43 PM
Orange man sad :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65132553

:pal:

WMUG
31-03-2023, 03:36 PM
Tadpoles in the pond :d

Letters
31-03-2023, 03:38 PM
Is that sexy slang?

Letters
03-04-2023, 05:33 PM
Another small step :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65165845

GP
03-04-2023, 05:36 PM
I think I've seen this movie. The black guy always dies first.

Letters
03-04-2023, 05:40 PM
Apollo Creed 13?

HCZ_Reborn
05-04-2023, 02:21 PM
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/04/trump-criminal-indictment-charges-consequences/673634/

This indictment is a big nothing burger

Letters
05-04-2023, 03:26 PM
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/04/trump-criminal-indictment-charges-consequences/673634/

This indictment is a big nothing burger

As I saw someone say elsewhere, they probably didn't want to get Al Capone on tax evasion, but whatever they could make stick.

HCZ_Reborn
05-04-2023, 05:16 PM
As I saw someone say elsewhere, they probably didn't want to get Al Capone on tax evasion, but whatever they could make stick.

Difference is they wanted to get anything to stick to Al Capone in order to get him off the streets. If they are hoping this will derail his political hopes…I can’t see it.

We are in a position where this man was only prevented from ignoring election results and staying in office by those within his own party who decided to actually stick to the rules. Such people will be removed and replaced by sycophants. And if a narrative is created by which he is seen to being targeted by the corrupt political establishment….is there going to be much outcry if he gets the state electorate to award him the electoral college points in states he doesn’t carry (and that’s even assuming he loses the election which can’t be guaranteed)

Letters
05-04-2023, 05:36 PM
I’d be amazed if he won another election.
I don’t even think the GOP would select him as their candidate.
There are some Trump sycophants left in the party but quite a few turned against him when they saw the way the wind was blowing.
I was surprised Trump won in 2016 but, looking back, there was a big “Anyone but Hillary” vote. After the way he handled the pandemic and his actions after the election, culminating in the events of January 6th, he surely wouldn’t win another election and therefore I can’t see the GOP nominating him as their candidate.
If they did then he would get a lot of votes. There’s a hard core of support for him who would vote for him no matter what. But I don’t think it would be enough to win an election. It wasn’t last time, and that was before his behaviour since the election.

Letters
06-04-2023, 11:21 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-65186831

Holy shit the reaction, or rather overreaction, to his death has been ridiculous.

HCZ_Reborn
06-04-2023, 11:56 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-65186831

Holy shit the reaction, or rather overreaction, to his death has been ridiculous.

You get a lot of statues of people in Liverpool, there’s one of Ken Dodd that was erected a few years ago.

Letters
06-04-2023, 12:30 PM
You get a lot of statues of people in Liverpool, there’s one of Ken Dodd that was erected a few years ago.

But he is a genuine comedy legend.
Grady...not so much.

Mac76
06-04-2023, 01:10 PM
But he is a genuine comedy legend.
Grady...not so much.

I think you're pushing it with Dodd ('legend' :lol:), though I admit that, unlike O'Grady, he didn't actaully make me want to throw up

and yes the gush culture we have now is just too much

Letters
11-04-2023, 07:15 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65237293

They tried to keep a lid on this…but they couldn’t find the right one.

:rimshot:

Mac76
11-04-2023, 08:10 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65237293

They tried to keep a lid on this…but they couldn’t find the right one.

:rimshot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qo5uRpNdc&feature=youtu.be

Letters
21-04-2023, 08:23 AM
A rant:

I was asked to do something in a system. I don't really know what I'm doing but I thought I'd have a go.
Went to the first screen, filled in all the fields but the Next button was greyed out. No error message. No indication of what I'd got wrong.

So I emailed someone who I knew could help. He replied that in one field I have to pick something from the dropdown and not just enter free text.
But the field allows you to add free text and clearly isn't a dropdown.
I pointed this out and he told me you have to either enter the start of the thing I want, or type %%% to see the list.

:blink:

So...it IS a dropdown, but you have to either know what item you want and type the start of it, or you have to know the super secret code so it shows the options.
And it allows you to enter free text, but if you do that then you can't proceed and there is no error message telling you why.

Piss off... :doh: :fury:

HCZ_Reborn
21-04-2023, 08:27 AM
A rant:

I was asked to do something in a system. I don't really know what I'm doing but I thought I'd have a go.
Went to the first screen, filled in all the fields but the Next button was greyed out. No error message. No indication of what I'd got wrong.

So I emailed someone who I knew could help. He replied that in one field I have to pick something from the dropdown and not just enter free text.
But the field allows you to add free text and clearly isn't a dropdown.
I pointed this out and he told me you have to either enter the start of the thing I want, or type %%% to see the list.

:blink:

So...it IS a dropdown, but you have to either know what item you want and type the start of it, or you have to know the super secret code so it shows the options.
And it allows you to enter free text, but if you do that then you can't proceed and there is no error message telling you why.

Piss off... :doh: :fury:

It’s the way you tell them

But yeah probably something you’d want to iron out before making it for mass use

Letters
21-04-2023, 08:37 AM
It’s the way you tell them
:lol: That's why I use this place to try out new material.

But yeah probably something you’d want to iron out before making it for mass use
Oh this is a live system, one of the systems we use. It's not ours, we just have to use it.
I've been asked to do something in it. I've never used it and it's the least intuitive system I've ever seen.

HCZ_Reborn
21-04-2023, 08:50 AM
:lol: That's why I use this place to try out new material.

Oh this is a live system, one of the systems we use. It's not ours, we just have to use it.
I've been asked to do something in it. I've never used it and it's the least intuitive system I've ever seen.

Try using SAP for anything other than accounts payable functions and that’s a whole other level of counterintuitive

Letters
21-04-2023, 08:58 AM
Try using SAP for anything other than accounts payable functions and that’s a whole other level of counterintuitive

Yeah. When I started here we had to do our expenses in SAP.
No-one understood how to apart from one bloke, so we used to get him to do it.
Now we use Concur which I think just sits on top of SAP and does all the stupid stuff you don't understand behind the scenes.
It's actually quite nice to use.

Letters
21-04-2023, 04:23 PM
While I'm moaning about stuff...
Had a fun call from the local council today to tell me there were some monies owed for my dad's care home.
Only thing about that is my dad died in 2020. So...
:doh:

I told them to get lost and contact the executor.
I had a brief panic when I looked back at my old emails from the time and found one in which I said to the executor that I could pay the outstanding amount. But subsequent to that I found another email where she explained that was her job. And my last email to her was one explaining that the money was due to the council (it was cheaper going via Social Services, they paid the care home and I paid them). That email had the outstanding invoices attached and a scan of a letter I had from the council with the outstanding balance.

So... :fingers:

Letters
22-04-2023, 11:27 AM
Barry Humphries :rose:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65328507

HCZ_Reborn
23-04-2023, 07:50 AM
Barry Humphries :rose:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65328507

Guy was brilliant whichever guise he was in, off the cuff and sometimes with a completely dead pan delivery

Letters
23-04-2023, 01:55 PM
Aye. Saw him a couple of times live. Did Dame Edna and Sir Les.
Always good value.

HCZ_Reborn
23-04-2023, 02:03 PM
When you hear the attack warning, you and your family must take cover

Letters
23-04-2023, 02:36 PM
It doesn’t seem like that good a system.
I was on my phone anyway when the alert came through and I managed to dismiss the message without realising it or being able to read the message. Not ideal in the event of nuclear attack or alien invasion

McNamara That Ghost...
23-04-2023, 03:22 PM
I apparently had text to speech on for emergency settings so I also had an American voice read out the message too.

That was surprising.

Mac76
23-04-2023, 03:31 PM
It made me jump, but then i was putting a new hard drive in my PC at the time, so it wasn't ideal timing, I thought it was a warning I'd damaged something ..

Letters
24-04-2023, 09:13 AM
Len Goodman

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65373373

:rose:

Niall_Quinn
25-04-2023, 01:29 AM
It made me jump, but then i was putting a new hard drive in my PC at the time, so it wasn't ideal timing, I thought it was a warning I'd damaged something ..

Don't be so hard on yourself. No harm done. It was merely you being a sheep by not disabling the state hijacking of your property.

I was in a service station on the M1 when the predictably fucked-up effort went off - 4 times. So I looked around. Those who had to reach for their phones were predictably the dick people, in the main (assuming some innocents just forgot to turn the shit off in advance). The ones who carried on munching their lunch unperturbed seemed human.

Letters
25-04-2023, 06:23 AM
Was the service station one of the checkpoints in your sector?
I guess you had to get home before curfew or the army would have been after you.

;)

Mac76
25-04-2023, 07:24 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself. No harm done. It was merely you being a sheep by not disabling the state hijacking of your property.

I was in a service station on the M1 when the predictably fucked-up effort went off - 4 times. So I looked around. Those who had to reach for their phones were predictably the dick people, in the main (assuming some innocents just forgot to turn the shit off in advance). The ones who carried on munching their lunch unperturbed seemed human.

Tbh while i'd seen it was happening I hadn't noted exactly when, I couldn't really care less, but I think even you might raise an eyebrow if there suddenly a loud jarring noise when you were in the middle of doing something important

Niall_Quinn
25-04-2023, 10:56 AM
Was the service station one of the checkpoints in your sector?
I guess you had to get home before curfew or the army would have been after you.

;)

So you haven't noticed the checkpoints going up yet? You are quite unobservant.

Niall_Quinn
25-04-2023, 11:00 AM
Tbh while i'd seen it was happening I hadn't noted exactly when, I couldn't really care less, but I think even you might raise an eyebrow if there suddenly a loud jarring noise when you were in the middle of doing something important

True enough, very distracting under some circumstances.

While I was driving I kept seeing notices from our civil "servants" flashing on the big new notice displays that have started appearing on every major route - "HANDS OFF YOUR PHONE"

Yessir!

Does that include when your stupid alert goes off?

I wonder who these people think they actually are?

Niall_Quinn
25-04-2023, 11:00 AM

True enough, very distracting under some circumstances.

While I was driving I kept seeing notices from our civil "servants" flashing on the big new notice displays that have started appearing on every major route - "HANDS OFF YOUR PHONE"

Yessir!

Does that include when your stupid alert goes off?

I wonder who these people think they actually are?

Letters
25-04-2023, 02:35 PM
In today's edition of "I didn't know he was still alive"

https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/25/music-legend-harry-belafonte-dies-aged-96-18671823

Well. He isn't, but you know what I mean

Mac76
25-04-2023, 03:12 PM
In today's edition of "I didn't know he was still alive"

https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/25/music-legend-harry-belafonte-dies-aged-96-18671823

Well. He isn't, but you know what I mean

I was the same with Barry Humphries the other day, could have sworn he'd died ages ago

Letters
25-04-2023, 03:38 PM
In other news, all that forelock tugging finally paid off.
I got tickets in the ballot for the Coronation Concert!
Although...the lineup does look a bit shit.
But I think it'll be a bit exciting being there.

Mac76
25-04-2023, 03:58 PM
i honestly wouldn't go if you paid me,but each to his own ...

will you be wearing a Tim Brooke-Taylor style Union Jack waistcoat? :lol:

Letters
25-04-2023, 04:09 PM

I should get one.

60% of Take That will be there. And Katy Perry. Yeah...to be honest now the moment has worn off I'm not that fussed about this. But it's a free concert and something to say "I was there" at, so...meh.

Letters
25-04-2023, 04:43 PM
Oh :doh:

Except no, I'm not going to the Coronation Concert. Apparently I didn't get tickets in the first ballot, it was some supplementary ballot and first come first served.
The email really wasn't that sodding clear, it said I had till Thursday lunchtime to claim the tickets. Then in small writing it said it was first come, first served but that wasn't at all clear.

:doh:

Crap lineup anyway :sulk:

HCZ_Reborn
25-04-2023, 04:55 PM
i honestly wouldn't go if you paid me,but each to his own ...

will you be wearing a Tim Brooke-Taylor style Union Jack waistcoat? :lol:

I’d go if you paid me but you’d be looking at at least a four figure sum and up front

Letters
25-04-2023, 05:49 PM
If there was a concert with that lineup then tbh I wouldn’t be buying tickets.
But it’s the principle of how shitty the messaging was.
The first email said “congratulations”, said I’d been successful in the ballot.
Now to be fair I didn’t read the next bit where it said this was supplementary ballot which was first come, first served. But the messaging in the first paragraph and email subject made it sound like all I had to do was claim the tickets. Under the link where you did that it said I had till Thursday lunchtime. So…

:fury:

Letters
25-04-2023, 05:59 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65387085.amp

Exactly. Fuck you, TicketMaster :fingers:

Shaqiri Is Boss
25-04-2023, 06:00 PM
I'm dreading Eurovision being here in a couple of weeks, can't begin to think how bad being in London for the coronation will be :sick:

I'm down in London for a couple of days next month, twice, for work so I will be on my bill, any tips on where to go, food, couple of pints? I know, I know, it's London. There are a million places every square mile, but you don't ask....

Will be around Canary Wharf area for work then.... Well I haven't booked anywhere yet so I was going to splash out a bit for the hotel. Then realised the already-hideous prices have skyrocketed since I was last down there. So not really splashing, more a really expensive puddle.

Letters
25-04-2023, 06:48 PM
And by “people” you mean “not you”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65308769

Marc Overmars
25-04-2023, 08:49 PM
I'm dreading Eurovision being here in a couple of weeks, can't begin to think how bad being in London for the coronation will be :sick:

I'm down in London for a couple of days next month, twice, for work so I will be on my bill, any tips on where to go, food, couple of pints? I know, I know, it's London. There are a million places every square mile, but you don't ask....

Will be around Canary Wharf area for work then.... Well I haven't booked anywhere yet so I was going to splash out a bit for the hotel. Then realised the already-hideous prices have skyrocketed since I was last down there. So not really splashing, more a really expensive puddle.

Kingly Court in Soho has some decent food spots.

Box Park Shoreditch and Seven Dials Covent Garden are also great if you want the street food kind of vibe.

Mac76
25-04-2023, 09:07 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65387085.amp

Exactly. Fuck you, TicketMaster :fingers:

Well sounds like you dodged a bullet anyway

Letters
26-04-2023, 05:46 AM
Well sounds like you dodged a bullet anyway

It is probably going to be a bit shit tbf, it’s more the principle of being excited that I’d been selected in a ballot for free tickets to a national event. Starting to plan the logistics, getting excited about a rare night away with the missus (we planned to dump the kids at the in laws and we’d thought about booking a hotel for the night). And then it was all a bit deflating when I found I’d sort of been scammed.

HCZ_Reborn
27-04-2023, 09:33 AM
Getting a lot of stick for pointing out large areas of london are shit holes where no sensible person would walk around by themselves at night.

“Oh Hackney is massively gentrified”

I couldn’t give a fuck how many luxury flats you build, still no less likely to get jumped at night

Marc Overmars
27-04-2023, 09:42 AM
I love London but yeah it’s pretty much a dump unless you’re in one of the nicer suburbs.

HCZ_Reborn
27-04-2023, 09:44 AM
I love London but yeah it’s pretty much a dump unless you’re in one of the nicer suburbs.

Not me can’t stand the place, nothing to do with how many blacks or Asians live there as don’t give a shit about things like that.

But it’s ridiculously expensive and full of rude tossers

I support Arsenal because my father grew up in Islington no other reason

Letters
27-04-2023, 10:28 AM
But it’s ridiculously expensive and full of rude tossers
Fuck you!

HCZ_Reborn
27-04-2023, 10:29 AM
Fuck you!

Case in point :haha:

Letters
27-04-2023, 10:59 AM
thatsthejoke.jpg

HCZ_Reborn
27-04-2023, 11:06 AM
thatsthejoke.jpg

Is that a joke related to how primitive this page is that you can’t just copy and drop memes etc into here

IBK
27-04-2023, 11:14 AM
thatsthejoke.jpg

Letters
27-04-2023, 11:15 AM
<_<

Letters
27-04-2023, 02:33 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/27/jerry-springer-dead-tv-legend-dies-aged-79-18686297

Jerry Springer :rose:

HCZ_Reborn
28-04-2023, 10:42 AM
My sister in laws younger sister got married today to some Belgian guy (in Belgium) I had been invited to the wedding and said I was going to go, but looked at Eurostar tickets at 250 quid and thought fuck that…plus who the fuck goes to Belgium unless you’ve got sufficiently good reason.
Lots of Facebook photos, sent a sheepish congratulations messsge

Letters
28-04-2023, 11:25 AM
Isn't Bruges supposed to be nice?

HCZ_Reborn
28-04-2023, 11:28 AM
Isn't Bruges supposed to be nice?

I guess it is if you take someone there after fucking up a hit job and accidentally killing a kid, and your boss wants you to have a nice holiday before he puts one in your head

Letters
28-04-2023, 11:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTmVO9y_QP0

Letters
28-04-2023, 11:57 AM
can't begin to think how bad being in London for the coronation will be :sick:
This by the way. London is bloody massive. There will be a little bit in the centre of London which will be carnage for a few days.
The rest of London will be BAU.

Mac76
28-04-2023, 12:01 PM
This by the way. London is bloody massive. There will be a little bit in the centre of London which will be carnage for a few days.
The rest of London will be BAU.

kinda although we're right on the edge of London but there will be some things - there's one house near me already decked out with a great big UJ plus bunting, i suspect it won't be the only one but it shouldn't be too bad - there was a street party nearby for whatever the last big royal event was (Queen Coronation anniversary or something - i don't remember) but mercifully it was sufficiently far away that we couldn't hear the music or anything

Letters
28-04-2023, 12:13 PM
I kinda gatecrashed a nearby street party for the jubilee. Not randomly, I have friends in the road. Well, I know the daughter of the couple in the road and her husband. Kinda know the parents too but not that well. TL;DR, the boy enjoyed having his face painted and getting ice cream.
I don't think there's anything planned locally round here for this. we're not that neighbourly round here which is how I like it.

HCZ_Reborn
28-04-2023, 01:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTmVO9y_QP0

I love that film. Also highly recommend The Guard

HCZ_Reborn
28-04-2023, 01:03 PM
kinda although we're right on the edge of London but there will be some things - there's one house near me already decked out with a great big UJ plus bunting, i suspect it won't be the only one but it shouldn't be too bad - there was a street party nearby for whatever the last big royal event was (Queen Coronation anniversary or something - i don't remember) but mercifully it was sufficiently far away that we couldn't hear the music or anything

Tottenham are the only team pencilled in to play on Saturday May 6th in London

Frankly surprised they didn’t shift it to a Sunday or mid week or some shit.

Don’t know what it will be like for Spuds fans getting down the A10 that day :haha:

Though anyone for whatever reason thinking of driving into London that day needs to be potentially sectioned

Marc Overmars
28-04-2023, 02:13 PM
Kinda intrigued by this coronation thing. I mean I don’t really care but I guess it’s something that majority of us have never seen in our lifetime.

Certainly not celebrating in any jingoistic way though. I live in a cul de sac mostly with older couples as neighbours, I’m sure they’ll have the bunting out soon enough.

HCZ_Reborn
28-04-2023, 02:34 PM
Kinda intrigued by this coronation thing. I mean I don’t really care but I guess it’s something that majority of us have never seen in our lifetime.

Certainly not celebrating in any jingoistic way though. I live in a cul de sac mostly with older couples as neighbours, I’m sure they’ll have the bunting out soon enough.

I won’t go out of my way to avoid it, but neither will I go out of my way to watch it either. Certainly staying the fuck away from London. My Scottish cousin wanted to go to london to see it, I said I’d tried to get tickets for the Abbey but didn’t hold out much hope :haha:

I liked the Queen, I don’t like Charles I’ve always considered him a jug earred waste of space (not out of any love for his late first wife…couldn’t stand her either). But I’m prepared to judge him as King based on how he behaves as King.

When the old girl died back in September, NQ mentioned that he thought Charles would be the worst king we’ve ever had, because he believed that he would be unable to keep his trap shut about the “issues” he cares about. And have to say I was kind of of that view myself (though stated he’d have to go some way to topple Edward VIII from that particular throne) but that said so far so good…he’s kept his mouth shut and hasn’t tried (as far as I know) to unduly influence the political realm.

I don’t know maybe as Prince of Wales he thought he could get away with it, but knows as King it’s an potential abdication offence

Letters
28-04-2023, 08:02 PM
I reckon Charles is doing pretty well
By which I mean he’s not really doing anything. Which is kind of his job.
Just be there and don’t say anything stupid.

The Wengerbabies
30-04-2023, 11:30 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65435426

Fuck off

HCZ_Reborn
30-04-2023, 11:56 AM

Fuck off

Good luck with that :haha:

Mac76
30-04-2023, 02:13 PM
I reckon Charles is doing pretty well
By which I mean he’s not really doing anything. Which is kind of his job.
Just be there and don’t say anything stupid.

He and the King's Escort are a couple of adulterers who were essentially responsble for what subsequently happened to Diana - like Diana or not she was treated like shite

Of course the irony is it will be a lot of the same people who lined the streets for her funeral that will be cheering on this sorry pair next weekend

Letters
30-04-2023, 03:21 PM

Fuck off

I also don’t know what “invited” means

Letters
30-04-2023, 03:24 PM
He and the King's Escort are a couple of adulterers
Oh yeah, and Diana was a model of marital fidelity of course.

who were essentially responsble for what subsequently happened to Diana
Not even remotely.

like Diana or not she was treated like shite
Probably true, but she wasn’t exactly a model of propriety either.

HCZ_Reborn
30-04-2023, 03:42 PM
He and the King's Escort are a couple of adulterers who were essentially responsble for what subsequently happened to Diana - like Diana or not she was treated like shite

Of course the irony is it will be a lot of the same people who lined the streets for her funeral that will be cheering on this sorry pair next weekend

They were both as bad as each other, both empty headed attention seekers

And what happened to her was completely on her. No one made her not wear a seatbelt or induce a driver over the legal limit to go faster. Fuck her, it was her own fault

HCZ_Reborn
04-05-2023, 09:48 AM
Put a x in a box on a rectangular white piece of paper day is upon us again

It’s easy to go with the “they’re all the same” mantra but literally the fliers for local election candidates are all making the same pledges. Ban ULEZ expansion, ban fly tipping (I’m pretty sure it’s already illegal) and take action on anti social behaviour.

I think whoever wins will get by without my cross in a box

Letters
04-05-2023, 10:14 AM
Is this the one there's been all the hoo-har about because you need photo ID?
I haven't seen any information from any candidates around here. I don't think I got a polling card. Maybe they're not happening in this area? :unsure:
Either way I don't think I understand the question so won't bother to answer it.

Letters
04-05-2023, 10:16 AM
Oh. Doesn't look like there's anything going on round here.

Letters
04-05-2023, 10:18 AM
I did walk past a ULEZ protest on Saturday. It wasn't that big, maybe a dozen people waving placards at cars, some of whom were beeping in agreement.
I don't know what I think about ULEZ.

HCZ_Reborn
04-05-2023, 10:24 AM
I did walk past a ULEZ protest on Saturday. It wasn't that big, maybe a dozen people waving placards at cars, some of whom were beeping in agreement.
I don't know what I think about ULEZ.

Couldn’t give a fuck as I don’t live in london and think anyone driving there needs their heads examined

But I think it’s a bit much to try and expand it beyond the M25. I think local councils in home county border districts are well within their rights to tell Khan to fuck off

HCZ_Reborn
04-05-2023, 10:29 AM
Oh. Doesn't look like there's anything going on round here.

Not every council has wards up for re-election every year.

I’ve only voted once in the last six years. Tories can’t be honest with us, Labour is largely an uninspiring mess and as for the Lib Dem’s :haha: what’s even the point of them anymore….I used to have some respect for them when Charles Kennedy was leader but maybe that was my naivety.

The More left progressive parties all adopt some form of support for gender woo

And the further right you go, you might as well be watching a conspiracy YouTube channel that hasn’t been demonetised yet

Fuck them all

Letters
04-05-2023, 10:32 AM
I don't care because my car is compliant anyway.
My father in law will have to pay when he visits though.

Mac76
04-05-2023, 10:38 AM
yeah our car is compliant too and it's a 1.4 - no one needs a bigger engine than that to drive legally on UK roads so no problem IMO

GP
04-05-2023, 11:22 AM
I think most of my cars are compliant.

HCZ_Reborn
04-05-2023, 11:26 AM
The issue is more a london based initiative trying to extend beyond its geographical mandate

WMUG
04-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Couldn’t give a fuck as I don’t live in london and think anyone driving there needs their heads examined

But I think it’s a bit much to try and expand it beyond the M25. I think local councils in home county border districts are well within their rights to tell Khan to fuck off

It's not being expanded beyond the M25, only to the Greater London boundary.

HCZ_Reborn
04-05-2023, 02:42 PM
It's not being expanded beyond the M25, only to the Greater London boundary.

Well someone should explain that to the local boroughs outside of the M25 such as my local council which seem to have the distinct impression otherwise

Letters
04-05-2023, 02:47 PM
Isn't it simply that if you're somewhere close to London then there's a fair chance you'll be travelling in and out of the M25 with some regularity, so the ULEZ thing affects you even if you're not actually in it?

:unsure:

HCZ_Reborn
04-05-2023, 03:26 PM
Isn't it simply that if you're somewhere close to London then there's a fair chance you'll be travelling in and out of the M25 with some regularity, so the ULEZ thing affects you even if you're not actually in it?

No ULEZ has affected people driving into towns in Essex like Romford from other areas of Essex for years, like with the DART crossing, it’s just something people albeit reluctantly accept. The plan appears now to actually spread the charge further into the Home Counties

WMUG
04-05-2023, 03:38 PM
No ULEZ has affected people driving into towns in Essex like Romford from other areas of Essex for years, like with the DART crossing, it’s just something people albeit reluctantly accept. The plan appears now to actually spread the charge further into the Home Counties

Technically, Romford is in London and has been since 1965 :geek:

It also isn't in the current ULEZ, so not sure where you're getting that from (https://lruc.content.tfl.gov.uk/ulez-boundary-2021-map-local-detail.pdf. )

Do you have a source for expanding into the home counties? I don't see how that could be possible, given the Mayor of London position only has jurisdiction over... well, London.

Could be that you're getting confused about where the modern boundary of London is? Because it includes some places that historically have been considered part of the Home Counties, like Havering, Bexley, Richmond and Uxbridge that were eaten up by Greater London in 1965, as I say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAusbJmRB0c (this is worth a watch btw, it's very good!)

Unless you've got some other information I've not come across?

HCZ_Reborn
04-05-2023, 04:38 PM
Romford is still Essex even if it comes under the GLA

But the planned extension is to take it right to the borderlines where drivers in Essex could get caught up in the ULEZ just by being on the A12/A1023 for example, London Transport extends all the way into just outside Brentwood so someone going to the junction where the A1023 intersects with the M25 just as a short cut

I mention Brentwood as it’s my local council and there seems to be cross party support for opposition to ULEZ

WMUG
04-05-2023, 04:56 PM

So basically this then.

Romford is in the historical county of Essex but the ceremonial county of Greater London, hence "technically".

It's all quite confusing.

Frankly Brentwood Council can oppose the ULEZ all they want, but they have no power to stop it, AFAIK, given that they're not in the GLA. Maybe legal challenges? No idea what, if any, merit they'd have.

HCZ_Reborn
04-05-2023, 05:07 PM
So basically this then.

Romford is in the historical county of Essex but the ceremonial county of Greater London, hence "technically".

It's all quite confusing.

Frankly Brentwood Council can oppose the ULEZ all they want, but they have no power to stop it, AFAIK, given that they're not in the GLA. Maybe legal challenges? No idea what, if any, merit they'd have.

There’s a difference between travelling somewhere like Romford where you know you will be caught up in ULEZ and shoving it right up to the borders where it touches towns like Brentwood. And I think there is going to be a lot of territorial dispute over this.
The point is ULEZ won’t actually change the cars people drive it’s just sticking a london based tax and pressing it further ahead where if you live in a town like Brentwood you can’t avoid getting caught up in it, and on top of council tax paying a de facto Tax to a city we don’t live in. Fuck them.

This is the kind of thing that makes your average Brit hate London

WMUG
04-05-2023, 05:27 PM
I'm not really seeing a difference there, other than you live in Brentwood and not Romford, so it'll effect you soon like it currently does Romford residents.

As it stands, the ULEZ boundary is near Romford, so people there have to take it into account if they drive a non compliant vehicle. With the expansion, the boundary will be near Brentwood, meaning you'll have to take it into account if you drive a non compliant vehicle.

Why is that OK for Romford but not for Brentwood?

HCZ_Reborn
04-05-2023, 05:46 PM
I'm not really seeing a difference there, other than you live in Brentwood and not Romford, so it'll effect you soon like it currently does Romford residents.

As it stands, the ULEZ boundary is near Romford, so people there have to take it into account if they drive a non compliant vehicle. With the expansion, the boundary will be near Brentwood, meaning you'll have to take it into account if you drive a non compliant vehicle.

Why is that OK for Romford but not for Brentwood?

Romford as you say is part of the GLA, Brentwood is not. Romford gets to vote for the Mayor of London who introduces such laws, Brentwood does not

Letters
04-05-2023, 06:10 PM
Ah, crap

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/04/ed-sheeran-wins-copyright-case-after-being-accused-of-copying-marvin-gaye-18725702/

More Ed Sheeran music it is then (he’d “threatened” to retire if he lost)

Mac76
05-05-2023, 09:52 AM
Oh, what a shame...

https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23500016.london-weather-heavy-rain-expected-kings-coronation-weekend/

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2023, 09:55 AM
This cuckoo king is a clever bastard, or he's being advised by imaginative vipers. He's managed to throw in as many divisive fuck-yous as possible. No wonder God is raining on his parade.

WMUG
05-05-2023, 09:57 AM
Romford as you say is part of the GLA, Brentwood is not. Romford gets to vote for the Mayor of London who introduces such laws, Brentwood does not

That's fair. There is an argument to be made that the GLA should be expanded to include towns like Brentwood, Watford, Borehamwood etc so that they have some influence over the city next door that has such influence over them.

Then again, where does it end? If the GLA expands to include them, it'll just put itself next to other towns which will then be in the same position :lol:

In the end, it's the Mayor's job to govern in his own jurisdiction's interests. If France make a policy that pisses off Germany, Germany can complain all they want but ultimately it's up to France to do what's best for them. I'd argue the same applies here.

And we haven't even discussed the merits of the policy itself, which seems pretty good: financially disincentivise people from driving the vehicles that contribute most to the poor health of people living in the city.

Letters
05-05-2023, 10:00 AM
Oh, what a shame...

https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23500016.london-weather-heavy-rain-expected-kings-coronation-weekend/

Through work I could have applied to go - not to the actual Abbey, but to sit outside in the stands by Buck House and spend the day doffing my hat. No guarantee I'd have got tickets but I did consider entering the ballot.
Glad I didn't now :lol: Although apart from the "I was there" factor, most of it is going to be pretty bloody boring.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2023, 10:23 AM
That's fair. There is an argument to be made that the GLA should be expanded to include towns like Brentwood, Watford, Borehamwood etc so that they have some influence over the city next door that has such influence over them.

Then again, where does it end? If the GLA expands to include them, it'll just put itself next to other towns which will then be in the same position :lol:

In the end, it's the Mayor's job to govern in his own jurisdiction's interests. If France make a policy that pisses off Germany, Germany can complain all they want but ultimately it's up to France to do what's best for them. I'd argue the same applies here.

And we haven't even discussed the merits of the policy itself, which seems pretty good: financially disincentivise people from driving the vehicles that contribute most to the poor health of people living in the city.

You mean financially soak the poor who have no choice? Is there any evidence a well maintained small vehicle harms the health of people living in the city, by comparison to a new SUV or Khan's fleet of 12mpg guzzlers?

In fact is there any evidence air quality in the outer boroughs has contributed to any health problems at all?

But, most importantly, is there any evidence man-made climate change is a real thing? Because that's the excuse for this outrageous authoritarianism and attack on civil liberties. No. Not a single scrap of evidence beyond declarations from financially invested parties and the academics they fund, with their carefully tweaked post 1950 models. And of course this ties in neatly with our new king who is very much at the heart of the next great thing. It's all coming together nicely for the anti-science, authoritarian, let them eat bugs, your papers please cult.

"My car is complaint so I have nothing to worry about." Compliant today, you mean? How long do you think that will last if people bend over and allow this to become the norm? How long before ludicrously unsustainable EVs are the only "option"? And then how long after that before ludicrously unattainable EVs are declared ludicrously unsustainable?

Why do you think the 15 minute city is becoming a thing? Everything within a 15 minute walk or public transport? Are there enough pieces for you to guess what's on the box?

WMUG
05-05-2023, 10:37 AM
A lot to unpick there and frankly there are other ways I'd rather spend my time.

I will say that you're 100% right that EVs are absolutely not the solution to anything. Air quality? Maybe a slight improvement over the status quo, but that's it.

Congestion? Identical to ICE vehicles. Sedentary lifestyle? Identical. Danger to people walking and cycling? Identical. Danger to other people driving? Identical. Production costs? Arguably worse, what with the lithium mining required.

The real solution to any of these issues is investment in all other kinds of transport. That means greatly increased bus and rail services, cycling infrastructure, a ban on pavement parking, housing development with amenities within walking and cycling distance and plenty of other things. One idea I've heard is GPS-tracked speed limiting, like what currently exists on rented e-scooters. I imagine that would horrify you :lol:

Fundamentally what needs to change is the idea that transporting people by car is desirable. It just makes everything worse for everyone involved, and should be a last resort.

Letters
05-05-2023, 10:45 AM
A lot to unpick there and frankly there are other ways I'd rather spend my time.
Well you're no fun <_<

WMUG
05-05-2023, 10:52 AM
Well you're no fun <_<

You're better at it than me anyway :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
05-05-2023, 12:24 PM
I’m going to stick with only engaging with NQ on football, in fairness to him he actually makes a lot of good points about players etc

In terms of politics/worldview…I waste too much time debating with people on twitter and given both of us have the tendency to write essays when a sentence/paragraph will do there’s not enough hours in the day.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2023, 01:30 PM
The TLDR; version. If you look at each issue in isolation you're missing the rather obvious big picture.

WMUG
05-05-2023, 01:57 PM
The TLDR; version. If you look at each issue in isolation you're missing the rather obvious big picture.

That they're coming to get me?

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2023, 02:09 PM
That they're coming to get me?

They couldn't give a shit about you. It's your money they want. The fact people are prepared to hand it over so easily, given what it takes to obtain it these days, surprises me. I'd have thought anuses would be too bruised for yet another round so soon.

HCZ_Reborn
05-05-2023, 02:20 PM
They couldn't give a shit about you. It's your money they want. The fact people are prepared to hand it over so easily, given what it takes to obtain it these days, surprises me. I'd have thought anuses would be too bruised for yet another round so soon.

It’s my money they want?

You could knock me down with a feather

Letters
05-05-2023, 02:44 PM
In fact is there any evidence air quality in the outer boroughs has contributed to any health problems at all?
Yes.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2023, 02:44 PM
It’s my money they want?

You could knock me down with a feather

Well, not just your money. And not even money I suppose. Currency. But your property too. And your consumer choice, right down to the last penny loaned and spent - digitally, of course.

Read the manual. It's free.

Not because "they" fit Letter's vision of a gang of villains plotting around a table (that boy and his imagination). But because they are shit scared. And by "they" I mean the individuals who have gathered the bulk of wealth and privilege to themselves as they watch the increasingly seething majority hustle for a crumb. "They" know who they are, and the people who use "they" to pretend they don't exist know very well who they are. We're "us" in case there's any confusion.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2023, 02:45 PM
Yes.

Go on then. And, before you begin, fair warning. I already know the answer to this one. But do you?

Letters
05-05-2023, 03:09 PM
Go on then
Nah. Come on, dude. You know how this one goes. Let's not waste both of our times.
But I will say one thing, I mentioned this conversation to the mum of one of the boy's classmates. She's in environmental health, specialising in air quality.
I asked her the question you posed above, she said "of course there is!"
I could ask her for details, or look them up myself. As could you.
It can be true that bad air quality is detrimental to health AND that ULEZ is a money grab. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2023, 05:36 PM
Yes please.

Letters
06-05-2023, 07:50 AM
Ok. I’m going to say it.

Even I’m getting a little bored of the BBC’s fawning :lol:

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2023, 08:13 AM
Ok. I’m going to say it.

Don't tell me we're invading Iraq, AGAIN!

Letters
06-05-2023, 08:24 AM
Third time’s the charm :shrug:

HCZ_Reborn
06-05-2023, 08:30 AM
Ok. I’m going to say it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65507435

Well I don’t find this boring, I find this sinister

I think Republicans are silly people…not for wanting to disband the monarchy….I think that’s a reasonable opinion (just not one I care enough about to feel passionate with) but the way they go about it and alienate people who mostly like myself don’t care one way or the other

But to be arrested for what, holding placards and wearing t-shirts. I hope they bloody sue

Letters
06-05-2023, 09:38 AM
Mmm. I guess they were always going to make sure that anything that could disrupt the “big day” was stopped. But I agree people should have the right to peaceful protest.

It’s literally raining on his parade. :lol:

HCZ_Reborn
06-05-2023, 09:57 AM
Mmm. I guess they were always going to make sure that anything that could disrupt the “big day” was stopped. But I agree people should have the right to peaceful protest.

It’s literally raining on his parade. :lol:

To police an event is to prevent violence and major disruption not a few silly harmless people wearing T-shirts and booing. The MET is the reverse Midas it fucks up everything it touches. And its attitude helps no one, unless we want to live in a situation where everyone is left to defend themselves and apart from a certain poster on here no one wants that.

All we have is the Home Secretary and the London Mayor passing the buck over which of them is to blame for the sorry state of the organisation where as they should be working together to correct it. Not standing by whilst resources are wasted arresting people for wearing T-shirts, saying mean things online or upholding ridiculous Covid laws about outside gatherings and arresting those holding a candlelit vigil for a woman raped and murdered by one of their own officers.

HCZ_Reborn
06-05-2023, 10:48 AM
Also I think it’s a disgrace that Charles and Camilla automatically qualify for the Champions League

Letters
06-05-2023, 11:23 AM
:haha: A mate made a similar comment.

Letters
06-05-2023, 12:15 PM
Some people are on The Mall, they think it’s all over, it is now.

The Wengerbabies
06-05-2023, 01:25 PM
https://i.ibb.co/VLFs98H/Screenshot-from-2023-05-06-14-21-11.png

We think you might be thinking about being annoying. wtf is this shit?

But those wankers constantly blocking roads are okay.

Cunts.

Letters
06-05-2023, 02:52 PM
But those wankers constantly blocking roads are okay.

Isn't it that the laws were in response to?

HCZ_Reborn
06-05-2023, 03:13 PM
Isn't it that the laws were in response to?

The thing is we did already have the power to arrest or move people on from obstructing the public highway, we just flinch a bit when it involves ripping their hand from the asphalt they’ve glued it to (frog police don’t have any such qualms but unless you’re borderline psychotic you don’t generally become a policeman in France…it’s not quite a pre-requisite but it helps)

What’s different is the penalty, which has changed from fixed penalty notices to potential imprisonment. Which on one hand has me Haw Hawing Nelson style, on the other hand it feels like we already have an overcrowded prison system and much rather put them to work.
Like the dickheads who flung the statue in the River Avon, they should have been forced to retrieve it and whilst they were there made to fish out the condoms and crisp packets

Letters
07-05-2023, 07:48 PM
Holy shit this concert is awful.
Am not sorry I didn’t get tickets after all :lol:

Niall_Quinn
08-05-2023, 10:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHbyQ_AQP8c

A video about climate change and 911. Though not directly. But it does do a good job explaining scope, proportion and scale. Once you get a grasp on scale you can easily dismiss the climate change scam using compulsory common sense. Unless you are in the cult, In which case you are immune to science. But not necessarily common sense. Hopefully.

As for 911, well we knew about that hundreds of years ago and the tried and tested has held true to this day. Amazing, but also the foundation of every real thing in our world. I mean we can speculate on bullshit, right? But we still want our phone to work and our plane to stay in the sky. Thanks Newton, you stud. Now THAT'S what science is all about.

Hit me back with your latest homily.

Letters
09-05-2023, 09:05 AM
A video about climate change and 911. Though not directly. But it does do a good job explaining scope, proportion and scale. Once you get a grasp on scale you can easily dismiss the climate change scam using compulsory common sense.
That video is talking about a one off event and how little impact it would have. You can't sensibly compare that to the couple of hundred years of us pumping stuff into the atmosphere and the effects that has had.
And anyone who knows the first thing about Relativity and Quantum Mechanics knows that scientific ideas are not necessarily common sense.

Niall_Quinn
09-05-2023, 10:27 AM
That video is talking about a one off event and how little impact it would have. You can't sensibly compare that to the couple of hundred years of us pumping stuff into the atmosphere and the effects that has had.
And anyone who knows the first thing about Relativity and Quantum Mechanics knows that scientific ideas are not necessarily common sense.

Did you really just say "a couple of hundred years"? Thus making my point? And proving you missed the point? Or was that humour?

Letters
09-05-2023, 11:44 AM
Did you really just say "a couple of hundred years"? Thus making my point?
So I think you're coming at this from a "but the earth has been around for billions of years" angle?
I mean yes, it has. And the climate has changed historically, more than it has over the last century. Right?

OK. All that can be true, but it can also be true that our actions over a couple of hundred years - mass deforestation and pollution - has had a measurable effect.
It's only in the last couple of centuries that we've had the population size and industrial scale to make a dent.

The video is talking about a one off action and how it wouldn't have any meaningful effect. But when it comes to our effect on the environment we're not talking about a one off action.
It's not a single tree or even forest felled, it's not a single coal powered factory. It's a global industry using resources and creating pollution for getting on for 2 centuries now.

Have you been to Delhi? The smog there...you can feel it poisoning you, even if you're just there for a few days. The climate has noticeably changed in my lifetime.

I personally think it's too late to do anything about all this by the way. There's no serious will to change and not enough people are willing to change their lifestyles to have an effect. I'm certainly not.

Mac76
09-05-2023, 01:33 PM
https://www.thenational.scot/news/23507587.coronation-viewing-figures-revealed-event-dwarfed-euros-final/

"the event doesn’t crack the top 10 list of Britain’s most-watched TV events."

Letters
09-05-2023, 01:57 PM
So?

The top show in a regular week these days gets around 6 and a half million.

Mac76
09-05-2023, 02:06 PM
So?

The top show in a regular week these days gets around 6 and a half million.

I know, I mainly thought it was funny because it's a Scottish newspaper seizing any opportunity to slag off the Coronation

Letters
09-05-2023, 02:08 PM
Fair enough :lol:

I have to say at 12:15 when they'd done the crowning bit I did wonder how the hell there could possibly be another 45 minutes.
It was pretty boring.

HCZ_Reborn
09-05-2023, 02:28 PM
https://www.thenational.scot/news/23507587.coronation-viewing-figures-revealed-event-dwarfed-euros-final/

"the event doesn’t crack the top 10 list of Britain’s most-watched TV events."

The national is an embarrassment, it makes the Mail and the Express seem objective.

At the moment it’s playing distraction because its beloved SNP have been shown to be the crooks it was always obvious they were.

Even Wings over Scotland as awful as that is, at least has an independent mindset.

HCZ_Reborn
09-05-2023, 02:30 PM
But to be honest the coronation isn’t exactly enthralling captivating entertainment. I wouldn’t expect a great deal of interest. If the lunchtime football was on I’d have probably watched that.

HCZ_Reborn
09-05-2023, 07:52 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65502076

This comes across like utter horse shit to me. He was never prosecuted for it in a criminal trial

So instead this woman comes after him for money. Of course she gets the chance because he can’t keep his fucking mouth shut…don’t get me wrong if you’re falsely accused of sexual assault you might not have flattering words for the accuser but your legal team might advise you to shut it (something he’s pathologically incapable of)

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I think Trump wouldn’t sexually assault women. In fact his history and attitude towards women suggests very much he would. But in Broad daylight in a massive department store, he’s stupid but not that stupid

Letters
09-05-2023, 08:40 PM
On the other hand

Trump :pal:

Mac76
09-05-2023, 08:50 PM
Fair enough :lol:

I have to say at 12:15 when they'd done the crowning bit I did wonder how the hell there could possibly be another 45 minutes.
It was pretty boring.

i didn't watch a nanosecond of it

Mac76
09-05-2023, 08:50 PM
On the other hand

:gp:

Letters
09-05-2023, 09:00 PM
i didn't watch a nanosecond of it

Off with your head! :sulk:

HCZ_Reborn
09-05-2023, 10:08 PM
On the other hand

Won’t really harm him at all, if Republican voters were prepared to vote for Roy Moore who had molested an underage girl they won’t blink at this.

All this will do is feed into the bullshit Trump speaks about being targeted by the courts, in this case this is untrue as it was a civil trial. In the case of weak sauce New York case of misusing campaign finance (which to some degree every presidential candidate has done) it looks like a witch hunt.

I get that people don’t want him to run for president especially with the headache he created last time, but they are going to have to accept that the Republicans had the opportunity to convict him in the senate and bar him from political office but they elected not to. So going to have to accept that you can only beat the guy at the ballot box.

Letters
10-05-2023, 09:37 AM
The hard core Trump cultists will, of course, not bat an eyelid at this.
The whole "I could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue" thing is depressingly true.
In fact, someone to I talk to in another corner of the internet said that "This is a win for Trump." :lol: and said that the result was because of an "activist court or judge" :lol:
There's no helping people like that.

But...you need more than the hardcore Trump support to win an election. He won in 2016 because of a big "Anyone but Hillary" vote, he lost in 2020 in part because of an "Anyone but Trump" one. And given his actions after the election and things like this - all these things add up and surely make him impossible to elect again.

HCZ_Reborn
10-05-2023, 12:29 PM
The hard core Trump cultists will, of course, not bat an eyelid at this.
The whole "I could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue" thing is depressingly true.
In fact, someone to I talk to in another corner of the internet said that "This is a win for Trump." :lol: and said that the result was because of an "activist court or judge" :lol:
There's no helping people like that.

But...you need more than the hardcore Trump support to win an election. He won in 2016 because of a big "Anyone but Hillary" vote, he lost in 2020 in part because of an "Anyone but Trump" one. And given his actions after the election and things like this - all these things add up and surely make him impossible to elect again.

The point is not whether he can win an election against Joe Biden (although I’d say he can, Biden has been a terrible president) but to avoid the spectacle where even if he loses he refuses to accept the result and drags the country through the same psychodrama again (which he will because that’s who he is)

But I’m sorry there’s no avoiding that, the republicans had the chance to stop him running for political office ever again and they didn’t take it. You’re not going to find a smoking gun against the guy in criminal investigations mainly because the worst shit he pulls is not technically illegal….they are political offences rather than criminal offences.

All this does is generate the deep state narrative, which even if most people don’t believe it…there’s enough who do to give it legs and justify all kinds of nefarious shit. Plus like with all conspiracies there is some truth to it, it does feel that he’s been targeted by the establishment….

Letters
18-05-2023, 10:50 AM
Disappointing news!

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/18/eurovision-abba-wont-perform-despite-sweden-hosting-on-50th-anniversary-18803297/

HCZ_Reborn
18-05-2023, 11:52 AM
Disappointing news!

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/18/eurovision-abba-wont-perform-despite-sweden-hosting-on-50th-anniversary-18803297/

I thought one of the women was a virtual recluse

Mac76
18-05-2023, 12:41 PM
Disappointing news!

A short statement from their 'representatives' doesn't prove anything :sulk:

Letters
18-05-2023, 02:06 PM
:lol: Touche.

For the record, I don't care. Although I reckon they should do one last tour. They could basically charge what they like.
They don't need to, but as they've been recording together again recently it would be good to go out with a bang.

LDG
18-05-2023, 05:11 PM
I think they should.

I wouldn’t go

Mac76
18-05-2023, 05:49 PM
The girls don't want to apparently and given the guys wrote the songs they must have 'quite a lot of money' so why bother...

LDG
18-05-2023, 10:03 PM
Great pop songs. But I think the girls are right. Leave it where it was.

Tits like primary school beanbags now.

Letters
19-05-2023, 05:56 AM

Letters
19-05-2023, 05:22 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65650532

Can we not get him spayed? :doh:

Letters
20-05-2023, 02:13 PM
Breaking news!!!!1!11!

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/20/phillip-schofields-departure-from-this-morning-confirmed-18816655/

HCZ_Reborn
20-05-2023, 03:25 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65650532

Can we not get him spayed? :doh:

Spayed is what you do to female dogs

Mac76
20-05-2023, 03:49 PM

shot then? that will do

Letters
20-05-2023, 04:29 PM

:lol: Every day’s a school day.

HCZ_Reborn
21-05-2023, 11:19 AM
Was in Tower Hamlets yesterday on the Whitechapel road and clearly not been there for many years because when coming out of the station I thought for a moment I was in Sylhet. Why for example does the entrance to the station have the name of the station in Bengali as well as English.

I don’t give a fuck about skin colour, but I do expect a measure of integration when people live here. Though that said I can’t say much because the English create our own monocultural pockets when we live abroad and the natives resent us just as much for it

Letters
21-05-2023, 03:12 PM
I went to Benelmadina many years ago. We flew there the day of an FA Cup quarter final which Arsenal were in. Dad and me were wondering if we’d find somewhere to watch it. Turned out there was almost nowhere we couldn't watch it. The whole place was endless Irish Pubs and Joe’s Caff. Awlful place.

Letters
23-05-2023, 12:05 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/23/rolf-harris-dies-aged-93-after-neck-cancer-battle-18830226/

Rolf :rose:

Shame he was a wrong 'un. Was a big fan back in the day.

HCZ_Reborn
23-05-2023, 12:06 PM
Rolf Harris has gone down under

Piece of shit