PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Olympiacos

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Good win

Xhaka Can’t
28-09-2011, 08:34 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2wwq7iWUV2U/TFnUaLYDH1I/AAAAAAAAABg/tx1xAA9gF0M/s1600/we+win.jpg

GP
28-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Good win.

PGFC
28-09-2011, 08:35 PM
:faint: we kept an early lead...and then won...wtf?

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Some good, some bad, some ugly Theo. Defence shit, just a matter of time before we get another hiding. Arshavin and Rosicky need to take a long hard look at themselves and then shoot Chamakh in the head.

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 08:37 PM
2nd half performance was a pretty good team performance.

First half, good attacking wise. Awful defensively

KESSLER
Good game, good win

Ollie the Optimist
so joker said if we won he would praise the team and not moan. lets see if he keeps to his word

Joker
Garbage performance in the first half. We improved somewhat in the second but against a better side we would definitely have lost. Wenger will undoubtedly use this result as a way to deflect criticism away from him, claiming we've turned the corner. Moreover, the "in Wenger we trust" brigade will return believing they've been vindicated. But make no mistake, this is a very poor Arsenal squad at the moment, and against higher quality opposition we will be found out.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Arsenal. :bow:

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Smudger said (three times) expectations have been lowered. He's right.

Ollie the Optimist
28-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Garbage performance in the first half. We improved somewhat in the second but against a better side we would definitely have lost. Wenger will undoubtedly use this result as a way to deflect criticism away from him, claiming we've turned the corner. Moreover, the "in Wenger we trust" brigade will return believing they've been vindicated. But make no mistake, this is a very poor Arsenal squad at the moment, and against higher quality opposition we will be found out.

this was you earlier
I'd praise the team because given the players we have playing today, to be able to get a win will be quite an achievement.

you always want to moan dont you you can never be happy with an arsenal win

Syn
A win is a win.Hope oxoface starts the next game.

Marc Overmars
Awful first half, improved 2nd.

In the context of the group, a very important 3 points. I think we face a real fight to get out of this group and it wouldn't surprise me if it goes right down to the final day.

Less said about the performance the better. That level of showing is becoming the norm these days. I was always the first to moan at the Cesc-led team but I must admit I'd take them over this lot any day of the week.

We're very average right now and my only hope is that quietly picking up results like this will help them grow in confidence.

Spurs must be pretty confident for Sunday.

fakeyank
28-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Per looks so bad on the ball but is a very good defender. Thats what we need at the back.. pity he has to play in a terrible defensive system and incompetent pricks like Kos, DJ and Squid..

Anyway good win to have.. OAC looked great! :scarf:

Shit scared about the Spurs game.. with a defense like that, we will be odds on favorites to get a hiding!!

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 08:41 PM
SHkjhskjfhdskjfny and Oxlade interview on SS2

McNamara That Ghost...
28-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Oxocube is a slightly better orator than say...Agbonlahor.

Joker
this was you earlier

you always want to moan dont you you can never be happy with an arsenal win

The first half was absolutely pathetic, misplaced passes, awful defending and no one taking control of the game. The second half was decent, but if we play like we did in the first 45 minutes at WHL we'll get stuffed.

server too busy!
Much better defensively second half, change of formation to 4411 it seemed

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 08:44 PM
A win is a win.Hope oxoface starts the next game.

Yep, his energy and raw talent and Arteta's Everton mindset and work ethic are really entertaining to watch. Something to look forward to until they learn the Arsenal way.

Oxo being interviewed now, he can speak English! Proper sentences and everything. Impressed so far.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Smudger said (three times) expectations have been lowered. He's right.

Not if you're part of the MOC.

Master Splinter
28-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Oxocube is a slightly better orator than say...Agbonlahor.

High praise :lol:.

gunnerrrrr
28-09-2011, 08:52 PM
my objective opinion:

Two big issues, we need to find a settled back four and midfield 3. With Cesc and Nasri gone and Wilshire injured, the lack of ball control is evident for all to see.

However Oxo is a big talent...a real talent no question...we have real wing attacking options in Theo, Oxo, Gervhino, the issue is that the midfield is currently so ineffective we will not see out true potential until the little man Jack is back.

Mert at the back looks good, yes he is slow, but he is positionally very very good.

We have the best keeper in the league...seriously

Finally i have no idead why Chamack got the nod ahead of the Korean chap, in fact why RVP came on instead of the Korean i have no idea.

Master Splinter
28-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Mertesacker was brilliant. Good defender.

Song was decent too, considering he rarely plays there and it was a patchwork team.

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Arteta, Chamakh and Szcesny had good games too.

Rosicky, Arshavin, Frimpong, Santos and even Sagna were either plain awful or sloppy.

Arsenal :bow:.

Cripps_orig
my objective opinion:

Two big issues, we need to find a settled back four and midfield 3. With Cesc and Nasri gone and Wilshire injured, the lack of ball control is evident for all to see.

However Oxo is a big talent...a real talent no question...we have real wing attacking options in Theo, Oxo, Gervhino, the issue is that the midfield is currently so ineffective we will not see out true potential until the little man Jack is back.

Mert at the back looks good, yes he is slow, but he is positionally very very good.

Finally i have no idead why Chamack got the nod ahead of the Korean chap, in fact why RVP came on instead of the Korean i have no idea.

:lol:

Hes decent but nowhere near the best

Marc Overmars
I think Frimpong is a good squad player for us.

He is just a GHEL.

Limited footballer but very dogged and played an important part in us restoring a bit of order in the 2nd half.

Dog Toffee
In Wenger I Trust.

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 08:54 PM
my objective opinion:

Seems like the Korean is in the dog house.

The Verminator
28-09-2011, 08:55 PM
my objective opinion:

I don't know but I just hope his absence and the fact my dog has gone missing are not linked! :(

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Pat Rice being praised on SS :bow:

Wenger :pal:

Time for Rice to step up and become manager.

Wenger :wave:

Coney
28-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Seems like the Korean is in the dog house.

He is Dagenham.

The Verminator

Not many better than him imo. Hart/Reina are best though.

Marc Overmars
Mertesacker was brilliant. Good defender.

I find him terrible to watch because he's so languid and cumbersome. Even playing a simple pass out of the defence looks like such a task for him. :lol:

Hasn't stopped him being effective for us though, he reads the game very well.

Germans. :bow:

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Reina by a mile is the best

Dog Toffee
28-09-2011, 08:57 PM

I think Sczczcezney is the best in the PL.

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 08:58 PM
I find him terrible to watch because he's so languid and cumbersome. Even playing a simple pass out of the defence looks like such a task for him. :lol:

Hasn't stopped him being effective for us though, he reads the game very well.

Germans. :bow:

He hasnt misplaced any passes from what ive seen but you can tell hes uneasy with it and at the end when he just had to boot it, he felt more comfortable. Very impressed with him so far

GunnerFan4Life
28-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Reina has been below his standards last 2 seasons. The media is recognising Chez atm. I'd say Hart is above him atm.

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I think Sczczcezney is the best in the PL.

Only because you won't spend any money on a top, top keeper. Stop bidding £2mill light, it's old.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Reina and Hart? It's unusual for those two to make mistakes.

Also, I'd quite like to see more of Mertesacker booting it clear. I fear we'll coach passing it out from the back in to him though, that's fine for some defenders but not all of them.

Master Splinter
28-09-2011, 09:02 PM

They have both been very shaky recently.

Szczesny had a few poor moments against Blackburn, but other than that has been excellent.

Even De Gea has been better than Reina. And Hart always fucks up his clearances. Could have been stronger in palming the ball away yesterday too.

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 09:02 PM

Also, I'd quite like to see more of Mertesacker booting it clear. I fear we'll coach passing it out from the back in to him though, that's fine for some defenders but not all of them.

He's old enough and experienced enough to avoid being fooled by our coaching. Surely?

Coney
28-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Sol Campbell knew to boot it clear. If things are dodgy in the area, just get the ball the hell away so the opposition can't score. Leave the fancy ball tricks to the forwards.

IBK
28-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Good and important win. Olympiacos were better than expected. Better composure second half and 3 points with a makeshift team. I call that progress.

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Good and important win. Olympiacos were better than expected. Better composure second half and 3 points with a makeshift team. I call that progress.

Don't stand under the other shoe when it drops.

The Verminator
28-09-2011, 09:08 PM
They have both been very shaky recently.

Szczesny had a few poor moments against Blackburn, but other than that has been excellent.

Even De Gea has been better than Reina. And Hart always fucks up his clearances. Could have been stronger in palming the ball away yesterday too.

I was thinking more overall quality than recent form. I will re-evaluate them once the season is over, by which time maybe Cheznut will have overtaken them (in my view).

Marc Overmars
28-09-2011, 09:09 PM
He's old enough and experienced enough to avoid being fooled by our coaching. Surely?

Well, our coaching killed one of the best players in Europe at the time of signing - Arshavin.

There is no antidote to Wengeritis.

Master Splinter
28-09-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't think Wenger can 'coach' simple technique and two-yard passes out of players.

After all, isn't that his specialty?

Arshavin's shitness is down to Arshavin.

It's Wenger's fault for playing him though.

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Well, our coaching killed one of the best players in Europe at the time of signing - Arshavin.

This

We all saw how good Arshavin was when we first got him then he had a full pre season under Wenger and Wengeritis was detected the following season

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 09:14 PM

I thought it was pies that killed Arshavin?

Master Splinter
28-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I was thinking more overall quality than recent form. I will re-evaluate them once the season is over, by which time maybe Cheznut will have overtaken them (in my view).

What has Joe Hart shown in overall quality though? He's been around only a little longer than Szczesny and our keeper does everything better than him.

Reina has been poor for a while.

Of course, it will take the media another five years to realise that they are not 'faultless'.

Or perhaps they never will, as generalisations and cliches are preferable to fact.

Fats
28-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Unimpressed

A good three points none the less.

As usual midfield did not help defend on the break.

Toothless in attack.

Ollie the Optimist
28-09-2011, 09:18 PM
This

We all saw how good Arshavin was when we first got him then he had a full pre season under Wenger and Wengeritis was detected the following season

nothing to do with him not running, turning up to pre season overweight? thats wengers fault too. if he doesnt run on the pitch or put effort in, no amount of coaching will make him do that.

Marc Overmars
28-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I thought it was pies that killed Arshavin?

Santos also looks like he's been on the pies.

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 09:19 PM
nothing to do with him not running, turning up to pre season overweight? thats wengers fault too. if he doesnt run on the pitch or put effort in, no amount of coaching will make him do that.

Wengers fault that Arshavin doesnt take players on anymore and plays the pass, pass, pass boring BS that we do these days

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Santos also looks like he's been on the pies.

But he has nice tights.

Master Splinter
28-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Wengers fault that Arshavin doesnt take players on anymore and plays the pass, pass, pass boring BS that we do these days

He doesn't do either.

Well he does, but fails spectacularly whilst attempting to.

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 09:27 PM
He doesn't do either.

Well, he does but fails spectacularly whilst attempting to.

Exactly

Wengers influence.

He used to fo it fine when he first came.

Wengeritis has done its work well

Boss
28-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Good win for us in the context of the group. Very impressed with Chamberlain, hope to see him start more for us in coming weeks.

Arteta was quality as well.

Chamakh, Rosicky and Arshavin were beyond dire, while our defense (Mertesacker apart) was abysmal. Spurs will love playing against that shower of shite.

Master Splinter
28-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Exactly

Wengers influence.

You said he doesn't take players on.

I said he does.

You've changed the goalposts of what constitutes Wengeritis.

Good WUMming :good:.

gunnerrrrr
28-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Exactly

Wengers influence.

Asharvin is not someone who is effective on the wing in a 433, he was awsome in a 442 on the wing.
He also changed completely mentally after Russia failed to make the world cup and since then his confidence has gone completely and he actually looks lost out their at times.

Wenger is at fault for alot of this, and he should try and use Asharvin in other ways to see if he can bring back the spark....under that fat there is a world class footballer just not sure we will ever see that player again

Master Splinter
28-09-2011, 09:33 PM
under that fat there is a world class footballer just not sure we will ever see that player again

:haha:

Marc Overmars
28-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Don't think Chakma was that bad.

For a start, I actually noticed he was on the pitch.

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Nowhere near bad.

Had a good game. Just needed a goal to top it off

Boss
28-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Missed two sitters.

Says it all, I'm afraid.

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 09:38 PM
You said he doesn't take players on.

I said he does.

You've changed the goalposts of what constitutes Wengeritis.

Good WUMming :good:.

I said he doesnt take them on ie he tries but fails which he hardly did when he first came.

Wengers fault

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Missed two sitters.

Says it all, I'm afraid.

Considering he didnt have any sitters in the game, thats impressive

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Asharvin is not someone who is effective on the wing in a 433, he was awsome in a 442 on the wing.
He also changed completely mentally after Russia failed to make the world cup and since then his confidence has gone completely and he actually looks lost out their at times.

Wenger is at fault for alot of this, and he should try and use Asharvin in other ways to see if he can bring back the spark....under that fat there is a world class footballer just not sure we will ever see that player again

Be careful what you wish for with Wenger. Last time he tried Arshavin in a different role it was as the lone striker.

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 09:45 PM
on the performance…
I think in the first 20-25 minutes we were really in it well. After that for about 15-20 minutes we maybe lost our way and they came back into it. Second half we had to knuckle in, fight and get our shape right which I thought we did better in the second half.

on Arsenal's goals…
It is unfortunate we didn't get the third but we also had opportunities on breakaways in the second half. They came, they waited for us, they broke us up in the middle of the park and in fairness they did well. You can't turn around and say we had all of the game because that would be unfair.

Needless to say I think we will be very, very happy with the three points.

on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain…
He can go inside, he can go outside, he's got that injection of pace and I think what he needs now is to be consistent in his play. I am sure that is something he will be working on because he's certainly not a stupid boy. He has good people around him and they are telling him all the right things.

He is a very confident boy, a strong boy and he listens to what people tell him. I think he makes his own mind up because when you are a professional footballer loads of different coaches tell you lots of different things. What you have to do is pick out the best things that are applicable to you. That is something Alex will no doubt actually do. He is very friendly with Theo and no doubt he will give him the benefit of his experience as well.

From Arsenal supporters' point of view, they are going to be seeing a lot of this boy. Whenever he breaks in permanently he has a big, big challenge to now get in front of Theo. I know that Theo is a very strong-willed guy as well and he won't give in easy. It all bodes well for England anyway.

on a nervous night for himself…
I said before we played Dortmund that it is not the kind of evening I particularly want. It's never actually been an ambition in my career to be a manager. I'm quite happy being a coach. But when decisions go against the manager, which in my personal opinion wasn't right, we have just got to get on with it.

on defensive performance…
I thought that in general they battled very hard. I think that as we went into the second half we were tighter in the second half than we were in the last 20 minutes of the first half. People can have the ball right and left but it wasn't really causing us too many problems. They have actually got a lot of the ball but in actual terms of what Szczesny has had to save I don't think there was all that many chances.

on the goal conceded…
It was soft, yes. From a defender's point of view it was really poor.

on Robin's omission…
Robin's been playing a lot of games lately and it was just a question of Chamakh needing games. We just thought that we would give him a go. You can't say that Marouane didn't try. If he had a little bit more luck he perhaps might have scored a third goal. But you cannot fault him for his work ethic.

on Olympiacos' performance…
I thought Olympiacos played very, very well and whenever we go over there to play, one would like to think we would have qualified.

on whether Oxlade-Chamberlain & Walcott could play together...
What you have to do is see whether the two of them can compliment each other - that is something I don't know, the manager does not know and the England manager does not know either because we have not seen them together.

You can think as much as you like, but until it actually happens you are only formulating an opinion of your own. All good players can play together.

on Tottenham...
That is a completely different ball game at Tottenham The most important thing for us was to win, because it takes us closer to qualifying. We will think more about the Tottenham game when we all get together again on Friday. I am losing track of time - when you get older, that is what happens to you!

This is Pat Rices view

Marc Overmars
28-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Pat Rice. :bow:

Unbeaten Arsenal manager.

Cripps_orig
28-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Word on the street is he was the mastermind behind the Invincibles but then Wenger took full control and the rest as they say is history. not true obviously

Letters
28-09-2011, 10:04 PM
A mix of decent play at times with worrying defensive frailty at others. I thought the effort was generally good though and Mertesacker was excellent. Sagna was a bit shaky at times which is unlike him. Chamakh...well, he did his best and put the effort in.

Letters
28-09-2011, 10:12 PM

Rubbish. One of the best players in Europe? Behave.
One of the best at pie eating contests maybe.

Özim
28-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Didn't catch the match today but a much needed win nonetheless, glad to see Oxo is already delivering on his potential...puts others to shame, but talent shines through.

Decent start in the CL, I think the group stages were always going to be OK for us to get through looking at the other teams, it's once we get to the knockout stages we should worry.

Are Olympiakos that side that struggle to ever win away in the CL btw?

Power n Glory
28-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Decent game from Chamakh. Needs to score but he looked more sharp. Did well to create space for Ox's goal, should have had an assist with that nice pass and should have scored with a header and that chance that fell to his left foot. When he went off for RVP it was noticable. RVP hardly touched the ball and coudn't get involved with the link up play.

Chamberlain got his debut goal. Good run and finish with his left. Could have scored a second but the keeper rad the chip. Look comfortable on the ball but can't leave Sagna that exposed down the flanks.

Santos looked good as well. Arshavin was no help to him down the flanks but he looked more solid on defence in the second half. I like his runs forwards, he can dribble and also has an eye for the pass or cross. Strong as well and won't get bullied easily.

Merts was impressive. Calm at the back, read the game well, dealt with what ever came his way, didn't dive in... Good game. Just a shame that the overall display of the defence. Sagna was poor, but Oxlade left him exposed a bit, dame goes for the opposite side with Arshavin. He shouldn't be starting games for us when he plays like this. Really poor. But, I'll cut him some slack because a few weeks ago he looked sharp and dangerous.

Not impressed with Arteta, Frimpong or Ramsey. Rosicky was the best of our midfield players and he should have stayed in the centre. His first touch, passing and movement was on point and better than the rest of his peers. Arteta just isn't involved in the build up play, Ramsey is just hit and miss and Frimpong had no authority. We need to sort the middle out. Roles need to be definded quickly.

Daniele
29-09-2011, 07:16 AM
to me our midfielders left our back four too exposed especially on the franks as Frimpong did quite well in the holding role. Sagna had to understand he couldn't venture forward as much as he did, but Chambo and Arshavin helped very little and so did Rosicky in the middle.

Arteta had a good game, starting to make us tick and dictating tempo. Merts is very dependable: 5 times he played for us, 5 times I've seen him play like this. No-nonsense, uncimpromosing, solid.

Chamakh didn't play as bad as he does..I mean..I even noticed he was on the pitch, but missed a golden chance to make it 3-0-

gunsofashburtongrove
29-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Good win. We were caught out a few times at the back and for once its not the CD's who were responsible. Oxo and frimpong in particular and guilty of loosing procession and misplaced passed. Frimpong and Sagna getting out muscled on a few a occasions as well. Song was really good at the back and it was his long ball from the deep finding Oxo for the first goal. My MOTM. Santos seemed to gain confidence and improved in attack and defense as the game wore on and took the goal well. While it is unfashionable to say so thought Chamakh had a good game in a long time -few poor finishes but put in a solid shift. Arteta did his usual solid, good passing the few times he misplaced a pass came back to recover it and the goal line block of what looked like a certain goal was not his only defensive contribution great buy by the looks. Rosicky another unfashionable player while not being outstanding looks better in that position than Ramsey has done. Arshavin was poor in the match bar few attempts at running at the defenders on the counter. Frimpong was poor as was Sagna unusually. Oxo had a mixed game. I thought the substitutions were imagination and conventional keeping up with our business strategies. A match coming up with spurs in the weekend and you bring in three players who are either injury prone or have just returned from big injuries in a match were the opposition was running the players ragged and out muscling this was surprising as was not getting in the Coquelin who's energy could have been put to use

server too busy!
29-09-2011, 08:09 AM
I thought Santos had a good game, seems confident on the ball and makes clever runs with a decent final ball too. Seemed to defend well as well and looks capable of handling the physical game.

AOC played well, but was a bit naive defensively, he needs to learn that side of the game a bit more. Didn't track runs when Sagna was caught out of position or double teamed.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Rubbish. One of the best players in Europe? Behave.
One of the best at pie eating contests maybe.

Didn't see Arshavin before we signed him then?

GP
29-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Didn't see Arshavin before we signed him then?

don't you start with that shit. you're better than that.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Was a genuine question. He was awesome for Zenit and Russia in 2008 and the talk of Europe. It was considered quite a coup when we got him but for one reason or another he turned into the fat fuck we see today.

Syn
29-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Was a genuine question. He was awesome for Zenit and Russia in 2008 and the talk of Europe. It was considered quite a coup when we got him but for one reason or another he turned into the fat fuck we see today.

Agreed.

A bit pedantic calling you up on the 'one of the best in Europe' - regardless, he was bloody good. Now he's bloody awful. The change has been massive. You can't know for sure if it was Wenger with this one...I think someone like Theo would've been a better player by now elsewhere; somewhere where pace and directness is encouraged. With most talented, top footballers (of which Arshavin was one), I think football is all they have. Arshavin just seemed to out-grow it and football is just a job for him. I don't think he is bothered that he doesn't start most games.

IBK
29-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Wenger leeches confidence out of players like a managerial bell jar by playing a brand of football that is so fucking difficult to make work that its like trying to cycle with the brakes stuck on.

IBK
29-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Decent game from Chamakh. Needs to score but he looked more sharp. Did well to create space for Ox's goal, should have had an assist with that nice pass and should have scored with a header and that chance that fell to his left foot. When he went off for RVP it was noticable. RVP hardly touched the ball and coudn't get involved with the link up play.

Chamberlain got his debut goal. Good run and finish with his left. Could have scored a second but the keeper rad the chip. Look comfortable on the ball but can't leave Sagna that exposed down the flanks.

Santos looked good as well. Arshavin was no help to him down the flanks but he looked more solid on defence in the second half. I like his runs forwards, he can dribble and also has an eye for the pass or cross. Strong as well and won't get bullied easily.

Merts was impressive. Calm at the back, read the game well, dealt with what ever came his way, didn't dive in... Good game. Just a shame that the overall display of the defence. Sagna was poor, but Oxlade left him exposed a bit, dame goes for the opposite side with Arshavin. He shouldn't be starting games for us when he plays like this. Really poor. But, I'll cut him some slack because a few weeks ago he looked sharp and dangerous.

Not impressed with Arteta, Frimpong or Ramsey. Rosicky was the best of our midfield players and he should have stayed in the centre. His first touch, passing and movement was on point and better than the rest of his peers. Arteta just isn't involved in the build up play, Ramsey is just hit and miss and Frimpong had no authority. We need to sort the middle out. Roles need to be definded quickly.

I'd go with that apart from Arteta whom I thought had a decent enough game. Unusually, bit of a shocker from Sagna. As usual, bit of a shocker from Arshavin. Chamakh suffered from having the Russian in the front 3.

Letters
29-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Tbh I don't follow football in this country that much these days let alone throughout Europe so no, I hadn't seen him.
But he cost what, £20m or less? I doubt we'd have got away with paying that for 'one of the best players in Europe'.
He was rated but I think you're over-stating it.

I'm not sure where this idea that Wenger can't coach came from. The Emirates era hasn't been successful in terms of trophies but on a relative shoestring Wenger's kept us top 4 (till last season at least) by buying players young and developing them. That suggests a certain ability in terms of coaching and developing players.

LDG
29-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Agreed.

A bit pedantic calling you up on the 'one of the best in Europe' - regardless, he was bloody good. Now he's bloody awful. The change has been massive. You can't know for sure if it was Wenger with this one...I think someone like Theo would've been a better player by now elsewhere; somewhere where pace and directness is encouraged. With most talented, top footballers (of which Arshavin was one), I think football is all they have. Arshavin just seemed to out-grow it and football is just a job for him. I don't think he is bothered that he doesn't start most games.

Yup.

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2011, 11:29 AM
blaming wenger for arshavins form is just wrong imo. yesterday when they had that shot that hid the crossbar in second half, arshavin was about a metre away from the player before he shot and did he move? did he fuck he just stood there and watched. thats not wengers fault thats his fault. he is slow to get up when tackled, doesnt track back and is unfit. thats not wengers fault thats the players fault and his attiude

LDG
29-09-2011, 11:36 AM
blaming wenger for arshavins form is just wrong imo. yesterday when they had that shot that hid the crossbar in second half, arshavin was about a metre away from the player before he shot and did he move? did he fuck he just stood there and watched. thats not wengers fault thats his fault. he is slow to get up when tackled, doesnt track back and is unfit. thats not wengers fault thats the players fault and his attiude

Yet, if Wenger demands full control of the team, in all capacity, then he is ultimately at fault.

Coney
29-09-2011, 11:37 AM
We don't know how Arseshavings would have coped in the PL in a different club so it is not fair to assume that Wenger has screwed him up. There are a number of players who have come to the PL, not been able to handle it, and then returned to their own or a different country and become 'great' again.

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2011, 11:43 AM
We don't know how Arseshavings would have coped in the PL in a different club so it is not fair to assume that Wenger has screwed him up. There are a number of players who have come to the PL, not been able to handle it, and then returned to their own or a different country and become 'great' again.

forlan being the greatest example of that. couldnt hit a barn door yet now is a top european striker

Coney
29-09-2011, 11:46 AM
forlan being the greatest example of that. couldnt hit a barn door yet now is a top european striker

Good example. Now I don't see people saying that SAF was a wanker* because Dago Foreskin could not get it on. Double standard by some people.

* Not to say they don't call him a wanker, just not for this reason.

LDG
29-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Good example. Now I don't see people saying that SAF was a wanker* because Dago Foreskin could not get it on. Double standard by some people.

* Not to say they don't call him a wanker, just not for this reason.

No, but if a player doesn't pull his weight, he gets the boot.

Forlan, from what I saw, didn't lack work ethic. He just didn't fit in.

Man management is what it's about. There is a massive difference between Wenger and Fergie in that respect. And you're lying yo ass off if you say otherwise.

Power n Glory
29-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Struggling for form is one thing, but there is no excuse for not working hard.

For the goal they scored, he was marking nobody and could have picked up the guy that got the free header and he stood and watched as that shot rattled our bar. Wenger shouldn't pick him if he's going to play that way. No point in making excuses for him saying it's a lack of confidence. Sometimes it is but at times he looks plain lazy.

I don't know, maybe Wenger has told him to stay forwards and save his energy if he's struggling on defence. Some coaches do that when they have players that are more lethal on attack. Watched a documentary on Ginola a few days ago and Keegan told Ginola not to worry about defence and just attack. Worked a treat. Could be the same for Arshavin. Maybe Wenger has told him to focus on attacj since he's struggling with his form.

Coney
29-09-2011, 12:02 PM
No, but if a player doesn't pull his weight, he gets the boot.

Forlan, from what I saw, didn't lack work ethic. He just didn't fit in.

Man management is what it's about. There is a massive difference between Wenger and Fergie in that respect. And you're lying yo ass off if you say otherwise.

You leave my ass alone, gaydo.

I agree there is a massive difference between Wenger and Fergie in how they manage their players. However, what that means is that they will presumably buy different players partly depending on how they feel they can motivate them. Some people respond to a kick up the arse, some respond better to gentle guidance.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Forlan was just a young lad fresh out of South America though. No experience of European football, culture or anything.

You can't say the same for Arshavin who was a well established player.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Didn't catch the match today but a much needed win nonetheless, glad to see Oxo is already delivering on his potential...puts others to shame, but talent shines through.

Decent start in the CL, I think the group stages were always going to be OK for us to get through looking at the other teams, it's once we get to the knockout stages we should worry.

Are Olympiakos that side that struggle to ever win away in the CL btw?

This, a wib is what we needed and a win is what we got. No team cares much about perfomaces in the group stages. Eveb Barca are not at their best (Scary i know).

On to Marsille tbh

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Tbf its not hard to be Awlsoem for Zenit tbh, even thought they are a good team they are not a world class team are they. As for Arshavin, he has has always been lazy even before we got him and euro 2008 is a good example for that.

Even though he had some good games he disapered in big games too when Russia needed him. Right now he is not motivated and would like to be playing with better players around him but needs to be more professional.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Tbf its not hard to be Awlsoem for Zenit tbh, even thought they are a good team they are not w awold class team are they. As for Arshavin, he has has always been lazy even before we got him and euro 2008 is a good example for that.

Zenit won the Uefa Cup that year with Arshavin playing a starring role, not sure what them not being world class has to do with his ability to perform. I don't get the logic, we're not a world class team either but he's pretty average for us.

His performances at Euro 2008 threw him into the spotlight, he was one of the players of the tournament, in fact probably the best player outside the Spanish squad. So I have no idea how you've come to the conclusion that Euro 2008 illustrated his poor work ethic.

Maybe it is harsh to blame Wenger fully, but I really don't believe this is the same guy we signed in Jan 2009. He was so explosive. Now he can barely do the basics right, consistently gives away the ball and we'll be lucky to see him take on and beat his man just once in a game.

server too busy!
29-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Forlan was just a young lad fresh out of South America though. No experience of European football, culture or anything.

You can't say the same for Arshavin who was a well established player.

Veron then.....

Marc Overmars
29-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Veron then.....

A better example. :good:

No one is flawless, even Rednose.

Özim
29-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Tbf its not hard to be Awlsoem for Zenit tbh, even thought they are a good team they are not w awold
Flavs?

Kano
01-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Zenit won the Uefa Cup that year with Arshavin playing a starring role, not sure what them not being world class has to do with his ability to perform. I don't get the logic, we're not a world class team either but he's pretty average for us.

His performances at Euro 2008 threw him into the spotlight, he was one of the players of the tournament, in fact probably the best player outside the Spanish squad. So I have no idea how you've come to the conclusion that Euro 2008 illustrated his poor work ethic.

Maybe it is harsh to blame Wenger fully, but I really don't believe this is the same guy we signed in Jan 2009. He was so explosive. Now he can barely do the basics right, consistently gives away the ball and we'll be lucky to see him take on and beat his man just once in a game.
entirely down to the player

if you are under performing in your job but on a great wage what do you do? sit around like a cunt collecting the dosh or man the fuck up and realise what you need to do? which means either moving somewhere else or shaping up

sure, footballers are pussies at the best of times but to mope around this long and let the blame lay elsewhere marks you out as a massive fanny

Syn
01-10-2011, 12:29 AM
entirely down to the player

if you are shit at your job in work but on a great wage what do you do? sit around like a cunt collecting the dosh or man the fuck up and realise what you need to do? which means either moving somewhere else or shaping up

sure, footballers are pussies at the best of times but to mope around this long and let the blame lay elsewhere marks you out as a massive fanny

You should be able to go a little further.

Being allowed to collect the dosh whilst being a pussy is who's fault?

Kano
01-10-2011, 12:31 AM
if you have a contract you know you can sit out and you know your next wont exceed your current deal, wtf can anyone do about it except the guy collecting the wage

and that old transfer listing fantasy league nonsense is fan dreamland and nowhere near approaching competent man/team management

Syn
01-10-2011, 12:41 AM
if you have a contract you know you can sit out and you know your next wont exceed your current deal, wtf can anyone do about it except the guy collecting the wage

In general, I disagree - because I think every player has a contract that they can just "sit out". Motivation is a key aspect of management and managers are there to ensure that players earn their money. But in this case - to be fair, I don't think it's Wenger's fault Arshavin's so shit. I think it's Wenger's fault a lot of other players play shit though. Unfortunately for us, Arshavin is just not stupid enough. Players lacking in perspective - players like Wilshere; fotba is all they know. Arshavin seems to be annoyingly intelligent and has some perspective. Like many of us won't go the extra mile in our jobs, fatsharvin won't go the extra metre. It's just a job.