PDA

View Full Version : "Currants Bw..."

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 [129]

Letters
17-04-2024, 08:49 AM
The point is that to pray during the school day means you are requiring special treatment
There's plenty of precedent for that sort of thing.
Again, there's a difference between compelling religious participation and permitting it.
That said, I've read a bit more about this case and the school was permitting it until it was felt that a group of students praying in the playground was causing disruption and division.

I don’t believe the state should cater for religion in anyway
You'll be unsurprised to hear I disagree. It's pretty common for workplaces to make "reasonable adjustments" to meet staff needs.
We have a multi-faith room here (but this is a pretty woke, lefty organisation). I might even be a legal requirement for workplaces to do stuff like this but I'm no expert here. I guess the question is what is reasonable. I wouldn't expect any workplace or school to allow animal slaughter to pander to that. But having a space for someone to quietly pray, and allowing them to do that. I don't see what harm that does. The issue in this school seems to have been a large group which was thought to be disruptive. And apparently Islam does allow for people to "make up" prayers they missed. So, overall, I can see the girl's point but I think the school probably got this right.

HCZ_Reborn
17-04-2024, 09:45 AM
There's plenty of precedent for that sort of thing.
Again, there's a difference between compelling religious participation and permitting it.
That said, I've read a bit more about this case and the school was permitting it until it was felt that a group of students praying in the playground was causing disruption and division.

You'll be unsurprised to hear I disagree. It's pretty common for workplaces to make "reasonable adjustments" to meet staff needs.
We have a multi-faith room here (but this is a pretty woke, lefty organisation). I might even be a legal requirement for workplaces to do stuff like this but I'm no expert here. I guess the question is what is reasonable. I wouldn't expect any workplace or school to allow animal slaughter to pander to that. But having a space for someone to quietly pray, and allowing them to do that. I don't see what harm that does. The issue in this school seems to have been a large group which was thought to be disruptive. And apparently Islam does allow for people to "make up" prayers they missed. So, overall, I can see the girl's point but I think the school probably got this right.

The difference is Adults have freedom of religion, they get to chose what fictitious nonsense they want to believe

Children are inculcated into it. And schools should not encourage that….if the parents think it’s important either take them
To a country where the religion is part of society’s framework or just don’t tell the children the awful and evil lie that God will punish them for their failure to show him the proper obsequiousness several times a day.

Christianity has had to be de-fanged and diluted, because the Christendom of the medieval age would be unacceptable in today’s society. Islam has regressed into the totalitarian barbarism through the spread of doctrinal Wahhabism. Therefore for there to be any hope of integration, children need to learn to be attenuated from a totally evil faith.

Letters
17-04-2024, 10:03 AM
Christianity has had to be de-fanged and diluted
Again, unsurprisingly, I see it differently.
The Christianity I've experienced is well aligned with the Gospel teaching, the Christianity which brought us the Crusades does not.
As I think you've noted, in the middle ages most people didn't actually know what The Bible says anyway, they couldn't read or if they could they couldn't understand Latin.

HCZ_Reborn
17-04-2024, 10:35 AM
Again, unsurprisingly, I see it differently.
The Christianity I've experienced is well aligned with the Gospel teaching, the Christianity which brought us the Crusades does not.
As I think you've noted, in the middle ages most people didn't actually know what The Bible says anyway, they couldn't read or if they could they couldn't understand Latin.

I don’t think it’s completely fair to render the Old Testament which calls for genocide and slavery any less part of the Christian framework than gentle Jesus meek and mild.

It’s like those who say Islam is being misinterpreted by people, well it’s not really. Both books call for death to the non believer…and the Conquistadors genuinely considered themselves to be holy men of God, bringing the pacifying effect of the love of the Madonna to the savage world

Letters
17-04-2024, 10:52 AM
I don’t think it’s completely fair to render the Old Testament which calls for genocide and slavery any less part of the Christian framework than gentle Jesus meek and mild.

Why?

HCZ_Reborn
17-04-2024, 11:12 AM
Why?

Because obviously the people who produce the Bible think it’s important enough to include both

What I will say for the Old Testament crowd is that they at least left people alone after they died

Letters
17-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Because obviously the people who produce the Bible think it’s important enough to include both

What I will say for the Old Testament crowd is that they at least left people alone after they died

The Old Testament is certainly important, but the whole Bible is an emerging revelation.
Many of the laws in the Old Testament need to be understood in the cultural context and have been superseded by the New Testament.
"You have heard it said an eye for an eye, but I say to you..."

And so on.

HCZ_Reborn
17-04-2024, 12:05 PM
"But as for those enemies of mine who did not want me for their king, bring them here and slay them before me”

Luke 19:27

I’m pretty sure JC doesn’t mean have strong words with them

Letters
17-04-2024, 01:22 PM
That's in a parable. He's literally telling a story and those words are from a character in the story :blink:

Dude, no offence but you don't know what you're talking about here.

HCZ_Reborn
17-04-2024, 01:39 PM
That's in a parable. He's literally telling a story and those words are from a character in the story :blink:

Dude, no offence but you don't know what you're talking about here.

The parable is about how people should behave once he’s departed this world . And that those who reject his kingship are fucked.

Which kind of makes him Kim Il Sung

Letters
17-04-2024, 01:52 PM
So first you quote Scripture out of context to make it sound like a commandment when in fact it was a character in a story Jesus was telling.
Now you're shifting the goalposts and talking about what the parable is about. Incorrectly of course, that isn't the main message of the parable.

HCZ_Reborn
17-04-2024, 02:07 PM
So first you quote Scripture out of context to make it sound like a commandment when in fact it was a character in a story Jesus was telling.
Now you're shifting the goalposts and talking about what the parable is about. Incorrectly of course, that isn't the main message of the parable.

I’m saying there’s numerous examples of Jesus behaving in a way that in any modern context would see him labelled a maniac. Your argument is based on the belief (the false one in my view) that The New Testament is not simply of its time and its words which may be inspiring then seem to be a signposting towards despotism

And the Parable is about how he will occupy a heavenly throne, but that people need to accept him as their saviour now and those that do not are simply denying the truth to themselves and whether he’s talking about earthly punishment or eternal they will suffer for their failure to acknowledge him

Letters
17-04-2024, 02:10 PM
Your argument is based on the belief (the false one in my view) that The New Testament is not simply of its time and its words which may be inspiring then seem to be a signposting towards despotism
No it isn't.

And the Parable is about how he will occupy a heavenly throne, but that people need to accept him as their saviour now and those that do not are simply denying the truth to themselves and whether he’s talking about earthly punishment or eternal they will suffer for their failure to acknowledge him
No it isn't.

HCZ_Reborn
17-04-2024, 02:15 PM
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/smacking-children-must-be-banned-paediatricians-89knx2f0l?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0MzT-G_3iCB8cl8nfyeOUPxZgedY06DR2WRc4wxI8xSR0A0UqRYR5gS t0_aem_ASmB6Nc5j6ukl3pLR5Qn9-USGOk7VACghzVcTuH32FNVYxjLU_b3PSjjyFKaL0tecWAZCRbv MQHsoB8QnTy-X82y

Expect a lot of these kind of laws to be passed by Labour, no money to actually enforce them and will have the unintended consequence of loads of vexatious claims from the removal of the grey area

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s particularly clever to smack a child. I just don’t think it should be placed in the same category as beating the living fuck out of a child. And laws like this often are too zealous to make the distinction

Letters
17-04-2024, 02:54 PM
It's already been banned in Wales. It seems a bit strange. I mean, I don't think anyone thinks children should be beaten - well, if they do then there's already laws to deal with that.

Letters
28-04-2024, 06:38 PM
I had a very important work trip last week.
It was definitely not a jolly.
It was in Cairo and I cleverly arranged for an early evening flight on the day I was leaving which gave me the morning and early afternoon to go to the pyramids.
It was brilliant. 5 stars. Would recommend

WMUG
28-04-2024, 06:43 PM
How was the Pizza Hut?

Letters
28-04-2024, 06:46 PM
How was the Pizza Hut?

:lol: I’d heard about that! It is a bit disappointing how close that is but actually it didn’t spoil the experience. Most of the complex is away from that so the pyramids do feel like they’re in the middle of nowhere. You can see the city but it’s not as intrusive as I’d imagined from aerial shots.

Letters
01-05-2024, 05:42 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68891090

…I don’t think it was her disability which made him assume that :unsure:

HCZ_Reborn
01-05-2024, 08:22 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68891090

…I don’t think it was her disability which made him assume that :unsure:

In fairness to her, doctor shouldn’t have made that assumption…there are dating sites that cater for all tastes these days…so there must be one for crippled mutants to find each other

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1xpMDCWQAU78Mz.jpg

Letters
01-05-2024, 08:43 AM
Where do you think I found MrsL? :cool:

dazthegooner
01-05-2024, 09:15 AM

Take it she doesn't requent this board? ;)

HCZ_Reborn
01-05-2024, 09:29 AM

May she never find this thread

Letters
01-05-2024, 10:02 AM
For the record, although we did meet online it was on a site for God-botherers, not hideous trolls.

:p

HCZ_Reborn
01-05-2024, 10:12 AM
For the record, although we did meet online it was on a site for God-botherers, not hideous trolls.

:p

A distinction without a difference :pray: :lol:

Getting onto Religion, the Christian social conservatives are blaming secularism for woke.

Problem is woke is a nebulous term and although does have a clear and distinct meaning, it often means whatever one wants it to mean

Plus a lot of the stated objectives of woke - dealing with injustice, being kind to your fellow man (or non binary individual) ar Christian tenets. The argument seems to be that without fire and brimstone, people have lost their moral bearings.

It also uses secularism as an interchangeable with Atheism. I would imagine most Christians want to live in a secular society where religion is not enforced by the state and that faith is a private matter.

Plus I think what we call Christian culture is still enduring, just not the faith mechanism that goes with it.

I don’t want to replace one crazed millenarian ideology with another. Let people believe or not believe what they want

Letters
01-05-2024, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure I really understand what it means. I looked up a definition and that didn't make it much clearer to me.
If woke means consideration and empathy for others' feelings then I'm in.
But that can be conflict with other people's feelings. Trans women want to be allowed in women's bathrooms. Some actual women don't want that as it makes them feel unsafe. So then what do you do? Have a 3rd option? Or gender neutral ones (we have those at work, it's all individual cubicles which seems reasonable enough).

There's a line between representation and pandering/box-ticking. A lot of advertising and TV feels like the latter.
There's a cast of 5, say, and one of them has to be gay. Because of course 20% of people are.

HCZ_Reborn
01-05-2024, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure I really understand what it means. I looked up a definition and that didn't make it much clearer to me.
If woke means consideration and empathy for others' feelings then I'm in.
But that can be conflict with other people's feelings. Trans women want to be allowed in women's bathrooms. Some actual women don't want that as it makes them feel unsafe. So then what do you do? Have a 3rd option? Or gender neutral ones (we have those at work, it's all individual cubicles which seems reasonable enough).

There's a line between representation and pandering/box-ticking. A lot of advertising and TV feels like the latter.
There's a cast of 5, say, and one of them has to be gay. Because of course 20% of people are.

It’s largely about shoehorning things that might apply in America to other countries in the Anglosphere

Historically it’s not been peachy for Afro-Carribean people in the uk. IBK has recounted his own personal experience of racial abuse and being made to feel inferior by dickhead bullies. It’s not really something we’ve ever encountered but it’s not the same as in America.

The problem is it denies that any progress has been made since emancipation. It treats black people in the most appallingly patronising way and it encourages white people to feel guilty for no reason. There seems to be something positive about being marginalised that people want to claim the mantle.

I don’t feel marginalised or privileged. I think we’ve become obsessed with identity when it’s superficial and not that interesting, and it’s economic background rather than race which is a far larger determinant of how far you get in life.

I don’t feel guilty for what I am or what I think. But neither do I feel resentful against another group of people.

People adopted woke attitudes because they didn’t do the cost/benefit thinking, they went ahead and assumed it was kind.

The trans debate as you say is the perfect example of how if you give rights to certain people you risk taking them away from others. That and it’s clearly open to abuse from the worst kind of people

It overlaps with Islam in that way, the more freedom we give for religious expression the more we end up ceding our own rights to something which is deeply illiberal. Despite my banter, I leave Christianity alone because I don’t feel Christians presently trample on my right to free expression, but some of them are clearly itching for that opportunity in the name of anti woke.

WMUG
01-05-2024, 09:19 PM
The weirdest aspect of the whole US centrism thing was the George Floyd murder kicking off protests in the UK. Like, if you want to protest racism in the British police that's perfectly legitimate, but why was an American getting killed the spark for it? We're rioting on the streets here to protest racism over there? Or using a figurehead over there to rally against racism that occurs here?

It just seemed odd to me.

Letters
02-05-2024, 03:05 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68942962

I mean... :pal:

Mac76
02-05-2024, 06:05 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68942962

I mean... :pal:

She's quite tasty tbf

Letters
02-05-2024, 08:07 PM
Aye. Bit of a MILF

Mac76
02-05-2024, 09:36 PM
Aye. Bit of a MILF

I was talking about Olivia Rodrigo :lol:

LDG
02-05-2024, 11:40 PM

I’d whack both tbf

Letters
03-05-2024, 09:19 AM

Ah :lol:

What LDG said :good:

Mac76
03-05-2024, 10:12 AM
What LDG said :good:

not for me... sounds like I've a clear path to Olivia though :good:*

*I mean, no-one else knows about her, right...? :unsure:

Letters
03-05-2024, 10:23 AM
I'd not really heard of her, so go nuts

Mac76
03-05-2024, 10:32 AM
I'd not really heard of her, so go nuts

me neither :lol:

Letters
10-05-2024, 07:58 AM
Now the sun has come out the MILFs are out in force on the school run.

##

MILFs :bow:

HCZ_Reborn
10-05-2024, 08:19 AM
Now the sun has come out the MILFs are out in force on the school run.

##

MILFs :bow:

Look but nothing more, don’t do it to yourself

These mums of school age kids are Chardonnay guzzling psychos. Completely pre-occupied with status, as soon as they see another mother with a slightly nicer coat, a slightly better breast augmentation or a slightly newer Chelsea tractor they become like Patrick Bateman after seeing Paul Allen’s business card

Letters
10-05-2024, 08:39 AM
:lol:

Luckily I am something of a fanny magnet - magnet in the sense of repelling. So even if I wanted to do anything other than look it wouldn't be an option.

Letters
13-05-2024, 03:43 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw4dd90qgj9o

As if school wasn't boring enough :(

Letters
15-05-2024, 09:46 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cq5nnn53wldo

That's this year's Bowie :rose:

IBK
16-05-2024, 09:25 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c04348v8r9eo

Hahahaha

Letters
16-05-2024, 09:45 AM
A bit annoyed I missed all that last Friday.
Although I get the impression that the photos I saw the next day is mostly cameras being clever - as in, it didn't really look like that in real life.

Mac76
16-05-2024, 11:00 AM
Although I get the impression that the photos I saw the next day is mostly cameras being clever - as in, it didn't really look like that in real life.

I was too, until like you say people who saw it said it was nothing when looked at with the naked eye

I've seen the full spectacular NL's so i think I've not missed out

Niall_Quinn
16-05-2024, 07:08 PM

100% Every last one of those photos - fake. There was a bit of a glow up there, but pump up the filters and suddenly you too can sell erection pills on FaceFuck. We had glorious bullshit that you wouldn't even see in the northern reaches of Norway. But hell, it sells and people are ever more stupid.

Niall_Quinn
16-05-2024, 07:11 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c04348v8r9eo

Hahahaha

It was more impressive, at least.

Marc Overmars
16-05-2024, 08:33 PM

Yeah most of what we saw plastered on social media and the news are just heavily enhanced photos taken from a reduced light setting on cameras. Though to be fair I’ve seen them before in Iceland and they were quite prominent, so maybe in the dark countryside areas they were quite bright.

Letters
17-05-2024, 09:01 AM
Macca :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cq5n553p184o

Letters
17-05-2024, 02:03 PM
Hmm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-69026069

Probably a TILF, when dolled up.

Mac76
18-05-2024, 11:25 AM
Macca :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cq5n553p184o

"But Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who bought a 27.7% stake in Manchester United for about £1.25bn in February, suffered "considerable losses" and was among the biggest fallers on 2024's list."

:haha: